Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2401

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 Tim Hortons POI's
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  02:42:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

The largest coffee and doughnut chain in Canada

Tim Hortons database by johndh, mors, and Dewi

UPDATED: 3,278 US/Canada locations as of May 5, 2008

Tim Horton POI's:

CSV format (for Garmins): Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20080505.zip

XLS format (use or modify for other products): Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20080505.zip

icon ICO - This is the icon shown on the above screenshot of MS Streets & Trips

icon BMP - Same as above, but in BMP format

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 05 mai 2008 15:49:57

Ads

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  02:45:10  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Makes you wanna go there ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  03:02:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Yes, absolutely ! No day begins here without a good cup of Tim Hortons coffee. Some Canadians consider Tim Hortons an icon of Canadian culture. I'm actually surprised no-one yet started to collect POI's in this category. And since I've never done this myself I have a couple of questions:

1. I will need an Excel spreadsheet that will check for duplicate entries when I add new locations. Is there a formula available here so I don't have to re-invent a wheel? It's been a while since I've done some work with XL.

2. In the .zip file I included two *.ico files (16 by 16 pixels and 32 x 32 pixels), and also a *.bmp file (32 x 32 pixels). I personally used only the 16 pixels *.ico file for importing to MapPoint and also Streets & Trips. What are the usual file formats and sizes other people require for other applications / devices?

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  09:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If you remove the first line (latitude,longitude,name), you can open your file with PoiEdit (format Navman Comma Separated *.csv) and find duplicate entries. Unfortunately as all names are identical it is difficult to recognise duplicated entries.

Jean
Team GpsPasSion - Moderator

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  11:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jean,

I just noticed you posted in your index another Tim Hortons POI list by Mors. That one I'm guessing may actually be based on the company's own database because it includes almost 3,000 locations which is very close to 100% complete.

I may abandon my project eventually . But there is one good thing about my POI's: they are locations easily accessible to the public. I noticed the other list includes even such locations that may not be normally frequented by the general public, for example in hospitals, office buildings, schools, etc.

Marvin Hlavac

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 09 sept. 2006 11:54:42
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  15:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes, mors did one a while back at my suggestions- even tho i'm from the US i know a good cup of coffee when i see one!
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  02:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have sent a tim hortons address list(2914 stores).someone will have to do the geocode.some tim hortons have same addresses due to the fact that gov. and universities ect. have more than one tim hortons at their location.this is up to date but missing about 12 stores.maybe somebody can find them and keep this up to date.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  03:35:24  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, that's great. Is the list directly from the company?

I'm somewhat undecided about this whole idea of Tim Hortons POI collecting. The source I've attempted to use is MS MapPoint POI extraction. It's not something that can be done in one simple step, but it is doable. But the database is far from complete. I think I can hope of getting around 500 locations at the most this way. I'm not happy with having access to less than 20% of stores. Neither am I happy when I look at what looks like the complete list of Tim Hortons locations by Mors. When I want a coffee I don't want to drive some place just to end up in front of a hospital or a school or an office building, etc. I wonder if a list exists which doesn't include such locations. MapPoint doesn't seem to include those stores, but 20% is not satisfactory either.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  06:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Store discription is included with this file,So you will know if its a Gas station,gov.building,university ect.It is best to leave all locations intact in order to know how up to date the list is and to add to it when new stores pop up.http://www.batchgeocode.com/ seems to be the better method for batch geocoding as long as you make sure you use the format they specify.Mappoint does not seem to get all the locations correctly.If anybody has a good accurate method for batch geocoding ,I sure would like to hear from them.This list was straight from the store locations website.(A lot of work.)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  15:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
johndh, thanks much for the database. It has just been geocoded and uploaded.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  18:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just wondering Marv,If you used mappoint and if you were able to geocode down to street level for all locations?Also the new file does not seem to be downloadable at this point from the web site.(It redirects me.)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  18:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the link... it should work now :-)

MapPoint wasn't used for geocoding. Neither were POI's extracted from MapPoint. The downloadable list is exactly the way you e-mailed it to me, I only added latitudes and longitudes. It was all batch-geocoded at batchgeocode.com. I had to tinker with it a bit at first, but then eventually it was done all at once! It took a few hours. I'm not exactly sure how long it took. After about an hour last night I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning it was all done. All 2915 locations but about 13 were successfully batch-geocoded. The 13 I had to do separately this morning.

Again, John, thanks very much. We all owe you an extra large double-double .

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  19:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so what's the difference between the one I uploaded and this one? - and shouldn't one (mine) be deleted?
confused......mors
thanks
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  20:40:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mors,Iam not sure which one you uploaded but The latest one is just an update of additional stores.Thanks to you also Marvin,looks great and to mors for his latest Star bucks canada.Now lets find the missing stores.

Edited by - johndh on 13 sept. 2006 20:44:40
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  20:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's cool - i did notice you have more stores than I did. I noticed you stated you got them direct from the website (alot of work). I just write a program to pull things off of store locators (a little bit of work up front, then just computer time). Someone wanted Sheetz Gas Stations - I'm working (or the computer is anyway) on that right now. It'd be a huge help if companies would just hand over a digital list of their stores. I've asked many stores to do that and all of them say to use their store locator. Some store locators are worthless for pulling information.
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  22:16:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one of these days some of these retail stores will realize the benefit and have a link to download a ready-to-go compatible file right from their website- we can hope!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  23:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mors, sorry, when I started this thread I didn't know of your database. Both, yours and John's POI's are very impressive. Both are almost 100% complete! I like the fact that the list by John tells us if a particular location is in a mall, airport, university, hospital, etc, so I can avoid those when I just need a quick coffee and a bagel.

It's impressive how you guys collect the POI's. Keep up the great work! I, too, hope that a few years down the road chain store companies will let the public download POI locations easily from their own websites.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2006 :  06:06:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried downloading file to gps but get an error.I can open it in excel ok.But when I try to save it,get a message "May contain features that are not compatible with cvs"It gives me the option to click "yes" to save to this format.I used garmins poiloader to do it but no joy.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2006 :  10:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I didn't want to remove any of your columns from the spreadsheet to retain all the info. All that can be imported to for example Microsoft Streets & Trips, but some programs or some devices may have problems with it. Try to remove the columns which contain ZIP, Phone, etc. Keep just the first three columns (lat, long, and name). Save it, and try it again. (If it works we can post both files.)

Or could it be the very first row in the spreadsheet which should be deleted? Try it.

Marvin Hlavac

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 14 sept. 2006 11:38:28
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2006 :  23:18:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a "data format error" on line 546 in Tim Horton database also there is a "data format error" on lines 530,1003,1532,2009,2081,3154 in Starbucks usa.The canadian Starbucks seems to be ok.This is preventing from loading into gps.I can see the errors on Starbucksusa file but I can't visually see the error in Tim Hortons file but it says there is one there.Also in Starbucks usa,lines 4321,6577,6822,1748 and a few others in the address column,need to be back spaced or you get an error on loading into gps.

Edited by - johndh on 14 sept. 2006 23:47:23
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2006 :  23:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's odd, but I just checked the line 546 and I see an error in geocoding. The coordinates place the location about a half a kilometer south of the actual address. I updated the file and it is now uploaded. But would that cause the error? I think that is unlikely. Try the new file anyway. If that doesn't work, look at the three subsequent lines. There are missing the actual postal codes. I don't think this should affect anything either, but you could try to delete the lines and see if it helps.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  01:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I couldn't see the error either but I did a sort using a different columb to change the record number and the error moved to a different row but I don't think it was the same record that showed the original error in line 546.(Its probably going to be something very obvious but just can't see it."
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  15:49:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hopefully fixed the starbucks file and reuploaded it here:
Starbucks

can you verify it for me?
thanks
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  18:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks mors,I haven't had a chance to try it yet.I think the Canadian one was ok but I noticed on the U.S.file, some addresses had to be back spaced and some addresses seemed to create their own fields in the lat,long columns.It appeared in I think, about 10 different records or more.
When you posted the American Starbucks,I was hopeing you would do the Canadian one.So thanks for that. I use them all the time as I'am sure hundreds of people do.
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  18:23:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a look at your new upload.Take a look at line 1339.this creates a problem when down loading to gps.there maybe more but this was the first one I saw."Address is spilling over into next record."
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  18:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

There is a problem with """ in :

-118.0463507,34.55794999,Starbucks,"4644 E Avenue S"""
Palmdale, California 93552,,
"661-285-5400""",,,

Jean

Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  19:13:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks - I uploaded it again.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  19:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

I couldn't properly load your POI file (both 0912 & 0914 versions). It started with a format error on line 547. I opened the csv file up with Excel but I couldn't figure out what the problem was with the formatting on that line, so I just deleted the line and tried again. The next time it found another format error in a subsequent line, so I did the same thing (deleted line, saved as csv, closed, opened POILoader, tried to reload). It kept finding format errors in other lines, so I finally gave up after about 20 minutes of opening/deleting/retrying. However, mors' file loads fine, so I went back to it.

