Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2403

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 [TOPIC] AMOD AGL 3080 Photo Tracker - v2.5 update
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2007 :  03:31:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOPIC - AMOD AGL 3080 Data Logger
Driverless - 128Mb Memory - 3AAA - Full NMEA - Push to Log - One Touch Backup

Product page at Semsons : >> link <<
V2.0S firmware update : >> link <<
NMEA to Google Earth Tool : >> link <<

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080312 : AMOD have just made available a new v2.0s firmware with SN (Static Navigation) disabled (see below for explanation on SN). They have also added 6 new logging modes with variations in the update rate and NMEA messages being broadcast. With RMC messages recorded every 10 seconds, the logging life is now up to 120 days. In case that's not enough for you or if you want to backup your data, it is also OTB (One Touch Backup) compatible now (thanks to PrzemekW for checking). More details and links on page 8.

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080222 : After noting some strange logging patterns in pedestrian use, I did get confirmation that Static Navigation is indeed enabled on the v2 models of the 3080 and this cannot be changed. I mentioned that having SN activated for a data logger was not a very good idea as it is likely going to be used on foot quite a bit and they agreed. They are planning to come up with a v3 with SN disabled by default and with the option for the end-user to activate it.

Compared to other GPS Data loggers

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080122: I needed the 3800 for some comparison testing the other day and couldn't remember which one was which, so I take them both on the road and compared the results but first letting them acquire a fix next to my reradiating antenna. The results are quite interesting, the signal level is very different, about a 12dB-Hz difference, which is huge, but the actual tracks are quite comparable on average, except in more difficult conditions, sharp turns for instance, not that surprising really since the SiRFstarIII can work with very low signals, as happens behind coated windshields. The problems are long TTFF and worse accuracy of course.

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20071219: Just received a new test unit and I'm happy to report that whatever problem was causing the lack of sensitivity on my previous test unit has been fixed! I can't see any serial number on the unit so I'm not sure how to determine when it was fixed but it's safe to assume that units shipping currently are OK.

I had it stored deep inside my backpack on a train ride and walk around a Paris and it didn't miss a beat.

With this problem fixed the GL3080 goes back to the top of the list of existing dataloggers thanks to it's driverless implementation and also the fact that it records a full NMEA log that you can convert into whatever format suits your needs.

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20071031 : An update on the problems noted below, after analyzing some logs I found that the SiRFstarIII chip was being fed very low signal from the GPS satellites, hence the long TTFF (28dB-Hz is needed to download the ephemeris data and get a warm fix) and poor accuracy (due to low/noisy signal). I'm told AMOD have figured out what the problem is and are working on an updated version.

POSTED BY GPSPSASSION 20071012 : While it's very convenient to be able to download the raw NMEA track by just connecting the 3080 to a PC via USB, I'm rather disappointed by the 3080 in terms of GPS performance, it never got a fix inside Paris although I walked around for a good hour and then I saw a lot of "jumping" during a side by side comparison with the HTC Kaiser PDAPhone walking in the streets of Bry/Marne as seen above (HTC Kaiser PDAPhone in red, 3080 in green). It was clipped to the front of my backpack with a good view of the sky.

Pedestrian tracks are always a bit "wobbly", but I've seen much better from SiRFFstarIII receivers.

POSTED 20071010 BY davidw4806 : I received the unit on time yesterday. The shipping package was great and everything was in the box. The AMOD unit comes in a nice box and includes the GPS Unit, a strap that attaches to the unit and includes a swivel clip and a CD ROM. The strap is ok but the clip is plastic and I am not sure how long it will last. The unit itself is well made and the battery door is solid plastic with a good connection, it does not feel like it will fall apart.

The GPS unit is easy to use, two buttons and 3 lights. 1 button is the power button and the other is a mark button.

I put three batteries in the unit and took it outside and powered it up. It took about 2.5 minutes to get its lock but it was the first time it was on since I took it out of the box. Will have to see how long the lock takes on the weekend after it has been sitting in the same location for a few days.

After the initial lock the system showed a blinking light which means it has a good signal. I began a walk around the block. While I was walking the unit was in my hand swinging back and forth. After 3/4's of the walk I held the unit steady in my hand with no movement back and forth.

When I returned home I plugged the unit into my MacBook Pro and it showed up immediately as a drive. There is a folder on the drive that holds all the logs. I took the NEMA log and used GPS Visualizer to convert the log to a GPX file and a KMZ file. Both were created with no errors. The files worked with Jet Photo and Google Earth.

My only issue was the unit had me bouncing all over the place as plotted by the log. I finally figured out that the strange plots were only in the area where I was swinging the unit in my hand while walking. Will have to see if it does this when clipped to my camera strap which is the method I hope to use going forward.

Software:

The CD Rom comes with a copy of Jet Photo for both MAC and PC. Everything is easy to use and I had no issues at all except for the plot bouncing that I probably created myself.

Will give it more tests over the weekend when I have time.

ORIGINAL POSTI ordered the AMOD AGL3080 GPS Data Logger today. Has anyone had a chance to use one for photos yet?

I was looking for a small data logger without a proprietary battery and could go as quickly as 1 second for each log entry. The manual shows the software only reading Lon and Lat. I do not need altitude but I also am not sure what it tracks for those who want a 3D reading of their travels. It is SIRFIII LP driven and is supposed to have a life of 15 hours with three charged batteries. It uses 3 AAA batteries but does not charge any within the unit itself. Universal USB interface requires no driver for Windows or Mac and the log is stored in standard NEMA format.

It appears to be exactly what I am looking for and I hope it stores the entries in one log rather than every 95 like the DG-100 from Globalsat.

I will be sure to write about my experiences when it arrives next week.

Edited by - davidw4806 on 10 oct. 2007 23:38:36

Ads

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2007 :  03:37:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums. I added a picture and link with more information. Looks like an interesting device, particularly the fact that it is recognized as an external drive with no driver needed.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2007 :  16:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very looking forward to your thoughts and experiences with this device. I'm looking to get a GPS logger soon before I do some travelling in December. This looks like the perfect device for me (mainly geotagging photos). I want something with a SirfStar III chipset, since I'll be mostly on foot and one with driverless USB, so that I can just dump the data log onto a USB-on-the-go harddrive.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2007 :  10:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone try this device? Basically it seems to have the same features as the Wintec 201, but just with AAA batteries and a slightly larger memory. Oh and it uses sirf III instead of the antaris chipset.

The 15 hours listed as a reference is with 900MaH batteries. I wonder how long it runs on the 1500MaH AAA batteries I have.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  00:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks david for the initial review. Could you possibly attach a log of some of your walks, runs, rides etc?
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  05:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your update :).
Just wondering whether the logging interval can be configured or not. I didn't see anything about that in the manual posted online. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  08:03:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, been wondering about that too, but since it records a raw nmea log it must be the standard 1Hz update rate, will check today on the test unit I just received.
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  08:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, looking forward to your review, gpspassion :).
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  11:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep looking forward to some first hand testing from you. As you have tested the Wintec WBT-201 - could you compare the use of the track/log button on both of these?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  16:22:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm rather disappointed by the 3080, it never got a fix inside Paris although I walked around for a good hour and then I saw a lot of "jumping" during a side by side comparison with the HTC Kaiser PDAPhone walking in the streets of Bry/Marne as seen below (HTC Kaiser PDAPhone in red, 3080 in green). It was clipped to the front of my backpack with a good view of the sky.

Pedestrian tracks are always a bit "wobbly", but I've seen much better from SiRFFstarIII receivers.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  16:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eeek, that looks really bad. I had my eyes on this one as it seemed a good alternative to the Wintec WBT-201, but all that wobblyness and poor reception is no good. I guess I'll watch and see what the Qstarz BT-Q1200 brings before triggering the buy of my next datalogger.

Thanks for the quick test of the device!

