Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TIP] Raw logging on nuvi 2xx/5xx/7xx/1xxx/37xx
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

GpsShopper

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  03:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20100719 : Raw logging is also available on the nuvi 37xx series, see details on page 49
UPDATED 20091106 : Member adamschneider has created a facility in GPS Visualizer that can read and output the gps.bin files generated by the Garmin Nuvi devices.

Convert to GPX: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?convert_output=gpx
Draw a Google Map: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=google
Make a KML file: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

The nav.bin files are NOT supported.

UPDATED 20090725 : The hidden data logger can be activated on the nuvi 1xxx series by a long press on the "compass" on the left side of the "trip computer" screen. As usual you need a satellite lock to activate recording.

UPDATED 20090429 : Forum member HalliHallo has kindly compiled a PDF document summarizing the contents of this topic click >> HERE << to view it.

Note that on the 2x5 models the gps.bin file is in \debug
UPDATED 20090406 : It turns out the hidden raw data logger has been there all the time, as an "easter egg" requiring a specific sequence that dcnuvi found by accident and that emmexx managed to recreate :
quote:
Enter "Where am I" (from the tools menu or clicking on the arrow icon on the navigation map)
then click in the following order on:
1. Nearest Junction (header of Nearest Junction/Intersection)
2. Nearest Address (header of Nearest Address)
3. Nearest Address (header of Nearest Address)
4. Nearest Junction (header of Nearest Junction/Intersection)
Bingo, the logging menu is there !

If you make a mistake you must exit the "Where am I" menu and start again. As a side effect the "screen shot" icon appears.

[ed]It's fairly obvious but it puzzled me at first, if you don't have a fix, the menus are greyed out unless logging is already active. I noticed it survives a restart and that you can deactivate the screenshot feature in tools/settings/display.

Tested so far on the nuvi 2x5, 2x5w, 550, 760, 755.

UPDATED 20090316 : Raw Tracklog can be now be enabled again on the nuvi 7x0 with software v4.60, see details on page 28.

REMINDER : as suggested by a forum member, this has already been discussed before, but a reminder can never hurt, flashing your GPS with an unofficial firmware version (be it to enable the raw logger or revive your dead GPSwith the "cure firmware) is something you are doing under your sole responsibility and it means you will not be able to get support from Garmin in case of a problem with your GPS in the future.
TIP - ACTIVATING HIDDEN TRACK LOG FEATURE
nüvi 2xx, nüvi 7xx

Useful links :
Decoding tool programmed by popej : >> DETAILS <<
Compared to nüvi 7xx built-in logger : >> DETAILS <<

UPDATED 20080526 - popej has added a GUI to his nuvitrak tool, details here on page 14.

UPDATED 20080205 - HOW TO KEEP THE HIDDEN LOGGER WHEN UPDATING : quite by accident I realized that the "hidden track log" feature that was quickly removed by Garmin actually survives a software update, provided the logging mode was active prior to the update. z.entropic wrote a how to if you want to use that trick and popej updated his nutrak conversion tool.

UPDATED 20071117 : the v3.50 update for the 2xx series REMOVES the hidden logging mode, see here for the changelog from v3.40 to v3.50.

UPDATED 20071111 : hidden log feature can be activated on the 7xx series too, tested to work with FW2.20. Compared to the built-in track feature it records the raw data apparently, not the "snapped to road" data.

NOTE BY GPSPASSION : track recorded in binary format, use the tool written by popej to convert to .gpx, link is below.

I just updated my Nuvi 250 to 3.40 and I notice that Garmin has added the possibility to record the travel log. This features could be found in the hidden menu which could be accessed by pressing and holding on the speedometer for about 10 sec. Press next to go to the Travel log screen. From this, I could start a new log or replay an existing log. I haven't tried to connect the Nuvi to the PC to see what I could do with the log files. Does anyone has more experience with this new feature?

Log screen - Logging in progress:

Log entries - Play back param:

Play back in progress:

REMINDER 20120707 : Jotne reports that if you leave the hidden track log stored in the internal memory of your Nuvi it can grow in size over time. It is possible that the file can become so big that little free space remains in internal storage and this can cause the unit to slow down considerably. Of course this is a much bigger issue on devices with only 2GB of internal storage space.

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 07 juil. 2012 16:01:44

Ads

bachastain

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  13:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rats, that doesn't work with my 650 on 4.1.

Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  13:16:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow is right. I'll bet jotne has already pressed a hole in the screen trying to reach that page [grin]. I know I did. I have fired up both the 350 and 680, running 5.0 and 4.10, and no luck.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  13:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to update my 250 to see what it looks like.
I'll be back.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

shorelinedeals

13 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is the odometer located to press and hold? would this be on the 200?
Go to Top of Page

plmnwater

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just upgraded, this trick works on my 200. The caveat is that after I recorded a log, when I went to play it back it did a "data abort" shut down. It restarted fine though.

It's actually the Speedometer you hold down, on the 200 at least. The first page is a list of error dates/info. The second page is the track page.

To get to the speedometer page, from the mapping page you click on the arrival time/speed part on the bottom left corner. Then if you hold your finger over the speedometer, compass, or just the top left corner for 8-10 seconds it will take you to the hidden screens.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although pressing the top left corner of the Speedo screen brings up a ton of information on my 350 running 5.00, none of it seems to be 'track' related. Oh well , thinking about getting a 750/60 for Christmas anyway.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  16:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could we have a few screen captures of the track screen?

Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. No such thing on the 760.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:27:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice catch, works on a euro 250 too and I also had the initial "reboot". Must be some type of debugging mode or they're thinking of adding it as an official feature in the future ;-)

The bad news is that it gets recorded (in \Garmin\Logs\) as a binary gps.bin file that can't be opened with a text editor so you couldn't use it to geotag your pictures.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  00:35:53  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
File format of gps.bin is very simple, no problem with conversion to gpx. It goes like this:

Header 48 bytes:
4B string - text "BEGN"
4B int - GPS week number, starting at 22.8.1999
4B int - second of a week
4B float - heading in radians
8B double - longitude in radians
8B double - latitude in radians
12B ??
4B int - 0 or number of records

record 28 bytes:
4B string - text "$$$$"
4B int - timestamp in miliseconds
8B double - latitude in radians
8B double - longitude in radians
4B float - heading in radians

An example of recorded track in Mapsource:

popej

Edited by - popej on 14 oct. 2007 17:50:41
Go to Top of Page

Jibee

Switzerland
100 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  10:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Nice finding. And thanks Popej for these explanations.

Unfortunately I don’t have Mapsource, do you think it would be possible to convert these data for reading them with Google Earth or with another free software?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  16:01:46  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can try yourself. Experimental converter "nutrak" is here:
http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html

popej
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  16:18:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work, I copied nutrak.exe to the 250 and run directly from there. Do you think you could upload the track to the server using this method I had trouble downloading from your link.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  16:39:30  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your link point to this thread or am I missing something?

You can use direct link, but this will dissapear when I upgrade program version:
http://www.anpo.republika.pl/files/wnutrak015.zip

popej

Edited by - popej on 16 janv. 2009 23:00:25
Go to Top of Page

Jibee

Switzerland
100 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  21:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dear Popej... IT WORKS!!

You are the king!!