Regards,
Dewi

PS Thanks to both of you for doing this.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  20:00:44  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I have no problem with the file, but I've only imported it into MS Streets & Trips. Other software and/or other devices will need different format (so I will have to figure out how to do this since I've never done anything with POI's previously).

Could anyone please do a quick test for me to see if the following works: TimHorton-test002.csv

Marvin Hlavac

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 15 sept. 2006 20:01:58
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  20:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin Hlavac

Could anyone please do a quick test for me to see if the following works: TimHorton-test002.csv

Marvin,

It worked! What'd you do? BTW, I'm using the Garmin POI Loader, to a Street Pilot C530.

Cheers,
Dewi
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  21:15:29  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dewi - thanks :-)

The original file has 7 columns: Latitude, Longitude, Name, Address, City, Prov/State, Postal / Zip, Country, and Phone. That works just fine when importing into MS Streets & Trips (or MS MapPoint), but I guess Garmin may not like such format. I don't have a suitable Garmin product handy to test a POI file with, but after opening a few other POI files by other people I noticed they consist of 3 or 4 columns. Second thing I noticed that the first column in most POI files is longitude (not latitude). So I very quickly (in MS Excel) deleted a few columns and switch the lat & long columns around. I will keep the original file on the front page, so people can modify it to their needs. I will however post this file there as well. I could add some info into the address column, for example the state, zip, phone, etc if needed. Let me know what should be included and I will modify it accordingly.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  23:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin test2 of tims is fine now.I don't think I am going to phone them or wright them a letter anyway.

Mors Starbucks usa still problem on line 530 and others lines further down.Will not load with the addresses that over lap to next row.There is address information were Latitude&longitude should be.
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  23:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Odd - I just got downloaded the starbucks from here: starbucks
and it looks ok.

Can you check it out again and then the admin will need to put it in the permanent place.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  23:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, yes, there is no need to write a letter to them now. You’ve done the hard work already ;-) But it would be nice to have a regular annual update ;-)

Question, does the name of the store appear on your Garmin? I mean, can you tell if it is a regular Tim Hortons location or a hospital, school, office building, mall, etc? I have that info in my Streets & Trips, does Garmin get it from the file, too? (If not, I will need to modify the file.)

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  00:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mors,Back space the addresses in lines 3803,4323,5035,5638,6579,and 6824 and it loads fine after that fix.thanks

Marvin, I have the Garmin C550 and I use their poi loader from their website.It shows all information that is in the file, Incl. phone and postal code ect.Maybe Mors can look at the file because his shows all info on my garmin.The way the file is now,I can see if it is a hospital,"On the run" gas bar,school ect.

Edited by - johndh on 16 sept. 2006 01:41:14
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  02:23:19  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just posted the above mentioned files on the first page.

Tomorrow I'll try to find some more time for this. I'll try to add province/state, phone, etc to the Garmin CSV file.

Btw, what is the best icon size for Garmin? Does Garmin accept ICO files or only BMP? Can Garmin icons use transparent color? How?

Marvin Hlavac

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 16 sept. 2006 02:25:49
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  15:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is another file to try on a Garmin: TimHorton-test003.csv

In Microsoft Excel I used the =CONCATENATE function to join Address, City, Prov/State, and Phone, found in separate columns of the original file, into one text string.

I don't know if or how it will work. Give it a try and let me know if this is a better file to use with Garmin than the previous test002 file.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TomTom users:

OV2 file has just been uploaded, but it hasn't been tested on a Tomtom, yet. If anyone would be so kind to test it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/team/Tim_Hortons_20060915.ov2

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  22:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently POI icons for Garmin should be 24 x 24 pixel in size or smaller. Magenta (RBG 255, 0, 255) can be used as the transparent color.

I've attempted to make a 24 x 24 icon with transparent background. If anyone wishes to test it and give feedback: Timhorton24.bmp

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  23:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

Your icone is working on my Tomtom One 6.15

Jean
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2006 :  00:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jean, thanks. Is the magenta really transparent? If it is transparent, does the icon look good at all when on TomTom map?

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

jlb

France
29542 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2006 :  18:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,

Your icon is not transparent on my Tomtom but it's not a problem for me.

Jean

Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 17 sept. 2006 :  23:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin,timhortons-test003 loaded successfully on Garmin units with all address detail showing.Used poi loader from garmin web site.Looks good this is the one to post.Thanks.

Edited by - johndh on 17 sept. 2006 23:38:29
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  15:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starbucks:
johndh - thanks for the info - here's the latest starbucks to try:
Starbucks

Once this downloads fine, I'll start it's own topic.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  17:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've found dozens of stores have the exact same coordinates, desite having separate addresses. A few examples are:

39.960449 -82.997536 Tim Hortons 1815 Hilliard-Rome Rd Columbus Ohio 43026 US Tel: (614) 527-8485
39.960449 -82.997536 Tim Hortons 3450 Gender Road Columbus Ohio 43110 US Tel: (614) 834-4859

42.2794 -82.712692 Tim Hortons 1218 County Road 22 Lakeshore Ontario N0R1C0 CA Tel: (519) 727-0820
42.2794 -82.712692 Tim Hortons 5 Amy Croft Dr Lakeshore Ontario N8N2L9 CA Tel: (519) 735-3710

42.978767 -82.403778 Tim Hortons 1200 - 1208 Murphy Rd Sarnia Ontario N7S2Y2 CA Tel: (519) 542-4877
42.978767 -82.403778 Tim Hortons 1707 London Line Sarnia Ontario N7W1B2 CA Tel: (519) 542-6800

42.982517 -81.253983 Tim Hortons (London Galleria Mall) 134 - 355 Wellington St London Ontario N6A3N7 CA Tel: (519) 642-4524
42.982517 -81.253983 Tim Hortons B - 109 Fanshawe Park Rd E London Ontario N5X2S7 CA Tel: (519) 660-3584
42.982517 -81.253983 Tim Hortons 176 - 178 Dundas St Unit 2 London Ontario N6A1G7 CA Tel: (519) 439-4993
42.982517 -81.253983 Tim Hortons 11 Baseline Rd E London Ontario N6C5Z8 CA Tel: (519) 433-8890
42.982517 -81.253983 Tim Hortons (UWO) 130 - 1421 Western Rd London Ontario N6G4W4 CA Tel: (519) 661-2111

43.09156 -73.638878 Tim Hortons 1563 Spencerport Road Gates New York 14606 US Tel: (585) 247-1470
43.09156 -73.638878 Tim Hortons 1508 Buffalo Rd. Gates New York 14624 US Tel: (585) 527-9150

The entire list of duplicate coordinates is too long to list here. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is so?
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  18:08:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This seems to be an issue when using http://www.batchgeocode.com/.I have noticed this also when I used it.maybe somebody else can give some insight as to why this happens.Address formatting possibly? Or maybe it can't find the coordinates for a given address and just enters the coordinates from the previous entry.

Edited by - johndh on 18 sept. 2006 18:11:19
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  18:43:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
john - the latter would be my guess...being a programmer, it seems like he's not resetting his variables before he tries to get the geo for the next address and then the output contains that previous entry. I'll have to remember to check for that if I run any more that way. Or surely we can tell him to fix it.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  19:23:00  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the info. I'll look into it tonight, too. I wonder if the result will be better if I do just 500 locations at one time as opposed to doing all 2915 locations at once. Likely not, though, but I may give it a try anyway (before I do it the hard way by searching for the duplicates).

