Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 New Nuvi coming out - nüvi 610/660 with widescreen
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dxchase

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
EDIT BY GPSPASSION 20060914

UPDATED 09/14 : close encounter with the nüvi 660 in Paris -> see this article
UPDATED 09/01 : the nüvi 610 and 660 have now been officially announced by Garmin, see press release on their site.

UPDATED 08/27

From the FCC website

So Garmin is going widescreen too with the 660, the new 4" 480 x 272 pixel screens were first used on the TomTom GO 510/910 family and then on the Navman iCN 720/750's. While not a huge leap compared to the 3.5" 320x230, these screens certainly add to the overall comfort.

Full specs on buy.com, of particular note :

- SiRFstarIII
- Handsfree Bluetooth wireless technology interface
- Preloaded with highly detailed City Navigator NT maps containing detailed road maps throughout the entire United States, Canada & Puerto Rico
- 700 MBs of internal memory for storage of supplemental maps, MP3s
- Text to speech unit
- 4.3" WQVGA LCD screen / 480 x 272 pixels
- Bundled traffic receiver includes GTM 20 or GTM 21
- Built-in FM transmitter
- Pre-installed European safety camera database for speed tracking

Looks another Nuvi coming out soon (with a bigger screen too!):

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/21/upcoming-garmin-nuvi-spotted-on-fcc-site/

I better start saving my pennies and/or sell my 350.

Ads

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow! The nuvi 660 (part number 010-00540-00) eh. Nice find.

Looks like it's going to have a 4.3" WQVGA (480 x 272) LCD screen. That should be pretty impressive. Lets just hope that it gets all of the bells and whistles from the zumo 550 and/or Mobile XT.

EDIT: Looks like it will have a built-in FM transmitter as well. Not sure why Garmin would be adding a "transmitter" instead of a "receiver"??? Unless it will be like the Rino 530 where you can transmit your position to other nuvi units (i.e. your friends). That would be kind of cool.

Edited by - TheOfficeMaven on 22 août 2006 01:49:10
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, isn't that screen size pretty close to the one on the new StreetPilot 2820? If so, I sure hope that Garmin doesn't stick the 2820's user interface on it. While the 2820's user interface has all of the bells and whistles we want, I really do like the look of the nuvi/zumo/Mobile XT user interface MUCH better.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:45:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, nice catch, added a picture extracted from the FCC site, don't have my nüvi handy but those who do can verify that it is indeed wider ;-)

FM transmitter is likely to get the sound out to the car stereo, in 7+ years of tries I have yet to see an FM transmitter that gives good quality (think static) especially in dense areas where the band is saturated.

No the resolution of the 2720 is different I believe, the 660 has the 16/9 screen used on the GO x10 AIOs and the Navman icn 7x0.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  01:50:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D'oh! Yes... That's right, folks do indeed use "FM transmitters" to broadcast the sound (of their iPod's etc.) to their car's radio. Forgot about that one.
Go to Top of Page

dxchase

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  02:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The FM transmitter is useless to me. I live in NYC and I never get a clean transmission. But I guess it may be ok if it is just used for the the NUVI TTS voice. We all know the Nuvi speaker isn't the greatest. I do hope Garmin improves the 3D scroll by making it smoother. That is pretty much the only real improvement I want. I doubt this will happen though.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  02:51:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, especially since the 70% larger screen takes a toll on performance, even the fast TomTom GO's are a bit slower with it compared to the models using the 3.5/320x240 screen. The scrolling is ok for me on the nüvi's, I'd rather they fix the 3D perspective a bit, although the new 3D "car" icons have helped with that compared to the original "flat" arrow. More elaborate "detour" options would be nice too as these are often needed in dense urban areas where you constantly hit traffic problems.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

RedRover1

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  03:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems interesting that it says the 660 is bundled with traffic receiver includes GTM 20 or GTM 21 but if you look at this link http://www.garmin.com/traffic/ it seems like none of the other nuvis can work with those traffic receivers.
Go to Top of Page

kenrippy

19 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  06:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$760 if you're willing to take a risk with chumbo.com....oh and it's OOS anyway.
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  08:00:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Called Buy.com and they said they expect shipment in the second half of September.
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  08:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes, especially since the 70% larger screen takes a toll on performance, even the fast TomTom GO's are a bit slower with it compared to the models using the 3.5/320x240 screen. The scrolling is ok for me on the nüvi's, I'd rather they fix the 3D perspective a bit, although the new 3D "car" icons have helped with that compared to the original "flat" arrow. More elaborate "detour" options would be nice too as these are often needed in dense urban areas where you constantly hit traffic problems.

Keep in mind that the screen has nothing to do with the "speed." The graphics chipset in the unit determines that. If the internals remain the same from the Garmin 360, then it's possible that the unit with the larger screen will be slower, but I'm betting Garmin updated the unit with a faster graphics chipset to accomodate the larger screen.
quote:
I live in NYC and I never get a clean transmission.

If you want a FM transmitter that actually works in NYC, try the Scosche FMTRNS01:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3661257

The Walmart online store is usually sold out, but you can often find them at their stores. The make/model is the FMTRNS01; avoid the IPTRNS01 version. This model transmits at 2-3x the power of typical FM transmitters. Do not get the black model Scosche -without- charger, as it transmits at lower power and is not nearly as good.

For an iPod, the black version -with- charger also works well:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4694330

Note the initial link I posted was for the wrong model. Posting at 3am is not a good idea.

Edited by - KenF on 22 août 2006 13:57:54
Go to Top of Page

AndreTheGeek

Canada
174 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  12:40:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Looks like it will have a built-in FM transmitter as well. Not sure why Garmin would be adding a "transmitter" instead of a "receiver"???

To transmit its voice to your car stereo!

Nuvi 350 - BMW 335i (and no good mounting solution)

Edited by - AndreTheGeek on 22 août 2006 12:41:24
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  13:23:04  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
KenF:

There's no way that FM transmitter can be "2-3x the power of typical FM transmitters." That would violate FCC regulations and wipe out reception on FM stations in nearby cars. I could not find any tech specs on the unit, so beware of marketing hype.

I have used several FM transmitters with my iPods and they are a reasonable compromise, but not a great solution. I ended up hard wiring a line input or using a cassette adapter for both the iPods and nuvi in the cars where I use them.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Nüvi 760 in a '14 VW GTI & zumo 660 on a BMW F800 ST
Guide to working with pre-programmed routes: >> details <<
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA

Edited by - danham on 22 août 2006 13:23:49
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  13:45:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
danham,

I know. In reviews of the unit, people have suggested that it does violate FCC regulations. I have no way to measure that, so I can't say for sure. But I have tried 12-15 FM transmitters and that one was the only one that worked well for me. I found it discussed on several forums dedicated to the iPod.

Update: Fixed the links.

Anyway, let's get back to the Nuvi discussion. If you are buying this new model, you wouldn't need a FM transmitter anyway.

Edited by - KenF on 22 août 2006 14:00:45
Go to Top of Page

Taz-Man

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to add that the bigger screen would definitely impact battery life too which isn’t great to begin with! But if they have a bigger battery to compensate, then they unit weight goes up. The screen refresh is already poor so if they didn't update the GPU (graphics processing unit) then it would be pathetically slow. Garmin is so far behind TT in this area it isn’t even fair to compare them.

At least with the bigger case it could have better speakers. On the downside, I think they are screwing up the only real advantage they have over some of the other companies and that was size and then TT released the ONE. I wonder if it will still fit in my shirt pocket. At first I was real excited about the prospect of the wider Nuvi but if it grows too much then it won’t be as usable as the current Nuvis.