Edited by - Jibee on 14 oct. 2007 08:04:17
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  09:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would guess Garmin then adds tracklog on both 3xx and 6xx

Strange that Garmin do not mention it:
Changes made from version 3.30 to 3.40:

Corrected issue where searching help files could return non-relevant topics.
Corrected issue when doing searches with multiple maps loaded.
Corrected issue with mass storage mode on Mac Computers.
Corrected issue with proximity points in areas with many roads causing the map to draw slower.
Improved the appearance of some Spanish punctuation marks.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 14 oct. 2007 09:55:24
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  10:54:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, this is really cool - anyone tried this with a Nüvi 200?

Latest firmware shown for 200W on https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00656-10&cID=134&pID=9122support is 2.60, Sep 07 ... Loading 3.4 could work, almost sure these units are very close (CPU, Memory, Architecture) but I could just turn my 200 into a "brick" ...

GPS Mapmaker [www.cGPSMapper.com] using Nüvi 200 - MapSource Version 6.13.4 / Southern African Streetmaps Version 1.5 / Tracks4Africa Version 7.10 [www.Tracks4Africa.com]
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  11:18:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't try using a 2xx fw on 2xxW ! You can get a datalogger for $50 ;-)

@jotne - this is a hidden feature at this point, thus no reason to mention it in the change log.
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  11:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion: Version 3.4 is shown as an update for 200 so (being adventurous!) I have upgraded (only difference between the 200 & 200W is screen size). Did not "brick" the unit, everything is still working 100% BUT the "Tracklog Menu" does not show up :( Maybe hidden somewhere else ...

Yep, often discussed buying a data logger - we have a 276C we use for recording track logs - it would be neat if the 200 would do it as well as we "share" the units in our work, the 276C doing duty both as a navigational unit in the city and a "logger" out in the country, the 200 only as a navigational device.

Oh well, was worth the try ...

GPS Mapmaker [www.cGPSMapper.com] using Nüvi 200 - MapSource Version 6.13.4 / Southern African Streetmaps Version 1.5 / Tracks4Africa Version 7.10 [www.Tracks4Africa.com]
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  12:10:58  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess that your nuvi refused to flash wrong update. Check software version in settings -> system -> information.

popej
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  12:12:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plmnwater

I just upgraded, this trick works on my 200. The caveat is that after I recorded a log, when I went to play it back it did a "data abort" shut down. It restarted fine though.

It's actually the Speedometer you hold down, on the 200 at least. The first page is a list of error dates/info. The second page is the track page.
To get to the speedometer page, from the mapping page you click on the arrival time/speed part on the bottom left corner. Then if you hold your finger over the speedometer, compass, or just the top left corner for 8-10 seconds it will take you to the hidden screens.

And that's on a plain 200?

Hmmm... Interesting. My first page is "Shutdowns" (Blank). Next page is "Stacks". Then "TSK Mem Statistics". Then "Nonvol Info" (these last three pages have all kinds of "debug" type info on them). Then "Message Banners" (Blank). Then it wraps back to the first page

Firmware I downloaded is dated 14th October and is 3,905,024 bytes in size ... Wonder if they turned the "hidden feature" off

The "Diagnostics Pages" (hold down on battery icon for 8 - 10 seconds) works now, that did not work before. So something has changed.

I think I must take this back and swop it for a 200 (only purchased last week and there is a 14 day return / swapout policy at the store).

The 276 actually belongs to the guy I work for on contract. He mocked my 200W purchase - "not a proper GPS ..." "no tracklogs ..."

Really need this to work. Anyone?

Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  12:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by popej

I guess that your nuvi refused to flash wrong update. Check software version in settings -> system -> information.

Shows:

nuvi 200W
Software Version 2.20
Unit ID: (whatever, it's correct)
Audio Version: 2.30
GPS SW Version: 2.90s

Thanks, you could be right - what's does you unit show?

Regards - Rob

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 14 oct. 2007 12:37:40
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  14:32:28  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My is:

nuvi 200
Software Version 3.40

It's 3.40 software that brings tracklog feature. Last version for 200W is 2.60, but I doubt it has trackloging, because nobody raported it. Maybe next release?

popej
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  15:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by popej

My is:

nuvi 200
Software Version 3.40

It's 3.40 software that brings tracklog feature. Last version for 200W is 2.60, but I doubt it has trackloging, because nobody raported it. Maybe next release?

Thanks for the feedback - I am sure you are right (in that the unit did not accept the 3.40 upgrade as you suggested earlier, although I got no errors from the updater ...)

I have just bought this 200W, mainly to test if it's suitable for the "3rd party maps" we develop & test. So I have the option of returning it within 14 days so I guess I will be doing just that and swapping it for a 200... 200 is a almot 60 Euros cheaper as well

Thanks also for your Nutrak utility.

- Rob

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 14 oct. 2007 15:55:53
Go to Top of Page

shorelinedeals

13 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  19:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
funny, my 200 was acting the same way as WRX1KNP. i could get to the hidden screen but got the same menu screens with no mention of the tracklog. so i went and checked my software version and sure enough its 3.30 and not 3.40 even though as far as i knew i was upgrading to 3.40.
i'll try doing a web update later tonight and see if it takes.
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  19:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look forward to hearing the (web update) outcome ... I tried using web update but unfortunately it only wants to take the unit to V2.60 (it's a 200W, not a 200 - V2.60 dated 7th Sep. is the latest for the 200W).

I did my V3.4 update by downloading the full 200 file (3.72 MB/ 3 ,905,024 bytes) and doing a direct update from the laptop. But it did not seem to take. Comforting, in a way - in the past you could "brick" your unit if you loaded the wrong stuff

I still think I will call the dealer 2mrow and try and do a swap (and take a cash back credit!) for a 200. Just hope it works on that. No one else in South Africa seems to have tried this yet although I have posted a link on the SA Forums with the good news ...

- R

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 14 oct. 2007 19:20:33
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  19:43:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shorelinedeals

funny, my 200 was acting the same way as WRX1KNP. i could get to the hidden screen but got the same menu screens with no mention of the tracklog.

FWIW, this is also what I get when pressing and holding the speedometer on my Nuvi 650.
Go to Top of Page

AstroMo

3 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  02:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When playbacking a tracklog, is the track overlaid on the map in the 2d/3d mode?

Thanks,
Anat

Edited by - AstroMo on 15 oct. 2007 02:43:11
Go to Top of Page

plmnwater

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  03:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone else who updated to 3.4 lose the 3.1 to 3.3 correction of:

"Fixed bug where road name was sometimes used instead of Highway number"

Mine used the Highway/County Rd. number after I did the 3.3 update, and now seems to have forgotten that after going to 3.4. Just curious if it's just me.
Go to Top of Page

shorelinedeals

13 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  05:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for the record, I successfully updated to 3.40 tonight no problem and the track log is on there.

I feel stupid asking this but is there a thread somewhere that explains track logs and what you can do with them? This is all new to me and I'd love to take advantage of them but am clueless. What's been written here I guess sort of explains it a little. Like what did Jibee do to make the map he did above?
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  07:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
OK, I am really glad to hear this worked out for you!

I will be going to my dealer later this morning (it's only 7AM here now ) to swap my 200W for a straight 200.

As far as Track Logs go: I will try and find some "required reading" for you and post the links / content here by tonight on how to work with MapSource / Google Earth & so on. I sure other members will probably comment as well ...

Be warned - you could just find yourself with a whole new hobby - making maps and keeping "track" of all your travels ...

Regards - Rob

Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  10:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I've downloaded the current 3.40 version from Garmin's web site (yesterday) and installed that in my 250. The track log feature shows up in there, together with some new banners, related to this feature.

Interesting to see what this will end up with. Even if I have other logging units already, this seems to aim at some added functionality.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  17:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, exchanged my 200W for a 200, did the V3.40 update - got the menu. Did a quick road test. This "free feature" works VERY well ...

