Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Mio AIO Forums - www.mionav.com
 [TOPIC] Mio C220 - Experiences/reviews
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Team GpsPasSion

169 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2007 :  02:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Team GpsPasSion's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Mio C250, same form factor as the C220

Software and Map versions:
"The miomap is v3.2 feb 21 2007
The State maps say 2006.10 (2006 Tele Atlas N.V.[070115] states
The Basemap is 2006.01 NIMA VMAP0 [060802]
Navagation engine Nav N Go Kft
Hope this is usefull!" - Posted by kturley

Using MioMap v3.2 skins : details here

Unlocking the C220 : details here

b]Original Post[/b] : so I'm looking to replace my old Ipaq/Pharos Ostia solution with an all-in-one, and the Mio looks just about right... it's bothersome moving the GPS mouse between three cars, and now I've pinched the cable on the second mouse, what a pain.

But then I stumble on this, the Mio C220, it looks pretty sleek, like a Nuvi. Is this new on the market? Any comparisons to the C310x?
link

It looks like it does not have the MP3 player built in...

Should I be the first one to buy it? I'd like to know if it's "hackable".

Ads

ES0090

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2007 :  03:11:03  Show Profile  Visit ES0090's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also read they shipped with newer maps, perhaps that meant only in Europe. I know someone that purchased one, I will have them check once its delivered

Edited by - ES0090 on 12 avr. 2007 03:22:05
Go to Top of Page

ES0090

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2007 :  18:03:58  Show Profile  Visit ES0090's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Mio has started the roll of new products for the warmer driving months ahead. They have the new C320 and C520 planned for later in the spring, but the new C220 snuck onto the Circuit City website and is officially listed at the Mio Euro site. The unit features the new Mio Map software, and most notably the new TeleAtlas map sets."
Go to Top of Page

kturley

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2007 :  06:46:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my c220 from CC.
I like it so far and it is very fast. Recalcs are dead on and sigal aquisition took only seconds!

Just hope someone can figure out how to get into the WINCE v5.0 so I can add mp3 and pic viewer!

The miomap is v3.2 feb 21 2007
The State maps say 2006.10 (2006 Tele Atlas N.V.[070115] states
The Basemap is 2006.01 NIMA VMAP0 [060802]
Navagation engine Nav N Go Kft
Hope this is usefull!
Go to Top of Page

MidLifeinMI

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2007 :  14:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I visited Circuit City last week with the purpose of reviewing/buying a C310X, only to find that they had discontinued it and had replaced it with the C220. After a few comparisons in the store, I started feeling like a victim of the old "bait and switch" - other than the new maps and 1 year of included traffic cam reports (pretty useless here in the US), the C220 seemed to have *less* features (no MP3, maps only on the SD card, no data cable) for *more* money ($249US vs. $199). I ended up ordering the C310x off the CC site just before they sold out.
Go to Top of Page

mickey1987

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 13 avr. 2007 :  23:36:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The State maps say 2006.10 (2006 Tele Atlas N.V.[070115] states"

Maps are from 2006.10 and its now 2007.4!

Whats taking so long for them to release the update???
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2007 :  11:41:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2007.4 maps don't exist, the latest TeleAtlas maps are 2007.1 at this point and only in beta testing as far as I know. Anyway as discussed at length in the "map problems" thread the actual updating that takes place between various generations is anyone's guess and neither TA nor NT communicate on what's new and improved. In many areas the TA 2006.10 maps are a retread from the 2005.2 maps with old problems previously fixed reappearing...

Since the C220 is clone of the C250, I've been using it in Europe since the end of last year, I'll agree with MidLifeinMI that it is step back. The buttons are gone, the 1Gb flash too (it might still have 64Mb though if memory serves) and it generally feels "cheaper".

Big surprise...there is no way Mio could sustain the $199 price point on a high-end unit like the C310x. That price was likely a combination of "breaking into the US market" and selling a 6+ month old device that had made it's money in Europe where it was sold almost 3x the price.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

f1ip

5 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2007 :  12:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks like Staples will sell these C220 for $199 starting next week, less with 12% off coupon.
Too bad i already have my c310x.
Go to Top of Page

kturley

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 16 avr. 2007 :  16:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could one of the people who knock the c220 Please post the difference in specs so readers could see why you seem to believe the C310x is so much better.

My c220 has internal memory where I am storing my most common maps and it plays MP3, vids, and Pics from the memory card fine. I like the interface and so far the only thing I would change is make the speaker louder. Are the processors so much differerent? And is internal memory so important? The C310x in it's white IPOD'ish dress looks "cheaper" to me.

