Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2785

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 What's New Streets & Trips 2007 / AutoRoute 2007
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  03:45:48  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

What's new in

MS Streets & Trips 2007 / MS AutoRoute 2007

Is automatic recalculation finally in? I suspect this question is on the top of the list of many people who use Streets & Trips in conjunction with GPS. I don’t recall hearing this question in earlier years, but since the release of the last years’ very successful S&T 2006 people started to ask. After Microsoft added many GPS related features in versions 2005 and 2006, the lack of automatic route recalculation function started to be the topic of many on-line and off-line discussions. The various reviews of S&T 06 I recall reading all did mention S&T should incorporate this feature. Seeing so much demand for it I was quite confident the new S&T 07 would be able to plot a new route without users having to reach for the keyboard to press F3-key if a driver detours accidentally or on purpose. But for some reason the new 2007 version still doesn’t re-route automatically. As disappointing as this may for some of us be, let’s look at other aspects of the new version.

New! Full-screen navigation mode. This new feature brings Streets & Trips a step closer to the products that have been built from the ground up for the sole purpose of providing in-car GPS navigation. Streets & Trips started years ago as a trip planning software and it does an amazingly good job at that, but its GPS functions have always seemed more awkward to use in comparison to the $2,000 units built into luxury cars, or the many $500 self contained navigation units on the market today. Even other laptop software programs in the $100 to $200 price range are simpler to use while driving. Yet, none of the above products offer such wide range of functionality found in the $35 Microsoft Streets & Trips.

At the first sight the new S&T 2007 looks almost identical to the previous version. But when GPS tracking is turned on, a route is plotted, and Driving Guidance is enabled, we may switch to the new full-screen mode which is more suitable for navigation. In full-screen mode laptop users may access some features via keyboard shortcuts, TabletPC and UMPC (ultra-mobile PC) users can take advantage of their touch-screen by tapping on the large buttons of the new autohiding toolbar. The buttons and/or keyboard hotkeys can turn voice on/off (F7), repeat spoken instruction (spacebar), re-route (F3), day/night mode (F9), and exit full-screen navigation mode (F11/Esc). The (+) and (-) keys zoom in and out. The autohiding toolbar can be made visible at all times. It can also be moved from its top default position to either the left or right of the map.

New! Estimated Drive Time feature. Notice on the above screenshots that the Driving Guidance Pane now shows remaining time to destination (in addition to distance to turn).

New! Integration with Windows Live Search. Microsoft Streets & Trips has always been my preferred application for searching for POI’s (point’s of interest), but this new integration with Windows Live Search brings POI searches to a completely new level. Move the map to where you wish the search be performed. Type in a name of business, for example Joe’s Pizza, Starbucks, Tim Hortons, Home Depot, Shell, Sunoco, etc, or search by category for example vegetarian restaurant, pet store, vet, pharmacy, etc. You may even try to search a business by a phone number. If it’s in the database, the search will return the address and location will be shown on the map.

When I first heard that this feature would make it into S&T 07 I personally didn’t really care much for it. But now after trying it I know I will be opening Streets & Trips from now on more often just to use this one new feature.

The entire Windows Live Search database is available to you in real time while connected to the Internet. After you have completed Windows Live Search, you can save your Windows Live Search results with your map. I tested the feature while connected to the Internet via GPRS modem (mobile phone). The feature is surprisingly fast even with such slow Internet connection.

More info will be shared over the next few days on this and the following pages.

Questions? Comments?

Marvin Hlavac

Ads

gpspassion

94635 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  10:51:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing, ETA is always useful, are you finding it accurate ? Windows Live is certainly a useful addition for connected laptops/UMPCs;

I suppose they are using the SiRFstarIII iGPS 500, time to

Let us know when you find out about the dates of the maps too. I'm not sure which maps the 2006 version had, either Q4/2004 or Q2/2005, MapPoint has Q3/2005 I think. The latest Q2/2006 maps are getting rolled out now by Garmin, Medion, Route 66, on AIOs.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Alan_

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  12:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Alan_'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
So, Streets & Trips 2007 won't re-route automatically. :(
S&T 2007 will then be used mostly as a tool to plan a trip with iGuidance 3 being used to drive a route. Why doesn't Microsoft understand customers will sometimes miss a turn and then will need to re-route automatically?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  17:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New! GPS receiver based on the SiRFstarIII chipset. Beside the $35 software-only package Microsoft makes available also a $129 hardware / software bundle. This year the included unit is a new one, based on the powerful SiRFstarIII chipset. It is actually a new smaller version of iGPS-500 by Pharos. It is a smaller unit than what we have seen included with previous Streets & Trips versions.

Users who already own a GPS unit need only the new program version as the software is compatible. However, if you own a GPS unit based on an older generation chipset, and if you ever wished your GPS receiver wouldn't lose signal when you need it the most, you may consider treating yourself to S&T 2007 with GPS Locator.

