Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1952

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Handheld Portable GPS Receivers
 [TOPIC] eTrex series H w/MTK chip - SW3.40/FW2.90
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2007 :  01:12:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums.
It should work fine, I've used it for that purpose myself.
I've been dointg a lot of side-by-side testing and while I think the 60CSx with SiRFstarIII provides better overall performance, the Vista HCx is pretty close.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

daniel

17 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2007 :  16:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
Could you please give more details on the better performance of the 60CSx compared to the Vista HCx ?
Also what do you think about the performance of the electronic compass and barometric altimeter of the vista HCX ?
Thanks a lot !
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2007 :  22:33:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well as was said before it reports more accurate information on the trip computer and I've also been able to establish that it reacquires the fix faster after losing it, arguable this was some torture testing as I was riding on a train, part underground, part in the open.

After a 4.5/4.8km hike in the woods, this is what they showed :

In Mapsource, Vista HCx track was 4.5km and 60CSx track was 4.8km, so if you don't need live data, the Vista HCx will probably be ok.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

daniel

17 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2007 :  12:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot the photo is very concluding !
Do you think there is any chance that garmin correct this trip odom bug?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2007 :  12:18:28  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well it's been a month now...but again the good news is that the recorded track has the proper information so it seems they should be able to fix the display, just a guess though.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2007 :  12:30:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are the tracks, close enough

Go to Top of Page

kazuo

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2007 :  14:18:03  Show Profile  Visit kazuo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The new chpset for eTrex H seems from STMicroelectronics.

Garmin Integrates New GPS Chipset from STMicroelectronics
gWe are proud to announce that our state-of-the-art GPS technology has been selected for Garminfs new range of portable and handheld devices,h said Domenico Rossi, General Manager of STfs Car Radio and Multimedia Division. gST is one of the few players in this market that can offer high-performance and cost-effective GPS solutions, based on robust silicon technology, experience in the automotive market, and know-how developed in collaboration with leading navigation manufacturers.h

http://www.st.com/stonline/stappl/cms/press/news/year2007/p2194.htm
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93785 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2007 :  14:19:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This was discussed elsewhere, they may use it in the future, but on these units this is clearly the MTK chipset, see details above.

Go to Top of Page

kazuo

Japan
7 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2007 :  14:46:20  Show Profile  Visit kazuo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I missed check else about that.
GARMIN use old case of eTrex for new eTrex H, then I guess the eTrex H different in other HC models.
Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
483 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2007 :  03:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, can someone post the basemap images of the screens to see how much "real estate" is actually shown between the two models? And perhaps comment on the speed of scrolling on the maps?

Thanks

Edited by - ELEGEND_YVR on 17 sept. 2007 03:24:42
Go to Top of Page

nqnsome

Brazil
5 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2007 :  04:48:59  Show Profile  Visit nqnsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion
I think I'm seeing a problem with the memory though as maps sometimes disappear until I restart it, these are topo maps I uploaded with img2gps to be able to add a custom typ to improve legibility. Anyone else notice that ? Never seen that problem on the 60CSx.

Since this is my first post, let me say first I find this forum very good! A very nice place to find a lot of useful information about GPSr's.

About the problem mentioned by gpspassion, I found it on my GPSMap60CSx when I started using a new 256MB Sandisk microSD card I bought in USA.

Another two sad and annoying problems associated to the 256MB microSD card are:

- corruption of the .gpx files where the tracklog is registered
- problems when transfering maps to GPS in Mapsource

I noticed that, using the original 64MB Sandisk "transflash"(microSD) card, all these problems disappears, so it is most likely card related, but not exactly a problem in the card. It seems that the card support in the GPS firmware is not very well implemented...

I was hoping things to be better implemented in the new units, but it doesn't like to be true.

Besides that, some guys (two) here in Brazil reported a card problem with the Vista HCx. While Mapsource is unable to transfer maps do the GPSr, it works very well in device storage mode (that is, it is possible to read and write files to the card).

[]'s Sergio
Garmin GPSMap60CSx

Edited by - nqnsome on 18 sept. 2007 04:54:12
Go to Top of Page

ELEGEND_YVR

Canada
483 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2007 :  06:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm. It could be Garmin's way of "encouraging" users of buying their preloaded maps on their microSD card.

What has Garmin tech support said when you presented them with your observation?
Go to Top of Page

nqnsome

Brazil
5 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2007 :  06:48:18  Show Profile  Visit nqnsome's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually I didn't present my observation about my 60CSx to the Garmin tech support yet.

The other two guys having problems with the VistaHCx were told to return their GPSr's to Garmin for repair/replacement. I don't know about further developments of their situation. I will ask in our brazilian forum.

[]'s Sergio
Garmin GPSMap60CSx
Go to Top of Page

freeday

21 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2007 :  06:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had th same problem on a hcx with a 512 MB Card (multiple times)
with a 2 GB card i never had this problem. - Curious

Regards freeday
GPSMAP60csx VISTA hcx TomTom One v1
Go to Top of Page

daniel

17 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2007 :  15:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I've read that there is a new software version for eTrex Legend HCx version 2.40 (September 26,2007) and could be also used for vista HCX ?
Do you know if this update correct the trip odom bug ?
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05