Edited by - kturley on 16 avr. 2007 16:22:56
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 avr. 2007 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been discussed above, no need to react like that, just sick to the facts. It's not a bad unit, it's just an entry level unit that was built with cost in mind when the Cx10 were mid to top-range units. The build is different, the buttons are gone, the hard reset switch too, the internal flash has gone down from 1/2Gb to, the lack of built-in TMC (C710 in Europe), Bluetooth (C510 in Europe) etc...there are some side by side pictures here in the FRA forums.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

johnner1999

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2007 :  05:03:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
does the c220 have the same shortcomings as the c310x with address not being accurate (100-400 feet off from the real world address)

Go to Top of Page

mickey1987

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 17 avr. 2007 :  09:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question for anyone who has the new C220!

How many MB's are the new maps? I heard it was under 1GB?
Go to Top of Page

kturley

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 19 avr. 2007 :  04:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How far off are the location pointer to actual?
I find it about 10 - 15 Meters. Im in florida.

All the maps except 4 fit on the 1 gb SD card included.
There were 4 maps internal Maine, and 3 others. (cant remember because I moved them off to my HD and just loaded Florida, Georgia, waterway, and Basemap to the internal memory)I do not travel out of Florida very often and wanted some CSI episodes on th SD card. I can put them on the SD if I travel cross Country.

Go to Top of Page

chodaboy

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2007 :  20:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those who have the C220 in hand:

What comes bundled in the box? Does it include an AC adapter?
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2007 :  21:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the Mio c220 display speed,heading,elevation and time?
I have not been able to find these anything on the specs for this. I even downloaded the manual, doesn't say. Not enough simple info out thereon this product.
Go to Top of Page

lost-in-space

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  01:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No AC adapter or USB cable. No biggie, I am using my Power supply and cable from my Motorola V360 phone

TomTom 540TM

Edited by - lost-in-space on 23 avr. 2007 01:54:59
Go to Top of Page

chodaboy

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  09:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well I got to play around with one over at CC today. The one at CC was running Mio Map 3.2 and the maps were dated 2006.10. But this could be because it was the demo unit on display. The Mio Map software works exactly like that on our C310x. The only difference I saw was that there was no MP3 player icon on the top-level homepage (just Setup and Mio Map.) Everthing else works exactly the same. However, one bad point on the C220 is that there doesn't seem to be a way of adjusting the volume unless you drill down into two levels of menus. The only hard button on the unit is the on-off switch. There are no other buttons on the unit. This is kind of a deal killer for me as I have been use to adjusting the volume down while driving when I navigate home and finally reach a street that I am familiar with. With the C220, the only practical option would be to turn the unit off since having to navigate the menus while driving is pretty distracting. With the volume buttons on the C310x, I can turn down the volume by feel without having to take my eyes off of the road.

Go to Top of Page

fhall1

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  13:21:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No USB cable!! How do they expect you to update the device? Buy a new SD card each time?
Go to Top of Page

MoonBear

424 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  15:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't expect you to update or unlock it. They expect you to upgrade to Mio Cx30 by the time you got used to this entry level toy.
Go to Top of Page

entheos

5 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  15:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just purchased the c220 at Circuit City, and to answer some of your questions, it has a "soft" mute button, volume is on a menu. No USB cord included, though it takes the standard miniUSB to regular USB-A (flat) connector. Not sure if it really has 1 GB of internal flash memory as it comes with the entire U.S. on a SD card. Without the card, there are only 4 states built in, but since it is not an MP3 player, there is no real reason to take it out. The thinking here might be if you need an update or a different country's map, buy another card. There is no real reason to plug this thing into your computer anyway besides O/S recovery.

This is my first auto GPS navigator. I don't think the elevation is able to be displayed in "cockpit view" but many other things are and it is a little customizable. The speedcam options are numerous and kind of neat to see something with this more European concern, though I'm sure the speedcam's are becoming more prevalent here in the Midwest also. I think it works quite well and the maps are very up to date. Some addresses are more accurate than others and the navigation is also good or takes you on some oddball route. It recalcuates quickly though when you ignore it. More questions?
Go to Top of Page

dxmusagps

23 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  16:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 310x and checked out the c220 at CC. One thing that I noticed about the c220 is that its lcd screen doesn't have the brightness level of the 310x. It seems two steps from the max level of my 310x. I checked the settings and all were set to max level and set for daylight hour display. That to me is a negative.

Dennis
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  19:06:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 310x and have liked it except for the old maps. I went ahead and bought a c220 yesterday from staples. I don't really see this as a low end GPS the screen is just as bright as my c310x, and the maps are very up to date. I have moved the maps off the c310 to the c22o with a little hacking and now my 310 is up to date as well. For 200.00 I now have a new gps and the maps updated on my C310x. What a deal!!
Go to Top of Page

GillesRenaud

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - 23 avr. 2007 :  22:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does a C220 have maps of Canada ? Is there a Canadian model ?

