Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Egmont

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  14:48:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
... I just upgraded from the 500c to the 600c for my bike two days ago.

The good news, no over heating, even after trying it in my Jeep on the windshield on for nine hours straight. Also, the display is better, but not as good as I had hoped. The satellite overlay is limited in my area and personally I consider it more of a gimmick then an improvement in navigation. The menu is great step forward over the old one, much simpler.

I like it and I am not sorry I bought it.

Now the bad, my house is in the proper location on my street, but still in the middle of a bay.

What is your opinion?

Egmont _CT USA
HP iPAQ4705 w/G10, BT338 & 2 Holux 236
iQue3600, 600c, 276c,
AVIC-Z1/2
among others

Edited by - Egmont on 01 mai 2007 14:50:00

Ads

ST-Bob

USA
3706 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  15:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"my house is in the proper location on my street, but still in the middle of a bay."

Move...

My guess is that the base-map doesn't have enough granularity of the shoreline contours in your area (or it's out of date). The way maps are displayed, from what I can tell, is that the base-map is shown with the NavTeq, Enhanced Lake Maps, or Nautic-Path overlaid on top of it. The Lowrance base-map hasn't changed in literally YEARS so could have some, uh, 'strangeness' in spots.

When you say it's in the middle of a bay, you're not on military land, are you? If so, it's defaulted to show military land as a dark blue color. I usually turn off military land in the misc. category, but that may or may not be your problem.

One of the weird things that happened to one of my 500c's is that I loaded up some enhanced lake maps and found that I got the unit into some sort of "out of sync" condition where it displayed both the rough outlines from the base map and also the detailed lake and river shoreline contours on top of each other. That little screw-up cost me a week or so without the 500c while Lowrance wiped the disk and reloaded it through the internal IDE interface.

None of these things are "perfect". There's always going to be trade-offs and data problems in some areas. You just happen to live in one of those Bermuda Triangle areas I guess.

Bob Peloquin - Moderator-Lowrance iWay forum
Massachusetts, USA
Various Iways, nüvi 750, Drive Smart 50
Go to Top of Page

bcope01

USA
308 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  16:01:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"my house is in the proper location on my street, but still in the middle of a bay."

I didn't know the "lost city of Atlantis" was in Connecticut.

Bill
iWAY 500C
Go to Top of Page

Egmont

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  16:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are funny Bob, I think I will into your house.

I live on the shore and much of the area is marsh here and even on the approaches the map indicates land, but the road is through the water. Thank god my Jeep likes water.

All these road are here for over 50 years, but I think the problem is that the map software does not make a distinction between land, marsh and water, just land and water.

Egmont _CT USA
iQue3600, 600c, 276c,
AVIC-Z1/2
among others

Go to Top of Page

Egmont

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  16:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bcope01

I didn't know the "lost city of Atlantis" was in Connecticut.

Well you never know

When I demote my 500c to someone and approached my road he ask if we should brake out the paddles.

Egmont _CT USA
iQue3600, 600c, 276c,
AVIC-Z1/2
among others

Go to Top of Page

brb

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2007 :  00:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received my 600c a few days ago. This is my first Lowrance so I don't really have anything to compare it to. I have played with it abit, but haven't had a chance to take it on a road trip. I'm pretty pleased with the data and how you can search/find places, place Waypoints, etc.

Based on what I read here on the forum I downloaded the GDM6 software from Lowrance to work on some Waypoints but I'm a little confused with it, and also a little nervous about it. I've heard and read about possible lockups and problems that sometimes can happen when downloading Waypoints, etc. to the iWay 500/600's, forcing return of the unit to Lowrance. Can anybody fill me in on whether this is true and maybe guide me in the right direction on what to do or not do.

Also, I don't quite understand the mapping (or lack of) with the GDM software. The help files shows street details, smaller towns etc. but the GDM6 software I downloaded doesn't show any streets at all. It's just a big blank map of the US with the States and a very few major cities. With this in mind how does one know where to place a Waypoint.

B Bowers
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2007 :  00:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GDM6 is not designed to create waypoints for this class of unit, but for their portable memory module units (that don't have pre-loaded maps).

I probably transfer as many routes and waypoints as anyone does, testing conversions, performing tests for people who have trouble with the process, etc.

GDM6 is great for working with track files, but I use Microsoft Streets & Trips 2006 to create routes and their associated waypoints and convert them to a Lowrance-compatible format using GPSUtility.

Occasionally, I also use Mapsource (especially helpful when working with Garmin riding partners) - it handles multiple routes in one file (S&T only does one at a time). When using Mapsource, I just export it as a GPX file and save it directly to the iWay.

I have never had a lockup or problem related to loading routes or waypoints. The worst case is when I loaded my HD with excessive track files and got a warning that it was out of space.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94687 Posts

Posted - 10 mai 2007 :  00:28:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thread upgraded to a "user reviews" sticky status, so keept them coming and you can share pictures using this method http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14251

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3706 Posts

Posted - 10 mai 2007 :  00:38:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brb

Also, I don't quite understand the mapping (or lack of) with the GDM software. The help files shows street details, smaller towns etc. but the GDM6 software I downloaded doesn't show any streets at all. It's just a big blank map of the US with the States and a very few major cities. With this in mind how does one know where to place a Waypoint.

