Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2319

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Mio AIO Forums - www.mionav.com
 [TOPIC] Mio C520 - Slim HD GPS - Reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 40

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2007 :  23:57:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED20070420
REVIEWED - MIO 2007 AIOs : C320/C320T/C520/C520T
4.3 HD Screen - MioMap v3.3 - "Slim" Form Factor - Split Screen

C320T : TMC
C520 : MP3, Pictures, Hands Free, Stereo Bluetooth
C520T : C520 + TMC

Reviewed here -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=222

Useful Links : Unlocking the C520 - C520 Tips and Tricks

The new family of Mio AIOs was first shown at the CES show in January 2007, see this thread, then announced officially at CeBIT in March. Come mid-April and the first models are available in Europe, the C320 and C520t. They have yet to appear on the Mio USA website, but so is the C220 already available in stores and discussed here so hopefully it will soon be the case. I received a C520t test unit this week and will share a detailed picture review with a "pros" and "cons" analysis.

Full review is here on the portal -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=222

Questions,comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

vjuhasz

15 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  21:10:57  Show Profile  Visit vjuhasz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thank you for the review. Exciting news!

My questions:
1. Any information where it is available for purchase? (possibly from the UK)
2. This version can be hacked with the exsiting methods to get to the Win CE interface, or not?

Thank you.
Val

Val
http://www.newcomersguideusa.com
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  22:11:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks.
It's avalable in Belgium and France at this point, the UK can't be too far away.
Haven't looked at WinCE customization yet. It should, however the C520t does not start an ActiveSync session on the PC so it might be a bit cumbersome to implement.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

vjuhasz

15 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  22:42:17  Show Profile  Visit vjuhasz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Do you know which stores carry the 520T in France or Belgium (possibly with online ordering option)?

I also saw pictures of the 520T, showing the full route on the split screen.
See image here
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/163/352242011_da0c728e25.jpg?v%200
How can this be implemented?

Does the 520T support proximity alerts (e.g. can alert you at your custom POIs, e.g. when driving close to your friends' houses)

Thanks, Val

Val
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2007 :  00:14:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That picture looks familiar ;-) It dates back to CES, probably an early version, no such feature on the shipping model.

You can order it from here -> FNAC, but I'm not sure it has the UK Premium TMC included.

Go to Top of Page

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2007 :  09:29:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What resolution ís the c520t screen?

Howdoes the hardware compare with the nüvi 660 and how does the mapping software compare with Garmin's? I was quite impressed by iGo at Cebit.

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden
Mio c520t, Garmins iQue 3600, Nüvi 660, 76CS, 60CSx, GPS10, GPS18
Go to Top of Page

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  09:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw the Mio c520T at FNAC in Brussels (Rue Neuve) yesterday. They are in stock.

What impresses me the most is the resolution of the screen and how light the device is. As a Nüvi 660 was besides the Mio, it was easy to make comparisons. Street names appear much earlier on the Mio while zooming in than on the Nüvi. This is partially due to better resolution but also to the way display graphics are implemented. The outlines of roads are less simplified on the Mio than on the Garmin. This can make a difference when it comes to understandning complex junctions.

The Mio is really slow when working the menues. Map zooming and panning works fast though and finger panning of the map on the screen works better than on the Nüvi where it can be erratic.

GPS reception at FNAC (which is on the top floor at Rue Neuve) was good for both devices with noticeably better dB levels and more sats for the Nüvi with its flip out antenna. No doubt however, that the Mio will work well in a car (besides an external antenna can be connected - which I often use).

The Mio suction cup stand is clumsy and large whereas the Nüvi can also be mounted on a foot pad fixed to the car dash which makes for a minimalistic installation. (It wasn't obious to find a dash stand for the Nüvi. Maybe it's the same for the Mio).

It appears that the Mio is restricted to the use of a single via point in routes just like the Nüvi. At least that's what the sales people said. The manual mentions that the route can contain "via points" although it never explicitly says how many can be handled.