Gilles au Québec
XL IQ
Go to Top of Page

chodaboy

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2007 :  00:14:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entheos

I just purchased the c220 at Circuit City, and to answer some of your questions, it has a "soft" mute button, volume is on a menu.

Yeah, that's true, there is a speaker icon on the main navigation cockpit display that you could use to silence the device. I hadn't thought of that.

quote:
Not sure if it really has 1 GB of internal flash memory as it comes with the entire U.S. on a SD card. Without the card, there are only 4 states built in, but since it is not an MP3 player, there is no real reason to take it out. The thinking here might be if you need an update or a different country's map, buy another card. There is no real reason to plug this thing into your computer anyway besides O/S recovery.

This kinda makes sense from a manufacturer's distribution perspective. Makes it much easier to package up different flavors of the same device, you just slap in a different card before putting it into the box instead of having to deal with different loads on the internal storage.

Edited by - chodaboy on 24 avr. 2007 00:19:32
Go to Top of Page

chodaboy

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2007 :  08:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Information page on the C220 is up on Mio's site now BTW. Nothing we don't really already know, but at least they're updating the site now.
Go to Top of Page

alehouse

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  09:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody got the C220 with 2007.1 maps? Settings>about mio>maps> ,it will either say 2006.10 or hopefully 2007.1 after the state.

HTC Desire - NUVI - Ipaq 314
Go to Top of Page

MoonBear

424 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  17:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing MioMap 3.3 in Europe site specification.

http://www.mio-tech.be/en/gps-navigation-products-mio-C220-specifications.htm

Can anyone confirm the MioMap version number in USA unit? It's in MioMap / Settings (Tool Icon) / About.
Go to Top of Page

HammerRock

7 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  19:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got the C220 at Staples. Any luck getting it to work as an MP3 player or picture/movie viewer?
Go to Top of Page

fhall1

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HammerRock...if you just got the 220, how about answering MoonBear's question.
Go to Top of Page

HammerRock

7 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  20:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question... um... I haven't exactly taken it out of the box yet!

I like hacking things to give them added (not illegal) features... cell phones, Tivo's, ect... I wanted to check out what I could do with it first. the other option was the TomTom One for $50 more at CC.
Go to Top of Page

TwettyB

1 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  21:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ver 3.2 feb21 2007
Go to Top of Page

fhall1

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2007 :  23:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TwettyB - that's not the map version, that's the version of the Miomap software that does the routing, etc.

Settings/About/Maps button you should see something like
Alabama 2005.2
Datasource 2006 TeleAtlas NV [060915]

We also want to know the number after the state name and the number in the brackets.

Thanks

Edited by - fhall1 on 25 avr. 2007 23:06:28
Go to Top of Page

HammerRock

7 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2007 :  00:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like, for example, Alabama 2006.10 [070115]

I still want to know how to get mp3s to work... hmmm...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2007 :  12:40:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See the first message for the map data inforamtion.

@HammerRock - check out the C220 customization thread.

@MoonBear - to me v3.3 was the "HD" adaptation for the C520t, see the separate review, but mayben not after all.

Go to Top of Page

jrebeiro

13 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2007 :  14:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the C220 and have been playing with it for a few days.

Things I have noticed:

• Volume is pretty low even when cranked all the way up.
  • The screen is pretty low res and has interference like the battery isn't powering it enough. My dvd player does the same thing when it runs low.
  • MioMap 3.2 is fast! Routes in seconds and animation is smooth.
  • No buttons except for power. Hard reset is done by holding the power button down for 10 seconds till screen goes blank, releasing, then holding down for another 10 seconds till it turns back on.
  • MioTransfer for C250 works with this unit.
  • I have been unable to get skins from this forum to work with the unit. They load but are rotated and start displaying halfway down the screen. It seems they think this unit is in Portrait mode while the touchscreen remains in Landscape mode. It's bizarre and I haven't gotten it to work properly.
  • I cannot get TomTom to run on it. When I run the exe it tells me it's "Not a Valid Windows CE Application". Maybe I'm just trying the wrong exe... I just copied it off my Treo after a new install.
  • Maps are pretty current in my area. This is the first GPS to ever get my home address correct. I guess the years of complaining to TeleAtlas finally paid off.
  • You can pick this unit up for $150 right now from Staples.com if you get a $50 off $200 coupon from eBay and add a $.49 box of paper clips to your order

Overall, I am extremely happy with the unit. I don't need all the media stuff so unlocking it is really a low priority for me. The only reason I would want it unlocked it to use some of the other mapping software I have purchased to use with my Treo. I just got tired of the crappy mount I have for the treo and having to carry around my Garmin bluetooth GPS with me. I wish there was a way to get Garmin Mobile XT to use the GPS in the Mio instead of tying itself to my bluetooth GPS.
Go to Top of Page

wsmeier

4 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2007 :  19:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's how I got the skins for the C310x to work on the C220. Paste the following into the pocket_pc.ini file found in the config folder of your new skin's data.zip:

