Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 News
 PPC 4.71 "Fanfare" back up
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 30

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  18:16:22  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, folks,

4.71 is back up.

http://www.kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/PPC/4.71Final/

and download this:

Mapopolis_Pocket_PC_v4.71.05_Setup.exe

Version 4.71.05 or 4.71 Final

* This fixes a memory error that should remove a source of crashes.

Version 4.71.04 "Single Track" 13 June 2006

* Fixes bug with using the Irish major roads map to open county maps
This applies to any region where they use the form "County X" instead of "X County" in naming their counties.

Version 4.71.03 "Sea Train" 27 Apr 2006

All Platforms:
* Fixes cosmetic bug in Color Settings window which failed to consider DST when showing the times of dawn/dusk
* Fixes bug which prevented the satellite display from updating while waiting for a fix
* Fixes bug setting the default value of the "Use GAPI" option which had been incorrectly turned off by default for most users

Pocket PC:
* (Treo 700w) Fixes bug which prevented the use of three POI categories in the Find All Places By Type window on Pocket PCs with square displays (petrol/gasoline stations, tourist attractions, and sports complex)

PPC Diagnostic Edition:
* Fixes bug which made this edition unable to save/load settings due to assertion failures
* Adds diagnostics intended to find the cause of the "GPS Update" crashes (WM 32770 in the crash logs)

Version 4.71.02 "Laika" 25 Apr 2006

* Adds new option to "[X] Use GAPI for Video Performance" in order to turn off GAPI if undesired. It is not possible to turn on GAPI if it is off by default.
* Fixes incompatibility with the WM5 GPS applet control panel so that virtual ports now work in Mapopolis, including GPD1
* Fixes bugs in the data validation for GGA sentences in GPS data
* Fixes GPS dead zones along 1 degree south latitude, and 1 degree east longitude (no longer uses -1 as an error code)
* Fixes bug which caused the PPC title bar to appear at the same time as a Proximity Alert message box
* Improves error handling for GPS "zero" data
* Shows "GPS Not Responding (COMn:)" over the navigation pane, instead of "Not Responding"
* Improves speed of data validation used for setting the clock from GPS data
* Increases diagnostic build life from 14 days to 30 days from when they are built.
* Changes "[X] Blink LED at Index [list]" to "Select LED or vibrator [list]" with the added list option "NONE" to disable the feature in the absence of the removed checkbox
* Changes the Set Clock from GPS Data feature to allow the clock to be out of sync by up to 2 seconds from the GPS (to improve performance/speed issues).
* Fixes incorrect window title on the Sounds Settings window

Version 4.71.01 "Learning to Fly" 6 Apr 2006

FEATURES:

* Restructures backend of Landmark and Street/Address searching (search result data management)
* Enhances Find Contacts
- searches by zip code when possible
- searches by city when possible (fixes bugs)
- automatically searches unopened maps for the address, if not found among open maps
* Enhances alphabetical sorting to sort by distance when names match in Find Address, Find Intersection, Find Place or Business.
* Enhances Text-To-Speech to recognize "Ext" as an abbreviation for "Extension"
* Enhances the speed of Finding Contiguous Maps (from >20 minutes to <4 seconds with 1GB of maps), and replaced the related status window with the standard animated wait cursor.

CHANGES:

* Changes default option for "Set Clock from GPS" This is now OFF by default.
* Moves the Map Colors Settings window contents to the left (cosmetic change)
* Changes the Set Clock from GPS Data feature to do nothing at all if asked to change the current year
* Changes the Set Clock from GPS Data feature to set the clock after 30 seconds has passed, instead of after every 20th GPS data cycle

BUG FIXES:

* Fixes bug with mismatched "On or Near Street" text showing incorrect information in Find Place or Business
* Fixes bug that allowed the last-entered Find Address search to affect the Find Contacts search results and default data shown when Find Contacts fails and opens Find Address
* Fixes bug with horizontal scroll bars not scroll list-view contents
* Fixes cosmetic bug in the display of Dawn/Dusk times to include padding zeros, as is the usual tradition when writing the time
* Fixes truncated text "Show Automatically requires GPS" which should now fit entirely on the display
* Fixes truncated text in the warning message about duplicate map files
* Fixes bug in error message which would incorrectly say that a voice file did not exist when the real problem was something else, such as a lack of memory
* Fixes bug that showed "x/y/z" in the status box window
* Adds data validation for GPS time stamps, to avoid using wildly incorrect time values to set the clock such as all-zeroes, or day 32 of a month, etc
* Fixes potential buffer overrun error in the Set Clock from GPS Data feature
* Fixes cosmetic issues with the size of the list boxes in Hardware Settings and Find Place or Business/Landmark windows
* Fixes bug when starting GPS, either manually or automatically, which failed to honor the option to Retry Failed Connections forever
* Fixes bug which would show the GPS Diagnostic message when tapping on the menubar - it now checks for the upper AND LOWER bound of the Not Responding strip for this screen tap response