If they don’t fix the interface then I get MORE of a bad thing. It has potential but I hope they didn’t squander it…

I forgot to add, that I would be REALLY ticked off if it wouldn't work with the traffic receivers that worked with the 3xx series. Then if I wanted to upgrade I'd be throwing away gear I already have. So if it works ONLY with the GTM receivers listed then all I can say is Garmin, another poster was correct about that stench drifting from Kansas...

Edited by - Taz-Man on 22 août 2006 16:53:10
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  17:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Taz, looks like Garmin just can't satisfy everyone all the time, and some folks hardly ever. But from the reviews I've read, at least you won't be "really ticked off" because I think the traffic receiver is an integral part of the unit... so you wouldn't have to buy more of that stuff, anyway.

As for your TT One, so far the two reviews I've seen each describe it as a minimal, entry level unit, and very "pricey", even at $499, for what you do get. Not being at all familiar with those units, all I can go by are the reviews, and thus far I can in no way agree with your enthusiasm.

The new Garmin unit sounds like it will have some nice stuff, but since I have been very satisfied with my Nuvi 350, they are up to now NOT tempting me to upgrade. It would take a lot more than a wide screen and a traffic receiver!

rapp

Go to Top of Page

RedRover1

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  18:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure that it is correct to describe the TomTom MKII as minimal unit since it does have a lot of the bells and whistles when it comes to navigation such as saving routes, roadblocks, better detour and others that are missing from the nuvi. What seems to be missing from the TomTom is the TTS, shorter batter life, no internal storage, mp3 players and all the other travel related functions in the nuvi(a lot which you need to pay extra for). Of these, I would say, only the TTS has an impact on navigation during average use.

Did the review mention what navigation features they think the TomTom is missing?

Edited by - RedRover1 on 22 août 2006 18:29:57
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  18:52:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The TomTom ONE discussion MkII is here -> http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=64496 so please use it to discuss TT ONE specific issues, this is the nüvi 660 discussion, it's natural to compare relative features, but we have already have several threads about that, so please revive them.

Clearly there are people who are TomTom and people who are Garmin, I happen to like both although they have their relative strengths and weaknesses. In any case, people participating here should be capable of discussing respective merits based on facts and user feedback without jumping to conclusions after reading a quicky review in a magazine where the guy has likely used the GPS for a whole 2 hours and then moved on. Discussing facts and observations in straightforward way. Case closed.

Anyway back to the nüvi 660 that seems to be a promising unit, I just wish we could see what it looks like seen from the front now ;-)

Go to Top of Page

mr.BeBoT

9 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  19:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I'm still new to the GPS scene and product cycles/refreshes, at this point in time are those features pretty much set in stone or is there a chance we'll be seeing further additions(such as XM!)?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 août 2006 :  19:51:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looks like it for the nüvi 660, I wonder why neither the nüvi or C5x0 family has the XM option, probably some marketing decision as the GXM™ 30 seems to be a wholly contained external unit.

Go to Top of Page

Big Al too

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  00:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPS is new to me, been using streets and trips, with blue tooth gps. it works well, but its too big to lug around. Have been looking at nuvi 350, but like the fm of the 660 also the bigger screen. Also storage of locations. Can you store these on sd memory card?
is 700 mb enough? Is memory an issue.
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  01:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that the nüvi 660 will have the same amount of internal storage as the 350/360 (i.e. around 2 GB). I think that the 700 MB number that's being tossed around is merely the amount of free/usuable space remaining on the internal memory after it's been filled with the operating system, pre-loaded maps, etc. However, the 660 will also include a SD card slot I'm sure (just as the 350/360 does) and so you'll be able to put up to 4 GB of additional maps, audio files, etc. on an SD card.
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  01:26:46  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if "slippery" use of the word "memory" has caught up to us all [g]?

Nuvi has 2GB of internal storage, which is not really its working memory (RAM). I try to call it "storage," not "memory" to be clear that it is performing the function of a hard drive.

We do not know how much volatile RAM nuvi has. I wonder if the 700 MB figure is the 660's memory, NOT its storage capacity?

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Language Guide / US Topo / 350 & 680 / MacBook & Intel iMac with OS X & Win XP / BaseCamp / Cape Cod, MA
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  16:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Looks like there will be a nüvi 610 as well:

http://www.thenavigationcompany.com/products/TN0168_Garmin_Nuvi_610.html

It will probably be equivalent to the 300/310 only in the 6xx series.
Go to Top of Page

johnnytuinals

151 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  19:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was about to order the Nuvi 350 but I see that they are releasing the Nuvi 610 and 660 with in a few weeks....
I am sure many love their nuvi 350s,but since we are that close in getting the New ones should I wait a few weeks,They say its between Sept and Oct...
And maybe they worked out the bugs in the new units and maybe the older units will go alot down in price depends on what they are charging for the new ones.......JT
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  19:25:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in anyone's claimed release date for these new units. Heck, Garmin hasn't even "officially" announced that the devices even exist yet! From prior experience (just take a look at the zumo if you don't believe me), Garmin generally takes around 3 months to release a new unit from the time they officially announce it. Thus, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see the new nüvi's until late November or early December.

Personally, if they show up any earlier, I'd be guessing that they'll be stuck with the same dumbed down OS/UI from the nüvi 350/360 and that would really stink. I'm hoping that Garmin puts some quality time into the new nüvi and makes it a lot more like the zumo and/or Mobile XT from a OS/UI perspective. I'd much rather wait for a better unit than see a half-assed one rushed to marked in time for x-mass.

Just my $0.02...

EDIT: Besides that, if Garmin releases it too soon, it may adversely affect the sales of the zumo. I realize that they are being targeted at different audiences, but a lot of folks would certainly buy a zumo and then upgrade to a nüvi 360 latter on if Garmin really does justice to the unit.

Edited by - TheOfficeMaven on 23 août 2006 19:28:15
Go to Top of Page

johnnytuinals

151 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  19:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well is it still better to wait till Oct or Nov as you say?
And will it be more money then the 350 or 360?
I'm just afraid buying the 350 when in a month or 2 they will have a unit thats night and day over the 350..JT
Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  20:20:25  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The very best time to buy a new piece of consumer electronics gear in terms of avoiding obsolescence is ... tomorrow.

The very best time to buy a new piece of consumer electronics gear in terms of maximum reliability and best price is ... today.

The very best time to buy a new piece of consumer electronics gear in terms of meeting your needs right away is ... yesterday.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -
Go to Top of Page

johnnytuinals

151 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  21:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yea i know
Its like buying a Cellphone from Verizon,they are always coming out with new phones but they all do the same thing,and most of the feature you will not use.
I am sure that the 350 will do the job as well as the 610 or 660,except for a few options.But maybe given a month from now they might comeout with the unit and have less bugs in it with the same price.....JT
Go to Top of Page

SRFast

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  21:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I purchased the nuvi 350 for its size and feature set. If the nuvi 660's wide screen is the only major change, I see no reason to "upgrade". Am I missing something?

TIA....JL

Edited by - SRFast on 24 août 2006 01:09:03
Go to Top of Page

Pete_L_P

27 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  21:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO the FM transmitter is a really great plus, especially for those like myself, who use the Nuvi for rental cars.

The FM transmitter will likely provide audio from Nuvi to your car's radio/ sound system for three functions:

1) The Nuvi's MP3's
2) Voice guidance: Spoken statements like "Turn Left in 1 mile"
3) Audio for the Nuvi's bluetooth/handsfree function.

Note that, when using the Nuvi's MP3s through your radio via the transmitter, the Nuvi will likely turn down that music when using the phone or broadcasting voice guidance commands. That's a big advantage over separate devices.