I've been using the Nûvi 360 and 660 in my car with BT. The weakest point is microphone input level. One can use an external microphone but that adds one more item and a cable. Remains to be seen how the microphone works on the Mio.

When driving fast, the noise level can make it difficult to hear the oher party with the Nüvi 660. The additional speaker in the Mio holder should help in this respect.

The TMC receiver is integrated in the Mio holder which is nice since the Nüvi solution with an external receiver and an antenna wire to be hung at the windshield is untidy. Remains to be seen how well the Mio reciver works.

The iQue 3600 is still my favorite GPS for car nav. My wife won't accept the user interface so she uses the Nüvi 660. I'm thinking of abandoning Garmin for the Mio. In part this is because I find the Nüvi screen display unesthetic and giving too little detail.

If a neat dash mount was available, it would make the decision to go for the Mio easier.

(PS the price was OK, but going down to -1 the price was -100. Edit: At Carrefour on May 16 it was a further -100 euros)

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden

Edited by - jonasolof on 16 mai 2007 23:00:27
Go to Top of Page

vjuhasz

15 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  10:53:19  Show Profile  Visit vjuhasz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jonasolof,

"It appears that the Mio is restricted to the use of a single via point in routes just like the Nüvi. At least that's what the sales people said."

The Mio CAN have multiple via points, and also does route optimization, unless the nuvi which can handle only one viapoint. Mio sales people should know their product better.

Also you are right the navigation information displayed by the nuvi is not very much compared to the Mio, which makes it much more practical in everyday use.

Val
Go to Top of Page

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  11:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you already using it? What about the slow menu actions?

OK, if you tell me I can make a neat dash mount I'm ready for the Mio. If there isn't any, one could probably rebuild a garmin GPS holder. Many mounts for older models are sold at a discount. Since suction cup mounts for the windshield are prohibited in certain places, Mio should offer an alternative.

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  13:31:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The dash mount shouldn't be a problem as the cradle uses the standard 4 prong HR connector. If anything you can get a custom Brodit mount for your car with an adaptor.

Go to Top of Page

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  14:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, gpspassion.

Will it be possible to use iGO maps with the c520t? Impressive show at cebit and lots of interesting developments, including road mapping with 3D topographics.

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  14:23:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well MioMap is based on iGO 2006. What they showed at CeBIT was iGo 8 and that's not available at this time so there's no way to know whether there will be an upgdrade down the road. The graphics works well as it is, they need to improve a few features though, TMC management, adding of POIs, etc...

Go to Top of Page

kiwiblade

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2007 :  08:28:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the chance to play around with the Mio in the Netherlands yesterday (price € 449). The freezing of the screen (without knowing whether your input was accepted or was being processed) annoyed me the most.

I am used to TomTom for navigation. What struck me was the (enormous?) amount of information that was thrown at you while using the 520T, a bit confusing. Moreover, to hit a menu-button on screen was already difficult standing in front of it, let alone doing this in a (moving) car.

What I liked is the possibility to store a tracklog for later or offline usage. Haven't seen much info on that feature.

Cheers,

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

MoonBear

424 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2007 :  17:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tracklog feature is in MioMap / iGo for sure.
Go to Top of Page

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  11:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be good to have the reported weak points more investigated.

How serious is the slow reaction to user input? An address search demands user input in several steps. If each step involves a 15 second freeze it becomes unacceptable.

What's wrong with TMC in the c520t? Can you cross country borders and have it work without manual input? (As you enter a new country, TMC doesn't know you did so it will lock onto the old country as long as FM transmittor RDS signals are received. The process can be speeded up somewhat by starting a new search).

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94049 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2007 :  13:18:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you're asking or commenting on the so-called "weak points" ?

Typically, screen freeze/slow response are random problems so they're hard to characterize and may depend on a host of factors. All I can say is that they have not been a problem for me overall and I pop in the C520t each time I use my car.

Nothing is "wrong" with TMC, it's just that it offers basic controls unlike the TomTom and Garmin interfaces, which is too bad since the receiver is highly sensitive. If my comments above aren't enough, read the feedback about TMC in the C710 thread.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 40 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05