Lamar

"Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives, and the serious part of frivolous ones." -- Anne Sophie Swetchine

Edited by - lamar@mapopolis.com on 12 juil. 2006 14:45:40

Ads

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  19:21:37  Show Profile
Is this a PPC only beta release? There was a number of Smartphone specific bugs outstanding, that didn't get fixed for the 4.7 release, that was promised to be taken care of as part of the next beta round.

Other than that, great to see the ball rolling again :-)

And welcome back Lamar!

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  20:18:13  Show Profile
Hi Allan,

Smartphone is included in the new beta and fixes several bugs. Please check out the Beta thread for the Smartphone beta discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  20:25:03  Show Profile
On second thought, I don't see an updated topic for the new beta under the Beta forum where we usually discuss Smartphone, so here are the Smartphone additions to the list above:

* (Smartphone) Fixes error 5041 on resulting from the presence of duplicate maps in the system
* (Smartphone) Fixes bug in Find Address window which caused the last letter entered in the search text to be ignored
* (Smartphone) Fixes bug which swapped the meaning of the Select Address and Select Intersection commands when finding a route
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  20:59:16  Show Profile
Hi Ris, not sure weather to post SmartPhone issues here so forgive me if I am wrong.

4.7.01 whenever you press Done on the choose map screen the phone 'doinks'

When not navigating pressing This location now brings up a two line panel. The bottom line has the information for this location and the top line says Not Responding etc in red letters

The search mechanism now works correctly. I.E. it start to search after you press a key (also seems faster )

This was the same in 4.70RC4, when I press my hotkey for GPS it takes me straight to the satellite status screen rather than the gps page

I don't know if this is intentional but when not navigating and after searching for a favourite the crosshair disappears for a few seconds then comes back

Minor cosmetic issue still remains with editing POI's on QVGA screens.

Otherwise looks good

Orange C550, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

gordias

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  22:03:06  Show Profile
Testing 4.71 now - I already checked and the GPS hardware button toggle is still broken like I reported.

Qtek 9090 WM2003SE / GlobalSat BT 338 GPS
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  22:25:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gordias

Testing 4.71 now - I already checked and the GPS hardware button toggle is still broken like I reported.

Hi Gordias, I'm sorry, but I'm not able to reproduce this problem. Do you have any other commands mapped to the same button from other software? Do you have the Use As Global Hotkeys option turned on or off?
EDIT: Also, are you able to access the GPS windows using the main menu instead of the hardware button?

Edited by - Ris on 06 avr. 2006 23:00:35
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  22:51:27  Show Profile
I can confirm most of Dr. Strangetricks observations. Though I've not connected to my GPS tonight, so aspects related to that will have to wait for tomorrow.

It's true: Searching is MUCH faster on the Smartphone Unscientific observation would say twice as fast at least. Might as well add that as a feature.

And search dialogue works now - searches as in the old times as soon as keys are pressed.

I have to please please in this area though: Automatically switch input mode to "abc" if it's at "T9" or something else. Someone posted the code for doing here at the forum some months back. And even more importantly: Could we please make the city/zip field to take input rather than just paging up/down?

When I press the button I've mapped to GPS Communication, I go to that screen and not the Satellite screen. So it seems OK to me.

The titles of some of the settings windows are still "crazy" and not identical to what's in the menu. E.g. try going to the Sounds settings screen and whatch what it shows in the window title...

Feels like we're shaking out the last few bugs and getting ready to move towards new improvements. Can't wait...

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  22:57:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_StrangeTrick

4.7.01 whenever you press Done on the choose map screen the phone 'doinks'

When not navigating pressing This location now brings up a two line panel. The bottom line has the information for this location and the top line says Not Responding etc in red letters
Please correct me if I'm wrong...

1) you have Mapopolis set to start GPS at program startup

2) you have started Mapopolis without the GPS hardware available

3) 4.71.01 adds the following change:
* Fixes bug when starting GPS, either manually or automatically, which failed to honor the option to Retry Failed Connections Forever

Maybe I should clarify about this change: it also now tries 3 times automatically before giving up entirely, even without the option to Retry Forever, where previously it only tried once.

