Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2772

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 [TOPIC] Qstarz Q1200 BT Solar Logger - Reviewed
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2007 :  02:25:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
REVIEWED - QSTARZ BT-Q1200
200,000 point datalogger - Solar Power - Bluetooth - USB - MTK v2.0

Product page : link

Here comes a new generation of Solar GPS dataloggers with the Qstarz Q1200, after the hefty and weak F-tech/Xemics in 2005, the Q815/MTKv1.8 and iBlue757/iTrekZ1//MTKv1.8 in 2006. The Q1200 also has the large solar panel of the iBlue 757 but in a much more compact overall form factor as can be seen below. The flipside is a smaller battery that goes from 1100mAh to 750mAh and a smaller GPS antenna that goes from a large 25x25mm patch antenna to a diminutive 19.5x14.5mm. We'll see if the unavoidable drop in GPS signal level made available to the chipset will have an impact in the field.
Full review on the portal >> LINK <<

Questions, comments?

Original post by travisn000 : I was just poking around the qstarz website, and they have links to a unit called the BT-Q1200 : http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS%20Products/BT-Q1200.htm

The Description says:
Super 99 ® Bluetooth GPS Travel Recorder with 51ch performance and 48hrs navigation time (*1)
• Adopt MTK chipset with high sensitivity -158dBm with fast FFTT
• Dual Power Supply - Built in rechargeable Li -Ion battery & Solar power
• Support “One Touch” to turn On/Off LOG mode
• Stand-Alone travel recorder to log up to 200,000 records (*2)
• The innovative GPS Travel Recorder to adopt solar panel with the slim type designed
• Support WAAS+EGNOS+MSAS
• Auto On-Off function for smart power control
• Personal/Portable Navigation (PDA, Smartphone, PC, etc.)

EDIT BY GPSPASSION 20071008

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Edited by - travisn000 on 08 oct. 2007 03:19:05

Ads

neoshi

13 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2007 :  06:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The page works now. It's an MTK-based recorder, so I'm leaning towards the 757 side but with that casing, I'm not sure myself.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2007 :  10:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a very interesting device. New MTK firmware, more internal memory for more data-points, long battery life and in my opinion a better design than the Z1/757 one.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2007 :  12:02:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it looks pretty sleek, good catch, I edited the first message now that the product page is available.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

travisn000

37 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2007 :  18:34:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Semsons says:
quote:
According to Qstarz. Q-1200 won't be available until Nov or early Dec.

I also sent an email to buyGPSnow, but haven't had a response.. automated response says they are at the tradeshow in Tiawan this week.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2007 :  21:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only minus that I can see for this device is the fact that it is somewhat bulkier (although slimmer) than other devices like the Q1000 or WBT-201. But much smaller than the Z1/757, so small for a solar device for sure. Can't wait to hear more from it. I would have liked a memory size such as the new RoyalTeks though.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  15:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw have there been any reports on the size of the integrated antenna? One of the weaknesses with the WBT-201 from Wintec seems to be the small antenna size which combined with the chipset makes it a bit less sensitive in "hard areas" like forests and urban environments.

According to german retailers the BT-Q1200 will be in stock starting next week. I hope "someone" gets a review copy soon :)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:13:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't heard from Qstarz lately so I'm not sure they'll be sending a test unit this time.

Good point on the antenna, judging by the picture it would have to be located under the solar pannel, not sure that's a good thing to receive the signals from the sats, unless they put a small patch antenna in the front.

Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there some kind of tool or software that is able to measure the sensitivity on these devices? I mean, would you be able to place the Q1000 next to the Q1200 and do a comparison on the signal strength ?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:30:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By recording a log NMEA log yes, that's what I do for my reviews ;-)

Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  17:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh I see, I am still just a GPS newbie in that regard.

I am still hooked on the Wintec WBT-201 as it has a push to log button and a nokia battery which can be changed to a more powerful one, but if this device from Qstarz shows its promises (and maybe a log button?) I might chose this instead.

I wonder what kind of firmware will be in this device. 2.0?
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

803 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  03:20:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be nice to confirm or not that it works with my SW (http://sf.net/projects/bt747) and provide the Model identification so that I can modify the SW to care for the bigger memory size.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2007 :  19:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
buygpsnow.com have gotten some more information on this device. There is a downloadable manual and quick start guide.

Again, only thing I see in the manual that seems odd is the very small antenna at the front?

http://www.buygpsnow.com/Qstarz-Q1200-Bluetooth-Solar-GPS-Travel-Recorder-Data-logger.aspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to the live support on buygpsnow.com the BT-Q1200 will ship with M-core_2.0,8300 of the MTK firmware.

Edited by - caero on 18 oct. 2007 08:59:42
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2007 :  22:25:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update, but please don't multiple post, edit your message if it's the last one in the thread.

Yes the small antenna is bad news for TTFF and accuracy, but there wasn't much they could do with that type of design.
Go to Top of Page

travisn000

37 Posts

Posted - 22 oct. 2007 :  06:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
buyGPSnow is taking orders with expected ship date of 10/24..

..anyone buying? I'm tempted,but think I will wait for some feedback.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 24 oct. 2007 :  10:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As gpspassion states the seemingly small antenna could be a problem, so I myself am holding off until someone has tested this thoroughly.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,6 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05