Edited by - caero on 12 oct. 2007 16:44:51
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  07:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the test. Yes, disappointing performance. Was really about to order this one. Now I have to re-think it.
Have you had a look if the Amod is configurable in any way? Like logging interval, etc? I guess not since it just records a raw NMEA log.
Also, any chance for a driverless logger shootout? :).
Thanks again :)

Does the Royaltek RGM-3800 have better GPS performance than this? These are my top 2 choices at the moment. The Royaltek doesn't act as a USB drive, but if I log at 5sec intervals and long&lat only, it should be able to store ~37 days worth of logs. I doubt I'll spend that long travelling without access to a computer, so it should be OK for my needs. Its disappointing battery life isn't too big a deal if I carry spare batteries.
Go to Top of Page

designwallah

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  22:08:34  Show Profile  Visit designwallah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a newbie at this stuff, so thanks for the review. If other people that posted comments are disappointed about the AMOD, why would they hesitate about getting the Wintec WBT-200?

Thanks,

Francis.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2007 :  20:28:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An update on the problems noted in my mini-review above, after analyzing some logs I found that the SiRFstarIII chip was being fed very low signal from the GPS satellites, hence the long TTFF (28dB-Hz is needed to download the ephemeris data and get a warm fix) and poor accuracy (due to low/noisy signal). I'm told AMOD have figured out what the problem is and are working on an updated version.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2007 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just received a new test unit and I'm happy to report that whatever problem was causing the lack of sensitivity on my previous test unit has been fixed! I can't see any serial number on the unit so I'm not sure how to determine when it was fixed but it's safe to assume that units shipping currently are OK.

I had it stored deep inside my backpack on a train ride and walk around a Paris and it didn't miss a beat.

With this problem fixed the GL3080 goes back to the top of the list of existing dataloggers thanks to it's driverless implementation and also the fact that it records a full NMEA log that you can convert into whatever format suits your needs.

Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  13:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Is it possible to have a nmea log sample ?
Thanks,
Christophe
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  13:18:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any particular reason ?

Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  13:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To know if there is all infos in the NMEA sentences (dop, sat, ...).

Thanks,

Christophe

Go to Top of Page

fmapilot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 30 déc. 2007 :  17:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the unit really log at 1HZ?
Is the speed recorded at 1Hz as well?
Did anyone test he performance of the elevation (altitude) data?
Is there any utility to configure the unit?

[I plan to use it for geo-tagging AND to record my ski runs]
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02 janv. 2008 :  19:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Just received . . . . .

So by "Didn't miss a beat" does that mean it's accurate like SiRFstarIII is suppose to be ?

I was considering this over the WBT-200 for the number of waypoints ,no driver usb connection and the SiRFstarIII chipset.

However if its not as accurate (or better hopefully) I'll have to reconsider.

Could you elaborate or help on the accuracy between the two ?

Great site. Long time reader, first time to post.
Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 02 janv. 2008 :  20:45:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct, the sensitivity issues noted with the first model are gone, it now performs as expected from a SiRFstarIII receiver ;-)

Go to Top of Page

fmapilot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02 janv. 2008 :  22:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered it this morning (from Semsons), hoping that the speed is also recorded every second, and that the altitude is accurate. I should receive it - hopefully - by the end of next week. I will post some files here but I will only be able to compare with a forerunner 301 (which records - at best - every 15 seconds)
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2008 :  21:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Have anyone tested if this device can be used in the USB "on the go" setup? In other words - is it confirmed that it is possible to copy log files directly to the harddrive in the OTG case without a computer?

2. Is there a way to configure any settings (log interval, type of data logged...)?

Regards,
D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2008 :  22:26:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1. Where would you want to copy a log if not on a computer ?
2. My test unit didn't ship with a utility, and I'd say no since it records a raw NMEA log but I could be wrong.

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2008 :  12:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pity there is no way to influence working of the device. I wonder if you can see the file with NMEA logs on the device grow when it is plugged into computer and working as a GPS?

Answering your question:
Agreed. Eventually I would like to have logs on the computer. But when I am away on few weeks journey without access to the computer at all (sometimes it is just to much of a trouble) I want to be able to download logs from GSP directly to the harddrive in OTG (or what is now called One-Touch-Backup) enclosure (e.g.: http://www.welland.com.tw/html/enclosure/942.html). I am using such device as a photobank and what I want is to be able to use it to store GPS logs as well.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2008 :  12:38:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll check for the status of the log size.

Can you tell me more about the way OTG works? You just plug it to your camera, press a button and it downloads the content of the SD card? Does it create one folder per backup?

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2008 :  14:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just compared my first track of the 3080 to my Garmin 2610. This track was while sitting still and while traveling in an auto with the 3080 on the dash next to the 2610. I have some photos and will ask for comments from the more GPS savvy if this is acceptable or not.

Start up wasn't good but to be fair I was indoors in a wooden frame home and it was an overcast day. It took about 5 minutes before it tracked within about 25-30 feet (9 meters) of my location. After that it seemed ok but once outdoors and I started moving it was off about 75ft/23 meters from the Garmin (and my return track.)

You can see here as I turned south this cleared up. Perhaps the front of the Gamin blocked a bit of the signal ?

(3080 Track in red.) http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/Paleofuzz/Start-up.jpg

I stopped roadside for just a few minutes here. The Garmin didn't show this. I suspect something in the software ?
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/Paleofuzz/Roadside-Google-Track.jpg

This is a stop for gas/petrol. (The Green Dots is where I sat while waiting.)
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/Paleofuzz/Gas---Petrol--Google-Track.jpg

My Destination. (I sat in the drive here for about ten minutes)
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/Paleofuzz/Destination-Google-Track.jpg

Stop at a local school on the return. (Width is about 18 ft. not 12 as marked)
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w293/Paleofuzz/Local-School.jpg

It records one point per second in NMEA .log format. I connected the usb and downloaded the file as if it were from another drive.(No need to turn the unit on.)I then converted it using GPSBable before viewing it in Google Earth.

I'm going to try another track in the next few days while walking. And will recheck the start up time then.

Could someone comment on the accuracy while stopped ?

Edited by - TonyW. on 10 janv. 2008 22:35:09
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2008 :  15:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Can you tell me more about the way OTG works? You just plug it to your camera, press a button and it downloads the content of the SD card? Does it create one folder per backup?

Sure. OTG means On-The-Go and it is part of the USB standard AFAIK. First I must say this is rather crude but effective way of backing up flash cards. I have never had any problems with it and I am using it for a few years now. The working principle is easy.

I have a harddrive in a special HD case which has miniUSB socket and a copy button. There is a cable miniUSB-standardUSB to which I connect an external card reader (not universal e.g.: 51in1 but just a card reader for my favorite card standard: actually I have two separate card readers: one for SD and one for CF). HD Case work as USB Host, which means that it behaves as a computer (it supply power to the card reader). When HD Case is ready to copy content of the card inserted in the card reader it bips. All I have to do is press copy button. Diode is blinking while files are copied (I can copy the same card many times as each time I press copy button new directory is created on the harddrive) and there are three bips when copy is complete. It is powered by 4xAA battery (easy to buy or recharge) in a special case. It is also possible to use external power supply. For me it was also important that when HD case is connected to the computer (using the same USB socket) harddrive is powered by the computer (no external power needed). It makes it a superb external harddrive easy to carry around (only one cable needed). The downside is that without a computer there is no way to know when the disk is nearly full (when it is full HD Case doesn't allow to copy, so no files are lost) but I can live with it.

Hope this answers all your questions ;)

D.

One more thing: Welland claims that it is possible to download photos directly for the camera using USB interface. They even prepared a document listing all cameras supported but I have never tested this option.

Edited by - PrzemekW on 10 janv. 2008 15:49:23
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2008 :  15:49:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thanks, definitely need to get one of those, it sounds like it may be able to work with the AMOD since it behaves like an external USB dive.

@TonyW - interesting pictures and comments. What were the startup conditions, i.e. how long was it since you'd used both systems? The initial "drift" could be due to low accuracy from an insufficient number of sats in the fix in turn due to not having been able to download enough ephemeris data. You can't really expect to do that properly indoors, more about that here -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157&page=3#ttff

It could also be that you have a unit with a sensitivity problem like the first one I had.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2008 :  17:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: gpspasssion @TonyW.

This was the first time the 3080 was powered on. The Garmin hadn't been used in few days. I might note I went out side and placed it on the dash next to the 2610. I turned on the 2610 and selected tracking. I was outside in the car two or three minutes before leaving.

