New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 59

thehill

17 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2007 :  04:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found that along interstates that stations are reporting their Diesel price which is 10 cents lower than the unleaded gas price instead of the unleaded price. I seen that when the price reported is lower than 2-3 cents then it the diesel price and their price is actually higher than other stations prices.

Edited by - danham on 03 juil. 2007 00:21:29

Ads

n/a

48 Posts

Posted - 30 juin 2007 :  17:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unless the stations are just reporting all their prices and MSN is making a bad decision when sorting.
Go to Top of Page

Lina Couvreur

3 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  21:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey thehill, thanks for your feedback! I work for the MSN direct team, I need some additional info in order to start looking into this issue. We want to let you know we take our customer's feedback very seriously! I'll update this post once I hear back from you with more info to investigate.

Where were you when you saw the price difference? what interstates are you talking about?
When was this?
Does it happen often?
What model is your PND?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  22:22:00  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lina:

Welcome to the forum.

Have you had a chance to read our road test of the nuvi 680 with MSN Direct?

Brace yourself [grin]; I was very intrigued with the service but on a 3500-mile trip found it very spotty and less than useful, but would be glad to converse with you here (preferably in a new topic that others can join) to see how we might be able to help it live up to its potential.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

Lina Couvreur

3 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  23:11:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Dan, feel free to start a new thread and we can go from there. Still reading up the long thread on 680 road test. It would be great if you can highlight the 9 pages worth of reading and compile some bullet points :)

Lina

quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  23:16:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try this -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=224

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2007 :  00:20:20  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lina:

I've changed the title of this thread and we can continue discussing MSN with you here.

Many thanks,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

JB2610

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2007 :  01:26:42  Show Profile  Visit JB2610's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This past weekend I took a trip that took me through Philadelphia where MSND Traffic actually sent data to my Nuvi 680. But I was receiving relevant traffic information on my Smart watch several minutes before I was on my 680. Now, I know the traffic channel on the watches recently underwent an "upgrade" and so it is my understanding that the two reporting systems are not one and the same.

One of my questions to Lina is: Will they ever be cojoined and become one, taking the best from each? Will the navigation side ever see the channel concept choices the watch side has?

Unfortunately neither system kept me from getting imbedded in a traffic jam but as we proceeded down the "Shurekill" (I-76) and into New Jersey I would say the watch channel was giving me a better synopsis of traffic speeds and travel times. The Nuvi, when it began to report a traffic slowdown of "x" minutes duration 26 miles ahead, was just flat out wrong. By the time I reached the alleged slowdown there wasn't any and no way to confirm there ever was.

In the Smart world users report outages to Arthur or Anne at Spotstop.com. Do you want known outages reported if/when they are detected on the navigation side, here?

JB
Go to Top of Page

buddygator

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2007 :  17:59:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surprised there hasn't been more interest in getting this thread going.

Dan mentioned this in his road-trip review, but I think it's worth a second example. In regards to the weather alerts from MSN...

Here in the Tulsa, OK area, the only alerts that seem to come up are flood alerts. Besides not getting other (specifically severe storm) weather alerts, the flood alerts are transmitted long after the actual warning(s) have expired. Plus, we're getting alerts for both Tulsa & Muskogee counties. The Tulsa alerts are expected in my area, but Muskogee is about 75 miles away and flooding/weather in that area is irrelevant in my travels.

Would be nice to get better, more specific weather alerts.
Go to Top of Page

velobard

42 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2007 :  17:59:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main issue I've had with MSN Direct is that in the past month I've had to reactivate mine 3 times.

The last time was last Friday. When I called MSN that time I was told that perhaps my account wasn't "fully activated" in teh previouis attempts. I have no idea how an account could be partially activated and still give me full data for 10 or so days at a time, but that's what I've had happen. I also know for sure that with the first and third attempt it gave me the "activated" screen. I can't recall for sure if this popped up the second time, I was a little busy driving at the time.

I'm really hoping I don't have to keep going through this. Oh yeah, one more thing. This last time the rep told me the key had to remain On in the car for the full 20-30 minute download. I explained that before I called I switched the power cord to a full-time powered outlet and she tried to tell me the unit used "other things" besides just the power outlet to finish it's job. I didn't have the option of leaving the car on the whole time and what she was saying didn't make any sense to me, so I went ahead and turned the car off. When I came back the "activated" screen was displayed so it appeared to have finished correctly.

