Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1952

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Nuvi Proprietary Plug Pinouts
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

hummyi

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2010 :  09:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DAVAUS

Good news on Nuvi 88x, 86x and 85x Video input:

Hooking up a 2.2K resistor from the Hirose connector pin 7 to ground does enable the backup camera functionality!

I tested my Nuvi 885 with the 2.2K resistor. There were no messages [error or otherwise] and a new ‘Backup Camera’ Icon is made available on the second page of the settings menu :-) The Icon gives access to selections on how the Nuvi switches to the backup camera, the video format, and reverse light polarity etc

I did not have time to solder more wires onto that tiny connector to confirm that the audio is automatically turned on [without a dummy plug] connected. [see vfrman’s post], but this operation is entirely consistent with how the Vehicle Integration Box (VIB) would need to work.

Next, I need to confirm what the cradle’s Hirose Pin 17 (ID1) and Hirose Pin 18 (ID2) are on the Nuvi 88x, 86x and 85x. Can anyone help with this?

arkadi: Although the 765T is compatible with the GDB50/GTM20/GTM21 receivers, I could find nothing in the Nuvi 765 manual to confirm backup camera [video] functionality. The Garmin VIB11 [discontinued] product page also has a note: “The nüvi 700 series and StreetPilot c550, though compatible, will not support the VIB 11's video capabilities”. This could be why you get an error message.

Best regards

David

For anyone interested:
- both my GTM20 and GDB50 present a 100K resistance between Hirose pin 7 and ground.
- There is a little more on Garmin Nuvi ‘ID’ resistors here: http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI

DAVAUS FOR PRESIDENT !!!!!!!

Edited by - hummyi on 25 mai 2010 09:54:58
Go to Top of Page

vfrman

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2010 :  21:16:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chaps,

I was looking to turn off the audio without resorting to 3.5mm plug or FM tx. The web site David found was where I got the pin7 ID info from and then I tried the 8.2k resistor but it didn't work.

So, if you switch to the diagnostic screen by pushing the speedometer image and go to the right page you get info about what plug is plugged into the 765. 8.2k said a serial device was plugged in so I just tried different values until the graphic said VIB and it worked! I didn't try many resistor values and only found 2 types of serial device and the VIB. I did try shorting to ground and the current was very small but this didn't shown an ID.

As far as I'm aware, the 765 dosen't have video in capability unless someone knows different?

Oops, sorry all, should have edited this post rather than multiple posts

Edited by - vfrman on 25 mai 2010 22:40:44
Go to Top of Page

vfrman

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2010 :  21:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... and as an update, I connected the 765 to my motorbike today and it works just fine. You have to isolate the audio into the intercom unit as per usual but importantly when the engine is switched on and running I couldn't hear any interference from the bike generator etc, result!

continued : ... almost forgot, my intercom input is mono and the 765 audio is stereo so I had to use a simple resistor network to mix the channels back together, 4.7k connected to each channel at one side and connected together at the other to give the mono signal.
Go to Top of Page

hummyi

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2010 :  23:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's working fine even on my nuvi860

So I confirm :
1) put a 2K2 resistor between pin 7 on Hirose connector and GND, a new ICON will appear on setting menu like a little inside car mirror.

2) input video on pin 15 Hirose connector

3) gnd video on pin 16 Hirose connector

Finish.

Good, next step should be discover how the nuvi detect camera is on and switch itself from navigator mode to backup camera mode.

Maybe using the two DAVAUS's mentioned pins (17) & (18)?

Maybe, sure they have to detect a status or low ( versus GND ) or high ( versus 12v), in fact in may opinion looking at the VIB11 sheme it has a pin connect to the reverse gear ligth, so automatically when the driver set the reverse gear, the nuvi's sceen show the backup camera !

Edited by - hummyi on 25 mai 2010 23:09:04
Go to Top of Page

arkadi

6 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2010 :  01:46:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If your error message only happens when you first connect then that is not a big issue – getting the audio to switch on [without dummy plug] is the goal.

Unfortunately I was just getting that error, no sound switching. I think I might have found my issue. That 2.2K might work after all. I made a little mistake I did cut traces on the side where the microphone connector is but there is another trace that is on another side that connects to GPS that has microphone traces. I missed to cut those. I have done that now and not getting this error any more. Seems that sound is switching. When I finish re-solder everything I will test finished product.

Edited by - arkadi on 26 mai 2010 02:07:56
Go to Top of Page

DAVAUS

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2010 :  04:51:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I have updated the diagram in my 12 Mar post [on page 13] summarising most of what I know at present for my cradle and common Hirose interface.

vfrman: Brilliant – I was wondering how you came up with 2.2K! Did you record the resistor values for the additional interfaces (?) this information could be very useful to others in the future.