The concern I have is the drift/wobble while in one spot. If you'll look at the photo in my other post of the destination you'll see as I sat there for about ten minutes the drift/wobble was about 9 meters. I'm afraid this going to to translate into a lot of wobble at walking speed.

Should I ask for a replacement ?

Edited by - TonyW. on 10 janv. 2008 22:26:12
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2008 :  09:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion - In other topic I've found that you have tested EverMore GT-900BT. Besides 15-sec interval of logging (no change possible?) it is supposed to be driverless GPS. When you plug it to the computer is it visible as external storage with log file accessible? Or maybe as with Wintec WPL-1000: to read log files installation of driver is still needed?

D.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2008 :  13:28:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is driverless, but the file is proprietary, you need their software to decode it and export it to other formats.

Was looking into OTB 2.5" enclosures and haven't found one with included batteries, and I can't tell if there is some type of power plug, probably not, maybe there are USB y cables with a 4mm jack connector to plug a battery pack...

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2008 :  19:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are 2.5" OTG enclosures with internal proprietary batteries, but I find it to be a downside. What I got with my enclosure was this: http://www.apex-computers.pl/upload/produkt/Baterie_150.jpg

It holds 4xAA batteries and is plugged into 5V power plug in the OTG enclosure (alternatively you can use any standard power supply with 5V output).

Link to the case I have:
http://www.welland.com.tw/html/enclosure/940u2.html

Here is a photo of a full set:
http://www.fen.pl/index3.php?go=12&act=1&actfs=7&fileid%5B%5D=1249

As I said: it is not perfect, but it does what it is supposed to do; When I am in a field taking photos I use it as a photobank. When I'm back home it is a convenient way to move huge amounts of data between PCs.

D.

Edited by - PrzemekW on 11 janv. 2008 19:59:10
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2008 :  20:00:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, seems to be an excellent combo indeed, now to find one ;-)

Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 13 janv. 2008 :  22:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Jus received an Amod 3080 yesterday.

This datalogger seems to have a real sensibility pb.

Have made a static test this morning.

I have logged nmea datas several hour on the Amod and in the same time on my Royaltek rbt-2300.

More than 11000 point have been logged during 03:05:08 hour.

Following some results :

average hdop pdop nb of satellites
rbt-2300 1,18 1,94 7,54
alg3080 2,31 3,8 5,01

hdop <= 1 hdop <= 2 hdop > 2
rbt-2300 32% 68% 1%
amod-3080 0% 52% 48%

Amod ALG3080

Royaltek rbt-2300

Have I to contact Amod or my vendor ?

Christophe
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2008 :  00:48:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You should probably start by contacting the place/person who sold it to you. Did you look at the signal levels ? I can do that for you if you send me both files on gpspassion [@] gmail.com - Maybe you have a first gen model with the sensitivity issue, see my comments in the first message.

Go to Top of Page

rakerman

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  03:20:54  Show Profile  Visit rakerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've done a review of an AGL3080 direct from AMOD. Results are comparable to my other SIRFstarIII and MTK loggers.

http://scilib.typepad.com/techreviews/2008/01/amod-agl3080-ma.html

Richard's Tech Reviews - GPS Loggers and Geotagging Photos
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  09:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@rakerman

Have you actually tested OTG capability of the AGL3080?

D.
Go to Top of Page

rakerman

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  13:33:34  Show Profile  Visit rakerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@PrzemekW

I haven't tested it with a USB OTG device yet.

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  14:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do OTG test please publish your findings on this forum. Also a test with SA Watch seems to be a good way of determining sensitivity and accuracy of the GPS receiver. In review you are happy with sensitivity of your unit and I wonder how this compare to what denti13 observed. Do you think you could execute this test? SA Watch is freely available from: http://www.huntting.com/sawatch/

D.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  14:16:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SAWatch is excellent but shows the accuracy not the sensitivity, although they are linked of course. For sensitiviy you need to analyze the raw NMEA logs as I do in my reviews.

On the topic of OTG, I'm not finding your model available around here, do you know of any other units that can be used with a battery pack ?

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  15:55:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a quick search and indeed it is a problem to buy Welland products outside Poland (even on eBay!). I can provide you with a few addresses of e-shops in Poland but I do not know if they are shipping overseas. Your best shot would be to ask directly at Welland (http://www.welland.com.tw/html/contact.html) who is distributing their products in the US. Have you found any external enclosures with OTG support that are sold in your part of the world?

D.
Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  17:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

@ Gpspassion

Perhaps but how do you explain the SA Watch result ?

Thanks,

Christophe
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  20:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried an log of just little over and hour and got this.

I'm unsure of all the information it offers but this appears to be well within ten meters. I've also tried a track of about 15/20 minutes while walking and found it was within about 5 meters.

I intend to try another one of about 3hours for comparison. Since I'm a novice, if theres something particular I should set in the software some please let me know.

Here is the three hour.
Since it takes it a couple of minutes to stabilize I think they would actually be a bit better if the first couple of minutes were trimmed.

Edited by - TonyW. on 16 janv. 2008 02:46:23
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  22:34:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks excellent to me, where was it placed ?

@denti13 - like I said, poor sensitivity->poor accuracy, but SA Watch only shows the poor accuracy.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 15 janv. 2008 :  23:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: gpspassion "Looks excellent to me, where was it placed ?"

On top of a flower pot next to my sidewalk.
It's very clear here today. Full sun and cold.

I plan on trying it in a metro area and see how it does around high-rises.
Weather is to turn bad so it may be a day or so. (Tomorrow if possible.)

Edited by - TonyW. on 16 janv. 2008 02:43:52
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2008 :  14:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one more question to owners of AMOD AGL3080. Does deleting content of flash by pressing POWER and MARK keys
simultaneously for about 10 sec work?

D.
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2008 :  15:11:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it does.

Press both buttons at once and hold them for about ten seconds. All three lights will slowly flash. Then they will quickly flash as the 3080's is cleaning up the memory.

I release the buttons when this starts. After it clears the memory it automatically goes into normal mode and starts recording a new track.
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2008 :  16:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW/ can someone tell me while using SA Watch what percentage of a HDOP >2 would be considered bad or unacceptable for SiRFstarIII ?

I've ran a short log today (about 45 min.) and have a 8% HDOP >2. I think its due to it being a overcast ?

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2008 :  00:51:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the weather has no known impact on accuracy. HDOP really depends on your particular environment, the number of visible satellites, etc...if you're interested in real life testing scenarios you should take a look at this series of articles -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175

Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2008 :  14:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@ Tony

Some results with some GPS put exactly at the same place (but not the same time except fot the 2 last result) :

Distribution by Hdop
<=1 <=2 >2
RBT 3000 4% 64% 32% (Sirf II - 5h30 datas)
Mio P350 45% 53% 1% (Sirf III - 8h datas - with external antenna)
RBT 2300 77% 23% 0% (Sirf IIILp - 5h30 datas)
RGM 3800 32% 67% 1% (Sirf IIILp - 3h05 datas)
ALG 3080 0% 52% 48% (Sirf IIILp - 3h05 datas)

Probally my Amod is one of the first bad series ?

@ Gpspassion

Did you find something in my Nmea logs ?

@+,

Denti13

Edited by - denti13 on 17 janv. 2008 14:18:09
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2008 :  14:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re:gpspassion "No the weather has no known impact on accauracy."

Ok, I understand , sensitivity is a separate issue.

Not to get to far off topic but when evaluating the 3080 would the signal strength / signal to noise ratio be worth looking at.

Sample from NMEA log. (I think ? the red is the SNR)
$GPGSV,3,1,09,17,66,016,43,04,55,212,43,20,28,075,39,02,19,220,36*7A
$GPGSV,3,2,09,28,56,129,42,09,22,306,,11,13,051,32,08,05,178,28*76
$GPGSV,3,3,09,51,00,000,40*40

I'm not sure whats good/acceptable. I think I saw much higher signal strengths on other gps devices in one of the links gpspassion mentioned. These appear they would be low on average.
(Is their software for this?)

@ denti13. Thanks. I Can see where this would vary a bit from run to run though.