On a 3.5Km (in city) journey it recorded 628 points over 10 minutes, average speed 20 Km/Hr.

Nice!

Made a couple backup copies of this V3.4 update - they could "disable" Track Logs in future releases

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 15 oct. 2007 17:04:26
Go to Top of Page

salsaguy

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2007 :  21:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how do we get Garmin to add this tracks feature to the 6xx series?

Salsaguy - Los Angeles area
nuvi 680 / nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

msawdust

1 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2007 :  22:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Upgraded my Nuvi 200 and now have the tracking function. The first time I tried it when I tried to play it back it locked up. I created another log and then the previous log and the new one worked. I also download new firmware for the chipset which I though may have messed things up. I do not remember the exact wording but I used WebUpdater and looked up additonal updates which listed an update for the chipset. I hope this was the right thing to do. Also does anyone know how to delete the logs that are created?
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2007 :  08:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only way I can see to delete the logs is to hook the unit up to your PC (becomes a USB memory stick on Drive E: or whatever). Use Windows Explorer, look for the \Garmin\Logs folder and delete the Track Log folders (they are named the same as what you see on the Playback screen, YYYYMMDD_Time ...

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2007 :  08:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey!

That's the perfect excuse for asking a copy of the MapSource DVD!

"Dear Garmin Customer Service, I need a copy of the MapSource DVD to be able to download the tracklog from my Nuvi 2xx, pretty please..."
Go to Top of Page

plmnwater

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2007 :  15:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us all know how that works out for you!
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 19 oct. 2007 :  15:56:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erm, I have no 2xx, and I already have MapSource, as I have a Deluxe 310...
Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2007 :  15:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that Google Earth can read your GPS, IF you pays the $20 for 1 year of the upgraded version..

So, I tried to figure out that nutrak converter and after a while, I realized I should use a
source file name! :) It generated a file that could be read by the 'free' google earth and WOW!

Neat, there is my bike trip all laid out on a GE map! I noticed a little animation timer
on the top of the GE screen, but could not figure out how to make the bike trip 'play' the track log.
But just seeing it was very informative.
I could see a little strange circle gyration in places where I paused on the trip.
I could also see places where the path cut across yards (and even back yards) when
nuvi must have lost the signal a bit. Since I had it inside my coat pocket,
I kinda expected to see some wandering.
Over all, I'm very happy to see the track log built in. I'm just wondering about track long maintenance.
What happens if the memory space fills up? Will they self-limit? Or do I need to delete the old ones??

Can I go into the nuvi folders and delete the other-then English help files, voice files etc,
to make more room??

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2007 :  15:49:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich

Glad it's working for you. Cool feature for "cheapo" GPS!

I am not sure about "a self impossed limit on the size of Track Logs" but it just stores the Logs in the normal "Windows" file system (see my post above on how to delete the things) and they take very little space. So you should be able to tour across the US and keep the logs

Just be sure to note the names of each one you start / stop / (just date time stamps) on a note pad or something, it will help with sorting them out days (and many miles!) later

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 01 nov. 2007 15:51:54
Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2007 :  16:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I also read the GPS Exchange File with a (free) program called EasyGPS and it displayed the path,
but there was no map in the background. It was sort of out-of-context. :)

Since this is all brand new to me, I'll have to fool around with the nutrak parameters
and see what they do to the raw nuvi data. Perhaps I can get the animation to play on GE..

I noticed this morning that GE is displaying newer SAT pictures on the Boston area!
After looking at the new houses being built in the area, I'm going to guess these
pictures were taken this spring.

I was just thinking, if I loan my Nuvi to anyone, I can turn on the recorder and later
find out exactly where they went on their trip..

Right now, my nuvi is showing only 31.6MB of free space.. So, I'm really thinking about deleting
some of those other languages.. I just worry about bricking my neat little machine!

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

Jibee

Switzerland
100 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2007 :  21:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can delete unused languages without problem, I have done this on my 250 several months ago.

The track log takes about 100-120 Ko for an hour (1 measure per second).

You can keep each track log on the folder the nuvi automatically creats: the folder name contains date and time.
Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2007 :  22:50:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been dragging those log folders over to the SD card and dropping them
since I put the nutrak file converter there too.

This afternoon, we took a 14 mile bike trip and your numbers match the sizes we got
for each of the two approx 1 hour logs recorded.

I'll see about deleting some of those extra language files next time I hook up the USB.

Operationally, I noticed today (while recording), there is a new bar across the top
of the map screen with a STOP button and a elapsed Record time display.

Makes it easier to quickly stop recording without doing the secret menu thing.
And seeing that timer running gives me a good idea how big the file will be.

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2007 :  23:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jibee

You can delete unused languages without problem, I have done this on my 250 several months ago.

I did the same, keeping only english and italian, but then I had to reinstall french in a hurry, as I has to demo the Nuvi to a coworker, as she ie a) french; b) quite good looking...
Go to Top of Page

no clue

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2007 :  04:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or I notice new 3.4 become faster on "missed-turn" recalculation?
Position accuracy also improved where it is no longer 30 yard behind the actual position at speed more than 40mph?
But POI name search become painfully slow?

Or is it just my Nuvi 260 w/ Bravo chip?

Edited by - no clue on 05 nov. 2007 04:32:13
Go to Top of Page

indigon

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2007 :  17:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My nuvi 200 with the 3.4 upgrade and bravo chip update definately has improved.
One caveat of the track log is the unit defaults to the last log playback when powered on/off. A nice feature when flying etc. just run a short log for home or your local airport and it locks on instantly on arrival.

nüvi black 260 v3.60/2.30b * nüvi 200 v3.60/2.30b * nüvi 660 v4.20/3.00
Garmin GPS 72 * GPSMAP 76S * Mag. Roadmate 800 * Honolulu, HI .. USA
Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2007 :  17:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Using the track log showed me some interesting things about my nuvi 200.
I made a trip north on a bike trail, turned off the log for a while then back on for the return trip.
I was able to compare the northwards ride with the the southern exposer ride back.
I joined the two tracks with EasyGPS and loaded the file into Google Earth.

The trip north showed more errors. In some places, the track was 70 yards East of the trail.
(This might have been due to southern sats being blocked by my body. Nuvi was in front jacket pocket).

On the way south, it was mostly dead on the trail +/- 10 feet.
Where there was open spaces (no trees over the trail), the tracks were dead on.
Zooming in on narrow (25') streets showed paths accurate to within +/- 5 feet,
when there wasn't any blockage.

In places where we paused, there were little circles in the track, like I was running
around in 10 or 15 foot spirals. Even in clear areas. It seems the nuvi 200 does not like to sit still.

Once I get a bike mount installed and get some better signal levels, my nuvi is going to be
one fantastic bike computer. :)

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 05 nov. 2007 :  18:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, newbie here . . .

In usage mode > automobile, the nüvi 200 tracklog "drops a breadcrumb" every one second. . . . . . even when standing still.
Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2007 :  21:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's raining today, so I couldn't get out for a bike ride..

However, I did a simulated trip using my nuvi.

1. Turn off the GPS receiver.
2. Turn on tracking.
3. Pick destination.
4. GO for a test drive.
5. Press STOP when destination is reached.
6. convert the GPS.BIN file and load it into Google Earth..

The map shows you the whole trip at a glance, allowing you to compare your nuvi route with maps made on-line.

My Nuvi took a longer, but faster path.. Just the way it's set right now.