Added on 30 May. Resistors for the various serial Managed Port Devices are as follows:
  • >115K (115K and above) for "USB Type-B" and there is at least 2.9V on Hirose pin 7

• 18K (16K to 21K) for "Power Cable" (note: this accessory is not supported) and there is about 2V on Hirose pin 7

• 8.2K (7.4K to 9.7K) for "Garmin Serial Slave" and there is about 1.5V on Hirose pin 7

• 3.9K (3.2K to 4.3K) for "Garmin Serial Master" and there is about 1V on Hirose pin 7

• 2.2K (1.79K to 2.76K) for "VIB" and there is about 0.6 V on Hirose pin 7

hummyi: Did you observe the audio switching behaviour with the resistor connected? I am keen to confirm that the dummy plug problem is overcome by the resistor on the Nuvi 800 series.

There are a lot of useful comments on how the backup camera /video could work, and I have little more to add at this time. That said, the Nuvi help menu provides a some information that might assist in reinforcing a common understanding for things like the reversing light switch polarity. These sections are:

• ‘Help’, ‘General’, ‘About Backup Camera’; and

• ‘Help’, ‘Settings’, ‘Backup Camera Settings’.

Best regards

David

Edited by - DAVAUS on 10 juin 2010 19:03:35
Go to Top of Page

hummyi

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2010 :  09:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by DAVAUS

Hi all,

hummyi: Did you observe the audio switching behaviour with the resistor connected? I am keen to confirm that the dummy plug problem is overcome by the resistor on the Nuvi 800 series.

Hummyi : I will check then I will report !

There are a lot of useful comments on how the backup camera /video could work, and I have little more to add at this time. That said, the Nuvi help menu provides a some information that might assist in reinforcing a common understanding for things like the reversing light switch polarity. These sections are:

• ‘Help’, ‘General’, ‘About Backup Camera’; and

• ‘Help’, ‘Settings’, ‘Backup Camera Settings’.

Best regards

Hummyi: In my opinion are general notes, nothing important

David

David, looking at your scheme on page 13, you can add the same note "4" even to the GND video pin(16), in fact this GND is not connect to common nuvi GND, I assume this is to avoid GND loop to reduce signal noise effect !

Edited by - hummyi on 26 mai 2010 09:45:38
Go to Top of Page

vfrman

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2010 :  17:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Davaus you asked:
"Did you record the resistor values for the additional interfaces (?) this information could be very useful to others in the future."

Sorry but I didn't think at the time as I was too busy trying to find the audio switch function. What I can remember is that I started with 8.2k and worked down to 2.2k and the two serial modes were something like master and slave or similar but as they didn't switch the audio I stopped being interested in them.
Go to Top of Page

dlipter

69 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2010 :  19:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I opened up and inspected my GTM20 Traffic Receiver and these are my observations:

1)There are only 10 wires in the GTM20 cable, so unfortunately no audio can be sent through the cable.

2)I measured 104k resistance between pin 7 and ground.

3)The ckt board is way too small for me to mess with.

To reduce the 104K resistance down to 2.2k, I might try installing a 2.3k resistor in parallel with the 104k by splicing the 2.3K across the green pin 7 wire and brown pin 8 wire, off the board in the area of the strain relief grommet. Hopefully this will enable the audio on pins 10, 11, and 12 of the 765T cradle.

Edited by - dlipter on 26 mai 2010 19:16:18
Go to Top of Page

arkadi

6 Posts

Posted - 27 mai 2010 :  04:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK final observation. I thought I got it solved but no such lack. Here is what is happening on my 765T. I connect 2.2K resistor and as long as I don't connect my Traffic receiver to base sound switching work perfectly. The moment GPS detects traffic receiver connected during it's power up I get that error message about XM device and no sound switching. So had to disable that resistor and go back to dummy plug. I hope some one would figure out what is the problem.
Go to Top of Page

DAVAUS

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 27 mai 2010 :  06:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
arkadi

I do not have access to all of my measurement notes for a few days but I do have an idea about what could be happening:

From memory, my GTM20 ‘traffic receiver’ functions when it is connected to the Nuvi - even when it is not plugged into the car power. This implies that the Nuvi is providing power to the traffic receiver. The VOUT1 line on pin 3 of the Hirose connector looks as if it provides the supply voltage via the purple wire in the GTM20 cable. I am thinking that the traffic receiver in the VIB11 could draw power differently…

Perhaps the Nuvi VOUT1 supply is turned off, or changes to a different voltage, when the Nuvi is fooled into thinking a VB11 is connected. You could check this by measuring the voltage with nothing connected, just the GTM20, and then the GTM20 with the 2.2K resistor.