Edited by - TonyW. on 17 janv. 2008 16:14:56
Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2008 :  17:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sent my GPS back to the vendor. Waiting for a new one.

Is there an ALG 3080 owner who have made some trials under trees (forest) ?

Denti13

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2008 :  00:47:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Let us know how it goes.

@Tony - these numbers look fine, I thought I had put the numbers of my problem 3080 in the first message, it could barely go above 28dB-Hz.

@PrzemekW - I went out hunting for a 2.5" OTG yesterday and I found a few (none with the battery pack but wit 5v in so I could connect a pack), but I'm still not sure how you would go about connecting the miniUSB on the OTG to the 2.5" on the 3080 or on a card reader for that matter. You wrote "There is a cable miniUSB-standardUSB to which I connect an external card reader", so is that a femail standardUSB you have on the other side?

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2008 :  09:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered ALG 3080 a few days ago so soon we will have answers to all my previous questions.

I do not see any problems connecting ALG 3080 to OTG's miniUSB socket. With USB it is possible to connect anything directly with anything - just look at the picture:

http://holender.net.pl/1/artcomallegro/trawl1.jpg

Anyway from what I get from rakerman review there is a USB (male miniUSB<->standardUSB male) cable with ALG 3080. With my OTG I've got (female) standardUSB<->miniUSB (male) cable so no problem here.

D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2008 :  13:35:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm not seeing a connector in the picture that will let you have a "male miniUS B to male miniUSB" connection, but if your OTG came with a "(female) standardUSB<->miniUSB (male)" then you should be fine, these cables are rather rare, none of the shops I went to sold them and they didn't come with the OTG either, I guess you have a unique model, that and the battery pack ;-) I'll drop them an email to see if I can order one.

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2008 :  21:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be convinced that my OTG is somehow unique if not the fact that it is the most common model sold in Poland ;)
But you are right: USB female – miniUSB male cables are not easy to come by. Battery pack can be bought separately quite easy (in Poland anyway).

D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2008 :  21:30:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I meant that particular model of course ;-) Honestly I'm not sure I see the point of OTG if you're not doing a backup of a memory card, which requires a miniUSB to miniUSB cable. What are they expecting you to plug in the OTB drive that has a native USB connector? Well maybe it works with digital cameras that are seen as external drives by windows by default.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2008 :  15:20:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Initially I thought I may have had one of the first 3080's. Semsons & Company sent me another one immediately then gave me 15 days to return the fist one. ( Great customer service.) Upon comparing them I found both were good. One was slightly more accurate , the other slightly more sensitive.

The tracks below are the results.

The track in the park was a 1.8 mile walk (Clockwise from point 0 in the photo). The road was somewhat hilly and in among the trees more the first half of the walk.

The next one is a clockwise walk within about a three block metro area. From the points shown I walked to a store for change and then back to the parking meter, so the upper part was crossed three times.

The last one is while driving out of the metro.

From a novice point of view the 3080 seems very accurate but I'm unsure about the sensitivity level compared to other loggers.

I just thought I would post these for comparison . I look forward to reading other assessments of the 3080 so please share.

Park

Metro

Driving

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2008 :  15:56:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which is one is which ? Can you resize your caps to a width to 600 to not stretch out the page to much?

Incidentally I needed the 3800 for some comparison testing the other day and couldn't remember which one was which, so I take them both on the road and compared the results but first letting them acquire a fix next to my reradiating antenna. The results are quite interesting, the signal level is very different, about a 12dB-Hz difference, which is huge, but the actual tracks are quite comparable on average, except in more difficult conditions, sharp turns for instance, not that surprising really since the SiRFstarIII can work with very low signals, as happens behind coated windshields. The problems are long TTFF and worse accuracy of course.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2008 :  16:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion

I fixed the width. Sorry I'll make a note.

The track in blue is the first one I received.

At first I thought the second unit was better? (It does appear more sensitive.)Its hard to see in the photos but when I was in the metro and crossed the street in the same location 3x the track on the fist 3080 actually showed where I crossed the street. It was closer to the location of my car to and virtually leads up to the door of the store I went into.

The second one picked up in locations the first one didn't though. Notice the lower right corner of the metro track. There was a cut through on that corner and the second one picked it up. The next corner headed north (N is up) it appears the second one is much better but there was a gap where it jumped the length of the line (lower left red line to center of photo.) From there they are close

Again in the park the second one seems more sensitive but the first one a little more accurate.

I ran SA Watch over an hour and again a three hour period. These were placed side by side outside near my sidewalk.

The first one:
1 hr <=1 (51) <=2 (49) >2 (0)
3 hr <=1 (54) <=2 (46) >2 (0)

The second one:
1 hr <=1 (46) <=2 (54) >2 (0)
3 hr <=1 (51) <=2 (49) >2 (0)

Thoughts ?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2008 :  17:01:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is that HDOP ? What about the 95% values ?
Do you still have the raw logs? You can send them to me on gpspassion [@] mail.com and I can check out the senstivity like I did for mine.

Thanks for resizing, you can always link to a larger picture, see http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14251 for the format.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2008 :  18:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion
.log(s) sent.

I'm very curious. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
RE: Below Post.

That is good news. & Thanks again.

Edited by - TonyW. on 24 janv. 2008 13:15:04
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  01:05:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, both of your loggers are fine sensitivity wise with comparable max and average signal levels (in dB-Hz):
45.14/45.86
29.31/28.68

Average sats are slightly different at 6.32 vs 6.85 but nothing huge.

Go to Top of Page

rakerman

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 28 janv. 2008 :  21:17:55  Show Profile  Visit rakerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PrzemekW

If you do OTG test please publish your findings on this forum.

Bad news: On a quick test with the Sima Hitch (USB OTG transfer device), I wasn't able to get it to recognize the AGL3080.

Edited by - rakerman on 29 janv. 2008 00:53:05
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2008 :  01:49:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, makes me feel better about not having gotten a hold of an OTB backup system ;-)

I must say I'm finding the 3080 to be a great companion for my GPS testing and geotagging, really easy to plug it in and grab the nmea log.

Having it next to the new PDAPhones with GPS (HTC Touch Cruise and Eten X600) made me realize it was rather large though, but it's light and you can't beat having a large patch antenna for good performance :

Go to Top of Page

fmapilot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2008 :  15:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick question: what (free) software are you using to export the .log (=.nmea) log files to csv? I was using logconverter (referenced in this forum) but found that the csv export was missing date/time in 25% of the records. The KML export seems to work OK (once the .log files are renamed to .nme)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2008 :  16:00:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You could try gpsvisualizer.com an online front end for GPS Babel.

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2008 :  16:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Bad news: On a quick test with the Sima Hitch (USB OTG transfer device), I wasn't able to get it to recognize the AGL3080.

I am still waiting for my AGL3080 and this is a bad news :(
But I am not loosing hope utill I test this GPS with my OTG HDD enclousure. It still can work.

D.
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2008 :  17:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Has anyone tried the GPS Photo Tracker software that comes with the 3080 ?

Good / Bad ?

Edit: Btw/ I found an Update for Photo Tracker. V1.3.7
http://www.amod.com.tw/Support/support.htm

Edited by - TonyW. on 29 janv. 2008 19:31:59
Go to Top of Page

fmapilot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 29 janv. 2008 :  21:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the reply to my question on the export tool. I use gpsvisalizer when I am online but I was looking for an off-line tool. I will look at gpsbabel.
Go to Top of Page

angra

5 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2008 :  11:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a new 3080, and my first few track logs are pretty jumpy. Is there a way to tell if I got the v1 or v2? Maybe by serial #? I'm pretty new with using a logger so maybe I'm doing something wrongly and its not the 3080 at all.
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2008 :  15:46:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm a novice myself so take this with a grain of salt. (The more GPS savy feel feel to correct me. I like to learn too.)

Compared to at track from a GPS such as a Garmin etc. the tracks won't be quite as sooth on loggers. (More jumpy.) My guess is its due to the lack of firmware. (Things such as "dead reckoning". ) So its kind of a "what it sees - is what you get."

