Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2167

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 Traffic Information (TMC)
 TMC Coming to Canada
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 61

techguy99

23 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2009 :  00:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems next week TTN will have an update from Tomtom for an update or work around about that software problem with tomtom rds receivers.
P5ku: So you have a subscription for the trafic service. How do you register to it? Through the GPS? or tomtom website? Because believe it or not tomtom support were not able to tell me how to register to trafic service... :|
Go to Top of Page

p5ku

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2009 :  04:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the serial (non-USB one) antenna last April/May, I simply connected it to the GPS and it worked right away. Not sure what happens when it expires, as I haven't had it for a year yet. The antennae come with a year's subscription automatically.

Hmm, interesting news about the software update. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Go to Top of Page

trafficinfo

137 Posts

Posted - 13 mars 2009 :  23:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As per the Tomtom USA Forum it all started to happen with the last v8 firmware. It only affects Canada and some type of units. you can read more here http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/14362-xl-330-traffic.html. therefore wait for the next firmware update to fix it.

Anything new with TTN here in the GTA or is it still the same service?. I no longer subscribe to traffic services that is why I ask. 680 News and Gantry Signs cut if for me so far.

Toronto. SP C550.
Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1152 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2009 :  04:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have started listing in the last couple of months local road information (closed roads, lane restrictions, signal lights not working, flooding, accidents). So it has improved from the original highways only format but no traffic flow on local roads but maybe its getting there slowly (do they provide local traffic flows in the US?). It is still not 24/7.

HPatlik
Go to Top of Page

LawnGuyLander

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2009 :  13:31:25  Show Profile  Visit LawnGuyLander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hpatlik

(do they provide local traffic flows in the US?). It is still not 24/7.

TTN provides 24-hour service here in the New York City area. It only applies to major highways, which are the only roads that have sensors. Incident information is available on all highways. If you can see traffic flow information for a specific road in MSN or Google Maps then TTN is providing it as well.
Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1152 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2009 :  16:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the MSN traffic reports different from TTN? I am think about getting the MSN receiver but I am not convinced it provides any better data than TTN in Toronto, Ontario.

HPatlik
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2009 :  21:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prior to the start of December 2008, the answer was "no" -- MSN Direct traffic wasn't any better than TTN in Toronto. MSN did have the same incident information as TTN, but flow information was limited to the RTIS speed sensor data which only covers the DVP and Gardiner/Lakeshore routes.

However, during the first week of December MSN Direct started providing "full" flow information in the Toronto market, which made it substantially better. Coverage includes virtually all major highways and major arterial routes in Southern Ontario. If you go to http://maps.live.com, zoom to Toronto and click the Traffic tab, you will see the same flow coverage that MSN Direct is providing Garmin users.

Inexplicably though -- as of last Thursday afternoon -- flow coverage has switched back to the limited RTIS routes!

I've contacted MSN Direct Support and they had no explanation for the change and suggested that the problem might "resolve itself". If it doesn't (and I doubt it will), I will be calling Garmin next week to try to resolve it with them. I'll let you know what happens. EDIT: MSN Direct traffic flow data in Toronto has been restored to "full"

P.S. Here's why I think MSN is better than TTN in Toronto (only if/when it's providing full flow info):
1. Better flow coverage (more roads, with smaller road segment divisions)
2. Better signal coverage (Q107/CHFI vs CHIN/CIRV)
3. Traffic flow data is received/refreshed more quickly (every 30 secs vs every ~5-15 minutes)
4. Service is 24/7 (vs TTN's M-F 6am-7pm)
5. More cities covered in North America
6. MSN provides additional non-traffic data (weather forecasts, movie times, US gas prices, etc.)

Edited by - Dewi on 20 mars 2009 15:32:57
Go to Top of Page

LawnGuyLander

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2009 :  21:18:27  Show Profile  Visit LawnGuyLander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One area where I believe the MSN technology is superior is that all covered routes are highlighted. If traffic is moving well you will see a green highlight. RDS technology only supports displaying routes if there is congestion. If you do not see any highlight then one of two things is possible: 1) traffic information has not yet been received by the receiver for the highway in question or 2) there is no congestion.
Go to Top of Page

Mister E

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2009 :  03:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTN (as of recently) has started to provide traffic info on the major local roads in Toronto as well. I've seen accident info, water main breakages, traffic light issues, construction, and even a fallen tree reported on the local roads.

