Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 GPS Programming
 "Beta" GPS software
 Port Splitter, yeat , another port splitter
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

jaluna

148 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2008 :  21:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, remember also that you can use GPSID in such system rather than portsplitter to share gps signal.

Regards, JAL,
http://www.gpsmeter.com/
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2008 :  23:53:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Port splitter doing a perfect job now thanks very much, pity no one at HP seemed to know how to a) get the internal GPS to talk to the bundled software or b) that utilities like portsplitter or GPSID would solve in seconds the problems that have had Ipaq 614 owners tearing their hair out for weeks!
Go to Top of Page

jaluna

148 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  08:45:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the "bundled software" with the HP? If does not work directly, without portsplitter, maybe because isn't compatible with the serial port driver of HP.

Regards, JAL,
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  10:34:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It came bundled with Copilot as part of the factory software install, looks like HP use some tool that does the same job as Port Splitter but whatever tool they have used isn't compatible with the software they bundle with the device. Nor does Copilot work accessing the GPS port directly.
The built in HP port splitting tool does work for google maps and reportedly works with Tomtom but having spent lots of money on the Ipaq I was rather keen to get the supplied software to do it's job rather than have to pay out for another package to provide functionality it already had!
Not sure what you have done different but as I said using the built in GPS tool Copilot couldn't find a GPS signal at all, Gpsgate did let it find a signal but the connection between copilot and the GPS kept dropping every few minutes and needed copilot restarting to re-establish it, Port splitter though works rock solid now I have got rid of Google maps. Im not 100% sure but it looks like google maps grabbed every available com port as a possible data input stream but didn't bother freeing them up again when it was shut down.
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  12:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh well, not quite solved! After Portsplitter worked perfectly for quite a few hours and quite a few stops and starts I again got the message it could open com 1, after that it still listed the free ports (Com 1 included) but when I click on one and press add nothing happens. I've done a couple of soft resets and after the first reset the ports still appear in the puldown output list but nothing happens when I try to add one of them, after the second all is working again!
Oh and it looks like it is a version of GSPID that HP supply.
Best wishes
David

Edited by - davkt on 23 juil. 2008 13:02:31
Go to Top of Page

jaluna

148 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  13:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I will try to reproduce your steps and fix the bug if I have lucky to found it. It will be great if you can predict when will this fail occurs.

Regards, JAL,
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  15:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Playing with it still to try and pin it down for sure but it now seems to be happening if I start and stop the splitter from within the port splitter app, not every time but sometimes (anywhere between the first and fourth stop and restart so far) I get the message about about not being able to open com 1 and trying to add ports from the list stops working. Do a soft reset and I still get the list of ports in the pull down for output but can't add them, another soft reset and it is all working again.
Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you trace the problem.
Cheers
David
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  16:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A bit more experimenting and it seems like time might have somthing to do with it, I stopped and immediatly restarted the splitter about 20 times one after the other and it worked fine. I them left the splitter stopped for a few minutes and when I tried to restart got the error message and after 2 soft resets it works again! Also if after the soft reset I leave it a few minutes to start the splitter I get the same error sequence. Devicex is still showing the same list of ports in use whatever portsplitter is doing
This gets stranger by the minute!
Hope this is helping
David

Edited by - davkt on 23 juil. 2008 16:13:22
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 23 juil. 2008 :  16:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wierder still I just left it 20 min without resetting after the last set of errors and it is working fine again!
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2008 :  00:12:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And is still working after several stop start cycles now 8 hours later
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2008 :  09:51:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And 9 hours later is giving the error again!
Go to Top of Page

davkt

12 Posts

Posted - 24 juil. 2008 :  11:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a couple of hours later it is working again. The Ipaq hasn't been reset since my post at 16:02:25 yesterday
All I can think of is that somthing else running on the ipaq is sometimes grabbing the output port when Port Splitter releases it or sometime later and then freeing it again at some random time. Can't think what else I have running that might have use for a com port though!
Go to Top of Page

robl

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2008 :  04:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jal,
deviceX tool does not run (As far as i know) on the Windows CE IPAQ 310. How, I checked the registry and it should have free ports. The symptom I am getting is the same that I got with the earlier version of portsplitter that needed to have the dll in the windows directory if this dll was missing.