Kanwar Chadha, the co-founder of SiRF Technology, Inc., explains the difference between the older SiRFstarII and the new SiRFstarIII technology: "...when you enter an urban area or under foliage, the GPS will not work very well. In an urban area, lots of buildings are blocking the satellite, so your satellite visibility is very poor, and the second thing is in many cases the signal itself is there, but is very weak. The searching capability of a GPS receiver is measured by how many correlators (that is, processing engines) you have, because you are trying to do a blank search and correlate to the signal coming from the satellite. The problem in urban areas is the satellite signals are coming and going, so if you don't have enough correlators, you may never find a match. In SiRFstarII, we had 2,000 correlators. In SiRFstarIII, we have 200,000 correlators. So our ability to do parallel search increased exponentially, and that's why what you are finding in SiRFstarIII is that in almost any kind of urban environment, even indoors, we can actually find satellite signals."

In environments where an older GPS receiver straggles, a new SiRFstarIII based unit will most likely work with ease.

The new GPS unit connected to the included USB adapter and the included USB extension cable:

The three components shown disconnected:

It is not necessary to use the USB extension cable. We may just connect the GPS unit to the USB adapter and plug that into a USB port on a laptop or UMPC.

When I first saw the small size of the new GPS receiver I was a bit afraid that the possibly smaller size of the patch antenna would reduce the sensitivity of the unit. I did a quick test in my living room. I did a side by side comparison with another SiRFstarIII unit (GPSlim236 by Holux). To my surprise the new Microsoft unit actually seemed a slightly bit more sensitivity to the weak satellite signals than the other (much larger) receiver:

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Big Al too

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  18:11:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin:
Are you purposely leaving us all in this state of suspense,
POCKET STREETS
let us know ..."can't wait, ...can't wait". The big question ...Will it navigate on my Amix ????
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  18:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where is MS Pocket Streets? It's gone! I don't know the reason, but it's just simply not there. S&T still has the ability to export small map areas for use with MS Pocket Streets, but the Pocket Streets program itself is no longer included. I searched the installation DVD, but the old PStreets folder is not there. I checked the Help file, but the section titled Working with Pocket Streets has been removed, too.

It comes as a surprise. Does it mean Microsoft is abandoning Pocket Streets? The application hasn't changed in years, and while it wasn't suitable for in-car navigation, it was a very good program for pedestrian use. Or does it mean Microsoft is removing the "free" old Pocket Streets to later replace it with a new full featured application? In the absence of any information all we can do is speculate.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

gtreat

2 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  18:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the sound?
Go to Top of Page

jhinman

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  19:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

New! GPS receiver based on the SiRFstarIII chipset.

Will i need to get a new CF adapter if I get this GPS or will it work with the 1 for the i-360?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  20:28:02  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What about the sound? I have not noticed any difference at all, but I have to admit I didn't have much time playing with it yet. In the 2006 version several users mentioned the sound was not loud enough. My first impression is that nothing has changed in this area.

Is the new GPS unit compatible with old accessories? I don't have the old iGPS-360, or any of its accessories, available at this moment. But my guess would be that if the size of the connector is identical, it should be compatible. I took a quick photo showing the size of the adapter connector that plugs into the GPS unit. It's approximately 11/16" or 17 mm wide. If someone can let us know the size of an old accessory connector, it would be appreciated.

A few months ago when MS released MS MapPoint 2006, the software came with an optional GPS receiver. The unit was a larger size version of this new GPS-500. A user here at the forum did test USB and also Bluetooth accessory compatibility of that unit. It worked. That's the reason I tend to believe that the accessories should be compatible as long as the physical size is the same. But is it?

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 01 oct. 2006 23:37:01
Go to Top of Page

Nolonemo

51 Posts

Posted - 01 oct. 2006 :  20:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

Where is MS Pocket Streets? It's gone!

Unfortunately, that's a deal-breaker for me, especialy given the fact that DeLorme now is bundling its PDA app with Street Atlas 2007.

Toshiba e755, Pharos iGPS-360 usb, Mapopolis on Flash ROM, Maps on 512MB SD card.
Garmin Venture Cx
MS S&T 2005
Go to Top of Page

bobn

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  00:13:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dumb question. is there a battery or does it have to be connected to a charging source
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  00:33:21  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It takes power from the USB port of your PC.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

bobn

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  00:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about for pocket pc
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94635 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  00:45:05  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah so here comes the smaller GPS then, good thing I didn't publish my comparison article ;-) Your "snapshot" looks promising, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions before some side by side tracking as a "snapshot" can't tell the whole story and there are physical constraints that really can't be overcome, a smaller patch antenna will simply be less sensitive than a larger one, with SiRFstarIII the impact is mainly noticeable for the first fix for which you need all the signal you can get to download the ephemeris data.

Really odd what happened to PS !

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  00:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bobn - for earlier version receiver there are accessories available (Bluetooth adapter, CF adapter) at http://mstreets.pharosgps.com/ My guess would be that after the 2007 version is released to stores the new accessories will become available, too.

gpspassion - yes, it would be interesting to put it thru more thorough testing. I'm very glad the first impression is good, though. If you want I can mail it to you for comparison tests.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 02 oct. 2006 00:59:36
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94635 Posts

Posted - 02 oct. 2006 :  01:04:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes that would be great and I'll be able to check the compatibility of the old accessories, Bluetooth and CF, 12 pins too and 0.8" so it should work.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05