Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 News from Mapopolis
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

Decius

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2007 :  19:00:05  Show Profile  Visit Decius's Homepage
I am somewhat saddened by this news as I've been a dedicated Mapopolis user for several years. It's been my trusted and reliable companion for many solo inter-state trips and helps me get around town in unfamiliar areas. I've got landmarks for family cemeteries and old houses and churches in very remote parts of West Virginia that I made while traveling there with my mother a couple years ago. I would never be able to find those again without those landmarks or without her. (Which reminds me, I need to make note of the coordinates of those points and save them in a file somewhere for use with future software.)

I don't know how remote a possibility this is, but I would like to echo others' requests for a final map release. If current data could be released before the PDA side of things is shut down, I would buy them immediately even knowing that the software will not be developed further. As it is, the maps I'm using (NC) are old enough that they are becoming problematic due to missing streets, interstate bypasses, etc.

I want to thank Mapopolis for the years of use I've gotten out of their software. It's gotten me where I need to go countless times, text-to-speech allows me to keep my eyes on the road as the software tells me where to turn, and it's been a pleasure to use. (With the exception of figuring out which counties I need to load for long routes...) :-)

Good luck in the future, Lamar, and best of luck to the company in their future efforts.

Verizon XV6700, HP iPAQ hx4700, Palm Treo 700w, Belkin Bluetooth GPS, Subaru Outback
Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2007 :  19:39:07  Show Profile
Mapopolis is still a solid product and has a very loyal customer base. After all the contradictory and speculative postings by lamar (not his fault at all - we know that he was just echoing the CEO of the one-man-runs-the-show company), I think they'd atleast release one final map (hopefully more) with the latest NavTeq data. Mapopolis will not get converts but those who grew with the product still consider it worthwhile to buy the maps.
What saddens many is that Mapopolis had so much potential to widen its customer base in the PPC/Palm/Smartphone platform and then spread into future lucrative markets. But in the "one-CEO-knows-it-all" company, it is often the case that they scamper to hit the next gold-mine - often with poor results.
In spite of it all, lets hope that they do hit a gold-mine and wish them the best - in the meantime, shall we all clamour for at atleast one final map release???!!???
Go to Top of Page

chrust

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  01:54:39  Show Profile
If Mapopolis can release new US maps, I am ready to buy them.
"One man, one word" we used to say long time ago. Mapopolis gave us couple times few words about the new map release. Why just not keep the word - and make some buck doing it?
Chrust
Axim 5
Haicom CF GPS
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  02:17:32  Show Profile
I'd also buy a new map pack. It'd give me a few more years of usability for the product before making some hard decisions about a replacement.

Steve
Garmin Nuvi 750, 3760LTM and Zumo 660.
Formerly Nuvi 350 and Axim x51v with Mapopolis and bluetooth receiver.
Go to Top of Page

mtpocketsad

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  02:29:48  Show Profile
I would buy the maps also.
But could someone please answer my question on the date of current maps that are listed now.
When did these come out? Mine look like some are from April of 2003, and others July of 2003.
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  02:41:25  Show Profile
The date on my maps are 3/05

Steve
Garmin Nuvi 750, 3760LTM and Zumo 660.
Formerly Nuvi 350 and Axim x51v with Mapopolis and bluetooth receiver.
Go to Top of Page

asdrew

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  02:47:57  Show Profile
I have a demo version and even though Mapopolis' days are numbered, I'm seriously considering going ahead and purchasing it. No other program I've tried or looked hard into has the plethora of user settings.

I just returned TomTom Navigator 6 because while flashy, it seriously limits user customization for anything but "candy." Besides it would not run properly on my HP6945 and they have yet to respond to 3 different support requests made last week. A 1hr phone call (mostly on hold) with 2 different techs couldn't suggest anything I had not already done myself.

I can get a discount if I go ahead and get Mapopolis, and figure if the maps get too outdated, I'll explore other options at that time.

Lamar, Cheryl in your support department has gone way above and beyond in answering my questions, tell the boss she deserves an extra big severance package if she is out of a job in the end. Oh, and you too.
Go to Top of Page

MagMashr

25 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  03:06:29  Show Profile
TomTom is notorious for poor support.
Go to Top of Page

thepcdoctorca

Canada
151 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  06:46:14  Show Profile  Visit thepcdoctorca's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by lamar@mapopolis.com

Guys, this is not the death of Mapopolis. Work continues on the next-generation versions of the program. They will not run on handhelds and may not run under the Mapopolis name, although the core engine that powers them will be PURE Mapopolis. It was announced a long time ago that we wanted to separate the program logic (the engine) from the interface. Ris, in fact, had a good start on this.

Hindsight is always 20/20. My feeling is that if we'd tried for a direct port of the regional maps to the Pocket PCs much, much earlier, we have time now for the interface refinements we need. And I don't really think that the program has suffered on Pocket PCs and Smartphones. I think it's STILL a solid, usable product.

