Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2403

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 Update v3.20 is here!
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 18 mars 2004 :  22:59:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here are the changes:
1. Faster GPS acquisition time.
2. Fixed loss of audio file problem.
3. Fixed occasional unit lock-up on start-up. Would stay on blue screen or Magellan screen.
4. Fixed loss of address book problem.

Proceed here for the download (3.6Mb) - if this doesn't work, right-click and select "save target as..."

Enjoy!

Ads

ziri

5 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2004 :  09:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just installed it on my RoadMate 500 - it works fine. Can't tell any difference right away, the unit had good view of sky at all times. But faster GPS acquisition (even a little bit) always helps :-)
Go to Top of Page

asagy

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2004 :  18:30:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When trying the link once, all I get is a blank page. Double clicking gets me a lot of "gibrish" Any ideas?

Best Regards, Art
Go to Top of Page

Donrim

11 Posts

Posted - 19 mars 2004 :  20:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened to me also. To successfully load the update, I opened the MRM 700 folder (one of the unzipped folders in the download). Then I opened the enclosed system folder. Inside this folder is the executable loading program for the 700 (USB732015.exe). If you double click on this folder, the program should start.

As others have commented the update makes the touch screen much more responsive. A brief tap now reliably actuates the soft keys.
Go to Top of Page

asagy

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2004 :  02:53:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. Got it. It works...

quote:
Originally posted by LBOCEAN

DOWNLOAD INFO

** To download the file, Right-Click on the above link, then Save to your local drive **

Best Regards, Art

Edited by - asagy on 20 mars 2004 02:53:56
Go to Top of Page

jfh

74 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2004 :  21:13:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you find the list of what was fixed? Is that a comprehensive list?
Go to Top of Page

bigbex

70 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2004 :  21:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran the update on my RM700. I had firmware 3.11 and installed the 3.20 version from the forum.

Everything went okay. I did have to restart the roadmate like the instructions indicated I might...

As far as what I could tell it fixed... the touch screen action is much better.

Anything beyond that... I cant tell any difference. I wish Magellan would post what it fixed. If the touch screen is the only noticable change, this is not much of an update.

Magellan needs to get in gear with some updates.
Go to Top of Page

jfh

74 Posts

Posted - 20 mars 2004 :  21:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I didn't check the tutorial before I upgraded to 3.20, but it looks like that has been updated as well. There are a couple of topics at the end that I don't recall (e.g. how to use the trip computer).
Go to Top of Page

LBOCEAN

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2004 :  10:17:21  Show Profile  Visit LBOCEAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First Round Update, Not so good.

Model 500 - Purchased Dec 2003 @ Costco, Signal Hill, Ca.

- Performed Update as instructed
* Unit did shutdown after status bar went full
* Unit would not power up with button and required power cable disconnect/reconnect as suggested.
- Unit completed upgrade after power-up

* While performing "Inititalize GPS" task, upon selecting "yes", unit powered off.
- Second attempt to "Initialize GPS" was successful

- Used unit about 5 mins.
* Screen seemed very sluggish, not responsive as others discribed
* Upon pressing power button, screen went black, but power remained on.

* Continuous pressing of power button = no response. Disconnected power cable to power down unit.

* First day of use, unit touch screen response sluggish
* Unit reset one time during "Calculating Route" task.

Edited by - LBOCEAN on 21 mars 2004 10:23:05
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2004 :  18:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa, careful, there. There are two DIFFERENT firmware upgrade packages, one for the 500 and one for the 700. I have not experimented to see what happens if you try the wrong package on your machine, so I'm not sure if it refuses to load, or if it loads but fries your machine, or if it makes no difference at all.

The zipfile pointed to in the first message in this thread contains BOTH upgrade packages. If you only need one of them, it'll be more efficient (especially if you're on a low-speed connection) and also helpful to prevent inadvertently attempting to load the wrong version onto your machine if you download directly from Magellan's site only the one you need, here:

http://www.magellangps.com/en/support/MRM_firmware.asp

According to Magellan's website, here's what the update fixes (below). It's clearly not a complete list, though, because it doesn't mention the "livelier" response to the touchscreen that I and some others have noticed.

----------------
(Magellan's) List of enhancements and fixes for the Magellan RoadMate:

Versions 2.3 to 3.14

Cold temperature start-up of the internal hard drive
Added "Initialize GPS" and "Set GPS Position" options to Diagnostics Menu
Version 3.14 to 3.20

Enhanced the satellite reception and performance.
Fixed disappearance of Address Book entries.
Fixed occasional unit lock-up issue
Example: unit stays on the blue screen at power up.
Fixed disappearance of audio prompt
Example: when switching from the female to male voice prompt.