Nice to have a map you can zoom in on and print pages, in case of a GPS loss.
A roundabout way to plan a trip. ;)

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2007 :  22:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice. I did not know one could do this! (Simulating a trip)

Must try this out 2mrow, thanks for the info.

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 06 nov. 2007 22:39:48
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2007 :  22:13:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan

Since this is also added to 7xx, can you change thread header and add it to the FAQ page?

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2007 :  22:39:25  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, but it's not clear to me exactly which models have this feature. Can you list them?

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2007 :  22:47:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did you get the same trick to work on the 7xx or are you referring to the standard track recording, in which case it's not applicable.
UPDATE - Tried it on my nüvi 7xx test unit with FW2.20 and it is indeed there so I renamed the thread to "[TOPIC] HiddenTrack log feature on 2xx/7xx" ;-)

Since the default "track" feature of the 7xx seems to record the "snapped to road" track, having the GPX of the raw log can be useful, if you're checking the accuracy of the GPS Module that is ;-)

@Xring - nice find for the simulation recording.
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  07:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to be only for the 2xx and 7xx for the moment.

It may be that 3xx and 6xx are built different from 2xx and 7xx and therefore cannot get this type of logging.

It some strange that it's logged to the .bin format and not directly in .gpx

The one thing I do like with this is that it creates a new folder every time you start the logging, and that this folder gets a date in its name.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  12:33:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And can you confirm that this records a raw track vs a "snapped to road" track with the 7xx built-in recorder ? Haven't had a chance to try yet.

Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  13:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The nüvi 200 logged track is definitely raw (not snapped to road).
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  13:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may also be that there has been no update to the 3xx/6xx families for a while. Or it could be that I'm right in assuming that production cost for the 2xx/7xx design is lower, so that's the one they are pushing for the future.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

camfasty

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  14:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Since the default "track" feature of the 7xx seems to record the "snapped to road" track, having the GPX of the raw log can be useful, if you're checking the accuracy of the GPS Module that is ;-)

I want to make sure I understand difference between raw and "snapped to road". When I downloaded standard track log from 760 after taking bicycle trip on some bike pads not a road my mapsource showed exactly my off road track trip.

quote:
The one thing I do like with this is that it creates a new folder every time you start the logging, and that this folder gets a date in its name.

That is big difference from standard track log, as I understand default track log records only 1000 points.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  14:24:09  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well maybe the "snap to road" stops working once you're too far from a road or under certain conditions, but based on my limited testing, I was surprised to see the track show exactly the road I had travelled, which cannot be the case for a raw track.

Actually we probably need a topic to deal with how the standard tracking feature works and what can be done with the logs, are you game to start that ? ;-)

Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  14:25:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gerald_D

The nüvi 200 logged track is definitely raw (not snapped to road).

My tests confirm what Gerald is saying - so what we actually have here is a good entry level street navigator (who cares if it does not play mp3's, I have an iPod for that ) that is capable of acting as a data logger as well. I will be taking a 10+ hour road trip soon, I want to start the log when I leave and see if it "overflows" (the usual 10,000 point limitation?) after 4 days and 2,000Km of driving I have a feeling it's not going to. Will probably keep going till the internal memory runs out and that could take a long time, I have about 200Mbyte free (I use SD cards for my maps).

Will advise here.

Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  14:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have been tracking 3km off roads - which says more about the quality of the map than of the machine :)
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  14:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by camfasty
That is big difference from standard track log, as I understand default track log records only 1000 points.

It is 10000 not 1000 points.

Go to Top of Page

camfasty

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  17:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mistake, anybody had luck to convert .bin to .gpx from 760 using nutrak, I don't.
Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  17:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lots of luck. Copy the gps.bin and nutrak.exe into the same folder, say C:\convert
Then go to the Start > Run and type in the command C:\convert\nutrak gps.bin
Go to Top of Page

camfasty

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  18:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, it works your way, I was trying to use those extra commands [-c] and so on.. Now if only we could get compiler to convert those .gpx log files to .gpx routes...

Edited by - camfasty on 12 nov. 2007 18:10:05
Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  19:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at the last sentence of the nutrak.txt file:

"Program nutrak will convert tracks created by Garmnin nuvi 2xx into gpx format. This is command line utility, you need to open Comand Line Window and execute this command:

nutrak [-c] [-m] [-t seconds] gps.bin

Opions:
-c - write course into gpx file
-m - write miliseconds into gpx file
-t - add time offset in seconds to date

Program will write in current directory gpx file with name depending on track creation date. Output file is compatible with Mapsource and gpsbabel. Options -c and -m are incompatible with Mapsource."
Go to Top of Page

camfasty

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 12 nov. 2007 :  21:01:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally figured it out, it works fine but without brackets([]) -c -m -t.

Edited by - camfasty on 12 nov. 2007 21:02:46
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2007 :  10:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Erm, camfasty, the brackets, in computer documentation, are the standard to show an optional parameter...
Go to Top of Page

rywen

2 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  09:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, looks like they removed the feature in version 3.5 - at least for the 2xx series. I was looking for a replacement for my garmin I5 but i've been disappointed for some time that garmin didnt make a street navigation gps with a tracklog feature (when even the most basic outdoor gps units have it). I found this thread earlier in the week saying that the 2xx series now offered track logs - so i ordered a nuvi 260. Well i got it today and updated the firmware - 3.5 being the newest version - and the tracklog feature isn't there. I found the 3.4 firmware online and downgraded the unit and it made the tracklog feature available. I guess garmin is using this feature to upsell towards the higher end 7xx series which are now advertised on garmin's site as having a track log feature.

I understand that adding features takes programming time which costs money - so that sortof justifies adding the feature to high end models and leaving it out of lower end models. But... to program the feature, then remove it in the next firmware version for the sake of upselling doesn't show much respect for the customer. I didn't want (or need) to buy a high end model b/c i dont need mp3 / bluetooth, i have a separate xm radio, and the traffic receiver doesn't help in many of the areas i travel.

oh well, i have the feature for now...but I hope they bring it back in future firmware versions (should i need to update for a 'real' problem)
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  20:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, well, every 2xx user should start badgering Garmin CS if the Tracklog disappeared in 3.5...
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  20:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can some other confirm this?
It would be hard to get a 2xx user to upgrade when he loose an important function like tracklog.

Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  21:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to keep mine at 3.4 for now!
Unless there is some really cool function in 3.5 that I would value more.. :)

Are there any 3.5 release notes on the Garmin website?

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  21:40:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There will be if they ever put it back on the website. We lost the change list when they took the download away.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2007 :  22:49:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strange that Garmin do not post manual download for 2xx, when they do it for 7xx.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  00:10:00  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Changes from version 3.40 to version 3.50:
Improved overall map drawing speed to display up to twice as often.
Fixed an issue where the last entry in a list of Custom POIs could be blank.
Fixed an issue where using an SD card with maps overlapping the maps pre-loaded could cause the unit to shut down.
Fixed an issue where searching for an intersection across all cities in a country could result in no matches being found.

And tracklog removed.

popej
Go to Top of Page

chch

Slovakia
3 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  01:27:55  Show Profile  Visit chch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jotne

Strange that Garmin do not post manual download for 2xx, when they do it for 7xx.

Did some packet sniffing, the file for my 200 (Central Europe) is http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi2xx_regionfileonly__350.gcd as offered by garmin.com server upon WebUpdater request (HTTP communication).
Go to Top of Page

rywen

2 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  04:52:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if it helps anyone, I was able to roll back to a previous version of the firmware using the 3.4 installer I found here :

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/

I don't remember where i found the original post that had that link - I'd like to give credit to the original poster / person hosting the firmware.
Go to Top of Page

Xring

USA
225 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2007 :  06:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Improved overall map drawing speed to display up to twice as often."??