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  20:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears that in cases where there are duplicate coordinates for multiple stores, none of the coordinates are accurate (at least for the ones I've looked at so far). Perhaps that batchcoding program selected the geographic centre of town where it couldn't provide more accurate results. Anyway, I'm going through the duplicate ones in my downloaded file and I am correcting the coordinates based on the actual listed addresses. I can post my edited csv file when I'm done, if nobody else has fixed this problem by then.
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  20:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah,team work!,thats what makes this such a good site.Just wondering Mors,do you use batchgeocode.com because your coordinates seem to be fairly accuate at least the few I have looked at?

Edited by - johndh on 18 sept. 2006 20:40:09
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  20:58:37  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dewi, that's excellent! Much appreciated!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  21:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just started using batch geocode...the Sheetz POI that I did - I'm doing Barnes & Noble with batch geocode right now. In the past I would look it up in maporama.com or mappoint.com - mappoint doesn't work since microsoft bought them. I think I've used another site, but can't find it right now. Batchgeocode.com is so much faster, but maybe not as accurate??? I'll look at 10 of these barnes and noble stores and see how accurate it is. It's running right now so I should have results soon. (811 pois). On some sites, I can dig the lat/long from the html source, so that's why they might be accurate. NOTE: tim hortons has lat/long information in the html source, so I'm sure that's where I got my tim horton values from.
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  21:22:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the results from what I'm seeing at geobatchcode.com. It seems like Dewi is correct in that it seems to be using the center of town (or zipcode if supplied). In the 10 I checked (mostly those with intersections or street names differ somewhat like "Hwy 30" is not the same as "US-30", you know those types of addresses), they weren't mapped correctly. I ran geobatchcode process again with a couple of addresses just providing city, state, and zip, and it gave the same coordinates as what I got when I gave the address as well. Here's my plan of action for the B&N list I'm working on: I'm going to run batchgeocode again providing all unique city, states, and zips I have and see if any of those coordinates are the same as what I ended up with when I provided the complete address and fix the discrepancies manually. Those that are the same are obviously problems where batchgeocode couldn't get exact coordinates for. They should mark those somehow (if they can). I'll post my results of how many locations are the same as "center of town/zipcode"...

Edited by - mors on 18 sept. 2006 21:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  22:19:09  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I re-did the geocoding. I did only the US locations for the time being. The Canadian locations are un-changed for now in the following file. Please, have a look at it if there are some obvious mistakes in the US locations:

TimHorton-test004.csv

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  22:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my results from the Barnes & Noble POIs at batchgeocode.com. 50 out of 811 POIs pointed to the center of city/state/zipcode. Reasons:
1. Addresses like 911-B S Hampton Drive is not the same as 911 S Hampton Drive
2. Addresses that aren't formatted "correctly", like 193 Route 31 instead of 193 US-RT 31
3. Some misspellings in addresses (avene instead of avenue)
4. Newer addresses (malls just built on new streets)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 18 sept. 2006 :  23:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Those are all good reasons for not locating a particular address. It would indeed be more appropriate to have an error returned instead of imperfect lat/long.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2006 :  00:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using mappoint 2006 will tell you if it located at street,postal.or city level.Most of those that are not at street level can be corrected to street level, if as Mors says make sure the formatting is correct.I sometimes will look at a tims location and verify its location by entering its address in the gps and see how far apart the two locations are.Thats why its a good idea to have the address information in the poi.

Edited by - johndh on 19 sept. 2006 00:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2006 :  03:15:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update on my progress with the file...

When I said there were dozens of stores sharing coordinates with at least one other store, there are actually 369 locations like this (i.e. they were batch coded to an incorrect default geographic center point). I've manually corrected almost all of these 369 errors using the address information provided. I still have a handful of difficult ones to do that are literally not on the map(s). I've had to find local maps online from business improvement areas, etc. in those smaller locales in order to locate proper street names, etc. Since Tim Horton's is expanding, often in newly built outskirt areas, some of the locations' roads just aren't on the map yet (including on Tim Horton's store locator map).

On top of this, the only way I could flag these incorrectly coded locations was when I could see that there were two or more stores with the same coordinates. There will also be some areas with only one store address that the batch coding couldn't properly interpret, so I should also check the other store coordinates to see if they match the listed addresses (at least for smaller towns). This may take some time so it may be a couple of days until I post a file. It's probably best to take the time to get the file as clean as possible.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2006 :  10:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dewi, just like johndh, you deserve a extra large double-double!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 21 sept. 2006 :  15:56:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good job dewi,Just remember some locations have the same address within a building, so watch for those.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  15:23:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm going nuts here. For the life of me I can't seem to figure out where these ones are:

Tim Hortons, 3013 Hwy 69 N, Val Caron, ON, P3N1R8, Tel: (705) 897-5005
Tim Hortons (Val-Est Mall), 33 - 3140 Hwy 69 N, Val Caron, ON, P3N1G3, Tel: (705) 897-6493
Tim Hortons, 5085 Hwy 69 N, Hanmer, ON, P3P1J6, Tel: (705) 969-2955

They are all in the Greater Sudbury Area and apparently on Highway 69 North, but all the maps I've found show that Highway 69 does not reach Val Caron or Hanmer.

Anyone willing to take a crack at finding the coordinates for these ones?

(I guess I could call the stores, but that would just be too sensible for me.)
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  16:16:02  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Based on the postal codes it seems the mysterious Hwy-69 in that area is a.k.a. RR-80 or also Desmarais Rd. Please add the following co-ordinates to your corrections:

Longitude | Latitude | Partial Address
-81.00748501 46.61053333 3013 Hwy 69 N
-81.00737014 46.61424334 3140 Hwy 69 N
-80.98950212 46.65254712 5085 Hwy 69 N

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 22 sept. 2006 20:24:52
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  17:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm, but I wouldn't bet my life on it...

...I'm still looking...

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  18:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for 3140 Highway 69 N,Val Caron,ON I got 46.609257,-81.04985 using the gpsvisualizer website.That site also tells me it is in BLEZARD VALLEY which seems to reflect tim hortons store locator site.I guess it is located in a mall.you might be able to cofirm this by looking at google earth and see if a mall is located there,if its not too new.havn't had time yet to do that.

Edited by - johndh on 22 sept. 2006 18:29:33
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  19:04:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been using Google Earth. The one you looked at is supposedly in the Val-Est (Valley East) Mall. The problem is that coordinate is >20km north of Hwy 69. Googling Val Caron and Highway 69 N shows me that there are other addresses in town on Hwy 69 N, but I can't seem to find any maps with Hwy 69 anywhere near them. In other towns I've found tourist maps, transit maps, developers websites, etc. as visual references.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  19:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's very odd that we cannot see any maps with Hwy-69 N. Very odd, indeed. But I think I may have the first two of the three right. Have a look at this timhortons.com map of the 3140 Highway 69 N location: click me

However, I suspect the above co-ordinates for the third store may be incorrect. I even made a phone call, but the lady didn't know the name of any cross street nearby ;-)

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  19:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah that link doesn't look like the right location. Many of the Tim Horton's website map location outputs aren't that useful because the Mapquest/Navteq data can't locate the listed address either -- they just indicate the center of the postal code or town which can be way off in smaller places.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  20:26:57  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just edited the lat/long (store #3) in my post on the top of this page. I think this is where the store is. (I think...)

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  20:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin, thanks for the coordinates. I still don't understand the Hwy 69 address, but we'll go with what you've posted. One last one:

883307 Highway 65 E

I think this store in New Liskeard is actually around the junction of Hwy 11 & 65. Any ideas?

Edited by - Dewi on 22 sept. 2006 23:58:47
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  21:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I only do what I normally do at work when I am given an address I cannot find. The above address for example, 883307 Highway 65 E, New Liskeard, ON. I see on the map that Highway 65 E is also called Whitewood Ave. However, there is no number 883307 at Whitewood Ave, but I do see number 307 at Whitewood Ave . Am I 100% sure that's where it is? No. But that would be my best guess in this case.