[MIOC220]
gps_internal = 1
gps_protocol = "NMEA"
gps_com_port = 2
gps_com_port_speed = 4800
tmc_port = 1
tmc_speed = 38400
gx_width=320
gx_height=240
gx_format=160
gx_xpitch=2
gx_ypitch=640
gx_orientation=1
blight_min = 1
blight_max = 8
blight_reverse = 0
blight_smart = 4
blight_key_BatteryTimeoutBA = "BatteryTimeout"
blight_key_BatteryTimeoutAC = "ACTimeout"
blight_key_BacklightOnTapBA = "BacklightOnTap"
blight_key_BacklightOnTapAC = "ACBacklightOnTap"
blight_key_OnOffBA = "OnOff"
blight_key_OnOffAC = "ExtOnOff"
blight_setmode5 = 1

I copied this off the original data.zip on the C220 and it worked. It was truly a shot in the dark.

My other experiences with the C220 as compared to the C310x:

- The canada.fbl file for the C310 won't work; it's locked. I hope they'll make it available for this unit soon, if at all.
- The screen appears a bit washed out, particularly during daytime. The colors are just not as vivid as on the 310.
- Some of the routings using the fast setting have been truly bizarre. I'll try other settings to see if this improves.
- The "new" maps, even though they are from October of last year, don't incorporate many of the changes in my area that were in place long before then.
- It's sleek, very light weight, and the color suits my car's interior. It almost looks like a built-in accessory.

Cheers,

Walter
Go to Top of Page

jrebeiro

13 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2007 :  00:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Walter,

That worked like a charm! I am so grateful. I posted this information in the Skin Exchange thread so skin designers can add this to their skins!
Go to Top of Page

entheos

5 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2007 :  21:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just got back from a vacation to a place I've never been b4 (L.A.) and I really got a kick from using it. First the shortcomings, the screen is impossible to see in a convertible and you can't hear it on the freeways with the top down, the battery life seems short (a few hours). But these very unreasonable knocks aside, it performed flawlessly. It is so easy to use with just a little practice. The POI's makes it more valuable than the internet and they are dirt simple to navigate to. The directions were always spot on and always kept me out of traffic jams (I know it doesn't have a traffic channel, but it was a good luck charm). I can't believe how fast it calcs and recalcs directions! Maps were always accurate. This of course is not news to other Mio GPS owners (except the ones who want to put TOM-TOM software on their's) but I wouldn't walk across the street again without it
Go to Top of Page

EchoTony

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2007 :  01:32:56  Show Profile  Visit EchoTony's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi
The MioMap # is 3.2, Feb 21, 2007.
The maps are TeleAtlas 2006.10 [070115]
The Basemap is 2006.01 NIMA VMAPO 060802
Go to Top of Page

MoonBear

424 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2007 :  03:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@TweetyB, EchoTony

Thanks for the info. I wonder why it's different from Europe version or is it a mistake on Europe web site?
Go to Top of Page

Morkin

Netherlands
113 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2007 :  21:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's a mistake because v3.3 has a wide screen display, while the c220 has the normal 320x240 display.

Mio C710 - Miomap v3.2 - 01-03-2007 - unlocked - Mio Transfer hacked / ActiveSync 4.5
Go to Top of Page

LeDoc33

France
10 Posts

Posted - 10 mai 2007 :  14:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In europe (FR) the C220 (320-240 screen) contains miomap V3.3 (03/29/07) and skins made for V3.3 do not work. Files and folders are different in that new version.

C220 - Miomap V3.3 Mars 29 2007
Go to Top of Page

EchoTony

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 11 mai 2007 :  07:26:47  Show Profile  Visit EchoTony's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had my c220 for about one week. This is my first ownership experience with GPS.
My thoughts so far are very positive. Out of the box it worked. Turned it on, went outside and had signals in a few seconds, and it was giving me my location in under 2 minutes. After about 2 hours in my office window, I had 8 signals with solid levels.
I took the unit on an 800 mile round-trip into the Eastern Sierra of California. The maps were great. Not perfect (about 1/4 mile of the road going to Mammoth Mountain Ski area is incorrect), but the maps were amazingly complete and accurate in general.
I will say that the LCD can be difficult in mid-day sun, but otherwise it is clear and easy to read in the various modes/skins. I finally know the inaccuracy of my vehicle's spedometers.
POI's were pretty good. Although Costco in Rancho Cucamonga is on the West side of the I-15, not the East as indicated. That's like over 300 yards off the mark. Lame. But still useful to know the right exit and it was easy to see the place once I started looking around for a few seconds, and flip a U-turn. That asside, I thought it a great companion on a long trip I've done dozens of times.
The menu system is a bit quirky. Some actions are easy and others seem buried. I still don't know where stuff is located. I wouldn't think a c220 is the right gift for "mom & dad who can't programe their VCR clock."
Overall, the Mio c220 has proven to be a solid performer. If you are looking to get into GPS and want something useful at or below $200 US, this is the one for you.
Go to Top of Page

xanteen

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  17:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my C220 for about 24 hours and have one observation and one question-

-) When going from the setup program to MioMap, my unit has locked up 3 times and given a WinCE error message about "MioUtility.exe" performing an illegal operation.

