Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2791

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 [TOPIC] Globalsat BT 335 - Bluetooth Data logger
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2007 :  14:16:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The BT-335 fits in the hand
Product page on the Globalsat site : >> link <<
Available at Semsons for $80

Globalsat have recentely released the BT-335, a bluetooth data logger that bears more than a passing ressemblance to the famous BT-338, the first SiRFstarIII Bluetooth GPS receiver released in early 2005 and that changed the way we use GPS systems. Here is a side by side picture:

Nearly 3 years between these two receivers

Three years later, Globalsat have designed a device that does more and does it longer. The new feature is the datalogger of course with a memory rated at a sizeable 60,000 data points (goes down to about 40,000 if you log altitude data too) like the Globalsat DG-100. Compared to the DG-100 you lose the three position switch to vary the logging mode on the fly and the push to fix button. The logging capabilities and sofware are details in this article on the portal. Data transfers are slower too since they occur over Bluetooth instead of USB, still they went through and I didn't experience any disconnects.

More unexpected, the battery life comes in at a very impressive 36 hours in continuous use, both thanks to the 1800mAh lithium battery and to the improved power requirements of the SiRFstarIII chipset (Globalsat used the SiRFStarIII/LP version). The original BT-338 had a battery life that was half of that at 17 hours and without any logging features. GPS sensitivity is excellent with quick TTFF (Time to fix), a weaker point of the DG-100, and accurate tracking.

Final words - With the excellent battery life now on par with the MTK based receivers, albeit with a bigger battery, and the faster TTFF on average than MTK and still a slight edge in terms of pedestrian use, the BT-335 is a datalogger to reckon with.

Questions, comments ?

Compared to the BT-338 and to the Qstarz Q1000

Original Post by Opher : Did anyone had a chance to use the new BT 335? How is it? Is it better than the BT-338?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2007 :  15:41:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure how/why it would be better? It's the one with the datalogger right?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

opher

49 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2007 :  18:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is.
Go to Top of Page

unclesem

3 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2007 :  09:22:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have it for 3 weeks. Compare to my bt338 it's much better as a gps, especially in difficult conditions. As datalogger it's ok, but PC software is not very good. I miss the button to record current position

Edited by - unclesem on 30 sept. 2007 09:23:00
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2007 :  12:12:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Much better than the BT338 ! Really ? The 338 is pretty much the best receiver I've used, did you do side by side comparisons ?

It seems the pc software is the same as on the 615 watch, maybe the third party tools wil work ?

Are there any butons to control the logger on the device ?
Go to Top of Page

unclesem

3 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2007 :  12:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried the BT338 and BT335 in the same condition. Acquisitions of the signal in semi closed places is much better. Also I find much faster reacquisition of the signal after the tunnel . But it might be just some firmware improvements. My Bt338 is FW 3.1.1 and BT335 3.2.2

I don't really care about PC software. I could configure device and get points out of it. After that I can convert them with gpsbabel and use any software.

About the buttons ;) Device have same "set of buttons" like bt338 :) On/oFF :)
Go to Top of Page

opher

49 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2007 :  00:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[SNIP]
I think it's the firmware that makes the difference. I am told by USGlobalSat that bt335 and bt338 should work pretty much the same (if you put aside the datalogger issue) - and the newest firmware is 3.2.4 . So I guess this is the reason for your field test differences.

Opher
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2007 :  00:08:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No it wouldn't the firmware I've compared a BT338 with 3.1.1 and one with v3.2.4 and there is no difference in terms of TTFF or general performance, multipath performance is somewhat improved but you really have to take a close look at the logs for that. I think unclesem's original BT-338 isn't performing the way it should.

Go to Top of Page

unclesem

3 Posts

Posted - 04 oct. 2007 :  08:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't exclude this possibility , would be nice to hear someone else opinion. I don't know what can be wrong with my BT338. I compared it with one from my college a year ago and they behave identically. Anyway:) I sold bt338 last week and switch completely to bt335. I love it ;) May be as I bluetooth mouse it miss autooff function but some will find it handy for in car use
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2007 :  17:58:51  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Having had a chance to enjoy the BT-335 for a few weeks now, I have added pictures and comments to the first message, an excellent all-round device and here is a picture of the BT-335 next to the BT-338

Go to Top of Page

therock

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2008 :  04:08:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I do lots of slow walking during wildlife photography. Tried the AMOD 3080 but it scribbles really bad at slow speeds or when standing still.
I'm going to try the GlobalSat BT-335.
It has speed and distance filter settings that may help me get smoother track log lines when displayed on a map.
Speed Filter: Disables data if it falls below a set threshold value.
Distance Filter: Disables data it has not moved greater than the selected radius.
Saving Intervals: User defined, time or distance.

Basically I hunt with a camera, moving slow and stopping for periods of seconds or minutes at a time.

How would you setup for this. The average male walks 3.5 mph on flat surfaces. I'll be carrying two DSLR cameras with long lenses and various other gear so I figure .5 mph or so with resting pauses.

How good can I get it?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2008 :  19:21:44  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well there are two aspects, the GPS software (firmware) and the logging software, the problem on the AMOD is the firmware as it has Static Navigation (SN) enabled.

Since logging memory likely won't be a problem with the 40,000 points (65,000 with the alitude), you might as well record all the data to make sure you're not missing any important data points.

Go to Top of Page

therock

USA
383 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2008 :  19:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. One way or the other I'll be experimenting.

So.... what is the default SN setting for the BT-335? And is it switchable?
Go to Top of Page

starflightgps

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 28 févr. 2008 :  05:31:49  Show Profile  Visit starflightgps's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thought I'd try here since I wasn't having any luck on a different section of the forum.. Perhaps wrong post I guess... But here goes.

hi guys,

I just received my BT-335 today and I was doing some testing. Works pretty good. I managed to pair up my gps to my laptop and I was using the GlobalSat Data Logger Utility to upload the data to my PC.

I was under the impression that each file should contain all of the points of each time the gps is turned on until it's off but in a 15 minute drive, I managed to generate 7 30K files. I had to export all of them and open all of them in Google Earth just to see of the points.

Is there a way to export all of the file into one bigger KML file? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks.

starflightgps
Dell Axim X5 400MHZ --> Dell Axim X30 312MHZ --> Dell Axim X51
GlobalSat BC-307 --> GlobalSat BT-318 --> GlobalSat BT-335
Go to Top of Page

frst

2 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2008 :  15:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
starflightgps, try GPSBabel. It works perfectly for me:
http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-development/fmt_dg-100.html

I bought four of these from Expansys. One of them does not work properly, it usually stops logging after 30 min of walking/jogging. Green light goes off, no blinking, no constant light, just like in data transfer mode. Expansys refuses to replace the bad unit, they just say I don't know how to use it - I wonder how I can use all the other bt335 units then :) And now they don't even aswer my email. It's pretty scary there is such companies out there.

Anyway, has anybody else had similar problems with BT335 and is there any workaround for this?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94640 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2008 :  00:53:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can't think of anything else but a hardware defect, they've got some nerve telling you're not using it properly since you're doing fine with the other three !

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05