Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2250

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Nuvi Proprietary Plug Pinouts
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Gaudi

8 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2009 :  17:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadr

quote:
Originally posted by Gaudi

I managed to get a JTAG connector, both male (from an old Kyocera data cable) and female (Nuvi 660 craddle) and am ready to create a Y box.
The problem is that I do not know which pins should I connect to pass power and traffic signal. I may solder all 18 pins, but this will be a messas the connector is very small and I will need a cable with 18 conductors inside. Can someone please list which pins are used?

Regards

I agree that this information would be very useful. Does anyone know?

I opened the GTM-20 (traffic) connector, but unfortunately Garmin filled it with resin so I could not guess the pinout. So still the information will be useful.
Go to Top of Page

sosi

Ukraine
42 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2009 :  05:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you test this GMT-20 connector? Connect it to cradle, strip insulation from antenna and use circuit tester to get link between antenna and cradle pin.
Go to Top of Page

kbattpo

Russia
78 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  17:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IsLNdbOi

I haven't tried placing a 7xx unit in the 5000 cradle. Didn't know the connector on the bottom of the 7xx is the same as the one on the bottom of the 5000.

It is not. I own both units. The 5000 cradle is much larger and has more pins than that of the 7xx.

KBATTPO
Go to Top of Page

kbattpo

Russia
78 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  18:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tadr
Which cradle/cable are you looking at? The GTM-20 cable and 765T cradle appear to use connectors from "Hirose", hence the "HRS" branding on the GTM-20 18-pin plug. The same branding can be seen on the inside of the 18-pin connector on the side of the mount if you look very very closely (magnifying glass close).

Here are the hirose (HRS) connectors at mouser:
http://www.mouser.com/Interconnects/I-O-Connectors/_/N-1yrnl?P=1z0wxox&Keyword=113281063&FS=True&Ntk=P_MarCom&utm_source=supplier&utm_medium=featured%20spotlight&utm_campaign=113281063
The receptacle is: ST60-18P(50)
The plug is: ST40X-18S-CV(80)

I'm currently debating whether it's worth it to order the connectors and build a cable with breakout box... vs just hacking into the cradle itself as others have done.

Thank you very much for the pointer, tadr!

This is exactly what it is: the Hirose ST60-18P(50). I just ordered one from Digi-Key for the whopping $2.08 and soldered into the cradle of the new to me Nuvi 5000 in place of the broken one. It never ceases to amaze me how a $2 part can bring a $500 unit down to its knees.

BTW, the second mystery flat connector on that cradle, who's purpose in life no-one seems to be able to identify, is also a Hirose, only a 10-pin. It is available from Digi-Key as well.

Since we're on the subject of the Nuvi 5000...

When a MiniUSB cable is connected directly to the MiniUSB port on the unit itself the Nuvi 5000 turns on and the PC sees it as an extra drive.
However the unit seems to be oblivious to the same MiniUSB cable if the latter is connected to the MiniUSB port on the back of the cradle.

I am wondering whether the MiniUSB port in my Nuvi 5000 cradle is broken or it is not a pass-though port by design. Does anyone else see this phenomenon?

KBATTPO

Edited by - kbattpo on 08 oct. 2009 18:16:30
Go to Top of Page

SergZak

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2009 :  18:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the USB mini-B connector on the 5000's cradle is not a pass-through design. Others here (and in other forums) have posted the same experience when trying to use the USB mini-B connector on the cradle.

The connector on the cradle may be used for the GTM 1x series traffic receivers which outputs only traffic data (no power voltage) through it's mini-B connector. I have never heard of anyone trying this configuration though but it may be what the connector on the cradle is meant for (maybe). But more than likely, it's just a "dead" connector.

nüvi 3490LMT, nüvi 3790LMT, nüvi 765T, nüvi 855, nüvi 760, nüvi 750

Edited by - SergZak on 08 oct. 2009 21:17:04
Go to Top of Page

calelloa

2 Posts

Posted - 31 janv. 2010 :  22:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have made the modification for line out with pin out but I have a problem.
If I connect the cradle without the 12volt charger works fantastic but when I connect 12V noise appear in right channel.
Any suggestion?
Go to Top of Page

edub80

6 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2010 :  00:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to all for the info you have given me so far. I followed the audio out pins to the plug of the 12v charger that came with the gps. I did some soldering in that plug, because contacts are bigger and I didn´t want to ruin the cradle.

I have the same problem as calelloa, when I connect the charger, I hear noise in both channels. Did anyone solve this problem?

The new line out I made stays always on, even if there's no fake 3.5 plug or the FM mode activated, but the volume is low. When I plug the fake 3.5mm connector, the volume get's high and clear, dont know why.

Now I would like to know what the rest of the pins are, because I want to use the nuvi with the rear cam! (I cant find a VIB10/11 anywhere)

Thanks everyone again!!!

