Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 Good bye
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2006 :  21:17:38  Show Profile
Hi all you wonderful regulars,

For those of you who know me from around the forums, I just wanted to let you know that my employment with Mapopolis has come to an end so I am no longer the project manager and lead developer for WM platforms. (I will not discuss the reasons)

It's been great knowing you all and working with all of you, and I think that together we were able to craft a superior GPS navigation system. I always thought of you guys as a critical part of my team.

I am still a big fan of the software, so I will most likely still be around participating in the forum from time to time to some very small degree - but only as a fan like yourselves, to post my own bug reports and wish list requests. I may still offer some advice for troubleshooting common problems, the way Dave and Jake and so many of the others of you do, but I am no longer on staff, so my degree of support will be nothing like it was, and I'm not likely to come back here except once every couple of weeks or as the interest randomly strikes me.

Best Regards,
Ris

Not affiliated with Mapopolis - just a guy.

Mobile Crossing Waypoint 200, PPC 2003 First Edition
Mobile Crossing BlueTooth GPS

Ads

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2006 :  21:26:34  Show Profile
Hey Ris,

Sorry to see you go. You've been an integral part of making Mapopolis what it is today, and I can only hope your replacement is as willing to listen to all of us bitch as you were ;-)

Hopefully we'll see you around the forum some. I know any input you have in problem solving will be quite welcome as you have a rather unique viewpoint of the program now.

Axim x51v, A12 ROM/Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS/2gb PNY SD card/2gb Kingston CF card/Mapopolis 4.71.04 with NE maps.
Go to Top of Page

Larrysabo

Canada
138 Posts

Posted - 08 juil. 2006 :  22:34:50  Show Profile
Best wishes, Ris. Sorry to see you leave Mapopolis, and I hope it is for the better of all concerned, whatever the reasons may be. Your dedication to us users was terrific, and we'll all miss you.

Regards,
Larry

Axim X51V 624MHz WM5 A06, Haicom 303III SiRF III, Mapopolois 4.71.03 Beta, Gomadic mount
Go to Top of Page

lbendlin

USA
482 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2006 :  01:40:56  Show Profile  Visit lbendlin's Homepage
I don't know what the internals of this are (sounds pretty loaded IMHO) but it certainly will have an impact on the feature implementation and the release schedule. I know the Mapopolis team before you came on board, and compared to that you have advanced the program at least an order of magnitude more.

Hope you find a job where they value your contribution.

Lutz
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2006 :  09:05:43  Show Profile
Same here, all the best Ris

Orange C550, Holux GPSlim 236
Go to Top of Page

gordias

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2006 :  15:27:52  Show Profile
So long Ris, and thanks for all the fish!

Vodafone V1620 WM2003SE / GlobalSat BT 338 GPS
Go to Top of Page

Altaman

Canada
86 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2006 :  20:13:37  Show Profile
Geez, sorry to see you go Ris!

You added a very positive element to Mapopolis...without knowing the circumstances, I will say that usually people that are customer orientated do not tend to have thew same mindset as their upper management.

Thanksd for your hard work and assistance to the userbase, it can not be overstated the appreciation from a user perspective.

Alt

Toshiba E830, Hitachi 4 gig MD, GlobalSat BT-338 (this thing ROCKS!!), Mugen 5800 mah Battery, ProClip PDA holder/Mount.
Go to Top of Page

JakeRich

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2006 :  01:11:08  Show Profile
We'll miss you, Ris! Come back this way often and share your insights, even if not from the "inside" anymore.
Go to Top of Page

deichenlaub

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  01:39:21  Show Profile
Like everybody else, I'll miss you. Good luck in your future endeavors.

HP iPAQ 2490 / WM5 / Mapopolis / GlobalSAT BC-337 (Holux CF GPS)
Go to Top of Page

cellneuron

36 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  05:22:24  Show Profile
I believe it is the last nail in mapopolis' coffin.

I already switched to TomTom 5, but always check this forum to see anything new. As a small player in the huge GPS market, mapopolis didn't obtain good enough marketshares. As I mentioned before, mapopolis was and will be only used by GPS geeks and will never go to the hands of average GPS users, just because of the poor interface.

That's it.
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  01:37:58  Show Profile
That's really sad. I use Mapopolis on a SP5 Smartphone and have been delighted with it. I hope everything works out for you Ris and thanks for your time and hard work.
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  01:55:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cellneuron

I believe it is the last nail in mapopolis' coffin.

I already switched to TomTom 5, but always check this forum to see anything new. As a small player in the huge GPS market, mapopolis didn't obtain good enough marketshares. As I mentioned before, mapopolis was and will be only used by GPS geeks and will never go to the hands of average GPS users, just because of the poor interface.

That's it.

While I think the loss of Ris will hurt in the long run, I think it is extremely premature to say this is the last nail in Mapolis' coffin. While the interface may lag a bit behind other programs, the overall speed and ease of use make it a serious contender. The participation in this forum actually puts it several steps about the competition IMO.

Axim x51v, A12 ROM/Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS/2gb PNY SD card/2gb Kingston CF card/Mapopolis 4.71.05 with NE maps.
Go to Top of Page

Bob_dude

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  09:04:37  Show Profile
Ris,
All the best to you. Thank you for your excellent support.
From your posts and discussions it is clear that you are one great technical expert.
Excellent troubleshooting skills and clear communication.
You will be missed and remembered here.
Please come back to visit us here.

-Dude

WM 5.0 xv6700 PDA phone
iBLUE BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

dcrochet

USA
1044 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  20:31:55  Show Profile
Ris,

Definitely sorry to hear of your departure from the Mapopolis team. You’ve been a class act from your first post and a breath of fresh air in the evolution of Mapopolis. I’ve really enjoyed your enthusiasm, transparency, and technical expertise. Your unique, compassionate style kept us motivated and coming back for more. While Mapopolis has always had fantastic customer service, it really peaked with your dedication and involvement in this forum. I sincerely hope that you’ll find another position in this exciting field of GPS-enabled technologies.

Dave

Axim X5 400 A04, PPC2002, Mapopolis 4.6x (NE) routing technique, PocketXTrack CF GPS
Go to Top of Page

mswlogo

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 13 juil. 2006 :  06:45:52  Show Profile
Ris,

As hard as I was on you guys, I thought you were great. Mapopolis is gonna be hurting bad without you.

Good luck with what ever path you choose.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PPC-6700 WM5, Fortuna Slim GPS Sirf III Bluetooth. North America NE maps (MA and NH)
Go to Top of Page

M Duff

Canada
205 Posts

Posted - 14 juil. 2006 :  00:20:44  Show Profile
Ris: Like others have expressed above, I enjoyed your reporting and think you were a genuine asset to the company. Sorry that things did not work out but tomorrow is another day and as long as the sun rises and you are on top of the ground, you have the potential to accomplish greater things. Good luck!

With regard to the tasteless comment by cellneuron, unlike some who only go to races to see the crashes, I expect that Mapopolis will recover and continue to provide the excellent support for which they are well known. I would also like to say that I am not, by any stretch of the imagination a "GPS Geek" yet I still find Mapopolis to be one excellent program. Sadly many people favor form over function and they will always ignore quality, sometimes even denigrate it, because they are superficial.

Good luck to all and thanks for all the investment you have made in this application.

Toshiba e805 - Spb Pocket Plus2 - Holux GM270 - Franson GPS Gate - Mapopolis V4.71.03, NC maps
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05