Globalsat DG-100 GPS Data Logger - Reviewed
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 18 déc. 2006 :  20:33:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
REVIEWED - GLOBALSAT DG-100 DATA LOGGER
SiRFstarIII, 3 modes, 60,000 points, "mouse" GPS, 36 hour runtime

>> FULL REVIEW ON THE PORTAL <<

Questions, comments ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?

Ads

adamschneider

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2006 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Visit adamschneider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
I like to view the tracks in Google Maps using the excellent GPSVisualizer website. Unfortunately it couldn't read the GPRMC only NMEA file so I first had to convert it to gpx with GPSBabel and then open the gpx file.

GPS Visualizer doesn't normally mind NMEA files that are $GPRMC-only, so something else must be going on. Can you show me a sample of the NMEA data that GPS Visualizer wouldn't read?

Also, what do the CSV and Text output formats look like?

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2006 :  14:29:42  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
email sent with the three formats ;-)

On another matter, having now done some more testing, I was able to log data for 36 hours with data points recorded every 15 minutes, so that's much better than announced and might indicate that some power trickling is being done. I will log data every 10 seconds to see if there is an impact.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

adamschneider

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2006 :  17:58:09  Show Profile  Visit adamschneider's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, I found the problems in the formats. First of all, the NMEA is MOSTLY okay, except for one thing:

$GPRMC,095127,A,4850.8091,N, 230.9526,E,2.20,,011206,,*2F

See the space before " 230"? That should be "00230". I don't know if this actually breaks the NMEA183 specification, but it's definitely weird. Every NMEA file I've ever seen uses DDDMM.MMMM for the longitude, with all three digits of the DDD present.

I've put a fix into GPS Visualizer to handle this, but other programs may still complain. It looks like a bug to me, and the GlobalSat people should fix it.

Now, on to the .csv format... again, it's very close to being okay, but there's that damn space in the longitude again:

1,2006-12-01,10:51:27,4850.8091, 230.9526,2.20,

The issue here is not with any kind of format specification; there are no "rules" about how to construct CSV data. The problem is the ambiguity of "230.9526". Encountering a three-digit number with a decimal point like that, a computer will think it is decimal degrees. Even if we assume that it is degrees and minutes smashed together, is it 2°30.9526, or 23°0.9526? This could be resolved by, again, changing the space to a pair of zeroes (thus creating a five-digit number that almost certainly represents DDDMM), but really the better solution in CSV output would be decimal degrees.

Now, the .txt file: it has the same number problems as the .csv, but on top of that the formatting is horrible! Double-tabs between each field, inexplicable spaces in the header row... don't use it.

Guillaume, I hope you can get in touch with the software developers to let them know the error of their ways! Meanwhile, you can use the NMEA file with GPSVisualizer.com.

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 21 déc. 2006 :  19:09:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great, that's all that matters to me...just kidding ;-) Thanks for figuring out the exact problems, now that I think of it I had realized some zeros were missing when trying to troubleshoot Robogeo. I'll add to #5 above ad will drop them a line.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 23 déc. 2006 :  23:18:46  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haven't heard back from Globalsat yet, but I finished the new logging test run logging every 10 seconds and got 37 hours, so that's really much better battery life than the advertised 24 hours, good news! I was also able to figure out how to use it as a mouse GPS and updated the review above.

Go to Top of Page

kiwiblade

Netherlands
27 Posts

Posted - 29 déc. 2006 :  19:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice piece of equipment, but I personally would wait for a similar device that has BT functionality included. The GPS functionality is included, but in the way I use gps's (walking, running, driving), I have yet to come across a "handy" USB connection. BT is becoming more and more some sort of a standard.

Cheers,

Mark.
Go to Top of Page

hangon

France
6 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2007 :  16:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,

just bought it and it's great.
how can i make it work on my mac.?
gpsbabel is working great on my mac....is it able to read log datas directly from the DG100 via USB?

regards
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2007 :  23:35:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not that I know of, no, I understand Mac's can now run in Windows emulation mode, that might be something to look into.

Go to Top of Page

hailua

31 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2007 :  17:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can it work as a mouse GPS
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2007 :  17:53:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, see the DOWNLOADING AND ANALYZING paragraph just renamed to DOWNLOADING, "MOUSE" GPS AND ANALYZING ;-)

Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 14 janv. 2007 :  18:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering is this now available or not, I'am looking for something like this for my next trip to australia
Go to Top of Page

ppilotte

2 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2007 :  06:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I would like to know if it will be possible to use my own application or SDK to extract the saved data from this GPS. In other words, can we extract GPS data (not live but data that was saved) without using the DG-100 S/W? Is the interface using a standard protocol? For which I can code my own application to get the data? I have a fleet to manage and want the people send the GPS data to a server without using the DG-100. They would just need to plug in the unit to the computer and a S/W (executed) would get the data from GPS and send it to the server. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94668 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2007 :  13:58:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it would be nice to be able to use other apps, but you will need to get the proper code from Globalsat, as there is no SDK so far.

As for availability, I checked this week and was told "end of January", getting close ;-)

Go to Top of Page

ppilotte

2 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2007 :  17:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know about any other data logger with SDK or open standard interface? Thanks again for you help.
Go to Top of Page

comdg

2 Posts

Posted - 22 janv. 2007 :  01:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the DG-100 available yet anywhere? Where can I buy for USA use?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,83 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05