Erreur dans la requête SQL

Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1932

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 GUPDATE.GCD
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sdevan45

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  02:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And now, for my second post... (I'll stop counting after this )

After I followed danhams procedures, I noticed that in the downloaded Garmin directory there is a file called GUPDATE.GCD that was not in the files that I backed up from the Nuvi (I backed up all files.)

I then took the update files and moved them into my Nuvi backup folder, overwriting the same (but older) files already in my Garmin backup folder on my Mac. Do I need the GUPDATE.GCD file or can I trash it.

Thanks,
Steve

Ads

sdevan45

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  03:04:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have answered my own question. I checked the files on the Nuvi, and the GUPDATE file was not copied over. Looks like it is not needed. I'll keep one around just in case.
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  10:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't throw it away. I mean leave it there. Because it permits reinstallation of your latest firmware without the computer. This by pushing long-long time your on/off button until you see appear software loading.

Nuvi 300 GTM11- Nuvi 660T
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  14:17:45  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My memory may be faulty on this, but I also seem to recall that lack of this file can be a factor when a nuvi keeps trying to reload the firmware, in error.

IOW, erasing this file won't cause that problem, per se, but might make it worse if another fault causes it.

Anyone else recall this discussion?

Also, there is no pressing need to erase stuff from main storage. I always caution against using main storage for lots of constantly-changing files like MP3s or pictures anyway -- corrupt your directory and the game is over (unless you have a good backup and a few hours to kill).

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '10 Jetta TDI Diesel SportWagen & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

sdevan45

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  15:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rereading my original post, I can see how it caused some confusion, so let me try to clear it up to see if I can get the answer I'm looking for.

Here is the current status:
1. I backed up all files on my Nuvi to my computer's hard drive in a directory called Nuvi backup.
2. I downloaded the Garmin update for 3.8
3. I copied the Garmin files to my sdcard and rebooted the Nuvi as per danham and all was well in the kingdom, the upgrade worked.
4. I then moved the files in the Garmin 3.8 directory ON MY COMPUTER to the original Nuvi backup directory ON MY COMPUTER. In doing so, I overwrote the files in the Nuvi backup directory (In retrospect, a dumb thing to do, but its done.)
5. The GUPDATE file was not in the original Nuvi backup directory on my computer. I checked the directories on the Nuvi itself and did not see it there either. That was what prompted my question as to whether I needed it or not since the ONLY place it is found is in the Garmin 3.8 update folder.
6. I'm keeping it around since there is no reason to delete it. I'm guessing that the GUPDATE file MAY be used to manage the update process itself and is therefore not copied to the Nuvi.

I hope this clarifies the issue. Is my guess correct?????

Thanks,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  15:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes more or less. If you upgrade your in executing the (for ex.) 350-380.exe file from your computer you will find the gupdate.gcd in your Nuvi internal. For me it's better to have it there see my message higher up.

Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  16:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

Also, there is no pressing need to erase stuff from main storage. I always caution against using main storage for lots of constantly-changing files like MP3s or pictures anyway -- corrupt your directory and the game is over (unless you have a good backup and a few hours to kill).

-dan

You know Dan, some people in another thread had to format their internal disk because of corrupted directory. I did that too. And the Nuvi started normally, completely formatted, without any file on it !!! I have my maps on SD.
But don't try this

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  16:09:18  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting. By "started normally," do you mean it booted OK and displayed the basemap only? No map? All maps? Is there a ghost in the machine [g]?

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

sdevan45

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  16:53:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cfw

Yes more or less. If you upgrade your in executing the (for ex.) 350-380.exe file from your computer you will find the gupdate.gcd in your Nuvi internal. For me it's better to have it there see my message higher up.

Yes, thanks. I understood your earlier post and that is a very neat idea. Didn't know the Nuvi could do that.
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  17:40:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

Interesting. By "started normally," do you mean it booted OK and displayed the basemap only? No map? All maps? Is there a ghost in the machine [g]?

-dan

I think there is a visible part and a unvisible part. The USB-disk you can see (and format)and write MP3 and JPEGS, and a flash memory part you cannot write on, or only by upgrading and use of RGN files. I have Europe City Navigator NT on SD, without map it stops and says it needs a map.(This when Nuvi internal is empty after formatting)

Go to Top of Page

FreeBird

Austria
49 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  18:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GUPDATE.GCD file is the file used to update the firmware. Before the release of 3.60 (Nüvi 300/350) this file was automatically deleted after the firmware upgrade procedure. Since Rel. 3.60 this file will be kept on the Nüvi (That is probably what Garmin means with "Changed to make update procedure consistent with other GARMIN products" from the changelog).

It does not matter much if you back this file up or not. It will be changed anyway as soon as you update to a new firmware and it is not used for normal operation of the Nüvi.

FreeBird

------------
Nuvi 2597 / SW 3.80
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7425 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  19:30:59  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For those new to this forum, without FreeBird's pioneering work, none of us would be able to fix failed upgrades, update using a Mac or generally be able to function as informed nuvi-ers [grin].

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

FreeBird

Austria
49 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  19:51:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

------------
Nuvi 2597 / SW 3.80
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05