Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2772

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Handheld Portable GPS Receivers
 [TOPIC] eTrex series H w/MTK chip - SW3.40/FW2.90
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2007 :  14:16:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED 20100331 : v3.40 available via the webupdater
UPDATED 20090901 - New v3.10 software available and new GPS Firmware v2.90 too, get them with the WebUpdater.
UPDATED 20090514 - GPS Firmware version v3.00 available via a manual download see link on page 11.
UPDATED 20081015 - GPS Firmware version v2.80 available via the Webupdater.

UPDATED 20080829 - Software version v2.70 available via the Webupdater.

UPDATED 20080109 - Software version v2.60 available via the Webupdater. According to the notes, the "ascent calculation" is now fixed, more details on page 9 of this topic.

UPDATED 20080109 - GPS Firmware v2.60 available via the Web Updater

UPDATED 20071218 : a new v2.30, MTK firmware (GPS Type M2) is available, see page 8 for details.

UPDATED 20071001 : the odometer problem does not appear to be fixed. Here are the pictures of the 60CSx and Vista HCx screens during a walk yesterday, start, middle, end. While it worked ok on the way out with a light tree cover it started "missing beats" on the way back in the forest, total per odometers, 5.44 and 4.80. Actual track length (per Mapsource with track recorded every second) : 5.8km according to the 60CSx log and 6.0km to the Vista HCx. The HTC Kaiser with a Qualcomm 7200 GPS chipset had 6.2km.

Overview of trip (recorded with HTC Kaiser with a Qualcomm 7200 GPS chipset)

I'm less optimistic about Garmin being able to fix this problem now than in July whent it first appeared as they tried with v2.40 and failed, even though the underlying track data still seems to be correct.

UPDATED 20070927 : v2.40 firmware update that should fix the difference between the odometer reading and the recorded track, details >> HERE <<

UPDATED 20070718 : New eTrex H series is confirmed with MTK chipset, see this report for more details.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

Original Post by jotne : New eTrex from Garmin this Autumn.

New High Sensitive ship (brand not yet known)
Support for Galilei (Europen GPS system)

I do hope that Garmin will support Galileo on other GPS with firmware upgrade.

eTrex H (Replace yellow one)
eTrex Venture HC (only 24 MB internal memmory)
eTrex Legend HCx (micro SD card slot)
etrex Vista HCx (micro SD + Barometer and compass)
all with new shipset.

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_fall_07/outdoor/garmin_new_etrex.pdf

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2007 :  00:39:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting find, reminds of how the news about the 60Cx came out in 1995.

I wonder why Garmin no longer mention that they are using SiRF chipsets. That fooled us for the 2xx when we thought they had switched to MTK. Based on the current performance problems of the MTK chipset in pedestrian mode, they can't be using it on the eTrex series. That leaves SiRF, NemeriX or uBlox, we shall see...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

snakyjake

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2007 :  17:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm hoping they will add 3-axis compass to their handhelds.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2007 :  19:10:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Like on the Magellan's ? Yes, even if that will have to be the Vista only.

Go to Top of Page

Norb

40 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2007 :  23:20:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IIRC the Astro receiver has a 3 axis compass to it so I guess the next generation CSx units will too
Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2007 :  12:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

(...)
I wonder why Garmin no longer mention that they are using SiRF chipsets. That fooled us for the 2xx when we thought they had switched to MTK. (...)

I “like” the way they named it in specs: high-sensitivity receiver: yes ;)
Go to Top of Page

MikeMc

Ireland
41 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2007 :  22:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The units are now on the Garmin site at https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2007 :  22:40:43  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice find, these are the mapping units though, the eTrex H is here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705 with an MSRP of $106, same as the standard model, good price. Not sure waht they mean by Q3/2007 though, july or September...

Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2007 :  05:40:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea if the new models are coming with MTK or SiRF?
Go to Top of Page

anne.olink

74 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2007 :  10:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the logo of the SiRF is not printed with the artikle, so the new chip of garmin is in it. see also the nuvi 2xx.

PDMS piping designer.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2007 :  10:50:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's what we thought about the 2xx originally, but it boots up with the SiRF logo so one has to assume it is SiRFstarIII inside, likely the LT version used on the GPS10x.

A clue here might be the rated battery life , it doesn't make a lot of sense with the long life of the CX models, but the "yellow" eTrex goes from 22 to 17 hours, not as big a change as the 60->60CX, 28->18 but the latter has a colour screen.

Go to Top of Page

Moris

87 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2007 :  12:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That’s right. That could be a clue. I’m loosing the hope it will come with SiRF. But at least there will be a chance to try another chip on Garmin ;)
Go to Top of Page

sundude

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 21 juin 2007 :  14:52:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember what the max. allowable tracklog size was on the legend CX or vista CX ,when Garmin had a firmware upgrade that allowed tracklog on the micro SD. I am thinikig of buying the Legend HCX and assume it will be the same. I did search the forums and couldn't find it. I thought that you could store large track logs up to the size of the Micro SD. All of Garmins info on their website says that the max track log size is 10000 points.

Edited by - sundude on 21 juin 2007 14:53:38
Go to Top of Page

low_battery

11 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2007 :  17:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone verify that the hcx will automatically generate and save the tracklog to the microSD card on a daily basis, just like the 76csx?

I am thinking about getting this instead of a 76csx, does that sound like a good idea or will I lose some features?

Why does my GPS say I am in "low battery"?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2007 :  18:53:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
er, wasn't that the question just above ?...and last I checked they weren't available so that question will probably have to wait a bit ;-)

Go to Top of Page

MikeMc

Ireland
41 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2007 :  20:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From some reports I understand that the Vista HCx is available from some retail outlets, both in the US and UK. I have not heard of reports of its availability elsewhere.

I also understand that 'Copyright Mediatek Inc. 2007' appears on the Welcome screen. This would confirm that it is using a Mediatek chip.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,85 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05