?) Has anyone figured out how to increase the speed of the flyover on the c220?

Edited by - xanteen on 16 mai 2007 19:54:48
Go to Top of Page

bigpow

7 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2007 :  01:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked my c220 but it stopped working today.

I tried to connect it to a PC with a USB cable.
Windows XP recognized it and installed the MIO driver from CD.

When the battery was fully charged, I unplugged the GPS and then it stopped working.
Now it's stuck at main screen (GPS & settings buttons).

The error message is: Insert SD Card. Could not open \My Flash Disk\MioMap\data.zip

Anyone experience this problem before?

I guess it got corrupted when I removed it while connected to the PC (screen was showing PC & GPS connection at the time).

Any idea how to fix it?
I tried the restore Mio software from CD but it doesn't work. Now the PC can't see it (is it because it's not running GPS application?)
Go to Top of Page

EchoTony

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 19 mai 2007 :  01:26:49  Show Profile  Visit EchoTony's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BigPow:
Here's what I would do:

Try a hard restart. Hold the power button down for 10 seconds, and then do it again. That should be a hard boot. If that doesn't work. Drop the DVD into your PC's drive and then turn on the unit and connect to your PC via the USB.
Restore the MioMap software. This will run for about 45 minutes and then the progress bar will "hang" and not move anymore. Let it run for another 45 minutes to be sure. This is a known bug. Then unplug the c220 from the USB and do a hard boot again. You should be up and running. If not, the do the Restore Maps option from the DVD.

The restore miomap restore software has a known bug that hangs the installer. It has actually completed the install of the MioMap v3, but it is next supposed to install the maps, but it doesn't and gets hung-up. I spoke to Mio about it and they are working on a fix.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

bigpow

7 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2007 :  19:04:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. That did the trick.

It's weird... I will think twice connecting it to a PC in the future.
Go to Top of Page

EchoTony

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2007 :  23:00:13  Show Profile  Visit EchoTony's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigpow

Thanks. That did the trick.

It's weird... I will think twice connecting it to a PC in the future.

I thought the same thing after my run-in.

I just got a reply from Mio-Tech service:

"Unfortuneately, it is now necessary to send in your device to the repair center due to a slight glitch in the DVD download for that part of the operation. To prepare the report, please contact us via web or at 1-866-646-4477 with your serial number, mailing address, and telephone number. Thanks. -Mio Support. "

Thankfully, it seems to be working fine, except for the follow button - I liked the term "lock" better....

Go to Top of Page

ywcheung

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 27 mai 2007 :  16:15:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know Mio is trying to come up with a fix on mio c220 volume? Is there a way to hack into regedit register to change the volume. After setting maximum audio volume from setting and sound, it is still very low might be half of mio c310x volume. I cannot really hear it while I am driving (old age). That is the major problem for me in Mio c220. I guess one can pay more to get the c520. But it's voice seem not in clear voice at certain location. But it has bluetooth and tts. you can get discount price around $329 plus around $6 shipping in U.S. I really hope Mio fix this volume problem. I saw circuit city sales it for $179 5/27/07 and Circuit City and its $40 coupon for $199 purchase still good until 5/31/07 URL: http://www.divshare.com/download/534520-392
Go to Top of Page

Kaleva

2 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2007 :  07:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Team GpsPasSion

Unlocking the C220 : details here

Hi folks!

Sorry for the stupid question, but what does mean "unlocking" and what are the benefits behind that?
Go to Top of Page

Supremo

USA
2031 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2007 :  14:46:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Unlocking" means bypassing the direct startup of the MIO PNA's (personal navigation assistant) into the navigation software, instead having them boot into the core operating system (WinCE 4.2 in the case of the C310x, probably WinCE 5.0 in the case of the C220). This allows you to add PDA (personal digital assistant) programs such as movie players, contact managers, other PDA navigation software, etc. to your unit and greatly increase the functionality.

Moderator ... MIO, AIO Forums
Mio C310x,C520, Moov 300, Navigon 2100, Rightway GPS (various)
"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day- Teach a man to fish and he eats for life"
Go to Top of Page

Kaleva

2 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2007 :  04:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, thanks!