-79.6833354976604 & 47.5086960243096

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  23:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thinking, but unfortunately I've seen other similar 6 digit addresses too. For example, the Tritown Chamber of Commerce is listed at:

883356 Hwy 65 East, New Liskeard, ON Canada P0J1P0
http://www.tritownchamber.ca/

It's at Hwys 11 & 65 so I'll put the Tim Horton's near there.
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 23 sept. 2006 :  01:23:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found error on tims store locater website.Address 11890 Hurontario St., brampton is acually 11980 Hurontario st. Brampton.It is located at a Sunoco station.the coordinates for that store are 43.732962,-79.825106.just a little north of the old coordinates and across the street from tims at 11975 Hurontario.

Edited by - johndh on 24 sept. 2006 02:58:14
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2006 :  03:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
google earth lists the address 883356 Hwy 65 East in "Dymond" not New Liskeard

Edited by - johndh on 24 sept. 2006 03:08:33
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2006 :  22:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks John, I even see the Sunoco gas station address in MS MapPoint. So I guess you live in the west end ;-)

I'll update the files shortly after Dewi is done with his project. Btw, how did you get Google to show you the location of 883356 Hwy 65 E?

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 24 sept. 2006 :  23:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did a search for "Tritown Chamber of Commerce"on google earth.It gave the same address but the town was different
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2006 :  00:29:08  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I noticed that we may zoom on a specific area in GoogleMaps, and then simply search for Tim Hortons. It will display locations which actually do seem quite up-to-date. But I see none in New Liskeard / Dymond area. But this GoogleMaps may come handy. Check this sample search: click me

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2006 :  01:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is another one you could try http://www.findbyclick.com/coffee.html
It shows the two tim hortons in New liskeard.

Edited by - johndh on 25 sept. 2006 01:18:52
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2006 :  03:37:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, Marvin -- thanks for the corrections and tips. I underestimated how long it would take to check the coordinates of all the non-duplicate locations. The duplicates (i.e. obvious geocoding errors) accounted for about 13% of the original batch coding and those have been corrected as mentioned in an earlier post. Based on my verifications of less than one quarter of the other 87% of the original batch coding, the remaining error rate is in the order of 5% or so. Since I am checking each one individually using the lat/long coordinates to at least make sure they appear on the correct road address it will still take some time (maybe up to a week) to find the time to correct the other locations. [At first I didn't do the math: about 30 secs to verify each location x ~2400 locations = 1200 minutes = 20 hours]. I'm finding most errors are simply due to typos from the address info on the Tim Hortons site.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 25 sept. 2006 :  19:21:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
John, that's a very helpful site! It does even say such details as drive-thru, if they have lunch menu, if they have dining area! Nice find!

Dewi, wow, that is a lot of work! Don't rush it! Take as much time as you want! We'll wait ;-)

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 25 sept. 2006 19:23:34
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 26 sept. 2006 :  01:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I found 3 new locations

Cranberry Village
hwy 6
Cavendish,PE C1A 1N0 CA
Tel: NA
46.484120 -63.406820

8826 Main Street
Bristol,NB E7L 2A1 CA
Tel: (506) 392-9009
46.412330 -66.936550

4 Union St
Minto,NB E4B 2N4 CA
Tel: (506) 327-3514
46.070280 -66.060850

Edited by - johndh on 26 sept. 2006 02:25:14
Go to Top of Page

eddieras

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 27 sept. 2006 :  18:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow- i'm impressed - i posted the following back in June and look how far its gone - and i'm not even near a tim horton's - unfortunately!

Posted - 06/23/2006 : 20:51:02
quote:-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mors

cool - sorry it's been awhile - after the split of this forum, I wasn't subscribed. Been busy and just now started looking at messages here again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by eddieras

certainly you don't need to apologize! you're doing something for all of us-- thanks again!

now, when you gonna start working on Tim Horton's??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND THEN MORS CAME UP WITH THE FIRST FILE SHORTLY THEREAFTER! THANKS AGAIN!
Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1157 Posts

Posted - 28 sept. 2006 :  03:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed some errors in the Tim Hortons file:

Line #1379
-79.4372, 43.8712
1&2 - 9005 Leslie St, Richmond Hill, Ontario, Tel: (905) 882-9990 shows as being located at Yonge & Major Mackenzie Dr.

Lines #1189, #1603
-79.5282, 43.9287
King City Travel Plaza 12001 Hwy 400 Northbound, PO Box 719, King City, Ontario, Tel: (905) 832-7770 are duplicates and show up at Keele and King Road not on Hwy 400.

Line #1536,
-79.5124, 43.8549
Maple Travel Plaza 11200 Hwy 400 Southbound, PO Box 668, Maple, Ontario, Tel: (905) 303-2732 shows up at Keele and Major Mackenzie Dr. not Hwy 400.

Lines #1852, #1853
-79.3792, 43.7224
Sunnybrook Hospital 2075 Bayview Ave, Toronto, Ontario, Tel: (416) 480-6100 shows up as a duplicate or are here 2 locations in the hospital?

Hpatlik

Edited by - hpatlik on 28 sept. 2006 03:11:28
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 28 sept. 2006 :  04:58:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About 20%-25% of the file's store locations are incorrect due to typos or addresses that were "difficult" for the batch coding to interpret (GI->GO). You'll probably find quite a number of store location errors along your routes, so it's probably best to wait until I finish my corrections before posting them as there are so many (over 600 in total). I'm almost half way done, so it'll be a few more days until I can post it.
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 28 sept. 2006 :  16:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I will post dewi at this point, is new locations if I find any.
Go to Top of Page

darthemma

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 oct. 2006 :  16:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are a couple of Tim Horton's I found that weren't in the POI on a recent trip:
-75.856766 44.489433 Tim Hortons
-75.835833 44.50505 Tim Hortons

Garmin StreetPilot 7200
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2006 :  02:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those two coordinates maybe reference to "678 Hwy 401 Westbound, PO Box 12" and "680 Hwy 401 Eastbound, PO Box 18" Mallorytown,Ont.that are already on the list but the coordinates maybe off.Dewi I beleive,is working on that part of the project.If you have the addresses along with the coordinates would be best.this eliminates duplicate entries from estimated coordinates and actual coordinates.Yours I beleive, are the actual coordinates which is what we are after thanks darthemma

Edited by - johndh on 09 oct. 2006 02:35:11
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  15:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all. Yes I'm still alive. Despite working at this for a couple hours a day I'm only just past the 2000 store mark. I've sorted the file by latitude ascending, so I've worked my way just north of Pembroke ON/Drummondville QC/Amherst NS. There are about a dozen difficult locations I've found so far that I ended up putting on the backburner because they were taking so long to figure out. If anyone likes a challenge let me know and I'll post them here.

John, thanks for the new locations. I've found a couple of new locations too. You're right about the Mallorytown Travel Plaza location(s). The problem with the travel plazas is: a) they were all autocoded incorrectly, likely because the address refers to a PO Box in the nearest town; and b) the actual Hwy # address of the locations are always different than the site location, sometimes several kilometres down the road. So for the travel plazas I've had to locate which interchanges they're between and do a visual pinpointing of the actual locations. I also noticed this weekend that the Mississauga Travel Plaza is closed, so I've deleted it.

The error rate so far is over 25% so there will appear to be missing locations as well as incorrectly located ones. In most cases the location will already be in the file, just at the wrong lat/long. However, if you know of any newly opened stores, please post them. At the end of this I may cross-reference the Esso website Tim Horton's locations with the list to look for potential new locations.