Best regards

David

Corrected a typo: VOUT1 is on Hirose Pin 3 NOT Hirose Pin 1

Edited by - DAVAUS on 29 mai 2010 08:01:41
Go to Top of Page

arkadi

6 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2010 :  12:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

From memory, my GTM20 ‘traffic receiver’ functions when it is connected to the Nuvi - even when it is not plugged into the car power.

You are right traffic receiver works when connected to Nuvi regardless of connecting in to power in the car.

quote:

Perhaps the Nuvi VOUT1 supply is turned off, or changes to a different voltage, when the Nuvi is fooled into thinking a VB11 is connected. You could check this by measuring the voltage with nothing connected, just the GTM20, and then the GTM20 with the 2.2K resistor.

I don't really see how would this help?
Go to Top of Page

DAVAUS

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2010 :  07:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
arkadi

If you can confirm that the ‘supply’ voltage to the GTM20 traffic receiver interface is just turned off (or different) when the Nuvi is fooled with the 2.2K resistor… then there is a reasonable prospect that the this ‘supply’ voltage might simply be disconnected in the Hirose plug and hardwired to a compatible ‘supply’ for the GTM20.

It seems as though the Nuvi does configure the interface dependent upon what is connected, and my memory is not perfect on what happens when the GTM20 is connected – hence my advice to check the voltages!

I don’t have access to my gear/notes for a while, but If you can check and tell me what is actually happening - particularly on Hirose (Pins 3 and 6) when the 2.2K resistor is connected - then I might be able to suggest a way forward. I do have a very simple fix in mind for you to try.

It will also be worthwhile checking which Serial Port type is active in the "Ports" section of the fourth "Test Page". You can access the test pages by keeping your finger on the speedo for 10 seconds or so. You may see that "Garmin Serial Master" or some other port device is present rather than "VIB". This could indicate that there is an active device in the GTM20 Traffic Receiver that affects the Hirose Pin 7 voltage in addition to the resistor.

Best regards

David

PS: Does anyone have any information on how the Hirose Pins 17 & 18 are used in support of the backup camera functionality with the VIB interface?

Edited by - DAVAUS on 29 mai 2010 19:27:39
Go to Top of Page

hummyi

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2010 :  08:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I’ve missed something, but the GTM20 traffic receiver + 2k2 resistor on pin 7 are compatible together ? In my opinion NO !
I've put 2k2 resistor on pin 7 and the video in enable so I can use a backup camera in a manual way OK, but If I connect trough the HIROSE connector even the GTM20 the traffic receiver it is not recognize by the nuvi any more.
So there is a value resistor conflict, sure !
I've tried to pull down the 17 & 18 pins by a 1k resistor, for pin 18 non effects, for pin 17 the nuvi seems get freezing, so need a reset to restart.
Go to Top of Page

DAVAUS

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2010 :  18:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hummyi

I’m still trying to work through this same issue.

It does not look as though the traffic receiver ‘resistance’ acts in quite the way we originally thought… rather than detect a resistance value, the Nuvi is possibly configuring in response to the ‘voltage’ that it sees on its pin 4 (Hirose Pin7):

• When there is just a 2.2K resistor connected the Hirose Pin 7 voltage is around 0.6v [which corresponds to the ‘VIB’ interface];

• When there is a just a GTM20 traffic receiver connected (with no 2.2K resistor present) the Nuvi actually switches to the ‘Garmin Serial Master’ interface. [You can check this by looking in the Ports page of the test screens when a GTM20 is connected]; and

• You can get the Nuvi to go to the ‘Garmin Serial Master’ interface by just connecting a 3.9K resistor [and there is about 0.95V on the Hirose Pin 7 when you do this].

Why does the Nuvi go to the ‘Garmin Serial Master’ interface when a GTM20 is connected noting that its ‘resistance’ is around 100K and is not even close to 3.9K ????

I suspect that the GTM20s 100K ‘resistance’ we have been measuring is misleading because in operation the GTM20 may just output a specific voltage [around 0.95V]… and this voltage is what tells the Nuvi to change to the ‘Garmin Serial Master’ interface. That is: the Nuvi could switch to the interface corresponding to the voltage it sees - irrespective of what ‘resistance’ is present.

So… it follows that if we just happen to get the correct voltage with just a 2.2K resistor connected why not try disconnecting the GTM20s ID (green) wire from Hirose Pin 7 to remove that influence. Then you theoretically could get the ‘VIB’ interface active [with audio switching and video enabled], and the GTM20 data lines active at the same time. I have not tried this yet.

Best regards

David

PS: I have discovered nothing about Hirose Pins 17 and 18 yet.

Edited by - DAVAUS on 11 juin 2010 08:22:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,89 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05