Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2202

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 New Nuvi coming out - nüvi 610/660 with widescreen
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

dxchase

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDIT BY GPSPASSION 20060914

UPDATED 09/14 : close encounter with the nüvi 660 in Paris -> see this article
UPDATED 09/01 : the nüvi 610 and 660 have now been officially announced by Garmin, see press release on their site.

UPDATED 08/27

From the FCC website

So Garmin is going widescreen too with the 660, the new 4" 480 x 272 pixel screens were first used on the TomTom GO 510/910 family and then on the Navman iCN 720/750's. While not a huge leap compared to the 3.5" 320x230, these screens certainly add to the overall comfort.

Full specs on buy.com, of particular note :

- SiRFstarIII
- Handsfree Bluetooth wireless technology interface
- Preloaded with highly detailed City Navigator NT maps containing detailed road maps throughout the entire United States, Canada & Puerto Rico
- 700 MBs of internal memory for storage of supplemental maps, MP3s
- Text to speech unit
- 4.3" WQVGA LCD screen / 480 x 272 pixels
- Bundled traffic receiver includes GTM 20 or GTM 21
- Built-in FM transmitter
- Pre-installed European safety camera database for speed tracking

Looks another Nuvi coming out soon (with a bigger screen too!):

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/21/upcoming-garmin-nuvi-spotted-on-fcc-site/

I better start saving my pennies and/or sell my 350.

Ads

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! The nuvi 660 (part number 010-00540-00) eh. Nice find.

Looks like it's going to have a 4.3" WQVGA (480 x 272) LCD screen. That should be pretty impressive. Lets just hope that it gets all of the bells and whistles from the zumo 550 and/or Mobile XT.

EDIT: Looks like it will have a built-in FM transmitter as well. Not sure why Garmin would be adding a "transmitter" instead of a "receiver"??? Unless it will be like the Rino 530 where you can transmit your position to other nuvi units (i.e. your friends). That would be kind of cool.

Edited by - TheOfficeMaven on 22 août 2006 01:49:10
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, isn't that screen size pretty close to the one on the new StreetPilot 2820? If so, I sure hope that Garmin doesn't stick the 2820's user interface on it. While the 2820's user interface has all of the bells and whistles we want, I really do like the look of the nuvi/zumo/Mobile XT user interface MUCH better.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93938 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:45:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, nice catch, added a picture extracted from the FCC site, don't have my nüvi handy but those who do can verify that it is indeed wider ;-)

FM transmitter is likely to get the sound out to the car stereo, in 7+ years of tries I have yet to see an FM transmitter that gives good quality (think static) especially in dense areas where the band is saturated.

No the resolution of the 2720 is different I believe, the 660 has the 16/9 screen used on the GO x10 AIOs and the Navman icn 7x0.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D'oh! Yes... That's right, folks do indeed use "FM transmitters" to broadcast the sound (of their iPod's etc.) to their car's radio. Forgot about that one.
Go to Top of Page

dxchase

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  02:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The FM transmitter is useless to me. I live in NYC and I never get a clean transmission. But I guess it may be ok if it is just used for the the NUVI TTS voice. We all know the Nuvi speaker isn't the greatest. I do hope Garmin improves the 3D scroll by making it smoother. That is pretty much the only real improvement I want. I doubt this will happen though.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93938 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  02:51:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, especially since the 70% larger screen takes a toll on performance, even the fast TomTom GO's are a bit slower with it compared to the models using the 3.5/320x240 screen. The scrolling is ok for me on the nüvi's, I'd rather they fix the 3D perspective a bit, although the new 3D "car" icons have helped with that compared to the original "flat" arrow. More elaborate "detour" options would be nice too as these are often needed in dense urban areas where you constantly hit traffic problems.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

RedRover1

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  03:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems interesting that it says the 660 is bundled with traffic receiver includes GTM 20 or GTM 21 but if you look at this link http://www.garmin.com/traffic/ it seems like none of the other nuvis can work with those traffic receivers.
Go to Top of Page

kenrippy

19 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  06:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$760 if you're willing to take a risk with chumbo.com....oh and it's OOS anyway.
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  08:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Called Buy.com and they said they expect shipment in the second half of September.
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  08:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, especially since the 70% larger screen takes a toll on performance, even the fast TomTom GO's are a bit slower with it compared to the models using the 3.5/320x240 screen. The scrolling is ok for me on the nüvi's, I'd rather they fix the 3D perspective a bit, although the new 3D "car" icons have helped with that compared to the original "flat" arrow. More elaborate "detour" options would be nice too as these are often needed in dense urban areas where you constantly hit traffic problems.

