Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2263

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin iX, C3x0 and C5x0 Systems
 Free Map updates from Garmin?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

bugmenot

31 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  21:14:33  Show Profile  Visit bugmenot's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I too just bought a C330 -- it's my first GPS! I've been reading as much as I can about the unit, and I'm pleased to say that mine came with the City Nav V8 maps! I've read something about registering the product and receiving updates. Since I already have the newest maps, I won't need to get them from Garmin when they release them on DVD.

What should I do about registering my product? Is there any reason for me to register (or NOT register) right now as I already have the latest software? Should I hold off registration until much later in the future so that I'd be eligible for my "free" update?

Ads

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  22:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you can hold off.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2006 :  16:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely ! Hold off till next year when Version 9 is out.
By registering now, you'll only tie yourself down to the map release you already have.
Go to Top of Page

johnnytuinals

151 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2006 :  17:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats what I am doing with my C550,,,,Aug of 2007 sometime...JT
Go to Top of Page

rick2906

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - 03 oct. 2006 :  18:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah deff hold off!!! you will get the free update from the date you register. I bought a use gps on ebay but I ask the guy if he did register the unit before i bought it from him and he didn't register it. I registered the unit after cn8 nt came out and I got the free update
Go to Top of Page

delacruzjeff

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2007 :  18:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can't remember if i register my c320. is there a way to verify it?
Go to Top of Page

CanesFan

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2007 :  02:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by delacruzjeff

i can't remember if i register my c320. is there a way to verify it?

Try and log in (if you have a log in) and there should be something that says what you have registered under "my registered products" on the uooer right hand side of the screen. If you can't remember if you have a log in or not then you might have a problem in finding out. But if for sure you know you've nver made a log in for the site then I don't think you registered your GPS. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

delacruzjeff

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2007 :  07:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is registering the product the same with unlocking the dvd that came with it? for c320 owners, we always need to unlock the dvd otherwise there's no way for us to load the maps in the SD card.
Go to Top of Page

natedj

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2007 :  18:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Registering deals with the the physical unit - the hardware. Unlocking deals with the maps - the software. You will only need toregister the unit once, but you'll have to unlock maps with every upgrade.
Go to Top of Page

MrMojo

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2007 :  20:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Registration, generally, involves the warranty, as the company WILL ask for a copy of the receipt for the purchase date to see if the unit can be repaired within the warranty rules/without charge.
That's what they did when I tried to get some repairs work for my StreetPilot III years back!

The registration will also provide you with the unlock code for the map software, so you might as well register just in case you may have to reinstall the map software.

For now, you can hold off until registering because sometimes the company will use that to see if the owner is eligible for future map updates if you bought the unit within a certain time limit and when the new maps will be released.

Sometimes the map updates comes ~2 years but may change depending on how much geographic changes may have occurred or whenever the company feels like issuing an update.

Since you have a relatively new unit with the current City Nav version 8 maps, you don't need to worry about outdated maps since version 8 IS the most recent update.

You probably would want to register the product before the warranty runs out, though!
Go to Top of Page

tkamiya

1 Posts

Posted - 29 mai 2007 :  03:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just registered my c340 with V7 map. Apparently, Garmin no longer offers FREE map updates. I recieved my V8 map DVD, but since I had no way to successfully authenticate/unlock the V8 installations, I called their tech support. I was told, as of May of this year, Garmin no longer offers one time free unlock code for map updates.

I would think this is accurate as two separate tech support person told me this. If anyone have different information, I'd be interested in knowing.

I'd hoped my first post would be something positive, but obviously, this change in policy affect many on this forum. I thought I'd share...

Edited by - tkamiya on 29 mai 2007 03:16:01
Go to Top of Page

Just Lou

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2007 :  01:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can also confirm, no more free updates. I received this response when I had asked the other day:
"Thank you for contacting Garmin International,

Unfortunately, Garmin no longer offers any free mapping updates. I would
recommend seeing which version you are buying before you purchase the
unit. The latest mapping for this unit is v.8."

They did also tell me in another email that v.9 of MapSource City Navigator North America NT will be out in the summer.
Go to Top of Page

brianric

USA
218 Posts

Posted - 10 juin 2007 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Visit brianric's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the US, you do not need to register the unit to get warranty service.

quote:
Originally posted by MrMojo

Registration, generally, involves the warranty, as the company WILL ask for a copy of the receipt for the purchase date to see if the unit can be repaired within the warranty rules/without charge.
That's what they did when I tried to get some repairs work for my StreetPilot III years back!

Go to Top of Page

bltzkrig

1 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2007 :  21:44:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newbie question: Can one find out which version of maps the unit is using by looking at the unit itself? I have a C330 that I recently bought. The CD is stored somewhere and I don't want to bother searching for it. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Doc33

14 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2007 :  01:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Click on the wretch(tool) on the bottom of the screen, then click on the map icon on the top left, and then map info on the bottom middle of the screen, the next screen will tell you what version the map software is.

Jamie
Go to Top of Page

Just Lou

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2007 :  18:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a bit of info. After reading on another forum that people with recently purchased units (<60 days) were getting free updates by calling Garmin and politely expressing disappointment that their new units have outdated maps, I called Garmin this morning. I spoke to a very nice CS agent. She stated my C330 was being discontinued and no new units were being shipped with the new 2008 maps. She offered me the update at 1/2 price, with free shipping. ($35 total) I was going push for "free", but decided to accept the offer since my unit was heavily discounted when I bought it back in May.

Edited by - Just Lou on 24 juil. 2007 04:20:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05