4) It shows "Not Responding" over the This Location panel to remind you that GPS is active in Mapopolis but the hardware is not responding. On Pocket PC, tapping on this strip brings up a message with more information and a button to automatically soft-reset which can sometimes fix bluetooth connection death. On Smartphone, there's no touch screen, and the OS doesn't provide the soft reset API, so that feature is unavailable, but it still shows "Not Responding" to let you know there is a GPS problem.

5) I think it bonked at you after choosing maps because GPS was active in Mapopolis, it tried to center on the current position, but it had no fix, so it bonked to let you know there is a GPS problem.

Does that answer your question and solve your problem?

quote:
The search mechanism now works correctly. I.E. it start to search after you press a key (also seems faster )
Yay! Actually it *should* be a little faster for several reasons, so I'm glad that it's noticable.

quote:
This was the same in 4.70RC4, when I press my hotkey for GPS it takes me straight to the satellite status screen rather than the gps page
Ah I'm sorry for not explaining sooner. This is actually a "feature" that the Smartphone edition inherited from the Pocket PC edition somewhere in the 4.6x betas. The hardware button for "GPS" remembers whether you were last viewing Data or Satellites.

To get it unstuck from the satellite display, view the GPS data window by any other mechanism, for example from the Satellite display, go to Menu > View GPS Data > Done ... now when you press your hardware button for "GPS" it should go to the Data display.

quote:
I don't know if this is intentional but when not navigating and after searching for a favourite the crosshair disappears for a few seconds then comes back
Not intentional - I suspect it is confused because GPS is running without a fix. We'll fix that.

quote:
Minor cosmetic issue still remains with editing POI's on QVGA screens.
OK, hmmm, I'm not getting that on my SPVe200. This was one of those things I had hoped was fixed indirectly. Oh well, I'll check the code for anything suspicious. Thanks for letting us know it's still there.

Wait a sec... your C550... is that a square display 240x240, 92-DPI, WM2003SE? The squareness may be the significant detail I was overlooking...

quote:
Otherwise looks good
Great thanks!

Best Regards,
Ris

Project Manager for Windows Mobile Platforms
Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code; C Code Run; Run Code Run; Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

gdio53

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  01:23:05  Show Profile
One small bug.
I have it set to change day/night colors automatically, but the times shown in the Map Colors menu are off by one hour. I live in a time zone that observes DST, Mapopolis shows 18:22 as the time to change, when it should be 19:22

Thanks,

Gary

Dell Axim X50v | BT-338 | Lexar 1gb SD
Go to Top of Page

gordias

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  02:38:24  Show Profile
Hi Ris,
I unreservedly withdraw the complaint After a soft reset I am getting the old, stable behaviour. Click GPS and I see the satellite display; right or left arrows to cycle through the other GPS screens; click GPS again and if not displaying GPS status or satellites then I am taken back to satellites, click once more for back to map, or else straight back to map on the second click. If that all makes sense?!

Either way all is well. By the way, no I do not have use as Global Hot Keys checked. This also means that my OK button (mapped to GPS) functions as OK whenever the title bar shows (I normally do not display it). Thus permitting easier use of Mapopolis menus without needing to poke at corners of the screen, whilst we are waiting for nice chunky on-screen buttons you understand

Many thanks for your continued engagement and support.

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  06:57:41  Show Profile
Hi Ris, thanks for your reply.

I know what the red strip is telling me, perhaps I should have explained that in 4.70RC4 this red strip never appeared. If I went to the satellite page and checked in there it would say not running etc. What I mean to say is this extra line is taking up a chunk of the screen and if possible could this be removed if Mapopolis has been started without an active GPS connection I.E. if you are just browsing your maps.

Thanks for speeding up the searches and for explaining the satellite page (I have been testing external antennas)

With reference to the crosshair I was not complaining I actually like it like that, nothing to clutter up the screen. Maybe this could become permanent and only bring the crosshair back when you press 'This Location' as it serves no purpose without the this location panel open

Also the C550 is QVGA that is 320x220 not square. Check my previous post here but like I said its only cosmetic and does not affect the function of the software at all.

Like Alan I have not tried this version driving yet, but I will today.

Many thanks.

Orange C550, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  09:32:10  Show Profile
So I've found the most crazy set of bugs in the dawn/dusk switching feature! Sorry to even bring this up again

First issue:
When I start Mapopolis without having the GPS turned on, it shows that dawn/dusk switching will occur at 6:12/19:51. Local almanac says sunrise/sunset today is 6.28 / 19:57, so overall that seems quite reasonable.

