Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2295

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GPS Programming
 "Beta" GPS software
 MTK Loggers - Configuration software - BT747
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 50

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2009 :  23:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mdeweerd at 03/06/2009 : 22:40:38

That quote concerns the "NMEA Output" settings (not "NMEA File")
Yes, I know that.

quote:
Originally posted by cdgmol at 02/17/2009 : 14:07:26

Note. That automatic (dis)connecting is an option at the Input settings and should be enabled (for power saving reasons).

GpsGate is controlling and managing inputs and outputs and that option activates/starts the connection if a program "ask" for that BT device. It's a very useful program, so it's certainly not a waist of money if this BT747 setting was the solution for my BT connection problem. But in that case it had saved me a lot of time, if I had done that setting correctly (long time ago).

Well, I don't want to test that at my DX900 because I should uninstall GpsGate. But I can do this test with my iPAQ rx5935 where I had to start the BT connection before starting BT747. I've set the 'NMEA Output' according to the screenshot (without fully understanding the impact). But connecting to the Q1000P was negative. Then I realizes me that it are device settings. So exit and manually starting the BT connection (as usual) confirms that. And that "Nothing is set at the moment" was incorrect.
At NMEA Output the items RMC, GGA, GSA and GSV are (now) set to 1, the others 0.
And at Flsh the settings are 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 1 and 0.
Note. It's not easy to (quickly) understand the info about Flash and NMEA Output.

But not setting any item to 1 at NMEA Output was not the reason for my BT connection problem.

Chris

Edited by - cdgmol on 06 mars 2009 23:54:28
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2009 :  10:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Normally, after a power (not just on/off) cycle or 'factory reset', the NMEA output settings should correspond to the flash settings.
The Flash Settings determine the values at 'reset' of the device. These can be modified dynamically and this is reflected in 'NMEA Output' that should correspond to the actual behaviour.
The values correspond to intervals related to the fix frequence.
A value of '0' means that the sentence is never sent. A value of '1' means that it is sent on every fix. A value of '3' means it is sent at every third fix.

If you set your fix frequency to 5Hz and you set GSV, GSA and RMC to 1, then you'll get the position data AND the satellite data over the serial link at 5Hz. That might be too much data for the receiving software to handle and it does consume more energy. What is of interest is of course the position data (RMC). Therefore, it is more appropriate to set the GSA and GSV intervals (or periods) to 5 and leave RMC at 1. In that case you get the satelite data at 1Hz (once every second) and the position data at 5Hz (with the Fix frequency of 5Hz). If you want to log at 5Hz but update your navigation software only once per second, then you need to set the RMC period to 5 too.

The problem I observed was that when all (regular) sentences were set to 0, the GPS Logger did no longer respond to any of the requests from the SW. My guess is that the bluetooth connection is only activated when one of the standard NMEA sentences is to be sent and that the reply to the request of the SW is sent during that activation time. In the absence of standard sentences, the emission is not activated and nothing happens.

The fact that changing this does not change your connection problem is consistent with my not understanding how GPSGate could solve that problem.

P.S.: Since this is a public forum, I try to be as precise as possible and remove ambiguity from the explications, hence my precision regarding NMEA file and NMEA output ;-).

Edited by - mdeweerd on 07 mars 2009 10:21:37
Go to Top of Page

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2009 :  15:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mario for your detailed explanation about the settings.
Note. To be sure that there is no misunderstanding: "Nothing is set at the moment" was noticed when there was no connection with the device and therefore it was incorrect.

I was hoping that the BT747log.bin file contains all GPS data (depending on the selections at FMT). However, the new created NMEA files still contain only RMC, CGA and ZDA sentences. But changing the GSA and/or GSV settings at 'NMEA File' and/or 'NMEA Output' does not change the "records estimated" at the FMT tab.

Are the 'NMEA File' settings/selections influences the saving of data in the logger?
Or are that settings perhaps only involved when downloading the data?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2009 :  19:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NMEA File nor NMEA Output settings influence the data that is logged.

To control what is logged for a position, you need to tick boxes on the main 'FMT' tab.
You select satellite data through NSAT, SID, ELEVATION, AZIMUTH and SNR. When SID is actif (Satellite ID), then you'll be able to select ELEVATION, AZIMUTH and SNR.
BT747 only writes the GSA and GSV sentences if SID data is available (and you selected these sentences in NMEA File) and SID is selected in Filter/FMT.

I just tried one of my logs where all fields are logged in BT747 1.68.4 and I do get tha GSA and GSV sentences. That should be the case for earlier versions too if you can select GSA and GSV in the NMEA File settings.

Go to Top of Page

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2009 :  20:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SID has not been enabled so far, so I need a new vacation.

