Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2265

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Anyone found a nice editor for the nuvi .GPX file?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2006 :  17:54:22  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I should clarify; my "bare bones" install of Mapsource, is not without a map. I still get what I think everyone refers to as "the basemap" and my waypoints are displayed in the proper position on the basemap. What's missing is the street level detail and information, POI information and so forth that you get with the full DVD install.

nüvi 350 | Serial Number starts with 2
Software Vers. 4.10 | GPS SW Vers. 2.80
MapSource City Navigator North America NT v8
MP3 files on RiDATA RiTEK Pro 4GB 150x SD card
Brodit Proclip vent mount | Proclip nüvi ball adapter
nüvi audio interface via PIE TOY-AUX auxiliary input adapter to OEM Toyota Camry CD changer port
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2006 :  18:02:02  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Same here. It displays a very crude basemap and as soon as I ask for additional detail it pops up and asks for my Roads & Trips or Topo CD, as appropriate -- note that I have not yet gotten my City Nav v8 DVD (fingers crossed near the mailbox today).

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 19 sept. 2006 18:02:39
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2006 :  18:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you both. Light has dawned upon me!
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2006 :  19:23:20  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

Same here. It displays a very crude basemap and as soon as I ask for additional detail it pops up and asks for my Roads & Trips or Topo CD, as appropriate -- note that I have not yet gotten my City Nav v8 DVD (fingers crossed near the mailbox today).

-dan

I'm supposed to get mine pretty soon too. Did they require you to register your nüvi before they agreed to send it?

nüvi audio interface via PIE TOY-AUX auxiliary input adapter to OEM Toyota Camry CD changer port

Edited by - bruceb123 on 19 sept. 2006 19:24:44
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 19 sept. 2006 :  19:29:27  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had already registered as part of the return/repair process back in April, so I'm not a good test case for that.

When I go to unlock it will be interesting to see if it grants me a freebie -- my registration is (IIRC) one day after the release date for v8, which should be in the freebie zone.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

E39-NUVI

29 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  01:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just received my v8 DVD and installed it without problems.
Now it's time to play with it

nüvi-350
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  03:25:37  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd be interested if you encounter the same nüvi GPX incompatibility problem I am experiencing with the current version of Mapsource, which I downloaded from the Garmin website today. The carriage returns that the nüvi uses to start a new address line and start the phone number line are not compatible with Mapsource (see photo)

Those little squares are the carriage returns. Mapsource cannot create them but it can easily delete them.

Has anybody found a workaround, besides using a different editor?

Go to Top of Page

E39-NUVI

29 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  04:17:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The MapSource version is the same one that they have on the web page, 6.11.3, so the behaviour is the same.
Some one discovered that you can cut the "square" from an existing waypoint/po1 and paste it into your new waypoints

nüvi-350
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  04:48:54  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote

OK, same version, same problem. Yes, the little squares can be copied and pasted but this is clearly an incompatibility issue until the software gets fixed, hopefully through an update release. Anyway, thanks for checking this on your setup.

Edited by - bruceb123 on 20 sept. 2006 05:40:21
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  05:49:08  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Thanks for the tip, google found it and it has its own page http://www.geocities.com/ugoltsev/XmlWin/index.html ;-)

Added this topic to the FAQ.

OK guys - I found an XML editor even nicer than this one and it's freeware. It provides both the markup view (like XmlEditor) and a table view for sorting on a column (like Mapsource). Unlike Mapsource and EasyGPS, it doesn't add any non-nüvi extensions so I can edit my GPX file directly on the nüvi with it

http://symbolclick.com/

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  14:30:18  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce:

One caution note: editing your gpx file "live" on your nuvi is probably OK, but also risky. Having the file open for writing over a USB connection means that if anything interrupts the connection, at best the file gets garbled (no huge deal) but at worst means the nuvi directory itself gets hosed.

Those interruptions can be the computer going into sleep mode, the power failing, a power surge, the editor program doing a background save or crashing, etc. A hosed directory means a trip back to Garmin if you have no backup, or at least an hour of file transfer if you do, after re-formatting.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7733 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  16:15:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And in general its not a very good idea to be editting your source file at the best of times. Making a copy and playing with it is just as fast and a lot safer.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  16:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce

If my my observations have been correct, Nuvi edits and rewrites the .gpx with each bootup. It removes extensions from each POI, which are all the same anyway, and uses one set of extensions placed at the beginning of the file. That's mostly why often the file you edit externally and then write to the Nuvi may be 3 times larger than the file you find on the Nuvi after you shut down and reboot it.

BTW, the square character in MapSource is a LF 0A. Cutting and pasting it where wanted, as posted previously in another thread by cfw, works very well for a quick and easy job when you are working in MS.

Thanks for the new link. Will be grabbing that today and giving it a run.

rapp
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  16:59:10  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danham

Bruce:

One caution note: editing your gpx file "live" on your nuvi is probably OK, but also risky. Having the file open for writing over a USB connection means that if anything interrupts the connection, at best the file gets garbled (no huge deal) but at worst means the nuvi directory itself gets hosed.

Those interruptions can be the computer going into sleep mode, the power failing, a power surge, the editor program doing a background save or crashing, etc. A hosed directory means a trip back to Garmin if you have no backup, or at least an hour of file transfer if you do, after re-formatting.

-dan

Yes I agree with you. In an early post I mentioned that I keep backups and that Garmin would probably cringe if they heard about this approach although it's working great for me. Certainly I would not recommend anyone doing it this way unless they keep backups and are mindful of the potential problems, should things go wrong, versus the convenience when things go right. I also recommend all nüvi users back up their entire Garmin folder and keep regular backups of their current.gpx file, regardless if or how they are making modifications to their waypoints.

Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 20 sept. 2006 :  17:14:08  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GPSrapp

Bruce

If my my observations have been correct, Nuvi edits and rewrites the .gpx with each bootup. It removes extensions from each POI, which are all the same anyway, and uses one set of extensions placed at the beginning of the file. That's mostly why often the file you edit externally and then write to the Nuvi may be 3 times larger than the file you find on the Nuvi after you shut down and reboot it.

BTW, the square character in MapSource is a LF 0A. Cutting and pasting it where wanted, as posted previously in another thread by cfw, works very well for a quick and easy job when you are working in MS.

Thanks for the new link. Will be grabbing that today and giving it a run.

rapp

Good point rapp! I think we traded comments about that in an earlier post; that it seems the nüvi ignores anything it doesn't like and I think you pointed out that it also alphabetizes the waypoints if they are not in order. I found the post and the last thought was that "it needed further experimentation."

Here's my question: Is your nüvi "cleaning up and alphebetizing" when you directly edit the current.gpx file in the \Garmin\gpx folder or is it just when you drop an externally edited file in the Waypoints folder and the nüvi "imports" it?

And I'd be curious what you think of that new editor.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,84 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05