Since accuracy is probably within about 10 meters it may be part of the jumpiness (or wobble) you see. Also, if signal is not picked up, the track will jump from the last point, to the next location it gets a signal. ( A straight line.)

If you look at the NMEA.log and find the string $GPGSV,
look at the value in the seventh place to the right. (e.g. $GPGSV,a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o. )

Look at G. This is the signal to noise ratio. Mine was in the lower 30's to mid 40's. (higher is better) This repeats four spots to the right (e.g K) and again 4 spots to the right again (O) to the end of the string.

Lastly, after searching the forum I found there is a macro by Charly Karome written for Microsoft Excel. It will give you the signal strenght from a .log. I might mention I haven't been able to get it to run but I was trying it in Open Office. (a Excel Clone) Heres the url to a translated page for the macro. http://tinyurl.com/ytwhq2

I hope this helps.

P.S. If you bought from Semsons all the ones they have in stock now are the newer ones.

Edited by - TonyW. on 30 janv. 2008 23:45:24
Go to Top of Page

angra

5 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2008 :  16:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tony,

Thanks for the reply. I have a perl nmea parser and can extract signal strengths from that. Mine from last night were definitely not as high as the good ones you just reported, and the table gpspassion posted in the first post.

I am currently running a much longer log in more widely varying set of conditions, so maybe I will have a better idea.

How long has semson been 100% with the "new" version?
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 30 janv. 2008 :  19:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email from 01/02/2008 :
Hi Tony,

Yes, all the units we have in our inventory are the new updated version. All previous version were returned to Amod for exchange already.

Regards,

Support Team,
www.semsons.com

Tony wrote:
> To Clarify.
>
> I'm interested in purchasing only if the one you have in stock is the updated version ?

Edited by - TonyW. on 30 janv. 2008 23:44:53
Go to Top of Page

fmapilot

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02 févr. 2008 :  01:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - 01/29/2008 : 17:59:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't had a chance to try it yet. Has anyone tried the GPS Photo Tracker software that comes with the 3080 ?

Good / Bad ?

Edit: Btw/ I found an Update for Photo Tracker. V1.3.7

Has anyone tested the setup tool available above? The AmodAVLTools_SW0.33_Setup.zip file seems to be password-protected despite being available in a public support section.
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2008 :  15:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot make SA Watch work with raw logs from AMOD 3080. SA Watch is unable to find any samples when I use option "logging file statistics" from file menu. Other options ("Journal RAW NMEA Data", "Open NMEASamp file") are gray and I cannot select it. Help please!

I have tried converting logs to different format using GPSBabel but SA Watch does not recognize it either. What is it that I am doing wrong?

D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2008 :  16:32:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The RAW Nmea data is the way to go, what version are you using?

Any luck using your OTB drive?

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2008 :  20:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No luck so far with OTG :(

In my opinion this makes AMOD 3080 officially non OTG compatible. For me it is a mayor drawback. I did send to AMOD question concerning this issue two days ago but I have received no replay so far (for my previous mails asking about compatibility with OTG either - they are not very customer friendly I suppose).

I am using the only version of SA Watch I could download, that is 3.80. Option RAW Nmea data is gray out. Should I configure something before this option become available?

D.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2008 :  20:26:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bad news about OTG.

Not suref for SA, you may need to set a "home location" for the map center first ?

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 08 févr. 2008 :  21:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesen't seem to be "home location" issue. Are you using the same version of SA Watch? Was option "Journal RAW NMEA Data" available right after installation?

D.
Go to Top of Page

rakerman

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 09 févr. 2008 :  15:31:40  Show Profile  Visit rakerman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fmapilot
Has anyone tested the setup tool available above? The AmodAVLTools_SW0.33_Setup.zip file seems to be password-protected despite being available in a public support section.

AVLTools is the wrong file, that's for the ATK1050. You want

http://www.amod.com.tw/Support/AMOD_GPS_Photo_Tracker_Software_V1.3.7.zip

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2008 :  00:34:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It doesen't seem to be "home location" issue. Are you using the same version of SA Watch? Was option "Journal RAW NMEA Data" available right after installation?

D.

Try open NMEASamp file.> All files > yourfilename.log
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2008 :  08:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for help TonyW, but this option is not accessible either (gray out). I tried installing SA Watch on three different computers and it is always the same. Am I missing something? I have seen statistics on this forum taken with unregistered version so it is not a source of the problem. Was for you all options ready to use right after installation of SA Watch or you have to do something first?

D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2008 :  14:23:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually if we don't have a thread about SA Watch already, it would be a good idea for yout to start one as this is unrelated to the AMOD ;-)

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2008 :  19:10:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for help TonyW, but this option is not accessible either (gray out). I tried installing SA Watch on three different computers and it is always the same. Am I missing something? I have seen statistics on this forum taken with unregistered version so it is not a source of the problem. Was for you all options ready to use right after installation of SA Watch or you have to do something first?

D.

Last one Gpspassion this may clear this up.

Its not freeware. There's is a $20.00 registration fee.
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 10 févr. 2008 :  20:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose this is a case here. But it would be nice if author had warned in included help that evaluation version of his program has limited functionality.

D.
Go to Top of Page

knel

Argentina
7 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2008 :  02:37:42  Show Profile  Visit knel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought my AMOD AGL3080 a few days ago and I getting an incredible help from rakerman. I'm testing the unit every day on different scenarios. And I can say that works great when I'm travelling in my car, but when I'm walking it's relatively accurate (20 meters) most of the time, but from time to time it gets REALLY crazy, jumping from one place to another (differences of more than 50 meters sometimes). I'm a Mac user and I working with HoudaGPS to convert my logs to KML and see the information on GoogleEarth.

My problem now is: WHAT ABOUT THE WAYPOINT/MARK BUTTON?

I press it plenty of times and I can't see any waypoint mark inside the .log file (HoudahGPS Support told me that it should start with: GPWPL). Any ideas? When I convert the file to Google Earth, it doesn't show any waypoint either. THANKS!! And sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

http://www.canelson.com.ar
--
Macbook 2Ghz CoreDuo | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
Sony DSC-H1 Digital Camera
AMOD AGL3080 GPS

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2008 :  09:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by knel
And I can say that works great when I'm travelling in my car, but when I'm walking it's relatively accurate (20 meters) most of the time, but from time to time it gets REALLY crazy, jumping from one place to another (differences of more than 50 meters sometimes). I'm a Mac user and I working with HoudaGPS to convert my logs to KML and see the information on GoogleEarth.

I have exactly the same symptoms. Is it normal for a GPS or should I get concern?

D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2008 :  09:29:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it could be that the AMOD is losing the fix, GPS is dependent on the immeditate environment, see this article for the impact of low signal levels, and depending on when you bought yours it might be the old version with the sensitiviy issues, see the first pages for comments about that.

Haven't used the waypoing feature, can't say I really need it since the 3080 logs data every seconds anyway so if you need to memorize a point, just take a picture !I suspect it only works with the stock software, although apparently HoudahGPS supports it too? Have you loooked at the raw logs to see if there are messages starting with that message?

Go to Top of Page

knel

Argentina
7 Posts

Posted - 11 févr. 2008 :  12:33:10  Show Profile  Visit knel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In theory, it should be a v2 unit, because i bought it on January 25th. I checked the RAW logs and there is no GPWPL string.

--
AMOD AGL3080 GPS

Go to Top of Page

rayl

1 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  12:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I'm new to this forum, and recently started on GPS logging.

I bought the AMOD and i'm very happy with the result. I tried the Holux + Nokia E61 combo, but the logging data was not accurate and unstable.

Anyways, just to say thanks for all the posting!
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  15:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

deleted for space. . . .

My problem now is: WHAT ABOUT THE WAYPOINT/MARK BUTTON?

I press it plenty of times and I can't see any waypoint mark inside the .log file (HoudahGPS Support told me that it should start with: GPWPL). Any ideas? When I convert the file to Google Earth, it doesn't show any waypoint either. THANKS!! And sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

It seems like I read in the document files for the software that came with the 3080 that they would be marked in a different color. (red,blue) I forget.

I guess your stuck using their software ?