When I use a rental car I today, I use the Nuvi AND my iPod. The ipod plays over rental cars with it's Kensington charger/FM Transmitter. The transmitter has worked really well, and a transmitter, in general, is the only way to use MP3's (iPod or otherwise) over most rental cars today. But that requires two charger cables (for Nuvi + iPod) and two devices, quite a mess.

The FM transmitter in the Nuvi is exactly what I've been wanting and enormously simplifies this setup. It's the perfect addition, IMO, and one that really makes the MP3 capabilities a true road solution.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

dxchase

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 23 août 2006 :  21:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnnytuinals,

The other thing to keep in mind is that the upcoming Nuvi 660 will most likely be more expensive than than 350. I think you can probably get a 350 for about $600 these days.

If you are in desperate need for a GPS, then I would say get the 350/360. But if not, then I would wait and see how the 660 widescreen and the form factor compares to the 350. At least, that's what I would do ...

-dxchase
Go to Top of Page

ciprol

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  01:36:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess going wide screen is the in thing to do these days. But I am not sure it's necessarily the right thing to have for a car navigator. Given that the bulk of us would mount this either on the screen (except in CA) or on the dash, a bigger screen potentially would block out more of the driver's view. I think the present Nuvi 350/360 screen size is just fine, it's able to show a good area of the map as required by the driver. But if the aim is to start to watch those HD movies on the Nuvi, then I withdraw my case. :P
Go to Top of Page

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 24 août 2006 :  01:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have bought this instead of the 360 if I knew it would be coming out. I like the idea of having a built in FM transmitter and traffic receiver. If the list price is $1000, I think it should be able to be found for a couple of hundred less when it actually comes out. The 360 was listed at $960 (I think) and I've seen it sell for as low as $730. I've already bought the GTM 12 for the 360, so the price is working out to be the same.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2006 :  21:00:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
More details and pictures -> http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=504 ;-)

Go to Top of Page

G-Man

92 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2006 :  21:37:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What interests me is the FM Transmitter and Traffic, but I really don't want a larger unit. I think I will stick with the 360 for now. I can return it for 30 days to Amazon, but unless I run into issues, I think it's a keeper.

G-Man
Garmin nüvi 1490T, 360, Forerunner 305

Edited by - G-Man on 27 août 2006 21:37:18
Go to Top of Page

DreamWeaver88

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 27 août 2006 :  21:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my 350 at Best Buy and I bought the warranty with it. If something goes wrong with my 350 in the next few years, I'll just exchange it for the 660 (or whatever the best model widescreen Nuvi is at that time). They'll give me the full price I paid for the 350 towards the 660....I'll just have to ante up the $99 for a new warranty, and the price difference if there is any.

DW
Go to Top of Page

cfw

Belgium
278 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2006 :  17:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These FM Transmitters are forbidden in Europe, so what there will be a 660special for Europe

Nuvi 300 GTM11- Nuvi 660T
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2006 :  18:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's probably what the 610 version will be. Either that or Garmin will just disable the FM Transmitter in the Euro version (assuming that it is indeed not legal there).
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 28 août 2006 :  20:53:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to a friend of mine FM transmitters are legal here in Ireland. It's only the one used for illegal radio stations that are a no no. Ones for use in a car or a home, for transmitting radio to another room, etc are fine.

Patrick

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  16:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The restriction for these transmitters is going to be lifted within the EU. Provided the transmitter has a CE-approval and is within 50 nW, it will be permitted. Here in Sweden it was proposed to allow them from September, 2006, but I haven't checked if the schedule is kept.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  18:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders

Thank you for that. It would certainly make things a lot better for all of us in Europe if this was finally sorted out. I await further news with pleasurable anticipation.

Patrick

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 29 août 2006 :  19:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In case you want to read 60 pages about how they figured this out, well, here it is, the CEPT ECC report:
http://www.ero.dk/documentation/docs/doc98/official/pdf/ECCREP073.PDF

Anders
Go to Top of Page

Scottw33

3 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2006 :  02:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the 660 has a line output to allow me to hook up my own FM transmitter if I do not like theirs. I use my C550 with my DLO FM Transmitter (which is actually made for a IPOD docking connector) and it sounds pretty good. I like the way the c550 stops the MP3 playing to announce directions or allows me to talk on my phone (though there is a echo on the phone and 2 wires to deal with - one to the lighter and the other runs to the DLO FM transmitter). But it works pretty well.... Scott
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 31 août 2006 :  11:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion Scott. A line-out would [in many cases] eliminate the need for an FM transmitter, you could simply connect a cable from the Nuvi directly to your vehicle's stereo in-put.

Providing of course your stereo had such an in put.

Patrick

Tommy T

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  14:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KenF
So to clarify - the white Scosche FMTRNS01 transmitter works ok with the nuvi? I have a 350. That black one is not suitable for the nuvi? I know they are not as good as direct aux input but at this time I have no choice for the car. Have you noticed any fade after a prolonged time? Thanks
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  17:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

Garmin has now officially announced the nüvi 610/660:

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/090106.html

AND

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi660/

Enjoy!

-- MIKE

Edited by - TheOfficeMaven on 01 sept. 2006 17:45:15
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  18:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done for getting that so quick. It nice to see it announced officially and with an expected release date for September 2006.

It's a bit pricey but if it comes with all the usual features [and more]along with full US or European mapping I will be getting one.

quote:
Suggested Retail Price:
$1076.91 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only
)

Patrick

hgps

16 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  19:07:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NUVI 660:
Unit dimensions: 4.9”W x 2.9”H x 0.9” D (12.4 x 7.4 x 2.3 cm)
Weight: 6.2 oz. (190 g)

My NUVI 350
Unit dimensions: 3.87" W x 2.91" H x 0.87" D (98.3 mm x 73.9 mm x 22.1 mm)
Weight: 5.1 ounces (144.6 grams)
Go to Top of Page

Tosty

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  20:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading the Garmin press release it also mentions the 610 model. This will be sold in Europe as a single region unit. The 660 has full Euro mapping.

Regards,

Tosty.
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  23:04:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a review:

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/350/C9331/

Patrick

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 01 sept. 2006 :  23:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can be bought here for $899.99

http://www.bnotions.com/NUVI-660-TRAVL-ASSISTANT-p/010-00540-00.htm

Patrick

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2006 :  00:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone found the 660 from an authorized dealer for less than $739? I was surprised to find that the dealer price on the 660 is only a few dollars higher than the 360.
Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2006 :  01:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ludlum

Here is a review:

D'oh! I wouldn't call that much of a "review". I don't thing he has any more info than we do and it doesn't bode well for him stating that he lives in his mom's basement. What a
Go to Top of Page

bentbiker

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2006 :  05:22:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ludlum,
I'd be careful of that bnotions price. They show a suggested retail of $899 when the MSRP for the 660 is really $1077. Then they say to add it to the cart to see discounted price and no discount shows. I sell these things and I'm being told by our distributor that the reason I had to notify him of the announcement is that the ship date has already been pushed back to November. I know, strange they'd announce a delay the same day they announce the product, but I'm sure the announcement was written weeks ago. My disti may be all wet, but he claims to be getting stock with the first allocation, but not until November.

One company claimes to have stock earlier today:
http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=Nuvi660
but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Bentbiker
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2006 :  09:58:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you bentbiker.

I was hopeful that it was already available as we are now in September. But if it does become genuinely available by November that would be great.

My concern is will the European version also be available in Nov' with the new mapping, ie, V9.

