Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin Advanced Navigation Systems
 [TOPIC] Garmin Zumo 550 for Bikers - Reviewed
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2006 :  17:09:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Updated December 7th

We should probably start a "review thread" at some point, but in the meantime here are some comments and pictures I took after receiving my test unit yesterday.

PICTURES

The zumo 550 in good company
The screen is brighter thant it looks in that picture

Compared to the Rider - front

Compared to the Rider - back

External MCX antenna plug, USB, 24 "pin" connector, "top plate"

A strong holder, note the "clip" on the top

The full Bike kit

Permanent bike wiring and 2A fuse

A nice casing and a "bottom plate"

COMMENTS

1. Nice overall feel and look, made to last

2. Car holder with loudspeaker and TMC connector make it a full car system

3. Software derived from the SP550 series, that means no one-tap "2D/North Up" (although two taps will get you there with the route list) and no satellite status screen. If you can't see the route liste by tapping in the instruction at the top, update to v2.30, that did it on mine that arrived with 2.20

4. Nice track recording feature split by session that is converted to .gpx upon connecting to a PC, can be seen in Google Earth easily or gpsvisualizer.com. Can be converted to a route too - need to spend more time on that

5. Innovative keyboard designed for "gloves", not as fast as standard keyboard but will help avoid mistakes:

6. Problems found :
    1. shuts off when I try to set "km per tank" - still there after update to v2.30
    2. [gimmewhiskey] : audio out is mono on bike holder

[*]TBC

Updated September 15th : close encounter with the zumo -> >> HERE <<

http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/

Original Post by RFtinkerer

On offer :
-SiRFstarIII
- Bluetooth Handsfree
- Amplified car holder
- Trafic Information via RDS or XM
- IPX7 waterproof grade
- $1,076 MSRP

Not sure where to put this, but Garmin's released the Zumo, a GPS for motorcycles.

http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/071906.html

Ads

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2006 :  17:33:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice find, nice name ;-) I'll add some info to your message.

magus

37 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2006 :  22:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why the zumo will be a TT Rider Killer:

- says street names
- US weather and traffic
- fuel limit indicator
- pre-ride route planning!-
- better integration with applications such as www.motionbased.com
- should be better support for accesories like car mount, battery cables etc...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2006 :  22:26:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We shall see...in the meantime I wonder how this fuel limit indicator can work, is it just an estimate ? I doublt it comes with a "dipstick" of sorts ;-)

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 19 juil. 2006 :  23:16:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine the fuel estimator program is similar to what Streets & Trips uses: manually entered mileage for highway and city roads as well as the bike tank capacity and then calculate the fuel remaining based on these values. If it was based on current actual speed and not the rated speeds for the roads (like they appear to do for the arrival times) it will be more functional.
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2006 :  01:59:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it will be a rider killer because rider is comming out with version 6 that has some of these features.

a. says street names (version 6 does this)

b. weather & traffic (version 6 does this but it is extra butit is also an option on the Zumo)

c. fuel indicator (version 6 does not do this but niether does the zumo 550. It will basicly ask you what size gas tank & how many miles you get per gallon and do a calculation)

d. pre route planning (version 6 does this with "home")

e. car mount (an option on the rider & a sucky one at that)

f. bluetooth headset ( standard on the rider not even an option on the zumo)

this is my openion. I am in the market for a bike GPS having used my friends rider I would consider the zumo only because it is really the only comp. but for a $1000 when the rider can be had for 720.00 might be tuff

Edited by - raaaaaa on 20 juil. 2006 02:09:17
Go to Top of Page

OWG

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2006 :  03:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
this is my openion. I am in the market for a bike GPS having used my friends rider I would consider the zumo only because it is really the only comp. but for a $1000 when the rider can be had for 720.00 might be tuff

Garmin units rarely sell for the suggested retail. I would expect to see it retail in the 800's.
Go to Top of Page

meyerweb

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2006 :  05:50:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new TomTom would have to be a MAJOR improvement for me to even consider it. I'd choose (in fact I DID choose) any current waterproof Garmin over the exising Rider.

Bob Meyer
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minutes of it.
Go to Top of Page

va7bc

Canada
10 Posts

Posted - 20 juil. 2006 :  21:17:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just about to purchase a Nuvi today when Garmin announced the Zumo. The Zumo intrigues me with its off road capability. If it had an integrated speaker, it would be my choice over the Nuvi for car use.

This makes me put off my purchase decision (yet again) until I see if any the Zumo features (re off road) become integrated into the Nuvi

Greg
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 28 juil. 2006 :  21:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, you can register to win a free Zumo here:
http://www.garmin.com/products/zumo/freeride.html

more about it here as well:
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/07/zm_zm_zm.html
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2006 :  00:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by TAZ-Man in the Nuvi forum

While the Zumo looks promising in many areas the lack of internal speaker is a non starter for me if I read that correctly somewhere. It appears the speaker is in the automotive mount. Would suck to use on my bicycle. It also looks a little bulky too. I already bought a RAM mount for my Nuvi. The mount must weigh 3 times what the Nuvi does!

The Nuvi with a REAL interface would be a great product. As it is now...well to I am disappointed is an understatement. It was priced as a prosumer product and its options aren't cheap. Lets keep up the pressure on Garmin tech support and keep them moving along!!!!

Rick James - Nuvi Forum Moderator
Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<
2014 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT AWD

Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2006 :  00:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by TheOfficeMaven in the Nuvi forum

Hi Taz,

Yes, you are correct in that there's no internal speaker on the Zumo. The reason for this is because the unit is water proof (for use on a motorcycle) and so there's no way to have a speaker on the unit itself. Garmin put the speaker in the power cord (or on the mount itself) instead. Kind of a bummer in my book too.

I could live with this if there was at least a 3.5 mm audio out jack on the unit, but unfortunately, that's on the mount as well. Thus, it look like the only way to use the Zumo on your bike is with a silly Bluetooth headset. How weird is that!!!

Nuvi 350 - Nuvi 760 - Nuvi 1695LM - Nuvi 3790LMT (with ecoRoutes HD) - Nuvi 2460LMT - Nuvi 3597LMTHD (with ecoRoutes HD) also TomTom 540S for side by side comparison >> Here <<

Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7762 Posts

Posted - 18 août 2006 :  00:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by TAZ-Man in the Nuvi forum

Yet another blown opportunity I think. A little stereo mini-plug for audio out would have been easy to do and still be pretty water resistant if you put it under a plug. It works for my weatherproof radios just fine on my boat. I hope that Garmin gets other people involved in their design process of focus groups than they currently have. I think they are operating in a vacuum. I ride motorcycles a lot so I'd be interested in this but it looks like it might have fatal flaws too for me.

As for the BT headset, most of them have such low volume as to be mostly unusable if the environment is even slightly noise. I have gone through a bunch of them for my phone and only one Plantronics is moderately loud. I can hear it in my helmet on my motorcycle at 70-80 mph but none of my Motorolas are audible over 40. I don't have any loud exhausts either. I could hear my TTGO when mounted on my bike pretty well.

The Nuvo BETTER have speed sensitive volume control or a lot of people WILL hate Garmin. Nothing worse than having a headset that is way too loud when you come to a stop on a motorcycle except for maybe a bee, hornet or wasp flying up the sleeve of your jacket while going at a high rate of speed. How many people want to bet against me that Garmin WON'T have speed sensitive volume control. Based on my past Garmin experience it won't be on it and will definitely need it.
Go to Top of Page

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 sept. 2006 :  02:22:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Look at what I bumped into yesterday :

Pictures and comments here : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=202&page=2

"The big news on the zûmo is the route menu of course that many have missed since Garmin launched the new UI on the C320 in early 2005. I wasn't able to check the format of these routes, but I would assume they are created/compatible with the ubiquitous MapSource, whih would of course require Garmin to ship the zûmo with CD/DVDs of the maps, something they have unfortunately stopped doing concurrent with the launch of the new UI. The screens above show that the "active log" can be used as a route, the old "trackback" feature I suppose, but I didn't find a menu to control the way the log is recorded."

