Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2266

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Anyone found a nice editor for the nuvi .GPX file?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2006 :  17:38:10  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update by GpsPasSion : best tool so far is XML Marker, details >> here <<

Has anyone found a clean, simple editor for the nuvi GPX file? I've been using a text editor on this XML file (http://www.geocities.com/ugoltsev/XmlWin/index.html) and that works OK but I'd really like to get all my waypoints into a table and be able to sort on a field, do multiple selects and edits and so forth, similar to the MapSource editor but without the enormous footprint of the MapSource "environment." I've tried EasyGPS but when saving the file it adds garbage (useless extensions) and appends two digits to the latitude and longitude of each waypoint. I also tried GPSBabel to go from GPX to CSV (and use Excel to edit the CSV) but GPSBabel discards the line feed character that the nuvi uses for it's orderly display of addresses and phone numbers. With the popularity of the nuvi, it seems SOMEBODY by now would have developed a simple, clean, dedicated nuvi GPX editor. By the way, I've had this 350 for 2 weeks now. I love it, and so far it's been flawless in all temperatures, power modes and on-off procedures.

nüvi 350 | Serial Number starts with 2
Software Vers. 4.10 | GPS SW Vers. 2.80
MapSource City Navigator North America NT v8
MP3 files on RiDATA RiTEK Pro 4GB 150x SD card
Brodit Proclip vent mount | Proclip nüvi ball adapter
nüvi audio interface via PIE TOY-AUX auxiliary input adapter to OEM Toyota Camry CD changer port

Edited by - bruceb123 on 07 sept. 2006 03:01:08

Ads

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2006 :  21:54:56  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
+1 - Probably a matter of time ;-)

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

maidensblush

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2006 :  16:14:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I am just a noob but...

POIedit is what I used myself which can be found via the garmin site. Afterwhich I converted the file to a garmin csv format, then used the tool below to add all sorts of alerts and what not.

Props goes to blueyonder for creating a great converter!!!

http://www.cbrom.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Ciao!

Maidensblush.

Maidensblush.

Nuvi 755T

Edited by - maidensblush on 28 août 2006 16:23:34
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2006 :  16:46:08  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I tried POIEdit with my GPX file and it stripped out the cmt tags and all the text between them (typically the address and phone number) and removed the sym tags and the text between them (the icon associated with that waypoint) so all I was left with, after editing my waypoints, was waypoint names and coordinates. The nuvi GPX waypoint file has lat/lon in decimal degrees, name, cmt (comment), and sym (symbol) so I am seeking an editor that fully supports all four of these fields without adding any non-nuvi extensions, such as EasyGPS and others.

nüvi audio interface via PIE TOY-AUX auxiliary input adapter to OEM Toyota Camry CD changer port

Edited by - bruceb123 on 14 sept. 2006 08:22:55
Go to Top of Page

z.entropic

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  18:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those in the know, vi is a great text editor for xml files.

z.entropic
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  18:43:42  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but as I mentioned in the original post, I'm looking for a row and column presentation of the data that supports sorts and multi-editing. For editing XML documents, XmlEditor meets my needs and it's free.

Go to Top of Page

AndreTheGeek

Canada
174 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  16:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Microsoft is giving out a nice editor - XML Notepad 2006.
It can be had here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=72d6aa49-787d-4118-ba5f-4f30fe913628&DisplayLang=en

Nuvi 350 - BMW 335i (and no good mounting solution)
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  17:10:57  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, that is a very nice XML editor, especially for the price!

So far, my favorite (for the nüvi) is XmlEditor Version 1.41 by Pavel Ugoltsev. It's freeware (I think I found it on Softpedia). It's only 500KB and it doesn't need the .NET Framework environment or require any installation, you just download the zip and it contains the ready to run executable. Another thing I like about it; if you load and then save the Garmin current.gpx file as another name, and do a binary or CRC compare on the two files, they match.

All the other XML editors I've tried, (including Microsoft XML Notepad) change the file structure when you save the file so you will definitely have problems if you edit and save the current.gpx file right on the nüvi.