As the new version supports having the dll in the install directory, could me changing the name of the install directory (removing spaces from the directory name) cause a problem ?.

Remember, I found that having spaces in either the install directory name or the name of the Portsplitter binary caused it not to run on the IPAQ. Are there any registry entries used by portsplitter that have either the filename of the install directory name in them ? Are either of these hardcoded anywhere ?

Thanks

Rob L

quote:
Originally posted by jaluna

Hello Rob,

as noticed in a previous message, you don't have nothing to do with port splitter if the output list is empty. Use the deviceX tool to free some ports and then restart portsplitter.

Regards, JAL,

Go to Top of Page

robl

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2008 :  04:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Jal,
I did some more experimenting. The problem seems to be in the registry entries for the extvsplit s in the registery, ie these

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\extvsplit8]
"Index"=dword:00000008
"FriendlyName"="COM:8 Port Splitter"
"Prefix"="COM"
"Dll"="\\ResidentFlash\\iPAQ\\OS\\GAMES\\JAL Port Splitter\\extvsplit.dll"

As I renamed the installation directory the entry for "Dll" is incorrect. It should be "Dll"="\\ResidentFlash\\iPAQ\\OS\\GAMES\\JALPortSplitter\\extvsplit.dll"

I tried manually editing the registry to change it. However, whenever I restarted portsplitter it rewrites the registry entry back to the in correct setting, "\\ResidentFlash\\iPAQ\\OS\\GAMES\\JAL Port Splitter\\extvsplit.dll". So I think this is why it is not working after I renamed the installation directory.

Cheers

Rob L

quote:
Originally posted by robl

Hi Jal,
deviceX tool does not run (As far as i know) on the Windows CE IPAQ 310. How, I checked the registry and it should have free ports. The symptom I am getting is the same that I got with the earlier version of portsplitter that needed to have the dll in the windows directory if this dll was missing.

As the new version supports having the dll in the install directory, could me changing the name of the install directory (removing spaces from the directory name) cause a problem ?.

Remember, I found that having spaces in either the install directory name or the name of the Portsplitter binary caused it not to run on the IPAQ. Are there any registry entries used by portsplitter that have either the filename of the install directory name in them ? Are either of these hardcoded anywhere ?

Thanks

Rob L

quote:
Originally posted by jaluna

Hello Rob,

as noticed in a previous message, you don't have nothing to do with port splitter if the output list is empty. Use the deviceX tool to free some ports and then restart portsplitter.

Regards, JAL,

Go to Top of Page

SACHA4321

France
24 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2008 :  22:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jal

I got an Ipaq 314 very newly and I try to reuse a lot of stuff from my previous ACER N35 Pocket PC.
Therefore, I need to gain acces to the GPS on COM7 (according to the Ipaq GpsViewer tool, and the review of most of the 101 "Customizing the HP iPaq 310" topic).
I booted from a SD card with CELauncher and I installed the "psce5.CE5_ARM.cab" I copied before on this SD : the default proposed folder is "\Program Files" and was accepted. When I launch Port Splitter from the XplorerMenu, I get the error message "Cannot find 'Port Splitter' or one of its components. .."
I tried also to install under "\Windows" but it was successless.
From an other post I saw that if "extvsplit.dll" is under "\Windows" it could solve tmy problem, but it didn't work.

Thanks for your help.

Now, it runs well.
I first added the "aygshell.dll" found through "gpspassion" in the installation folder.
It worked well.
I got an export of the register using TRE.
I moved all the installation folder under IPAQ\...\GAMES and applied an update to the register with a ".reg" file to point to the new location.

It's all folks

Edited by - SACHA4321 on 19 août 2008 23:43:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05