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 sept. 2006 :  22:56:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adding a picture taken at the Mondial 2006 car show in Paris, a feature I had missed two weeks agon, a "scrolling" keyboard to type with a glove :

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

z3bum

35 Posts

Posted - 07 oct. 2006 :  22:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want a Speed/direction/odometer screen like the Zumo for the Nuvi! Come on Garmin, add some more Nuvi options!
Mike

Trimble Ensign -> Magellan -> Garmin GPS III+ -> Garmin Etrex Vista -> Garmin GPSMAP 76s -> Garmin Quest -> Garmin Rino 530 -> Garmin Nuvi 360
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 09 oct. 2006 :  18:19:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use SP III and 2730 units now with the audio output wired thru to my bike's stereo system so I can listen to turn information. I have been doing this for many years now. If the Zumo can't somehow be setup with a direct wired audio connection it will likely kill my interest in this unit.

Come on Garmin, what's the big deal with adding an audio output jack on the unit or does it actually have one that we don't know about yet, is there an audio jack on the motorcycle mount or is it just a passive mount?

Edited by - florida1 on 10 oct. 2006 01:00:46
Go to Top of Page

dirtbeard

12 Posts

Posted - 10 oct. 2006 :  18:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm sure i read (and saw a picture) that it has a 3.5 audio out built into the mount so you can patch cord it to an audio in... i'll keep looking.
Go to Top of Page

Wangta01

4 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  07:36:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the Zumo 550 will work with the third-party mapsource developers? I am interested in biking around Korea this spring, and would be interested in buying the maps from Neve Corp in Korea. They are listed on the garmin page here:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mpc/#Korea

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  12:20:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far all Garmin units have been compatible with MapSource maps, so most likely yes, but until someone tries, only Garmin can say for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Wangta01

4 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  15:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Garmin uses maps for another country, how exactly does it work? Does the user interface suddenly use the foreign language - IE: Would the menus change to Russian or French, etc?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  15:29:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, the interface stays what it is, only the map data changes, you might only run into problems for maps using different alphabets I guess.

Go to Top of Page

Wangta01

4 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  15:37:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
NO NEED TO QUOTE A MESSAGE DIRECTLY ABOVE YOURS, SERVER SAYS THANKS ;-)
Well that would be a proble since Korean uses a totally different alphabet! Has anybody ever used their american Garmin with say, maps of Japan?
Go to Top of Page

sgovaker

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  23:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if the Zumo 550 can be connected directly to the bike's existing audio system? I have a 2007 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic and want a Zumo if it will give the route directions through the bike's audio system. Thanks.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 oct. 2006 :  23:25:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What kind of audio inputs do you have on your bike ?

Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  02:21:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

What kind of audio inputs do you have on your bike ?

he has a 3.5mm audio plug in front of the radio, my friend has the same bike.
Go to Top of Page

sgovaker

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  02:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Harley Ultra Classoc has a factory installed Harmon Kardon 80 watt audio system with 4 speakers and a jack to plug in a helmet headset. It has AM/FM/CB radio and XM radio as well. If I can connect the ZUmo 550 to the audio system so that route directions come through the speakers/headset and automatically mute the radio then I'd be riding in style.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

sgovaker

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  02:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Raaaaaa. I omitted the 3.5 input jack. But I would prefer a more permanent installation if possible to avoid wires running all over the place. Does the Zumo have its own speaker?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Wangta01

4 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  02:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it doesn't have a speaker - thats why there is a speaker imbedded in the included car attachment.
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  02:37:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in a bind, I have a Fatboy that I take on long rides with. in the past I use to use a Ipaq with a Bluetooth GPS and a wired one for backup running tom-tom and some other software for backup. I been using tom-tom for a while in my car (300,700 and know the 910) I have used other platforms (nuvi 350) but nothing ever stuck like tom-tom. my friend has the rider on his bike and we have been using it for a year now (noticed how I said WE) although I have never mounted it on my bike I seem to be the on using it on trips. I will be buying one for my bike for this upcoming season (I don't ride in the cold so this season is done for me) and want the best, especially on my bike. even though it is not out can someone tell me on paper which one is the right one remember on paper cause this thing is not out.

please do not compare prices cause the rider has been out for a while and it can be had online for about 710-750 and the gamin while price high typically goes online for allot cheaper take a look at the Nuvi 660 just came out and is suppose to be for around 1076.00 and it is out at buy.com for 750.00
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  02:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgovaker

Thanks, Raaaaaa. I omitted the 3.5 input jack. But I would prefer a more permanent installation if possible to avoid wires running all over the place. Does the Zumo have its own speaker?

nice! I like the way you think, my freind opted for later and it looks bad, he has an mp3 player and a sirius sat system and he is always pulling out jacks and exchanging the with one another. horrible......
out

Edited by - raaaaaa on 17 oct. 2006 02:43:18
Go to Top of Page

sgovaker

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  18:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ride all year, call me crazy, but riding's my therapy. I live in Chicago and I'm riding to Phoenix and then on to Mexico next month. If you're dressed right the weather isn't a factor, however snow and ice are problems for handling so I like to avoid that stuff. I hope I can get a good GPS system on my bike that's built in so I don't have wires all over the place. Harley sells a factory installed GPS but it sucks and it's $1100. And worst of all it doesn't work in Canada and I ride up there a lot every summer. I figure if they can wire theirs directly to the audio system then why can't I?

Steve
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 oct. 2006 :  22:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me, I am the opposite I don't ride in the cold I am in NJ so we get maybe 6 months of riding, so I take full advantage. Me & my girlfriend just came back from sturgis for the 3rd year in a row, and last year we rode from Jersey to Cali going the long way down south through Texas and Las Vegas then up route 1 in Cali the ending up in South Dakota (sturgis) and then heading home. we did it in 19 days (stayed extra days in Las Vegas)

We could not have done it without tom-tom GPS we rode 12 hour days but no complaints cause it was all about the ride. what was great was that you can get lost without getting lost, we visited tones of places and parks along the way because we could.

Your are correct about the Harley GPS systems horrible pieces of junk by comparison. a couple of my friends have them and after spending a weekend riding with them (nova Scotia) those GPS ended up on Ebay.

I am getting a specific Motorcycle GPS this spring so the timing is good for the Zumo (not liking the name) I have a couple of months to see and compare the two.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 oct. 2006 :  12:14:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dirtbeard

i'm sure i read (and saw a picture) that it has a 3.5 audio out built into the mount so you can patch cord it to an audio in... i'll keep looking.
No picture, but one guy saw the the 3.5mm connector on an actual unit at a tradeshow in France, so it's there !

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2006 :  13:15:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Picture posted by apersson850 in another thread. Looking bright !

Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 27 oct. 2006 :  21:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you speculating previously in this thread:

There's no speaker in the Zumo, no.
The Zumo has four connectors in itself:
SD-card.
Mini-USB.
External antenna.
Cradle connection.

Since you can't really use the Zumo on the bike without the bike cradle, I don't see any point in having a 3.5 mm audio plug in the Zumo itself.
However, the motorcycle cradle has these connections:
12 VDC input, for power.
Mini-USB for XM radio or GTM 12 TMC receiver.
3.5 mm audio out.
2.5 mm microphone in.

It does indeed support a USB headset as well, if you prefer that. It supports a BT phone too, simultaneously.

