Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 Invion / SupportPlus GPS - 4" AIO with Cosmic Nav
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 138

anutanya

11 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  00:41:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just bought this 4'' unit from Tweeter and am already exasperated with the software (too basic and sluggish on top ). Unfortunately cannot find any remedies/tricks/tips in any forums either so decided to come to the experts.
Is it possible to install any other software on the Invion/Supportplus model ( maybe iGo like used by Mio?). Any way to go to Win CE desktop ? Any way to add POIs with detailed address/tel ?
Would appreciate any help/comments.
Thanks in advance

Edited by - anutanya on 29 nov. 2006 01:01:50

Ads

gpspassion

93783 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  00:46:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have a link so we can see which one it is exactly ? I take it's not the Map&Guide version that I've been enjoying on the 5" InVion (see my review in French here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=71356) but maybe the older "Cosmic Navigation"/Alturion version ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

anutanya

11 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  00:48:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got that, it's the 'Cosmic Navigation/Alturion' version which went on sale on Thanksgiving at Tweeter ( same as SupportPlus offering by Staples on Cyber Monday but with a bigger screen).
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93783 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  01:10:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh so it made it to the US ? For some reason I thought you were in the UK, wow talking about getting the short end of the stick compared to the Mio 310x ;-)
Same model as this ?

Nice sceen, but the Centrality Atlas platform is really sluggish, even with more optimized software. I think this will be a frustrating experience, can you possibly return it ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

anutanya

11 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  01:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You put it politely :)
I could try returning it but would rather prefer to work on it. The hardware specs don't seem too bad (Sirf III, 400MHz cpu, NAVTEQ, 4'' screen), it's just the software/platform (BTW what's the difference ?) that's killing it. Any way around that ?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93783 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  01:44:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Did they swap out the Centrality Atlas CPU then ? Sounds unlikely, and in this case I wonder where they got their 400mhz from, they top out at 200Mhz as far as I know. You can hack into the system and access the WinCE shell (need to check my notes), but it will still remain slow, the "Cosmic Navigation" software is only partly to blame. Besides, each time you turn it on and procedes to do full hard reset so all the stuff you've added is lost.

Let's see, they had put this little app on thei French website. Unzip it and put ShincoUpdate.exe at the root of the SD card. You should get a prompt at some point, click on yes and you'll get to the WinCE desktop

Go to Top of Page

anutanya

11 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  02:22:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The manual says it's a 400MHz cpu (tweeter link is: http://www.tweeter.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2539532). Let me try the update and get back to you to bug you some more :).
Thanks a ton !
Go to Top of Page

anutanya

11 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  07:05:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yup,it hard resets every time. I managed to reach CE shell, installed TCPMP player and next time I started it the player was gone . Can I install any other mapping software on it ( maybe the one they are using in Europe or in 5'' version ?). BTW the processor is Shinko ARM 400.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93783 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  12:52:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So it seems they've moved away from the Centrality Atlas 200mhz platform then, odd they would go to that trouble, but good news for the end user !
What you can do is move apps from the main memory to the Resident Flash of SDMMC card that way you won't have to reinstall each time.
As for installing other road navigation software, not for free anyway, you could go out and buy TomTom v6, but frankly that doesn't make a lot of sens unless you're stuck with the device for good.

Go to Top of Page

anutanya

11 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  18:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I install apps to the SDMMC card ? I copied the TCPMP cab to sdmmc root and on clicking it installed automatically ( with no prompt on where to install). Also, once I log in to CE I have to start mapping by navigating to Alturian.exe thru explorer ( creating a shortcut on desktop did not work, hard boot wiped it). Once I get into mapping I cannot go back to CE without rebooting.
Quite a few of us bought this GPS from Tweeter/staples so any pointers would help a bunch of us. I am also going to other forums and pointing them to this thread for answers.
Go to Top of Page

chandrap

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  21:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I remember when I am working with Win CE OS on Handhelds, there is a folder where the data cannot be lost. I don't remember the actual name of the folder, I'll find and update... But there is...

I also bought the same GPS from Tweeter and waiting for feedbacks... Till now, I got -ve ones only, but the system is good as OP said...

Lets C
Go to Top of Page

lgmayka

16 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  22:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, the Tweeter model is plenty fast enough; the problem is that its lookup and routing is buggy. Here are just a few of the glitches I've encountered:

1) It assumes that my city of Aurora, IL is only in one county, Kane. When I input the city of Aurora, it will not accept any street in the DuPage County portion of the city.

2) Its route inexplicably wanted me to turn off onto a nearby parallel road (a kind of access road or frontage road) off the main highway--just for a few blocks!

3) It told me to continue on a street that had hit a dead end. (Its marked path showed that I should actually turn onto the cross-road.)

4) It is constantly telling me to Continue, as if it didn't understand that the street is already continuous. To be fair, even the best GPSes seem to do this when a street has two names, and adjacent segments were apparently input into the database under different names.

5) A couple times it went into a talk loop in which it voiced the same advice about 10 times.
Go to Top of Page

bendb

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2006 :  02:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a choice between two models - the Invion GPS-3V106-IUS, which appears to be the one on the Invion website here:
http://www.invionnavi.com/default2.aspx?pid=462
and the Invion GPS-4V106-IUS, which appears to be on the Invion website here:
http://www.invionnavi.com/default2.aspx?pid=463

The catch is that I can try the 3V1, and return it (Staples return policy), but if I open the box of the 4V1, then I can not return it. Reading all the comments here about the 4V1 has made me very pessimistic I will want to keep either of them. They appear to be identical units (same maps, same routing software, same hardware) except for the display size and the buttons on the right side.

Is there anyone who can confirm my guess for me? If they are the same, I can play with the 3V1, and then decide on which one (or neither) I would like to keep.

Thank you!

-Ben
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93783 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2006 :  02:35:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as they are still using the "Cosmic Navigation"/Alturion software I would pass, it's pretty much unusable, see lgmayka's message for a taste of the problems you have to deal with. In Europe, they have recently moved on to the much more ergonomic and functional, map&guide, see my link above.

@chandrap - yes and on the SP devices it's called \Resident Flash if memory serves, but even if you install there, you'll still lose any shortcuts stored in \windows each time you restart.

@anutanya - what you should do is copy what got installed in the RAM \Programs\TCPMP and move the whole lot to \SDMMC or \Resident Flash, that way the next time you restart you'll find them there but will need to launch via the file explorer as any shortcut will have been wiped out.

Go to Top of Page

raveen

5 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2006 :  03:00:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I got the access to WinCE and have same problems of losing files at Power On. Thanks everyone here for help. I will keep them in SD card and use Explorer to start it. However, I thought WinCE will have standard applications like Calendar built in that I can sync with Outlook. has anyone able sync with Outlook? Where do I find Outlook Calendar and Today applications? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

lgmayka

16 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2006 :  06:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, the ability to watch widescreen movies at full 480x272 resolution is Too Cool.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 138 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3,91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05