Patrick

Edited by - ludlum on 02 sept. 2006 10:11:21
Go to Top of Page

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 02 sept. 2006 :  17:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is seriously making me consider returning the 360 and traffic receiver and purchasing this. The 660 will actually be cheaper considering I purchased the GTM-12 for the 360. I won't have to bother with any extra wires and it will have the built in FM transmitter. Yes, seriously considering it.
Go to Top of Page

Jim1348

USA
540 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2006 :  00:19:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, maybe they could add XM receive capability and then it would be a replacement for the StreetPilot 2730.
Go to Top of Page

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2006 :  03:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there are other Garmin models with built in traffic receivers. Has anyone here used one and can you comment on how well it works? With the GTM 12 some people here have commented on having issues depending on how the antenna is positioned, so I was wondering how well the built in traffic receiver would work in this new model because there wouldn't be an antenna to affix to the window. Thanks for any replies.

Edited by - jxk on 03 sept. 2006 03:49:52
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2006 :  06:51:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also wish they would add XM receive capability. XM Navtraffic data is clearly superior to the FM traffic data, at least in the DC Metro area. That's not to say the FM traffic service is bad, it's just that XM NavTraffic is much better -- you get traffic updates faster, as as well as traffic updates that aren't on the FM service.

Edited by - KenF on 03 sept. 2006 18:56:06
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2006 :  10:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jxk

I know there are other Garmin models with built in traffic receivers. Has anyone here used one and can you comment on how well it works? With the GTM 12 some people here have commented on having issues depending on how the antenna is positioned, so I was wondering how well the built in traffic receiver would work in this new model because there wouldn't be an antenna to affix to the window. Thanks for any replies.

Haven't used one myself but the Garmin StreetPilot 7200 has the built-in FM Transmitter.

Check out the link: http://www.garmin.com/products/sp7200/

Patrick

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 03 sept. 2006 :  11:56:01  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No FM transmitter in Europe though as discussed in the 7200 threads and usefulness "uncertain", as seen above.

Go to Top of Page

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  06:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still confused about the traffic receiver on the 660. I apologize in advance for being thick. At first I thought it was built in but, after reading the description more closely, it's the GTM 20 that's being bundled with the unit, right?

I currently have the 360 and GTM 12. The GTM 12 plugs into the USB port and the 360 has to be plugged into the charger/lighter. With the GTM 20, does it plug into the back of the cradle and into lighter/charger? Would that mean it would also be charging the Nuvi as well? If not, how would the Nuvi charge when being used in the car with the traffic receiver? And, last question - is the antenna for the GTM 20 in the cord going to the lighter? That would mean no antenna on the window, correct?

Again, sorry for the thickness. Thanks for any help.

Edited by - jxk on 04 sept. 2006 06:45:53
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  11:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GTM20/21 is a combined cigarette charging cable and the antenna for the RDS-TMC support. It uses a single connector to connect to the unit, which is different to the mini USB used on the Nuvi for both the charging cable and the GTM12/11/10.

The GTM20 (on the C550) plugs directly into the unit, so it will be interesting to see how Garmin do the 610/660 - whether they use a cradle connector or it plugs directly into the back of the unit.

Yes, the single unit will charge the unit at the same time as providing traffic.

Finally, although the GTM20 (USA) has the antenna built into the charging cable (and hence, yes, no antenna on the window), the GTM21 (Europe) still utilises a separate cable for the antenna, which would be best placed on the windscreen.
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  13:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the 660 will be shipped without the FM transmitter to some countries.

Garmin:

quote:
* FM Transmitter feature is only available in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand.

Found located at bottom of page.

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi660/

Patrick

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  14:58:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, makes sense.

I agree that the whole "integrated" receiver part is confusing, on the C550 it doesn't really seem to be all that integrated as the cabling is pretty cumbersome, on the Mio C710 or ViaMichelin X950T you only plug in a little FM antenna so it is indeed integrated. Now maybe the cabling is cumbersome on the C550 because it recharges at the same time.

Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  15:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed - Garmin make a point of saying the unit has an "integrated receiver", which does imply it's like the Mio C710 in that the GTM20/21 is only an antenna, but I'm not 100% sure either way.
Go to Top of Page

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  16:50:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone. They were very helpful.

I wonder why the US version doesn't include the separate antenna and I wonder if that will affect its performance. As long as it worked well, I guess I wouldn't mind it being a little cumbersome because it would be replacing the car charger, so that should work out about the same. I think it would make the most sense if it plugged into the cradle.
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  19:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the US version doesn't have a separate antenna simply because it doesn't need one. In the UK the FM radio signal is so weak that problems with signal noise coming from the car cigarette charging cable render the ability to receive traffic pretty impossible. Garmin have confirmed it only affects the UK, which implies other countries have stronger radio signals...
Go to Top of Page

Bob72

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  19:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not radio savy, so the question: The new 660 will have a FM radio transmitter (USA) model. Does this mean you can tune you FM car radio to a certain frequenct and pick up the Nuvi, or do you have to also connect something to the radio? It also has the intergrated traffic alert. Won't you still have to subscribe to the service?

Nuvi 660 (Ustahave 350)

Edited by - Bob72 on 04 sept. 2006 19:45:11
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  20:36:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right, it simply means you can retune your FM radio to the Nuvi. Neat idea - and should work well.

Patrick

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  21:52:06  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jxkI wonder why the US version doesn't include the separate antenna and I wonder if that will affect its performance.

Not sure what you mean ? The FM antenna is in fact included in that "cumbersome" cabling that plugs into the flat connector in the back of the C550 that I was describing above and that Garmin have said was identical on the 610/660. As far as I know regardless of the country, FM reception is always going to require an antenna to work.

Go to Top of Page

Bob72

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  22:15:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion, I have read on some post that there had to be some sort of an attachment on your car radio to receive the FM tranmission (what I understood). But I was asking if any attachment had to be on the radio to receive FM transmission from the 660. I thought it may work like some microphone's that transmitted FM through a radio with out connections or antennas. Maybe I made the post confusing.

Nuvi 660 (Ustahave 350)
Go to Top of Page

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  22:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't clear. I think both the GTM 20 & 21 have an antenna in the cable. I was wondering why the US version didn't have the separate antenna that is affixed to the window that is included with the GTM 21. The GTM 20 doesn't have it. Swing answered that question:

quote:
I think the US version doesn't have a separate antenna simply because it doesn't need one. In the UK the FM radio signal is so weak that problems with signal noise coming from the car cigarette charging cable render the ability to receive traffic pretty impossible.

The cumbersome part came from your original post:

quote:
it doesn't really seem to be all that integrated as the cabling is pretty cumbersome

I was just stating that, as long as it was replacing the car charger, I was ok with it being a little cumbersome. With the 360 and GTM 12, you have both the car charger (plugged into the cradle) and the antenna (plugged into the USB port on the Nuvi). So, if the GTM 20 plugs into the cradle of the 660, I would be ok with that as it would be one less wire than my current setup.

I wasn't really speaking about the traffic receiver being truly integrated - just that I would be ok with that setup.

Edited by - jxk on 04 sept. 2006 22:26:21
Go to Top of Page

jonasolof

Belgium
255 Posts

Posted - 04 sept. 2006 :  23:36:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's weird that Garmin would launch a european version of the 610/660 without a FM transmitter at a time when the European Union is about to legalize these in cars for the very purpose of transmitting from MP3's etc. It could be though, that the US FM transmitter is too strong and that they don't care about making several versions. Anyhow, it would make many of us search for US 610 versions, but then we might miss some other accessories that only go with the 660.

Jonas Lönnroth
Belgium & Sweden
Mio c520t, Garmins iQue 3600, Nüvi 660, 76CS, 60CSx, GPS10, GPS18
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 05 sept. 2006 :  00:16:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@jxk and @Bob72 - ok, see your points, I had missed the fact that the GTM20 does not have any FM antenna, wonder how that can work at all, they must have somehow integrated the antenna in the cable, can't be quite as good as having the small FM antenna running up your windhshield though.