One advantage of this is that the only cable you may need to disconnect, when removing the Zumo, is the antenna. And you don't need the antenna unless in a car with coated windscreen. Otherwise, the SiRFstar chip will find signals virtually everywhere.

Then the car mount has a speaker, audio in and out, XM/TMC mini-USB and the same connector as the c550/Nüvi 660, for power only or power and TMC.

Anders

Edited by - apersson850 on 20 févr. 2007 13:57:37
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 oct. 2006 :  00:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dam!! I am in between Motorcycle GPS's and was leaning towards the rider, but this 550 is starting to look Good. Hope it is out soon
Go to Top of Page

Flying Ace

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  03:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if you can add/update the Zumo with Garmin .rgn files?

Harley has their dealer database that these files can be loaded into a Quest or Quest2, but I'm not sure about the Zumo.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 nov. 2006 :  04:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always use the Harley POI provided by POIUSA provided by comunity here at GPSpassion.com
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2006 :  12:49:09  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes !

@apersson850 - catching up with this thread, so no 3.5mm audio jack on the Zumo, wonder where that guy saw it at the Paris Car Show then, maybe an earlier design, is that the 500 or 550 you have ?

Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2006 :  18:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is a 550, but I think the difference is only the map coverage and that the 550 is delivered with the car cradle as well.

I don't know what someone has seen before, but it's a fact that there are 3.5 mm audio out sockets on both cradles, but not on the Zumo itself. Perhaps a confusion with the MCX connector for the antenna?

I haven't tried it yet, but I noticed a small hole on the car cradle, a hole that's likely to be a microphone for handsfree operation.

Anders

Edited by - apersson850 on 06 nov. 2006 18:14:32
Go to Top of Page

ykli

France
61 Posts

Posted - 06 nov. 2006 :  19:16:48  Show Profile  Visit ykli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a 3.5 mm jack output on both craddles.
http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/11/chets_corner_mo.html

Regards
--
Philippe

--
Philippe
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 07 nov. 2006 :  20:00:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that's what I wrote, too.
I've got it confirmed that there is a microphone in the car cradle, so it will do as a handsfree unit, even if an external microphone will make the sound better.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

tron_1

117 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2006 :  01:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anders,
How do you have the data overlay on the 3600 or is that 3600A? Looks like the overlay feature on the 376C and 478C.

Tron_1
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2006 :  03:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bellow is a link to engadgets on the floor tour of garmins show floor in chicago, can someone spot the Zumo
http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/10/on-the-floor-of-garmins-chicago-flagship/

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/10/on-the-floor-of-garmins-chicago-flagship/

Edited by - raaaaaa on 11 nov. 2006 10:57:57
Go to Top of Page

tron_1

117 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2006 :  04:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's in the second pic and third.

Tron_1
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 nov. 2006 :  10:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
freinds have been dying to go to boston to hang out. I could use that as an excuse to check out the new store
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2006 :  04:19:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
apersson850
Do you have an electronic copy of the user manual? It's not yet posted on Garmin's site...another question -- does it have all the routing features of the 27/28XX series or can you only have one via point? The prototype manual only lists one via point, which doesn't sound quite right to me.
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2006 :  17:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Zumo can handle up to 200 via-points in a route.
I haven't used any Streetpilot 27xx/28xx, so I don't know if everything from these units is covered. But there are new route/track related features in the Zumo, which the older units don't support.
But it's not in the manual I have, so I have learned about that from other sources.

The new Garmin store is in Chicago, not Boston.

Not that it has anything to do with the Zumo, but the iQue data overlay is a feature only the 3600a supports.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2006 :  22:27:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah Chicago, that's what I meant, imagine showing up in wrong state
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 13 nov. 2006 :  23:50:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Need a GPS, maybe?

Anders
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 14 nov. 2006 :  02:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Na! my 910 just rerouted me taking the long way
Go to Top of Page

ykli

France
61 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  07:58:47  Show Profile  Visit ykli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On Garmin website the manuals of the Zumo are available for download.

--
Philippe
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  10:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nice find!
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  10:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got the manual and quick setup guide, the mount is not very "OEM" it is very "after market" looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen form "ram mount.com" but ram mounts are very good mounts so it will work.

battery life says 4 hours, not great.

unit has a calibration screen option don't think this will get any use

As I thought the fuel gauge is basically a glorified trip reset button. it does what we all do now rest our trip meter every time we get gas because we know how many miles our bike gets per gallon & per tank.

that's what I got from the first couple of pages nothing really shocking nor discerning, YET!
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  10:47:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
another thing I notice on page 39 (45 of 70) under safe node
you can turn On or OFF the "safe mode" which basically disable most of the on screen options while you are in motion.

The Tom-tom Rider does not have this option, it is always ON which on a trip with more than 2 people is real annoying. Having to pull over and stop all the time sucks. my friend almost threw his rider onto on coming traffic on time cause of this "feature"
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  10:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry fo rthe multiple post I just kept reading....

the Car mount is much more profesional looking it is like the nuvi 350 mount.

another nice touch , replacable battery, this is one unit I will rpobably keep for a while and if the batter starts to go it's nice to know I don't have to send it back to the manufacture for them to replace the battery.
Go to Top of Page

ykli

France
61 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  14:05:18  Show Profile  Visit ykli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The automatic recalculation of the current route cannot be disabled :-(

--
Philippe
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 17 nov. 2006 :  15:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting that you think the car mount looks more professional than the bike mount, since they are almost identical. The only difference is the added caps for water resistance on the bike mount, and the absence of speaker and microphone.

Why a lawsuit? When RAM delivers the parts for the mount they'll hardly drag their customer (Garmin) to court???

When using the unit, in car or bike, it's powered via the mount. The battery is useful if you plan routes, sitting at your kitchen table, to keep it powered when you start your engine, if external power is interrupted then, and so on. Would be a very bad engine if it takes more than four hours to start it.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2006 :  16:27:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the Zumo 550 in front of me now...very nice unit indeed. I'l post a review in a bit...already spent like the last 6 hours putting it through its paces. Raaaaa -- lawsuit? What, are you kidding? RAM supplies the mounts to Garmin...it is a RAM Mount. Why don't you get a unit and then tell us what you find and think? Anyone can read a manual, wrong.
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 18 nov. 2006 :  16:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ZX,

Look forward to hearing what you think about the Zumo, especially what it might do better or worse than the 2730 or 2820 units.
Go to Top of Page

razorbiker

3 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2006 :  00:43:17  Show Profile  Visit razorbiker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually, the 2730 has been discontinued...there are still lots of them out there, but it was discontinued when the Zumo was released.

RB

Razorbiker
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2006 :  02:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
razor,

And your point is?
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2006 :  08:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know ram mount supplied the mout for garmin. I guess that is why I thought the stole the desing from them.
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19 nov. 2006 :  08:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are you going to use it on a motorcycle or a car?
Go to Top of Page

ZX14NINJA

Canada
1010 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2006 :  05:13:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be used for my bikes only; I use the 660 in my vehicles and that is a better choice of GPS for car/truck. I am preparing a review of the product which I will post within 48 hours...
Go to Top of Page

razorbiker

3 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2006 :  05:56:40  Show Profile  Visit razorbiker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by florida1

razor,

And your point is?

I assumed you were interested in the Zumo vs 2730 and was only stating that the 2730 can be 1) purchased fairly cheaply in a month or so and/or 2) the Zumo will do most of what the 2730 will do and is the latest model out for bikes.

That's about it.

RB

Razorbiker
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2006 :  11:20:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we look forward to your review hope you remain unbiased seeing that you have a 660 already. would not hate on if you did I use a 910 and have some experience with a friends rider, and I am in the market for one for my motorcycle. even though I have a long history with tom-tom (since they first released there first GPS software for the PPC here in the US) I am and have always looked for the best product available so once again I do look forward to your take on the Zumo.

by the way where did you get yours? on or a store?

