Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Handheld Portable GPS Receivers
 [TOPIC] eTrex series H w/MTK chip - SW3.40/FW2.90
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
495 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2007 :  06:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup. It's for the both. But, I see no mention of the WAAS issue fixed.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsUpdates.jsp?product=010-00630-00&cID=145&pID=8703

"Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.40:

Fix compass hint message issue when compass turn off.
Changed odometer calculation to more closely match track log distance.
Change number of lines of text in the address field on map feature review page from 4 to 6.
Limit number of custom POI bitmaps to 64 to ensure enough memory resources.
Added better compatibility with Mac computers in USB mass storage mode
Improved pedestrian route calculation for shortest distance method.
Changed datum used in the SWEREF 99TM grid from GEO_NAD83 to GEO_NONE_GRS80.
Changed datum used in the Estonian grid from GEO_NAD83 to GEO_NONE_GRS80.
Fix potential shutdown when using TOPO West 1999.
Fix potential shutdown on track setup for data card when track log files have long file names.
Corrected French translation for 'Log track points'.
Improve track log recording for sensor products to continue recording sensor data even when GPS doesn't have a fix.
Fix potential shutdown when propagating in a cul-de-sac across a map boundary.
Add A905/D900 unlock code communication protocol.
Make route recalculation on MPC maps behave like City Navigator maps.
Fix second power on issue.
Fix WebUpdater issue of GPS firmware.
"
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2007 :  11:23:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's the problem with WAAS, the fact that you have to reactivate it each time you restart the eTrex ?

I added the link in your message. It seems our problem has been addressed : "Changed odometer calculation to more closely match track log distance" - will update ASAP !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

travisn000

37 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2007 :  22:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tried another 2Gb microSD card and it works fine so I guess the Garmin units don't like the Kingston 2Gb microSD !

I think i read in a manual for one gps that Kingston cards aren't supported due to differences in voltage requirements... This may explain some of the card problems others report as well
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
495 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2007 :  23:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't recall exactly, but I thought it was more than the WAAS turning off when restarting. There have been reports of not being able to get the unit to turn on when powered by the USB/external power cord.

Any how, reading the update from Garmin, the odometer issue may not be fully fixed. Notice how they say "more closely match the track the log distance." Garmin never wrote "to match the track log distance". --Just an observation of mine.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 28 sept. 2007 :  00:45:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good news, walked around some streets in Paris this afternoon with the 60CSx and the Vista HCx with v2.40 and the odometer reading is now higher on the Vista as seen below, haven't had a chance to look at the actual track yet, but it's a definite improvement.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Sellador

USA
98 Posts

Posted - 29 sept. 2007 :  19:16:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ELEGEND_YVR

Yup. It's for the both. But, I see no mention of the WAAS issue fixed.
I was wondering that myself. According to this guy on the Groundspeak forums, the WAAS issue was fixed in the previous release. link (See post #266)

I don't really remember hearing anyone talking about that. Can anyone with the unit confirm whether the WAAS disabling problem still exists?

Also of interest, as I searched for info on this, is the possiblity that the WAAS problem isn't really a bug, but a feature. Check out this post (post #144).

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 29 sept. 2007 :  19:24:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I never thought this was a big problem, besides the impact of WAAS on consumer systems is "unproven", at best, my thorough comparisons in this article certainly showed no sign of it, and I'm not aware of any other comparisons like that.

Anyway, that reminds me I need to download the recorded track to see if the picture above tells the right story ;-)

Go to Top of Page

colsub

Italy
18 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2007 :  11:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've read that there is a new software version for eTrex Legend HCx version 2.40 (September 26,2007) and could be also used for vista HCX ?
Is there the Italian language?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 30 sept. 2007 :  22:59:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the Italian language, but the Webupdater should find the v2.40 update for you like it did for others?

Got some bad news on the odometer front, did some testing today with the 60CSx next to the Vista HCx and while it worked ok on the way out with a light tree cover it started "missing beats" on the way back in the forest, will post pictures tomorrow.

Go to Top of Page

freeday

21 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2007 :  07:09:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your track-differene is 8%. (and ist is really a very small distance)

You should also take a walk for a longer time with some breaks.
When you are walking for 10-20 km with some breaks the trip odometer difference will rapidly raise to 10-40% difference !!! (with the actual firmware GPS 2.40 / 2.30)

Regards freeday
GPSMAP60csx VISTA hcx TomTom One v1
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2007 :  13:16:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, in the picture above the distance was higher on the Vista, so that was good news, regardless of the distance. I take it you're not seeing any improvement with v2.40 then ?

Here are the pictures of my walk yesterday, start, middle, end, while it worked ok on the way out with a light tree cover it started "missing beats" on the way back in the forest. Actual track length (per Mapsource with track recorded every second) : 5.8km according to the 60CSx log and 6.0km to the Vista HCx. The HTC Kaiser with a Qualcomm 7200 GPS chipset had 6.2km.

Overview of trip (recorded with HTC Kaiser with a Qualcomm 7200 GPS chipset)

I'm less optimistic about Garmin being able to fix this problem now than in July whent it first appeared as they tried with v2.40 and failed, even though the underlying track data still seems to be correct.

Go to Top of Page

colsub

Italy
18 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2007 :  18:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of Rechargeable batteriea can I use in my Vista HCx?
Can I use, in gps unit, batteries with 2000mAh? Or 2500mAh?

Can I use this map "MapSource City Navigator Europe NT 9" in Vista HCx?
Go to Top of Page

lostandbewildered

11 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2007 :  19:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Could I trouble you for a couple of comparison pics with actual mapping details between these to units? Thanks.

Cheers,

Best Regards
Go to Top of Page

fujitsu

Portugal
13 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2007 :  14:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!

please GpsPassion, could you tell me where did you buy the carrying case fpr your Etrex Vista HCx. Your seems to be larger than mine. With my carrying case I cann't see all the GPS screen.

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

fujitsu

Portugal
13 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2007 :  14:25:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
colsub you could use both 2000mAh or 2500mAh. I use Sanyo eneloop 2000mAh because these batteries don’t loose charge when not in use. I recommend Sanyo (2500mAh or 2700mAh or eneloop)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05