Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 General Technical Discussions
 * Discussing MTK receivers and Tips and Tweaks *
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  00:00:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
UPDATED MARCH 2011 : MTK chipset MT3328 (host-based version o MT3329à used on Garmin nuvi 3790.
UPDATED SEPTEMBER 2008 : MTK chipset v2 (MTK 3329) is available on the Qstarz Nano Q1300 datalogger, see details below.
1. INTRODUCTION
The MTK chipset took the GPS world by surprise in the fall of 2006 with the arrival of Transystem's iBlue 737 when many of us had been anticipating the NemeriX NJ2020/Nx3 based iBlue 727 that remains unavailable to this day.

A quick summary for the MTK chipset would be "powerful and lean", powerful because rated and perceived sensitiviy is on par with SiRFstarIII and lean because the battery life of MTK based receivers was 3x that of SiRFstarIII receivers. However the SiRFstarIII-LT chipset has become available (on the Garmin GPS10x) and battery life is now equivalent.

Compared to the SiRFstarIII receiver it provides more accurate tracks when driving, with better resistance to multipath problems (bounced signals in urban environments), but it appears to have been tuned for driving and not pedestrian use where it has issuss getting back on track in some situations. (UPDATED 200707 : low speed tracking, not to be confused with SiRF's Static Navigation setting, fixed starting with FW1.92, now performs on par with SiRFstarIII and Skytraq, see this comparison). On average it also has a longer time to first fix in the morning on average.

2. MTK BASED RECEIVERS
MTK v2 BASED RECEIVERS > 08/2008
- Qstarz BT-Q1300 logger with AXN_0.3-B_1.3_C01, see more

MTK v1 BASED RECEIVERS > 09/2006
In order of appearance :
- iBlue 737/Qstarz 810
- Qstarz 815 Solar GPS
- Qstarz 818
- iBlue 747/757 Bluetooth loggers
- Holux M-1000
- Qstarz BT-Q1000 logger
- Garmin nüvi 2x0 AIO - more
- Garmin eTrex Vista HCx - more
- Qstarz Q1200 logger with v2.0 - more
- Qstarz BT-Q1000P logger with Bcore 1.1, see more
- Semsons M7 BT GPS with Bcore 1.1, see more

Please use the thread dedicated to each of these receivers to discuss their specific features.

3. FIRMWARE VERSIONS
V2 CHIPSET - MTK3329
- Q1300 (08/2008) : AXN_0.3-B_1.3_C01
V1 CHIPSET - MTK3318
- 737 (sample - 09/2006) : M-core_1.5,0000 - 1.902_23_1102_0000,0609_m0247,0001
- 737 (shipping) : Mcore_1.62,0001 - 1.902 28 1102 0001,0609
- 737 (shipping-c300k) : M-core_1.8,0001 - 1.902_0__1102_0001,0609_m0279,0001
- Qstarz 810 : Mcore_1.62,0001 - 1.902_28_1102_0001,0609_mA254,0001
- Qstarz 815 : M-core_1.51,0002 - 1.902_23_1102_0002,0609_m0247,0001
- 747 : M-core_1.8 0011 - 1.902_40_LOG1.3_1102_0017,0609_m0279,0001
- 757/ZI v1 : M-core_1.8 1388 - 1.902_40_LOG1.3_1102_5000,0609_m0279,0001
- 757/ZI v2 (>06/2007) : M-core_1.94,5202
- Polaris iBT-GPS : M-core_1.8,0001 - 1.902_40_1102_0001,0609_m0279,001
- USB GPS : 1.902_34A_1102_0006, 0609_m0269 Mcore_1.72
- Holux M1000 : Mcore_1.8,0001 - 1.902_38_B09_1100_0001,0609_m0297,0001
- Qstarz BT-Q1000 : Mcore 1.94001
- Qstarz BT-Q1200 : M-core_2.0,8300,QST1000,*64, see see review
- Gisteq Phototrackr Lite : M-core 2.0, see topic
- Qstarz BT-Q1000P : Bcore 1.1, see topic

4. USEFUL LINKS
- MTK Proprietary commands : link
- MTK chipset operating at 5hz : link
- Logging > 1Hz : link

5. COMMENTS, TIPS AND TWEAKS - INDEX
  • BT747 Configuration , Log downloading, Google Maps creator - BT747
  • PC Configuration utility on the TS site - GPSview 1.0.3
  • PC Configuration utility on the Sparkfun site - MiniGPS 1.32
  • Activating SBAS from a PC or PPC with MTKTweak, see below
  • Sending commands over Bluetooth, seebelow

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  13:57:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this classifies as a Tweak.

The IBlue 737 and clones (I have a Qstarz 810) will not accept commands sent via bluetooth because the manufacturer disconnected the serial output of the bluetooth module from the GPS Chipset.
To solve this situation adding a simple resistor will be enough.

After removing the battery, open the GPS using a blade or sharp screwdriver on the crack on the top of the utit and twist. Pay atention to the power switch because it will probably fall off.

Now you will have to solder a resistor as pictured next(shown aligned before soldering). I've used an 1Kohm and it works fine. Be carefull and make sure it doesn't make contact with anything else.

It's a job for someone with some previous soldering experience.

The place of the actual missing resistor is on this picture where i've made my soldering (had some SMD resistor), but I think the way described above is easier:

Now my unit accepts commands, and I've been able to make it work at 5Hz.

Regards to everyone,
José Araújo

(I've not added any disclaimer, but pretend they are all there)
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  14:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jm_araujo

That's awesome... I might try that, once I get my fingers on a 1kOhm resistor.

So, you send the commands via bluetooth after aplying this tweak?

Nice work !

Zigster
BTW: Is there any chance to get the USB Port working for sending commands ?

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 11 mars 2007 15:11:04
Go to Top of Page

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  14:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I do send the commands via bluetooth.
I use SirfTech (Menu NMEA-Development Data) to send the commands on my PPC as it will automaticaly generate the checksum for the messages and I still haven't got my USB-Bluetooth adapter for the PC.

José Araújo

New question edit:
On the second picture you can see next to the mini-USB connector a lot of components are missing. Those where the ones that provided USB data connection. You whould have to find which parts they where and replace all of them. Very difficult, if not impossible to do.

Edited by - jm_araujo on 11 mars 2007 15:24:21
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  16:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have written a little app that turns WAAS on and off for the MTK chipset. I have tested it with my MTK (32 channel) USB unit, and it works quite well. The app sends the unit the $PMTK301 and $PMTK313 commands via serial comm port. I use a default baud rate of 9600. I believe all the MTK units default to 9600. (FWIW I have been unsuccessful in setting the baud rate to other than 9600.)

The zip file has 2 versions of the app. MTKTweak.exe is a Windows app, and MTKTweakCE.exe is a Windows CE app.

To use: You need to choose a COM port, I write the result to the registry so the app will remember it. Click on the button with the GPS hooked up, and the app will connect to the GPS and set the WAAS state, and then close the COM port. That's it! If you don't get an error dialog, then the operation should have completed.

As far as telling whether the unit really is in WAAS mode or not, the way I do it is monitor the GPS commands with my other apps, and look at the GGA command. The presence of a "W,2" in the string indicates WAAS is on. Also, with WAAS on, I get a consistant lock on PRN135 here in the USA.

The only testing other than myself was done by an individual in Germany, and it didn't seem to work for him. He has a different GPS unit than I do, and, of course, it's EGNOS over there, so I'm not sure what the deal is, but, anybody let me know how it works.

If anyone finds this useful I might be willing to add some more tweaks.

Here is my first attempt at a file posting in this site. Hope this link works. If it doesn't I'm sure you will let me know.

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/MTKTweak.zip

Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  16:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though it didn't work for me now (perhaps after applying the above tweak) I recommend musky's tool and I'm looking forward to it's progress in adding more tweaks.

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  16:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MTK review (edited summary from other thread):
I've purchased an MTK chipset GPS unit, and have some results. I bought the unit off of E-bay. It has the MTK 32 channel chipset and is a USB interface unit. It came directly from Hong Kong. I can't tell you the model #! For some reason it's like the seller is keeping the model # top secret! Anyway, I've some preliminary results.

This unit is advertised as having an accuracy of 2.5m! That is quite the claim. It is also advertised as having WAAS support, although to turn it on, you need to send a special NMEA command sequence, or use my MTKTweak utility. (see other post in this thread) The baud rate is advertised as being the usual series of typical baud rates, 4800,9600,19200, etc. but I have been unsuccessful at finding any MTK extended commands that support changing the baud rate. The default is 9600.

The unit IS SENSITIVE. It is on par with the Sirf III in terms of its ability to pick up satellites. It is locked onto a sufficient number of satellites to perform a fix almost, if not all the time.

2D RMS: WITHOUT WAAS on the MTK is at about 8 meters. (I have performed many experiments with the Sirf III, and long term accuracy is always around 5 meters.)