Edited by - raaaaaa on 20 nov. 2006 11:22:04
Go to Top of Page

Lemerou

16 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2006 :  11:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a look on the manual / specifications :
Temperature range: 32°F to 140°F
(0°C to 60°C)

0°C seems a bit short for a bike usage ?

Edited by - Lemerou on 20 nov. 2006 11:36:38
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2006 :  14:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about you but I can not ride in anything colder than 60 degrees ( dont like wearing coats on my bike)
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 nov. 2006 :  14:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this might sound like a stupid question but on the first picture of this post the Zumo has a car as the cursor in the picture, but in other pictures I've seen it is a motorcycle. can you change it back and forth?
Go to Top of Page

Flying Ace

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  00:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raaaaaa

this might sound like a stupid question but on the first picture of this post the Zumo has a car as the cursor in the picture, but in other pictures I've seen it is a motorcycle. can you change it back and forth?

Yes you can. You can also download other vehicles from Garmin web site.

Overall, it's a nice unit, but some of the features of my old Quest are missing, like details that you can adjust in the map display and I can't figure out how to (if you can)make your POI's or "Favorites" show on the map all of the time.
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  00:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cool feature!!!

Go to Top of Page

dirtbeard

12 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  03:21:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the things I like about my Garman V Plus is the trip Computer with changeable fields - anything like this in the Zumo?

Edited by - dirtbeard on 21 nov. 2006 03:24:25
Go to Top of Page

Flying Ace

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  03:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

One of the things I like about my Garman V Plus is the trip Computer with changeable fields - anything like this in the Zumo?

As far as I can tell, you can't change the fields on the Zumo.
Go to Top of Page

dirtbeard

12 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  19:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Ace

quote:

As far as I can tell, you can't change the fields on the Zumo.

I was afraid they had dumbed it down some when I saw they no longer call them "waypoints" --- Then I see it has "trip information" instead of trip computer - does anyone know what fields "trip information" has? I suppose they deleted "elevation" --- hmmmm... maybe I can run my Garmin V and the Zumo side by side...

One final rant - why "speed" - don't I already have a device to tell me my speed built in to my car and scoot?

Edited by - dirtbeard on 21 nov. 2006 20:21:51
Go to Top of Page

Norb

40 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  20:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because the thing built into your vehicle is usually up to 10% wrong, at a steady speed, your gps is less than 1% wrong at legal road speeds and the policeman with the hairdryer wants to take money off you
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 21 nov. 2006 :  23:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I second that. cars are always off by more than 2 miles
Go to Top of Page

dirtbeard

12 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2006 :  00:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
true enough - but if the speed on my V Plus is as accurate as the elevation... anyway, I think I'll reconsider the Quest 2 - it still has the trip computer as far as I can tell...
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 22 nov. 2006 :  11:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They got so many comments about the speed missing on the c550. It takes one full key tap to display it. That was too much.
I think it's a pity, since it obscures more of the map.

No, you can't configure any data fields on the Zumo.

It hasn't been much cooler than 0°C here yet, so I can't comment on that.

Anders
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2006 :  04:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a thread that also has some good Zumo user information in it: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1160776801/0

Edited by - florida1 on 24 nov. 2006 18:58:55
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 23 nov. 2006 :  07:03:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the link! some detailed pics there
Go to Top of Page

gimmewhiskey

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2006 :  17:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got mine four days ago, but I have already loaded 150 songs on a 1 GB SD card, connected to my verizon v710 phone, and entered the Harley Davidson dealer POI locations. I love everything about the unit except for 2 issues:

1) The power supply for the motorcycle mount must be hard wired; there is no input for a cigarette lighter connection like there is on the supplied auto mount. I consider this a major design flaw for several reasons:

a) The bluetooth functionality won't work on just the Zumo battery alone, so you need to hardwire the connection to get important features.

b) When your remove the motorcycle mount, the hard wired power cable is still hanging out there, and there is no cap to put on the hot connector end. This means it will corode and possible short out in the rain.

c) It can be difficult and very time consuming to set up the hard wired connections on a bike like mine ( touring Harley Davidson ). Garmin says the unit is ready to use out of the box, but for the bike the wiring issue means this is not really true.

2) There is on way to attach a lanyard or rope to the unit in case it pops out of the case while on battery power. Garmin should change the case so you can attach a restraining wire.

With the MP3 player I no longer need to bring along my IPOD on long trips. The bluetooth phone setup is fun to play with but I'm not sure how much I will really use it. Overall I am very happy with the unit so far.
- gimmewhiskey ( first post )
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2006 :  18:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Adapting the hardwire with a cigarette lighter or removeable plug is easy to do.

Have a look at paragraph C. of the attached thread for various Harley Davidson GPS hardwire options, they would be the same for the Zumo: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57448 There is some other worthwhile Harley related GPS information there as well.

Edited by - florida1 on 24 nov. 2006 18:58:26
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 24 nov. 2006 :  23:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
those are some real concerns, especially do to the fact that they will never be addressed until they make a newer one
Go to Top of Page

gimmewhiskey

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2006 :  00:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another big disappointment is that the 35mm output of the motorcycle mount is mono, which means only the left speakers on your bike will get any voice commands or mp3 music. You can get a stereo-to-mono adapter (which will have the sound come out both or all four speakers if you have them ), but the sound won't be in stereo. Bad news for the Harley owners with the new fancy radio.

I have no idea why Garmin did this; the automotive mount 35mm output is stereo, the bike mount is not.
- gimmewhiskey
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2006 :  05:27:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
obviously not with a big FLH (touring) in mind. if you see all the promotion on the zumo it is geared toward the Japanese bikes. even in the store opening in Boston (not that I was there) the have a bike on display with the zumo on it that belongs to Jay Leno. anyone who rides knows that jay leans toward the Harley's but they chose to display it on a bike that Mr. leno does not ride.

obviously he love all motorcycles and every single one has it's attributes.
Go to Top of Page

apersson850

Sweden
1274 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  01:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just in case some reader, who haven't seen the Zumo, noticed what you wrote, it's really a 3.5 mm sound output.
It does not look like a small cannon...

Anders
Go to Top of Page

smiffer

13 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  02:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone having any problems with the Zumo bluetooth? My wife's Motorola 710 works fine but my Motorola Q connects via bluetooth then immediately says Phone Disconnected. Anyone else have a similar issue?
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  09:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
verizon phone are notorious for not working via Bluetooth, on the tom-tom rider the v710 is the only phone that works under verizon with that unit. it is because after that phone verizon started locking down the Bluetooth "dun" capabilities.
Go to Top of Page

vmaxed

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  13:25:49  Show Profile  Visit vmaxed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smiffer

anyone having any problems with the Zumo bluetooth? My wife's Motorola 710 works fine but my Motorola Q connects via bluetooth then immediately says Phone Disconnected. Anyone else have a similar issue?

My LG 8300 on Verizon works fine

Ed
Go to Top of Page

smiffer

13 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  15:47:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an FYI the Moto Q does work with the Zumo. Took about a dozen tries but the connection establishes now and stays connected. My Q has been giving me a few problems since I installed MS Voice Command so I'm guessing anyone else should have no problems.

Edited by - smiffer on 26 nov. 2006 15:53:23
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 26 nov. 2006 :  17:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just to clarify also verizon phones work on the rider also but they do not let you use the "plus" services that tomtom offers (traffic weather etc...)
getting the phone connected and using it to dial phone numbers it does fine, it is using the internet capabilities of the phone that verizon locks out.
I dont see zumo having these problems because they do not offer such service.
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  15:28:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2004 Ultra and am pondering a Zumo but have a few questions and am hoping someone can answer from experience. when using the 3.5mm cable to attach the audio to my bike radio I understand the voice directions will only play out the left speakers. BUT does the music from my bikes radio continue to play out all 4 speakers until such time that the zumo gives a voice command or does the music only play out the right side speakers?