Edited by - akahan on 21 mars 2004 18:10:57
Go to Top of Page

LBOCEAN

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2004 :  22:00:43  Show Profile  Visit LBOCEAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct. I did see the two different directories after downloading and unziping the file.

The update I selected was for my model unit, the 500.
(I actually removed the 700 directory prior, because I did'nt need it)

Edited by - LBOCEAN on 21 mars 2004 22:01:54
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2004 :  20:56:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another possible benefit of the update: My 3.20 update was installed by Magellan when I sent my Roadmate 500 in for repair because it kept "forgetting" all the user settings, including the addresses I'd entered. I figured that they had done something else to fix the unit, and that the update was just done as a matter of course. But I just called Magellan to inquire what repair they had performed on the unit, and they said the ONLY thing they did was update the firmware, and that doing so should fix that particular bug. I'm not sure I'm convinced, but the thing has not yet lost its memory since it's been back in service, which is nearly 2 weeks. Time will tell.

So it is *possible* that if you're one of the people who's been having the problem with the Roadmate losing its memory from time to time, updating to version 3.20 might fix that.

Has anyone had the "memory loss" problem AFTER upgrading to 3.20?

Edited by - akahan on 24 mars 2004 22:14:16
Go to Top of Page

kenjack

8 Posts

Posted - 26 mars 2004 :  15:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Want to update to 3.2 software but have some questions concerning the "mechanics" of the entire process .... I will explain what I think has to be done and would appreciate any corrections:

1. Bring the RM700 and the "cradle" into the house to my computer.
2. Attach the cradle to the RM700.
3. Connect DC Power to the cradle?????
4. Connect one end of the 5 pin mini USB cable to the USB connector on the cradle.
4a. Connect the other end of the USB cable to a "powered USB port" on the computer
5. Download the RM700 3.2 software onto my computer harddrive from either the Magellan web site or the GPSpassion web site.
6. Unzip the downloaded file
7. Turn the RM700 on via the power button?????
7a. Using MY COMPUTER check that RM700 looks like a HardDrive to the computer .... should be able to see a directory of what files exist on the RM700???
8. Click on the ".exe" file to start the upload process?
9. Follow instructions provided by the .exe program??

Would appreciate any comments/suggestions/corrections to the above process (I haven't done it yet since I need to go buy a mini USB cable). It would appear as though the cheapest USB cable that can be bought at BestBuy or Circuit city would cost $19.95 (6 foot Beldin cable ... does that make sense?). My main reason for wanting to do the upgrade is that I have read that maybe it might correct my "memory loss" problem which I just experienced one time about 4 days ago. Although I have heard that some people have upgraded and still experience the memory loss problem.
Go to Top of Page

LBOCEAN

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 26 mars 2004 :  17:27:42  Show Profile  Visit LBOCEAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There will also be an instructional "read me" file within the installation itself which you can print out before you begin to confirm your steps.

Also, If you have a Target or Walmart or something similar, you may be able to pick up that cable for 1/2 the price you mentioned. If you have a digital camera, check to see if a cable came with it that can be used, my Olympus came with one (although I don't need it), that can save you the trip and the dollars.
Go to Top of Page

kenjack

8 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2004 :  20:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "readme file" that came as part of the download does not say anything about connecting 12V power to the RM700 ... It only says connect the RM700 to your PC and then start the update process and further instructions would appear. It does say however not to remove power from the RM700 during the update process. I am confused as to whether that means the USB power provided by the USB cable or the 12V power provided by the power cable? I would like to know what some of these instructions will be prior to connecting the RM700 to my PC.

Would appreciate a response from someone out there that has sucessfully gone through the computer "update process" for the RM700?

Again I would like to know if 12V power needs to be applied and if so (1) When is the power turned on? (2) What RM700 buttons/screen touches are needed to put it in the correct state for the update process?
Go to Top of Page

asagy

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2004 :  21:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you need the 12V adapter (RS etc.) to power the unit up...
It's quite a painless process, did it twice (to 3012 then to 3.20) w/o any issues.
Good luck

Best Regards, Art
Go to Top of Page

ekaxel

294 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2004 :  22:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If someone hasn't said it, all you have to do is power the unit up after the USB is connected, and the PC will detect it. You can then proceed with the upgrade. Make sure you have the right plug on the AC adapter, and that the polarity is right!
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2004 :  23:14:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An update on my little RM500 saga: My loyal readers will recall that Magellan updated my firmware to version 3.20, saying that this would solve the problem of the unit occasionally forgetting all its user configurable settings (including all the addresses I repeatedly painstakingly punched in.) After a little more than two weeks in use with version 3.20, the unit has AGAIN forgotten all its settings and addresses. So, at least in my case, Ver. 3.20 did not fix this particular problem. Magellan's now sending me out a replacement unit.

