Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2762

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 My Macintosh equivalent of POI Loader here
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  01:42:35  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
I wrote a program for the Macintosh which does what POI Loader does. You can find it, plus notes on the GPI format here:

http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk/mac/MakeGPI/index.html

It's free (well, charityware) and it's open source to help other people use the GPI file format. Note that Garmin provide no support for the .gpi format: I've made something that happens to work so far, but there are no guarentees for the future.

Mac user, programmer, neophile.

Ads

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  02:24:50  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage
Fantastic; I will fire up my BlackBook and give it a try ASAP.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

dfroom

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  03:19:35  Show Profile
Simon,
This works exactly as advertised. On my Mac, I drag-copied my current .gpx file of favorites from the Nuvi, edited them using an XML editor (removed a few), gave the file a new name, then dropped that file on your program. It made a GPI file that I drag/copied to the Nuvi's POI folder. It shows up perfectly as custom POI files, sorted according to the file name.

This will work right now for creating Favorites (most easily, I suppose, in the Nuvi) and turning them in to POIs. That will be a great way of getting around the limit of 50 favorites and also for sorting collections of things.

Is there any way to use this to use the custom POIs others have created? Those collections are in .csv format -- typically along with a .bmp map icon.

Congratulations on cracking the GPI format, and on providing us Mac people with this terrific program!

David
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  16:08:05  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage
Works fine on my BlacBook and nuvi 350 -- many thanks for your hard work.

For newbies you may want to make it clearer in the docs that you need to use or create a gpx file first, along with some hints about how to do that or perhaps recommendations on xml editors for Mac. Also, a few more examples of tag structure in actual POIs would be very helpful.

I realize I'm nitpicking and want to assure you I don't expect a glossy manual with five-color graphics and interactive video [grin], but just want to highlight two areas that might trip newbies who desperately want to join the party.

Again, many thanks,

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 26 nov. 2006 16:10:19
Go to Top of Page

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  08:24:41  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
Version 1.2.0 just uploaded.

Support for .csv format added. (waits for cheering to die down) thanks to dfroom for pointing out that that's what lots of people will want. I live in my own little world here ...

Documentation greatly improved. Thanks to danham for pointing out the necessity.

Development will probably go more slowly now but I'm still hoping for at least two additional features: handling phone numbers and symbols/bitmaps. I do not intend to add support for multimedia files as (a) it's complicated and (b) it would make the application a competitor for something Garmin sells.

Request for help

If people have any .gpi files (not .gpx, .gpi) which include points which have working phone numbers in (i.e. where you can click the 'phone' button and it'll dial the number) could you send me a sample ?

The same goes for points which have symbols assigned. Not bitmaps (which I have examples of), but the symbols that are pre-installed in the unit -- the ones you can assign yourself to your favourites.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  13:56:32  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage
I don't have the phone capability, but when I get home I'll try to remember to send you a custom POII file with symbols.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  23:45:19  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
Yes please. I've pretty-much worked out bitmaps but I don't have examples of files where the POIs use the symbols already in the unit.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2006 :  00:03:21  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage
I just checked my custom POI gpi file and it does NOT display the symbols that I added while I was compiling the gpx file. In other words, on my nuvi they all show a generic dot, not the symbol I chose while making the list using MapSource.

The symbols that do display for built-in POIs do not appear in custom POIs. So I guess those symbols are embedded in the map data, not in a gpi file that we can get at?

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 28 nov. 2006 00:05:16
Go to Top of Page

dfroom

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 28 nov. 2006 :  17:03:26  Show Profile
Hi Simon,

I have tried using .csv files a couple of ways. MakeGPI works fine when I use Excel to make a simple file with just one or two listings. However, it doesn't work when I try to use it for one of the large custom POI files posted on this forum:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=56474

I tried the "Starbucks" collection and the "Panera" collection. In both cases, MakeGPI chugs along for a bit and then tells me that there is a problem getting some of the text. It offers an edit button, but that takes me to the MakeGPI applescript (which, I confess, makes little sense to me).

In both cases, these are collections that people have had success loading with POI Loader. I checked the format -- and they use the format I used for making the two POI listing (first two fields are coordinates, third field is name, fourth field is address/phone.

I tried saving this from Excel as .csv, as .csv for Windows, as .csv for MS-Dos. None of these worked. When I made my own from Excel, the first offered save as .csv works fine.

I also tried making smaller .csv files -- say, with Starbucks, restricting the list to Maryland, Virginia, and DC only. Same problem.

Am I doing something wrong?

Finally, and this is just window dressing, but I thought I'd ask. The POI files posted on the forum here usually include a custom symbol for display, provided as a .bmp file. If MakeGPI can create a .gpi file from one of these .csv files, where would the custom symbol go?

Thanks very much. I hope this doesn't come off as complaining. I remain exceedingly grateful for all the work already done. I also recognize this is done in volunteer time -- as a major service to the growing Macintosh segment of the Garmin community. Simon -- if you can get this to work, I do promise a nice big donation, made in your name, to the charity of your choice.

David
Go to Top of Page

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  01:58:20  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
Fixed. Version 1.2.1 now uploaded.