Chief
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  15:57:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The GPS audio from the Zumo hooks up to the Aux input jack on the front of the Harley radio, that input is controlled by the handlebar radio Mode switch. The only thing that will automatically override the GPS audio in this setup is your CB radio. To hear other radio sources such as FM,WX etc. you will have to manually switch to them with the mode switch. When listening to FM/WX etc. you will not hear the GPS audio. You can get GPS audio to all four speakers by adding inexpensive Radio Shack adapter part number 274-374 to the end of the Zumo cable that attaches to the radio.

By adding additional equipment it is possible to have an integrated audio setup that will combine GPS/FM/WX signals etc. so that you can have the GPS audio automatically override the other audio sources. Check out paragrph G. of the attached thread for details. The attached thread also discusses installing other Garmin GPS models on Harley Ultra's and has some good general installation information that pertains to the Zumo as well:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57448

Edited by - florida1 on 29 nov. 2006 16:22:26
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florida, thanks for your help. I have read that other thread you posted several times and am almost thoroughly confused! Not quite but close! I love the idea of a GPS on my bike but wont give up my music or start wearing a helmet just so I can hear voice directions! I have looked at the units on the link you provided, which one do you reccommend?

Thanks again for your help!
Cheif

Chief
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  17:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florida,
I have researched how to get what I want and am not willing to part with that much money! Almost as much as the zumo is!
So my next question is will the zumo send voice directions to a bluetooth earpeace without a headset and without using the cellphone? I am not interested in the mp3 or cellphone options on the zumo, I ride to get away from work and the cellphone!

Thanks

Chief
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  19:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chief,

For what you want and if I had to buy a GPS today it would be the recently discontinued Garmin 2730. It includes an XM radio reciever which you can listen to thru your bike radio while riding and the GPS voice overrides the XM when appropriate. It hooks up to your bike radio with one simple cable and will render sound from all four speakers with this hook up. It is priced quite well on the net now (Google).

I have not had a Zumo in my hands yet so I really can't answer questions about it. The Zumo will apparently function the same way as the 2730 with respect to the XM interface. I would certainly wait until we see user reports confirming that the Zumo is in fact better overall than the Garmin 2730/2720/2820 units for motorcycle use. There are some potential advantages with the Zumo like SIRF, brighter screen,internal battery etc. I am also a potential Zumo buyer.

Edited by - florida1 on 02 déc. 2006 13:36:57
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  20:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florida,
Thanks again for your input. I saw on one website where you can only add one via point to a route but in the zumo owners manual it shows how to add more via points. It also shows after further reading that you can send the zumo voice directions to a bluetooth earpiece, still not sure how well that would work though having never used one of those things. I like the text to speech and the battery operation of the zumo and that you can preplan routes.

I was looking at the mounts for the zumo, car vs bike and really cant see why you couldnt use the car mount with its built in speaker on the bike? Taking a chance of rain of course but most of us try to avoid riding in the rain anyway.

Again thanks for your help! This forum has given me tons of information on the zumo as well as other options.

Chief
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  20:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone comment on how well a Bluetooth earpiece works on a bike without a helmet, does it stay in at higher speeds ok, does it create wind noise at higher speeds, can you wear sun glasses with it, is it uncomfortable over time, does it irritate in any way?

Edited by - florida1 on 29 nov. 2006 23:13:55
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  20:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Florida!

HEY! I just thought of something! IF the zumo will interupt its own mp3 player to give voice commands then this thing just might work for me. I seldom listen to the radio am or fm and have xm in my car but am tired of the commercials. I have a 12 disc changer in my tour pack but if I used the MP3 player I could load all my music on the zumo and eliminate the disc changer, giving me more room in the tour pack (making momma happy) and I could still listen to music and get my voice prompts for directions.
You are a genius man! Keep up the great job!

Chief
Go to Top of Page

Curt

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 29 nov. 2006 :  23:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gimmewhiskey

Another big disappointment is that the 35mm output of the motorcycle mount is mono, which means only the left speakers on your bike will get any voice commands or mp3 music. You can get a stereo-to-mono adapter (which will have the sound come out both or all four speakers if you have them ), but the sound won't be in stereo. Bad news for the Harley owners with the new fancy radio.

I have no idea why Garmin did this; the automotive mount 35mm output is stereo, the bike mount is not.
- gimmewhiskey

I can't find anything in Garmin's documentation that states that the 3.5mm output on the motorcycle mount is mono. I haven't had any issues with music coming out of all my speakers using the aux input on my HU.
Go to Top of Page

gimmewhiskey

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2006 :  01:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the motorcycle mount I have the output is mono. I can get the unit to play through all four speakers by using a small connector on the cycle mount that converts mono to two channels. Other wise the sound only comes out of two speakers. Others have documented this also; it is very interesting your system is working different. If I test using the automotive mount, the sound comes out of all speakers in true stereo.

One problem with using the automotive mount on the bike is that the back of the automotive mount incorporates the windshield suction cup. I don't see a easy way to remove that portion of the mount and replace it with a receptical for the RAM mount. Also the speaker on the back of the automotive mount would not be loud enough for you to hear it if it was mounted on the bike.
Go to Top of Page

Curt

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2006 :  23:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never really checked to see if the music was coming out in stereo - I just assumed it was. I've looked over the documentation several times and couldn't find anything about it one way or the other. I'm using a 3.5mm to 3.5mm patch cable directly to a Chrysler iPod/aux input adapter in my Jeep. Music and navigation plays on all speakers.

Do you think there's a possibility of a bad run of motorcycle mounts? Has anyone asked Garmin?
Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2006 :  23:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is simple, the device is geared tward motorcycle riders and garming does not think that they need to hear directions in stereo.
Go to Top of Page

ykli

France
61 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2006 :  07:49:05  Show Profile  Visit ykli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Curt
I tried last night, the output of the motorcyle mount is stereo for the music.

--
Philippe
Go to Top of Page

Curt

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2006 :  16:39:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What did you use to test ykli? I was going to take an MP3 and manually fade it between the left and right channels and play it from an SD card. I haven't had a chance to try that yet.

I've been listening to XM a lot. Unfortunately, channel separation on XM doesn't seem to be the best, especially on Garmin equipment. I noticed it seemed to be the same way on my 2730.

I really don't want to be forced to use the automotive mount if I don't have to. I have the motorcycle mount hard-wired into my ZJ and the installation looks fairly clean. Since the automotive mount doesn't allow for permanent mounting, it wouldn't look nearly as good.

Edited by - Curt on 04 déc. 2006 16:41:46
Go to Top of Page

ykli

France
61 Posts

Posted - 04 déc. 2006 :  23:15:24  Show Profile  Visit ykli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Curt
I used a corded stereo headphone, and mp3 files on a SD card.

--
Philippe
Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 05 déc. 2006 :  22:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just ran out to my Zumo bike mount, and did a non-scientific test on the audio out jack. I just plugged in some Shure earbuds, and the sound is "stereo" I just played some MP3's and i can hear the different sounds from the L + R earphones. The backing voices along with the guidance voice come from both earphones and seem "mono" in the sense that they seem to come from the back of my head, so to speak. But the voice does come from both headphones.