Edited by - TonyW. on 12 févr. 2008 15:30:16
Go to Top of Page

knel

Argentina
7 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2008 :  16:01:14  Show Profile  Visit knel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not using their software, I'm using HoudahGPS to convert the logs to KML files. And I'm testing HoudahGEO for geotagging. But I checked the log code and it hasn't any GPWPL string in it, which are the waypoints strings.

--
AMOD AGL3080 GPS

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 15 févr. 2008 :  04:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First time posting after a lot of lurking and learning.

Finally decided to buy an AMOD GPS Photo Tracker AGL3080 after comparing the features of many different models. What made the difference was the simple interface, easy flagging, standard AAA batteries and direct downloading via USB. I was even able to save the log file to my Epson P-3000 so when my computer is not nearby, I can still save the files for later use. This for me was the big plus. I feel much more comfortable without being tied to a special program to retrieve the data.

The GPS Log manager by JetPhoto is also easy to use and quickly shows the log track in Google Earth. The GPS was under several layers of winter clothing and the track tends to occasionally wander but accurately shows where I stopped and crossed the street a few times.

In AMOD Photo Tracker v1.2.2, merging the track and photos is easy to do but when I click on the display in Google Map button, the result is displaced 1853 kilometers west of my position.The coordinates in Google Earth and the log file agree so I don't know why Google Map is about 24 degrees off.
Go to Top of Page

Ilogalam

6 Posts

Posted - 15 févr. 2008 :  09:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to buy an amod 3080 and to use it with an epson p-3000. Did you have any problem transfering the files ?
Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 15 févr. 2008 :  13:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saving to my P-3000 could not have been easier. Plug the 3080 into the host device USB port, select USB device / backup USB device and you're done. A great combination in the field to save both pictures and GPS logs.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 févr. 2008 :  13:33:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, alhtough I am also seeing "jumps" in the logs now, only when using the 3080 on foot it seems, I wonder if they haven't enabled the dreaded static navigation setting...

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2008 :  00:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there an easy way to modify it ?

quote:
Originally posted by trs2004

. . . . . In AMOD Photo Tracker v1.2.2, merging the track and photos is easy to do but when I click on the display in Google Map button, the result is displaced 1853 kilometers west of my position.The coordinates in Google Earth and the log file agree so I don't know why Google Map is about 24 degrees off.

Update the software. It fixes it.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2008 :  01:05:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Only if you can connect to the gps module from a PC and I'm not seeing a way to do that, again, I'm not sure SN is on, but these problems are pretty typical of SN as explained in the article I linked.

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2008 :  01:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TonyW.

Is there an easy way to modify it ?

[quote]Originally posted by trs2004

. . . . .

Update the software. It fixes it.

Thanks for the tip, that fixed it. Now my pictures don't move 1853 km
Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2008 :  03:28:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious as to how long this GPS will last on one charge, I inserted three rechargeable Energizer AAA batteries (NiMH, 900mAh) Next I turned the unit on and placed it on my second floor window shelf with a north-east view of the sky. The logs show that after 18h 05min and 36sec, the unit stopped working. The log file was 19,472kB.

The center of the target is the location of the unit. The circle has a radius of 20m. The majority of the wandering seems limited to that part of the sky that was visible during the test and was generally within a 20m radius of the unit. Is that good? Remember that the unit did not physically move during the test.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2008 :  02:05:13  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks quite normal for indoor logging, yes !

I did get confirmation that Static Navigation is indeed enabled on the v2 models of the 3080 and this cannot be changed. I mentioned that having SN activated for a data logger was not a very good idea as it is likely going to be used on foot quite a bit and they agreed. They are planning to come up with a v3 with SN disabled by default and with the option for the end-user to activate it.

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2008 :  17:58:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
V3? You've got my attention. Is it going to be software upgrade (can do it myself?)? Do they plan to support OTG functionality as well? Any timeframe for release of v3? Sorry for troubling you with all this questions but AMOD has never responded to any of my e-mails.

D.

Edited by - PrzemekW on 23 févr. 2008 18:14:57
Go to Top of Page

therock

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2008 :  01:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

Tried out the 3080 today. Did the GPS Photo Tracker show in Google map and wound up on the equator. I am in the US. I updated to v1.3.7 and now wind up dead center China.
I guess shes going back to Semsons. The static thing is irritating also. I used SiRFDemo and it would not switch to NMEA and the disable Static would not take. I guess it's all in the way it's built.

Can anyone recommend another unit. I am a wildlife photographer and all I use it for is walking the woods. who shoots pics from a moving car?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2008 :  01:40:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, and the odd thing is that there was apparently no SN in the v1 that had the sensitivity issues...You could look at the new Qstarz BT-Q1000P/MTK or the SiRFstarIII Globalsat BT-335 that has excellent sensitivity. Neither is driverless like the AMOD though.

@PrzemekW - I'll ask but I don't think the current models can be upgraded since USB only give access to the flash memory, unless there is some type of key combination to activate actual GPS data flow.

Go to Top of Page

knel

Argentina
7 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2008 :  01:47:19  Show Profile  Visit knel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I sent a mail to AMOD HQ and I didn't get a reply either, I just wanted to check if my unit is v1 or v2, because I made some testings and as another reviewer said: works like a drunken sailor.
I made a fixed location test for 45 minutes and the worst result gave me a 76 meters distance from the location, also tracking while I'm walking on the street is awful... very bad. Any ideas?

PS: Sorry for my english, is not my native language.

--
AMOD AGL3080 GPS

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2008 :  06:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion did they give you any idea when v3 would be out. Seems to me it would be a simple fix ?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 01 mars 2008 :  00:12:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wasn't too sure about that, but it seems the SN On/Off utility will be compatible with the existing models and should become available within a week or so, so let's stay tuned for more !

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2008 :  01:14:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made another trail today while cross-country skiing; open woods and clearing. The unit recorded a single track while moving but whenever I was stationary for a while, it would record seemingly random spikes. Not something to inspire confidence. If the fix can bring these under control, this would be a very good GPS logger. Until then, if you have this unit, keep moving.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2008 :  01:21:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually what you describe sounds like a SiRFstarIII GPSr with Static Navigation "off" (see the full article I linkded earlier for details), I wonder if you don't have a v1 that had SN off and sensitivity issues.

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2008 :  01:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I tell? Inside the battery cover is a tag with a p/n and a s/n. Is there a list that would identify the version?
Go to Top of Page

knel

Argentina
7 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2008 :  01:35:14  Show Profile  Visit knel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@GPSPASSION How can I tell if I have a v1 or v2? Mine has a serial number sticker inside the battery compartment. Can you tell which version is with that serial number?

--
AMOD AGL3080 GPS

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2008 :  11:02:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry I can't, like I wrote my test units don't have SN numbers, you'll have to ask AMOD or go with the observations made for each version, i.e. poor sensitiviy for v1 and SN for v2.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  01:49:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATE ON SN : Looks like the new firmware I was told about is available here : http://www.amod.com.tw/Support/support.htm - it's called "Firmware upgrade for AMOD GPS Photo Tracker for SN off"

Downloaded and installed without a hitch !

The release notes also mention a new "SETUP MODE" with 6 logging modes with update rates of 1/5/10 seconds. One thing they don't say is that once you have set the mode you want you have to press the power button for 5+ seconds to get back to register the setting and turn off the device.

In Mode 6 (RMC 10 seconds) you can log for a hefty 2880 hours or 120 days !

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  03:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downloaded and will install it soon. While there, I also noticed another new file "AGL3080_V2.0_Original.zip" Should it also be installed first, it being V2.0 while the "AGL3080_V2.0S_SNOff.zip" is V2.0S? OR is it a way to reverse the change?

Edit. After reading the Release notes, the two files are complimentary, for either SN on or Off.

Edit 2
Also had a smooth upgrade. Now it is sitting on my windowsill for an other overnight static test.

Edited by - trs2004 on 12 mars 2008 03:37:44
Go to Top of Page

tlowing

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  13:57:29  Show Profile  Visit tlowing's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wrote a little script to automate the NMEA to KML process in gpsbabel, details here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108370
Go to Top of Page

knel

Argentina
7 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  15:08:53  Show Profile  Visit knel's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great! I just downloaded the new firmware, but I don't know what "GGA/GSA/RMC/VTG" means, can anybody help me so I can setup the device?

