Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2274

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 [TIP] Raw logging on nuvi 2xx/5xx/7xx/1xxx/37xx
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

GpsShopper

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  03:31:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20100719 : Raw logging is also available on the nuvi 37xx series, see details on page 49
UPDATED 20091106 : Member adamschneider has created a facility in GPS Visualizer that can read and output the gps.bin files generated by the Garmin Nuvi devices.

Convert to GPX: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert?convert_output=gpx
Draw a Google Map: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=google
Make a KML file: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input?form=googleearth

The nav.bin files are NOT supported.

UPDATED 20090725 : The hidden data logger can be activated on the nuvi 1xxx series by a long press on the "compass" on the left side of the "trip computer" screen. As usual you need a satellite lock to activate recording.

UPDATED 20090429 : Forum member HalliHallo has kindly compiled a PDF document summarizing the contents of this topic click >> HERE << to view it.

Note that on the 2x5 models the gps.bin file is in \debug
UPDATED 20090406 : It turns out the hidden raw data logger has been there all the time, as an "easter egg" requiring a specific sequence that dcnuvi found by accident and that emmexx managed to recreate :
quote:
Enter "Where am I" (from the tools menu or clicking on the arrow icon on the navigation map)
then click in the following order on:
1. Nearest Junction (header of Nearest Junction/Intersection)
2. Nearest Address (header of Nearest Address)
3. Nearest Address (header of Nearest Address)
4. Nearest Junction (header of Nearest Junction/Intersection)
Bingo, the logging menu is there !

If you make a mistake you must exit the "Where am I" menu and start again. As a side effect the "screen shot" icon appears.

[ed]It's fairly obvious but it puzzled me at first, if you don't have a fix, the menus are greyed out unless logging is already active. I noticed it survives a restart and that you can deactivate the screenshot feature in tools/settings/display.

Tested so far on the nuvi 2x5, 2x5w, 550, 760, 755.

UPDATED 20090316 : Raw Tracklog can be now be enabled again on the nuvi 7x0 with software v4.60, see details on page 28.

REMINDER : as suggested by a forum member, this has already been discussed before, but a reminder can never hurt, flashing your GPS with an unofficial firmware version (be it to enable the raw logger or revive your dead GPSwith the "cure firmware) is something you are doing under your sole responsibility and it means you will not be able to get support from Garmin in case of a problem with your GPS in the future.
TIP - ACTIVATING HIDDEN TRACK LOG FEATURE
nüvi 2xx, nüvi 7xx

Useful links :
Decoding tool programmed by popej : >> DETAILS <<
Compared to nüvi 7xx built-in logger : >> DETAILS <<

UPDATED 20080526 - popej has added a GUI to his nuvitrak tool, details here on page 14.

UPDATED 20080205 - HOW TO KEEP THE HIDDEN LOGGER WHEN UPDATING : quite by accident I realized that the "hidden track log" feature that was quickly removed by Garmin actually survives a software update, provided the logging mode was active prior to the update. z.entropic wrote a how to if you want to use that trick and popej updated his nutrak conversion tool.

UPDATED 20071117 : the v3.50 update for the 2xx series REMOVES the hidden logging mode, see here for the changelog from v3.40 to v3.50.

UPDATED 20071111 : hidden log feature can be activated on the 7xx series too, tested to work with FW2.20. Compared to the built-in track feature it records the raw data apparently, not the "snapped to road" data.

NOTE BY GPSPASSION : track recorded in binary format, use the tool written by popej to convert to .gpx, link is below.

I just updated my Nuvi 250 to 3.40 and I notice that Garmin has added the possibility to record the travel log. This features could be found in the hidden menu which could be accessed by pressing and holding on the speedometer for about 10 sec. Press next to go to the Travel log screen. From this, I could start a new log or replay an existing log. I haven't tried to connect the Nuvi to the PC to see what I could do with the log files. Does anyone has more experience with this new feature?

Log screen - Logging in progress:

Log entries - Play back param:

Play back in progress:

REMINDER 20120707 : Jotne reports that if you leave the hidden track log stored in the internal memory of your Nuvi it can grow in size over time. It is possible that the file can become so big that little free space remains in internal storage and this can cause the unit to slow down considerably. Of course this is a much bigger issue on devices with only 2GB of internal storage space.

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 07 juil. 2012 16:01:44

Ads

bachastain

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  13:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rats, that doesn't work with my 650 on 4.1.

Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  13:16:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow is right. I'll bet jotne has already pressed a hole in the screen trying to reach that page [grin]. I know I did. I have fired up both the 350 and 680, running 5.0 and 4.10, and no luck.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  13:45:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to update my 250 to see what it looks like.
I'll be back.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

shorelinedeals

13 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is the odometer located to press and hold? would this be on the 200?
Go to Top of Page

plmnwater

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just upgraded, this trick works on my 200. The caveat is that after I recorded a log, when I went to play it back it did a "data abort" shut down. It restarted fine though.

It's actually the Speedometer you hold down, on the 200 at least. The first page is a list of error dates/info. The second page is the track page.

To get to the speedometer page, from the mapping page you click on the arrival time/speed part on the bottom left corner. Then if you hold your finger over the speedometer, compass, or just the top left corner for 8-10 seconds it will take you to the hidden screens.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:43:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although pressing the top left corner of the Speedo screen brings up a ton of information on my 350 running 5.00, none of it seems to be 'track' related. Oh well , thinking about getting a 750/60 for Christmas anyway.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  16:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could we have a few screen captures of the track screen?

Thanks...
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:13:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. No such thing on the 760.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:27:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice catch, works on a euro 250 too and I also had the initial "reboot". Must be some type of debugging mode or they're thinking of adding it as an official feature in the future ;-)

The bad news is that it gets recorded (in \Garmin\Logs\) as a binary gps.bin file that can't be opened with a text editor so you couldn't use it to geotag your pictures.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  00:35:53  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
File format of gps.bin is very simple, no problem with conversion to gpx. It goes like this:

Header 48 bytes:
4B string - text "BEGN"
4B int - GPS week number, starting at 22.8.1999
4B int - second of a week
4B float - heading in radians
8B double - longitude in radians
8B double - latitude in radians
12B ??
4B int - 0 or number of records

record 28 bytes:
4B string - text "$$$$"
4B int - timestamp in miliseconds
8B double - latitude in radians
8B double - longitude in radians
4B float - heading in radians

An example of recorded track in Mapsource:

popej

Edited by - popej on 14 oct. 2007 17:50:41
Go to Top of Page

Jibee

Switzerland
100 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  10:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW! Nice finding. And thanks Popej for these explanations.

Unfortunately I don’t have Mapsource, do you think it would be possible to convert these data for reading them with Google Earth or with another free software?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  16:01:46  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can try yourself. Experimental converter "nutrak" is here:
http://www.anpo.republika.pl/download.html

popej
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  16:18:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice work, I copied nutrak.exe to the 250 and run directly from there. Do you think you could upload the track to the server using this method I had trouble downloading from your link.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

popej

Poland
530 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  16:39:30  Show Profile  Visit popej's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your link point to this thread or am I missing something?

You can use direct link, but this will dissapear when I upgrade program version:
http://www.anpo.republika.pl/files/wnutrak015.zip

popej

Edited by - popej on 16 janv. 2009 23:00:25
Go to Top of Page

Jibee

Switzerland
100 Posts

Posted - 13 oct. 2007 :  21:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dear Popej... IT WORKS!!

You are the king!!

Edited by - Jibee on 14 oct. 2007 08:04:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05