Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1934

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 Other POI websites using these files
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BobM

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2007 :  21:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Googled "POI" and found a website I hadn't been on before - POIhandler in Holland. I was surprised to find one of my files there and they make no reference to the origin of the file or give credit to the creator.

How do I know it's my file? It has the same error that's in the original file on this website. That was accidental but I think it might be my future policy to always put one bad POI in the file for "traceabilty"

Bob

Ads

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2007 :  22:03:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are good people over there, what happens it that sometimes users upload files without realizing what they're doing, if you can specify the files you're referring to I'll point them to this thread and we'll get it fixed.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2007 :  23:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah I've noticed my files on other sites too. That's just the "power" of the internet - people love to take stuff to make their site look better.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2007 :  23:44:59  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
which they shouldn't be doing of course since that reduces the incentives for those who created the files to update them.

Again, feel free to list out the files, and sites that do that and we'll see if we can get them to link rather "pinch"...

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

BobM

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2007 :  00:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one on POIhandler was my Ontario Waterfalls file and this is the only website I have posted it on.

Just visited the GPS Data website and saw another one of my files that has been lifted from here:
http://www.gps-data-team.com/poi/canada/automotive/index.php?poi_data=automotive&file=MTO_License_Office_Ca
They even have the nerve to add this notice on the website:
quote:
Copyright Notice: This database and related files are protected by copyright. © GPS_data_team 2004-2007. All rights reserved.

Hopefully as POI users become more knowledgeable they will realize the benefit of this website where you post Rules, you identify the owner, and hence have someone to maintain the file.

I realize that once you post something on the Internet, it's then out of your control. Just one of the minor irritations that offset the huge benefits

Bob
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2007 :  00:35:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll point that out to Marcel who runs POI-Handler.

gps-data-team is different story, they used to mirror all the POI files around, they relented but they are still using individual files and they don't reply to emails (6 and counting). My fellow webmasters and I are on "their back" and we're weighing our options...

Go to Top of Page

BobM

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2007 :  06:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm, Marcel from POIhandler.com e-mailed me and said the Ontario Waterfall file "had been uploaded by a French guy" and that he is removing it from his site.

Out of curiosity, I tried to contact the GPS Data website administrator and found you had to pay to register at their website before you could post a message to them. What a joke!

Bob
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93782 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2007 :  12:17:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, no surprise, Marcel fixed that immediately. On the other hand as you point out, you have to pay to contact gps-data-team and request them to remove stolen files ! I do have an email gps.data.team@gmail.com I got with a whois :

http://www.rapidomaine.fr/whois/index.php then type gps-data-team.com

Registrant Details:
GPS Data Team
null
null, NSW 2145
AU

Domain Name: GPS-DATA-TEAM.COM

Administrative Contact:
Pratt, Paul gps.data.team@gmail.com
null
null, NSW 2145
AU
Fax: gps-data-team.com

Technical Contact:
Pratt, Paul gps.data.team@gmail.com
null
null, NSW 2145
AU
Fax: gps-data-team.com

Name Server: dns1.supremecenter44.com
Name Server: dns2.supremecenter44.com

Registrar of Record: Enetica Pty Ltd
Record last updated on 2006-10-27
Record created on 2005-10-26
Record expires on 2016-10-27

Unfortunately they don't read/reply to emails on that address. We've been consulting what to do and have gotten some interesting advice, will start letting third parties who reference gps-data-team know about these stolen files starting on Monday.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,48 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05