Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 Qstarz BT-Q1000 Travel Recorder with MTK v1.94
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 06 juil. 2007 :  01:23:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TOPIC - Qstarz BT-Q1000 Travel Recorder with MTK
MTK v1.94 firmware - 70,000 points

Product Page on Qstarz website

UPDATED 20071025 : The PC application lets you export logged data to .nma (NMEA) and .kml (Google Earth) formats but the exported data is limited (no altitude for instance) and hard-coded. The settings in the "Log Format" page ONLY apply to the .csv format so if you need a GPX or KML with the full height/speed information you'll need to convert your .csv file via www.gpsvisualizer.com

Qstarz are continuing to expand their line of GPS systems, and after the Solar BT-Q815 and the "double 32" BT-Q818, they have now released the BT-Q1000 Travel Recorder. It takes after the iBlue 747 but sports a ruberrized finish. More importantly it uses the latest v1.94 MTK chipset that offers improved dynamics in pedestrian use although my preliminary testing shows it isn't quite on par with SiRFstarIII yet.

On the logging side, the bug seen on the 747, i.e. logging doesn't stop if you move the switch from LOG to NAV, has not been fixed unfortunately.

Questions, comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

kiwiblade

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2007 :  09:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it a bug? Is it a feature? In the description of the Qstarz-BT1000 it is mentioned that in NAV mode, both navigation and logging are active.

What I noticed was that I could navigate while in LOG mode?

Cheers,

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2007 :  11:03:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well yes, since you can navigate in LOG mode (i.e. BT connection to PDA/PC), I can't see the point of logging in NAV mode. The 757 doesn't have that problem so I still think it's a bug.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

djwinn

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2007 :  20:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can this log data at 5hz? I teach a course in "roller-coaster physics" and I would like to buy several cheap dataloggers for students to carry on the rides. If this can log at 5hz then it may be perfect!

1hz is to slow, since they will experience up to 4-g accelerations and their velocity can change by 40 m/s between samples at that rate.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2007 :  21:23:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, you can switch it to 5hz and stream the data over Bluetooth but the built-in recorder logs at 1hz. I'm not aware of any logger that logs at more than 1hz.

Go to Top of Page

djwinn

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2007 :  23:02:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, then I have another question before I order this. Are there two versions of this device with different data rates enabled? (ie. like the iblue 737 1hz and 5hz version) or can I get the 5hz rate from any BT-Q1000 that I purchase?

Also, are there any cheap WM5 apps that can log the 5hz datastream?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

lyletanner

13 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2007 :  09:05:51  Show Profile  Visit lyletanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Franson GPSGate should be able to log @ 5hz, but I haven't tried it yet.

List price is $29, but it is included with a lot of the GPS receivers that Semsons.com sells.

http://franson.com/gpsgate/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2007 :  09:50:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, the free VisualGPS CE http://www.visualgps.net/VisualGPSce/ logs fine, make sure you use the max baudrate though because there is a lot of data flowing throught. In the ">1 hz receivers" topic I maxed out at 3Hz I think.

Go to Top of Page

kiwiblade

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2007 :  22:04:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Well yes, since you can navigate in LOG mode (i.e. BT connection to PDA/PC), I can't see the point of logging in NAV mode. The 757 doesn't have that problem so I still think it's a bug.

I do this quite often, just to record my path for later analysis (running) or to add photos later. So ... bug or feature?

Aha ... on second reading I understand your point: if you can log in NAV mode and nav in LOG mode, then what's the difference between the two? Anyway: better too much functionality, than too little.

My father is testing it as we speak as a preparation for his bicycle journey from Holland to Santiago de Compostella. With the right logging frequency, I hope to record his journey with only recharging during the trip, no data downloading.

Cheers,

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

salviati

1 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2007 :  04:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All. i am new to GPS forums, but I do have some feedback on this GPS device. I ordered it just after it was released, and I have been using it for about 1 week in Taiwan (and still am). Overall, I would give the Q1000 a good rating, except there are a few bugs from time-to-time. I have only been using it in LOG mode, but for 24-hours per day for several days straight.

I have had a Holux 236 previously (which I liked very much), so this is my only basis for comparison. The sensitivity of the Q1000 seems pretty good, and it seems to pick up almost all the time in cars, while walking, and somewhat indoors (but not always). I have been able to use it at very high speeds which I didn't think GPS units could handle such as an entire 250 km/h train (except the tunnels, obviously), and for parts of a plane ride! The part of the plane ride shows a speed of over 700 MPH before it lost the signal. Overall, I would recommend the unit, but there were some bugs I have found:

The ads i have seen so far all state that the Q1000 can store "Up to 100,000 Waypoints"; However, mine can only store 50,000. This may seem insignificant to those who are using this as a jogging aid or for short trips, but i was trying to use mine for several days straight, without access to my computer for downloading. I nearly got stuck at one point with 91% of the memory being used. Also, there is an indication on the unit when you are nearing the capacity of the memory when the blue light on the GPS icon blinks (not the Bluetooth icon) starts blinking. This was describe in my manual as meaning 'Full', so I almost turned the unit off even though I still had some memory left.