There is a very interesting thing going on with the MTK though! If you look at the distribution of the Sirf III data, it is what you would expect, I guess, it is a 2 dimensional gaussian semi random distribution of points, with what I would call the "wandering tracks" which occur when one or more satellites are acting up. With the MTK, there is some kind of wierd processing going on. To me it looks like they are doing some kind of "algorithmic" processing of the data that MIGHT be something like trying to guess if the unit is stationary and then deciding not to allow a change in the position. If you follow the MTK track (stationary of course) it tends to wander in a very defined, but random manner, making very small increments. It's like it is constrianed to only move for smaller increments.

I've noticed another peculiar thing about the MTK. The bearing field of RMC and VTG seems to have a certain threshold, below which it freezes. I haven't determined exactly what this threshold value is, but it is around 5 MPH. Under this speed, the bearing (or heading) value simply freezes. Sirf III units, on the other hand, will report a bearing for speeds down to a fraction of a MPH. I do wonder if this is related to the odd fix distribution. It may be that under a certain speed it changes into "fixed" mode. I am only speculating though.

To send the MTK into WAAS mode, it takes 2 special commands, $PMTK301,2 and $PMTK313,1. After sending these commands, the unit locks onto WAAS sat ID 48 (PanAm PRN 135) and stays locked pretty much all the time. I've completed >330,000 1 second acquisitions (in fixed location), and my standard deviation is about 4.5 meters. This seems outstanding, however, my excitement is tempered by the continual "static navigation" feature that I fear is affecting my precision study results.

I am kind of amazed that the unit doesn't default to WAAS on, and the user has to find an obscure pdf on an obscure website (transystem) to turn the unit's WAAS on, using hand entered $PMTK commands. Sheesh!!! What gives???

I did take the unit out on the road and try some tracking. Went a couple of miles, and laid down a track, then went back and forth over the track to see how reproducible the track was. It was excellent. My second tracks were within a couple of feet of the first track all along the length of the track.

Doing this experiment brought up an interesting thing though. If you get above a certain speed, the unit "wakes up" out of its static mode, and then you can slow down to sub-MPH speeds and have the unit report a valid speed (but not bearing). Then if you come to a complete stop, it finally says , "I am stopped" and gets back into static mode, and then it takes a >5 MPH or so move to wake it up again.... etc. This is very annoying, but if you do keep moving it seems to behave pretty well.

The hot topic on other threads in this forum is the 5HZ capability. This is the $PMTK300 command. This command works from the standpoint that I can slow down the position update rate to 2 seconds or 3 seconds. I cannot increase the rate to <1 second however.

I thought that the problem COULD be baud rate. Perhaps the firmware recognizes that it can't do higher updates without having the baud rate set to higher than the default of 9600 baud. So I tried the $PMTK251 command to set the baud rate higher. I have been unsuccessful.

So, in summary, looks like a good start, but PLEASE MTK, help me get rid of the static nav, and give me some better documentation and tools!

I've noticed another somewhat odd thing about this chipset. Cold starts seem to include a lot of initial wandering about. You really need to wait a couple of minutes for a good fix. Some of this may be due to the "static navigation" finally kicking in, I'm not sure. Like I said before, I don't really like evaluating precision with static navigation on, and wish I could turn it off. I had one incident of turn on wandering that lasted 5 minutes, that degraded the 2D RMS from 3 meters to the above mentioned 4 meters. The nature of the 2D RMS calculation is that a few incidents of gross wandering can really slam the precision. That is why you need to do hundreds of thousands of acquisitions over the course of a week or so to get a good estimate.

Edited by - musky on 23 mars 2007 18:01:53
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  17:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MTK Evaluation:
Here is the distribution of 230,000 fixes with the MTK GPS. Notice the "constraining" of the tracks. I believe this is due to the "static navigation" feature.

Here is a Sirf III precision study for comparison. Notice the much more "gaussian" appearance of the fixes.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2007 :  19:39:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, will try your apps. I haven't really seen the SN problem you describe in good reception environments, with minute speed increments, but clearly in challenging environments where it gets confused when it goes off track. I'll compile my various tests above.

Woukd you say you have a 737 clone ?
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  03:07:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, it's not a 737 clone. It's USB, not bluetooth. Brand name is unknown. BTW, firmware is ver. 1.902
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  03:20:55  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting, didn't know there were USB/Mouse based MTK receivers, got a picture by any chance ? How did you find out the firmware version number ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  12:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just go onto EBay and search for "MTK USB"
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  12:15:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thansk, got it, wow, looks like they will soon be giving away GPS receivers...Back to the SN discussion, walked around with the 757 this morning and with good signals it does indeed reflect movements at slow speeds, 1/2kph. I did see it lagging at some point, but nothing like this in very bad signal conditions :

More here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=81290

I wonder if your USB receiver hasn't been "tuned" differently, how did you see the FM version, is there a commande for that ?

Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  12:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they may be giving them away pretty soon, but I'd be nice if they asked for $1 more and gave some software utilities with it!

The query for firmware version is $PMTK604
Go to Top of Page

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  12:57:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've found a PC application for MTK GPSs in http://www.transystem.com.tw/pdf_gps/Tool_iGPS-M%20Pro_Rev1.0.3.zip

Once again in an obscure place on the Transystem Site: "Products" > "GPS" > "iGPS-M Pro" (under GMouse) > "Drivers and Tool"

José Araújo
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  13:16:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice find, let's see how it works with the various MTK receivers out there !

Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  14:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't unzip that file. Something about a CE signature missing or something????
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  14:05:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Give the download another try, works fine here.
App works ok via USB with the MTK loggers 747/757 but there seems to be a problem with a regional setting as it complains about a ,/. floating point problem, will see if I can fix that.

Go to Top of Page

nFKT

27 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  14:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here musky, I registered just to extract the program and upload it to my webserver as I know you may be able to use it more than I can.

http://infekted.com/gpsview.exe

feel free to scan it if you wish http://www.virustotal.com/en/virustotalf.html
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  18:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get the same error as gpspassion :"...not a floating point value"...

Nice but simple tool though, saves musky a bit of work !

Greetings

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 12 mars 2007 18:27:28
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2007 :  20:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Appendix:

Simply setting the decimal separator in the "Regional Settings" (as gpspassion noticed) to '.' instead of ',' fixed the problem :-)

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 12 mars 2007 20:37:53
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2007 :  01:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I made another stab at downloading the GPSView utility. If I download from the folder "Drivers and Tool" as told by jm araujo, I end up with a zip file that is corrupt. I have tried 3 different PKZIP tools. Command line PKZIP, the Windows version of PKZIP, and the built-in Windows XP unzip feature. All of them end up in failure. I don't see how you guys are doing it!

However if I download under the "Utility for Laptop" button, then I do end up with a valid zip file, and I can extract the program VisualGPS. Version is 3.3, copyright 2001. Is this the one you folks are having the success with??
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2007 :  07:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi musky,

no the one you got is just VisualGPS,

you can either try to browse here: http://www.transystem.com.tw/pdf_gps/

or you can get the rar version here: http://www.transystem.com.tw/pdf_gps/Tool_iGPS-M%20Pro_Rev1.0.3.rar

If this won't help you I can send it by mail too...

Regards,
Zigster

PS: You got mail ;-) !

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 13 mars 2007 07:06:18
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2007 :  13:33:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Zigster, I have the file now, and have it installed and working well.... I gave it a test run, and like my experience with the $PMTK commands, I can turn WAAS on and off, but I cannot change the baud rate, or make the update rate higher than 1HZ. (Failure is indicated by little dialog that says "set failed" or something like that.....) I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences...
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2007 :  14:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope to get that resistor at the weekend... I'll keep you posted!

Regards

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2007 :  17:43:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Changed my regional settings and tried it on the 747 that still has its USB capabilities courtesy of the on-board datalogger I suppose and it works fine, both for SBAS and for the update rate so that probably means your "el cheapo" USB receiver has some limitations, you get what you pay for ;-)

Incidentally the Version numbers on my 747 is...quite a mouthful :
"M-core_1.8 0011
1.902_40_LOG1.3_1102_0017,0609_m0279,0001"

Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  01:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My USB unit is firmware 1.902_34A_1102_0006, 0609_m0269 Mcore_1.72

I guess I don't think that this unit is defeatured because of low cost. Basically what companies do is defeature products to allow marketing to different target segments. Products with different features that cost very different amounts will actually just be defeatured with a couple of bits in software, which doesn't seem fair, but it's easy to do for the vendor. In this case, I don't see why they would defeature the baud rate selection, that doesn't make any sense to me. Update rate, yeah, I can see that. Can you change the update rate on yours from 1 to 5? I assume the number is in HZ. From what I have been reading on the internet, most of these MTK cannot do 5 HZ, but some special ones can.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  01:23:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Agreed, more marketing than cost driven. Yes, 5hz works fine on the 747 and 757 and I'd venture that all the TS made MTK receivers are 5Hz capable, you just need to be able to send the commands. It would be interesting to see whether jm_araujo can bump his BT Tweaked 737 to 5hz with that tool...when he receives his BT USB dongle ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  07:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think jm_arujo said in the posting describing the disassembly and soldering-the-resistor that he actually could set it to 5Hz.

