Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2317

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 Tim Hortons POI's
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  02:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The largest coffee and doughnut chain in Canada

Tim Hortons database by johndh, mors, and Dewi

UPDATED: 3,278 US/Canada locations as of May 5, 2008

Tim Horton POI's:

CSV format (for Garmins): Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20080505.zip

XLS format (use or modify for other products): Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20080505.zip

icon ICO - This is the icon shown on the above screenshot of MS Streets & Trips

icon BMP - Same as above, but in BMP format

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 05 mai 2008 15:49:57

Ads

gpspassion

94046 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  02:45:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes you wanna go there ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  03:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yes, absolutely ! No day begins here without a good cup of Tim Hortons coffee. Some Canadians consider Tim Hortons an icon of Canadian culture. I'm actually surprised no-one yet started to collect POI's in this category. And since I've never done this myself I have a couple of questions:

1. I will need an Excel spreadsheet that will check for duplicate entries when I add new locations. Is there a formula available here so I don't have to re-invent a wheel? It's been a while since I've done some work with XL.

2. In the .zip file I included two *.ico files (16 by 16 pixels and 32 x 32 pixels), and also a *.bmp file (32 x 32 pixels). I personally used only the 16 pixels *.ico file for importing to MapPoint and also Streets & Trips. What are the usual file formats and sizes other people require for other applications / devices?

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  09:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If you remove the first line (latitude,longitude,name), you can open your file with PoiEdit (format Navman Comma Separated *.csv) and find duplicate entries. Unfortunately as all names are identical it is difficult to recognise duplicated entries.

Jean
Team GpsPasSion - Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  11:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jean,

I just noticed you posted in your index another Tim Hortons POI list by Mors. That one I'm guessing may actually be based on the company's own database because it includes almost 3,000 locations which is very close to 100% complete.

I may abandon my project eventually . But there is one good thing about my POI's: they are locations easily accessible to the public. I noticed the other list includes even such locations that may not be normally frequented by the general public, for example in hospitals, office buildings, schools, etc.

Marvin Hlavac

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 09 sept. 2006 11:54:42
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  15:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, mors did one a while back at my suggestions- even tho i'm from the US i know a good cup of coffee when i see one!
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  02:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have sent a tim hortons address list(2914 stores).someone will have to do the geocode.some tim hortons have same addresses due to the fact that gov. and universities ect. have more than one tim hortons at their location.this is up to date but missing about 12 stores.maybe somebody can find them and keep this up to date.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  03:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, that's great. Is the list directly from the company?

I'm somewhat undecided about this whole idea of Tim Hortons POI collecting. The source I've attempted to use is MS MapPoint POI extraction. It's not something that can be done in one simple step, but it is doable. But the database is far from complete. I think I can hope of getting around 500 locations at the most this way. I'm not happy with having access to less than 20% of stores. Neither am I happy when I look at what looks like the complete list of Tim Hortons locations by Mors. When I want a coffee I don't want to drive some place just to end up in front of a hospital or a school or an office building, etc. I wonder if a list exists which doesn't include such locations. MapPoint doesn't seem to include those stores, but 20% is not satisfactory either.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  06:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Store discription is included with this file,So you will know if its a Gas station,gov.building,university ect.It is best to leave all locations intact in order to know how up to date the list is and to add to it when new stores pop up.http://www.batchgeocode.com/ seems to be the better method for batch geocoding as long as you make sure you use the format they specify.Mappoint does not seem to get all the locations correctly.If anybody has a good accurate method for batch geocoding ,I sure would like to hear from them.This list was straight from the store locations website.(A lot of work.)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
johndh, thanks much for the database. It has just been geocoded and uploaded.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  18:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering Marv,If you used mappoint and if you were able to geocode down to street level for all locations?Also the new file does not seem to be downloadable at this point from the web site.(It redirects me.)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  18:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the link... it should work now :-)

MapPoint wasn't used for geocoding. Neither were POI's extracted from MapPoint. The downloadable list is exactly the way you e-mailed it to me, I only added latitudes and longitudes. It was all batch-geocoded at batchgeocode.com. I had to tinker with it a bit at first, but then eventually it was done all at once! It took a few hours. I'm not exactly sure how long it took. After about an hour last night I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning it was all done. All 2915 locations but about 13 were successfully batch-geocoded. The 13 I had to do separately this morning.

Again, John, thanks very much. We all owe you an extra large double-double .

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  19:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so what's the difference between the one I uploaded and this one? - and shouldn't one (mine) be deleted?
confused......mors
thanks
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  20:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mors,Iam not sure which one you uploaded but The latest one is just an update of additional stores.Thanks to you also Marvin,looks great and to mors for his latest Star bucks canada.Now lets find the missing stores.

Edited by - johndh on 13 sept. 2006 20:44:40
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  20:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's cool - i did notice you have more stores than I did. I noticed you stated you got them direct from the website (alot of work). I just write a program to pull things off of store locators (a little bit of work up front, then just computer time). Someone wanted Sheetz Gas Stations - I'm working (or the computer is anyway) on that right now. It'd be a huge help if companies would just hand over a digital list of their stores. I've asked many stores to do that and all of them say to use their store locator. Some store locators are worthless for pulling information.
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
257 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one of these days some of these retail stores will realize the benefit and have a link to download a ready-to-go compatible file right from their website- we can hope!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05