Anyway, "death of Mapopolis" is bull. It'll still be here when I'm gone, and I just might someday buy some other product for my car or my UMPC or my MP3 player, look at it, and recognize the characteristics of the maps.
Lamar

Lamar,

With all due respect, those lines are bull. For all of us here, it doesn't matter where Mapopolis ends up. We are PPC/Palm users. That product is dead. Over the past year, our opinion on where the product was going was sought, and ignored. Your map handling floundered. On the open polygon issue of water, I remember suggestions being made to just close the polygon. All of us could have lived with a line at the boundary. We all wanted a better interface as we saw the competition. Your boss was more interested in seeking new markets. Truly the PPC market came down to IG, TT and Mapopolis. Mapopolis had by far the best routing engine. The difficult interface and lack of new maps killed the product. If you guys had focused on getting the maps out and coming out with a more finger friendly interface, you could have owned the PPC market.

I'm sorry to lose such a great program. But you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Dell Axim X5 400 A05 WM2003 Holux GM-270 Mapopolis 4.71/iGuidance 3.0
Go to Top of Page

sfhub

156 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  19:58:09  Show Profile
Can someone create a poll asking how many people would purchase another map release fully knowing the PPC platform will not receive any updates?

Personally I used to care about the water/land inversion open polygon issue, but I don't care anymore. I just want new map data. I don't care about new program updates. The program has been working fine as is and is quite stable in my usage.

Just give me new map data and I'll pay Mapopolis my homage fee and get out of your hair. I won't bother your support department, I already know all the workarounds. I'll download all the maps right away so you don't need keep a high bandwidth connection for the whole year.

Please, please, one last map release.
Go to Top of Page

gibhenry

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2007 :  20:46:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sfhub

Can someone create a poll....

Please, please, one last map release.

You can poll, beg, and wheedle all day long, but at the end of that day, Mapopolis is gonna do just what they said they'd do: exit the business. If they haven't issued the maps yet, then just how likely do you think it is they'll do it now that they're getting out of the business?! C'mon, wake up and smell the coffee, get on with life after Mapopolis! Cheers,

Gib Henry

Teletype GPS, iMate Jasjar (WM5)
Go to Top of Page

deichenlaub

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2007 :  01:42:15  Show Profile
Thanks Henry. It reminds me of a SNL show where Shatner comes to a Trek convention and starts telling fans to get a life. Then he's called off stage, has an urgent soto conversation, and comes back, claiming he was extending "episode xxx" where somebody was taking over his mind.

Wake up guys and gals. This is Mapapolis' product. They will do what they will do. We bought our maps, got a great program, and we are free to use it as long as we want. Who can ask for more than that? Considering how good the product is, we got a bargin. But wait, there's more! We also got more program updates than we ever deserved in the bargin. I don't see where anybody can complain.

HP iPAQ 2490 / WM5 / Mapopolis / GlobalSAT BC-337 (Holux CF GPS)
Go to Top of Page

DriveBySignal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2007 :  16:29:38  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by deichenlaub

Thanks Henry. It reminds me of a SNL show where Shatner comes to a Trek convention and starts telling fans to get a life. Then he's called off stage, has an urgent soto conversation, and comes back, claiming he was extending "episode xxx" where somebody was taking over his mind.

Wake up guys and gals. This is Mapapolis' product. They will do what they will do. We bought our maps, got a great program, and we are free to use it as long as we want. Who can ask for more than that? Considering how good the product is, we got a bargin. But wait, there's more! We also got more program updates than we ever deserved in the bargin. I don't see where anybody can complain.

I agree and also disagree. Yes, it is their product and they can do what they want blah blah blah.... we all know that - nobody is suing Mapopolis for not releasing the maps.
BUT....let us realize that the loyal core users literally risked their lives trying to provide input in the hope to make it a great program. They made it a better program too (except some very sensible advice was not heeded). There was a continuous hint that the new maps were round the corner (perhaps they were working on them)...but they suddenly exit without the map release because they have a good routing engine that they want to implement elsewhere. While they are under no obligation whatsoever, it would still make good-business and good-conscience sense to release one final map release before the exit (even with the visual defects). At least it is the hope for many of us who don't want to go to another product right away. It would be a nice goodbye instead of an abrupt and rough one (I am sure that they'll make some dollars too in the process - nobody is asking the maps for free!).
Go to Top of Page

Decius

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2007 :  16:59:35  Show Profile  Visit Decius's Homepage
While the chances of this may be remote, I still want to hold out some small bit of hope. I certainly am not asking -- nor expecting -- to get them free or even discounted. I would happily, and without hesitation, pay the full subscription price to provide myself with more current maps for the next couple years of use even knowing that there will be no support for it in the long term.

Verizon XV6700, HP iPAQ hx4700, Palm Treo 700w, Belkin Bluetooth GPS, Subaru Outback
Go to Top of Page

sfhub

156 Posts

Posted - 25 janv. 2007 :  00:49:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gibhenry

You can poll, beg, and wheedle all day long, but at the end of that day, Mapopolis is gonna do just what they said they'd do: exit the business. If they haven't issued the maps yet, then just how likely do you think it is they'll do it now that they're getting out of the business?! C'mon, wake up and smell the coffee, get on with life after Mapopolis! Cheers,

A business decision is a business decision and businesses are out to make money. They just left a chunk of money on the table by not mining their existing subscribers one last time. A poll is just a method of gathering data. If it makes sense to do a map release they will do so. If you have no need for new map data then you really have nothing to contribute but coffee smells. We all know what they announced and when necessary will move on. It's not like the program is going to self destruct next week. From Mapopolis standpoing they still will be maintaining map download site for 1yr according to their current plans.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05