With this update AMOD AGL3080 has become in a much better GPS device, the option to choose the update interval was a must-have for this device. Logging while walking used to retrieve jumping coordinates, I think now it will me more accurate. NOW I'm so happy with my purchase. Thanks AMOD and GPSPASSION!

--
AMOD AGL3080 GPS

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  16:50:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hehe, that was just a suggestion I made and they followed up on it ;-)

GGA/GSA/RMC and VTG are all NMEA messages, you can read about that here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5214 - to summarize it's the data sent by a GPS receiver to the receiver, the fewer the messages the more you can store, RMC is generally enough for picture geocoding, with www.Locr.com for instance, but it you want full navigation information you will need the GGA/GSA/RMC/VTG combo.

Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  22:38:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was skeptical when I heard about incoming update of firmware. I own many devices for which vendors promised upgrades and fixes and rarely they keep their word. That is why I am very happy to announce that new firmware 2.0s for AGL3080 is fixing OTG issue. In other words I am able to copy files directly from GPS to harddrive without use of the computer (please read my previous posts for details). Great work AMOD, thanks Gpspassion for help.

D.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2008 :  22:42:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah it keeps getting better, thanks for sharing the good OTB news, I really need to get a hold of a miniUSB to female USB cable now !

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2008 :  23:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just how accurate should a GPS track be?

After applying the patch for SNoff, I tried the windowsill test again. The result were a bit better than before, with most of the wandering inside a 12m radius. How does this compare with other models?

Next I went for a walk. Once I got a fix, I put the unit in an outside pocket of my coat where it stayed for the whole trip.

Anomalies
1. The GPS track starts about 144m NE from where I was standing while waiting for a fix. This might be a spurious data point during startup
2. The GPS track shows me back-tracking about 70m
3. The GPS track shows me taking a 160m detour to the far end of a parking lot but doesn't show that I crossed the street at the corner.
4. The GPS track shows me crossing the street and then returning after 12m.
5. The GPS track shows me on the wrong side of the street for 90m. This is open sky without any buildings nearby.
6. The GPS track again shows me crossing the street and returning

This walk was done with the unit in mode 3. I'll have to try it again in mode 1 to see if more frequent sampling will improve or degrade the track.

For general location and just to help remind me where I went, it might be acceptable but if I really need to know my actual path on a trip, I think I might have to look elsewhere. Too bad since it had so much going for it, driverless, easy to use.

Am I expecting too much from this class of GPS logger? Will I be just as disappointed by other models?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2008 :  00:13:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No this is quite typical for a GPS unit, indoor accuracy and at low speed is a known problem, I'm pretty sure I've already given these link in the topic but here they are again -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=6 and http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=143&page=5 and there are many others in the in depth articles on the portal.

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2008 :  01:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for those links. Now I know a bit more about what would be considered normal for a GPS. I especially like the part where
quote:
GPS system's natural "inaccuracy" of approximately 10 meters. While this inaccuracy is easy enough to "rub out" with a properly tuned firmware inside the receiver in driving conditions (60 kph is 17 meters/second) that you can predict to some extent, it's much more difficult if you're walking at 5 kph or 1.4 m/s, well below the accuracy of GPS each second. It's unlikely that much can ever be done to fix this latter aspect ...

Since I was testing in mode 3, @5 sec I was still under the 10m threshold. I'll have to try it in mode 5 @10sec instead which should put me over that point, around 14m
Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2008 :  23:53:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After resetting to mode 5, I went to walk the same path with the unit again in an outer pocket of my jacket. Here is the result.

1. There still seems to be a problem at this corner.
2. The sideways jog appears where I went under a train bridge. All of the steel seems to have confused the unit.

As for the rest of the track, the AMOD AGL 3080 did a very good job of tracing my path, accurately showing where I crossed the street. After reading the links provided by gpspassion, I have a better understanding what the built-in limitations of GPS units are. Today's results have renewed my faith in this unit.

As a final test, I will have to retrace the route in mode 1 to see how much of a difference SNoff makes compared to the original configuration.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2008 :  14:42:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing your tracks, yes the problems you're seeing seem pretty "standard" to me, they are in areas where multipath (bounced signals) could kick in and at low speeds GPS algorithms can't cancel them out easily. The ways to improve that would be using a large choke-ring antenna mounted on a pole ;-) Just one thing, in the extract you quoted above I'm referring to the general update rate, the logging update rate doesn't come into play, the unit just records what the GPS module outputs, there is no tweaking done at that level.

On another matter I just got rechargeabl 1000mAh NiMH AAA batteries to operate the 3080, I'll see what kind of battery life I am getting.

Go to Top of Page

trs2004

20 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2008 :  19:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is my latest test track. The same route as before but this time using mode 1 from the SNoff patch.

1. A wild spike when the unit found itself after a cold start.
2. Wandering for a bit on the wrong side of the street.
3. Still a few problems at this corner but then continues correctly, even under the train bridge.
4 and 5. Wrong side of the street
6. The corner is almost correct but then continues on the wrong side of the street.

Of the three modes I tried in a pedestrian setting, I found that mode 5 @10 sec gave the best results. In my case, more is definitely not better. Since I don't plan on taking many pictures from a moving platform, the longer time between data points will not be an issue. I will most likely be standing still for at least 10 seconds while composing my next picture.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2008 :  16:25:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was happy to see the utility for the logger was available but I can't get their site to come up .

After two days of trying I'm going to ask if anyone can make it available for a download somehow ?

Thanks.

Edited by - TonyW. on 28 mars 2008 23:20:54
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2008 :  00:06:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What utility ? In any case you should send them an email, they have the rights to that software and its distribution.

Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2008 :  12:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was talking about the firmware update utility.

I finally got it this morning.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

collinm

40 Posts

Posted - 01 avr. 2008 :  09:50:19  Show Profile  Visit collinm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
somebody can test if the new firmware improve the precision?
Go to Top of Page

wavshrdr

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 16 avr. 2008 :  19:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a new AMOD from Semsons. It came pre-loaded with the new firmware. So far my testing of it looks pretty good. Acquisition times are very good as well. The new modes are really useful. I'll be trying them all out. I only wish this thing was usable via a USB cable to use as a GPS for on of my laptops as well.
Go to Top of Page

TonyW.

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2008 :  18:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would certainly be another nice feature.I'm wondering if that could be done through software ?
Go to Top of Page

wavshrdr

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2008 :  03:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did some extensive testing today while riding my Xootr push scooter. I went on about a 5+ km trek around an urban area. I don't know how to post a track on here so show you the results but I am quite satisfied with them. My average was about 13km/h and max speed about 29km/h. The AMOD did an excellent job with my track.

Considering that the accuracy can be degraded at any time, my track was never off by more than about 1.5 meters. 95% of the time though it had me EXACTLY where I went with my scooter. I was staying to the bike paths for a lot of my route and they were denoted by white lines 1 meter apart. It showed me consistently always between them. I had it suspended from the collar on my jacket and it had no issues picking up a signal even while bouncing around as I kicked the scooter.

This thing is definitely a keeper for me. Add a little LCD, BT and make it usable via a USB cable as well and it would be tough to beat. I love the fact it takes normal AAA batteries and has given me about 13 hours or so real usage on Sanyo Eneloop batteries. These batteries are awesome as they don't self-discharge near as quickly as normal NiMH batteries do. So even if I don't use them for a month, they still have a good charge on them while my other ones will be most likely flat.
Go to Top of Page

wavshrdr

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2008 :  05:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know of an easy way to get the AMOD in sync with a camera? Is there a way to access the internal clock of the GPS on the AMOD so I can make sure the times are in sync for both devices? I tried exporting a log while marking a waypoint and it always seems I am off from a few seconds to a lot more than that. Any advice?
Go to Top of Page

collinm

40 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2008 :  09:15:11  Show Profile  Visit collinm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
surely amod sync it's with with satellite...

sync your camera with atomic clock... check website who use ntp
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2008 :  11:36:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That and you can adjust the time in WYSIWYG way after the fact with the www.Locr.com PC software

Go to Top of Page

collinm

40 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2008 :  19:37:52  Show Profile  Visit collinm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i received this gps today (amod)

after 20 minutes... no signal.... i tried a reset... same thing

in 2 hours i was only able to get maybe 2 minutes of log...

it's rainy... i tried in town... and far of the town... same thing....

is there a way to check the signal i get?
Go to Top of Page

rlpatton

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2008 :  16:51:06  Show Profile  Visit rlpatton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
PrzemekW: Thanks for the info on OTB. How does one go about performing OTB?