A few hours ago I was finally starting with the desktop version. I've read the README.txt and tried run_j2se.bat, but that generates "Could not .... bt747.j2se_view.BT747Main".
I don't know if a wrong or not available "Serial Port driver" can cause this.
Or do I have to install SuperWaba?

Note. I've searched this topic and looked at SourceForge, but could not find some (more detailed) installation instructions for the desktop version.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2009 :  21:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chris
In the mean time, I made 1.68.4 the stable release - I do not know how many hours ago you looked ;-).

Your issue would be related to the classpath being incorrect when java is launched. Make sure you are using 1.68.4. The first line of run_j2se.bat can be changed to 'echo on'.
You can also do 'run_j2se.bat debug' to get the messages in the command console.
Send me the transcript with 'echo on' if you still have trouble.

It is easier to launch the desktop version from http://bt747.free.fr/content/?q=webinstall .

I've revisited the NMEA output and it seems that I should writhe the GSA string if HDOP, VDOP or PDOP. I've made the code change, will test it and release it in the coming days.
Go to Top of Page

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  00:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very "funny" results. I started V1.68.4 from the same location as before:
F:\Internet Data\_Data diversen\Diversen GSM & GPS\MTK GPS info & tools\BT747\Unpacked

With "run_j2se.bat debug" the following result:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: $MEM_HEAP_OPTION
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: $MEM_HEAP_OPTION
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: $MEM_HEAP_OPTION. Program will exit.

Due to the very long path in the "echoed" lines, I moved all to F:\ BT747_dt.
With "run_j2se.bat debug" the result looks the same.
But then (still from the command console) I run the batch file without debug and a few seconds after the last line with F:\BT747_dt>endlocal, BT747 was started!
When I double-click at run_j2se.bat in this folder, BT747 starts too. But from the folder with the long path the same error message as reported.
After renaming \BT747_dt to BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt_dt_BT747_dt_BT747_dt, it's still OK. So, the spaces in the path are causing that problem.

The total unpacked stuff is over 12 MB, what do I really need and what can I delete on my Windows XP system?

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  01:13:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$MEM_HEAP_OPTION should be %MEM_HEAP_OPTION% and appear on more lines - currently this was only in debug :-(.

Regarding the memory footprint - the source itself does not take a lot of the space, but the OS specific binaries do. It's already a small challenge to make sure all files that may be needed are there, so I'ld prefer not spending effort on indicating which system needs what. For the smallest footprint, webstart is the best solution.

I am building 1.68.5 with the GSA sentence being more verbose and an update to the windows startup script.
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  12:13:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Following the modification, 1.68.5 works with a space in the path name (C:\Program Files\BT747) - I did not try before the modification.
Go to Top of Page

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  14:35:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario, I've just seen your last posts, but this is not a response to that.

There is a new obstacle. BT747 is running now, but connection via USB fails.
I've updated the CP210x driver from V4.4 to V5.4. In Device Manager now under 'Ports' the following description: "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge (COM12)".
Note. Before the update, the driver was listed under 'USB-controllers'.

Qstarz PC Utility V3 connection is OK. Port settings in Device Manager are default 9600-8-no-1-no, after changing 9600 to 115200 still no connection.
In the BT747 documentation at SourceForge I saw "The trickiest part is the serial link driver with the application (RxTx)". Is that perhaps true for my situation with the COM12 driver too?

So, I started run_rxtx.bat and that starts the PDA version. Trying to connect seemed to fail too, till I disconnect the USB cable, powered the Q1000P off/on en reconnected the cable. Then set 'Connect Port Nbr' to 12, clicking and it works. So, the system port settings and the CP210x driver are OK.
And "set RXTXPATH" is in both batch files.

What should I do or try to get the desktop version connection working?

[Edit/added]
I've a connection now with desktop version too.
After trying again today, I tried run_rxtx.bat and that was negative too. After power off/on it was OK. But trying DT version now also. The "problem" is very likely that the device should not be in power save mode.

[Added]
However, that lazy device is going to sleep after a few minutes when connected to the DT version. Same test with PDA version with same result.

Chris

Edited by - cdgmol on 08 mars 2009 15:03:06
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  15:31:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is quite strange - would it be the device driver then?

RXTX just needs a serial port - on windows the 'COM' port is accessed - it is not important how this is provided.
It is strange that the device goes to 'sleep' because the desktop version (and I think the PDA version too) continuously requests information (memory usage). You can see that if you activate debug and then look at the 'info' window.

Could you revert to the previous CP210x driver to see if you get the problem there too.

