Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 GPS Dataloggers and Geocoding
 [TOPIC] iBlue 757 / iTrek Z1 Logger, BT/MTK
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

93991 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2007 :  14:07:02  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
[TOPIC] iBlue 757 Pro / iTrek Z1 Data Logger
MTK Chipset, Solar Panel, Bluetooth, 8Mb memory

1. INTRODUCTION

Announced in early 2007, the iBlue 757 "Pro" (the 757 was a NemeriX version with no logger that apparently got cancelled) is also available as the Semsons iTrek Z1. It packs in a lot of features :
- Bluetooth
- Solar Panel
- Data Logger with 8mb of memory (about 30,000 points)
- MTK GPS Chipset : a powerful yet lean chipset that debuted in 2006 and that was reviewed in the iBlue 737 and Qstarz 818 articles.

I received a review unit earlier this week from Semsons and have been testing it under all possible angles. Stay tuned for more, in the meantime here are some pictures:

2. PICTURE GALLERY

A pretty large unit and the casing has a "prototype" feel to it

The Solar Panel...

...compared to the other Solar GPS Receivers...

...and to popular Bluetooth GPS Receivers

A look at the inside
A large patch antenna for excellent sensitivity

Catching the sun on the dash !

3. PERFORMANCE TESTING

Below is an indoor track on foot. The 757 "stalls" completely while the 338 does some pretty decent tracking. Now these are extreme situations so if you're just hiking it might be ok. I get the sense that once it gets "confused" the MTK software has trouble getting back on its feet unless there is some velocity.

With higher velocity (driving in and out of a parking lot), the MTK based receivers perform better although the 757 seems to be tuned differently than the Qstarz 818 that produced a cleaner track while exiting the parking lot :

The two SiRFstarIII (firmware 3.2.2) based receivers tracks have been added, for some reason their tracks continue underground although they were not tracking.

4. OTHER COMMENTS

LOGGING SOFTWARE - WIP
The logging software is apparently being reworked by Transystem so I'll save my comments for a new version as the current version is not really functional with its very slow transfers and frequent time-outs that prevent the transfer of long logging sessions.

BATTERY LIFE
A first test run in navigation mode (no logging) resulted in a solid 25 hours of battery life. Since the battery is rated at 1000mAh, the time to power ratio is equivalent to the Qstarz 818 and slighlty higher than the original 737. A second test run with logging on came in at 24.5 hours, so no problems in this area.

Questions, comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

wrainey

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  22:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was interested in this unit, but the evidence of erratic performance at slow speeds is not attractive for hiking. A couple questions arise from looking at other threads and the manual online.
1. The manual software section (via the link at Semsons) pictures a press-to-log icon, but that isn't possible in this unit, correct?
2. The 747 thread indicates that there is an mmcx port on this unit by which one could attach an external antenna. None of the images I could find show an external port and it isn't mentioned in the manual.Do you need to dismantle it and access the connector for the on board antenna?
3. The geocoding thread mentions this unit will work as a USB mouse GPS. Is that feasible with a handheld (thus saving BT power drain) and will it also log if providing NAV data in this mode?

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93991 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2007 :  22:52:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the MTK chipset does not appear to be properly tuned for consistent performance on foot for now. As for your questions :
1. No PTL button on the 757, the 747 has one, but with some limitations as discussed in its thread
2. Correct, no external antenna port
3. The USB mode would only really make sense with a laptop. Assuming you can get the proper cable for your PDA you'll still need the drivers.

Generally speaking the logging modules of the 747 and 757 units are going to need a bit more work before thet can be recommended. Not only is the data transfer very slow but it frequently times out at least with my setup.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

wrainey

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2007 :  00:40:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very helpful to clarify that, for the moment, there is less than meets the eye in these units.
Unfortunately the Globalsat you chose for logging and geocoding photos doesn't seem to have reached North American vendors, including the company web site.
Go to Top of Page

jnettleton

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  01:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to GPS receivers and have done enough research to narrow my choice the iBlue757 Pro and WBT-201. I was looking for a data logger that I could connect to both a PDA (bluetooth) and Laptop (USB) and I like the solar panel feature...