Garmin Zumo 550, Garmin Nuvi 755t
Go to Top of Page

bhamda

6 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2006 :  17:15:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused......how do you hear the audio in your helmet from the Zumo? Is it via a helmet headset with a hard wire connected to an audio jack on the Zumo bracket and/or is it through a bluetooth enabled headset/device? And can a bluetooth cellphone talk with a Zumo and communicate with a bluetooth enabled headset in or on the helmet all at the same time? Also, what bluetooth products, i.e., bluetooth headsets/helmets work with the Zumo?
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2006 :  22:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bhamda
My understanding is you can plug the zumo into your bikes radio and hear it out the bikes speakers or your helmet speakers that are hooked to your bike. OR You can use bluetooth technology and listen to the zumo in your helmet speakers. It is my understanding that yes certain telephones can be used through the zumo while using the zumo for directions.

Hope this helps

I am waiting to see if anyone can tell me how the sound quality of the zumo mp3 player is when using the audio out on the mount and hooking it to the radio aux in and playing the music out the ultra classics speakers??

Chief
Go to Top of Page

bhamda

6 Posts

Posted - 06 déc. 2006 :  22:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chief, thanks for responding. I wanting to go wireless but I'm learning that wireless seems to have some limitations, however, I'm not exactly sure what those limitations are. I'm still hoping that someone can tell me what is the best configuration (and best bluetooth products available) for setting up a wireless connection with a Zumo before I buy one.......anybody please help.
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2006 :  16:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do Zumo routing functions compare to 2730 and 2820 units? Are road/area avoidance functions included, will it prioritzie a custom route based on a group of waypoints starting with the closest and work out to the fartherest ones?

Is there any good reason to prefer 2730/2820 routing functions over the Zumo? Is Zumo autorouting handled the same way as the 2730/2820.

Is entering new waypoints on the fly easier with the Zumo?

Do 2730/2820 units do some things better than the Zumo?

Other than SiRF, internal battery, bigger screen buttons and left side hard buttons, why would we want a Zumo over a 2730/2820 if Bluetooth is not a consideration?

And finally, does the 2820 do some things better than the 2730 (excluding Bluetooth)?

Thank you.

Edited by - florida1 on 07 déc. 2006 19:53:15
Go to Top of Page

gimmewhiskey

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  00:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mono vs Stereo on motorcycle mount

I just got off the phone with Garmin technical support. The motorcycle mount is ONLY mono. It will only play out of one set of speakers unless you use a small adapter which switches the mono sound to 2 channels.
I have seen some posts on this thread with owners saying they are getting stereo sound. I cannot explain what they are hearing.

The non-stereo sound really effects the music, because if the guitar sound only comes from one speaker and the drums from another, you will only hear one and will be completely miss the other; even with the adapter.
If this is a big issue for you, please call Garmin to confirm before purchasing. I wish I did.
Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  00:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
florida1, I'll answer the first one a bit, there is NO road/area avoidance feature on the Zumo. Once you create and save a route w/via points you can manually reorder or let it optimize the order.

I don't have and have never used a 2XXX StreetPilot so I can't answer those questions.

Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  00:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more good Zumo user information is here

Edited by - florida1 on 08 déc. 2006 00:52:43
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  01:04:35  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We should probably start a "review thread" at some point, but in the meantime here are some comments and pictures I took after receiving my test unit yesterday.

PICTURES

The zumo 550 in good company
The screen is brighter thant it looks in that picture

Compared to the Rider - front

Compared to the Rider - back

External MCX antenna plug, USB, 24 "pin" connector, "top plate"

A strong holder, note the "clip" on the top

The full Bike kit

Permanent bike wiring and 2A fuse

A nice casing and a "bottom plate"

COMMENTS

1. Nice overall feel and look, made to last

2. Car holder with loudspeaker and TMC connector make it a full car system

3. Software derived from the SP550 series, that means no one-tap "2D/North Up" (although two taps will get you there with the route list) and no satellite status screen. If you can't see the route liste by tapping in the instruction at the top, update to v2.30, that did it on mine that arrived with 2.20

4. Nice track recording feature split by session that is converted to .gpx upon connecting to a PC, can be seen in Google Earth easily or gpsvisualizer.com. Can be converted to a route too - need to spend more time on that

5. Innovative keyboard designed for "gloves", not as fast as standard keyboard but will help avoid mistakes:

6. Problems found :
    1. shuts off when I try to set "km per tank" - still there after update to v2.30
    2. [gimmewhiskey] : audio out is mono on bike holder

[*]TBC

Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  01:07:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gimmewhiskey, don't know what to say other than i get stereo sound of of my motorcycle mount when i plugged in a standard set of earbuds. Have u tried doing that? one caveat, is watch out for the volume cause it's LOUD.

One other thought, your motorcycle mount is powered right? I noticed that mine didn't see the proper mount until i wired up the mount. The big buttons on the alpha, and the motorcycle fuel gauge didn't function till i hardwired it.

Edited by - alexcue on 08 déc. 2006 01:32:21
Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  01:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion, there is a full route list. Once you get a route, on the map screen, just tap on the upper direction bar and the full turn list will appear, you can also see a map of your route from start to finish.

Assume that's what you were talking about on point 3

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  01:24:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, checked again after updating to 2.30 and here it is now, I wonder if that was possibly fixed with 2.30.

Another thing, will have to recheck with 2.30, but I couldn't see the manual avoid for traffic incidents, only browsing or automatic avoid with avoid/trafic activated. Anyone else ?

Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  05:36:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion I really look foward to your review. speciallyu compared to the rider that is in it's class. I will be buying one in april and would love your input
Go to Top of Page

ykli

France
61 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  07:58:14  Show Profile  Visit ykli's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@gpspassion
It seemed to me that when you are on a route, if there is traffic incidents an icon will display on the map screen with the number of incidents. Just tap on the icon, you will have the list on traffic incidents. Tap on on particuliar traffic incident, you have the possibility to avoid it. I'm not sure, as I have not tried it yet.

--
Philippe
Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  08:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gpspassion, yup can't find the manual avoid for traffic incidents.

when i turned off the avoidance of traffic, it warns me about an incident along my route, and includes a number in the yellow sign, but if I'm not mistaken it's the number of minutes delay that will occur. it shows it as ":06" for instance.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  12:24:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes and that's a good idea to show the delay there, but what happened to the manual avoid...has to be an oversight on their part, I'm certain I saw it on the C500 or 660T, will have to check with the latest update. Given the "varying" quality of traffic reports it's really a requirement to be able to make your own decision, especially since Garmin let you drill down specifically on the problem.

I tried hitting detour to see if it would optimize based on traffic like TomTom does with "Optimize for delays", but it's not the case.

Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  14:41:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read one post elsewhere that said when using a custom Mapsource generated route that the Zumo would automatically recalculate the route if you went off route and that there was no option to keep it from recalculating, has anyone here seen this?
Go to Top of Page

Curt

USA
82 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  21:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gimmewhiskey

I just got off the phone with Garmin technical support. The motorcycle mount is ONLY mono. It will only play out of one set of speakers unless you use a small adapter which switches the mono sound to 2 channels.
I have seen some posts on this thread with owners saying they are getting stereo sound. I cannot explain what they are hearing.

I sent off an e-mail to Garmin and got the following response:

quote:
Thank you for contacting Garmin International!

I am happy to help you with this.

The output on the mount is stereo, not mono.

The only automotive mount that is available for the Zumo is the suction cup
mount (Part Number: 010-10860-00). You might find a different mount
available on: http://www.rammount.com

If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to
contact us via email or at the number listed below.

Best Regards,

Amanda Latham
Product Support Specialist
Garmin International
1200 E. 151st St.
Olathe, KS 66062

For Technical Support please call 1-800-800-1020 (Mon - Fri / 8 - 6:30 CST)
Fax: 913-440-5488

www.garmin.com
Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08 déc. 2006 :  22:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was wondering, what kind of weather info are you getting on the Zumo w/XM. Mine is as basic as they come, occasionally get the temp on the menu screen, and if I search by City it may give me the temp and an icon decription of sun, clouds, etc.