In general there is no reason to update a driver if it is doing what you want - especially a driver like this one.
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  15:35:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the driver release notes and possibly the update in 5.3 is having an impact
https://www.silabs.com/Support%20Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Win2K_XP_S2K3_Release_Notes.txt
Go to Top of Page

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  18:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a "cross reply", I'll continue now with the driver and GPS sleeping problem.

BT747 desktop remarks.
'Log by' at 'Device settings' is not read from the GPS.
Correction: caused by falling in sleep of GPS! No, not true too.
Ignore this remark until the sleeping problem is solved.

It would be nice if more "GPS Device Data" were shown.

NMEA File settings are not "period" items.
Note. I would have to look for it, but you know it: are that BT747 program settings or saved in the GPS? If GPS setting, then they are not read too.

Can you sort the language selection alphabetically?
At the second selection (why needed?) is see twice "it" and (once) "nl", but "nl_nl" and "nl_nl" too. So, you should check that or remove that second "cryptic" selection.
After changing language, it's probably only effective after a restart; not very convenient.

Would it be more logical or convenient for moving the tabs, to have the right arrow at the right and the left one at the left side? Or double arrows at both sides?

I've only looked "shortly" at the Dutch "version", mainly because I will keep using English. Not only because I'm so familiar with that, but "discussing" would be much more difficult.
Nevertheless, some remarks.

At "Files To Tag" a lot is not translated (yet). But "file" ---> "bestand" needs more space! And "tag" ---> "bestempelen als" needs not only much more space, but most people perhaps don't understand that!

At 'Uitvoer instellingen" (4th tab) I see "Language" and "Add"; but don't translate "trackpoint". And perhaps the same understanding problem with "Eén bestand per weg". The correct translation of "track" is "spoor" ("weg" is "road"), but whether or not translating track is "to be discussed".

At 'Device settings' I see twice "Lengtegraad", one should be "Breedtegraad". "Volatile Settings" is English.

Next tab all Bluetooth items are still UK.

Dutch "duur" (or "periode") is a correct translation of the UK indication "period". But both indications were not fully clear to me, until your explanation at 03/07/2009 : 10:19:52. In my opinion it is a "factor" or "ratio" and, very remarkable, correct for both languages!

At the next tab (advanced file) too much not translated.

I thought that file format conversion was possible (you suggested that recently due to the GPSBabel problem). But when I click at one of the 6 "Convert" options or at "Convert to", I got an error message about "Could not find" the BT747log.bin file. That is correct for the current situation, but for a conversion from e.g. GPX to NMEA an "invalid" message.
If "Convert to" is the equivalent of the 7 "To ..." buttons in the PDA version, then "Convert" should be "Convert from" and the buttons should do something else.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

cdgmol

Netherlands
85 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  20:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mario, as you perhaps already know, I'm a safe worker. Restoring the old driver was rather easy, only a matter of restoring a previous Registry and renaming 2 folders (usually, I don't delete the old folder, but keep it for some time after renaming). The disadvantage of this driver (and reason for updating), is that I can't use the GPS connected by USB cable anymore with GpsGate (unless there is a possibility like rxtx?).

Well, I suppose that I've to use COM12 because with (nearly) all other ports BT747 does not respond to "Connect". However, a sleeping GPS does not wake up. As with the new driver, after a power off/on the connection is OK. But after a few minutes without BT747 actions, the GPS is sleeping again.
So, it seems to be not related to the driver, but the program should do something to wake up the GPS and keeps doing that at least once every 2 minutes.
Maybe I have to look if GpsGate could do that (as with the BT connection on my PPC).
Note. An important question could be: is the Q1000P the only one with a power saving mode? I suppose not, so am I the only one with this problem?

Some information about GpsGate. I've bought both the PC and the PPC version. It is an input and output manager for all kind of connections (Serial, BT, ActiveSync, TCP/IP, etc). And, as you know, it can connect/enable the BT connection that is not manually possible at my DX900. But it has a NMEA logger and player too and send that output to e.g. a (virtual) COM port. That means that in this way, I can "fool" every program that uses (only) real-time GPS data, with my saved GPS data. So, I could replay my tracks in e.g. 'Route 66'.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2009 :  20:27:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Chirs
In the Desktop version, you can see a "simplified" transcript of the communication in the 'INfo' tab if you activate debug (Settings -> GPS Debug).
YOu should see that BT747 sends requests "all the time" and gets responses. Sentences sent are indicated with '>' in the transcript and those received are introduced with '<'.
It could be that there is a specific 'keep awake' command but that is something to learn from the communication of a program with which the device doesn't seem to get to sleep - I did not notice one up to now.

Waht is certains is that youare the first one to talk about this.

I've used other means to replay GPS data a while ago using a 'complicated' setup and there is a PC program that can replay a log internally (can't find it back though) and show the satellites in view and in use.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 50  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,56 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05