Just today got my own C220 from Fry's E. As far as I know it has an American map on SD card. But is it possible to buy a W. European map somewhere in the US?
Go to Top of Page

Supremo

USA
2031 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2007 :  04:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do some searching, I'm pretty sure I've read that someone here was able to buy a European SD card and make it work, but it may not have been in the C220.

"Give a man a fish and he eats for a day- Teach a man to fish and he eats for life"
Go to Top of Page

jim662

33 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2007 :  17:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On my unit, the computer places the addresses for residential address about 90 yards away from the actual address. (Around here, that's two or three houses off.) I've tried imputting residential addresses in Texas, Illinois and Florida and all of them are off. The business addresses seem OK. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I spoke with MIO tech support and they want me to complaint to TeleAtlas. If one address were off, I could see it being a problem with the maps, but since so many are off, it seems to me to be something wrong with the unit and how it places addresses/
Go to Top of Page

Supremo

USA
2031 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2007 :  17:40:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jim662: All the maps know about are the addresses at the beginning and end of the street. Individual addresses are interpolated from those end points. I've found that anything unusual with the local house numbering may confuse the algorithm, especially if the street is more than 1 block along and the numbers don't end at "xx99".

Go to Top of Page

jim662

33 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2007 :  18:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the maps not being accurate -- I corresponded with TeleAtlas and believe it or not, they took the blame. While errors are never welcome, I give the company credit for not passing the buck or giving some BS answer. They did indicate, however, that only certain areas are off in the addresses. What is the collective experience with the USA maps? Are the addresses wrong all across the country or do the rest of you see better mapping than I get in my area?

Also, am I right in my understanding that the speed limit feature does not work and will not work with the current set of maps? Has Mio indicated that it will provide a free-of-charge upgrade to fix these issues when new maps become available? I looking at the 310X materials, it seems as though they may be charging as much as $100 for new maps, whenever they become available.

I'm still within my return window. Are there any other things that don't work or that are wrong with the C220? I already know the screen is marginal -- a contrast control would have been really nice! Anything else?

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

sensia

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2007 :  02:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, here in NJ, maps are on the spot in most instances in my c220, in most cases within 10-20 feet. On the other hand this unit did some idiotic rerouting today while testing. Intentionally I took a wrong turn, c220 asked me to take U turn for a while before really recalculating another route to my home. Surprisingly, it routed me to a road I have never heard of, towards I95, directed me to travel couple miles in interstate before putting me back in right direction, which could have been picked up with lot less effort. My understanding is, setting a "fast" routing method can be really problematic at times.
Go to Top of Page

Chris53825

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2007 :  05:26:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sensia

For me, here in NJ, maps are on the spot in most instances in my c220, in most cases within 10-20 feet. On the other hand this unit did some idiotic rerouting today while testing. Intentionally I took a wrong turn, c220 asked me to take U turn for a while before really recalculating another route to my home. Surprisingly, it routed me to a road I have never heard of, towards I95, directed me to travel couple miles in interstate before putting me back in right direction, which could have been picked up with lot less effort. My understanding is, setting a "fast" routing method can be really problematic at times.

Edit by Moderator: no need for a quote when the original comment is immediately above yours...the Server thanks you

I find I get my best routes with economic mode

Edited by - Supremo on 14 juin 2007 00:37:24
Go to Top of Page

lborg

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2007 :  16:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother just got the C220 as a present and I was trying to preset locations for her but could not find an address book capability (like my Magellan has). Anyone know whether there is this capability. I've played with the unit and looked through the users manual and the mio site, but have not found anything telling me whether it has or doesn't have this capability.

By the way ... I do like this in some ways more than my Magellan, especially due to the fact that now that we have warmer weather, by GPS unit freezes in the heat and Magellan says it is out of warranty, even though I had only owned it in winter months.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Go to Top of Page

jim662

33 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2007 :  16:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you can accomplish an address book of sorts by creating your own POIs.
Go to Top of Page

EchoTony

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 juin 2007 :  19:30:25  Show Profile  Visit EchoTony's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would try this:

get to the "home" menu with the title "Mio Map v.3.2" in the top, and the door & hammer/wrench.
First option on left is "Address" with a little house. Select that.
Now you should see "Recent Cities" on the heading. If your town isn't already displayed, then use the "Other City" option in the right corner. Enter the Zip Code or City name.

Then it will ask you to <Enter Street Name>. Enter street Name. Select from list that pops up.
Then enter address. Press Done. This should put the flashing red cursor on the location.

If you were in "Cockpit" mode, you will need to go back to the "home" menu and select "Map". You should then be back at the address you just entered after selecting "Map". There's not enough room in the cockpit view to have the "Add POI" button.