It's good to have competition - forces each party to constantly improve their service.
Go to Top of Page

Dewi

623 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2009 :  14:24:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TTN has always provided incident info for major roads. This is not new. If you go back in this thread to the end of 2007 you will see several surface-route incidents reported. One of the first incidents I received in 2007 via TTN was at the intersection of two major roads near my house, due to a broken water main.
Go to Top of Page

LawnGuyLander

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2009 :  15:00:52  Show Profile  Visit LawnGuyLander's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dewi

TTN has always provided incident info for major roads. This is not new.

This past summer, while I was visiting family in Mississauga, there was an incident on the 407 that remained for several days even though the incident itself was long gone. There are several postings about it several pages back in this thread. Someone finally contacted them about it and they removed it.
Go to Top of Page

hpatlik

1152 Posts

Posted - 24 mars 2009 :  00:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a MSN recevier for my Nuvi 760 and I am impressed with the local traffic coverage and detail in Toronto compared to TTN.

Does anyone know if MSN has plans to extend gas prices and local events to Canada?

HPatlik

Edited by - hpatlik on 25 mars 2009 00:27:36
Go to Top of Page

marginal

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2009 :  16:21:24  Show Profile  Visit marginal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ajjefferson

Edr, here's a picture of the adapter I made:

http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt266/hajidirobertis/?action=view¤t=nvaigontmcadapterforcarradioantenna.jpg

I used the following components:
1. Short Car Radio Antenna Extension (one side male and one side female)
2. Small video splitter
[/b][/i]3. Male-male or male-pigtail 4 cond. 3.5mm with enough wire to go from behind your radio to your GPS.[/i][/b]
4. 2 coax connectors.
5. 1. Coax end cut from an old cable tv cable. About 3" or 4" to splice on the 3.5mm tail.

A- Cut Car Radio Antenna Extension in half and place one coax connector on each cut end.
B- Cut of one end of the 3.5mm M-M or just use M-Pigtail,
C- Identify the wire on the cut end of the 3.5mm M-M wire what is closest to the sleeve at the base of the 3.5mm plug (call this sleeve 3). Use a continuity tester for this.
D- Solder the wire which you have identified as being sleeve 3 to the hard wire from the old cable TV wire. Do not connect the ground if you still want to use the speaker on the Navigon unit.
E- Connect 3.5mm cable to Output 1 on the video splitter. Connect modified wire with the Male Car radio Antenna extension to Output 2. Connect modified wite with the Female Car radio Antenna extension to INPUT.
F- get access to back of car radio. Unplug Antenna from back of Radio and plug into splitter. Plug male from splitter into Car Radio where antenna plug was. Run 3.5mm plug wire through dash to where Navigon unit will be (allow for slack). Put dash back together. Now you should be sharing Car antenna with Radio and Navigon TMC receiver.

**AUDIO MOD** Note that if your radio has an audio input (mini plug or RCA plug). The following step should be done with step D above:
- Using continuity tester identify wire on the 3.5mm plug that is TIP, sleeve 1 and sleeve 2 (you are already using sleeve 3 for the TMC antenna).
- Connect Sleeve 2 ground to the shield on the old cable tv wire. This will tell the Navigon to turn off the internal speaker.
- create audio plug(s): TIP audio R, Sleeve 1 Audio L, Sleeve 2 Ground. If you use 2 RCA plugs then you will use the common ground.

Seems long but the picture explains most of it.

Cheers,
AJ

Hello ajjefferson.

Thank you for the helpful posting.
I have a question though.
My GPS is the Navigon 7100 and I don't really see how you can plug the: "Male 4 cond. 3.5mm jack" into the Navigon 7100, as it has a MMCX Antenna connector?
Please clarify.

Regards.

"Est Modus in Rebus"
Go to Top of Page

ajjefferson

Canada
44 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2009 :  17:14:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning, I am not refering to the MCX on the back of the unit. I am refering to the "headphone" plug on the bottom left side that the Traffic antenna plugs into. BTW there is an aftermarket splitter you can purchase for around $20 that is made to connect multiple devices to the same car antenna. Haven't had a chance to look for it yet. Probably better at splitting the signal since my splitter screws up AM reception.

Cheers,
AJ

quote:
Originally posted by marginal

[quote]Originally posted by ajjefferson

Hello ajjefferson.

Thank you for the helpful posting.
I have a question though.
My GPS is the Navigon 7100 and I don't really see how you can plug the: "Male 4 cond. 3.5mm jack" into the Navigon 7100, as it has a MMCX Antenna connector?
Please clarify.

Regards.

Go to Top of Page

marginal

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 20 avr. 2009 :  19:24:01  Show Profile  Visit marginal's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the helpful info.
Have a nice day :-).

"Est Modus in Rebus"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 61 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05