So sorry for the delay. If someone's interested in an interim file I can post it.
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  15:59:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you want to post the difficult ones dewi,maybe between all of us we can figure them out.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  16:14:11  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dewi, don't rush it. It's way too much work. As John says, post the challenging ones; perhaps someone with the local knowledge may help.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  16:24:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, when i pulled the following it's more like two dozen:

43.763458 -65.323036 Tim Hortons 85 Ohio Rd Shelburne NS B0T1W0 CA Tel: (902) 875-2513
43.946228 -79.830612 Tim Hortons RR 1 Palgrave ON L0N1P0 CA Tel: (905) 936-9417
44.418392 -80.095947 Tim Hortons 201 Main St Stayner ON L0M1S0 CA Tel: (705) 428-6999
44.611813 -63.47337 Tim Hortons 1104 Main Rd Eastern Passage NS B3G1M6 CA Tel: (902) 465-7878
44.6826 -63.5354 Tim Hortons 159 Main St Dartmouth NS B2X1S1 CA Tel: (902) 434-7115
44.841679 -65.289093 Tim Hortons 640 Granville St E Bridgetown NS B0S1C0 CA Tel: (902) 665-4555
44.919842 -79.374092 Tim Hortons Hwy-11 (S) Gravenhurst ON P1P1R1 CA Tel: (705) 687-8277
44.9719 -64.9338 Tim Hortons 756 Central Ave Greenwood NS B0P1M0 CA Tel: (902) 765-8008
44.9758 -64.9283 Tim Hortons 756 Ward Rd Greenwood NS B0P1N0 CA Tel: (902) 765-6947
44.987263 -64.962051 Tim Hortons 806 Main St Kingston NS B0P1R0 CA Tel: (902) 765-0290
45.051369 -64.737953 Tim Hortons 193 Commercial St Berwick NS B0P1E0 CA Tel: (902) 538-1104
45.0674 -64.4522 Tim Hortons 9061 Commercial St New Minas NS B4N3E6 CA Tel: (902) 681-2253
45.0693 -64.4418 Tim Hortons (County Fair SC) 9256 Commercial St New Minas NS B4N3E6 CA Tel: (902) 681-4507
45.0698 -64.1808 Tim Hortons 16 Chittick Ave Hantsport NS B0P1P0 CA Tel: (902) 684-0191
45.077915 -67.053841 Tim Hortons 203 Mowatt Dr St. Andrews NB E5B1B4 CA Tel: (506) 529-4080
45.0783 -64.4952 Tim Hortons 30 Webster St Kentville NS B4N1H7 CA Tel: (902) 678-0010
45.0791 -64.4962 Tim Hortons 70 Aberdeen St Kentville NS B2N2N3 CA Tel: (902) 678-7394
45.3271 -75.702 Tim Hortons 2271 Hwy-16 Nepean ON K2E6Z8 CA Tel: (613) 727-6996
45.3955 -71.9719 Tim Hortons 5035, boul. Industriel Sherbrooke QC J1R0P4 CA Tel: (819) 563-2111
45.398426 -71.918686 Tim Hortons 4470, boul. Bourque Vaudreuil Sherbrooke QC J1N1S3 CA Tel: (819) 823-5550
45.4174 -65.9423 Tim Hortons 3 Industrial Dr Quispamsis NB E2E4B1 CA Tel: (506) 849-7133
45.456604 -73.479774 Tim Hortons 9350, boul. Leduc Brossard QC J4Y0B3 CA Tel: (450) 678-5542
45.5218 -73.8093 Tim Hortons 760, rue Desserte Ouest Laval QC H7X3S9 CA Tel: (450) 969-3435
45.6049 -62.6382 Tim Hortons 13 Main St Trenton NS B0K1X1 CA Tel: (902) 752-2297
45.62253 -61.99155 Tim Hortons 34 Main St Antigonish NS B2G2B2 CA Tel: (902) 863-6000
45.6227 -61.9892 Tim Hortons 219 Main St Antigonish NS B2G2C1 CA Tel: (902) 863-6212
45.736248 -63.867088 Tim Hortons 4484 Upper Main St Oxford NS B0M1P0 CA Tel: (902) 447-3338
45.847527 -66.471031 Tim Hortons 3 Gateway Dr Oromocto NB E2V4R3 CA Tel: (506) 357-7603

For addresses that Google Earth can't locate, I usually do a reverse lookup on the phone number to see if there's errors or alternate street/town names. If I can't fix it using that info I try to look at the postal code area to see if there's an obvious answer (such as Main St also being called Hwy-X; missing the E/W/N/S suffix; etc.), although one postal code can cover a very large area in less densely populated areas. I also check it on multimap.com. If I still can't fix it I try to find it on the local town's website, which usually will provide a town map. If that doesn't work I do a general Google search on the street address, hoping to find a website with an accurate location description or map, even if it's for a different business that may be in the same plaza, across the street, etc.
Go to Top of Page

darthemma

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2006 :  20:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johndh

those two coordinates maybe reference to "678 Hwy 401 Westbound, PO Box 12" and "680 Hwy 401 Eastbound, PO Box 18" Mallorytown,Ont.that are already on the list but the coordinates maybe off.Dewi I beleive,is working on that part of the project.If you have the addresses along with the coordinates would be best.this eliminates duplicate entries from estimated coordinates and actual coordinates.Yours I beleive, are the actual coordinates which is what we are after thanks darthemma

Johndh:
Yes, I got the coordinates for them while in their parking lots. Sorry I didn't get the addresses.

Garmin StreetPilot 7200
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 23 oct. 2006 :  20:50:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've since worked my way through the list all the way up to Yellowknife, correcting all the "easy" ones. However, I still have to go back to find the "difficult" ones listed above, plus another couple of dozen that I couldn't easily find since I made that post.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2006 :  05:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've uploaded my edits of mors/Marvin/johndh's Tim Hortons file in a Garmin-friendly (four column) CSV file. If anyone wants an Excel file with parsed address fields, I can upload that too. In the end I had to make educated guesses on 37 locations (<1.5%), which I'll list at the bottom of this message in case anyone has local knowledge to confirm or correct them.

When I started the corrections, the first thing I did was correct the ones with the exact same lat/long coordinates. There were 33 actual duplicates (exact same lat/long, address info and phone number) which were eliminated from the file. If there was any difference in the info, even just the phone number, I kept the entry (eg. there's sometimes more than one location in a university building). Nine more stores were added from johndh's post and a few others that I found using the Esso store locator.

Next, I went through the list by entering the other lat/long coordinates to see if they actually showed up on the right street. If they did I made the assumption that it was correctly located. If they didn't, I tried to find the correct coordinates based on the street address given and any corrections that I found on reverse lookups, town website info, etc. After I got around the GTA moving northward, I noticed that some locations were on the right street but sometimes off by a block or so. So eventually I ended up entering the full address in Google Earth, and using those coordinates to check against the original ones. If it was off significantly, I updated the coordinates in the file. Doing it this way slowed down the process, for one thing, but I also wanted to mention that some of the original (unchanged) lower latitude entries may still be off slightly. I went back and sampled some of the earlier ones and didn't find any obvious problems, but if you find that any are significantly off please post your findings here and I (or perhaps johndh or Marvin!) will update the file.