Eduardo - Argentina - Nuvi 855
Go to Top of Page

DAVAUS

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2010 :  17:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great forum.
I am trying to install an audio output connection to take audio from a nuvi 885 cradle. So far I have not come across the audio pinouts that I need. There is a post by albertr on 13 Aug 2009 confirming that the modification can be done - but the pictures have been removed and there are no details.
Can somebody help with the pinouts or pictures to modify the 885 cradle?
Thanks in advance.
David
Go to Top of Page

edub80

6 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2010 :  01:28:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading the user manual, I discovered that the nuvi5000 cradle has a video in plug. Can anyone with this nuvi dissasemble the cradle and trace the cooper lines from that plug to the pins? or take pictures?

I want my 855 cradle with that video in feature!

Go to Top of Page

edub80

6 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2010 :  23:26:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SyAutomation, Hi! I read in the forum that you have a vib11. Can you take a picture of the engineer screen while the vib is connected and send it to me?. I want to cheat my nuvi.

Go to Top of Page

DAVAUS

Australia
11 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2010 :  09:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

I intend to make a custom 18-pin cable (with power, traffic, audio and video) for my Nuvi 885T. I have traced the 18-pin GTM20 and GDB50 cables through the 88x/86x/85x cradle but a little more information would help…

The same traffic receiver (GDB50 or GTM20) with 18-pin interface is used with Nuvi: 5000, 88x, 86x, 85x, 7xx, 6xx and 5xx. The traffic receivers do not use all of the signals in the 18-pin interface, but the Garmin VIB11 uses the same 18-pin interface to the Nuvi to support: power, traffic data, audio and video. I have trailed an image with a diagram containing what I already know about the 18-pin interface and the Nuvi 88x/86x/85x cradle. Can anyone advise:

- What are the traffic receiver serial data names (e.g. TxD-, TxD+, RxD-, RxD+, GND) on pins 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 of the 18-pin interface?

- What are the functions of pins 15, 16, 17 & 18 ?
Especially, which of these is video? The same information is sought by edub80.

Thanks in advance

For anyone that is interested, I have included an image with details on how to convert the 88x/86x/85x cradle microphone socket to a stereo audio output. I have not done this mod but it looks as if it would be reasonably easy to do...with some careful soldering!

Go to Top of Page

edub80

6 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2010 :  00:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Davaus, do you have the noise problem I have when I am using the 12V and the audio out?

Go to Top of Page

hummyi

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2010 :  09:08:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DAVAUS

Hi all

I intend to make a custom 18-pin cable (with power, traffic, audio and video) for my Nuvi 885T. I have traced the 18-pin GTM20 and GDB50 cables through the 88x/86x/85x cradle but a little more information would help…

The same traffic receiver (GDB50 or GTM20) with 18-pin interface is used with Nuvi: 5000, 88x, 86x, 85x, 7xx, 6xx and 5xx. The traffic receivers do not use all of the signals in the 18-pin interface, but the Garmin VIB11 uses the same 18-pin interface to the Nuvi to support: power, traffic data, audio and video. I have trailed an image with a diagram containing what I already know about the 18-pin interface and the Nuvi 88x/86x/85x cradle. Can anyone advise:

- What are the traffic receiver serial data names (e.g. TxD-, TxD+, RxD-, RxD+, GND) on pins 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 of the 18-pin interface?

- What are the functions of pins 15, 16, 17 & 18 ?
Especially, which of these is video? The same information is sought by edub80.

Thanks in advance

In my opinion the only way to discover which pins are for video input is using a video signal from a VCR or DVD player as a signal tracker, try one by one these pins
thought a small capacitor but not only …..
the video system in the NUVI devices switch on only if the rear gear is set, that means there is a pin dedicate to intercept the 12V get up on rear gear light or the rear gear switch get down ( versus GND ).
A simply way to workaround this blocking point is entering in the service menu and run the video input, then try to discovery the video input pin.
Can this help you ?

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 13 avr. 2010 16:00:41
Go to Top of Page

PACTAMAH

Russia
38 Posts

Posted - 14 avr. 2010 :  07:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The reason why the video system in the NUVI device switches on is because the Nuvi senses the video signal from the backup camera. Now, the backup camera switches on only if the reverse gear is set. At least this is how the backup camera and the Nuvi 5000 work in my wife's car. The Nuvi itself is not connected to the reverse gear circuit; the backup camera is.

Right now I am in the process of switching the wife's car over to the Nuvi 880. I will try to find the video input in the 8xx cradle since I have already installed and wired up the backup camera into the car a while ago and it has proven too convenient in everyday life to just give up voluntarily.
Go to Top of Page

hummyi

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2010 :  16:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any news ?
No one has discovered which are the Video input pin ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05