You did nothing wrong. I didn't consider all the possibilities in parsing the files. Those particular files have lines separated by 'return linefeed' characters, not the more usual choice of one or the other, but both. I forgot about this combination when writing this program and for some reason none of the examples I used for testing were formatted that way. Thanks for spotting the bug for me and giving me an example so I could investigate it.

While I was there I cleaned up other .csv parsing code. Among other fixes, commas in fields now work correctly as long as the fields are enclosed in quotes. I think.

As to bitmaps, I'm trying but it turns out that pimpin' ain't easy. I'm having trouble because it seems that the receiver handles different combinations of resolution and bit depth differently. I may get it working with just a couple of specific sizes/depths of icons and leave it at that.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  15:03:07  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
I have added to the .zip an Applet called 'unmount nuvi' which does just that. Saves you from having to launch Disk Utility when you want to disconnect. There are instructions on the .html page on how to make it unmount volumes with other names for use when you have an SD card in the nuvi.

The problem/bug that makes the device remount every time it gets an 'eject' signal is interesting, but stupid.

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  16:34:40  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage
Simon:

That's a great addition. If you don't think it would bore the paint off the walls here, I'd be interested in more detail about the un-mount bug. As I learn XP, it seems like the bug may have its roots in the way Windows deals with USB? And it's odd that the bug shows up with Tiger but not Panther.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  21:48:15  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
It's a historical problem with Macs. When Macs started out every kind of external drive had removable media: you could do 'eject', it would physically eject the media (floppy disk, or whatever), and the drive was useless until you put new media in at which point it would tell the Mac "I have new media, you can start addressing me again.".

Then along came external hard disks. If they did the same thing you'd do 'eject' and the drive would be useless until you restarted the Mac, because there was never a 'new media inserted' event because the hard disk was still there. So external hard disks reacted to the 'eject' message by saying "Okay, I ejected, and now I've been inserted again.". You'd see the disk disappear from the desktop and then reappear in a second or so. Until Apple added extra facilities to their API to allow for non-ejectable media, that was the best the manufacturers could do.

And that's what the nüvi is doing: "I go. I come back.". Because it's marked internally as being both 'removable media' and 'detachable drive'. (Check it out yourself in System Profiler.) The 'removable media' tag is wrong: it's a removable drive without media in it. Alternatively they could mark it as a mass storage drive (like a Flash memory drive). I'd report it as a bug to Garmin but support say "This is not support." and two attempts to contact someone techie who cares have been ignored.

It remains to be seen whether Leopard will do what Tiger does, or revert to Panther's method of handling removable detatchable drives.

Go to Top of Page

dfroom

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 30 nov. 2006 :  01:34:02  Show Profile
Simon,

I still have no luck with the big .csv files I referenced earlier. With, for example, the Starbucks collection, MakeGPI crunches for a while -- a few minutes -- and then says that it can't read something or other. I got hold of a PC and tried POI Loader. It took the same Starbucks file, made it into a GPI file, loaded it on my Garmin along with the .bmp to be used as the POI marker -- all in about 10 seconds.

I've tried a number of the public .csv files, ranging from small to medium sized, and have yet to find one that MakeGPI understands completely. In one case, (the Whole Foods collection), I was able to get MakeGPI to process it when I deleted the final entry.

I will still with use MakeGPI, in particular to convert my Favorites. I use a freeware program called jEdit to read and edit the .gpx file.

And I do like the unmount Nuvi script. It is terrific.

Thanks again,
David
Go to Top of Page

Simon Slavin

United Kingdom
221 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2006 :  01:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Simon Slavin's Homepage
Fixed in version 1.3.0 which I just uploaded.

Boy, there are a lot of Starbuxen. Way to find an absurdly big example file for me to test. I didn't test it last time because I couldn't wait for my program to finish the run. This time I tested the Starbucks file, the Panera Bread one and a hotsprings one I picked at random. Which isn't to say that there aren't any remaining bug and thanks for reporting previous ones and bearing with me while I fixed them.

Oh, and the reason this version is 1.3.0 and not 1.2.2 is that it introduces support for some types of bitmap file. See the web page for details. I'll repost the URL here:

http://www.hearsay.demon.co.uk/mac/MakeGPI/index.html

Go to Top of Page

dfroom

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2006 :  03:55:57  Show Profile
Simon,
Just to let you -- and anyone else reading this topic -- that 1.3.0 works well with custom POI .csv files, including the ones with included bitmaps. Your instructions about being careful with bitmap size/resolution are clear. And if the bitmap is the wrong kind, Graphic Converter can fix it quickly.

With the absurdly large Starbucks file, I gave up converting it after 90 minutes or so. But my guess is that most of them are already in the database. All other .csv files converted within a minute or two.

One tiny comment about your instructions. TextEdit doesn't work (at least for me) as an editor for .gpx or xml files. But the free program jEdit will do that.

In one interesting way, your program is better than POI Loader. You know all this -- and anyone who has read the forums about POIs does, but it bears repeating here. The Garmin program, when it coverts .gpx or .csv, automatically names the file as poi.gpi. If you want more than one set of custom POIs, you need to go into the Garmin to rename the file. If you load two POI files in a row with POI loader and forget to rename, the second file overwrites the first.

Thanks again. One more limitation for Mac users bites the dust!

David
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05