Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2797

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Creating POI's on the Nuvi?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

skuits

14 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  10:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am confused on how to use Mapsource and the POI loader from Garmin to create my own POI's. I am a partime chauffeur and often go to winery's in my area that aren't on the Nuvi, so I'd like to create my own POI's for the winery's I visit. Can I use Mapsource to simply type in the address and create a waypoint from that? What is the process of converting the format to .csv is this necessary? Please post your reply's in an easy to follow step by step format.

I would really appreciate it.

Thank-you

Edited by - danham on 25 août 2006 19:34:32

Ads

danham

USA
7492 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  13:21:56  Show Profile  Visit danham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there a reason you want these to appear as POIs instead of "Favorites?"

If they have street addresses, it is very easy to enter them as Favorites using only your nuvi. Even if they don't, you can enter them on the map in the approximate location and then on your first trip to the winery, erase that favorite and create a new one that is accurate to just a few feet.

Edit: I see in your other post that you really do want POIs. Folks there can help you with that; let me make one more pitch for Favorites [grin]. It's EASY. No PC, no POI Loader, no csv files. You can name each of them beginning with the word WINE to make them easy to find on nuvi. You can edit/change/add them on the road.

-dan

=================
- Forum moderator -
Nuvi 350 in an Audi A3 2.0T
GPS III+
G4 iMac, OS X
Cape Cod, MA
=================

Edited by - danham on 26 juin 2006 13:27:51
Go to Top of Page

skuits

14 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  21:40:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dan for the advice. That is a good idea for naming the favorites. My original idea for using POI's was so I could find them easily in my favorites. My worry was that if I named them as their winery name only I would have to hunt thru my favorites to find them each time. Your idea of using the word WINE in the begining seems like a good solution.

Out of curiosity I would still like to learn how to use the POI loader and Mapsource. I've found a few disjunct threads on how it works but no comprehensive instructions on the process as a whole.

Thanks again,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  23:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using MapSource to create Custom POIs

1. Create a folder anywhere desired on PC, but it will be used ONLY for POIs
2. Open MapSource, and on left side panel, click the Waypoints tab
(Just leave Category at All Categories for this purpose)
3. Click Find, then Find Places
4. Input info wanted, click Find
5. In the place(s) found list, highlight one that is wanted as a POI, then click
Make Waypoint, click OK
6. Do same for any others in result list, and/or repeat steps 3-5 to find
more/other places
7. A list of created Waypoints is built up in left panel
8. When finished, click OK in the result list window (or close it) and the
screen is back to showing the MapSource main screen, with the Waypoint list
at left
9. Save or Save As, using any desired file name for your POI category just
created, but save it as type .gpx, AND save it in that POI folder created in
first step
Close MapSource

Using POI Loader

1. Have either the Nuvi connected to PC, or a card reader with an SD card
plugged connected to PC. HIGHLY recommend using SD card!
2. Start POI Loader. NOTE: Latest version of POI Loader 2.3.1 has a Proximity
Alert problem ... confirmed by Garmin Tech Support today on phone ... so use
v 2.2.1 if possible
3. Click Next, it will find Nuvi or SD card
4. When that shows properly in the Device: window, click Next
5. Use Browse (or type in) to show path to the POI folder created before
6. Use Express Mode (Feet or meters, etc., are for Alerts, otherwise doesn't
matter)
7. Click Next
8. If it goes well, which it should, you will be congratulated, click Finish

That's it!

Categories and Maintenance and CAUTION!!!
On Nuvi or SD card a folder called POI is created, and it contains a file called poi.gpi. That file has your Custom POIs. If your POI folder on the PC contained more than one .gpx file (or .csv file created in another way), they are all combined into the one poi.gpi file. However, the poi.gpi file is set up so that Nuvi can recognize each component file that created it, and so Nuvi separates them into Categories, with the title of each category being the name of your original file. You are then able to see the POIs in categories from the My Locations screen.
CAUTION!! You cannot add to that poi.gpi file. Each addition or change to your Custom POIs must be done to the files in your POI folder on the PC. That folder must be maintained to include all previous POIs that you created and still want, because EVERY TIME you add or change and then create Custom POIs with POI Loader, it deletes the previous poi.gpi and then creates an entirely new poi.gpi ...

Well, I hope that this hasn't been too long winded. It is not difficult to do Custom POIs, so if it sounds that way, that's my fault.
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7889 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  23:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice explaination GPSrapp. I'm sure a lot of Nuvi owners will appreciate these procedures being published in one place for quick reference. I know I copied them out to a file that now sits on my desktop .

Nuvi Forum Moderator

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 27 juin 2006 03:15:48
Go to Top of Page

skuits

14 Posts

Posted - 26 juin 2006 :  23:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks GPSrapp, that is nicely done! I'll give it a try this evening. I really do appreciate everyone out there who really make using GPS easier and fun with all their knowledge and altruistic behavior you guys ROCK!.

Thanks again,
Mark
Go to Top of Page

mi2nc

32 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  01:50:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a program called act! that has all my contacts in it. I can export in .csv format. Is there a way I can export this *.csv file and then import into nuvi?
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  03:17:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mi2nc

Does your contacts file have location in longitude and latitude?

Also see POI Loader help for more info on csv files requirements.
Go to Top of Page

skuits

14 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  08:35:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loaded up my first POI thanks to GPSrapp super simple with the kewl step by step instructions.