@jonasolof - yes that would make sense, honestly having tried FM transmitters over the past 14 years and being disappointed each time, no biggie to me ;-) I once returned one to a Radio Shack and the guy said "yes last year's model was better but it got banned by the FCC as it was too powerful...", someone mentioned a similar story in a previous page.

Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  01:23:08  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jxk
At first I thought it was built in but, after reading the description more closely, it's the GTM 20 that's being bundled with the unit, right?

Currently it seems so, but that's not 100% confirmed as of yet. Garmins marketing department seems to be taking liberties with the term "integrated'. You see the GTM20 is ALREADY an integrated product, so when it's bundled along with the Nuvi 660 they can (still) say that the traffic reciever is integrated. It is, it's just not integrated into the 660. The GTM20 uses a newer more advanced lower power design, and that is why it was chosen to be used in the 660. Unlike the GTM 10 and 11, the GTM 20 is an all-in-one antenna, traffic receiver, and 12-volt cigarette adapter. This is why it's said to be 'integrated'. However when most people see the word 'integrated' they just assume that it means no cords are needed. In the case of the 660, the antenna would probably still be separate, even if the GTM20 circuitry was part of the 660. However this would mean retooling the GTM20, which is unlikely. This is the biggest clue that the GTM20 is simply bundled along with the Nuvi 660. It is also listed as a separate item in the package contents, which also backs this reasoning up. Later this month I'll be able to sort this all out for you in much greater detail and accuracy :)

quote:
Originally posted by Bob72
Does this mean you can tune you FM car radio to a certain frequenct and pick up the Nuvi, or do you have to also connect something to the radio?

Nothing needs to be connected to the radio. See picture below. Anything that would normally be broadcast through the Nuvi's speaker, will now be broadcast thorough your cars stereo speakers, if you turn this feature on.

quote:
It also has the intergrated traffic alert. Won't you still have to subscribe to the service?

Not for the first 3 months in the U.S.. After that you will. Throughout most of Western Europe, basic TMC data is a free public service, accessible through a number of providers. In France and the UK, premium service requires a subscription.

We should have our hands on the 660 owners manual shortly, and also the 660 itself soon, so if anyone has any specific questions about the 660, please post them and we'll try to address them as soon as we can. The 660 will be available late Sept. 2006. Around Nov./Dec. all Nuvi's will also be compatible with Mac OS X

Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  01:46:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet, where did you find this - Around Nov./Dec. all Nuvi's will also be compatible with Mac OS X ? Great news but have not seen any announced dates before.

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 07 sept. 2006 01:47:10
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  01:59:00  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It came straight from Garmin. First report was "...by the end of 2006". They have since updated that to be around November. Great news, especially since I cringe everytime I have to boot up Win XP
Go to Top of Page

Bob72

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  02:47:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is all great information. Do you think the traffic receiver would automatically be turned on for 90 days as soon as you register the 660, or would you get the option to turn it on for 90 days later if you so choose?

Nuvi 660 (Ustahave 350)
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  03:17:32  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
PLEASE don't quote message directly above - thanks

That's all going to depend on how they associate the GTM20 with the 660. If its a serial number association, then registering the 660 would register both units. If it's a simple bundling then you'd receive two registration cards, one for the 660, and one for the GTM20, and you would be able to register them separately. My guess is it will be a serial number association, as that would potentially make them more money

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 07 sept. 2006 06:43:37
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  10:44:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the C550, the premium subscription got triggered when it got it's first GPS fix with the GTM-21 connected of course, pretty convenient and 3 months gives you a lot of time to get used to it and need it ;-)

Go to Top of Page

openhelix

6 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  18:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the power adapter plug size? ie. the end that goes into the nuvi. I'm going to have a custom plug created and need this info. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  18:22:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I imagine it will/is the same as all other Nuvi systems.

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  18:28:53  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes it should be the same size as all other Nuvi's, however if chip from the GTM20 is built-in to the circuitry of the 660 and they're effectively just using the plug as antenna access, then the pin configuration will be different.
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  18:44:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I imagine it will/is the same as all other Nuvi systems.
No, it will be the same as the Streetpilot c550. If you look here http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm21/ you will see that the GTM20 and GTM21 (which are already in use for the c5x0 series) have a different connector to the Nuvi.

The big question is whether this plugs directly into the 660 (like it does on the c550), or whether it plugs into the mount (like the 3x0 series)...

Edited by - swing on 07 sept. 2006 18:48:13
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  19:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It will be in the back of the unit like all other Nuvi's (see picture below) HOWEVER, the plug will stick out more. This is more because of the plug style on the GTM20 than anything having to do with the 660. The other Nuvi's used GTM12's which have a 45 degree angle plug on them, but the GTM20 plug does not angle, and it sticks out about an inch and a half from the unit. This is for easier plug removal from the unit. We just recieved addition specs on the Nuvi 660 and it also has slightly less battery life than the other Nuvi's (3-7 vs. 4-8) but this is to be expected with its bigger screen size and FM transmitter.

Go to Top of Page

openhelix

6 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  20:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys. Great news. Can anyone tell me if the plug is a standard one? It looks fairly proprietary from the pictures (or at least unlike what I've seen previously with standard 2-pole plugs)
TIA!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  20:51:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The closest it the iPaq connector, pretty flat, I had put up a picture back then let me see if I can find it, here you go, connector is on the left. And yes the whole GTM20/21 contraption sticks out a lot, not very nice looking, on the other hand you have to be on the other side of the windhsield to see it, a bug then I guess ;-)

Go to Top of Page

openhelix

6 Posts

Posted - 07 sept. 2006 :  22:33:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the pic. Looks pretty proprietary. I may have to hack up a cord to get it to work.
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  14:53:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note that there's no antenna connection in this connector. The antenna is connected to the TMC receiver, which is located at the other end of the cable. Then there's a digital data stream between the TMC receiver and the c550 (in this case), as well as power wires for charging the c550, in the cable.

The GTM 20/21 has an independent processor, which handles the TMC reception, and reports the messages found up to the c550. There's even a specific firmware in the GTM, a firmware which, when needed, is updated through the data link between the two devices.

Needless to say, the same is true for all units using the GTM 20/21.

The GTM 20 reception sensitivity is a bit too low for remote areas in Sweden too. It's not just a problem in the UK.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  15:05:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, so that begs the question again as to why Garmin refers to an "integrated" RDS TMC receiver, it's really a "bundled" receiver, anyway...

I'm still curious how the GTM20 can work without any FM antenna or maybe it's just that it is in the power cable instead of being separate as on the GTM21.

Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's either in with the power cable, or uses the power cable itself - ie it still has an antenna, it's just not something you can wave about like the GTM21.

Given that the GTM20/GTM21 don't have the bulge on them like the GTM12 does, I think the actual FM receiver bit might well be built into the main body, so it is integrated... it's just that it won't work without an antenna, which needs plugging in ;)

Also, I don't think any SatNav unit with RDS-TMC support will work without power (except the Qtek smartphone with built in TMC - but of course, that needs the headphone cable plugged to act as the aerial, and with all smartphone / PDAs, really needs power to survive a long journey anyway) :)

I guess one day we'll get a truely integrated solution that can actually run off batteries alone.
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  17:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two things spring to mind...
1. Why is a Pedometer an "Essential Accessory"?
2. Don't Garmin actually provide a 2 year warranty in the US (I could be very wrong on this point)?
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  18:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps in their rush to set up the page they forgot to mention the two year warranty.

As for the pedometer: it might simply be the case they are suggesting we - as people who drive too much - should get out and walk some more

Patrick

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  19:18:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Use the "Hot deals...cold deals" for commercial links please.