Here's the list of unfound/unconfirmed locations (I've also denoted these with an asterisk beside the Tim Hortons label in the CSV file):
44.422112 -80.079449 Tim Hortons* 201 Main St E Stayner ON L0M1S0 Tel: (705) 428-6999 Thanks johndh
44.865307 -79.323967 Tim Hortons* Hwy-11 (S) Gravenhurst ON P1P1R1 Tel: (705) 687-8277
44.987940 -64.949440 Tim Hortons* 806 Main St Kingston NS B0P1R0 Tel: (902) 765-0290
45.086071 -67.063975 Tim Hortons* 203 Mowatt Dr St. Andrews NB E5B1B4 Tel: (506) 529-4080
45.621569 -61.994773 Tim Hortons* 34 Main St Antigonish NS B2G2B2 Tel: (902) 863-6000
45.622897 -61.988570 Tim Hortons* 219 Main St Antigonish NS B2G2C1 Tel: (902) 863-6212
45.660130 -64.061550 Tim Hortons* 42 Main St Springhill NS B0M1X0 Tel: (902) 597-2033
45.675076 -61.523367 Tim Hortons* Hwy-104 (Auld's Cove) Havre Boucher NS B0H1P0 Tel: (902) 747-2400
45.732570 -63.871940 Tim Hortons* 4484 Upper Main St Oxford NS B0M1P0 Tel: (902) 447-3338
45.839631 -73.414574 Tim Hortons* 5 - 840 boul. L'Ange-Gardien Nord L'Assomption QC J5W1P6 Tel: (450) 589-6448
46.191870 -82.968477 Tim Hortons* 33 Causley St Blind River ON P0R1B0 Tel: (705) 356-1579
46.285720 -81.775152 Tim Hortons* 328 Hwy-17 McKerrow ON P0P1M0 Tel: (705) 862-7328
46.296929 -67.526938 Tim Hortons* 542 Main St Hartland NB E7P2N5 Tel: (506) 375-6658
47.059636 -67.754954 Tim Hortons* 452 Madawaska Rd Grand Falls NB E3Y1A3 Tel: (506) 473-1225
47.786254 -65.719712 Tim Hortons* 619 rue Principale Petit-Rocher NB E8J1G9 Tel: (506) 783-4404
48.066488 -66.376255 Tim Hortons* 396 William St Dalhousie NB E8C2X2 Tel: (506) 684-5569
48.163841 -53.983963 Tim Hortons* 72 Manitoba Dr Clarenville NL A5A1K6 Tel: (709) 466-3883
49.015730 -55.497120 Tim Hortons* 8 Trans Canada Hwy Bishop's Falls NL A0H1C0 Tel: (709) 258-2156
49.498932 -56.068356 Tim Hortons* 15 Little Bay Rd Springdale NL A0J1T0 Tel: (709) 673-5553
49.695075 -112.779970 Tim Hortons* 409 43 St S Lethbridge AB T1J0P6 Tel: (403) 327-2970
50.003800 -110.656500 Tim Hortons* 2355 Trans Canada Way SE Medicine Hat AB T1B4E9 Tel: (403) 528-9797
50.076451 -110.768014 Tim Hortons* 1475 S Highway Dr SE Redcliff AB T0J2P0 Tel: (403) 548-7979
50.417723 -105.533928 Tim Hortons* 461 Diefenbaker Dr Moose Jaw SK S6J1N8 Tel: (306) 692-1816
50.837390 -118.977080 Tim Hortons* 814 Trans Canada Hwy Sicamous BC V0E2V0 Tel: (250) 836-5333
51.049436 -113.825925 Tim Hortons* 300 - 120 Chestermere Station Way Chestermere AB T1X1V3 Tel: (403) 248-0000
51.269537 -114.008433 Tim Hortons* 2649 Main St S Airdrie AB T4B2V7 Tel: (403) 948-0119
52.355052 -114.903397 Tim Hortons* 4403 41 Ave/Hwy-11 Rocky Mountain House AB T4T1A6 Tel: (403) 845-6810
52.967329 -122.441806 Tim Hortons* 685 Newman Rd Quesnel BC V2J7A4 Tel: (250) 747-0559
53.866487 -122.783399 Tim Hortons* 5808 Southridge Ave Prince George BC V2N7A1 Tel: (250) 964-2521
56.233562 -117.285291 Tim Hortons* 7820 100 Ave Peace River AB T8S2A3 Tel: (780) 624-1400
46.886506 -71.501965 Tim Hortons* (CFB Val Cartier) 601 boul. Jacques Cartier Shannon QC G0A4N0 Tel: (418) 844-0219
45.438190 -73.437187 Tim Hortons* (Cineplex Odeon) 9350 boul. Leduc Brossard QC J4Y0B3 Tel: (450) 678-5542
56.963590 -111.481449 Tim Hortons* (CNRL Horizon Oil Sands Project) Hwy-63 N Fort McMurray AB CA Tel: (780) 598-3136
47.434049 -68.385526 Tim Hortons* (Madawaska Centre) 11 Madawaska Centre Blvd St. Basile NB E0L1H0 Tel: (506) 736-6207
53.575651 -116.450331 Tim Hortons* (On the Run) 4204 2 Ave Edson AB T7E1B8 Tel: (403) 712-4175
53.834743 -101.260445 Tim Hortons* (Otineka Mall) Hwy-10 N The Pas MB R9A1R2 Tel: (204) 623-1480
49.800535 -97.157241 Tim Hortons* (U of Manitoba) 75A Chancellor Dr Winnipeg MB R3T5V6 Tel: (204) 474-7328

Edited by - Dewi on 29 oct. 2006 21:06:43
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2006 :  01:17:35  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dewi, wow, we all owe you big for your hard work! I just updated the post on the first page. Would you please also upload the Excel file with all the info (if available). Perhaps some people would like it. I personally would like to use it for Streets & Trips (I'd like the complete address and phone number). But if you no longer have it in that format, that's okay. Don't waste your time with that. It's not that important any more. Thanks again!

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 28 oct. 2006 01:18:04
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2006 :  03:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marvin, it's not a problem; I already have it in both formats. It's here. The only extra info though is the country field (CA or US). The four column csv version has all the address and phone number info concatenated into one field. In the csv file it may appear to be only the street address, but if you select a cell in that column, you'll see the complete address and phone number are there. The full info shows up on my Garmin unit when I select each POI's info.

BTW, I just realized that I left some cell shading in the Excel file. In case you're wondering the dark green was my first pass of corrections, the light green my second pass of corrections, and the light yellow were ones that I had to use other sources to deduce their locations.

Edited by - Dewi on 01 nov. 2006 20:07:48
Go to Top of Page

johndh

56 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2006 :  15:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Stayner location is at 44.41824 -80.09573 S.E.corner of Airport Rd.(king St.)and Hwy26 (confirmed).Main St. I think is Hwy26 through Stayner.

Edited by - johndh on 29 oct. 2006 15:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 29 oct. 2006 :  21:25:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the update. I corrected another one on Sheppard Ave E in Scarborough. The updated files are here: csv, and xls. Marvin, would you please update the links on page one?
Go to Top of Page

mcewena

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  20:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys, Great collection!

I tried importing it into Destinator6 on my PDA and it's fairly wonky. It turns out that Destinator wants it in this format:

Name,comment/phone,lat,long,Zip,city,street,street#

Reordering the columns is of course no biggy but parsing out the address is bit of a pain, and Destinator gets pissed off with the line feeds in your address column.

Just fyi.

Art.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  20:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mcewena, try the "xls" file link (one above your post). It has the addresses parsed already, except for the street #s. Parsing the street #s from the street names shouldn't be as problematic since there are no line feeds in the xls file's cells.
Go to Top of Page

mcewena

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  20:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewi

mcewena, try the "xls" file link (one above your post). It has the addresses parsed already, except for the street #s. Parsing the street #s from the street names shouldn't be as problematic since there are no line feeds in the xls file's cells.

Fantastic, that's much easier! Thanks. I'd assumed the original post was being updated with changes/additions.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  22:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Front page updated with both CSV and XLS.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

BobM

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2006 :  02:46:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just noticed my local Tim Horton's is missing from your list

It's at N43.34381 W79.82515 and the address is:

1 - 1220 Brant St
Burlington,ON L7P 1X8 CA
Tel: (905) 331-6060

Bob
Burlington, ON
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 02 nov. 2006 :  04:16:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, that is one of the locations that was in the original file but mis-geocoded by the batch coding program. In other words, if you're using the original file it's address is there but it's not where it should be on the map. If you check the more recent files since I posted my edits (Oct 27 onwards), you should see that it shows up on the map correctly.
Go to Top of Page

BobM

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2006 :  04:08:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, you are correct - I was using an older file.

I just updated my GPS with the latest file and would point out that your coordinates aren't quite right - you're about 150m (metres not miles ) too far north. The coordinates I give above are more accurate.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 03 nov. 2006 :  05:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually about 66m too far NW, after doing the calc between the two coordinates. It brings up a good point though. The coordinates are primarily based upon street addresses, not the physical locations of buildings within a site location such as a mall lot. So, depending on the location of the store within the property some may appear "wrong". Not having the benefit of visiting all 2800+ locations, I had to rely on correcting to the address rather than the determining on-site locations (and BTW I only made corrections to the original coordinates in cases where there was a significant discrepancy).

Your local Tim's is a good example. If you search for "1220 Brant St, Burlington ON" in Google Maps or Google Earth you'll see it come up with a point at the corner of Brant & N Service Rd (i.e. the coordinates used in the current file). If you look at the aerial photos though, you'll notice what appears to be two fast food buildings immediately south, SW along N Service Rd and SE along Brant St. Now where do you put the location? On the one hand it looks like the driveway on Brant St between the two buildings is the best spot. But what if the Tim's was actually not one of the two buildings? Should I make that assumption, especially if the photos are up to three years old? If I move it away from the indicated point at the intersection down Brant St, does that affect the chances of missing the Tim's if one's travelling on N Service Rd?...etc...and so I decided to rely on the street address placements produced wherever I didn't have additional knowledge.