<quote>Now my unit accepts commands, and I've been able to make it work at 5Hz.</quote>

As I see it, there is no way to get rid of the static navigation...too bad though!

Regards

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 14 mars 2007 14:04:02
Go to Top of Page

nFKT

27 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  11:35:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion,

So you were able to set the 747 to 5hz update rates and it stayed? If that is true I have no reason to bu the 737 5hz edition.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  11:52:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it stays at 5Hz until you remove the battery.

@Zigster - see my thoughts on "static navigation", I haven't seen the SiRF type SN on my MTK test units although there are issues when walking.

Go to Top of Page

nFKT

27 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  12:55:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the baud rates, any idea if those are different between the 737 5hz and the 747 @ 5hz or at least changeable by commands?

Also are there any other firmware differences you know of between the 737 5hz edition and the 747 beyond one being set to 5hz. I was about 5 minutes away from ordering the 737 5hz until I read this thread. I'd much rather have a datalogger as well.

Edited by - nFKT on 14 mars 2007 13:05:09
Go to Top of Page

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  13:25:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

... It would be interesting to see whether jm_araujo can bump his BT Tweaked 737 to 5hz with that tool...when he receives his BT USB dongle ;-)

Zigster was right. My Qstarz 810 (737 clone) works fine at 5Hz.
I used SirfTech on my PPC to issue commands to the GPS (Menu "NMEA" > "Development Data") and it was then that I first verified it would work at 5Hz thru the logs generated.

Yesterday I also got my BT dongle and verified it works very well with the TS tool.

There are some undocumented commands for the MTK. One I discovered thanks to the TS tool is $PMTK319,X , where if X=0 it will recognise SBAS sattelites with the "Test" flag, with X=1 it will not(called "Integrity" on GPSView).It is the command issued by the program in the SBAS dialog on the Setup tab.

José Araújo

Edited by - jm_araujo on 14 mars 2007 13:31:21
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  20:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tweak Confirm,

I can confirm the jm_arujo's resistor tweak... since I had no 1kOhm Resistor at hand, I plugged (not soldered) a 1.5 kOhm (non-SMD) as suggested by jm_arujo.

I can now read the Firmware and can set SBAS and Hz. I'm trying to catch an EGNOS satellite signal asap.

I'll keep you posted...

5Hz works too...!

Regards, Zigster

@musky...I can test your tool now too...!!!

PS: My firmware version according to GPSview v1.0.3) is: 1.902_40_1102_0001,0609_m0279,001

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 18 mars 2007 20:14:12
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  22:05:12  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear, added your FW to the first message, any M-Core numbers ?

Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  23:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
M-core_1.8,0001

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

sooby77

87 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  23:05:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found this very interesting 5hz receiver on my google search. This page has some software for the device. Unfortunately, the specs does not specify which chipset the GPS is, but perhaps it's based on the MTK chipset? I'm waiting for my i-blue 5hz to arrive, so can't really test it, but you guys might want to explore this:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8266#
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  23:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Took a look,
looks like the MTK chip to me...,
taking a look at the MiniGPS Software: Looks a bit different, but is from Mediatek (MTK) as well (see About) and all the other features work with my 737 clone too.

Regards
Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

sooby77

87 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  23:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like a more polished software. Perhaps this software will enable users to set some of the features like WAAS/SBAS or the bluetooth baud rate and the update freq. Keep us updated!
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2007 :  23:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WAAS/SBAS can be set with MTK Tool from Transsystem as well as Update freq.
Baudrate cannot be set with either of the tools.

Regards,
Zigster

PS:

Tried to set the Baudrate with the NMEA Monitor with the following command: $PMTK251,115200
Receiver returned: $PMTK001,251,2*37 which means: Valid command /
packet, but action failed !

Seems that the baudrate must be set by writing into flash via the $PMTK390 command (see Transystem chip manual)...since this can be done
<quote>Write the user setting to the flash to override the default setting. Maximum 8 times without erase the chip. This feature may not be available</quote>

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 18 mars 2007 23:48:02
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  00:05:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice new finds, the GPSTrace Software looks interesting too, especially with the Antaris/SS3/MTK compatibility but it stalls as soon as I connect.

Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  01:16:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zigster:
Did the $PMTK390 actually work for you? Were you actually able to change the baud rate with it? I have been reluctant to experiment with that command, since it writes the flash. That makes me nervous; I'm afraid I'll totally hose up my unit. What do they mean by "Maximum 8 times without erase the chip"????
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  06:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@musky
Actually, I did not try the 390 command, since the "maximum 8 times" scares me a bit....!

I found out, on how to get to know, whether a command was successful or not. Therefore, I use the NMEA Monitor's GPS-Command/Report feature. Every command makes the receiver return a PMTK ACK Message 001, followed by the previously issued command and with a result flag, where
0 = Invalid command / packet
1 = Unsupported command/ packet type
2 = Valid command / packet, but action failed
3 = Valid command / packet, and action succeeded

Example:
>$PMTK301,2 (Set DGPS Data Mode)
<$PMTK001,301,3*32 (301 command was valid, command succeeded)

Hope this isn't old news to you guys.

Regards,

Zigster

PS: No luck to get a DGPS fix with EGNOS so far...

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 19 mars 2007 06:55:55
Go to Top of Page

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  10:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad the mod worked for you. You should solder the resistor, it's the only way to assure a good and stable connection.

Have you tried to change the SBAS setting to "Test" instead of "Integrity"?

It appeared to me I could only get an EGNOS fix after that. I will take 1-2 minutes and a good signal (not indoors).

José Araújo
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  10:14:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice to get it to work, but I wouldn't worry too much about SBAS -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=185 ;-)

@jm_araujo - which firmware version do you have on your 737 ?

Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  11:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jm_arujo
Yes, I set it to Test, but to no prevail (I am in Central Germany, is there a good site to find out, if EGNOS is stable and running ?)

I'm thinking of soldering the resistor, but it is a real tough one to do...so no coffee for me, before I'll do it :-)

Regards,

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  11:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Qstarz 810.
Firmware: Mcore_1.62,0001 - 1.902_28_1102_0001,0609_mA254,0001

José Araújo
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  11:47:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, added it to the list on the first page.
Wonder what all these numbers mean, major/minor revs, logging features. I'd say the "Mcore"is for a major rev with the 1.5, 1.6 and 1.8 versions available so far.

Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2007 :  21:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally, I got a DGPS signal...with GPSView set to use the SBAS-Test-Signal and also with the Integrity setting...

Nice...

Regards,
Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

fabio1234

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2007 :  21:24:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bought Transystem's iBlue 737.I have made like described from gpspassion, knit resistance, now I succeed to modify the configuration (excluded speed , 9600) I receive satellites egnos n°33-39(From Rome,Italy)). Ok DGPS.thanks

Fabio

Fabio
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2007 :  22:12:25  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great and welcome to the forums, which firmware version do you have on your 737 ?

Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2007 :  22:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to clarify what the "resistor hack" is. (Sorry if this is obvious to everyone else). I was confused by this.... Bluetooth drivers emulate a serial port. I have a Sirf II bluetooth unit for my PDA that appears as COM port and sends and receives NMEA commands just fine. Evidently what the iBlue 737 manufacturer has done is simply disconnected the serial link in the receive (from the viewpoint of the GPS) direction, so that the unit justs "talks" and does not receive any commands. I would assume this was done intentionally to disallow the user from screwing around with the unit. That seems pretty bizarre, but apparently that is the case here.

Edited by - musky on 21 mars 2007 13:03:42
Go to Top of Page

Waylo

44 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  04:45:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm, all the tweaks here were possible only on modded (resistor-ized) MTK models, correct?
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  07:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Waylo,

no, not all.

Resistor-izing is necessary on 737 clones. There are a few other models (and their clones) that do not require the resistor tweak.

Regards,

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

karo

Germany
4 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  09:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and thanks for the 1kohm tweak !!!

After some heart pounding by soldering it runs fine.
My (nonamed) i-BLUE 737:
Mcore 1.62,0001
1.902 28 1102 0001,0609 mA254,0001

On PC I am using the fantastic NMEA Monitor:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/k8/gps/
The author K.Kawano supported the commands for the i-blue 737 and the i-Blue 747 in the nmea.ini !