@swing - actually the Mio C710 and ViaMichelin have everything inluded RDS TMC wise, except for the FM antenna that I don't think we'll ever be able to do withtout.

Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  20:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What/where is the "Hot deals...cold deals" section of the board?

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  20:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Swing is right regarding the 'integrated' GTM20. As mentiond previously Garmins marketing department is taking liberties with the word 'integrated'. When the normal person sees that we just naturally think they are saying the GTM20 is built-in to the Nuvi 660. However, that's not the case here. If you look at all the other traffic receivers from Garmin like the GTM 12, you'll notice the unit is much bigger and has more cable to mess with. Most of the receiver with the GTM20 is built in to the cigarette lighter plug, so it is said to be integrated (which technically it is). Garmin should be using the word 'bundled' when they talk about the GTM20, but I guess that makes too much sense
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  20:33:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ludlum, see http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=118

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 08 sept. 2006 :  20:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Rick. I'll eventually learn about all of these locations

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  01:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually if you look at the features of the StreetPilot c550 and the Nuvi 660, there isn't many differences other than the obvious size difference, and even that isn't that much. The 660 has a FM transmitter, but the SP c550 has a dedicated output jack which, for a lot of people, is even nicer. Other than the depth dimension the sizes are very close (4.9" W x 2.9" H x 0.9" D VS. 4.4" W x 3.2" H x 2.2" D). Display Resolution is better with the 660. Battery life is better with the SP c550. One clear advantage that goes to the SP c550 is that it is around $200.00 less...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  02:22:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I hope the 660 has the convenient nüvi one-tap North up map mode that disappeared on the C550 as well as the satellite status screen, the former is particularly convenient to get a sense of where you're headed.

Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  02:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They would be crazy not to include it, seeing how the 350/360 have it, but then it's crazy that they didn't include it with the c530/550. Hopefully a software update will correct this oversight :)
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  04:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Planet GPS

They would be crazy not to include it, seeing how the 350/360 have it, but then it's crazy that they didn't include it with the c530/550. Hopefully a software update will correct this oversight :)

Do you know if Garmin is cutting the wholesale price on the C550 on October 1 when they eliminate MRP?
Go to Top of Page

RedRover1

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  05:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where did you hear the Garmin is eliminating the minimum retail price by October 1? Is this for all Garmin units?
Go to Top of Page

KenF

36 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  07:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Redrover,

They are eliminating the minimum retail price, not the minimum advertised price, afaik. Takes effect October 1 for certain Garmin products.
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  10:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is good news. If the price drops sufficiently enough I will seriously consider purchasing an additional unit.

This might sound extravagant but I know of some people who have three or four different Garmin products!

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 09 sept. 2006 :  18:38:43  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KenF
Do you know if Garmin is cutting the wholesale price on the C550 on October 1 when they eliminate MRP?

I haven't heard anything about this regarding that model, but it would coincide with the release date for the 660.
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  07:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for all the fantastic insite to the Garmin Nuvi units!!!
I have been itching to buy one for almost a year. Everytime i'm about to buy...I hear about the newest release and keep putting it off.

I travel daily with work and I hate my ear piece Bluetooth, so I wanted to wait for the 360...then here comes the 660 with FM Trans.

My ?'s are... how well does the 360 Bluetooth work, are the callers voices only heard thru the Nuvi speaker? Can the callers hear you well enough? Will I be that much happier waiting to buy the 660 for the FM trans?

Thanks in advance for the help.

PS:First time ever posting in my life! How did I do?
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  08:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TampaBay
Everytime i'm about to buy...I hear about the newest release and keep putting it off.

Well it seems to have worked out to your advantage Even though the 660 is the newest Nuvi and has all the bells and whistles, it is actually also the best value (provided you include the traffic receiver). In fact from what we've seen so far, you can get a 660 (which includes the GTM20) for less than the 350 and the GTM20.

quote:
how well does the 360 Bluetooth work

Check the Garmin site to make sure your phone is listed. The bluetooth works great BUT it is only for the phone features. No other features are connected to the bluetooth.

quote:
are the callers voices only heard thru the Nuvi speaker?

That depends. When the output jack is being used all sound is routed through your stereo. When the FM transmitter is being used all sound is also routed to your stereo, although the fidelity might not be as good as with the output jack. This isn't really an issue, as MP3's won't have the full fidelity anyway, but it will still sound good. Otherwise all of the sound is routed through the units speaker, which from what I understand is bearable but isn't all that great.

quote:
Can the callers hear you well enough?

You will sound as if you were on a speakerphone. No word yet if a separate aux mic jack is going to be provided like with the SP c550.

quote:
Will I be that much happier waiting to buy the 660 for the FM trans?

That depends on what you expect from it. It should work fine, but it's more of a convenience feature so that you don't have to mess around with wires and the output jack. Next spring a new model is supposed to include an iPod jack, but no release date has officially been released yet. You'll probably hear more about this after the winter or summer CES show. You can also add a FM transmitter for around 30.00 to the 350/360 if you want. Likewise you can also use a cassette adapter if your car stereo still has a cassette unit installed. These usually cost only around 10.00.

quote:
First time ever posting in my life! How did I do?

You're doing great! We wouldn't have known you weren't a pro at this if you hadn't have told us I'll be giving a complete review of the 660 in (approx) 3 weeks. Let me know if you have any questions :)
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  10:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

No word yet if a separate aux mic jack is going to be provided like with the SP c550.
Garmin list the External Microphone as an Accessory, so it's certainly looking likely that it will be available, but like the 310/360 it might not be included in the box.
Go to Top of Page

WillyVdW

17 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  14:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet GPS wrote:
"Even though the 660 is the newest Nuvi and has all the bells and whistles,
it is actually also the best value"

Only one Via point, no means to upload routes.
IMHO, this device is only good for "A to B routing".
I am really disappointed about the lack of advanced features.
Willy
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  15:23:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it really only come with one via point and does not have the very latest mapping then there's little incentive to fork out more dosh.

Will where did you read about the one via point? I must have missed that.

Patrick

RedRover1

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  15:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the specs sheet you think they would mention it here http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi660/spec.html Nope, looks like Garmin will continue to cripple the entire functional line of the nuvi.
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  16:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. As you say no mention of via points. Very disappointing. I would have hoped Garmin would have by now taken on board what other satellite navigational systems have done in this regard, there is one that I know of who give 4 via points.

I note that battery life is suggested as 3 to 7 hours. I guess this means we will be lucky to get a couple of hours. Time will tell.

Patrick

jxk

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  16:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main page for the 660 states it's WAAS capable but the spec sheet doesn't list that. I've read through the forums here and realize that WAAS isn't that helpful, but I'd still like to know if it's definitely included.

Edited by - jxk on 10 sept. 2006 23:29:23
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  16:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jxk,

Once again I would imagine WAAS is included in the new 660 but as we have learned we can't take things for granted.