Is there a way to categorize the POI's within the Custom POI section on the Nuvi? I had hoped to be able to make a specialty file that contained all the POI's of the same nature. Example, all the wineries I find that are located in one area along the highway. Am I asking too much?

What is the reason for a custom POI section if one can just save them in favorites as Dan had suggested earlier? Maybe titling them with the word WINE is the only solution to being able to find them on the fly without having to dig thru all of my favorites or custom POI's everytime.?

Thanks

Edited by - skuits on 27 juin 2006 08:40:18
Go to Top of Page

mi2nc

32 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  15:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSrapp-No only the street address. How about from streets and trips? Can I export my pushpins?
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  17:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skuits

Glad you got POIs!

If you want categories in Nuvi Custom POI:

Create separate .gpx files for each category wanted. Put each file in the POI folder on PC. The name of file will become the category name in Nuvi when you use POI Loader as usual. So ... put all your winery POIs in one file called Wineries.gpx (or whatever), and all xxxyyyzzz in another file called Whatever.gpx, and so on for as many categories as youn want. They will all be arranged by POI Loader so that Nuvi can recognize them as separate categories, even though they are all contained in the one master poi.gpi as explained above.

Rapp

Wanted to add that danham's suggestion will work nicely for you also, and it is easy to do. If you want a few POI sets and can use the same keyword to start each set, that would be a great way to go.

Favorites are limited to 500 total, while Custom POIs are unlimited, as long as you have memory available (as with SD cards). If you have many POIs and categories, Custom POIs will be easier to read and select than with Favorites. Also, I think that Nuvi is limited to displaying a maximum of 50 places at any one time, selected from your grouping by shortest distance from Current Location.

Edited by - GPSrapp on 27 juin 2006 17:15:25
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  17:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mi2nc

The only requirement for csv files, created almost any way you like, is that they follow the proper format and have the proper information. You can get a good idea of what that is by checking out the POI Loader help section.

Briefly, the file needs to have Longitude (expressed as degrees.decimal i.e.,
-80.123456) using the minus sign for W, and Lat expressed same way with minus for S.

So Long,Lat,Name of POI #1,text....
Long,Lat,Name of POI #2,text....
and so on
text optional, for desription/comments

There are a few tricks using quotes to get line breaks, etc., but that's another story.

(Also see POIedit, link available within gpsPassion forum)

I am definitely NOT up on the various programs available that do stuff like this, so I really can't be more specific about any one application. However, look at the app's output, and if it fits or can be adapted to what's needed, then it can be made to work.

Hope this helps.

Rapp
Go to Top of Page

NanaimoRick

Canada
7889 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  18:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mi2nc, not sure you can use Streets and Trips data directly to your Nuvi but if you follow GPSrapp's procedures for creating CSV files you could get your Pushpin data on the Nuvi. Go into Street & Trips and select Location Sensor from the Tools menu. This opens a small window on the map screen that displays the latitude and longitude of the pointer/cursor arrow on the map. If you put the pointer arrow on a pushpin location you will then have the lat. and long which you can use to create an entry that can be loaded to the Nuvi using POILoader as per GPSrapp's procedures.

Nuvi Forum Moderator

Edited by - NanaimoRick on 28 juin 2006 00:44:40
Go to Top of Page

skuits

14 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2006 :  07:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSrapp

Got the categories to work just like you said, that is exactly what I wanted!

Thanks for your help my co-worker will be happy to know we can customize our Garmin devices like we want.

Thanks again,
Mark

Edited by - skuits on 28 juin 2006 09:37:30
Go to Top of Page

skuits

14 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  10:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey GPSrapp, just for clarity; I saved all the POI's I made within Mapsource and in a folder on my PC. So if I want to add to the list of waypoints can I just add to the list I saved within Mapsource then re-load them?

I am a bit leery to mess with them now that I've spent a bunch of time creating them.

I know I will want to add more to the original list without losing the others.

Or, is it enough to just add to the original .gpx files that are saved on my PC when I go to create any new POI's?

Thanks again
Go to Top of Page

GPSrapp

339 Posts

Posted - 29 juin 2006 :  18:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Skuits

Of PRIMARY importance is to have saved and to continue to save ALL gpx files (from which you have created Custom POIs with POI Loader) in your PC POI folder.

Now if you want to add new POIs to an existing gpx file, load that file back into MapSource, then Find and add Waypoints to the existing list in the left panel just like you did originally, and then save the ENTIRE file, with BOTH prior and new Waypoints, back to the PC POI folder.
(While in MapSource, you may also delete Waypoints that are no longer wanted, if desired.)

If you feel uncomfortable editing and adding to existing gpx files, make a backup of the file and save it in a different folder for a "just-in-case" scenario. Don't leave it in the same POI folder because POI Loader will create Custom POIs with it, resulting in duplication with those in the new edited file.

If you want to create a new gpx file, do it as you have been, and save it to your POI folder on the PC, as usual.

That POI folder on the PC MUST contain ALL gpx files, OLD and NEW, that you want the Nuvi to have as Custom POIs. Then go ahead with POI Loader, which will ERASE the existing .gpi file and REPLACE it with the one currently being created.

Rapp

Edited by - GPSrapp on 11 juil. 2006 20:03:56
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,44 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05