Edited by - akahan on 29 mars 2004 23:20:34
Go to Top of Page

LBOCEAN

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 30 mars 2004 :  19:52:12  Show Profile  Visit LBOCEAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a followup to my RM Update, I too have remaining issues. The unit still resets (out of the blue) and will loose user settings. My address data, strangly enough, still is in place. But I only have about 4 or 5 entries in each of the USER1,2,3 profiles.

One new thing that has developed is I will Zoom the map to 1/2 Mile, pull into a parking lot, turn the unit off, then the car. Do my store thing, then get back into the car, start the car, turn the unit on and as I'm driving, the current map level will be at 1 Mile?

I'm calling Magellan today get an RMA for repair or replacement.
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2004 :  23:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further update: After only three days of use, the replacement unit has now lost its memory in exactly the same way the old one used to. Ironically, it happened as I started the car, departing from the United Parcel Service store, where I was dropping off the old unit for shipment back to Thales. It's not the CF card, since (1) the stuff it loses is not stored in the CF card, it's stored in the unit's internal memory; and (2) I'm using a different CF card. Could it POSSIBLY be something I'm doing? Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

ekaxel

294 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  02:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is your unit connected to a "accessory" power source, or an "ignition" power source. If it is accessory, that could be your problem. The transient on/off/on when turning your key apparently will do it, regardless of software. I had this problem when I first started using my RM connected to the cigarette lighter plug (accessory). When I hard wired to an "ignition" source, it never happened again.
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  03:00:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's plugged into the cigarette lighter. Is the distinction you're making between "accessory" and "ignition" a distinction between "always on" and "switched"?
Go to Top of Page

ekaxel

294 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  05:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most lighters are in the accessory position on the ignition key (You can turn them on without turning the ignition on). That is the wrong place for a RM.
Go to Top of Page

LBOCEAN

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  19:45:57  Show Profile  Visit LBOCEAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Formality. The instructions don't differentiate between types of power connections, nor methods of power up/down. Even when I attempt to follow a certain power cycle routine, the unit still fails in some manner.
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  20:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my case, it seems pretty clear that the memory loss occurs either during the power up cycle or the power down cycle. I had a lengthy talk with a competent-sounding tech at Magellan; they are now trying to compile a list of the makes/models/years of cars where this is happening, thinking that it may have something to do with voltage or amperage fluctuations going to the unit as the car is being started, and that on some cars these fluctuations are more severe, or different in a relevant way, than on other cars.

LBOCEAN, your issue is different than mine, I think; my unit never resets while in use, but rather resets (loses memory) either during the shutdown or power up process. That is, it's fine when it shuts off, but has lost its mind when I power it back up. It seems sensible that if the problem is being caused during power up by irregular voltage going to the unit (momentarily too high or too low), a workaround would be to have the unit unplugged when you're starting the car. At least, that's what I'm going to try next (as well as, perhaps, rerouting power to my cigarette lighter so that it's "always on", as ekaxel suggests) I suppose the theory of "transient on/off/on" causing the problem -- rather than momentary high or low voltage -- could be tested by rapidly connecting/disconnecting/connecting the unit, and seeing if that causes memory loss.

If the problem really is related to voltage irregularities, I doubt they'd be able to fix it through firmware.

It might be interesting to find out the makes/models of cars belonging to people on this forum who are having this problem. Mine's a 2001 Saab 9/3 Viggen.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Seaman

13 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  21:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Akahan,

You're likely on the right track it sounds (granted I've been fortunate and haven't experienced that problem at all yet). I would be curious (in addition to wondering what particular vehicles are involved) if there is a common denominator in how they are wired, ie ACCY bus vs IGN bus. Being wired to the ACCY bus would be more likely to cause power-on problems, in my opinion, than being wired to the IGN bus *or* manually powering the unit on (has anyone experienced the issue when *not* using the auto power-on feature?)

