Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2166

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 [TOPIC] AMOD AGL 3080 Photo Tracker - v2.5 update
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2007 :  03:31:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOPIC - AMOD AGL 3080 Data Logger
Driverless - 128Mb Memory - 3AAA - Full NMEA - Push to Log - One Touch Backup

Product page at Semsons : >> link <<
V2.0S firmware update : >> link <<
NMEA to Google Earth Tool : >> link <<

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080312 : AMOD have just made available a new v2.0s firmware with SN (Static Navigation) disabled (see below for explanation on SN). They have also added 6 new logging modes with variations in the update rate and NMEA messages being broadcast. With RMC messages recorded every 10 seconds, the logging life is now up to 120 days. In case that's not enough for you or if you want to backup your data, it is also OTB (One Touch Backup) compatible now (thanks to PrzemekW for checking). More details and links on page 8.

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080222 : After noting some strange logging patterns in pedestrian use, I did get confirmation that Static Navigation is indeed enabled on the v2 models of the 3080 and this cannot be changed. I mentioned that having SN activated for a data logger was not a very good idea as it is likely going to be used on foot quite a bit and they agreed. They are planning to come up with a v3 with SN disabled by default and with the option for the end-user to activate it.

Compared to other GPS Data loggers

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20080122: I needed the 3800 for some comparison testing the other day and couldn't remember which one was which, so I take them both on the road and compared the results but first letting them acquire a fix next to my reradiating antenna. The results are quite interesting, the signal level is very different, about a 12dB-Hz difference, which is huge, but the actual tracks are quite comparable on average, except in more difficult conditions, sharp turns for instance, not that surprising really since the SiRFstarIII can work with very low signals, as happens behind coated windshields. The problems are long TTFF and worse accuracy of course.

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20071219: Just received a new test unit and I'm happy to report that whatever problem was causing the lack of sensitivity on my previous test unit has been fixed! I can't see any serial number on the unit so I'm not sure how to determine when it was fixed but it's safe to assume that units shipping currently are OK.

I had it stored deep inside my backpack on a train ride and walk around a Paris and it didn't miss a beat.

With this problem fixed the GL3080 goes back to the top of the list of existing dataloggers thanks to it's driverless implementation and also the fact that it records a full NMEA log that you can convert into whatever format suits your needs.

UPDATED BY GPSPASSION 20071031 : An update on the problems noted below, after analyzing some logs I found that the SiRFstarIII chip was being fed very low signal from the GPS satellites, hence the long TTFF (28dB-Hz is needed to download the ephemeris data and get a warm fix) and poor accuracy (due to low/noisy signal). I'm told AMOD have figured out what the problem is and are working on an updated version.

POSTED BY GPSPSASSION 20071012 : While it's very convenient to be able to download the raw NMEA track by just connecting the 3080 to a PC via USB, I'm rather disappointed by the 3080 in terms of GPS performance, it never got a fix inside Paris although I walked around for a good hour and then I saw a lot of "jumping" during a side by side comparison with the HTC Kaiser PDAPhone walking in the streets of Bry/Marne as seen above (HTC Kaiser PDAPhone in red, 3080 in green). It was clipped to the front of my backpack with a good view of the sky.

Pedestrian tracks are always a bit "wobbly", but I've seen much better from SiRFFstarIII receivers.

POSTED 20071010 BY davidw4806 : I received the unit on time yesterday. The shipping package was great and everything was in the box. The AMOD unit comes in a nice box and includes the GPS Unit, a strap that attaches to the unit and includes a swivel clip and a CD ROM. The strap is ok but the clip is plastic and I am not sure how long it will last. The unit itself is well made and the battery door is solid plastic with a good connection, it does not feel like it will fall apart.

The GPS unit is easy to use, two buttons and 3 lights. 1 button is the power button and the other is a mark button.

I put three batteries in the unit and took it outside and powered it up. It took about 2.5 minutes to get its lock but it was the first time it was on since I took it out of the box. Will have to see how long the lock takes on the weekend after it has been sitting in the same location for a few days.

After the initial lock the system showed a blinking light which means it has a good signal. I began a walk around the block. While I was walking the unit was in my hand swinging back and forth. After 3/4's of the walk I held the unit steady in my hand with no movement back and forth.

When I returned home I plugged the unit into my MacBook Pro and it showed up immediately as a drive. There is a folder on the drive that holds all the logs. I took the NEMA log and used GPS Visualizer to convert the log to a GPX file and a KMZ file. Both were created with no errors. The files worked with Jet Photo and Google Earth.

My only issue was the unit had me bouncing all over the place as plotted by the log. I finally figured out that the strange plots were only in the area where I was swinging the unit in my hand while walking. Will have to see if it does this when clipped to my camera strap which is the method I hope to use going forward.

Software:

The CD Rom comes with a copy of Jet Photo for both MAC and PC. Everything is easy to use and I had no issues at all except for the plot bouncing that I probably created myself.

Will give it more tests over the weekend when I have time.

ORIGINAL POSTI ordered the AMOD AGL3080 GPS Data Logger today. Has anyone had a chance to use one for photos yet?

