Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2166

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Software
 MS Streets and Trips, AutoRoute, and MapPoint
 MapPoint 2006 arrived today !
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  00:50:23  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

A few moments ago a DHL delivery person handed to me a brown envelope containing 2 CD's of Microsoft MapPoint 2006 ;-)

It's dinner time now, but I will look at it a bit later...

Marvin Hlavac______________
iG customization | AR and S&T Tips & Tricks

Ads

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  21:59:39  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There likely isn't much need in describing all the many new GPS related features in MS MapPoint 2006 because all the improvements that we have seen over the last two version years in MS Streets & Trips 2005 and 2006 are now also in MapPoint 2006. If you are not familiar with the new GPS navigation functionality, then read the following several pages long discussion at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37982, that is exactly what I now see in MP 06 as well.

If MP has the same look, feel, and GPS functionality as it's dirt-cheap brother S&T, why would someone in their right mind ever consider buying the ten times more expensive MP? Well, for the purposes of users on this forum, a potentially big advantage may the the fact that MP is programmable and developers may build add-on applications to enhance functionality of the program.

Since a new version of MapPoint is not released annually, users have found a creative (unsupported) way to update road map data by using fresher map data in Streets & Trips. This time around however the map data used in MP 06 is apparently based on Q3 2005 NavTeq version. That would mean MP 2006 now contains navigable maps approximately one year newer than S&T 2006(!)

The old MP 2004, as well as S&T 2006, don’t even allow to zoom in on US Virgin Islands closer than altitude of 95 miles or 150 kilometres. The new MapPoint 2006 now offers full detailed coverage of the three U.S. Virgin Islands of St. Croix, St. John and St. Thomas. The map of these U.S. territories includes all roadways covering the 135 miles of land and the approximately 110,000 inhabitants of these islands.

Six months ago we have seen street level coverage of Mexico City added to Streets & Trips 2006. The Map of Mexico in MapPoint 2006 now also includes detailed coverage of Monterrey, the second largest commercial city in the country.

However, I looked around Mexico, but other then Mexico City and Monterrey I failed to find another location with street-level coverage, even though NavTeq over a year ago did have also coverage of over 75 popular tourist destinations including locations such as Acapulco, Ixtapa, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. None of the above have local streets in MP 06 yet.

I'm happy to report that in my neighbourhood a Hwy-404 exit to Elgin Mills road, which opened barely a year ago is now in MP 06 ;-)

Good news for MSDN subscribers! Microsoft MapPoint 2006 North America is now available as a download. The European version will likely be available in a few weeks, too.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 29 avr. 2006 23:11:46
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  22:15:50  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this preview, sounds like MP6=MP4+NTq305+st06GPS ?
Any sense as to whether there are new PRO features or hooks for developers, especially for tracking apps ?

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  03:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes,exactly. The new MP 06 = new maps + all the new GPS features seen in S&T 06.

Chris Pendleton of Microsoft Corporation MapPoint Business Unit wrote in his MSDN Blog: "There was talk about rewriting the product in managed code and improving the API integration but we couldn't find time - the developers share time with other products. The only changes to the API are that the Location object supports two new properties: Latitude and Longitude."

On Monday I will try to find the time to take MP 06 on the road and perhaps try the good old AGPS by Chun-Li Pu. If I recall correctly it was able to add automatic route recalculation to previous MP versions - something neither MP 06 nor S&T 06 still can do on their own ;-)

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  22:59:01  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Microsoft MapPoint 2006 has the most complete map of Canada I have seen to this date. This is the very first time I have ever seen any navigable map of the Nunavut territory. It’s not that anyone would want to venture there by a car. That is impossible. Only an airplane can bring you there ;-)

Earlier maps would show only a dot where various communities are in Nunavut, but MP 2006 shows local roads! So if you ever find yourself in that part of Canadian Arctic, borrow a dog sled, start your laptop, load Microsoft MapPoint 2006 and have fun!

Canada's most northerly community, Grise Fiord lies on the southern shore of Ellesmere Island in the Far North. Its Inuit name, Aujuittuq, means 'place that never thaws'. Population is 163.

Now I wonder if NavTeq team researchers actually visited here to collect the road attributes ;-)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  23:10:48  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting although as you point out probably not terribly useful ;-)

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2006 :  00:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it indeed is great to know the maps are getting better

For the European version of MapPoint 2006, which will be released a few weeks after the North American version comes to stores, here is the coverage info:

Detailed street-level maps and address find capability for Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

In addition, MapPoint European edition will provide some street-level coverage, but does not support address find, for Andorra, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Guernsey, Hungary, Ireland, Isle of Man, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Monaco, Poland, Romania, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia and Vatican City.