To avoid any problems with the other editors I had to:

1) copy the current.gpx file to my PC
2) delete all my waypoints from the nüvi
3) edit the current.gpx copy
4) copy the edited current.gpx copy to the Garmin\waypoints folder
5) reboot the the nüvi so it could parse the file back to it's native GPX format again.

With XmlEditor I directly edit and save the GPX file on my nüvi, which is much more convenient. I also established a Windows file association for GPX and XmlEditor so I simply plug my nüvi into USB, click on the current.gpx file, edit and save. If I add a new waypoint I just make sure I maintain the same waypoint structure and alphabetical order that's in the native file.

I've had my nüvi for about three weeks now and so far haven't had any problems doing it this way, although I keep backup copies of my GPX files just in case.

No doubt Garmin Tech Support would cringe if they heard about this.

Edited by - bruceb123 on 04 sept. 2006 18:22:00
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  19:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bruce

Using that editor, are you able to delete an unwanted waypoint in the editor and not have to delete it directly on the Nuvi?

rapp
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  20:55:04  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's the behavior I've observed when the nüvi boots up after unplugging from the USB:

If waypoint name not changed, revisions show up in nüvi
If waypoint name changed, original and revised (both) show up in nüvi
If waypoint deleted, waypoint still shows up in nüvi

It seems the nüvi mirrors the waypoints, one set you can edit via the GPX file and one set you cannot edit except on the nüvi. It acts as though the GPX waypoints take priority on edits and appended waypoints and the mirrored waypoints take priority on existing waypoint name and deletions.

Short answer; no, but I have not found it inconvenient to delete on the nüvi.

Edited by - bruceb123 on 04 sept. 2006 23:54:48
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93993 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  21:22:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip, google found it and it has its own page http://www.geocities.com/ugoltsev/XmlWin/index.html ;-)

Added this topic to the FAQ.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  21:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I have observed same things.

And the deleted waypoint still shows up, and is written back into the visible .gpx file as well. Very strange, in a weird sort of way, to say the least!

I thought perhaps that editor used some coding to delete that was inherited by the underlying app, or something.

Have found if you try to duplicate a waypoint name, even if it has a different coord, it ignores it. Also, no matter where I put a new waypoint in the file, it alphabetizes it to proper position. Been using WordPad, which seems to work simply enough. But have not found that simple "data base" column/row format you have been looking for.

Anyway, if you delete the current.gpx file, when the Nuvi boots up again, it's right back there with all the waypoints. I think that except for the mapping software, all the rest of the "USB device" visible files are mirrored underneath in the bowels of the Nuvi. Intriguingly mysterious.

rapp

Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  00:07:08  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've observed identical behavior on mine. And yes, Wordpad seemed to work well for me also. The color presentation of the XML tags is the nice bonus with XmlEditor and has spoiled me. Thanks for the tip regarding the automatic alphabetical order! Hmmmm - that suggests the possibility that the nüvi parses the current.gpx file on each boot and then overwrites it again... which further suggests that no matter how much extraneous garbage is added into the file (thinking of EasyGPS) that the nüvi just says "who cares" and as long as it's acceptably close to the proper format it ignores the junk and then saves the good stuff in it's clean, simple, native nüvi format. Sounds worthy of experimentation...

Edited by - bruceb123 on 05 sept. 2006 00:19:34
Go to Top of Page

bruceb123

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  00:11:28  Show Profile  Visit bruceb123's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Thanks for the tip, google found it and it has its own page http://www.geocities.com/ugoltsev/XmlWin/index.html ;-)

Added this topic to the FAQ.

There you go. That's the one. Thanks for finding it!

Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  01:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion
http://www.geocities.com/ugoltsev/XmlWin/index.html ;-)

Nice find
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 14 sept. 2006 :  09:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GPSrapp

Anyway, if you delete the current.gpx file, when the Nuvi boots up again, it's right back there with all the waypoints.
Garmin have stated that this is a particular feature they have purposefully added to the units:

"an easy way to delete all of your Favorites would be to put the device in Mass-Storage Mode and delete the "current.gpx" file in the device's "gpx" folder. But, as a safety measure, Garmin has made sure that you do not accidentally delete all of your Favorites this way. The only way to delete your waypoints on the StreetPilot c5xx devices is to delete them one by one in the unit itself."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,95 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05