There were some exceptions to this where I found Google Earth's photos suggested a more accurate placement was in order, such as with large mall properties and with highway travel plazas which have addresses that didn't correspond to their actual locations.

Having said all that (in a long-winded way!), thanks for the more precise coordinate. I'll adjust it in the next update. I just wanted to explain that they are street addresses that were geocoded, not buildings or drive-ways; in cases where those things are not exactly the same place, they're at least likely to be in the same vicinity. But greater precision is always appreciated when available.
Go to Top of Page

BobM

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2006 :  00:22:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting reply. Made me think more about the coords I gave you - which were merely obtained from Mapsource by knowing where Tim's is - and I plugged them into Google Maps and they show up as being on the wrong side on Brant, and not quite where they were meant - i.e. the driveway into Tim's parking lot. Net result - don't bother changing your numbers

Thanks for all your effort with this.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2006 :  00:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That was a very interesting reply, indeed. It illustrates to what depth Dewy went to assure accuracy!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

msjfb

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2006 :  04:43:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new Tim Horton location just opened Yesterday...

1225 Aut. Duplessis
L'Ancienne Lorette, Qc G2G 2B4
N46.78720
W71.35150

Coordinates read off my GPS whille sitting in the parking lot...

Thanks for the great work on this.

Frank
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2006 :  06:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Frank.

I've uploaded the new files as follows:

Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20061213.zip

Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20061213.zip
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2006 :  11:37:32  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Page 1 updated! Tnx!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 03 févr. 2007 :  03:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the file reads great and I used poiedit to create a TimHortons.ov2 file, then copied to my TOMTOM Navigator on a Treo 700wx.

However the tomtom can not find it.

Help
Go to Top of Page

darthemma

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  03:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Tim Horton's location that wasn't in the last time I downloaded this POI.
It's on West William's Street (US 36) in Delaware, Ohio

Garmin StreetPilot 7200
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  14:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
darthemma,

The following entry is in the original and subsequent files:

40.298877, -83.071493, Tim Hortons, 89 W Williams St, Delaware, OH, 43015, US, (740) 362-3203

It seems very close to your coordinates. I've updated the file with your coordinates since they're more accurate (i.e. from first-hand spotting), but I'm wondering why you don't have the original entry.

Regards,

Dewi

Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070322.zip

Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20070322.zip

(Mods, please update links on Page 1)
Go to Top of Page

darthemma

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2007 :  14:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dewi:
I went back and looked and the original entry is there, it's just a couple of blocks away from the actual coordinates I gave you, so it didn't sound the alarm in my StreetPilot when I drove by. Thanks!

Garmin StreetPilot 7200
Garmin GPSmap 60CSx

Edited by - darthemma on 22 mars 2007 14:48:32
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2007 :  09:12:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Links in page 1 have been updated. Thanks!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

tc80

11 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2007 :  15:17:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cano not open the CSV in Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070322.zip in POIEDIT V5.1.0 Build 210. Getting these errors regardless of which format I select for a converter...

3 to 4 values expected on line 1
3 to 3 values expected on line 1
etc....

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

tc80

11 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2007 :  15:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cannot open the CSV in Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070322.zip in POIEDIT V5.1.0 Build 210. Getting these errors regardless of which format I select for a converter...

3 to 4 values expected on line 1
3 to 3 values expected on line 1
etc....

Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

coffenk

2 Posts

Posted - 08 avr. 2007 :  18:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good day:
I'm new to the GPS world and this forum and am looking for a little help please. I have a Garmin I3 and loaded in the Tim Horton's file using "POI Loader". Thanks for the great work on this. All the locations appear to be there and I can set anyone as a destination but I thought that I could set it so it would alert me if I was close to any of the locations. Isn't there something called "proximity alert" ? I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2007 :  04:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When using POI Loader, choose manual instead of automatic loading. When it finds the appropriate file (eg. "TimHortons.csv"), indicate your preference for a proximity alert distance (e.g. 250 metres) in the given field.
Go to Top of Page

coffenk

2 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2007 :  13:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dewi. That did the trick. Much appreciated !
Go to Top of Page

petlaur

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2007 :  20:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After successfully downloading the Tim Horton's POIs onto my 660 and testing it out(everything did work), I next downloaded the Canadian speedtraps and Redlight camera POIs file to my 660 and tested that(that worked as well). What did happen was the speedtraps and cameras alerts would work but I was now not getting alerts to Tim Horton's anywhere!!! It's like downloading one file would "kick out" the other one. I've tried redownloading the files in reverse order and it is still doing the same thing. I am using the current version of Garmin's POI loader. Has anybody else encountered this problem? Any thoughts on a solution would be appreciated. Thanks

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2007 :  21:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the POI csv or gpx files (e.g. Tim Horton's, RL cams, etc.) have to be loaded at the same time, since POI Loader overwrites the previously loaded files. Just put all your POI data and icon files in the same folder and reload them using POI Loader. Using the manual option you can specify which POIs you want to have alerts for (or not).
Go to Top of Page

petlaur

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 12 avr. 2007 :  21:34:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dewi,

Thank you very much!!! How can you tell I'm a newbie? I will try it that way.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2007 :  15:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been marking off Tim Hortons in my travels for the last few years across Canada. Marked locations, ON to BC. I have for now a few suggested changes.

The Tim Hortons listed in Edson,AB @ 4209 3 Ave (780) 723-7244, should be at 53.5879, -116.4139. On some maps you'll see a little tail of 3 ave just below that location.

The Elliot Lake,ON (705) 848-5220 location should be a couple of kms up the road at 46.384547, 82.644303.

The Guelph,ON location (519) 822-4748 listed as RR3, is really down the road in Puslinch at 43.458106, -80.131492 and from this pdf, the address is 1 Nicholas Beaver Rd/Brock Rd.

New Liskeard,ON @ 883307 Highway 65 E (705) 647-8288 is really around 47.523061, -79.6737 just north of what is called Timiskaming Square.

Cap-Pele, NB doesn't seem to be listed. It's in the full list from Tims but doesn't show up when searched for.
It's located at 46.217506, W64.300778
Address : 2414 Acadie Cap-Pele NB E0A1J0 CA (506)577-4919

This a just a few that I noticed that could use updating and that even Tim Hortons website doesn't display them correctly.
And thanks for creating the Poi listing, I guess this means I don't need to visit every TH now. ;)

Edited by - bootprint on 29 avr. 2007 15:56:45
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2007 :  19:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the corrections bootprint. I've uploaded them as follows:

TimHortons.csv

TimHortons.xls

Marvin, please update page 1.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2007 :  23:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Done! Tnx!

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 06 mai 2007 :  05:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a few more suggested changes.

Elliot Lake (705) 461-3448 should be at 46.38456, -82.65 and you might want to list it as Tim Hortons(Algo Centre Mall) as listed here.

The location listed as Hwy 69, RR 3, Nobel, ON, P2A3A9, CA,(705) 342-1854 seems to be missing. it's at 45.40234, -80.07. And as listed Here, the address is 35 Nobel Road, ON, P0G1G0, (705) 342-1854

The location listed as 133-1 West Mall (416) 622-4899 should be 133 The West Mall and located at 43.6197, -79.56.

There is a 80 CR-7 Alma ON N0B1S0 (519) 845-9078 listed, but should be located south of Elora at 43.675, 80.43 and have an address of 80 Wellington County Rd 7, Elora, ON, N0B1S0,CA,(51) 846-9078

A POI is listed as Erin Mills Pkwy (905) 813-4166 and being in the Credit Valley Hsptl, should be around 43.5591, -79.7 and have an address of 2200 Eglinton Avenue W.

The Medicine Hat TH @ (403) 528-9797, should be moved up the road to 50.0027, -110.64

In Calgary the Timmies (403) 503-0673, should have an address of 2681 Sunridge Way NE and located at 51.0732, -114.

Could change the Chilliwack (604) 703-2023 to Tim Hortons(Chiliwack General Hsptl)

Changes in Grand Falls, NB. The 452 ch Madawaska, (506)473-1225 is at 47.0537, -67.74.
and an addition is at 47.0584, 67.75 in the Grand Falls Shopping Mall at 180 Ch Madawaska, Grand Falls, NB, E3Y1A7, (506)473-6374.