Here I got the newest EGNOS Broadcast Schedule, but in Northern-Germany it seems to be difficult, to receive the signal:
http://194.224.177.81/WebPortal/Egnos/Pages/EGNOSSystem/Geo%20Footprint/ES_GS.page?Category=Broadcast%20Schedule&Object=/Egnos/Contents/EGNOSSystem/GEOFootprint/SIS%20Broadcast%20Schedule.content

Greetings
karo/Peter from Hamburg/Germany
(sorry gpspassion for my incomplete firmwareposting in first reply)

Edited by - karo on 21 mars 2007 14:33:08
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  14:17:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes we have a thread about the NMEA monitor somewhere, nice tool indeed.
Looks like we're missing the mxxxx,xxxx at the end of your FW version, GPSView should show them normally ?

Go to Top of Page

Waylo

44 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  18:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zigster

Hi Waylo,

no, not all.

Resistor-izing is necessary on 737 clones. There are a few other models (and their clones) that do not require the resistor tweak.

Thanks for the clarification! I do have the Qstarz 810=737, and am debating the mod (just the littlest bit of soldering experience!).

I was wondering if someone here could try tinkering with the power-saving settings. I think I saw 2 commands related to this function in the PDF file listing all features.

I think in certain situations it might be nice to have the 737 stay on despite not having a BT signal. Plus, many Palm pilots seem to have issues with some MTK chipset GPSs, including my 'backup' unit, a Tungsten E2. I think these might be related to the 'timeout' power-off settings not being reset when linked to this unit.

Edited by - Waylo on 21 mars 2007 18:37:16
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  20:24:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Waylo,

you might want to check this command:

$PMTK320,0 (it is marked as Internal testing ONLY)

but, even though the receiver retuns to NMEA Monitor:
$PMTK001,320,3 (which means, that the command was issued correctly)
my receiver still turns into "sleeping mode" after a while...

The command $PMTK520,0 returns with code 1 (unsupported command)...

Regards,
Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 21 mars 2007 20:25:43
Go to Top of Page

Waylo

44 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  22:17:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-) GPSPASSION TEAM
Those are the exact 2 commands I was thinking of. Alas, doesn't look like they do much! It does looks like you have the same unit as I. Thanks for checking it out though.

Edited by - Waylo on 21 mars 2007 22:18:39
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2007 :  22:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Waylo,
seems, that these power saving commands are really for internal testing...
... I got mine from ebay (sent from London).

Regards,
Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

sooby77

87 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  00:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys,

Just got my 737 5hz edition. Anything you guys want me to test to find the difference between regular and 5hz edition?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  00:16:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You mean at the firmware level ? Probably the same as the regular 737 as it's just a setting, but sure, you can try GPSview if it hasn't been "neutered", in which case you'd need the resistor hack. If it's to discuss 5hz performance use the 5Hz thread.

Go to Top of Page

sooby77

87 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  00:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran GPSView and when I Query the firmware version, nothing happens. Is it because I need the resistor hack?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  00:38:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say yes ;-)

Good news, I just received a Holux M-1000 test unit and it's not "locked" over Bluetooth, firmware version is Mcore_1.8,0001 - 1.902_38_B09_1100_0001,0609_m0297,0001 - added to the index on the first page.

Go to Top of Page

c300k

Austria
2 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2007 :  19:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the hack!

my i-blue (noname) 737

$PMTK704,1.902_0__1102_0001,0609_m0279,0001*0E
$PMTK705,M-core_1.8,0001*32

setting to the BAUD-rate to 115200 and switching to 5Hz worked
($PMTK251,115200*1F $PMTK300,200,0,0,0,0*2F)

[edit]
baud-rate settings don't work. (see below)

Edited by - c300k on 28 mars 2007 00:18:18
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 25 mars 2007 :  20:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi c300k,

are you sure, that the baudrate could be set with the 251 command ?

I have the same firmware in 737, but the $PMTK251,115200 command (NMEA Monitor) returns here with $PMTK001,251,2*37 , meaning: valid command, but action failed.

thank you for info,

Regards
Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 26 mars 2007 22:36:02
Go to Top of Page

fabio1234

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - 26 mars 2007 :  00:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
25/03/07
N $PMTK704,1.902_40__1102_0001,0609_m0279,0001*0E
N $PMTK705,M-core_1.8,0001*32

$PMTK251,115200*1F $PMTK300,200,0,0,0,0*2F

25/03/07
N $PMTK001,251,2*37

25/03/07
N 22:01:41.200 24 50 4D 54 4B 30 30 31 2C 32 35 31 2C 32 2A 33 37

Scanning : 115200 baud.
Port 1 ... No signal
Port 3 ... Open failed
Port 4 ... No signal
Port 5 ... No signal
Port 6 ... Found GPS receiver 115200 baud (NMEA) ??????????????????
Port 7 ... No signal
Scan completed.

I have executed the tests but it seems not to work, excused for my bad English

Fabio

Fabio
Go to Top of Page

c300k

Austria
2 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2007 :  00:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Zigster

you are right, i have this error as well.
I didn't verify my baud rate.
My ipaq disconnects after ~1 second, but i thought, that this is windows-ce (the normal Microsoft-quality...)

When I connect to my ipaq via kbluetooth i have ~100%CPU-usage. I didn't verify if i get the complete data.

How do i activate 115200 baud? Should i use the $PMTK390 command?
What does "freeze the settings mean?"
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2007 :  19:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi c300k,

sorry, couldn't post earlier...

For now, I see no way to set the baudrate, since it doesn't seem to be supported.

With which tool do you see the option "freeze setting" ?

Regards,

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS

Edited by - Zigster on 02 avr. 2007 21:51:12
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2007 :  17:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Forum,

I know, that this idea might be strange, but since the 737 clones don't provide an external GPS antenna input, does anyone (jm_araujo ?) know, how and where an external jack "could" be soldered to?

Regards,

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

jm_araujo

12 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2007 :  00:28:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GPS RF section is under the metal shield, and there is no points available where to solder a connector for an external antenna.
Go to Top of Page

Zigster

27 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2007 :  17:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@jm_araujo

thank you for the info

Regards,

Zigster

Polaris iBT-GPS
Go to Top of Page

cpasoft

12 Posts

Posted - 15 avr. 2007 :  22:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all...

I've just recived an Holux M1000, and when I query for a firmware version, i get:
$PMTK705,B-core_1.0,0001*35

B-core??, 1.0??

Here is an snapshot:

It's strange, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 avr. 2007 :  00:30:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Indeed, could it have been an early version or a custom build ? My M-1000 test unit has a standard rev number.
Go to Top of Page

foxdie

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 21 avr. 2007 :  21:15:18  Show Profile  Visit foxdie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all, just registered here after googling and finding this page, I have a Qstarz BT-Q810, board date 09/11/2006, I have performed the resistor upgrade as follows:

I can now successfully send data to the unit, but it's not made clear through this thread how to actually send the unit into 5hz mode and 115200 baud, can someone make clear these commands? I'm using SirfStar on my Pocket PC linked via bluetooth to the gps unit.

EDIT: forget that, I issued the following commands in the following order and I got it into 5hz mode:

> $PMTK300,200,0,0,0,0*2F
$PMTK001
> $PMTK251,115200*1F
$PMTK001
> $PMTK300,200,0,0,0,0*2F
$PMTK001
> $PMTK490*33
(no response, so gave up here, but tried another gps program and its updating much faster, I'd say about roughly 4hz at a visual guess)

Problem is now TomTom 5.x hates it updating so quickly, the software has become very sluggish around the menu, I guess it's the price I pay for updating so quickly ;)

Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt

Edited by - foxdie on 21 avr. 2007 21:56:56
Go to Top of Page

fabio1234

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - 22 avr. 2007 :  13:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My model of 737 not accept those commands. As can I verify to that speed is communicating now ?. With Via Michelin 4,4 it works perfectly to 2HZ but to advanced speeds in the city centers one jams, outside from the cities works to 5HZ. It makes me to know about Tom tom I am interested to acquire and I would want to know it.

PDA Acer N50 PLUS 512 MHZ.

Fabio

Edited by - fabio1234 on 25 avr. 2007 15:51:25
Go to Top of Page

foxdie

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2007 :  23:11:29  Show Profile  Visit foxdie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well using it in 5hz mode really screws TomTom up, every minute or so it'll get stuck (as if it's not receiving any input) then unfreeze about another minute, it makes it very hard to navigate with. Personally I think there's not enough CPU power in pocket pc's to handle so many updates per second.

I'm dismayed that I spent so much effort getting my gps receiver into 5hz mode only to find it's too good for the PDA...

I guess I'll have to use it on a laptop instead >:)

Jason "Foxdie" Gaunt
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2007 :  22:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi to all.

I'm a GPS addicted and I bought today @ eBay, a i-Blue 747.

I already downloaded the software from the Transystem site and also the several software from this Topic. All that software is working with my Sirf III Globalsat BT-338, except for the commands, that are MTK proprietary.

