Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Nuvi Proprietary Plug Pinouts
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2008 :  15:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the Garmin 010-10865-00 18-pin Data Cable have all 18 wires ?
If yes, then this would be the best way to get the audio signals.

DrT
Go to Top of Page

dlipter

69 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2008 :  22:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The circuit board itself has three lands for audio out. Just scrape off any coatings to bare copper and solder some twisted wire to either a new jack installed on the mount or route the wires out of the mount and install an inline stereo plug. Presto! a hard wired audio feed!

Does anyone know if the Nuvi 650 mount has audio available in a similar fashion? It only has 10 contacts to the GPS vs 25 for the 700 series.

Edited by - dlipter on 20 sept. 2008 22:52:56
Go to Top of Page

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2008 :  22:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exact, I just need to figure out how to mute the internal speaker without having to plug in a 3.5mm jack in the ear phone plug on the side of the nuvi. Anyone got an idea ?

DrT
Go to Top of Page

dlipter

69 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2008 :  22:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do you need to mute the speaker?
Go to Top of Page

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2008 :  00:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not want sound from the Garmin loudspeaker at the same time with the speakers in my car. I doesn't sound perfect when listening to good music.

DrT
Go to Top of Page

dlipter

69 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2008 :  04:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you willing to give up the internal Nuvi speaker for good?

If so.......It might be feasible.

Another thought.....If you used the Nuvi speaker out to feed the pre-in of a stereo, the the volume out of the Nuvi could be set to a low level, resulting in a relatively low volume on the Nuvi compared to the volume of your stereo. In effect you would not "hear" the nuvi speaker at all due to the large difference in volume between the two outputs.

Edited by - dlipter on 21 sept. 2008 05:12:04
Go to Top of Page

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2008 :  20:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your reply.

I am not willing to give up the Nuvi internal speaker as i will use it in other situations where i do not have the cars speakers.

I will find out how to mute the internal speaker, just have not had the time yet.

DrT
Go to Top of Page

Don

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 23 sept. 2008 :  01:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am interested in this modification, and would be willing to put a small plug into the jack to keep the sound from coming out of the Nuvi's speaker. This, in essence, would be the internal speaker’s on/off switch. Are you sure that the sound carries through to the base connector regardless of whether there is something plugged into the speaker jack?

Who wants to do this mod and post some pictures first? I am good with a soldering iron, so that doesn't concern me. What I am concerned with is the warranty since my 760 is new. Maybe I'll make the mod after my Nuvi is over a year old, and out of warranty. And maybe in a year, Garman will have a true docking Station.

660>760>1490T
Currently own a 2460LMT
Go to Top of Page

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 23 sept. 2008 :  09:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I will post some images of the mod soon.

I dont think you should worry about the warrenty as it is not in the Garmin Nuvi itself you do the mod.
Personally I would not send the "cradle" along if i was to send my Nüvi to repair.

As to your question.
I am not 100% sure that the sound carries through to the base connector regardless of whether there is something plugged into the speaker jack or not.
I have not tried to plug the speaker jack yet, but have measured the resistance between the audio pins mentioned and the jack pins to approx zero ohm.
Give me a week or so and I will show you the solution for this.
Not that it will take a week, but I wont have the time before the weekend ;-)

DrT
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2008 :  13:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanQ

It would be great if Garmin just added the pins for analog audio OUT, and external GPS antenna IN to the docking connector. It would allow for much easier integration to the car. As it is, if you don't want to keep connecting and disconnecting the audio to the headphone jack you would need to connect the tx and rx data to a "USB to headphone" adapter. You could hard wire the usb side (data) to the dock connector and the headphone side (analog audio) to your "Aux input" of the car. The electronics to do the digital to analog conversion are in the adapter. Do a search on ebay for USB headphone adapter.. http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-5-1CH-3D-Audio-Sound-Card-Adapter-Headphones-MI-us_W0QQitemZ160266399749QQihZ006QQcategoryZ74941QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why can't garmin build a black box that has this built-in along with the power converter?