Edited by - bootprint on 06 mai 2007 05:30:51
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2007 :  03:16:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi bootprint. Could you please double-check a few as they seem to be off when I key them into Google Earth, etc.?

1. (705) 342-1854: Multimap.com shows that HWY 69 is called Nobel Rd in that stretch, but those coordinates place it on a road running off HWY 69 a bit.
2. (519) 846-9078: Those coordinates place it south of Elora, but it appears that it's in the middle of a farm field.
3. (403) 528-9797: These coordinates look like it's in a residential area, just off Ross Glen Dr SE.
4. (506) 473-1225: This location is off the road network on the map (it's near a river)

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2007 :  05:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops, sorry about that. I loaded my listings into Google earth along with the POI list to do the comparison. The problem is GE uses DD MM SS.SS, and I have to converting them into DD.DDDD which is where errors came in.

1. 45.40234, -80.0652
2. 43.675, -80.4265
3. 50.0027, -110.64494
4. 47.0537, -67.74377 is the shopping mall (506)473-6374
4a. 47.0584, -67.7516 for (506)473-1225

Looks like I saw made a mistake with the West Mall one,(416) 622-4899 is at 43.6197, -79.5622.
You probably saw the error for the Credit valley Hsplt one, which should be around 43.5591, -79.7038.

Again sorry about that, looks like it was the longitudes that were off.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 07 mai 2007 :  15:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, great. I've made the changes to the file, but before uploading it, did the other locations' coordinates also have conversion errors that I might not have noticed?
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2007 :  02:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I double checked and the rest were fine.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2007 :  03:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uploaded...

Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20070507.zip

Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070507.zip

Marvin, please update page 1.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2007 :  12:29:30  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just updated the page #1 (while drinking my morning Tim Hortons coffee :)

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1157 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2007 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I drove by the Tim's at 43.784025,-79.416459, 5795 Yonge St, North York, ON M2M4J3 CA(416) 222-5766. It is being demolished.

Thanks,

HPatlik

Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 13 mai 2007 :  19:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ON
Oakville (905) 339-3538 43.4551, -79.6877 inside Home Depot
Coming soon: Wiarton
NB
Hartland (506) 375-6658 46.30533, -67.53027
NS
Digby (902) 245-4751 44.616, -65.76428
Digby (905) 245-3734 44.6, -65.77054 area code should be 902
Yarmouth (902) 742-0111 43.84458, -66.11813
Yarmouth (902) 742-0951 43.84384, -66.10677
Howie Centre (902) 539-5477 46.07089, -60.27693
Oxford (902) 447-3338 45.72468, -63.87949
Havre Boucher (902) 747-2400 45.65369, -61.445
Kingston (902) 765-0290 44.99143, -64.9398
Berwick (902) 538-1104 45.043337, -64.7352
Upper Tantallon (902) 826-2115 44.70473, -63.85718
Barrington Passage (902) 637-2043 43.52086, -65.61624
Westville (902) 396-4081 45.57621, -62.72592
Coldbrook (902) 679-4507 45.067856 -64.565539
Antigonish (902) 863-6212 45.62241, -61.98970
Antigonish (902) 863-6000 45.62515, -61.98342
Middleton (902) 825-2145 44.9415, -65.07103 Aerial pic in traffic study

Lunenburg (902) 543-6811 44.3928, -64.5296 Probably should be listed as bridgewater

Came across this site for Nova Scotia addresses but only displays maps.

Double checked that longitude/latitudes weren't off.
And thanks for including the updates.

John
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2007 :  04:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HPatlik: Thanks for the info.
John: Thanks for all the corrections.
Marvin: I've uploaded the new files here...
Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070513.zip
Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20070513.zip

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2007 :  13:54:40  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This list is now very likely more accurate than any other source (including Tim Hortons own website).

:-)

Page #1 has been updated.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

rkllkr

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2007 :  02:25:46  Show Profile  Visit rkllkr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two more though without All the details

Tim Horton's - Monkland, Ontario
N 45.19365 W074.88261

Tim Horton's - South Lancaster, Ontario
N 45.13280 W074.49408.

I use Simon Slavin's CSV to GPX program which "maps" out the points as it is reading the file. One point is sticking way out. I sorted the CSV file to check values.

Tim Horton's, 1-1120 Brant Street, Brantford
Appears as 79.82515 which is an East reading and N 43.34381. I loaded these values as coordinates and it puts the Tim's out in Kazakstan.

Please check and correct.

Love this collection and the efforts all put into it.

Cheers
Bob
Ottawa
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2007 :  04:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the Monkland isn't listed yet.
3456, Hwy #138
Monkland,ON K0C 1V0 CA
Tel: (613) 346-2833

The South Lancaster one is listed (613-347-9826), I guess lat/long need to be updated.

Noticed this morning on my way into work that the location at
43.643394, -79.391595 wasn't listed.
340 Front Street West
Toronto,ON M5V 3W7 CA
(416) 506-1972

And just a couple of other minor updates for good measure.
Owen Sound
44.562952, -80.964469 = (519) 376-9200
44.569462, -80.927203 = (519) 376-6070
44.574587, -80.916500 = (519) 371-8611

Something is funny about the (519) 372-2741 location at 1590 20th St E, I think I'll have to check it out this weekend when I'm up that way.

It's funny the how many locations have opened up in the last few years in downtown Toronto. Back in 2000 when I was working nights at king and bay, there were only 3 locations within 20 minutes driving time that were open all night.

John
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2007 :  05:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob & John. Here are the updates...

Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070514.zip
Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20070514.zip
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2007 :  12:42:22  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Page #1 has been updated.
Go to Top of Page

globber

1 Posts

Posted - 20 mai 2007 :  06:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone-awesome job on the Tim Hortons database.
I'm using the Mio C310 and was hoping someone can tell where to put the Tim Hortons icon bmp.I found the file "poi50x50.bmp" (in the gfx folder of data.zip), but it is just 1 file with all the poi bitmap icons in a long scroll of images. there is also a related file called "poi50x50.spr"
Thanks for any help.
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2007 :  22:34:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ON

Owen Sound (519) 372-2741 44.574275,-80.908545 in Home Depot
Owen Sound (519) 376-2121 44.567534,-80.912204
Blind River (705) 356-1579 46.184945,-82.953258
McKerrow (705) 862-7328 46.28628, -81.777

That Owen Sound 372-2741 location has a strange address, none of the mapping programs seem to place it anywhere close to where is actually is.
The coordinates for the McKerrow Tim's are mostly to confirm it's location. My coordinates just move it a little to the northwest side of Hwy 17 and 6N into the parking lot.

John
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2007 :  16:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good work John.

Updates are here:
Dewi_TimHortons_csv_20070531.zip
Dewi_TimHortons_xls_20070531.zip

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 31 mai 2007 :  16:53:46  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! Page #1 has been updated.

Marvin Hlavac
Go to Top of Page

petlaur

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 08 juin 2007 :  05:04:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I downloaded the csv file and unzipped it and uploaded the Tim Horton's locations to my nuvi. The locations seem to be there but the Tim Horton's icon does not show on my device. What am I doing wrong or is there a step that I've omitted? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2007 :  01:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
petlaur,

Did you download the TimHortons.bmp file from page 1 and put it in the same directory where you loaded the TimHortons.csv file with POI Loader? If so, double check that the file names (except for the extensions) are identical.
Go to Top of Page

petlaur

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2007 :  07:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dewi, excuse me for being a little slow. Are you referring to the icon bmp on pg 1 or Scott Anderson's Tim Horton's icon to be downloaded?
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2007 :  20:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can use either Scott's from Page 1 of the POI Collection Index or Marvin's from Page 1 of this thread, but I believe you need to convert Marvin's from 32x32 pixels to 16x16 pixels for use with Garmins. You could even use Windows Paint or something similar to create your own 16x16 bitmap icon. Either way, just make sure to change the bmp file name to match your csv file name and put them into the same folder for loading.
Go to Top of Page

petlaur

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 09 juin 2007 :  21:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much Dewi! I'll try it.
Go to Top of Page

bootprint

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 04 août 2007 :  18:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wiarton, ON Tim Hortons is finally open at 44.7396, -81.1404. News article
Still trying to find the address and phone number, but it's built on the old public school location at 445 Berford.

John
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,88 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05