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  19:44:46  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please keep in mind that this information below is via Garmin, and they have printed other information that doesn't make sense. For example; they state that the battery life is 3 - 7 hours for the 660, BUT they also state that it is LESS wattage than the 350/360 (10 vs. 15). How could this be? More features, brighter, wider screen, but it uses less power? This obviously must be a misprint. More than likely the 660 uses 20 watts of power, which would make sense. This is why you can't use their preliminary spec sheet as a bible. With that said, yes the 660 will be WAAS enabled. Regarding Waypoints, this is controlled via MapSource, and not directly from the 660. Brief tutorials for how to use this can be found HERE. please download the correct version for your computer platform. More detailed information can be found in the MapSource Users Guide. You can create and modify routes by choosing the Route Properties dialog box. From here you can; add points to a route, rename a route, invert a route, link a URL or a file to a route, view a vertical profile for a route, view and print text directions for a auto-route and delete a route. Regarding the external mic being listed as an accessory, as swing has mentioned above it is listed. However it is also listed for the 350/360, and neither model has a mic input jack. We have contacted our Garmin source and will reply back on how Garmin expects the external mic is to be used with the Nuvis.
Go to Top of Page

hman710

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  20:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the mic. If you look at the cradle that came with your nuvi, there's a jack for the mic. The extra cradle that I ordered for my nuvi doesn't have one. So if you order an extra cradle for your nuvi, make sure it does have the mic jack on it.

nuvi 3590LMT, nuvi 750, nüvi 360(stolen) + GTM-12, StreetPilot III
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  20:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Please keep in mind that this information below is via Garmin, and they have printed other information that doesn't make sense. For example; they state that the battery life is 3 - 7 hours for the 660, BUT they also state that it is LESS wattage than the 350/360 (10 vs. 15). How could this be? More features, brighter, wider screen, but it uses less power? This obviously must be a misprint. More than likely the 660 uses 20 watts of power, which would make sense. This is why you can't use their preliminary spec sheet as a bible. With that said, yes the 660 will be WAAS enabled. Regarding Waypoints, this is controlled via MapSource, and not directly from the 660. Brief tutorials for how to use this can be found HERE. please download the correct version for your computer platform. More detailed information can be found in the MapSource Users Guide. You can create and modify routes by choosing the Route Properties dialog box. From here you can; add points to a route, rename a route, invert a route, link a URL or a file to a route, view a vertical profile for a route, view and print text directions for a auto-route and delete a route. Regarding the external mic being listed as an accessory, as swing has mentioned above it is listed. However it is also listed for the 350/360, and neither model has a mic input jack. We have contacted our Garmin source and will reply back on how Garmin expects the external mic is to be used with the Nuvis.

Excellent post. Thanks for that additional information. Most helpful.

Has a release date been confirmed yet?

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  20:40:34  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hman710

The extra cradle that I ordered for my nuvi doesn't have one. So if you order an extra cradle for your nuvi, make sure it does have the mic jack on it.

Was this new cradle ordered from Garmin? It seems odd that they wouldn't even test the unit before releasing it to the public. Have you tried contacting them and asking them for an exact replacement?

quote:

Excellent post. Thanks for that additional information. Most helpful.

Glad it helped We'll be posting more detailed 660 information toward the end of this month.
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  21:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The cradle for the 350 has no mike input. From hman's post, I guess it is included on the 360 cradle for Bluetooth functioning, but the additional one he received was apparently a 350 version.

The 660 won't have that confusion factor.

rapp

Edited by - GPSrapp on 10 sept. 2006 21:13:25
Go to Top of Page

hman710

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  21:16:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ordered mine from getfeetwet.com it was Garmin part #010-10723-04

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10723%2D04

I wasn't looking for a direct replacement. Just an extra mount for an existing mount from my SPIII.

edited for pics.

nuvi 3590LMT, nuvi 750, nüvi 360(stolen) + GTM-12, StreetPilot III

Edited by - hman710 on 10 sept. 2006 21:34:05
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  22:03:39  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is great news GPSrapp

The 660 should do the same as the 360 and so logically the mic jack will be located on the right hand side of the cradle, just behind the output jack
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  22:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great pics hman710
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  22:58:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, wonderful photos. But from what I read recently there's no need for a mike in-put with the 660 as it has a built in microphone.

I have highlighted what I read below.

HIGH SENSITIVITY INTEGRATED GPS RECEIVER
• WAAS ENABLED WITH FLIP-UP ANTENNA
• BUILT-IN TRAVEL KIT MENU INCLUDES SAMPLE LANGUAGE GUIDE, MP3 PLAYER WITH SAMPLE MP3S, AUDIBLE BOOK PLAYER WITH SAMPLE AUDIO BOOKS, PICTURE VIEWER, WORLD CLOCK, CURRENCY & MEASUREMENT CONVERTERS & CALCULATOR
• HANDSFREE BLUETOOTH(R) WIRELESS TECHNOLOGY INTERFACE
INTEGRATED MICROPHONE & SPEAKER • SIMPLY TAP THE SCREEN TO ANSWER CALLS & SPEAK DIRECTLY INTO THE UNIT'S BUILT-IN MICROPHONE
• PERSONALIZED PHONE BOOK WITH PHONE CALL HISTORY LOG
• 3D MAPPING PERSPECTIVE OR 2D OVERHEAD VIEW
• PRELOADED WITH HIGHLY DETAILED CITY NAVIGATOR NT MAPS CONTAINING DETAILED ROAD MAPS THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE UNITED STATES, CANADA & PUERTO RICO
• FEATURES NEARLY 6 MILLION POINTS OF INTERESTS INCLUDING HOTELS, RESTAURANTS, STORES, GAS STATIONS, ATMS & ATTRACTIONS
• MAP DATA PROVIDED BY NAVTEQ(TM)
• 700 MBS OF INTERNAL MEMORY FOR STORAGE OF SUPPLEMENTAL MAPS, MP3S & AUDIO BOOKS
• SD MEMORY CARD EXPANSION SLOT
• TEXT TO SPEECH UNIT
• AUDIBLE & VISUAL NAVIGATION INSTRUCTIONS & WARNINGS
• INCLUDES 12V POWER ADAPTER CABLE & SUCTION CUP MOUNT WITH EXTERNAL MICROPHONE JACK
• 4.3" WQVGA LCD SCREEN
• 480 X 272 PIXELS
• BUNDLED TRAFFIC RECEIVER INCLUDES GTM 20 OR GTM 21
• BUILT-IN FM TRANSMITTER
• PRE-INSTALLED EUROPEAN SAFETY CAMERA DATABASE FOR SPEED TRACKING
• SUCTION CUP MOUNT HAS AN 18-PIN CONNECTOR FOR
• DIM: 4.9"W X 2.9"H X .9"D
• WEIGHT: 5.8 OZ

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 10 sept. 2006 :  23:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When you use the built-in mic your callers will think you're talking in a tin-can because there will be so much echo in the sound. The advantage of using the external mic option is that it sounds more like a regular phone. You probably wouldn't need to buy Garmins mic, as all external mics are generally the same. The main thing that you want to do is to move the mic as close to you as possible. For this reason most external mics connect to the drivers sun visor.
Go to Top of Page

claude4

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  03:01:50  Show Profile  Visit claude4's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does ayone know if the screen in the 660 will be better or worse in sunlight than the 360 or C550?

Thanks,

CLaude H.

Claude H.
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  03:13:42  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 660 screen will be brighter than the 350/360. You can't compare it to the c550 because that is a anti-glare screen which would be like comparing apples with oranges. Most people love the 350/360 screen, so they should be head over heals for the 660

The 660 will also have better display resolution.
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  11:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Regarding the external mic being listed as an accessory, as swing has mentioned above it is listed. However it is also listed for the 350/360, and neither model has a mic input jack.
It's listed as an accessory on the Nuvi 310 page, and the Nuvi 360 (both of which do have a mic input jack), but the Nuvi 300/350 accessory page does not list it as an accessory.

Anyway, it's all academic, I can confirm that the 660 does definitely support the use of an external mic.

Edited by - swing on 11 sept. 2006 11:21:42
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 11 sept. 2006 :  23:01:34  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A feature not yet mentioned but very likely to have is a customized splash screen. This is how it would work. Hook the Nuvi 660 up to your computer, add your jpg image into the main Garmin drive and then simply select the image in the settings area. Select "Display" and change the splashscreen image. Now every-time that you turn on your Nuvi 660 it will display your custom image
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2006 :  02:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had the ability to change the splash screen on the Nuvi 350 for months. It works like you discribe but you don't have to have the image on the 'Garmin drive' you can also store it on the SD card as the Nuvi will ask where you have stored the file when you go to Display/Change Spashscreen

Go to Top of Page

TheOfficeMaven

USA
332 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2006 :  18:53:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already or not, but Garmin has put together a mini site for the nüvi 660 where you can check out its user interface a bit. Here's the link:

http://www.garmin.com/nuvi660/

-- MIKE
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 12 sept. 2006 :  19:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Mike. A very helpful link.