I have a question: Does anyone know any Symbian S60 software to do the same the GPSview or miniGPS programs do? I have a Nokia 6680 and I use Route66 v.7 Iberia and AFTrack 1.1.7 (good for Geocaching), but I can't send commands to the Sirf III or the MTK chips with this kind of programs.

Best regards.
Rui, from Portugal
http://ct1aic.org/radioactive/
Go to Top of Page

fabio1234

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2007 :  04:03:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two days ago I have used the gps (iBlue 737) walking, it does not works. how is it possible stop static navigation feature?

Fabio

Edited by - fabio1234 on 06 mai 2007 04:12:38
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2007 :  15:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's impossible. I've tried. There are no special commands to turn it off that I am aware of, and I've gone through the command set. It's really a shame, because most likely the software engineers have put in extra code to implement static nav, and it should be a simple matter to turn it off. MTK, ARE YOU LISTENING? Please let us turn this off!!!!
Go to Top of Page

fabio1234

Italy
5 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2007 :  17:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Truly incredible !!!!! MTK, help us, possible that we must run and we can not only go on foot slowly, slowly.

thanks

Fabio

Edited by - fabio1234 on 06 mai 2007 17:19:26
Go to Top of Page

dvmed

4 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2007 :  11:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the 747 and it works with casual walking. However, it doesn't show the direction. If I try to use GPS Tuner's compass application, it doesn't work because to static navigation. But using the map (GPS Tuner) works, I can find my car in a huge parking lot with it up to a few feet. I really hope mtk will release a utility to turn static nav off.
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2007 :  15:10:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if you run instead of walk, you will get a bearing! I think this is a ploy by MTK to get everybody in shape. You have to run everywhere now instead of walk! We will all become very fit this way.

Anyway, it's a shame, because:

MTK:
*) Has WAAS
*) But can't turn off static nav.

SirfIII
*) Has broken WAAS (can be enabled but doesn't work)
*) Has static nav turned off by default

So, if we can get the 2 companies to merge and keep the good stuff, we will have the best GPS chip.
Go to Top of Page

HACKtor

6 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  10:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello GPS lovers,
I'll buy a i-Blue 737 5hz or i-Blue 747 with DataLogger TODAY
but
I have some questions on my mind that needs to be answered, so please reply A.S.A.P.

1. Does 747 need to resistor soldering hack for turning on 5hz. If no, which software will I use to change it to 5hz
2. Is it possibe to set BaudRate to 115200 on 747 (Interesting that it says 115200 default on Transystem site in 747 specs)
3. When I removed the battery, will it be in 5hz or turn back to 1hz? Is there anyway to keep it in 5hz forever?
4. What is the BaudRate of original 737 5hz version

Thank you all
Regards,
Erdem
Go to Top of Page

andi.k

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  11:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1.) Nope, not necessary - you can simply activate 5Hz through the USB serial connection.
2.) Yes (via USB serial at least...)
3.) ?
4.) ?

Cheers,
Andi

Edited by - andi.k on 16 mai 2007 11:12:10
Go to Top of Page

HACKtor

6 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  12:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Andi
thanks for your really quick reply
but I still have some concerns.. for example which softwrae will change the system from 1hz to 5hz
and if you read the whole topic, there is a problem with baudrate increasing. Are you sure on your answer about my second question? Did you tried it at least?
My third question is about will it stay in 5 hz. if I remove the battery
Fourth question is clear enough I think..
Go to Top of Page

HACKtor

6 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  12:22:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone clearly tell me that the BaudRates of 737 5hz and 747 are different by default or not?
What I understood is:
737 5hz is 115200 and 5hz (default values)
747 is 9600 and 5hz (after tweak)

is that right? or both have same baudrate (9600) by default?
Go to Top of Page

andi.k

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  12:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, for 5Hz mode I use the first one of the tools listed in the first post. (GPSView)

There is a new version: http://www.transystem.com.tw/pdf_gps/Tool_i-Blue737%205Hz_Rev1.1.0.zip

...and a new 737-Receiver with explicit 5Hz support: http://www.transystem.com.tw/p-gps-iblue737-5hz.htm

Regarding 115200 Baud - the log download tool from http://www.transystem.com.tw/p-gps-iblue747.htm sets 115200 baud by default. This tool also reads current GPS data. I didn't try it over bluetooth, but USB only.

With my Smartphone, GPS works with every baud setting avaiable: 9600, 19600, 38x00 and 56k.

But I tried 5Hz (as well as 3Hz...) with USB connection to my PC only.

Edited by - andi.k on 16 mai 2007 12:36:41
Go to Top of Page

HACKtor

6 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  15:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is there any hardware differences between 737 and 747 series (other than data logging capabilites sure)

and for the 747: "if you accidently move your switch to LOG it will never stop logging even if you switch back to NAV" --> is this solved with the latest firmware update?
Go to Top of Page

andi.k

Germany
9 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2007 :  17:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it won't _accidently_ log on NAV. it _ALWAYS_ will, as long as there is an active bluetooth connection (according to the manual).
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 17 mai 2007 :  02:03:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
747 questions should go to the 747 thread so we can try to stay organized, and last I checked there hadn't been a firmware upgrade.

As for "Static Navigation", yes I would certainly favor a SiRFstarIII system for pedestrian use, but I'm not sure the term "static navigation" describes the tracking problems we're seeing. It looks more like a problem in the algorithm they use as I've seen it track at low speeds in some cases, generally in a good GPS environment and then stall when the conditions get bad, like going under a bridge, and for some reason not resume tracking quickly when the conditions improve as a SSIII GPS would.

Go to Top of Page

ggerman28

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 mai 2007 :  03:54:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently bought a iTrek M5+ (737 clone?), and at same time i broke my BT dongle for my lappy... #@%^@^%$
So then i couldnt run the GPSview to test if my iTrek M5+ is locked or not.
Could somebody verify if I need to use the resistor tweak to make iTrek M5+ receive commands or not?

Edited by - ggerman28 on 27 mai 2007 03:55:47
Go to Top of Page

beHappy

3 Posts

Posted - 28 mai 2007 :  10:15:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to the tips here from, I did MTK modding as described here applied to QStarZ BT-818. BT-818 is iBlue737 clone with the baudrate 115200, with 1kOhm resistance it will accept serial comp. command (NMEA commands) through Bluetooth. With NMEA Monitor program it will accept WAAS/EGNOS enable, search SBAS sattelite and set Differential GPS Fix (DGPS Fix). Under some circumtances I can see the SBAS PRN 33, 37, 44 and tracking of these. The unit works perfectly with Nokia N73 with TT6 mobile, no problem at all with the build-in sleep mode (auto-on-off) in power-save-mode. The GPS Fix indoors is almost 5-8 bars, when outdoors is better; approx. 8-10 bars, in some seldom cases max. 11-13 bars. Compared with my earlier Holux 236 I like it much more, except two issues; static navigation som discussed here couldn't turn off and no backup battery so the changes couldn't save permanently in the chips (reset when the battery takes off), othewise it will be the most perfectly gps receiver.

Using in pedestrian "mode" with the highlight street the accuracy is near 2-3m, when out-of-route it varies up to 20m. The odiometer can track down to 1 km/h and still navigate around, but less accuracy.

Firmware version:
M-core_1.8,0001,1.902_40__1102_0001,0609_m0279,0001

Edited by - beHappy on 28 mai 2007 10:51:30
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2007 :  17:32:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums and glad we could help.
What do you mean by "odiometer" ? Is that a separate device ?

Go to Top of Page

juangas

Spain
2 Posts

Posted - 14 juin 2007 :  22:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody.
I've found this forum due to a problem between my qstarz 818 and a n73. Both get unpaired sometimes.
beHappy: did you solve this? if so, which nmea sentences had you used for it?
There's a new version of the qstarz 818 with a new firmware and the static navigation disabled.

Thanks everybody for all the info.

Edited by - juangas on 16 juin 2007 13:37:30
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2007 :  01:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where do you purchase the new version of the Qstarz 818 with the static navigation disabled? How do I know I am getting the version with it disabled? Thanks

Edited by - musky on 15 juin 2007 13:29:19
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2007 :  09:49:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't heard of this. I will ask Qstarz directly. As a reminder we have a thread dedicated to the 818 : http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75868

What would be interesting is you could give us the firmware revision number here though so it can be added to the first message.

I have confirmed with Qstarz that there is indeed a new version but that the upgrade is not possible by the end user unfortunately, it has to be sent back to them. I think that those who are interested should contact the place where they bought it, but I doubt they can offer that type of service.