An external solution might be had by using a time-delay relay which provides a few seconds delay before providing power to the unit. I'd be curious to know if this would solve the problem in any of these cases.

Here is an example of a delay-on-operate time delay relay which could be used for this purpose: (this one is rather expensive, however at about $60 US)

http://www.magnecraft.com/products/section4_11.pdf

You could adjust this for, say, 3 seconds, which would allow the voltage to stabilize before powering on the RM. Just a thought -

I'd be happy to try and find an affordable one if anyone wants to pursue the issue.

Cheers,

Brad
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2004 :  22:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The time delay relay is an interesting idea; I wonder if Magellan might, if it turns out this is the problem. build something like this into the cigarette lighter adapter. For now, I'm going to just make sure to have the unit unplugged when I'm turning the ignition on; if it retains its memory under those conditions for more than a few weeks, I'll have some confidence that we're on the right track here.
Go to Top of Page

ekaxel

294 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2004 :  01:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't say that the lighter was always on, only that it was usually wired to the "accessory" bus rather than the "ignition" bus. Things on the ignition bus don't experience the transient when the key moves between accessory and ignition.
Go to Top of Page

Rita

33 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2004 :  03:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What type of loss of audio files does this update fix? After my last memory loss, I also lost all sound on my Roadmate 700. Could this update possibly fix this issue?

I have a laptop, so I could do the update in the car. Would it cause any problems to do this update while the Roadmate is plugged into the car, not a normal outlet?

Also, I intend to buy the extended warranty. Since there's a possibility that I have a defective unit, Magellan might send me a new one with a different serial number while my application for the extended warranty with the original serial number is in the mail. Has anyone had any experience with Magellan to say whether this would cause further headaches down the road - if so, I'll just wait till after the extended warranty has been purchased and approved. Since I think I have to purchase it within the first 90 days, I have to do this very soon.

Any advice is appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

LBOCEAN

USA
134 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2004 :  20:28:33  Show Profile  Visit LBOCEAN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FYI: 1993 Toyota Corolla LE (4 Door Sedan)
- Ign Off = A/C Power Off
- Ign (one click right) = A/C On
- Start Engine = Momentary loss of A/C (RM will go through restart process)

Regarding the warranty of the RM's.

I'm more than certain Magellan is aware there are a multitude of issues that range between the two product models. And that they are doing what can be done to resolve them. If updates don't work, perhaps a replacement model will. Maybe it will take 2 or 3, who knows.

In either case, with all the information that has been accumulating on this forum, it would be safe to say that Magellan would make every effort to get the unit(s) in full working order (less the map data, which is actually farmed out).

Simply put; You as a consumer have the right to a fully working/functional product. If it cannot be repaired, then you are intitled to a full refund.

Being involved in Consumer Protection for some time now, there is one thing that goes well beyond any warranty on any product. That being, Customer Satisfaction.

All this aside, as long as the MFG is making efforts to take care of the problems, which Magellan is technically doing by providing alternatives to remidy individual issues, the only thing to be concerned about would be if all the units are recalled.

Personal note: That would be the ultimate bummer of course, but with as many units out there that I'm guessing there are, I beleive it will simply be a matter of cycling out the problematic units with non-problematic units.

Side note: One thing to think about here, is that those who are on this forum, whom have provided feedback about there units, we've all become a collective of data, kinda like a beta test team (in a matter of speaking), which I think is cool.

We all become part of the solution :)

Go to Top of Page

ekaxel

294 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2004 :  22:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dan:
Are you sure your interruption is between ign and start, and not between acc and ign. Sounds like cars that have a momentary interrupt between ign and start are prone to the problem.
Go to Top of Page

anthlover

2307 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2004 :  04:33:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really if the unit is Fused correclty there should be no overage voltage, underage voltage should be compensated for internally. That is it should like a Camera Flash (have thryseler circuitry or other) and store enough juice to shut the unit down gracfully.
Go to Top of Page

asagy

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2004 :  15:57:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since we're on the topic of "strange things taking place..." I upgraded my 700 from 3.10 ti 3.14 and consequently, 3.20. Now when I start the unit and ask it to guide me to a specific destination, it calculets route but from the last location used, without any correlation to where I am at the present time. In other words it remembers where it was - rather than checking where it is and only after a while - recalculets route. It does not make any difference if I shut the unit off at the end of the previous journey or not.

Anyone else has the same observation? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Best Regards, Art
Go to Top of Page

marex

Canada
20 Posts

Posted - 05 avr. 2004 :  21:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup! Had strange behaviour after loading 3.20

Sattelite acquisition took forever. Did not know where it was etc.