Select the arrow in the lower right corner. This should bring up a menu along the bottom of the screen that will allow you to "Add POI" (on right). Enter the name of the location. Press Done. You will the be at the Edit My POI. Give it a group & icon. Now it should appear in the "My POI" menus.

While this process sounds and reads complicated -- after a few days of use, it isn't. It actually makes a bit of sense.

quote:
Originally posted by lborg

My mother just got the C220 as a present and I was trying to preset locations for her but could not find an address book capability (like my Magellan has). Anyone know whether there is this capability. I've played with the unit and looked through the users manual and the mio site, but have not found anything telling me whether it has or doesn't have this capability.

By the way ... I do like this in some ways more than my Magellan, especially due to the fact that now that we have warmer weather, by GPS unit freezes in the heat and Magellan says it is out of warranty, even though I had only owned it in winter months.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Go to Top of Page

handypacific

26 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2007 :  05:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you find the map version of the c220? I am not sure where it is located on the c220.
Go to Top of Page

mantisx

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2007 :  13:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@xanteen in regards to High Speed Flyover

if you add this to your data.zip you will get a popup message that asks you if you want a "High speed flyover?" if you answer yes it goes very fast without sound, if you answer no it goes normal speed with sound.

(more specifically your mapcockpit_320_240.ui file in the ui_mio folder inside the data.zip file, as always back up your data.zip file before making any changes)

<layer ui_cockpit_route>
<BUTTON btn_route_bypass w=105 x=84 y=0 z=2 text="Replan" font="tahomabd" valign="BOTTOM-6" align="RIGHT-6" bmp="btn_go_clr_12.bmp#3" fontsize=12 color=#444444 onrelease='run vCockpitCurrentQuickMenuCloseScript, run open_avoid_menu' twolineoffset=-8>
<BUTTON btn_route_delete w=105 x=202 y=0 z=2 text="Delete" font="tahomabd" valign="BOTTOM-6" align="RIGHT-6" bmp="btn_go_clr_8.bmp#3" fontsize=12 color=#444444 onrelease='INITMESSAGEBOX 1 "The route will be deleted." sc_delete_route' twolineoffset=-8>
<BUTTON btn_route_itiner w=105 x=84 y=65 z=2 text="Itiner" font="tahomabd" valign="BOTTOM-6" align="RIGHT-6" bmp="btn_go_clr_11.bmp#3" fontsize=12 color=#444444 onrelease='NEXTSTATE main_itiner' twolineoffset=-8>
<BUTTON btn_route_flyover w=105 x=202 y=65 z=2 text="Fly Over" font="tahomabd" valign="BOTTOM-6" align="RIGHT-6" bmp="btn_go_clr_7.bmp#3" fontsize=12 color=#444444 onrelease='INITMESSAGEBOX 2 "High Speed Flyover?" fly_over_speed fly_over_slow' twolineoffset=-8>
<BUTTON btn_route_edit w=105 x=84 y=130 z=2 text="Edit" font="tahomabd" valign="BOTTOM-6" align="RIGHT-6" bmp="btn_go_clr_9.bmp#2" fontsize=12 color=#444444 onrelease='vRouteEditedFlag.set 0,NEXTSTATE STF_ADVNAV_START' twolineoffset=-8>
<BUTTON btn_route_info w=105 x=202 y=130 z=2 text="Info" font="tahomabd" valign="BOTTOM-6" align="RIGHT-6" bmp="btn_go_clr_10.bmp#3" fontsize=12 color=#444444 onrelease='NEXTSTATE ST_MANAGE_ROUTE' twolineoffset=-8>
</layer>

<script fly_over_speed>
run vCockpitCurrentQuickMenuCloseScript
FINDPATH_SIMULATE 0
vStopFlyoverOnDone.set 0
STATE ST_NAVIGATE
</script>

<script fly_over_slow>
run vCockpitCurrentQuickMenuCloseScript
FINDPATH_SIMULATE 1
vStopFlyoverOnDone.set 0
STATE ST_NAVIGATE
</script>
Go to Top of Page

garygid

USA
1322 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2007 :  21:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect that the map versions are shown via a button
on the About screen, like on the C310x.
Go to Top of Page

Supremo

USA
2031 Posts

Posted - 16 juil. 2007 :  19:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
C'mon, can2000 - Map 'sharing' is strictly forbidden in this Forum, even though the license might allow it. Only maps downloaded from authorized Mio/Mitac sites are allowed here - and yes, I have verified this with GPSPassion (aka The Boss).

Go to Top of Page

topspeed

Austria
1 Posts

Posted - 18 juil. 2007 :  09:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought the C220 a few weeks ago.

Here in Austria it was delivered wih miomap V3.3 and including maps of Austria, Germany and Swizerland on the internal flash-rom. The map-license seems to be for Western-Europe, because the device recognized all the (downloaded)western-europe maps on a simple SD-Card, only maps of eastern-europe and usa/canada were locked.