I already have my detail set one notch above normal and my 200 is still drawing really fast.
Does this mean that I will be able to add more detail (w/3.5) and still get the same speed?

That don't sound too bad. If I get tried of track-logging, I just might update..
(I'll have to learn how to do it without using the WebUpdater to get it back)..

Cheers,
Rich
Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2007 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smiley1081

Wow, well, every 2xx user should start badgering Garmin CS if the Tracklog disappeared in 3.5...

I have written asking when it will be enabled on the 310...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2007 :  09:56:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
About the tracklog feature disappearing, let's keep in mind it was a hidden feature, it's not like they added it to v3.40 as a standard feature and took it out in v3.50 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2007 :  06:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems that you discovered it by error, as it should not have been there, and that they are trying to put the cat back in the bag...

From Garmin CS:
quote:
Unfortunatley this wasn't made for the general user. This was only made for our engineers and distributors to do certain tests with the units if there were certain problems. This won't be included for the nuvi 3 series.

Hiss and scratch, hiss and scratch!
Go to Top of Page

Edward Perera

Sri Lanka
7 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2007 :  12:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I have already ordered a 200 Nuvi and would like to get down a data logger as well. I would appreciate if you help me out in this matter, as I'm new to this subject.

Regards,
Edward Perera,
Sri Lanka.

quote:

I wouldn't try using a 2xx fw on 2xxW ! You can get a datalogger for $50 ;-)

@jotne - this is a hidden feature at this point, thus no reason to mention it in the change log.

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2007 :  12:15:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you get your Nuvi, download from http://gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/ the 3.40 firmware, use it to upgrade/downgrade your 200 (depending on the version it has), then DO NOT upgrade it anymore, as the tracklog feature appeared only in the 3.40 version, probably by compilation accident.
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2007 :  22:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but proving this absurd way that it's possible to have tracklog on these Nuvi's. I suppose the guy got fired

Nuvi 300 GTM11- Nuvi 660T
Go to Top of Page

Edward Perera

Sri Lanka
7 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  03:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once upgraded to v 3.4, will the following be possible:
1.Save the Tracklog.
2.Back Track using same.
3.Edit and reloading saved tracks back to the Nuvi 200.

I need the above features, as Maps are not available here.

Thanks & Regards,

Edward Perera.
Sri Lanka.

quote:
Originally posted by smiley1081

When you get your Nuvi, download from http://gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/ the 3.40 firmware, use it to upgrade/downgrade your 200 (depending on the version it has), then DO NOT upgrade it anymore, as the tracklog feature appeared only in the 3.40 version, probably by compilation accident.

Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  09:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edward

As far as I am concerned:

Only (1) will work on an upgraded Nuvi 200 - "Save the Tracklog".

If you want (2) & (3): Not sure if this will work on ANY Nuvi (maybe backtrack on the new 700's?)

Suggest looking at a FULL GPSr like the 60CSX or even better, the "Rolls Royce" - GPSMap 276C. Exspensive options though.

The Nuvi 200 with V3.40 software makes an excellent low cost data logger (in other words collect Track Logs, download to PC for further analysis in MapSource, Google Earth or a bigger GIS package).

Regards - Rob

Go to Top of Page

Edward Perera

Sri Lanka
7 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  11:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
Thanks very much for your reply.The whole idea is to keep on collecting as much tracks as possible in order to develop a map at least showing my favorite POIs.

Best Regards
Edward

quote:
Originally posted by Edward Perera

quote:
Originally posted by WRX1KNP

Edward

As far as I am concerned:

Only (1) will work on an upgraded Nuvi 200 - "Save the Tracklog".

If you want (2) & (3): Not sure if this will work on ANY Nuvi (maybe backtrack on the new 700's?)

Suggest looking at a FULL GPSr like the 60CSX or even better, the "Rolls Royce" - GPSMap 276C. Exspensive options though.

The Nuvi 200 with V3.40 software makes an excellent low cost data logger (in other words collect Track Logs, download to PC for further analysis in MapSource, Google Earth or a bigger GIS package).

Regards - Rob

Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  12:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Edward

If it's just RAW Track Logs you are after (and saving POI on your travels) then the 200 would do it for you - you would need to use MapSource on your PC to "see" the Track Logs overlaid over the supplied Garmin maps and also to "manage" your collection of POI.

The Nuvi's are intended as street navigators. They do that job very well. It was just a bonus for me to find out that I can record Track Logs as well (I work in Geo Information Systems, make some GPS maps, so on). Having said that I would much preferred to have bought a GPSMap 276C because it's far better at "managing" Track Logs and POI than any Nuvi will ever be. But (in South Africa) we are looking at paying three times the price of the entry level Nuvi 200 for a unit with very little memory (128Mb if memory serves, on the Nuvi's I can use real cheap 1Gig SD cards!) and I could not afford or justify it.

But take your time, nothing worse than buying the wrong unit! I have a 276C available to me for when I really need it (business associates own GPS) but so far the Nuvi (again, at less than a third of the price) is doing what I need it to.

Also: look at environment: If you are going to operating "off road" - walking trails, 4x4 routes, camping, climbing - the Nuvi is NOT a rugged, water / dust proof unit. Again, the 276C comes out tops (with the 60CSX or similar being a nice rugged "do it all" handheld unit in between).

Good luck!

- Rob

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 01 déc. 2007 12:06:05
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2007 :  13:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you have lots of track in Mapsource, you can create your own map for your Nüvi using this excellent program:
http://www.geopainting.com/en/

Go to Top of Page

Edward Perera

Sri Lanka
7 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  05:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob,
I am completely new to Map making.The only thing I have done is creating some tracklogs using a borrowed Map 60C.I have saved those in the Mapsource software which came with the Map 60C.
Is there any possibilty to transfer those to the Nuvi 200?
Can I use any software to make a simple map of my town and transfer it to the Nuvi 200? As I like to learn things by experimenting I would really appreciate your valuable advice.

Regards.
Edward

quote:

Edward

If it's just RAW Track Logs you are after (and saving POI on your travels) then the 200 would do it for you - you would need to use MapSource on your PC to "see" the Track Logs overlaid over the supplied Garmin maps and also to "manage" your collection of POI.

The Nuvi's are intended as street navigators. They do that job very well. It was just a bonus for me to find out that I can record Track Logs as well (I work in Geo Information Systems, make some GPS maps, so on). Having said that I would much preferred to have bought a GPSMap 276C because it's far better at "managing" Track Logs and POI than any Nuvi will ever be. But (in South Africa) we are looking at paying three times the price of the entry level Nuvi 200 for a unit with very little memory (128Mb if memory serves, on the Nuvi's I can use real cheap 1Gig SD cards!) and I could not afford or justify it.

But take your time, nothing worse than buying the wrong unit! I have a 276C available to me for when I really need it (business associates own GPS) but so far the Nuvi (again, at less than a third of the price) is doing what I need it to.

Also: look at environment: If you are going to operating "off road" - walking trails, 4x4 routes, camping, climbing - the Nuvi is NOT a rugged, water / dust proof unit. Again, the 276C comes out tops (with the 60CSX or similar being a nice rugged "do it all" handheld unit in between).

Good luck!

- Rob

Go to Top of Page

Edward Perera

Sri Lanka
7 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  06:17:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the created maps compatible with Nuvi 200?