I was looking for a small data logger without a proprietary battery and could go as quickly as 1 second for each log entry. The manual shows the software only reading Lon and Lat. I do not need altitude but I also am not sure what it tracks for those who want a 3D reading of their travels. It is SIRFIII LP driven and is supposed to have a life of 15 hours with three charged batteries. It uses 3 AAA batteries but does not charge any within the unit itself. Universal USB interface requires no driver for Windows or Mac and the log is stored in standard NEMA format.

It appears to be exactly what I am looking for and I hope it stores the entries in one log rather than every 95 like the DG-100 from Globalsat.

I will be sure to write about my experiences when it arrives next week.

Edited by - davidw4806 on 10 oct. 2007 23:38:36

Ads

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2007 :  03:37:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums. I added a picture and link with more information. Looks like an interesting device, particularly the fact that it is recognized as an external drive with no driver needed.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2007 :  16:55:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very looking forward to your thoughts and experiences with this device. I'm looking to get a GPS logger soon before I do some travelling in December. This looks like the perfect device for me (mainly geotagging photos). I want something with a SirfStar III chipset, since I'll be mostly on foot and one with driverless USB, so that I can just dump the data log onto a USB-on-the-go harddrive.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2007 :  10:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone try this device? Basically it seems to have the same features as the Wintec 201, but just with AAA batteries and a slightly larger memory. Oh and it uses sirf III instead of the antaris chipset.

The 15 hours listed as a reference is with 900MaH batteries. I wonder how long it runs on the 1500MaH AAA batteries I have.
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  00:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks david for the initial review. Could you possibly attach a log of some of your walks, runs, rides etc?
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  05:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your update :).
Just wondering whether the logging interval can be configured or not. I didn't see anything about that in the manual posted online. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  08:03:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, been wondering about that too, but since it records a raw nmea log it must be the standard 1Hz update rate, will check today on the test unit I just received.
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  08:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, looking forward to your review, gpspassion :).
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 11 oct. 2007 :  11:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep looking forward to some first hand testing from you. As you have tested the Wintec WBT-201 - could you compare the use of the track/log button on both of these?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  16:22:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm rather disappointed by the 3080, it never got a fix inside Paris although I walked around for a good hour and then I saw a lot of "jumping" during a side by side comparison with the HTC Kaiser PDAPhone walking in the streets of Bry/Marne as seen below (HTC Kaiser PDAPhone in red, 3080 in green). It was clipped to the front of my backpack with a good view of the sky.

Pedestrian tracks are always a bit "wobbly", but I've seen much better from SiRFFstarIII receivers.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

caero

Denmark
38 Posts

Posted - 12 oct. 2007 :  16:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
eeek, that looks really bad. I had my eyes on this one as it seemed a good alternative to the Wintec WBT-201, but all that wobblyness and poor reception is no good. I guess I'll watch and see what the Qstarz BT-Q1200 brings before triggering the buy of my next datalogger.

Thanks for the quick test of the device!

Edited by - caero on 12 oct. 2007 16:44:51
Go to Top of Page

mcyj

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 14 oct. 2007 :  07:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the test. Yes, disappointing performance. Was really about to order this one. Now I have to re-think it.
Have you had a look if the Amod is configurable in any way? Like logging interval, etc? I guess not since it just records a raw NMEA log.
Also, any chance for a driverless logger shootout? :).
Thanks again :)

Does the Royaltek RGM-3800 have better GPS performance than this? These are my top 2 choices at the moment. The Royaltek doesn't act as a USB drive, but if I log at 5sec intervals and long&lat only, it should be able to store ~37 days worth of logs. I doubt I'll spend that long travelling without access to a computer, so it should be OK for my needs. Its disappointing battery life isn't too big a deal if I carry spare batteries.
Go to Top of Page

designwallah

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 15 oct. 2007 :  22:08:34  Show Profile  Visit designwallah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a newbie at this stuff, so thanks for the review. If other people that posted comments are disappointed about the AMOD, why would they hesitate about getting the Wintec WBT-200?

Thanks,

Francis.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 31 oct. 2007 :  20:28:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An update on the problems noted in my mini-review above, after analyzing some logs I found that the SiRFstarIII chip was being fed very low signal from the GPS satellites, hence the long TTFF (28dB-Hz is needed to download the ephemeris data and get a warm fix) and poor accuracy (due to low/noisy signal). I'm told AMOD have figured out what the problem is and are working on an updated version.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 19 déc. 2007 :  12:31:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just received a new test unit and I'm happy to report that whatever problem was causing the lack of sensitivity on my previous test unit has been fixed! I can't see any serial number on the unit so I'm not sure how to determine when it was fixed but it's safe to assume that units shipping currently are OK.

I had it stored deep inside my backpack on a train ride and walk around a Paris and it didn't miss a beat.

With this problem fixed the GL3080 goes back to the top of the list of existing dataloggers thanks to it's driverless implementation and also the fact that it records a full NMEA log that you can convert into whatever format suits your needs.

Go to Top of Page

denti13

France
137 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2007 :  13:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,
Is it possible to have a nmea log sample ?
Thanks,
Christophe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,94 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05