Go to Top of Page

beHappy

3 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2007 :  11:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my unit from UK. Asking them about firmware update and here is the answer.
here is a response from Qstarz, pls let me know your decision:
Only SiRF GPS can set static navigation to OFF. BT-Q818 doesn't have this kind of parameter for setting.
About the firmware upgrade of BT-Q818, it can only solve the problem with Bluetooth disconnection.
New firmware is to detect some PDA/Smartphone model without supporting sleeping mode to avoid connection dropping.
We're sorry that it could not be updated by user via laptop. So we need your help to send your BT-Q818 to us for the firmware upgrade
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 juin 2007 :  11:48:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, so it only fixes BT problems, not static navigation, contradicts what has been posted elsewhere, but again, the place to post this is here -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=75868

Go to Top of Page

Waylo

44 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2007 :  15:34:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The offer by Qstarz to replace older firmware units is a nice one, as they offered this when I wanted to replace my Qstarz q810. However, they are based in Taiwan, so shipping/insurance and the time delay might make it cheaper to just buy a new one!
Go to Top of Page

noi_kog

3 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2007 :  09:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm newbies of GPS. I was buy Holux M-1000 at last week. I use GPSview check my M1000 firmware, it's show version B-core_1.0.0003.
- How to upgrade GPS firmware for Holux M-1000 ?
- Where to download newest firmware of Holux M-1000 ?
Go to Top of Page

chong67

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2007 :  00:09:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the i747 and now I got it running at 5 hz with GPSView.

When I am on TomTom6 the cursor is not jumping around only when I past 1 mph.

Is this what it is suppose to do?
Go to Top of Page

sundude

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2007 :  20:41:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have purchased the I-trek Z 757 clone form Semsons. My version is M-clone_1.8.1388 11902_40_Log1.3_1102_5000.0609_m0279.0001. I had to take it apart to see what was inside. Took pictures but baven't figured out how to add pictures. . I'm trying to figure out how to enable the bluetooth input.

Edited by - sundude on 28 juin 2007 20:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Sintei

2 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2007 :  20:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the I-Blue 737 via Germany. Firmware: M-core_1.8,0001.
On the first page it says its a "c300k", what does that mean?
Since i did the mod i notice my gps has lost some sensitivity in my car. (It takes alot longer to start up now). Does anyone else have had the same problem? Isnt waas/egnos enabled at all time, or atleast when my software, tomtom5.2, is on? All these settings you can change, is there any benefit of changing them?

regards
Nicklas
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2007 :  23:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nicklas:
If you are referring to the "resistor hack" mod, that should not affect the sensitivity of your unit. I suppose it is possible you jostled something when you took the unit apart.

WAAS/EGNOS is probably not on by default. It was not turned on by default in my MTK unit. Can you look at the GGA NMEA command? If WAAS/EGNOS is actually on, you should get a ,2 in the GGA string.

Are you turning WAAS on with a PMTK command? Is that why you did the mod? If so, it could be possible that the time to first fix takes longer with WAAS enabled.

Go to Top of Page

jetsun

9 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  19:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got i-blue 747 today, and I am disapointed at its performance.
My Holux GR236 dropped to the ground and broken two weeks ago,
so I bought this i-blue 747. But I found it has some shortcomings compare to GR236.
The test environment is on the city street that has tall buildings at two sides.
First one is the "static navigation" is always on problem, this is not suitable for pedestrian.
The position reported by GPS often does not change during my walking, there is a time lag and the position/direction is always wrong.
The other one is the drift problem. GR236 also has drift problem, but from the track log of the same environment, I feel that the drift problem of i-blue 747 is serious than GR236.

Can the static navigation of MTK chip GPS be switched from ON to OFF as Sirf GPS could?
I hope someone can found the command that turn it off, or by updating to a new version firmware.

The main purpose of my GPS for navigation during my walking, it becomes annoying because of this feature. It is my falut that not read the topics of gpspassion carefully before I bought it. I should pat attention to the SN problem.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  20:18:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well you had been warned in this topic ;-)
No swithc, only an upgrade that must be done at the factory, haven't heard of anyone offering to do it for now.

I just received the new Qstarz BT-Q1000 datalogger (similar to 747) and it has "M-core_1.94,001B" that seems to work well on foot, so it could be the new firmware, will look at my logs later.

Go to Top of Page

Sintei

2 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2007 :  20:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey.
Well it seems my iblue 737 gets locked on alot of sattelites (according to my tomtom) but they are all greyed (full signal thou). And it takes around 2 minutes before they turn blue (working with the software).
Sometimes I have to take the gps up on the dashboard. If I do, it lock on almost instantenously.
I dont know if I have WAAS/EGNOS enabled ($GPGGA,183306.400,5535.1344,N,01300.4727,E,1,5,1.39,20.0,M,40.8,M,,*67). Ive tried to enable it, but the command line looks the same. I can make it to 5hz, as the command-lines really picks up speed.

I cannot use GPSview, it says something about floating point. Is it something I can fix?

regards
Nicklas
Go to Top of Page

ChinaTony

1 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2007 :  19:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a Holux M1000,the firmware of which is "B-Core_1.0,0002".I think this version is 2 old ,so I wanna update the firmware myself. Will somebody be so kind to tell me how to do this safely and efficiently?
thx a lot.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 juil. 2007 :  20:01:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
AFAIK you can't, see my message above, you could always try contacting Holux I guess, but I'm not positive the new "pedestrian" firmware is out, my tests with the Qstarz Q1000 with Mcore 1.94 still show similar problems as with the old version.

Go to Top of Page

aol

Finland
9 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  15:40:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just completed the resistor mod on my QStarz 818 5hz edition. I was able to get EGNOS signal here in Finland.

my firmware is M-core_1.8,0002 1.902_40__1102_0002,0609_m0279,0001

Do you guys know how to do this mod to iblue 757? I found the TX soldering point, but the other one was missing. It does not respond to the commands sent by GPSview.

Other issue, do you know what is the setting I need to send to enable EGNOS test mode? I want to do the settings on my own software not GPSview.

Edited by - aol on 04 juil. 2007 16:40:17
Go to Top of Page

aol

Finland
9 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  15:43:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my GGA line with EGNOS lock (not very good view to sky).

$GPGGA,134129.000,6013.6671,N,02453.6137,E,2,8,0.98,38.5,M,19.6,M,0000,0000*6B
Go to Top of Page

aol

Finland
9 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  16:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One more observation on this Qstarz 818, the SBAS seems to be enabled as default, just not the EGNOS test mode.
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2007 :  14:20:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sintei:
Your GGA command has a "E,1" in it, and the 1 indicates that DGPS is not enabled. You need to send the MTK chipset a special command to do that.

aol:
The special commands to enable DGPS are:
$PMTK301,2
$PMTK313,1

jetsun:
No, as far as I know, there is no way to turn off the dang "static navigation" in MTK units. Only solution is to use a vehicle to go anywhere, and stop getting exercise by walking

Edited by - musky on 08 juil. 2007 14:39:33
Go to Top of Page

lyletanner

13 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2007 :  08:58:42  Show Profile  Visit lyletanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I received my i.Trek Z1 yesterday from Semsons.com (iBlue 757). It has the latest MTK firmware on it:

N $PMTK001,604,1*30
N $PMTK705,M-core_1.94,5202*03

Seems to work at 1hz, 2hz, 4hz, and 5hz without any trouble.

Now if I could just get it to log faster than every 1000ms.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2007 :  13:18:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll need a PDA or PC foe that I'm afraid ;-)

Added to the list in the first message. Let us know how you find the tracking in pedestrian mode. I've found it to be improved but still not as accurate as SiRFtarIII, with the "odd" wandering from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

wobbletop

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2007 :  20:09:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just did the resistor mod for my 737. Is there a Palm application to send commands to the unit over bluetooth? My laptop does not have bluetooth yet (it's coming) so I need to set it to 5Hz via the palm pda.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

-Walter
Go to Top of Page

stukka

1 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2007 :  19:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, to all,

is there any special spec for this 1Kohm resistor?
can i buy it just with this description?
thanks for your help!
i am wondering if i can do this on my new q818 to bring it up to 5hz.

thanks for your support!

Edited by - stukka on 22 juil. 2007 19:17:18
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2007 :  19:39:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wobbletop

Just did the resistor mod for my 737. Is there a Palm application to send commands to the unit over bluetooth? My laptop does not have bluetooth yet (it's coming) so I need to set it to 5Hz via the palm pda.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

-Walter

Hello

I have no idea if the 737 is similar to the 747. I have a Palm application up @ http://sf.net/projects/bt747 .
More on this forum @ http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=85368 .

You can probably use that application to set some stuff (just ignore the logging specific elements).
In your case: on the 'Ctrl' tab, set Fix to 200 ms. That will emit an MTK specific command when clicking on SET.

Edited by - mdeweerd on 24 juil. 2007 19:45:01
Go to Top of Page

wobbletop

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2007 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stukka

is there any special spec for this 1Kohm resistor?

Not really. Most common resistor is 1/4watt and 5% tolerance.

-Walter
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2007 :  21:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Now if I could just get it to log faster than every 1000ms.