Second bug: I have been charging my unit every night, so I don't know how long the battery will actually last, but I have had the red 'low power' light start blinking after only 8-10 hours of LOG use from a full charge. I don't know how long the red light would have blinked for, but the first time it happened, it blinked for at least 4 more hours before I got it back to the charger. When I get back home, I will give the battery a proper test. The advertised battery time is 32 hours.

Third bug: The software for downloading the logs needs some work. When I was first testing the unit, I would have to press the 'Stop Log' button and begin the download 10-20 times for it to actually finish the download. I had virtually no programs running in the background, but the download would get stuck at various points along the way: sometimes 3%, sometimes 51%, sometimes 79%, with no apparent rhyme or reason. Each time it got stuck, I had to cancel and start over. Once I started getting lots of points though, it started working more consistently - as long as I didn't touch the computer at all during the download. It took about 7-8 minutes to download the full memory, and about a minute to download 2000 points.

Overall, I am happy with the unit and would buy it again, but I hope some of these bugs can get worked out.
Go to Top of Page

Bartman_x50v

42 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2007 :  11:10:34  Show Profile  Visit Bartman_x50v's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For me the very weak point of this two devoice (q1000 and 747) is the software.
This tools are really poor.
1. its impossible to esport a single tracking, but only all track, after you must edit the file
2. dont export in gpx format file, but must convrt nmea file from gpx, not to difficult, but for example for DG100 U can find alternative software that geocode photo
Go to Top of Page

kiwiblade

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 15 juil. 2007 :  23:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Salviati

I had the exact same experience. I gave Qstarz as mail to see if this can/will be fixed. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2007 :  04:18:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You had set the device to "LOG" mode to download, right, if you're in NAV mode it will time out after 3 minutes if memory serves.

I'm also quite impressed with the sensitiviy of the Q1000 as it was able to keep the fix during a while on a recent plane trip while placed in the overhead compartment, when others like the BT338 or NemeriX v3 couldn't, need to analyze the logs. It wasn't able to recover it while placed against the window though above the Atlantic, the Garmin 60Cx could though. A confirmation of the relative TTFF weakness of the MTK chipset.

Go to Top of Page

kiwiblade

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 17 juil. 2007 :  10:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got a quick response back from Qstarz. Apparently they have solved the download issue in v2.1 of the program. They send it to me, but I guess it is available for download from their website as well.

One thing that remains is the memory indication. Although I've used only a small portion of memory, the program sometimes indicates that 100% is used. Let's see if we can get rid of that.

@gpspassion: the sensitivity is very good indeed.

Cheers,

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

djwinn

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2007 :  20:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of these now, but I have been unable to figure out how to set it to 5hz. After reading many other posts in these forums I can see that it has something to do with sending the device a special command (possibly $PMTK300) but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

rorycooney

1 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2007 :  15:53:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
### Qstzar BT-Q1000 can log at 5Hz to internal memory ####

I had assumed that 5Hz logging was only possible by pda or PC but quite by accident I seem to have found that the BTQ1000 has the ability to internally log at 5Hz. Right now I'm looking at a log I took while going for a short motorbike ride. Once the bike gets over 30km/h (as set in the travel recorder utility) the logger has recorded 5 individual entries for every second. Essentially I can see my acceleration characteristics down to .2 seconds. The time stamps are identical however for all 5 entries. I assume that it just doesn't record the .0 .2 .4 .6 .8. When plotted the data clearly shows the acceleration and deceleration with .2 seconds resolution.

Setup

1 - Set logger to record at 5Hz using MiniGPS 1.32.

2 - Using Qstzar pc utility set logger to Advanced=>Log For Vehicle=>Log every 1 second and Log over 30km/h.

3 - Use logger as normal on a drive or roller coaster or whatever in log mode. (Ididn't have mine connected to any PC or PDA)

4 - When downloading information you must set the logger back to 1Hz otherwise there is too much live GPS data on the emulated com port over USB when downloading data from logger.

*** Can anyone with a similar mtk based logger try and verify that this is correct and that I'm not jumping to conclusions with my data ***

If this proves to be a stable function, I'm about 200 dollars happier with my purchase. There's alot of information that can be ascertained from .2 second resolution than from 1 second resolution. For me, mainly performance stats for tuning my bike.

I am new to the GPS game and haven't done much research into GPS accuracy. Does anyone know how good the short time repeatability is of GPS. That is I don't care about absolute accuracy, I just want to be sure that within a 10 second span that all the points and times are accurate relative to each other.

Thanks for any help provided.

P.S. I know that I am misusing the word "repeatability" so only constructive corrections please

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,92 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05