Thanks,
Ron
Go to Top of Page

rlpatton

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 12 mai 2008 :  19:59:33  Show Profile  Visit rlpatton's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,
What does it mean when all three LED indicators flash simultaneously? It happens quite often when the unit is powered on.
Go to Top of Page

PrzemekW

Poland
21 Posts

Posted - 12 mai 2008 :  22:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rlpatton

PrzemekW: Thanks for the info on OTB. How does one go about performing OTB?

Sorry for the delay. You need a device that support OTG, eg.: external hard drive case. See my previous posts for details. Once you have the device it quite obvious how to copy files from GPS to external storage.

D.
Go to Top of Page

mirek

Czech Republic
8 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2008 :  02:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is also possible to use an OTG bridge for transferring data to devices without OTG feature, eg. USB flash disks. I use this one: http://tinyurl.com/4xnk7z

Edited by - mirek on 14 mai 2008 18:00:37
Go to Top of Page

collinm

40 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2008 :  09:12:57  Show Profile  Visit collinm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
here, some data took with amod gps

$ADVER,3080,2.0
$GPRMC,074258.113,A,3214.7183,N,00757.4636,W,0.40,47.89,030508,,,A*40
$GPRMC,074259.113,A,3214.7182,N,00757.4636,W,0.40,60.86,030508,,,A*4A
$GPRMC,074300.113,A,3214.7181,N,00757.4636,W,0.33,64.76,030508,,,A*4B
$GPRMC,074301.000,A,3214.7180,N,00757.4636,W,0.31,68.87,030508,,,A*48

with http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
i try to convert it to gpx file

i choose

gps data: waypoints[W] (maybe it's better to choose track or route?)

input: NMEA 0183 sentences [W][T] (it's the default file generated by the amod?)

output: GPX XML [W][T][R]

for the altitude, i alway get 0

does i use the software correctely?

Edited by - collinm on 14 mai 2008 09:16:58
Go to Top of Page

mirek

Czech Republic
8 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2008 :  17:57:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by collinm

for the altitude, i alway get 0

Your output data sample shows you selected the Mode 2 format in setup (only RMC->1sec). This mode does not record the altitude. If you want to obtain altitude data, switch the AMOD setting to Mode 1 (or 3 and 5, resp.).
Go to Top of Page

collinm

40 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2008 :  23:14:36  Show Profile  Visit collinm's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i tried the amod photo tracker on vista

http://imagebin.ca/view/stpNPRDE.html

i don't see the map....

somebody get the same problem?

i use the latest release of amod gps photo tracker...

i tried another software... and that work

Edited by - collinm on 18 mai 2008 17:34:05
Go to Top of Page

mirek

Czech Republic
8 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2008 :  19:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by collinm

i don't see the map....

I have the same picture in the AMOD GPS Photo Tracker (v. 1.3.5, 1.3.7). If you try to maximally zoom out map view, you can see the world map is located in the "south".

The program apparently does not work well. My imported GPS logs also show still the same start and end times 0001/01/01 02:00:00...
It seems to me, the program worked well in the beginning (maybe it was changed after the SP1 update installation).
Fortunately, there are some good alternative programs available. I use Route Converter, locr, GeoSetter and DGManager.
Go to Top of Page

tholin

3 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2008 :  19:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a 3080 yesterday and today I took it for a walk. I uploaded the log here if anyone is interested:
http://www.cyd.liu.se/~tholi945/GPS_20080529_133522.log

The conclusions I can draw is, if you have less than 6 satellites in view the path will be wobbly and it takes a while (25 min this time) to get more than 6 satellites. Once you do get more satellites the path is dead on. Static navigation was off.

I also came to the conclusion that walking 8 km makes my legs hurt.
Go to Top of Page

magrolino

4 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2008 :  19:29:43  Show Profile  Visit magrolino's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would be interested how well the device works now with the upgraded firmware: how long do the batteries last with set to 5 secs interval or even 10 secs? As I work on mac it is one of the few devices I can go for; I thought about waiting for the "new" apt photofinder which should come out soon (as I read) but I read a lot good feedback about the AGL3080.

thanks for your feedback in advance!

michael
Go to Top of Page

gpspromeneur

6 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2008 :  10:42:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. i have just got an amod agl3080 from semson via amazon usa.
Very fast shipping :
- purchase date 30 may 2008
- in my letterbox(France) 4 june 2008
- total cost 66 E

2. 2 problems
2.1. unable to upgrade to 2.0s with Linux

i thank in adavance anyone who sends this message to amod
to help Amod supporting Linux and others OS

i send this message to amod :
Oject : AGL3080 firmware upgrade for linux

i can't upgrade the firmware with linux. I have only linux

i suggest to you :
adopt the kodak method for its DSC which is a sole solution independent of OS

what is the kodak method ?
you copy new files to the disk area
then
you restart the DSC
then
DSC boot
then
DSC search for new files
then
DSC upgrades

This solution is independant of the today OS but also of the past and future OS

Thank you in advance

2.2. knowing if your firmware is 2.0 or 2.0s

Amod says :
3. This "V2.0" vesion is default for AGL3080 device.

The default value of this device is with Static Navigation(SN) "ON".

The other version "V2.0S" is with Static Navigation(SN) "OFF".

=> How to identify from two different versions?

If it's default version (V2.0), Storage LED will flash "twice" after all three LEDs are

on and then off. The GPS LED will start blinking when the device starts tracking successfully.

If it's "SN OFF" version (V2.0S), Storage LED will flash "three times" after all three LEDs are

on and then off. he GPS LED will start flashing when the device starts tracking successfully.

i can't count if there is 2 or 3 flashes

it would be a good thing if in the data log the system writes the exact version number

Edited by - gpspromeneur on 07 juin 2008 11:08:05
Go to Top of Page

sbrixey

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2008 :  18:51:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not using their software, I'm using HoudahGPS to convert the logs to KML files. And I'm testing HoudahGEO for geotagging. But I checked the log code and it hasn't any GPWPL string in it, which are the waypoints strings.

I am sorry to reply to this question so late but I just recently purchased an AGL-3080 and was having the same problem myself.

It looks like the AGL-3080 is using a non-standard NMEA string to mark a waypoint using the Mark button on the side of the unit.

Here is a couple of log entries from mine:

$GPGSA,A,3,14,03,21,31,,,,,,,,,9.0,5.9,6.8*3E
$GPGSV,3,1,10,14,84,273,24,03,26,239,16,21,19,137,18,31,13,176,22*7C
$GPGSV,3,2,10,22,61,034,22,19,33,275,25,18,29,074,21,06,26,224,*72
$GPGSV,3,3,10,09,19,048,17,32,17,282,*7C
$ADPMB,5,0 <--- Here is the button press!
$GPRMC,162202.511,A,3510.3071,N,11358.6823,W,0.90,24.52,070608,,,A*4E
$GPVTG,24.52,T,,M,0.90,N,1.7,K,A*33
$GPGGA,162207.000,3510.3081,N,11358.6812,W,1,03,2.4,1212.9,M,-25.2,M,,0000*54

Now I don't have any idea what DPMB,5,0 is supposed to stand for but it isn't a standard waypoint marker and so none of the log conversion software that I know of is looking for it.

I have contacted the author of GPSbabel and he said he would include a fix to convert this to a normal waypoint in the next version. I will contact the author of HoudahGPS and let him know as well so he can fix it too.

If you write software to read/convert gps logs you might want to be aware of this quirk on the AGL-3080.

I hope this info is helpful to someone!

-Shawn

---

-Shawn
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 juin 2008 :  03:07:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting thanks, where is the actual position shown, immediately after the DPMB ?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05