Patrick

JB2610

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  02:20:10  Show Profile  Visit JB2610's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this feature has been bantered about yet, but I find that it may be an intriguing and useful improvement for the FM transmitter. The 660 has FM frequency Auto-tune. My take on it would be that the 660 will make a determination that your current frequency selection has degraded to a point that is is no longer a viable choice and will begin to scan the FM band looking for a "quiet" frequency to use. If that is the way it works - and indeed it does work, I, for one, will be a happy camper.

Once somebody gets to test this feature a "first impression" would be appreciated.

Also - in conjuction with the new nuvi minisite is an Automotive Blog subsite:
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/automotive/index.html Info + hints, tips, etc.
JB

Go to Top of Page

RedRover1

USA
582 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  03:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it need to control the radio dial also for that to work and be convenient?

Edited by - RedRover1 on 13 sept. 2006 03:31:01
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  03:38:21  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That feature is called auto receiver tuning. It works more along the lines of a tuning lock, than a scanner. Once you find the station that you want to use, it will lock onto that frequency and keep it from drifting in and out I'll give you a full review on it in around three weeks

Edited by - Planet GPS on 13 sept. 2006 03:40:40
Go to Top of Page

JB2610

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  15:47:11  Show Profile  Visit JB2610's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RedRover1

Wouldn't it need to control the radio dial also for that to work and be convenient?

DUH...... guess I did not think that through, but then I am a great believer in "smoke and mirrors" solutions. I don't question how it works, just as long as it does, but in this case as Planet GPS has noted - it ain't gonna work that way anyway. Maybe Garmin should relabel it "Auto Lock" instead of "Auto Tune". I also did not realize that FM freqs drifted. So this "feature" is designed to fix a shortcoming and give the GPS an AFC? Kind of like buying a new car these days and seeing that a spare tire and sun visors are now listed like it is a special new free feature.

If Auto Tune helps, then more power to them.
Go to Top of Page

aliensquale

126 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  17:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you should also be able to use a wired FM receiver module that plugs into the audio out port on the Nuvi and goes into the back of the radio in your car via the antenna plug. I use this for my Sirius satellite radio. Although you might need a dedicated "FM Out" port on the back of the Nuvi for this to work.
Go to Top of Page

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  17:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes this is exactly like AFC was used in 'the old days' of FM. As to why they call it auto tune, instead of auto lock, I believe that it will tune to the first blank station that it finds and lock there, but it won't keep searching for another station if that station is ever lost. you'd have to press the button again to find another blank station. Once I review the unit I'll give details on exactly how this feature works, and how well it works. I'm sure it will be fine as long as the car radio is also good
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  17:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet,

Here in Europe Garmin have been shipping V8 for many months, not sure why you'd say on the other thread that they would only be shipping V8 next week.

And I repeat: if the 660 does not come with the new V9 pre-installed I will be very disappointed and will seriously consider purchasing another product - one that does have V9.

I appreciate that this may not be such a big thing for those who live outside of Ireland but we are currently having to endure poor mapping over here if we wish to remain with Garmin. There is another company here who DO provide full and accurate mapping for the whole country, street level, etc, and Garmin will lose many to them if they do not update things soon, ie, with this new system.

As for getting a free upgrade, is this not only the case if you have not registered the product?

Patrick

Planet GPS

369 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  18:10:27  Show Profile  Visit Planet GPS's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Click here.

Please note the Sept. 15, 2006 ship date of version 8. Today is Sept. 13th, so it hasn't even shipped yet.

It looks as is one of the European MapSources will be updating for that region of the world in the next few months.

Please note that there is no version 9 for any region of the world.

Full details of the free updates can be found here. If you are entitled to a free update, it is recommended that you take advantage of the offer immediately. Free updates usually expire on the release of a new version.
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  18:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I can suggest is that information is incorrect because V8 has been available here for ages, I am surprised to learn that officially it has yet to be released. Perplexing.

Garmin do really need to get their act together and quit this messing around with people like me who love the product [Nuvi] or they will lose out. Sure, in the grand scheme of things my money won't be missed but there are many here in Ireland just as disgruntled who may decide to look elsewhere. Navteq have already made available to Garmin the very latest maps for this country and now it is up to them [Garmin] to make these maps available to their customers. So, as I say, this new 660 should have V9. If not, well, there is always that alternative I mentioned before.

Patrick

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  19:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Planet GPS is talking about the shipment of the US map v8, not the European map v8, which, as you say, should be replaced by v9 around 1 Jan 2007 (which means I suspect the first 660s that ship will not ship with v9).
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  19:23:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you swing. That makes more sense to me.

Now, if I buy the new 660 when it becomes available - which is what I would dearly like to do - and, as you suggest, it does not come with V9, will I be entitled to a free upgrade come Jan' 2007>

Patrick

JB2610

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  19:27:31  Show Profile  Visit JB2610's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes this is exactly like AFC was used in 'the old days' of FM. As to why they call it auto tune, instead of auto lock, I believe that it will tune to the first blank station that it finds and lock there, but it won't keep searching for another station if that station is ever lost. you'd have to press the button again to find another blank station. Once I review the unit I'll give details on exactly how this feature works, and how well it works. I'm sure it will be fine as long as the car radio is also good

Planet - so, if a current freq goes bad from QRN then I push the Auto Tune button and then the GPS scans/tunes to the first available "dead air" spot, tells me what it is, I retune my FM radio and life is good again. I can live with that! That process is mo better than the way it is now. Safer for most when driving too - less fiddling with retuning, eyes off the road, etc. On a related thought - check if the FM frequency reception range is extended at either end on the unit. I will await your review down the road. Thanks.
JB
Go to Top of Page

swing

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  19:42:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Now, if I buy the new 660 when it becomes available - which is what I would dearly like to do - and, as you suggest, it does not come with V9, will I be entitled to a free upgrade come Jan' 2007
My understanding of Garmin's map upgrade policy is - no.

Garmin state they will provide a free update if you buy the SatNav unit with the old maps *after* the new map has been announced / released.

Having said that, for some units (eg Streetpilot i3 UK v7 SD map card), Garmin have provided updates for everyone. Given the 610/660 will come with the maps built in, I doubt the same option will apply.

If you want to *guarantee* getting v9 maps for free, you'll need to not buy the unit until after Garmin announce the new maps and the free upgrade program, which may be well after 1 Jan 07.

Edited by - swing on 13 sept. 2006 19:44:38
Go to Top of Page

ludlum

Ireland
164 Posts

Posted - 13 sept. 2006 :  22:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again swing. I thought I might get such an answer. I suppose I could always delay registering, but as this would be unethical it's probably best not to.

Patrick

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  02:42:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look what I bumped into today :

More pictures here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=202 !

Go to Top of Page

danham

USA
7448 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  02:52:26  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice photos and preview information.

Am I understanding correctly that the 660 does NOT have a satellite status page? Very bad idea, especially for troubleshooting lock time problems.

-dan

- Nüvi forum moderator -

Edited by - danham on 15 sept. 2006 02:59:19
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 sept. 2006 :  02:56:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks and yes, however hard I tapped on the bars it didn't come up, unlike on the 360 and the zümo, maybe they are having some scaling problems, hopefully that will get fixed.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,91 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05