Black box would have: +12V IN , GND IN, Audio OUT (to your car stereo Aux in), External GPS antenna IN, docking connector and cable. -patent pending

It would be nice to snap in the GPS and go rather than fooling around with all of these cables /connectors.

Someone want to start a business?

Another product would be an external amplifier that took all of the speaker level inputs from the car stereo and output the signals AFTER the voice guidance was added on. Pioneer has the NDG500 that does this, but doesn't have serial data in. It looks like analog audio in.

Looks like I'll have to get a converter and the ND-G500 and do it myself.

Start what kind of business?

Your USB-audio adapter won't work. First, the Nuvi USB port is client mode. The USB-audio adapter requires a host mode as it is client mode itself. Second, you need driver to control the USB-audio adapter, it is not "all inside converting digital to analog" as you put it. It is not a stand alone unit. Third, who said that Garmin streams the digital audio to the USB port? Forth, you can't just connect the + / - of the USB port, you also need to power the USB-audio adapter, with a 5V DC source.

Putting an external antenna socket on the docking port cannot reuse the same connector as they are all flat contact surface and is not designed for RF signals. You need to use a socket for RF and that's quite a bit more expensive, plus w/ a docking you have to make sure the alignment is very solid so it won't damage the connector (typically with a fine pin in the middle). It is a very expensive if doable requirement and wonder why this is necessary, adding much cost to the system.

As for the speaker integration, the VIB 10 or 11 models already did that, don't need to reinvent the wheel.

I hope your patent comment is only kidding, btw.

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

ve7mdt

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2008 :  13:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pics. I took mine open when I bought my 750 but didn't pictures (that was back in the spring) b/c I didn't know that people want to see it. I found a cellphone cable that fits it physically but I forgot what cable that was, need to match it up again to see. Could be a Siemens phone, not sure.

My interest is more in the serial data and less of the audio (although that is nice too). Will eventually wire them all out permanently if I can find a second cable to play with (that has all pins intact). The serial data is very useful for APRS use (Automatic Position Reporting System for amateur radio).

Wondering if the VIB series is cleared out somewhere cheap :-) .

iPad WiFi w/ RoqyBT to use BT GPSr, LG Optimus G2x, BenQ S6, Samsung Q1, Toshiba e830, Toshiba e805, HTC Advantage X7501, Nextar MN2707 running P7, Magellan Springboard GPS on Visor 2MB, Haicom HI-303III + BT slipper, Holux GPSlim236, eTrex yellow
TomTom 1.9 for iOS, Navigon 2.0 for iOS, Navigon for Android, Garmin Mobile XT, Delorme Street Atlas 2009, Streets & Trips 2010, MapPoint 2010, APRSIS/CE, APRSIS/32, APRSDroid
Go to Top of Page

dlipter

69 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2008 :  23:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the audio output on pins 14 & 15 of the Nuvi 700 series cradle connector is fixed or does the audio level track the volume control of the Nuvi?

This is important because if the audio is fixed on the connector, then you could set the Nuvi volume to zero and still have a good audio feed to either an external FM transmitter or stereo line in.

A fixed level would be sweet!

OK.....After studying the VP11 Reference Guide, the audio out from the cradle connector is indeed fixed!

P.S. I found out from Garmin tech that the 650 cradle connector which has only 10 contacts does not pass an audio feed.

Dennis

Edited by - dlipter on 25 sept. 2008 00:43:14
Go to Top of Page

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2008 :  06:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not think the audio level is fixed!
But I will check it and get back to you.

DrT
Go to Top of Page

dlipter

69 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2008 :  06:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The VIB uses the audio out and the reference guide specifically states that the gps audio volume is set independentally from the stereo volume.
Go to Top of Page

DoctorT

Denmark
30 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2008 :  07:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you are right and I am wrong, but I measured the resistance between the audio pins and the audio jack and it was approx zero ohm. This does not exactly point in the direction of the audio pins being fixed volume.

DrT

Edited by - DoctorT on 25 sept. 2008 07:53:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05