BUT! As soon as I turn on the GPS - no matter whether there's a satellite link or not - Mapopolis now says it will switch at 5:22/19:01 !!!! It winds back 50 min. (I'm almost certain, but it could also have been 60 min.).

Second issue:
When running without GPS connected and having a stated dawn/dusk switching at 6:12/19:51, I try to verify this by changing the time on my Smartphone and starting Mapopolis. This experiment shows, that it will actually not change the day/night colour at the displayed time, but instead at 7:12/20:51!!!!

I'm in the GMT+1 time zone, and we have changed to Daylight Savings Time (DST). So these bugs is probably related to either one or the other as both is about adding/subtracting 1 hour with regards of displayed time vs. actual time. I haven't been able to test yet, but given that Mapopolis changes switching time back about 1 hour when having the GPS connected and at the same time changes day/night colours 1 hour later than displayed, it would probably mean that it will actually happen at the right time with the GPS connected. But it won't when the GPS is not connected, and the switch time displayed is not the same as what is actually used.

On a side note, I still continue to experience that Mapopolis stops responding when in subscreens from the main screen and I have to kill it from a task manager or even turn off the phone. This bug is getting annoying.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

pocket1

21 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  15:23:33  Show Profile
Some recent problems with the latest (4.71.01). BTW, great work on support!:
1. checking 'set time from GPS' option causes Mapopolis to use up most CPU. This seems to be low priority as it doesn't seem to slow down any functionality but it does drain battery significantly. To verify CPU use freeware xscalemonitor at http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/xscalemonitor.shtml
Unchecking the option will bring down CPU usage almost immediately.

2. With 'retry GPS connection forrever', bring up Mapopolis with no GPS connected. Try to type in an address in 'search address', and often, the keyboard will lose focus on the input textbox. This only happens when the GPS is not connected. If you have trouble getting this behavior, try opening an application such as contacts before opening Mapopolis. Also, occassionally, the Mapopolis screen will suddenly switch to another running program -- this also happens only when the GPS is not connected. This problem basically means (for me) that Mapopolis needs to be shut down whenever not connected to GPS.
Go to Top of Page

mswlogo

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  18:05:07  Show Profile
[quote
- searches by zip code when possible
- searches by city when possible (fixes bugs)
[/quote]

As you would expect, I'm thrilled you guys started working on this.

I tried several contact addresses and some work excellent (i.e. fast). But some other addresses now no longer work at all.

Here is one that no longer works (remember this is from a contact address and it's under Work). This is in the MiddleSex MA Map.

50 Union Ave
Sudbury, MA 01776

I tried to find it with the normal street finder and it works fine. When using Contacts it pops up the hourglass for what appears too short a time (compared to ones that worked), then shows a map it's searching briefly and then returns to the map view where I last left it. With no error or anything.

Update:

I did some more testing. I tested more addresses near where I knew address worked and they worked. Then I tested more addresses near an address that didn't work and they did not work. So I thought perhaps it had to do with order of maps or something. So I loaded only the map of the town that didn't work (Middlesex MA) and the address above (50 Union Ave) now started to work (well I thought it did). This is what's really strange is if I zoom out on the map after a look up. There is a dozen or so of those little purple and blue "location" houses all over the map. Like it found the contact address in a dozen places (different zip codes) and marked them all. And when you click on them they all have the last contact address I just looked up.

So figured out what's going on. If the street address is unique with in all the maps (or map, not sure) it works. But if it's not unique instead of bringing up the list for you to pick from. It marks them all on the map. Now it also appears it's not using the zip code because if it was the address is unique and should only mark one.

One other thing I noticed that when I select my one map, I often went in again to check and another map was selected that I know I didn't select. It so happens to be the first map that gets automagically selected.

Hope this helps.

Update 2:

Wiped everything.
Loaded MiddleSex MA, Worcester MA, Grafton NH and Major Roads NH, MA.
Looked up contact at 50 Union Ave, Sudbury MA 01776. It put a bunch of purple houses in Worcester MA and Grafton NH but not in MiddleSex MA (where it actually was). I unloaded Worcester MA, looked up again and now it found 3 or so in Middlsex MA.

By the way I have switched devices to a PPC-6700 (ROM 2) which is WM5.

Edited by - mswlogo on 10 avr. 2006 18:27:11
Go to Top of Page

twebdonny

10 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  20:25:03  Show Profile
Any idea why my anti-spyware flags the 4.7.01 app as a trojan generic?

I'm sure it's not, but for some reason it flags it.

Using Adelphia's Freedom Anti-Virus

Thanks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 30 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05