GPS Data Manager is a crippled subset of Lowrance's full mapping product "MapCreate". It's just for handling the data files, not for moving waypoints. If you want to delete waypoints, it's fine. If you want to import waypoints from other software, it's OK. If you want to deal with routable roads and routes like the NavTeq maps on the iWay - Lowrance does not have a solution for that. If you have a list of addresses, MapCreate will produce the latitude/longitude (within a few hundred feet, usually) and place the waypoint - GDM6 cannot do this as it has no maps. MapCreate contains only their "Tiger" base-maps; not the NavTeq mapping.

Massachusetts, USA
Go to Top of Page

scottf200

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10 mai 2007 :  05:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[repost per gpspassion suggestion as this thread is sticky]

I've had the 600c for 3 or so weeks now. It is my first GPS. I have friend that has had the 500c for a year or so without any trouble. I have friend that has had the 500c for a year or so without any trouble.

OVERALL I am thrilled with this GPS. Lot of little features in it like going to a destination and then adding an ad-hoc detour along the way.

I use an external ant based on all the advice on the forum. It works excellent and quickly. The WAAS correction seems good and if I understand the overlay data I put on my screen my correct is 20ft-50ft on a regular basis.

a) My friend thought the new screen was excellent compared to the 500c. He did think that the fonts were a little smaller or harder to read, however. He had just started wearing reading/computer glasses in the past year.

b) Satellite images

b1) I now think this is an extremely cool feature but at first was disappointed. I had change my perspective on what they were trying to do with it. It is not a google sat image that allows you to zoom in. It is really an overview that is useful when you are driving to give you a 'real world' perspective. It is a unique feeling to see the sat image on the screen in comparision to the computer gen'd image.

b2) The satellite image is a little wierd in 3D mode. It makes sense why but it is still wierd. Basically the 2D images is distorted. The clearest/focused image is right in the middle of the screen, the part of the image closest to you is enlarged fuzzy pixels, the part of the imsage farthest is compressed pixels. I realize this is a necessity and I understand why the made the center focused..it is just a little odd looking.

b3) I live in the chicagoland area in a SW suburb. My area and immediate suburbs have sat images. When I travel a couple suburbs over to my health club that suburb does not have sat images. DUMB. It seems like the chicagoland (chicago and connecting suburbs) would all have sat images. To me this is really dumb. I have sat images for various other cities that I won't visit but they don't even have the connecting ones around Chicago.

Click for several close-ups

b4) See various sat images here at different zoom levels. Note see my b1 comments about understanding the purpose of sat images on a GPS and why the limits of zoom it seems OK.
Click to see the album

c) I've had the device 'reboot' on me about 4 times. It seems like it happens when songs change or something is going on with the player. I play MP3 music most of the time on it. It seem like this slows down the mapping refresh and the route generation, however. I guess just using CPU cycles to play the songs.

<update - I spent 18+ hours with it in the last week and it worked flawlessly - no reboot - most hours were with the MP3 being used as well >

iWay 600c owner
Chicagoland, IL

Edited by - ST-Bob on 10 mai 2007 13:46:49
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2007 :  21:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cracked the case on the 600 last night - it's been totally re-designed. There is now shielding fabric that covers large portions of the components, specifically around the GPS antenna and on the main circuit board. The FM modulator is mounted near the HD on the heat sink with the antenna routed to the bottom of the case. (FM modulator was useless for me on both my cars with antennas near the rear of the car)

I'm working on an interface cable to allow access to the HD data without having to crack the heatsink.
Go to Top of Page

scottf200

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2007 :  05:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon_GWG

{snip}(FM modulator was useless for me on both my cars with antennas near the rear of the car){snip}
related to this see my 600c related post:
Direct connect FM modulator better than iWay's FM

iWay 600c owner
Chicagoland, IL

Edited by - scottf200 on 17 mai 2007 05:57:45
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2007 :  08:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've installed dozens of hard-wired modulators - I was just hoping that it would be at least as useful as the modulator on my satellite radio (in the same cars).
Go to Top of Page

ST-Bob

USA
3706 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2007 :  13:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the FCC bowed to pressure from the NAB (who's member stations are losing billions in advertizing to satellite radio), they cracked down on manufacturers producing non-complying FM modulators.

From the web: "The NAB tested 17 FM modulators and found that 14 of the 17 were operating illegally. The NAB claims they use too much power and have out-of-band emissions and that this cause severe problems for the broadcasters’ new digital radio (IBOC) service."

New FM modulator-equipped devices have all been pretty much been neutered now. Devices complying with the radiated power limit just don't reach as far anymore. Basically, they can not reach further than the confines of your personal vehicle without violating the rules. This pretty-much eliminates most of the radiated FM modulators from the list of truly "useful" gadgets. Many cars today have those little roof-mounted stick antennas and won't pick up the FM modulator at-all.

The only options now is to either direct-connect, use an in-line modulator, or cassette adapter.

Wanna read more? Check this link out

Massachusetts, USA
Go to Top of Page

bob06611

6 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2007 :  00:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also had problems with the unit re setting has anyone found the cause???... Try lower freq...88.3 88.9 works much better
Go to Top of Page

scottf200

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2007 :  04:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob06611

I have also had problems with the unit re setting has anyone found the cause???... Try lower freq...88.3 88.9 works much better

We should start another 'debugging' thread to narrow down the resetting issue and leave this one mainly to reviews. P.S. Lower freq didn't work for me. (I created the thread "iWay 600C bugs & reboots")

iWay 600c owner
Chicagoland, IL

Edited by - scottf200 on 20 mai 2007 03:23:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05