Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2297

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Deleted map data by mistake!
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

alight

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  22:20:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, as I was using the web updater to go to 3.8 on a nüvi 350 it hung at 53%. Several hours later I had to abort and then got the 'system software not found' message when I restarted. I found enough info in the forum (thanks to everybody for the wealth of infomation) to be able to reload the software - however along the way I made the silly mistake of deleting all the files on the device without backing them up first.
So now the system is reloaded but I have no maps. I contacted Garmin support who informed me that I should request the dealer who I bought the device from to supply the missing map files. I have contacted him several times but am not getting anywhere.
Can anyone help me by supplying the map data (European version) I need? I have the registration and unlock code. Since it's my wife's nüvi I am in a lot of trouble....... so any help will be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
Andy

Ads

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  22:35:34  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have a couple of options.

The best is to start again with Garmin. Ask them for the free copy of the maps which you are entitled to. Do not mention that you erased your nuvi; just tell them you want the maps in case of future problems and to use with MapSource (which comes on the DVD).

US customers have had pretty good luck getting DVDs this way; Europe has not fared as well.

Next, you could send your nuvi back to Garmin for "repair," noting that it will not read the maps from internal memory any more. They will likely exchange it for a refurb with the maps pre-loaded.

It is not practical for members of this forum to swap map files online -- they are huge and that opens up legal questions. Though you certainly sound like an honest, legit person trying to fix a mistake, we have unfortunately seen dishonest folks in here asking for copies of maps too, and it's hard to sort it all out from this side of the screen.

edit: I forgot to ask: did you delete the City Navigator v7 or 8 maps, or did you [gulp] erase the basemap too? What shows when you go to the Map Info screen? If you deleted the basemap, the unit has to go back to Garmin, I believe.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 24 août 2006 22:39:48
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  22:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even if he gets the DVD from Garmin, it won't do him any good as that DVD will ONLY build supplemental (i.e. "gmapsupp.img") map files and WON'T create a new set of pre-loaded internal maps (i.e. "gmapprom.img"). It could be as simple as renaming the "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img" and putting it on the nüvi's internal memory, but somehow I doubt it. He'd also still be missing the base map as well.

Also, as has been mentioned here in other threads, getting someone else's "gmapprom.img" won't do any good since the maps would be locked to the nüvi unit that they came from. When he placed them on his nüvi, it would simply tell him that the maps aren't unlocked (for his unit). There's no way to "unlock" the maps in the "gmapprom.img" file (even if he does have the unlock code for his unit) as they are already compiled (and hence locked to the unit they came from). Normally, the maps are unlocked by the main MapSource program as they are compiled into a resulting IMG file (i.e. "gmapsupp.img") as they are being transferred to the GPS unit.

In my opinion, his best bet is to get Garmin to send him an "update" DVD that will update the nüvi's pre-loaded internal maps (although, for the North American maps, we all know that this DVD won't even exist until the end of August, and for the European maps, I don't think one exists at all since an updated version of the maps isn't even out yet).

Other than that, send the unit back to Garmin and pay whatever they want to replace the maps on the unit!

Edited by - TheOfficeMaven on 24 août 2006 22:52:35
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7442 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  22:57:04  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK, I was assuming (always risky) that he did not delete everything, just the map files. As you can see from my edit, that idea began to crumble even before you replied [grin].

When I fried the directory on my nuvi, I reformatted and copied everything back and it worked with no unlock codes -- probably because the key files were still "mine."

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  23:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Nuvi has a standard FAT32 filesystem. Same as Windows 98. So, you could at least try using a standard file undeleter program. There are plenty of free ones out there; here's one:

http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/

You can easily find others; just google for "undelete" and "unerase".

What you'd want to to is undelete the files to your C: drive, and then copy them back to the Nuvi once they've been undeleted. Do NOT undelete the files to the Nuvi itself, if you can avoid it.

Sure, it might not work, but you'll be no worse off than you are now.
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  23:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea akahan!

I sure hope that using a undelete program works for you alight.
Go to Top of Page

alight

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  23:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I deleted everything. javascript:insertsmilie('')I am going to try the undelete suggestion from akahan - will let you know whether it does the trick.
andy
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  23:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't done any undeleting in quite a while, but my recollection is that when the undeleter finds the deleted files, it doesn't know what the first letter of each filename is supposed to be. So you need to fill those in. You might need to post to the group again with the list of deleted files that are missing their first letters, and get help filling in the first letter of each filename from people who have the files intact.
Go to Top of Page

alight

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2006 :  08:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I deleted everything. javascript:insertsmilie('')I am going to try the undelete suggestion from akahan - will let you know whether it does the trick.
andy
Go to Top of Page

alight

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2006 :  08:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I ran the undelete program which found a number of files and directories but no *.img files which I understand are the maps. The largest file found was ca. 16MB and was a voice. On the offchance that I missed something - which directory are the *.img files stored in? The directories I recovered were:
garmin, voice, waypoints, gpx, vehicle.
I suspect that, when I reloaded the system software onto the blank nüvi, it saved it in an area previously used to store the map infomation thus making recovery of this information impossible?
Andy
Go to Top of Page

akahan

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2006 :  08:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is probably exactly what happened, unfortunately. Reloading the system software probably deleted the reference to the directory that the map information was stored in. You MIGHT have better luck trying a variety of undelete programs, though.
Go to Top of Page

Stein-Rune

Norway
8 Posts

Posted - 25 août 2006 :  12:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi!

Download and try RecoverMyFiles

I have used this program and have succsessfully recovered files even after a full reformatting, change of filesystem from FAT32 to NTFS and reinstallation of Windows and gigabytes of data. I have also succsessfully recovered pictures from a formatted SD data cards. I am wery impressed what this program can recover...
Go to Top of Page

alight

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  10:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I followed the tip from Stein-Rune and tried RecoverMyFiles which found a number of overwritten file fragments (total ca. 24MB) but not enough to re-create the map data. I have now returned the device to my distributor as he requested........
thanks to every one for their advice - and I have learned the hard way to make a back up before upgrading...........!
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  15:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alight, a good backup is a most but I think the major lesson you should have learned is to NOT USE THE WEBUPDATER to update your Nuvi's firmware. Even Garmin agrees with this finally. They have taken the link to the updater off the firmware download page for the 350 and although its still there for the 360 I suspect it's just a case of the website not being up to date.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

alight

Germany
6 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  14:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update: I finally got a new nuvi from by distributor today, 2 months later. They had still not received my original unit back from Garmin. First thing I did was a backup....!!!
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7736 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  15:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good move.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05