Regards.
Edward.

quote:

When you have lots of track in Mapsource, you can create your own map for your Nüvi using this excellent program:
http://www.geopainting.com/en/

Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  07:59:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Edward

Yip, the maps will be compatible with the Nuvi 200 (in fact, any Garmin GPSr will work).

It's a bit of a learning curve (not sure of your level of IT skills but having some background in programming, being comfortable in using a text editor, Windows "Command Prompt", "Batch Files" etc. helps!) but there are some helpful websites / groups.

To start with join this Yahoo Group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/

Then, take a look at Stan's website (this is the compiler we use and there is a FREE version available): http://www.cgpsmapper.com/

There is a great FREE front end program we use with the compiler called GPS Map Edit. See here: http://www.geopainting.com/en/

Also free (similar to GPS Map Edit): http://www.mapman.org.uk/ and Global Mapper (this one is not free): http://www.globalmapper.com/ Link to a tutorial on how to use cGPSMapper & Global Mapper here: http://www.cgpsmapper.com/ about halfway down the page.

Personally I find Global Mapper "overkill". I use the cGPSMapper compiler with GPS Map Edit and a good (free) text editor like Notepad+ (http://www.mypeecee.org/rogsoft/notepad.html)

Sorry - lot's of info I know. But if you feel like the challenge it's both fun and rewarding.

For an example of what can be done this way take a look at www.tracks4africa.com - all their EXCELLENT maps (sold commercially) are made up from community contributed Track Logs & Waypoints, some "official" GIS data (contours, rivers) and using the cGPSMapper compiler and other tools I have pointed you to.

Obviously we use additional GIS tools (ESRI ArcGIS in my case) as well but for what you want to do this is not required.

Good luck!

Rob

@ The Forum Mods: If all this is in the wrong place / already exists - sorry, please "relocate"!

Edited by - WRX1KNP on 03 déc. 2007 08:05:26
Go to Top of Page

Edward Perera

Sri Lanka
7 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2007 :  12:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Rob,
Thank you very much for the valuable info.It seems things are going to be very interesting. I think I will be able to manage.
Still I have not received my Nuvi 200. I will keep you posted of my achievements.

Thanks & Regards.
Edward.
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Go to Top of Page

fpoost

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  07:27:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I just upgraded my Nuvi 200 to V3.40, and saving the track works just fine.

I have managed to use Nutrak to create .gpx files for viewing in Google Earth and Mapsource.

When viewing in Google Earth, there is a timeline animation that runs from the log start to finish, but it does not show any progress on the track. Is there any way to alter this file so that the progress can be seen?

Also, on my Nuvi 200's hidden menu when I select to play tracks the unit just shuts down. Any fix for this?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

plmnwater

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  15:33:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With mine, I had to record a couple logs before I could go into the playback menu without it locking up. It's worked fine ever since.
Go to Top of Page

merlin2375

79 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2007 :  20:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if this feature will end up in the 3xx

* Nuvi 370 * Garmin Microphone * Garmin GA25MCX External Antenna * Speck Products Skin * Invisible Shield Screen Protector * Modified VPM voice files for higher volume

Older b&w etrex vista for outdoors activities!
Go to Top of Page

fpoost

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2007 :  09:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not likely, as it is disabled in the latest firmware upgrade for the Nuvi 200 V3.50.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2007 :  11:02:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the other hand they left in the new v2.30 for the 7xx ;-)

@popej - are we limited to a .gpx file or do you think it would be possible to create a full NMEA log from the original binary ? I'd be curious to see the signal levels in the GSA messages.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2007 :  11:59:09  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've already put all available gps data into gpx, there is data description on the beginning of the thread. Nuvi 200 saves also some navigation information. I don't analyse this info, this seems to be street names and maybe info about voice prompts.

popej
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2007 :  12:00:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's right thanks, so no go for signal levels.

Go to Top of Page

fpoost

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  07:04:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any way to load standard image files (.jpg, .gif etc.) as "background" map on your gps?
I realise this is off topic, please point me in the right direction.
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  07:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi fpoost

Quoting myself, probably "taboo" so sorry Forum Mods but this is easier than retyping everything.

See my reply to Edward (quoted). No other way to do it, this is both hard work & challenge but very rewarding.

Regards

Rob

quote:

Hi Edward

Yip, the maps will be compatible with the Nuvi 200 (in fact, any Garmin GPSr will work).

It's a bit of a learning curve (not sure of your level of IT skills but having some background in programming, being comfortable in using a text editor, Windows "Command Prompt", "Batch Files" etc. helps!) but there are some helpful websites / groups.

To start with join this Yahoo Group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/map_authors/

Then, take a look at Stan's website (this is the compiler we use and there is a FREE version available): http://www.cgpsmapper.com/

There is a great FREE front end program we use with the compiler called GPS Map Edit. See here: http://www.geopainting.com/en/

Also free (similar to GPS Map Edit): http://www.mapman.org.uk/ and Global Mapper (this one is not free): http://www.globalmapper.com/ Link to a tutorial on how to use cGPSMapper & Global Mapper here: http://www.cgpsmapper.com/ about halfway down the page.

Personally I find Global Mapper "overkill". I use the cGPSMapper compiler with GPS Map Edit and a good (free) text editor like Notepad+ (http://www.mypeecee.org/rogsoft/notepad.html)

Sorry - lot's of info I know. But if you feel like the challenge it's both fun and rewarding.

For an example of what can be done this way take a look at www.tracks4africa.com - all their EXCELLENT maps (sold commercially) are made up from community contributed Track Logs & Waypoints, some "official" GIS data (contours, rivers) and using the cGPSMapper compiler and other tools I have pointed you to.

Obviously we use additional GIS tools (ESRI ArcGIS in my case) as well but for what you want to do this is not required.

Good luck!

Rob

@ The Forum Mods: If all this is in the wrong place / already exists - sorry, please "relocate"!

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  16:03:57  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
rob,

Thanks for the info. Quoting yourself is not taboo. The goal is to reduce server load, so quoting material that is right above you would be unnecessary. Re-typing your original post would put no more load on the server than a quote, so the quote is a good way to save the server (and you) from extra work [grin].

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 14 déc. 2007 :  16:38:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dan. Not sure if all this info is in the "right place" but if it helps folk get more out of their GPSr's (and MapSource) then it's worthwhile.

- Rob

Go to Top of Page

sislv

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 déc. 2007 :  02:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked my 750 and find it has the record/playback feature also. I didn't have a recorded Logfile to try the playback yet. Nice to know it has the feature. I also am running the v2.30 update.

Tom

Garmin nüvi 750

Edited by - sislv on 16 déc. 2007 02:16:21
Go to Top of Page

bob_0815

2 Posts

Posted - 28 déc. 2007 :  15:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i found a program to upload tracks back on the nuvi. you can download mapwel 2007. the demo version is good enough.

(http://www.mapwel.biz/down.htm)

with this program you can load the *.gpx file(s)
after you set them tranparent you can easyly upload them to the nuvi. it is also possible to create a track in mapsource - upload it to the garmin and open with mapwel the *.gpx in the gpx folder on the device - make it transparent and upload it to the device again. i use this option to create hiking trails.

!!!be careful!!! - if you already have a map named gmapsupp.img you have to rename it. this program will write a new gmapsupp.img
i changed my original gmapsupp.img to gmapprom1.img. (gmapprom1.img will still be shown on the devive)

i've got a nuvi 200 and this works fine for me

ps.: the program can merge maps easily. cgpsmapper can't handle files over 1gb - mapwel can
may be you figue out more advantages and post it

Edited by - bob_0815 on 29 déc. 2007 13:35:38
Go to Top of Page

chiefpenguin

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  06:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The hiddentrack log feature may also work in the v3.6 version of the software. I found the following on my new Nuvi 200. I am running v3.6. I can't seem to find the log file though . . . so perhaps others in the forum may be able to expand on the following below.