*red color indicates countries not previously covered by MapPoint and/or AutoRoute

Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  13:15:59  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bye Bye Old Technology, Welcome SiRFstarIII

The following is copied from: http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/products/2006/default.mspx#1
MapPoint 2006 with GPS Locator features the SiRF Star III chipset, the latest GPS technology – offering faster signal acquisition and higher sensitivity. This means your location will appear on the map quickly, and will stay on the map even in the midst of urban canyons, heavy foliage, and frequently even indoors.

EDIT: The above image of iGPS-500 may not necessarily represent the actual iGPS-500 included with MP 06. Read this thread for more info and view pictures by jgoulden on the following page.

Edited by - Marvin Hlavac on 03 mai 2006 11:49:44
Go to Top of Page

stmintz

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  17:37:33  Show Profile  Visit stmintz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So you all know, I did email Pharos and was told that the new igps-500 will _not_ support igps-360 accessories. Although some pictures looked like their connectors were similar, they claim that the igps-500 is so small that the older parts will not fit. I am sure this was entirely unintentional (uh huh).

Also, Microsoft's website claims that Mappoint 2006 with GPS receiver is "in stores now." Anyone have any ideas when we will be able to buy the igps-500 seperately?

Sean

Edited by - stmintz on 02 mai 2006 17:43:02
Go to Top of Page

jgoulden

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  21:40:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stmintz

So you all know, I did email Pharos and was told that the new igps-500 will _not_ support igps-360 accessories. Although some pictures looked like their connectors were similar, they claim that the igps-500 is so small that the older parts will not fit.

That's interesting, but not entirely accurate. While there may be some older, larger GPS-360's out there, all of the ones we have are the exact same size as the GPS-500 that came with our copy of MapPoint 2006. All of our GPS-360's came bundled with Streets & Trips 2005.

The only visible differences between the two are the stickers on the bottom of the units, and the number of "pins" on the connector. The GPS-360 units have 6 pins, whereas the GPS-500 models have 7 pins (in the same amount of physical space). Accessories, such as the USB cable and the iGPS-BT Bluetooth module, interface just fine with either GPS unit.

If anyone wishes I will take some photos later today that show the two GPS units in detail.
Go to Top of Page

stmintz

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  21:47:27  Show Profile  Visit stmintz's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in seeing. I was unaware that there were different sized versions of the igps-360 (and the person I talked with at Pharos certainly did not suggest anything like this to be the case). Mine must be the older, larger model seen in the picture posted by Marvin.

Very interesting.

Sean
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93884 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  22:01:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hum, no only one size the 360 has been available since 2003 see some background info here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?id=305, the smaller SiRFIII 500 pictured by Marvin has not really been made available up to now and Pharos have not replied to the 3 emails I sent them about it...Now it's possible a new version of the 500 has been rush released with the casing of the 360 with a SiRFstarIII GPS module.

junji98

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  22:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, as a newbie, i was wondering what the difference is between map point and S&T. i did see the new gps receiver, but am not sure about the nuances of the software. i tried looking into the thread/online magazine, but could not really understand much. i have SA 2005 and S&T 2006.

thanks

ed in toronto
Go to Top of Page

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  23:46:06  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Ed, S&T 2006 and MP 2006 have the same interface. When you look at them, you cannot tell them apart ;-) One difference is that MapPoint also contains demographic data. The demographic data may be of interest to some businesses requiring it for analysis purposes. Another difference is the ability of MapPoint to be controlled programmatically. This second feature is more interesting for users thinking of using MapPoint (instead of S&T) for GPS navigation. A skilful programmer may create a little add-in utility for example simplifying the use of the software. MapPoint (just like S&T) is still quite awkward to use for in-car navigation, and the user experience could be potentially improved quite a lot by add-in software.

Another difference is that MP 06 has about one year fresher map data in comparison to S&T 06. A slightly bigger geographical area of North America is covered, too.

Go to Top of Page

junji98

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2006 :  04:13:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input marvin. i think that is too complicated for novices like me. haha. i do wish though that S&T has an auto re route function as we frequently missed turns when we were in washington dc recently. have you tried new gps receivers (the sirf iii ones) with S&T 2006? are they a lot faster than the old ones? i have an earthmate that came with SA 2005. was wondering if it was worth it to get a faster/more efficient receiver.

thanks.

ed

ed in toronto
Go to Top of Page

ZappCatt

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 03 mai 2006 :  05:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Mappoint stil allow you to enter in the speeds for streets, or has it moved to the stupid sliders?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05