No 3 day forecast or easy menu access. The GXM 30 manual implies you get more info.

Go to Top of Page

smiffer

13 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2006 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they're telling the truth Curt. the audio out on my bike mount is definately stereo. I tested it with a song that has different vocals on one side versus the other.

Unfortunately if you are on a Mapsource generated route, or any route for that matter, the unit will automatically regenerate if you stray from the route. I always had my Quest & 2820 set to autorecalculate so this feature isn't really too big of a deal to me.
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 09 déc. 2006 :  23:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In doing a comparison between the Zumo and the 2820 on Garmin's website I notice that the basemaps are different with the 2820 apparently having more detail.

The 2820 has a "Americas Autoroute" basemap and the Zumo has a "Americas Lite Routable" basemap. When clicking on them for descriptions it shows considerably more detail available for 2820 maps. In practice I'm not sure how much difference that makes but it could be significant? Here they are:

2820 - Standard map coverage for Americas Autoroute basemap includes:

Oceans, rivers, and lakes (greater than 30 sq. miles)
Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns
Major interstates and principal highways
Political boundaries (state and international borders)
Railroads
Major Airports

A. United States—In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

Small lakes, major streams, and rivers
Principal urban areas (including Alaska and Hawaii)
National- and State-level roads
Many local roads in or near urban areas
More detailed coastline
Airports

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions.
Tide stations

B. Alaska—In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

National- and State-level roads, plus some local roads in or near urban areas
Lakes greater than 5 square miles
Small cities and towns
Tide stations

ZUMO - The Americas LiteRoutable Basemap v3 includes:

Standard map coverage includes:

Principal cities and some smaller cities and towns
Major Airports

I need to go to another state to scout lakefront property soon and a GPS is vital. Apparently the Zumo is specifically lacking in detail with small lake areas and I wonder what else for those of us that want a GPS to use on two wheels and four?

This coupled with no control of the route auto-recalculate, lack of certain avoidances, poor detour function and waypoint screen clutter may be a deal killer for me.

I'm also concerned that the route auto-recalculate function apparently takes over and modifies Mapsource routes with no option to stop that, this is something I can't live with. What would be the point of even using Mapsource to generate custom (scenic) routes if this is the case?

Over the last 7 years I have accummulated more than 500 waypoints, the Zumo is limited to 500, the 2820 holds 2000.

This thread covers some of the benefits of the Zumo over the 2820: http://razorbiker.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=63

So in the end the 2820 may be the better unit for two AND four wheel use for power users if you want one GPS unit only, the Zumo may be better for motorcycles depending on how you use it, tough call?

Edited by - florida1 on 12 déc. 2006 17:56:33
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2006 :  00:51:38  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting for the base map, but the detailed maps will be taking over anyway, so I'm not sure why the lakes would be missing ?

The "detour" function of the new Garmin AIOs since the C320 is certainly not much to look at and based on quite some testing with the 660T, it gives me no confidence that it will help me if I need to avoid a major problem one day.

Hopefully the auto-recalc of a MapSource map can be fixed by a software upgrade though as the waypoint limitation, although having 500 waypoints loaded at a time isn't too shabby.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  13:02:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since it's been a couple of days I'll add a message instead of editing the one above ;-)

I thought I had read somewhere that the Bluetooth headset only worked with the Zumo powered in it's cradle, which I found a bit odd, good news it does in fact work fine with a Bluetooth headset when operating on its battery.

Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok guys! Seems the more I read about the different Garmin GPS products the more confused I get! I was really liking the ZUMO but now after reading things here I am concerned that maybe it is not the best for me and my motorcycle. I do not understand why they would not put the same maps on the Zumo. This less detailed map just might be the deal breaker. I want to travel the less traveled roadways and from the description on the garmin site I wouldnt be able to use the zumo because it would not show any roads or towns!

Can I tell the zumo or the 2820 to avoid interstates or tollways when it is doing its routing?
One post says Motorcycle mount output is mono, next says it is stereo!! Does anyone know of any stores that are actually carrying the Zumo or can you only get it online? Besides the garmin store downtown Chicago?

Thanks for the help.

Chief
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  16:03:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The basemap detail issue is relatively simple: they chose to use a smaller, less-detailed basemap so they could reduce the amount of internal S/S memory needed (or allocate that memory for things like a 10,000 trip log). I imagine they felt that most people would be riding in areas where the detailed maps are in effect. Since you need to zoom in to be able to see much detail on screen that small anyway, the detail maps take over.

Once and for all: when the Zumo is installed in the M/C cradle and the cradle is powered and energized, the output jack is Stereo.

There are 7 categories of advoidances available on the Zumo - selecting 'Highways' will not ensure that they won't be included in a route calculation. If the unit thinks there are suitable alternatives, it will try, but if those are 25MPH roads, it might still think that the highway is a better choice.

I started to put together an interactive Zumo preview page that will let you see some of the screens, etc. You can find it here.

I've also started accumulating some user interface videos - they're not all up yet, but you can get an idea of how they work at this link.
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  16:14:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jon

So the smaller roads are there, just you have to really zoom in to see them? I could live with that.
Thank you for your help. I have been reading on the other forum and it says there you have a rather detailed very good review of the Zumo but I have been unable to locate the review on the boards. Any help?

I want to be able to load a route into the Zumo and then drive that route without ever touching a map or worrying about missing a turn. BUT should I decide to take say a little 100 mile side trip to see some rock formation I do not want my zumo erasing the rest of my destinations.

Chief
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  17:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In doing a comparison between the Zumo and the 2820 on Garmin's website I notice that the basemaps are different with the 2820 apparently having more detail.

The 2820 has a "Americas Autoroute" basemap and the Zumo has a "Americas Lite Routable" basemap. When clicking on them for descriptions it shows considerably more detail available for 2820 maps. In practice I'm not sure how much difference that makes but it could be significant? Here they are:

2820 - Standard map coverage for Americas Autoroute basemap includes:

Principal cities and a small amount of smaller cities and towns
Railroads
Major Airports

Small lakes, major streams, and rivers
Principal urban areas (including Alaska and Hawaii)
National- and State-level roads
Many local roads in or near urban areas
More detailed coastline
Airports

A database of exits for the Federal Interstate highway system. This includes many businesses within about ¼ mile of the exit, including: restaurants, diesel/gas, hotels/lodging, overnight RV parking, dumps, campgrounds, truckstops, medical facilities, shopping and outlet malls, ATMs, and many more attractions.
Tide stations

B. Alaska—In addition to the standard map coverage, it also includes:

National- and State-level roads, plus some local roads in or near urban areas
Small cities and towns
Tide stations

ZUMO - The Americas LiteRoutable Basemap v3 includes:

Standard map coverage includes:

Principal cities and some smaller cities and towns
Major Airports

I need to go to another state to scout lakefront property soon and a GPS is vital. Apparently the Zumo is specifically lacking in detail with small lake areas and I wonder what else?

This coupled with no control of the route auto-recalculate, lack of certain avoidances, poor detour function and route waypoint screen clutter may be a deal killer for me.

I'm also concerned that the route auto-recalculate function apparently takes over and modifies Mapsource routes with no option to stop that, this is something I can't live with. What would be the point of even using Mapsource to generate custom (scenic) routes if this is the case?

Over the last 7 years I have accummulated more than 500 waypoints, the Zumo is limited to 500, the 2820 holds 2000.

This thread covers some of the benefits of the Zumo over the 2820:http://razorbiker.com/zumo/viewtopic.php?t=63

So in the end the 2820 may be the better unit for two AND four wheel use for power users if you want one GPS unit only, the Zumo may be better for motorcycles depending on how you use it, tough call?