This is similar to the instructions found here http://www.marcforrest.com/2007/11/15/garmin-nuvi-200-track-hack/ but updated.

1. Select a destination
2. When the view map screen . . . press the arrival time in the bottom left corner.

3. This will then bring you to the speedometer screen. Press and hold the screen for 8-10 seconds over the speedometer area (see red)

4. You will now see the follow screen (diagnostics)

Keep pressing the "Next" Button as you scroll through the following screens until to get to the Message Banners Screen.

5. Hit the down arrow . . . you will now see a screen (or a pop up dialog box) indicating a new log is now recording (or at least the possibility the functionality still exists as these may be message banners). Hit OK.

6. Hitting the down arrow again shows this screen.

7. Hitting the down arrow again shows this screen.

8. Hitting the down arrow again shows this screen.

9. Hitting the down arrow again shows this screen.

This repetition seems to scroll through - messages or functionality.

Any ideas from the forum???

PS: I particularly like the XM banners :-)
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  11:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What you see is a list of all banners.

Anders told that it was removed and is only available for Garmin tech people.

But after several communications with Garmin, it seem that they may add it again.
I do hope they do.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  12:38:06  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think this feature still exist in code, it's only blocked like TTS for nuvi 2xx other then 260.

popej
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  13:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which is exactly what I said: It's still there, but only accessible to Garmin's tech people.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 févr. 2008 :  12:54:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually there is a way to keep that feature, at least on the nüvi 7x0. I found it by accident when I upgraded from v2.30 to v2.60 yesterday. I had logging activated on v2.30 and it stayed active after the update, the only difference is that there is no way to control it anymore in the hiddent menu. The transparent "stop" button is still there on the map screen with the timer but I haven't tried pressing on it as it would disappear.

One slight problem though, the log file cannot be decoded by nutrak.exe anymore, it reports a "wrong header format" error. popej, I have sent you a zipped log, maybe you can find a way to adapt your program to decode the new gps.bin ?

Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2008 :  16:45:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using gpspassions trick to make track log run is a good work around.
But if you hit the "Stop", you can not start it again. You have to go trough the downgrade, start, upgrade, to start it again. Whenever you downgade, you loose all your settings.
So do not "Stop" the log.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2008 :  16:56:08  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunatlly there are no records in files recorded that way. All data inside gps.bin seems to be random bytes without meaning.

popej
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2008 :  18:10:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for looking into my file, that's odd they would write garbage, maybe my file got corrupted for some reason, jotne have you had any luck decoding your own logs with nuvitrak ?

Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2008 :  19:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did get "wrong header format", so it seems to be some wrong.
Do I loose Sirf instand Fix II if I downgrade to 2.30?

@popej
Since you do not allow email from board I post it here:
You web page http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html is nearly impossible to use.
It reloads all the time with some commercial popping in from right side.
Scrolling down on page is impossible since refresh takes you to top of page.

Edited by - jotne on 02 févr. 2008 19:50:36
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2008 :  20:14:49  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry jotne. I'm using adds filter with my browser (Proxomitron) which filters all this spam. Try to start from main page (http://www.anpo.republika.pl) and then follow link "Tutaj znajdziesz pliki". To send me a e-mail click on my name in main page.

popej
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2008 :  00:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for looking into my file, that's odd they would write garbage, maybe my file got corrupted for some reason, jotne have you had any luck decoding your own logs with nuvitrak ?

They aren't writing garbage. But as I've said several times now, it's available to Garmin's technicians only, which actually was their intention from the beginning. They have the key to decrypt the file.
InstantFix is implemented from version 2.33.

Anders

Edited by - apersson850 on 03 févr. 2008 00:38:05
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2008 :  09:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do suggest that all of you send message to techsupp@garmin.com and do complain about this. I have sent mail, and they say that they will look at it.

Do v2.33 have hidden tracklog, that do work?

Why did not Garmin write that they have added SIFvII for 2.60???
It's a big updage for the GPS.

Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2008 :  13:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's not a technical things, it's a marketing thing. They made a tool for the engineers, but it turned out users could use that to get functionality they didn't intend for some models.

I don't remember if 2.33 has the original hidden logging or not. It doesn't matter to me, as the Zumo has an almost eternal log.

That they didn't mention it in the update summary is probably because they were still evaluating when it was new (2.33), and now it's not new.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2008 :  20:51:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would be the advantage of having the the hidden track feature on 7X0 if you get built-in track recording?

If I wanted to test the actual GPSr accuracy, I would set the nuvi to Pedestrian/Off Road mode (although the recorded points would probably by processed by using a time+traveled distance algorithm to minimize the number of points, something that 60Cx gives me full control over...)

z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2008 :  20:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Built in track do only store 10000 points. The hidden one do write to the internal memory as long as there is space. Log for one year should be no problem...

[ED - Also, built-in feature records data after it has been "snapped to road", the hidden features records raw GPS data]

Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  01:31:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But the 760 does not archive logs, so there will be a point where the log will overwrite from the beginning I'd guess...one of the things I like about the ZUMO, is that you can go for about a year and not worry about overwriting logs...
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  10:09:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exactly, and that would make sense to have on the 760 as well. If you want to use the log for geotagging photos, taken during a three week holiday, for example, then the active log isn't long enough (or so I've seen, during my travel).

Asking Garmin to make this kind of log they've now stowed away readily available is a waste of time, their's and your's. Much better to ask them to upgrade the 760 to include the archiving found in the Zumo and the Colorado units. It does all you need, it does it automatically and it's much more probable that it ever will happen.

Hence, if the forum resources should be used for anything productive, it would be better to engourage people to stop asking Garmin for making the hidden track log public, but instead ask for the automatic archiving to be implemented, where there already is track logging.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  11:21:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders, have you asked Garmin why they can not have log on Nüvi when they can have it on Zumo?

I do not see any good reason why not..

Go to Top of Page

WRX1KNP

South Africa
19 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  12:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Built in track do only store 10000 points. The hidden one do write to the internal memory as long as there is space. Log for one year should be no problem...

That's what makes the NUVI 200 with 3.40 the cheapest combo Street Nav & Data Logger you can get No "lock on road" to screw this up either.

Currently selling for as low as Euro 175 in SA (ZAR 1999)

Only problem: No external antenna but so far my accuracy is good (windscreen mount in Subaru Impreza).

- R

Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  14:42:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I see the advantage... Assuming that the GPSr records one point every second, has anybody calculated or looked up the amount of storage space, in KB, necessary to record 1 hour of tracking info (3600 points)?

z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  15:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me ask a clarifying question on the current status of the hidden track recording feature in nuvi 7X0 units: if I have S/W 2.6 installed on the GPSr and nuvi770_230.exe on my laptop, to activate hidden track recording, do I have to:

1. back up my nuvi 770
2. install nuvi770_230.exe
3. activate the track recording feature (and never turn it off form the map screen) *
4. update again to 2.60 by using either Webupdater or by running the nuvi770_260.exe file?

As a prize, I can use popej's conversion program to check my whereabouts for the past year using more than 10,000 unadultered points...

