Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2243

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 I made a SRF/PNG converter for vehicle files...
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

ezran

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  06:09:25  Show Profile  Visit ezran's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I spent a little time (well, way too much time, really) figuring out the file format of those .srf vehicle files, and created a script to convert them to .png files, and then back again. So now you really can create your own custom vehicles.

The vehicles are just two sets of pre-rendered images. 36 images of 3D perspective and another 36 of overhead view, all rotated 10 degrees from each other to cover the full 360 degrees.

I set up the conversion scripts on my website, which you can feel free to use, and I also documented the .srf file format as best I can understand. Go to http://techmods.net/nuvi/ for the tools and details.

I plan to work on rendering a car or two pretty soon, so maybe I can post an example. Also, if anyone wants the source I could probably make that available.

Note: I've only tested this with my 660, but since Garmin provides the same files for most of their GPS units, it should work most of them.

Edited by - ezran on 26 janv. 2007 06:19:33

Ads

smiley1081

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  08:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Neat!
Go to Top of Page

Mate

Netherlands
25 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  09:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superrrrr
I'm looking forward to some examples

Maybe you can work your magic sometime on the voice format also

Anyway, great effort !

Nüvi 660 Europe, v9
Firmware v3.50 (manualy)
GPS software v2.90 (WebUpdater v2.41)
Sony Ericsson K750i
Go to Top of Page

jotne

Norway
1685 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  09:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why did not Garmin post this fileformat to the public?

Same with gpi format.

Previously owned : GPS "eTrex Yellow" "GPSmap 76S" "GPSMap 60CS" "GPSMAP 60CSx" "Nüvi 660"
Unit I have now :"Nüvi 760 EU" "Nüvi 765" "Edge 305" "Colorado 300"

Edited by - jotne on 26 janv. 2007 09:39:09
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  09:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Now I just have to go out and take some photos of my own car, and then I can have that on the screen!

Anders
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  10:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mate

Superrrrr
I'm looking forward to some examples

Maybe you can work your magic sometime on the voice format also

Anyway, great effort !

you already can try with these:
http://tinyurl.com/kbzrm

Nuvi 300 GTM11- Nuvi 660T
Go to Top of Page

Mate

Netherlands
25 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  10:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you post the whole link. ?

Nüvi 660 Europe, v9
Firmware v3.50 (manualy)
GPS software v2.90 (WebUpdater v2.41)
Sony Ericsson K750i
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  11:04:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
too long links are not allowed here, but you can search the nuvi forum in Pocket GPS World for a thread named "Voices?"

Nuvi 300 GTM11- Nuvi 660T
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93962 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  11:31:34  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guys, if you want to discuss voice customization, start a new thread if need be (might have been discussed before), but don't hijack this thread, thanks.

@ezran - very nice, thanks for sharing !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

jklBruin

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  20:30:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ezran, that's a terrific script. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7718 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  20:59:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfw

too long links are not allowed here, but you can search the nuvi forum in Pocket GPS World for a thread named "Voices?"

We don't object to long links. We simply ask that you use a facility like www.tinyurl.com to automatically shorten a long link prior to posting so it doesn't distort the pages for everyone.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  21:07:29  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some long links survive being broken by
carriage returns, like
this.

But some don't and tinyurl is so easy to use.

In case it appears that cfw's link doesn't work, be aware that it quickly downloads a file called Voice Utilities.zip to your default spot for downloads, leaving a blank browser window.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 26 janv. 2007 21:08:22
Go to Top of Page

Sundews

233 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  21:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ezran

I set up the conversion scripts on my website, which you can feel free to use, and I also documented the .srf file format as best I can understand. Go to http://techmods.net/nuvi/ for the tools and details.

Cool! Thanks!

Garmin Nuvi 660
Go to Top of Page

ssandhaus

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2007 :  23:38:43  Show Profile  Visit ssandhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much for doing this. I can't wait to play!

Sandy
Go to Top of Page

Sundews

233 Posts

Posted - 27 janv. 2007 :  05:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see a plane icon.

Garmin Nuvi 660
Go to Top of Page

ssandhaus

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2007 :  07:01:22  Show Profile  Visit ssandhaus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Ezran,

Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but my PNG files can't seem to retain their transparency when I convert them back to the SRF format. I've tried simply inserting the images I've created into the PNG generated by your program (which has no alpha channel as generated but does have a transparent background). I've tried generating my own alpha channel with transparent areas in white and when that didn't work I tried with the transparent areas in black. Regardless of what I do, when I convert back to the SRF format, I get a white square instead of transparency. I'm using Photoshop CS2 for my editing. Is there a better program to use for this? Any words of wisdom would be helpful. I have to admit, I've always had a problem understanding transparency issues and alpha channels in Photoshop, so I strongly suspect the problems I'm having are of my own creation.

Some other points: 1) I am doing this all on a NUVI 660, 2) I'm not touching the 3D view images, only the 70x70 overhead images, and 3) if I convert a vehicle file to a PNG with your utility, then immediately reconverted back to an SRF without touching it, I lose the transparency.

Thanks for making these utilities available.

Sandy

Nuvi 1690 (350 & 660 previously)
Other: MacBook Pro OSX 10.6, Audi S4 Quattro
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05