How often do firmware updates occur? Does Transystem seem committed to improving the MTK chipset performance? Can performance be improved mostly in firmware by tuning the chipset? Have you seen significant improvements on other receivers with firmware updates? Is there data logger that performs better?

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93991 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  10:25:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
GPS Firmware updates are rare, for SiRF receivers I can only recall two since 2002, the Fortuna Xtrac v2 and Globalsat BT-338. As you can see in the WBT-100 thread there have been quite a few for that one though. One of the reasons is because they are risky so unless there is a USB connection it seems they don't want to chance it. You'll have to ping TS for your other questions, but other than the PC software, the 757 is quite functional as it is.

Go to Top of Page

Bartman_x50v

42 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2007 :  17:04:35  Show Profile  Visit Bartman_x50v's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi gpspassion have you see the new software for logging??
V2.0 (20th April ' 07)
http://www.transystem.com.tw/p-gps-iblue757.htm#
what do you think about it?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93991 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2007 :  15:45:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting, will give it a try tonight, full info :

- To support MS Vista
- To improve USB downloading speed
- To resume the COM port setting last time user connected
- To reedit the awkward wording on the software

http://www.transystem.com.tw/drivers_tool_iBlue757.htm

Go to Top of Page

jnettleton

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 26 mai 2007 :  09:07:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried V2.0 and it worked a little better. The data log screen shows a full log (34670 records) but I'm only able to download 6490. I tried several times to download more records but it would stop sending records after about 72% complete (probably because of a power save/sleep mode).

The "Draw Map" button has a limit of 5000 records to export to Google Map so it wasn't too useful for longer trips.

Communication with the GPS seems to be somewhat more reliable. I haven't gotten any "unable to read NMEA command" errors but the program has crashed several times.

I saw minor improvements but the upgrade is helpful...
Go to Top of Page

Bartman_x50v

42 Posts

Posted - 08 juin 2007 :  13:10:19  Show Profile  Visit Bartman_x50v's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is out the v2.1 01.06.07

V2.1 (1st June ' 07)  
Add functions: 
1. day light saving time function
2. km/ mile unit change function
3. generate a shortcut on desktop 

User Friendly: 
1. a confirm message is shown before saving file
2. CPU loading down to 10%

Go to Top of Page

lyletanner

13 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  09:49:38  Show Profile  Visit lyletanner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since it has the MTK chipset, can the iBlue 757 / iTrek Z1 be tweaked for 5Hz with software through the USB port? If so, is the memory fast enough to log at 5Hz?
Go to Top of Page

divertisimo

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  16:20:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have purchased the iBlue 757 and downloaded the operation manual.
I did notice in the manual, the setting for log time interval was only 1 Hz minimum.
I did notice a tweak for the iBlue 737 to enable a 5 Hz log time interval.
Is there a tweak for the iBlue 757 to accomplish this?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93991 Posts

Posted - 04 juil. 2007 :  23:28:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes, same software, see the MTK thread. You can't log at 5Hz though.

Go to Top of Page

Murphy

15 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2007 :  15:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You can't log at 5Hz though" => not sure :

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=91761
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93991 Posts

Posted - 07 août 2007 :  23:27:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's to be "not sure" about? Hindsight being 20/20, yes, someone figured out a way to log >1Hz now, alhtough under certain conditions.

Go to Top of Page

Murphy

15 Posts

Posted - 15 août 2007 :  10:48:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you're right, I misunderstood.
The device could send bluetooth signal at 5Hz permanently but the included logger stay at 1Hz, except if you go over a special limit (10km/h or 10m minimum).

Edit: Oh, with NMEA Monitor we set the gps to log at 5Hz

Edited by - Murphy on 15 août 2007 11:26:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05