Is this a fair summary? I'd hate to have to send it back to Garmin for repair...

z.entropic

*"Garmin has added the possibility to record the travel log. This features could be found in the hidden menu which could be accessed by pressing and holding on the speedometer for about 10 sec. Press next to go to the Travel log screen. From this, I could start a new log or replay an existing log."
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  16:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4. You can use Webupdater,

But it seems that 2.60 do encrypt the log,so we can not use it.
You have to stay on version 2.30 to use it.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  20:33:17  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anders, thanks for a hint :-)

I spend an hour looking at this files and I solved the problem. Nutrak 0.06 can convert this data into gpx:
http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html#nutrak

popej
Go to Top of Page

Jibee

Switzerland
100 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2008 :  23:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To z.entropic:

The track log takes about 100-120 Ko for an hour (1 measure per second).
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  00:57:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@popej - excellent, works a charm. I was about to say that you'd think that Garmin had better things to do than wast their time encrypting log files to prevent advanced users from using that feature, but I can now save that comment...wait, oh too late ;-)

The bad news is that I thought the logging days were over so I hit "stop" on the map screen this afternoon...here goes a downgrade followed by an upgrade.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  11:05:23  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The same trick with flashing old firmware works for nuvi 200. But in this case tracklog is not encrypted. Nuvi 200 is the cheapest and 7xx top of the line. You can't have the same service for both, I guess ;-)

popej
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  16:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
popej, I understand that your updated utility still can't touch the bin log written on 7X0s after an update to 2.60, correct? The hidden-track threads for 2X0s and 7X0s are so mixed up one can get lost even with a nuvi 770... ;-)

z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  16:36:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new utility DOES convert the v2.60 7x0 logs, read my message above or the updated message on the first page ;-)

I think that popej was hinting at the fact that the 7x0 being high-end Garmin had money to burn to encrypt the logs whereas they didn't on the low-end 2x0 series.

Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  17:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anders, have you asked Garmin why they can not have log on Nüvi when they can have it on Zumo?
I do not see any good reason why not..

On the Zumo, logging is provided to support the Zumo's capability to convert a saved track to a route to follow at some other time. This was intended for motorcyclists, which often are more interested in the road itself than the destination to go to.
But then they probably thought that this is something the general car traveller wouldn't be much interested in, especially as the nüvi doesn't support converting tracks to routes.

I've hinted about the geotagging of photographs application, where the active log often is too short for a reasonable holiday. I outran that during less than a week in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 06 févr. 2008 :  19:50:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The new utility DOES convert the v2.60 7x0 logs, read my message above or the updated message on the first page ;-)

Thank you! This is why (partially) quoting a post one responds to is (sometimes) helpful!

Added: the SW downgrade-->activation of the hidden track recording-->SW update-->gps.bin conversion to gpx went on my nuvi 770 without a single glitch.

Thanks, everybody, for your help--and patience!

z.entropic

Edited by - z.entropic on 07 févr. 2008 01:26:18
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2008 :  17:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my log folder for Nüvi 760 I do have three file.
gps.bin (track log)
nav.bin
traffic.bin

What is the other two?
Traffic is more than double the size of gps.bin
nav.bin is only a small file.

Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2008 :  19:10:24  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you start logging there are option to save navigation and traffic info. And that you have it. As I remember in nav.bin there were streets names and probably voice commands description. There were no traffic.bin in my nuvi 200, but I can guess that it should contain TMC messages.

popej
Go to Top of Page

lechozo

Venezuela
23 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2008 :  16:27:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the track log tip. Tracking is a important future for me and my Nuvi 200 is doing fine.

Some friends ask me if the process is the same on Nuvi 250 and 260. Can those models run Nuvi 200 firmware 3.40? or ther ewill be some side effects?

Can the widescreen Nuvis log tracks?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2008 :  19:16:31  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMHO firmware 3.40 is exactly the same for nuvi 200, 250 and 260. I expect that all have tracklog .

There is no firmware with hidden tracklog for 2xxW. I heard a rumor that maybe firmware version 2.70 included tracklog, but I'm afraid Garmin never released that version.

popej
Go to Top of Page

DanB

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2008 :  03:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I'm looking to buy a nuvi 750, but don't have a GPS, so my questions might be a little, well, sutpid, but... Am I wrong or :

1-The standard log as a 10 000 points limit that can be fulled within a few days
2-The hidden log records as long as there is space?
3-To use the hidden log, I must use the 2.3 firmware, activate the log, and then I could update to the 2.6 version and be carefull not to stop it?

If I'm right
4.1-Where does the hidden log recorded? 4.2-Is it possible to record it on a SD card? 4.3-What happens when there's no much space? 4.4-Can someone gets a GPS unable to load anything because the hidden log had used all the space available?
5-Is it possible to backup a standard log without a PC and start a new one, making it possible to get almost the same result as with the hidden log with a little more work? I could take a few minutes on each day to backup the log of the day.

Well, all I want is to be able to record a long trip (2-3-4 weeks). I don't care if I had to backup a log each day and/or buy a few SD cards as long as I can do so only with the GPS and a SD card (and no PC)

Thanks!

Apple iMac 2.4 Ghz 24" MacOS X 10.5.6/TomTom GO 920/Home 2.5.2.58/iPod 40 Go

Edited by - DanB on 21 févr. 2008 03:53:30
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2008 :  18:41:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes to your questions 1-3.

4 weeks of continuous recording would occupy only ~33 MB of internal memory space. Each log is in its own subfolder (one for every time you turn on the nuvi).

AFAIK, there is no way to redirect the location of the standard tracklog in the nuvi line (you can do it in GPSMAP 60Cx, for example).

z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2008 :  06:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Popej, I cannot thank you enough for making the nutrak utility available! I hope that more people have thanked you privately, because I see few people doing it here. Many, many people are using the nutrak and producing great tracks from this little GPSr.

May I ask everyone how they convert a batch of maybe 20 different gps.bin files, taken on 20 different days, all with the same name? I take them one by one to the command line and convert them one by one. Is there a more efficient way?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
533 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2008 :  21:33:01  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gerald_D, thank you for nice comments.

If you'd like to convert multiple files, use windows "for" command. Let assume, that your nuvi is connected as drive F:. You can execute following command:
for /D %i in (f:\garmin\logs\*) do nutrak %i\gps.bin
This command will convert all logs from your novi and save in current directory as gpx files. You can make a batch file *.bat, but inside batch all % should be repleaced by double %%, like that:
REM Bat for converting all logs from drive F:
for /D %%i in (f:\garmin\logs\*) do nutrak %%i\gps.bin

popej
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2008 :  23:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice to see that some do know the old DOS :)

I do use some dos to take backup of some forums.
Creates automatically a folder with a date in it's name and
copy the files.

Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2008 :  04:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Popej!

I did try some old DOS and a batch file, but I had forgotten too much in the 25 years since I last used it.
Go to Top of Page

HDJensen

Denmark
4 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2008 :  10:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the Nüvi 200BL (black). It shows Software Version 3.80, GPS sw version 2.60m. Hence no tracklog available, only the diagnostics screens. What happened between 3.5 to 3.8?
Go to Top of Page

Gerald_D

18 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2008 :  19:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Popej, my DOS is failing me - I have said in the Start > Run > Command line:

for /D %i in (f:\garmin\logs\*) do C:\nutrak\nutrak.exe %i\gps.bin

But this does not work. Where must nutrak.exe be located so that your example works? (f: is correct for me)

The error I get is: Windows cannot find 'for'. Make sure you typed correctly . . . . etc.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  14:57:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Logging everything I do with the 760 and it's really convenient, both for picture geocoding of course, but also to check that you won't be getting a ticket after bumping into a police patrol, as can be seen below, max speed was 110kph !

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05