I think the BT757 is very similar to the BT747 and you should be able to set the logging to something faster than 1000ms with the application @ http://sf.net/projects/bt747.
I can do it for the 747 by setting 'Time' to 0.2 and Fix to 200ms.
Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 05 août 2007 :  21:27:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

some comments from my side on the performance during walking of my qstarz BT810. Indeed it seems not to be that good as it is in the car: especially on altitude: on one trip I started 50m higher than the real height and ended 50m lower. A second bad point was that at some moment, the unit got a bit weird: jumping around in position (about 100m max) and jumping in altitude (like 300m max). I read through the forums and wonder if the 5Hz trick is also working on the BT810? And also I would like to check my firmware version but didn't find the programme/method to read that out? any hints? Thanks Paul
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2007 :  01:41:22  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was going to ask about the firmware version, the programs are linked in the first message.

Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2007 :  08:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, I have seen the programmes. But as I understand well, I first have to do the resistor mod? Is that correct?
Go to Top of Page

iNerd

Finland
7 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2007 :  15:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My brand new i-Blue 737 has firmware version 1.902_40__1102_0001,0609_m0279,0001
And thanks to jm_araujo, it now also works fine @5Hz if needed. :o)

I had same "...not a floating point value" error at first with GPSview, but seems like decimal separator was the issue here too, thanks Zigster!

But I still have one problem with 737: seems like none of my S60 3rd GPS software that uses Location API works with it. For instance Aspicore GSM Tracker works fine if I disable "use Location API" from settings, but not when try to use it. This is a problem, because now I can't use GSM Tracker and Nokia Sports Tracker at the same time. At Sports Tracker there is no settings for using (or not) Location API, so it uses it allways, and makes this app unusable for me. Any ideas what could cause this?
Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2007 :  19:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did the resistor mod and the version of my 10 months old Qstarz BT810 is:
1.902_28_1102_0001,0609_mA254,0001

I will shortly publish my faulty oziexplorer track in this thread.

cheers Paul
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2007 :  20:57:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pwel:
I don't have the same MTK unit you do, I have a USB unit. My MTK has "static navigation", and this has caused all kinds of grief for me. The problem is, the unit has an internal speed threshold, below which it will decide that it isn't moving, and will lock the position, speed and bearing.

I was using it on my boat last weekend, and was just about pulling my hair out after an hour or so.

I don't cruise at high speed most of the time. Sometimes in the boat I am using the trolling motor, or just drifting with the wind. This results in speeds of maybe 1 MPH. The MTK will start deciding "I ain't moving" and will freeze the position. Meanwhile, the boat will be truly drifting at 1 MPH, and 10 minutes later I will have moved 100's of feet, and the MTK will still claim I haven't moved. In order to "wake up" the unit, I need to start the boat motor, and get the boat speed up to >5 MPH. Then the unit will wake up, and all of a sudden the position jumps to the correct position a couple of 100 feet away. This behaviour gets tiring pretty quickly.

I think this is all a case of the firmware being too smart for it's own good. It is unfortunate, because the hardware platform is excellent. The unit is as sensitive as SirfIII, and has working WAAS. Unfortunately, with no way to turn off the dang static navigation, the unit is almost useless for any kind of activity that involves slow speeds like geocaching, pedestrian use, slow boating, etc.

I am guessing the reason the manufacturers implement static navigation, is they are afraid the customers minds will be blown if they are standing still and the unit reports a speed or position change. Therefore the firmware tries to be clever and detect the "still" case. The problem is, there IS NO WAY to determine if you are really still or just moving slowly! It is the nature of the beast.

I would be happy if at least they gave us a means to turn off static nav.
Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2007 :  21:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Musky,

I still don't understand it completely: you say that if you move slowly your MTK gps keeps the position fixed. But in an earlier post (03/11/2007) you showed a distribution of 230000 fixes. I guess that was taken when the unit was at a fixed place. So it didn't freeze? Can you explain?
I just thought that the speed recorded by the unit itself is frozen, but not the position itself. So if you then use software that calculates speed from the position, it gives a real spead although with a large error?

My problem is that my unit gets really lost every now and then. I prepared some plots but don't know yet how to import them in the forum.
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 09 août 2007 :  23:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pwel:
Yes it is confusing, isn't it? My earlier post with the precision data was data taken at a fixed position. If you take data over the course of a few days at a fixed position, the position will change, although the pattern of this change is extremely constrained. (Look at the difference between the SirfIII plots and the MTK plots) By this I mean the position will freeze for minutes at a time, then finally it will creep to a new position, freeze for another couple of minutes, and then start moving again. I think I said in that post that I gave up trying to conclude anything about precision of the unit because of the static nav. processing interfering with the data collection.

Since I am not an MTK firmware engineer, I can't explain exactly what is going in there.

It seems that the algorithms for speed, position and bearing are not tightly coupled either. If the unit gets into the "locked position" mode, and by that I mean the position is frozen, speed is 0.0, and bearing is 0 degrees, if you then speed up to wake the unit up, I have seen the speed go above zero but the bearing still frozen at 0 degrees.

Since I write software, I have got around the "zero bearing" problem by calculating bearing based on the present position vs. the last position. This helps somewhat. I get a valid bearing at low speeds now (<5 MPH), where before I would have none. But still, the position freezes up, and there is no workaround for that!

Again I can't explain all the weirdness I have been seeing.

I do know that in the boat, there were MANY occurances of the freezing of position as I described above, not just one isolated occurance.

I thought perhaps your unit might not be getting lost, but simply freezing, and then you get a stale position that appears to be lost.

Are you using the unit walking? In a car? What speeds are you running at? When it gets lost, how many satellites are you locked on to?

Edited by - musky on 09 août 2007 23:57:39
Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2007 :  08:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Musky,
in my case it's different: I can do pretty good tracks over short distances. The problem is that these are oziexplorer tracks which only give me time, position and altitude. My strange wandering of the gps happens so sudden that I haven't looked at the number of satelites. Ozi also calculates speed for me: it is noisy (jumps from 1 to 4km/h around an average of about 2.5, so you see the speeds are low. I also have some tracks of really steep climbs, they are much slower but the track and its profile look ok). But the distance between subsequent readpoint is pretty small so I don't suffer from the freezing you have(few meters? I will make an overview with the example I am going to post). Also, I did a night's long logging of data, I will look at that as well to see about whether it freezes or not.
So now I am not sure whether my unit has SN on or off?
Go to Top of Page

ipmark

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2007 :  21:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI the newest MTK chips have Static Navigation disabled. My latest shipment of f-tech WAAS solar units use MTK chips with the Static Navigation disabled. I tested them myself after I got the shipment and it picked up my movement and heading at regular walking speeds.

AFAIK the gps manufacturer told me the new chips started shipping about 2 months ago.
Go to Top of Page

musky

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 10 août 2007 :  23:08:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ipmark:
Interesting. Where can I obtain these units? At what firmware rev. did they start turning off static nav? Did they add a command to turn static nav on and off?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2007 :  04:37:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is some confusion about this, I was also told that v1.94 had SN turned off, but then my testing of the Qstarz BT-Q1000 (see separate thread and posting above in the thread) shows it isn't the case, so then I was told that v2 would fix the SN problem but it has no release date.

If you factor that even Garmin, who know a thing or two about using a GPS in pedestrian mode, are having problems on their new eTrex standalone units with the MTK chipset (see the eTrex H series thead) it's safe to think that this problem hasn't been quite fixed yet. The good news though is that while the speed freezes on the Garmin units, the actual position as it is recorded in the log shows the proper movement as seen here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=175&page=7, so there must be a way to show proper speed and heading.

Go to Top of Page

ipmark

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2007 :  04:49:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me try and rephrase. I tried some solar units manufactured by F-tech in April (manufacture date March) and they definitely had the Static Navigation problem.

When I turned the gps on and walked aorund (I verified this with cotoGPS too) with TomTom running, it would show movement but it would never update my heading. If I started to run, you could see the heading immediately start to update in the direction I was running. If I stopped running, the heading would no longer update. I'm interpreting that as the Static Navigation problem.

I also tried another unit that was manufactured in late May where the manufacturer said that they had the latest build of the MTK set. When I turned this one on and started TomTom and started walking, my heading would update within approximately 3 steps. NB: The heading information was generally accurate but I noticed that it did waver a little if I walked slowly. I'm interpreting that as the Static Navigation is turned off.

The only problem I've seen is that the manufacturers don't have any outward indication of the chipset change. Even all the documentation was identical.

Edited by - ipmark on 11 août 2007 04:51:17
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2007 :  06:58:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can you use one of the tools linked in the first message to check the firmware version ? The latest I've seen is v1.94.

Go to Top of Page

ipmark

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2007 :  13:26:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hrmm the unit I have is bluetooth only, and the only thing I have with bluetooth is a palm PDA.

Anyone know of a palm OS tool that will display firmware version?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2007 :  17:54:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No these utilities run on PCs only, have you tried hooking it up via USB to your PC, the F-Tech's may work as a GPS mouse.

Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 11 août 2007 :  21:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ipmark

Hrmm the unit I have is bluetooth only, and the only thing I have with bluetooth is a palm PDA.

Anyone know of a palm OS tool that will display firmware version?

I've added Firmware version identification for the iblue 747 (and iblue 757) on the 'connection tab' of the SW on http://sf.net/projects/bt747. It works on my Palm Lifedrive with Bluetooth.
Go to Top of Page

ipmark

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 août 2007 :  00:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using that program, the info I get back is:

Model: 0013
Firmware: M-core_1.9
MainVersion:1.902_48__1102_0012.0609(it gets cut off here)
Version:0.77.14(25.07.2007)
Go to Top of Page

ipmark

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 12 août 2007 :  00:57:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess my question is... is what I described in my previous message Static Nav or not? I guess I'm not even sure.

Oh, and to Musky, I got mine off of ebay.
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 12 août 2007 :  11:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerning static nav, I have the impression that when setting the fix frequency faster than 1 Hz, that the static navigation feature is not operational. I've set the fixing period to 500 ms (2Hz) and kept the logging period set to 1 sec (a multiple of 500 ms !).
Go to Top of Page

iNerd

Finland
7 Posts

Posted - 16 août 2007 :  17:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After a quick test with SmartComGPS seems like that 2Hz frequency setting really works, thanks mdeweerd. :o)

Firmware:
M-core_1.8,0001
1.902_40__1102_0001,0609_m0279,001
Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2007 :  09:32:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last days I had a good look at my Qstarz BT810. When I don't move, I always see small changes in position (several digits behind the decimal point) and when I walk slowly, my gps keeps on telling that I am moving. So in my bt810, static navigation is off, as far as I can see.

Edited by - pwel on 23 août 2007 14:43:03
Go to Top of Page

JJones

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2007 :  12:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
iTrek Z1 / iBlue 757 Resistor Hack

The "resistor hack" is even easier with the i.Trek Z1 ( iBlue 757 etc ). These are the solar bluetooth gps loggers with the flip open antenna over the solar panel.

The pictures are from my iTrek Z1 .

If you want to assume your device is identical to mine then you can avoid taking yours apart.. all you need to do is peel out the backing from behind the battery!

As the picture shows, you use the 1k resistor to connect the 3rd hole from the left ( labeled TX - the picture is a little misleading - third hole over labeled TX! ) with the second hole from the right ( no label ).
Note that there is a foam pad stuck to the other side so you'll want to cut the resistor legs down a short as possible - but otherwise you're only heating up the foam pad.

I took mine all the way apart, peeled off a foam layer on the underside and found the RX label which connected to the 2nd hole in:

Note that in the above picture the RX and TX refer to the GPS RX and GPS TX. We are only interested in connecting the GPS RX to the bluetooth TX labeled on the other side. The GPS TX is already connected to bluetooth! FYI: The other pad is labelled "BAT"

Use this information at your own risk. The design might change or this might fry your unit. I've only just done this myself and my unit might fry yet too! I did connect to my datalogger using bluetooth and sucessfully downloaded the logged gps info.

UPDATE: having trouble downloading over bluetooth.. gets so far and then stops.. then resumes but it looks like it downloads the start of the file as the middle and then again as the end..?
Oh.. and what happened to my pictures?
UPDATE2: Changed my computer's bluetooth "new device scan" to every 2 minutes - I think it was interfering with the transfer. Other posts indicate the DataLogger tool supplied with the gps is poorly written and doesn't handle comm errors well.
I uploaded the pictures again.. hope they stay up this time!

ps.
I'm running the data logger on Debian (Kubuntu) Linux using Wine and a .wine/dosdevices/com10 linked to /dev/rfcomm0. Next step is to find some way to download logs to my new Nokia 770 ;) I see Devlin has done a C program to be released soon.. source I hope.. so I can compile for the ARM processor on my 770.

Edited by - JJones on 20 août 2007 22:48:55
Go to Top of Page

Murphy

15 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2007 :  15:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you wery much JJones, this post is very instructive !
I just bought the Z1 GPS and hack it at full 5Hz (gps AND log, see here) and I was boring to start an Windows PC every time I want to download my logs...
Now I will do it under my Debian :)
If you find something for your Nokia I'm interessed too for my lovely n800, but I think it will be difficult because there's no wine and Datalog's software for ARM cpu. Running Maemo Mapper is simpler but with my first test I think it does not handles 5Hz recording very well (receiving and updating is ok but the track does not record 5 times per seconds).

Edited by - Murphy on 17 août 2007 15:28:16
Go to Top of Page

pwel

15 Posts

Posted - 17 août 2007 :  22:38:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Herewith I post some tracks I took with a MTK chipset GPS receiver (Qstarz BT810) in my backpack. This is to show the weird behaviour I sometimes get.

In the first image you see a track which I walked first downwards to the lake (in red, until 1) where I sat a while and then I returned exactly on the same way (in blue). As you can see, while still at the lake, the position starts to become wrong and only to return after a while (2).

When looking at the altitude profile (second image, I swapped the direction of the way down to compare both ways) you see that during the weird behaviour also the altitude goes crazy. And in the end, when returning at exactly the same position, the difference in altitude is more than 50 meters.

Another altitude profile is shown in the 3rd graph. Here the position of the up and down track was pretty much the same but in the end, the track of the way down suddenly drops and for some part the difference is more than 100m.

Does anyone have similar experience with (1) the weird behaviour and (2) the inaccuracy of the altitude? Is this normal for other chipsets too? I must say I was a little disappointed with it

Edited by - pwel on 17 août 2007 22:38:49
Go to Top of Page

JJones

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2007 :  02:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Murphy, glad you found it useful.
I've seen reference to java software to download the logs so I expect there may be a python or perl version ( which should be able to run on a nokia webpad without much work.. I hope). I'll let you know what I find, or make ).
Go to Top of Page

Murphy

15 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2007 :  10:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JJones, there's a problem with your pictures : I don't see them anymore.
Please edit your previous message or repost them, I need them for the resistor hack !
Go to Top of Page

devlin

4 Posts

Posted - 20 août 2007 :  11:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Murphy,
I've done a Linux/C application which I use to download the logfiles from
my iBlue 747. The only functionality is to read log data and output
as binary, CSV and GPX format files.
It's in a 'works for me state' but I need to do some cleanup before releasing it
(somewhere).

/devlin
Go to Top of Page

mdeweerd

799 Posts

Posted - 20 août 2007 :  14:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello devlin

The only difficulty with my Java application is getting the serial link to work. The program as is does run on linux. I'm trying to get a hold of a good Linux CD/DVD that will allow me to debug that (i.e., java should be installed on the DVD/CD).
If you download the content with your C program in a binary file, then you can point to that file in the Java application and convert it to the formats that are supported there.
Go to Top of Page

Allycat

United Kingdom
59 Posts

Posted - 20 août 2007 :  16:18:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pwel

when I walk slowly, my gps keeps on telling that I am moving. So in my bt810, static navigation is on, as far as I can see.

Hi pwel,

I don't know about the MTK definition, but with SiRF (who originally developed SN) the characteristic you describe is SN OFF (i.e. disabled).
quote:
Originally posted by pwel
Does anyone have similar experience with (1) the weird behaviour and (2) the inaccuracy of the altitude? Is this normal for other chipsets too? I must say I was a little disappointed with it

Yes, what you describe is not very unusual, particularly in mountainous regions.

The GPS system calculates distances (from known reference points) by the "time of flight" of radio signals. It is possible for a mountain to act as a "mirror" to the radio signal, so the time of flight indicates a larger distance to the satellite. Normally, there are more satellites "visible" than the minimum required for a fix (3 for lat/long only, 4 for altitude as well) and the GPS engine can eliminate any "bad" signals. But many of the 9-12 satellites typically above the (sea) horizon may be hidden behind mountains. If there is only a minimum configuration, and the direct signal from a "reflected" satellite is hidden, then the GPS cannot know of the error.

Typically, altitude errors are twice as large as horizontal errors (in terms or metres). Consider two satellites, one to the east, the other west. If there is an error in the clock (time reference) in the GPS then the distances to the two satellites will be calculated incorrectly, but the errors will (at least partly) cancel, because the satellites are in opposite directions. However, this cannot happen in the "altitude" direction, because the GPS cannot see satellites below the ground. In mountainous regions the situation is even worse, because the GPS may not even "see" any satellites at low elevation angles (and again there could be reflected signals).

You can get some idea how well the GPS position is being calculated by watching the "Satellites" or "Sky View" display on most handheld GPSs, and some PDA software. However, navigation software doesn't normally record the status of the satellite "geometry", but only the GPS receiver's position and time, etc.. But, some PDA programs can record the complete NMEA data stream, so you can potentially analyse the signal conditions at a later date.

Cheers, Alan.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05