Go to Top of Page

jam116

29 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  00:10:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope this does not turn into a slam as so many times you see on forms.
Thank you for your offer to help!
I would love to see prices for both diesel and gas as I use both. Coverage is somewhat spotty...I can see that this service has great potential while traveling! Very good idea and with time I'm sure all the bugs will be worked out...
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  01:39:17  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't do "slams" here [g], so rest assured that the moderators share your concern and will prevent that.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

publicpersona

21 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  02:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure I'd love the MSNDirect service .. if I could receive it. Unfortunately, the coverage maps are exaggerated. I live clearly within the coverage area but receive no signal until I drive to the other side of town. The problem is reproducible each and every day, so it isn't a problem with my unit, nor do I need to reactivate. When I'm in the true coverage area (which I've found one can see by looking at the more conservative watch maps), it works great.

I've talked with MSNDirect customer support now 5 times. Each time they tell me that the issue has been escalated but I need to call back "next week" for some resolution. I paid $200 extra for a Nuvi that could do MSN and bought the lifetime service the first night. Now I find that on my daily commute, I finally receive traffic info when I arrive at my destination.
Go to Top of Page

salsaguy

USA
556 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2007 :  04:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So where did Lina go off to? No recent posts.

Lina I have some questions...

1) When will the coverage maps be updated? Seems they show a 2004 date??

2) How do you read those coverage maps? as shown here:
http://direct.msn.com/about/coverage.aspx
Is the heavy dark solid line border the actual area you get coverage or just the County name border area? Is the thinner black border line the coverage area or the city/county limit border lines?
What do the orange/yellow colored areas represent? Is that the area where the 2 areas do not overlap and there is no MSN coverage or just city border lines again? Very confusing to interpret.
My Zip of 90605 for South Whittier appears to be Ok and in the coverage area but.....

3) Why does the watches info for MSN Direct seem to have more available than the GPS info?
http://www.msndirect.com/SmartWatchTrafficCoverage.html
Watches has all 3 - Speeds / Incidents / Travel Times
whereas the GPS's only get 2 of those: Incidents and Speeds:
http://www.msndirect.com/NavigationTrafficCoverage.html

You would think since the GPS device is a more powerful computer than a watch, it can handle more info/computing, so why do the much lesser expensive watches get more benefits than a very expensive GPS? I would think "times" would be more beneficial on the GPS side as well for the customers who are driving and need to know the time it takes to get to their destination??

Please advise and thanks for your info and insights on this new technology

quote:
Originally posted by Lina Couvreur

I work for the MSN direct team, I need some additional info in order to start looking into this issue. We want to let you know we take our customer's feedback very seriously! I'll update this post once I hear back from you with more info to investigate.

Salsaguy - Los Angeles area
nuvi 680 / nuvi 760
Go to Top of Page

JB2610

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2007 :  14:19:24  Show Profile  Visit JB2610's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just to emphasize/expand on salsaguy's comments/questions that the Smart watches have a lot more information presented as well as more 'channels' - the Weather data, for example, on the watch gives current temp/conditions, today's forecast, 3-day forecast, humidity, barometer with up/down indicator, wind speed and direction, UV index, sunrise time, sunset time. But the watch does not get weather alerts. And on the watch you can pick from an International city list that you want to get some rudimentary weather info for. Seems to me the nuvis have, as SG indicated, enough system power and screen real estate to accomodate all the above.

Yesterday I had a "no weather data" situation on the Nuvi and yet I had all data on my watch. I was traveling in the center of my coverage area approximately 8-10 miles from the TS. One possible explanation for no data on gps is that the gps and watch are receiving data from two different TS and one station was having problems. ????

Is the weather data source the same feed for both watch and gps?

GPSIII, GPSIII+, Rino 120s, SPIII, IQue3600, SP2610, GPS10, SP2730
nüvi 680, MIO C320, Navigon 7200T, Motonav TN765T, nüvi 885, nüvi 295W.
"I took the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?"...."How should I know - you wouldn't let me recalculate!!"
Go to Top of Page

JB2610

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2007 :  01:09:29  Show Profile  Visit JB2610's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A possible bit of competition for MSN Direct is announced:

"Microsoft's MSN Direct technology has a challenger in the world of traffic data transmissions and beyond.

Clear Channel Radio announced today that it will begin sending traffic information through HD Radio in many metropolitan areas across the nation. In the near future, Clear Channel plans to add weather updates to the HD Radio transmissions.

This new launch for Clear Channel's Total Traffic Network will compete with MSN Direct, which currently provides traffic info, weather updates, gas prices, and movie times to customers through common devices such as watches, GPS units, weather stations, and coffee makers."

Clear Channel press release is here: http://tinyurl.com/3bju2p

Edited by - JB2610 on 11 juil. 2007 01:14:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 59 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,78 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05