Suspected that the update to 3.20 was not done properly - it hung at the end and would not start properly upon restart.
So I did the update again and it completed properly.

Now it works very well!

marex
Go to Top of Page

LoneStar

158 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2004 :  20:42:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asagy

Since we're on the topic of "strange things taking place..." I upgraded my 700 from 3.10 ti 3.14 and consequently, 3.20. Now when I start the unit and ask it to guide me to a specific destination, it calculets route but from the last location used, without any correlation to where I am at the present time. In other words it remembers where it was - rather than checking where it is and only after a while - recalculets route. It does not make any difference if I shut the unit off at the end of the previous journey or not.

How quickly are you asking for a routing after powering up the unit? Remember, any GPS navigator has to "find itself" each time it powers on. To speed that process, most modern units have two features -- an initial assumption of where it is located, and a built-in almanac so the unit immediately knows which satellites it should look for. The initial assumption of position is the location it last got a good "fix". In almost every case, that's where the unit was powered down (and it makes no difference how that was done -- by removing the power source, such as turning off the key in a vehicle that doesn't have an "always-on" cigarette lighter, by removing the plug from the cigarette lighter socket, by removing the RoadMate from its cradle, or by pressing the unit's power button.) When newly-powered, the unit will consider its initial position assumption to be correct until it establishes a lock on several satellites, gets a good fix on its current location, and either validates or discards its assumption. If you ask for a routing before that process is complete, you'll almost certainly get routed from that last known position. Once the unit finishes the process, and finds that it is in a new location, it will do a re-route automatically.

How do you know if a RoadMate is working off a satellite fix or off a prior assumed position? The easiest way is to watch the direction indicator at the bottom left of the map screen -- if it's black, red, or yellow, it hasn't gotten a current satellite fix yet. If the indicator's green or blue, it has a current satellite fix. For more information than that, you can watch the first GPS Status screen (check the FAQ topic to get to the thread that describes how to interpret that screen.)

Despite Magellan's slogan, "Turn it on and go," you need to give a RoadMate a minute or so after "turn it on" before you "go" -- the unit could take as long as 10 minutes to start navigating if you don't.

rj5620

56 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2004 :  02:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Yup! Had strange behaviour after loading 3.20"

Same here, during the install, the program froze and would not finish. Hopefully a re-install will solve the problem.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

rj5620

56 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2004 :  00:26:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to re-install 3.20 on my 500 and my computer cannot find the roadmate. Have USB cable connected and powercord. Have tried rebooting and reconnecteding the cords. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Richard
Go to Top of Page

ekaxel

294 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2004 :  02:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What OS (computer) are you using? If it is below w98os2, or w2k, you will need to load the USB driver available on the web site.
Go to Top of Page

rj5620

56 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2004 :  02:42:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is XP and I have already used this cpu to initially load 3.20. The install froze at the end, so I am attempting to re-load it, but when I plug in the USB cable, windows says there is a problem.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

anthlover

2307 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2004 :  06:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does the RoadMate Still boot up/work?

If it not still work, and you can not communicate with it... A failed Flash upgrade may require a trip back to factory....
Go to Top of Page

rj5620

56 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2004 :  16:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Roadmate 500 works fine and boots up fine. Reason for re-install is that it cannot find sat as fast as prior firmware. 3.20 seems to be slower than older firmware. Wonder if I reinstall 3.12? from Megellan CD over 3.20 and then try to install 3.20 again.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

anthlover

2307 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2004 :  20:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, So It works. But when you hook it up it up to a Computer via USB it no longer shows up (and you have rebooted said computer and perhaps tried more then one computer?).

Not all Devices can be Flashed down though most can. 3.2 Should be 3.2, no harm in doing it again...

Are you sure that you repeatedly stop watched from a fixed position multiple times the two different firmwares?
Of course the Sats may not be fixed, and of course atmospheric and other varibles could come into play....

***One note After a firmware upgrade GPS units sometimes take longer (one time) to read Map DB and to find its position in the world. Thus you might want after firmware update, to give it a long view of the sky (walk away for 5 or 10 minutes). Then do any benchmarking on subsquent restarts.

Lastly, I can not recommend External Attennas enough..