In the package i bought was the mio c220, the tmc-unit, the car-mounting-unit,software on cd and an usb-cable.

Miotransfer was not included! I downloaded miotransfer for C250 at mio-homepage/downloads (only to find if language is set to italian or spanish!) and it works fine on C220. I also used miotransferhack250 and it works.

[Edit by Moderator - discussion of use of unlicensed software is forbidden by Forum rules]

Greetings from Austria
Dieter

Mio C220 V3.3
I am from Austria

Edited by - Supremo on 18 juil. 2007 12:59:09
Go to Top of Page

Ciffi2002

Austria
68 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2007 :  12:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!
Get my C220 last week.
Here in Austria it comes with MioMap V3.3.Mar 29 2007

Got it unlocked Mio Script 3.24.

Unfortunately file sytem in data.zip is different to version 3.2
so I'm not able to use different skins.

But my main problem is I can not get Speedcam Updates with miosync tool anymore

Anyone having an unlocked mio C220 can tell me how to solve
this problem

Thank's for any hints

Yours
Ciffi2002
Go to Top of Page

Albieb

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2007 :  23:01:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mio C220 GPS Navigation You pay: $99.99 we'll ship your order to you free of charge

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=176471&WT.mc_n=67&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=PRICEGRABBER&cm_pla=DATAFEED->PRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=67
Go to Top of Page

stuart185

Sweden
13 Posts

Posted - 27 déc. 2007 :  16:09:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hej,
Can anyone help with this:
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=103699
Machine is stuck in a bootup loop.
Go to Top of Page

Harpo

Sweden
184 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2008 :  00:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigpow

I really liked my c220 but it stopped working today.

I tried to connect it to a PC with a USB cable.
Windows XP recognized it and installed the MIO driver from CD.

When the battery was fully charged, I unplugged the GPS and then it stopped working.
Now it's stuck at main screen (GPS & settings buttons).

The error message is: Insert SD Card. Could not open \My Flash Disk\MioMap\data.zip

Anyone experience this problem before?

I guess it got corrupted when I removed it while connected to the PC (screen was showing PC & GPS connection at the time).

Any idea how to fix it?
I tried the restore Mio software from CD but it doesn't work. Now the PC can't see it (is it because it's not running GPS application?)

I have the same problem with my C220 exept that when i try the following posts tip my device says "disk full" and i can't do anything.

When i use filetransfer program for C250 i can transfer files to the SD-card but if i look at the flashmemory it shows nothing, and when i try to transfer anything to the flashmemory it also says "Not enough space for file transfer".

What could i do to fix this???.

Very greatful for any answers

Edit
Solution!?!? I had to send it to service for an software reinstallation,,,,For 5 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!

C220 Miomap 3.3 Olivercp/split skin and Miopocket 4.0 v63 SD-based - IGO8.3/diMKa 1.5.9 /Navigon Mn6/Mn7.5 reality view light, IGO Primo 1.1
SE X1 IGO8-IGO Primo

Edited by - Harpo on 10 mars 2008 00:17:35
Go to Top of Page

NCGuy41

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2008 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Visit NCGuy41's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm a new user with a question. I would like to know, assuming the C220 can do it in the first place, how to enter several delivery addresses and have the Mio figure out the best route for me.

In other words, I have delivery address A, B, C, D, E where E is the Last point and A-D are points in between where I am now and E. As an example, the best routing could be A, C, B, D, E -or- C, A, D, B, E or something else.

Since I don't know which is the best route to take to get to all delivery points the in the most efficient manor, is it possible to get the C220 to sort out the list and come up with the best routing? Or, is that asking the C220 to do more than it is capable of doing?

I really like the device, but I am hoping for more here - is it a pipe dream on my part?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I Think I Can!
Go to Top of Page

Harpo

Sweden
184 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2008 :  00:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you can.
You can put as many via points as you like and it will calculate the best (hopefully) route for you depending on your choices
in the route settings, fast ,econ, shortest way.

C220 Miomap 3.3 Olivercp/split skin and Miopocket 4.0 v63 SD-based - IGO8.3/diMKa 1.5.9 /Navigon Mn6/Mn7.5 reality view light, IGO Primo 1.1
SE X1 IGO8-IGO Primo
Go to Top of Page

rickyman

11 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2008 :  18:00:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have this error when i copy the cracked version: FFUIError: Parse Error [</layer>expected])

what does it mean?
Go to Top of Page

sistersophie

1 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2008 :  19:51:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a US model 220. It has no Canada maps. I understand the version offered for sale in Canada has both US and Canada maps. I will be traveling in Canada the end of the month. Where can I get Canada maps?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05