Keep in mind that the screen has nothing to do with the "speed." The graphics chipset in the unit determines that. If the internals remain the same from the Garmin 360, then it's possible that the unit with the larger screen will be slower, but I'm betting Garmin updated the unit with a faster graphics chipset to accomodate the larger screen.
quote:
I live in NYC and I never get a clean transmission.

If you want a FM transmitter that actually works in NYC, try the Scosche FMTRNS01:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3661257

The Walmart online store is usually sold out, but you can often find them at their stores. The make/model is the FMTRNS01; avoid the IPTRNS01 version. This model transmits at 2-3x the power of typical FM transmitters. Do not get the black model Scosche -without- charger, as it transmits at lower power and is not nearly as good.

For an iPod, the black version -with- charger also works well:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694330

Note the initial link I posted was for the wrong model. Posting at 3am is not a good idea.

Edited by - KenF on 22 août 2006 13:57:54
Go to Top of Page

AndreTheGeek

Canada
174 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  12:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Looks like it will have a built-in FM transmitter as well. Not sure why Garmin would be adding a "transmitter" instead of a "receiver"???

To transmit its voice to your car stereo!

Nuvi 350 - BMW 335i (and no good mounting solution)

Edited by - AndreTheGeek on 22 août 2006 12:41:24
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7438 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  13:23:04  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KenF:

There's no way that FM transmitter can be "2-3x the power of typical FM transmitters." That would violate FCC regulations and wipe out reception on FM stations in nearby cars. I could not find any tech specs on the unit, so beware of marketing hype.

I have used several FM transmitters with my iPods and they are a reasonable compromise, but not a great solution. I ended up hard wiring a line input or using a cassette adapter for both the iPods and nuvi in the cars where I use them.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 22 août 2006 13:23:49
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  13:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
danham,

I know. In reviews of the unit, people have suggested that it does violate FCC regulations. I have no way to measure that, so I can't say for sure. But I have tried 12-15 FM transmitters and that one was the only one that worked well for me. I found it discussed on several forums dedicated to the iPod.

Update: Fixed the links.

Anyway, let's get back to the Nuvi discussion. If you are buying this new model, you wouldn't need a FM transmitter anyway.

Edited by - KenF on 22 août 2006 14:00:45
Go to Top of Page

Taz-Man

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that the bigger screen would definitely impact battery life too which isn’t great to begin with! But if they have a bigger battery to compensate, then they unit weight goes up. The screen refresh is already poor so if they didn't update the GPU (graphics processing unit) then it would be pathetically slow. Garmin is so far behind TT in this area it isn’t even fair to compare them.

At least with the bigger case it could have better speakers. On the downside, I think they are screwing up the only real advantage they have over some of the other companies and that was size and then TT released the ONE. I wonder if it will still fit in my shirt pocket. At first I was real excited about the prospect of the wider Nuvi but if it grows too much then it won’t be as usable as the current Nuvis.

If they don’t fix the interface then I get MORE of a bad thing. It has potential but I hope they didn’t squander it…

I forgot to add, that I would be REALLY ticked off if it wouldn't work with the traffic receivers that worked with the 3xx series. Then if I wanted to upgrade I'd be throwing away gear I already have. So if it works ONLY with the GTM receivers listed then all I can say is Garmin, another poster was correct about that stench drifting from Kansas...

Edited by - Taz-Man on 22 août 2006 16:53:10
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  17:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Taz, looks like Garmin just can't satisfy everyone all the time, and some folks hardly ever. But from the reviews I've read, at least you won't be "really ticked off" because I think the traffic receiver is an integral part of the unit... so you wouldn't have to buy more of that stuff, anyway.

As for your TT One, so far the two reviews I've seen each describe it as a minimal, entry level unit, and very "pricey", even at $499, for what you do get. Not being at all familiar with those units, all I can go by are the reviews, and thus far I can in no way agree with your enthusiasm.

The new Garmin unit sounds like it will have some nice stuff, but since I have been very satisfied with my Nuvi 350, they are up to now NOT tempting me to upgrade. It would take a lot more than a wide screen and a traffic receiver!

rapp

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,77 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05