Having an External Antenna Allows you the following Benefits

1) Faster and Greater Qty. of Signal Locks
2) Freedom of your Co Pilot or you to Lap the GPS with out loosing signal
3) Freedom to use indoors
4) A way around Metalized or weird Angle Front winshields. There are many windshields that have Metal for heating or othere reasons that completly Block signal through windshield
5) Look for one with a Suction mount option, that allows use of Front, Passenger or Rear Window (at least an 8Ft cord). It is also good to have magnetic, but unless you have outside roof access with *OUT Cable crushing Doors and Windows, this is not an option, plus you can just leave the Antenna in Car durring trips where Externally someone might mess with it.

Edited by - anthlover on 10 avr. 2004 20:16:44
Go to Top of Page

rj5620

56 Posts

Posted - 11 avr. 2004 :  14:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sucessfully put 3.12 back onto the Roadmate 500. Works well again. For me the upgrade to 3.20 slowed down acquisition time. Anyway, I will wait for 3.3?

Richard
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 14 avr. 2004 :  02:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the problem of the 500's NAN memory periodically losing the user-stored configuration and address data: For reasons that would take too long to describe, I'm now buying into the theory that transient line noise, which is most pronounced as I'm starting the car, is to blame, and that it's not a case of variance between individual Roadmates (i.e., that some are "bad units"), but rather is caused by the line noise in certain cars being outside the spec anticipated by Magellan for such things. (Higher end designs utilizing delicate memory chips with easily-triggered "refresh" pins typically utilize a circuit to cope with line noise of this sort, but they have to have a pretty decent idea of what sort of line noise to expect.) In any event, the problem appears to have been solved, for me, by installing a ferrite bead (costs between $2 and $3 US, and takes about two seconds to install) on the cigarette lighter adapter cord, at the end closest to the Roadmate. A ferrite bead is basically a hunk of iron that absorbs line noise by acting as sort of an inductive capacitor. You get a clamshell-shaped one, and just clip it around the power line. Those little cylinders you sometimes see embeddded in the power cable for your electronic products (like laptop computers) are ferrite beads. Anyway, the one I'm using, and had good results with, is made by Pan Pacific, of Taiwan, and has a 6.5mm hole for the power cord to go through; it's their model SF-065. Here's a link to one, so you'll know what I'm talking about if you're not already familiar with this sort of thing:

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/343155

It's possible that I'm being premature in declaring the problem "solved" -- only time will tell for sure. But it seems to be working so far. If the unit loses its memory with the ferrite bead in place, I'll let you all know that this was not the solution after all.

Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2004 :  16:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wanted to report that another couple weeks have gone by, and that I continue to have zero problems with the unit losing its mind now that the ferrite bead is installed; the fix seems to have worked.
Go to Top of Page

DancesWithBikers

3 Posts

Posted - 02 juil. 2004 :  21:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear your problem is fixed! Just an additional thought: if the cable will fit, multiple turns of the cable through the ferrite core will improve the transient suppression.
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Merullo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2006 :  17:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RM 700 Magellan® RoadMateTM 700 Software Upgrade Version 5 Installation does not recognize the RM when plugged into my laptop or my desktop.

The computer(s)see the RM 700 as a new harddrive, but the software says the unit is not plugged in and therefore will not continue with the software upgrade.

Calls to Magellen tech support are a waste because they don't answer the phone. They don't reply via e-mail either. I like the product, but if I know the company was so poor, I'd re-think purchasing their products.

Anybody else have this problem? Any idea's how to fix?

The upgrade costs $300 and they won't take it back because they say it's software.

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

e.axel

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2006 :  18:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Send it back to them to install. Tell them your DVD drive is broken...
Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

Ralph Merullo

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2006 :  04:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Road Mate Model 700 update version 5.14. error message ‘Road Mate cannot be detected’.

The following steps to resolve this issue:
Firstly, please leave the unit turned ON, connected to your computer while you are working on the Update.
Make sure that all the USB devices except Magellan are disconnected from your computer.

Also, disable any Virus Scan or Personal Firewall running in your computer. Proceed with the following steps:
01. Click Start > Run > type “MSCONFIG “and hit enter
02. Select option “Selective Startup” > remove check from “Load startup items”
03. Click ok and select “restart comp.”
04. Connect the MRM unit to the computer.

These guidelines from Thames technical support worked great for me!!!

The upgrade works great! Thanks Thames!

Ralph
Go to Top of Page

e.axel

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 22 mai 2006 :  05:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This needs to be moved to a more applicable thread!
Go to Top of Page

mrburnns

3 Posts

Posted - 20 août 2007 :  18:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, can you please repost this update? The link doesnt work anymore.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05