Edited by - florida1 on 13 déc. 2006 05:33:53
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  19:03:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not an expert on the 'basemap' manipulation on these units, but what I did was turn off the detailed maps and tried to manuever around my area to see what detail was missing. My understanding of the basemap use (at least on the Zumo) was that when you zoom out it only displays the 'major' roads - when I zoom in my area, it shows the two-lane road that leads to my development (35MPH road with a two-way turn lane) but not the development itself. I believe the road data displayed was more a function of the 'map detail' level chosen.

If you enable the onboard maps, all the roads and detail are shown, so I don't know where the lack of detail in the basemap would actually impact you.

The Zumo will accept a Mapsource-generated route just fine. The difference is the auto-recalculate function - if you decide to go visit something that you didn't plan on, it will automatically recalculate the route to your next waypoint. The key thing with the Zumo routing is to make sure that you define waypoints that are exactly on the roads you want to ride. If you deviate from your route, it will automatically keep trying to recalculate to get you back to that waypoint. If that waypoint is now behind you, you can open the route and remove the waypoint that it's trying to get you back to. It's not unmanageable, but if you're used to having the ability to turn that function off, you'll need a little re-training.

Chief, I think you're referring to the observations I made on the unit on the GL1800 Riders board - there's a lot of good topics on it over there.

Edited by - Jon_GWG on 11 déc. 2006 19:08:18
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  19:18:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The auto-recalculate of Mapsource routes sounds miserable to me. How many screen taps does it take to get to your Mapsource route so you can eliminate the waypoint you don't want to go back to?

There are all kinds of good and valid reasons for wanting to stray from your route without having it recalculated.

Cannot believe they did away with the "Recalculate Yes/No" function I'm used to, sounds like a real bonehead move to me.

Edited by - florida1 on 11 déc. 2006 20:21:29
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  19:26:39  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This needs to be checked, but if you're following a Mapsource imported route, presumably it will guide you to all the stops you've planned even if you stray off course, if that happens, I doubt it will override all the stops and take you straight to your final destination. Maybe they got too many calls from people complaining the route was not being recalculated due to a wrong setting...

Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  20:08:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There might be a shortcut, but from memory: Menu -> Where To -> Routes -> Current Route -> Edit -> Select the via point to delete.

I think the point is that if you're running a route that has waypoints A, B, and C with a final destination @ D. If between points A & B you see a sign for a waterfall that you just need to go check out, it will start recalculating a route to get you back to point B. If you find a way back to the route that is downstream of point B, the GPS will still be trying to route you back to point B. This is where you would 'simply' delete via point B and let it recalculate to point C.

Some systems do this more gracefully than others, and I hope that someone else will point out a shortcut that they've found on the Zumo to do this a little more easily. (Two screen taps on the iWay, for example)

If you think about their apparent target demographic for the c550, the 'Auto Recalculation' option probably confused them greatly, so they took it out to make their life easier. (that's my guess, anyway)
Go to Top of Page

zaneybird

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  20:25:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I may have posted this twice, but does anyone know if you can buy just a cradle for the Zumo 550 that does not include the wiring kit. I want to attach to a Fatboy, but just need the cradle with T adapter. I used on my Quest 2 that was made by Ram.
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  20:27:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems to me that the auto-route recalculation "problem" could be easily fixed with a firmware upgrade to the setup menu allowing this function to be controlled with allowing "Recalculate Yes/No" function to be turned on or off. Let's hope Garmin gets the message and cares.
Go to Top of Page

alexcue

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  20:30:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zaneybird

I may have posted this twice, but does anyone know if you can buy just a cradle for the Zumo 550 that does not include the wiring kit. I want to attach to a Fatboy, but just need the cradle with T adapter. I used on my Quest 2 that was made by Ram.

yes, that's actually the only way the are "selling" it, without the ram-mount or the wiring kit, cradle only. I say "selling" it, cause as of now no one has it available yet. I'm on backorder for a week now. Found it for $58.

Go to Top of Page

raaaaaa

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  22:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where do you plan on mounting it? I fatboy also and I was thinking in the middle almost
Go to Top of Page

bhamda

6 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  22:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the actual reply I got back from the Garmin Technical Support......"The Zumo can play audio back either via a hardwired connection using its 3.5mm audio out jack, or via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth option will NOT carry the XM radio, and is only Mono. The 3.5mm output is stereo. The Zumo can accommodate 2 Bluetooth connections as well (headset and phone). As far as recommended headsets, due to their simplicity, they all should work just fine."
Go to Top of Page

zaneybird

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11 déc. 2006 :  22:46:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raaaaaa

where do you plan on mounting it? I fatboy also and I was thinking in the middle almost

Will likely mount on left handlebar. That is how the Quest 2 was mounted. Just used a T-mount built into the cradle. The other options would be the chrome Bracketon handlebar mount with T-adapter
Go to Top of Page

bhamda

6 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2006 :  20:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Follow up on the XM radio issue.....I ask the Garmin Tech support if XM radio was stereo when output through the 3.5mm audio jack and received this response: "Yes, the 3.5mm audio out is Stereo for XM." Hopefully this will clear up that issue once and for all.
Go to Top of Page

zaneybird

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2006 :  23:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bluetooth seems to work fine in the car using the internal mic and speaker with the cradle. However, it disconnects the bluetooth when trying to use with phone,headset and bike cradle. I'm using a Motorola 700.
Go to Top of Page

Chief59

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 12 déc. 2006 :  23:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I have gotten the go ahead to buy a unit from the boss lady. So now after months of reading and wraggling and going back and forth I still do not know which one is best for me. So I am going to ask you experts since this will be my first gps unit.
I have a 2004 HD Ultra and I love my music. So my requirements are as follows for a gps

I must be able to hear music BUT have it overridden to hear the voice prompts for directions.
text to voice technology.
Battery operation
I do not care about xm radio, traffic, or bluetooth.
Preplanning a route on the desktop then loading it to the gps unit is a must.
Altitude and time do not matter to me.
Area or road type avoidance.
preloaded maps and POI's
auto rerouting
multiple destination points
everything you need to mount it on the bike and in a car comes with the gps unit. no need to buy all different types of cables and such to install the unit
I think that is about it! Soooo what model would you reccommend for me, my motorcycle and my car?

Thanks for the help

PS I wont hold any recomendations against anyone!

Chief
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2006 :  00:23:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based upon those recommendations, get the Zumo and connect the M/C cradle to the HD Aux input. The unit comes with a short RAM arm in the box and two HD-compatible bases (the u-bolt might not fit your bars though)
Go to Top of Page

Jon_GWG

901 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2006 :  06:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by florida1

...Cannot believe they did away with the "Recalculate Yes/No" function I'm used to, sounds like a real bonehead move to me.

One could argue that Garmin makes a lot of what some could call 'bonehead' moves.

Not being able to set the data tabs transparent on the 2820, or to customize the 'normal' sized tabs (You can only customize the 'thin' or 'wide' tabs) seems like a bonehead move to me. I do like the selectable 'large' keyboard, it's a little easier to use than the 2720 or 2730. Not sure if I like the 'sliding' keyboard selection of the Zumo better or not.

All GPS units are compromises - there's no one perfect GPS that will fit the needs for every user, you just have to find the one that meets most of your important 'needs'.

Go to Top of Page

scrrem

3 Posts

Posted - 13 déc. 2006 :  13:20:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those of you with Zumo and are utilizing XM radio. Where did you mount your GXM-30 antenna? I am still trying to decide on the 2820 or the Zumo but both require the GXM-30 for XM. I prefer the clean look of mounting the antenna in the fairing but I wonder if reception would be a problem. Should I purchased the external mounting bracket from Cycle Gadgets instead. Let me know your setup.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05