Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2275

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Garmin nüvi forums
 Not Happy with 3.20 firmware (nuvi)
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

lowspeed

203 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  18:33:35  Show Profile  Visit lowspeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It seems like the GPS puts you at about 40 feet away from where you actually are. and the accuracy on the screen shows as 14 feet....

Whats up with that ?

I missed so many close turns the other day driving in phili.

Ads

sasovics

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  20:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Folks,

I am not happy with new 3.20 Firmware at all. Since I have upgraded I am experiencing problems with acquiring satellites as some of you have already described.
If I leave my GPS unit off for more than 4 hours (let's say overnight) and then I turn it on, it acquires satellites for more than 5 minutes than it starts questioning: "Trouble tracking satellites, Indoor?" "Have you moved ...? " Now the interesting thing is, when I answer YES to "Have you moved question" it starts locating satellites and after a while (minute or two) it gets the lock and is functional normally.
If I answer NO, it continues acquiringand nothing happens (the signal indicator is showing the smaller very first bar in red).

If I get my GPS working and then I turn it of for a very small time period (let's say 20 -30 minutes) and then I switch it on, get GPS lock instantly.
But in this case I got another strange behavior. The GPS starts navigating and just after 30 sec or so it looses focus and starts acquiring. This happened to me 3x already after so called warm start.

I have contacted GAMIN Tech Support and they advised me to do a complete "User Clean" in maintenance mode, I did, but it did not help at all. The strange thing is that I did not experience this in former FW releases. I tried to downgrade my FW back to 2.90 (as far as I remember my GPS was working perfectly with this release) but no success.
I tried to load the 2.90 FW back to GPS, but after I disconnected the USB cable and the GPS restarted, it did not prompt for SW upgrade.
Did anybody of you guys try to downgrade FW on NUVI 350 ? If so, what is the procedure ? I am almost 99% sure that this is happening because of 3.20 FW release.

If you have any comments, or similar experiences, please respond to this thread.

Best Regards to all of you,
sasovics
Go to Top of Page

lowspeed

203 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  21:39:34  Show Profile  Visit lowspeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I called Garmin.... the guy told me i could revert back to old versions... and gave me (check this out) the following link:

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/

A non Garmin web site with their old firmwares....

When i told him that as far as i know you can't revert back a firmware he kept saying go to that site and it should work....

So is it possible to revert back or not ?

Edited by - lowspeed on 03 avr. 2006 21:40:36
Go to Top of Page

sasovics

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  22:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lowspeed

I called Garmin.... the guy told me i could revert back to old versions... and gave me (check this out) the following link:

http://gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/

A non Garmin web site with their old firmwares....

When i told him that as far as i know you can't revert back a firmware he kept saying go to that site and it should work....

So is it possible to revert back or not ?

I went to the same web site, have downloaded FW versions 2.90 and 2.70.
They are the same installers you could have find on GARMIN's web site when they were new releases that time.
I tried to install this update (actually downgrade the FW to 2.90)
I followed the instructions - Connected NUVI to USB, uploaded FW to NUVI, when it said FINISH and disconnect NUVI from USB and wait to restart I did so...
From my experience when NUVI reboots after FW transfer, a small window pops up saying: "Do you want to upgrade FW to 2.XX or 3.XX?"
And actually this have not happend. Nuvi continues running on it's current 3.20 FW.

Any clues ?
Go to Top of Page

lowspeed

203 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  22:20:03  Show Profile  Visit lowspeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What upsets me is that i was on wait for like 40 minutes untill that guy answered. And then i had a feeling he would be totally useless.

Go to Top of Page

sasovics

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  22:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What upsets me is that i was on wait for like 40 minutes untill that guy answered. And then i had a feeling he would be totally useless.

I can imagine! I was on the line for 35 minutes, then I gave up.
I mailed them instead...

BTW.. have you experienced any of these satellite acquiring issues I described above with this FW release ? Or you just have a problem with accuracy ?
Go to Top of Page

lowspeed

203 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  22:30:34  Show Profile  Visit lowspeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I get very quick SAT acquisitions... usually within 10-20 seconds.
Go to Top of Page

sasovics

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  22:34:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I get very quick SAT acquisitions... usually within 10-20 seconds.

I get it too when we are talking about so called warm SAT acquisitions.
I am having problems with COLD acquisitions, which occures when your unit is OFF for more than 4 hours.

Anyway, if you or anybody else gets that FW downgrading working,
I would appreciate a simple procedure very much

Go to Top of Page

lowspeed

203 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  22:53:09  Show Profile  Visit lowspeed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was talking about COLD but at the same location where i stopped... so if i leave the GPS overnight then use it ... thats about how long it takes to get a signal.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  23:28:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After 4 hours it's COLD or WARM depending on whether you've moved or not, most likely not so that would be WARM. If you nûvi has a good view of the sky, it should take between 45 and 60 seconds to get a fix (30 seconds to download the ephemeris in the best case scenario see here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157&page=3#ttff ), if it takes longer in these conditions, then it's likely there is a problem with the antenna or LNA (signal amplifier) that causes signal to be too weak for epehmeris downloading (needs 28dB-Hz+) but SiRFIII can track at 15dB-Hz so once you have the epehemeris eventually, the problem goes away, it's rare but it happens, and you'll need to have it fixed.

The GPS firmware remains unchanged with the v3.20 software upgrade, so it's not related to the upgrade.

sasovics

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  00:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
EDIT

That must be a very big coincidence then. My unit started going "mad" just after upgrade to 3.20
So are you suggesting to send my unit in for repair?

I have read from some members who have sent their item in for repair, and Garmin has sent them a replacement - a refurbished item not a brand new one. I would not been happy if I would get a refurbished item as a replacement instead of a brand new one or mine already repaired...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93999 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  01:14:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Stranger things have happened, I'm just helping buy pointing out the way a GPS works so you can get a better handle on the problem. Maybe you're using it in a different environment, maybe you used it in another car that has a coated windshield, etc...

PS - By the way, no need to quote a message directly above yours.

KL

Canada
24 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  15:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Received my unit yesterday morning (FW V2.80)and played with it throughout the day, the only quirky aspect I noticed is the 400 series highways here 401, 403, 407 etc. are prounced "Four Hundred and One", "Four Hundred and Three" etc. when everyone here prounced it Four-Oh-One, Four-Oh-Three etc., but I thought I could live with that.

Upgraded to FW V3.20 last night, had no problems at all, used it this morning driving to work, was pleasantly surprised that the prounceation has been fixed, satellite acquisition was very quick at only a few seconds, and the satellite page showed 3 meter (9 feet) accuracy.

So I haven't had any negative points yet with FW 3.20
Go to Top of Page

chrisvl

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  15:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sasovics,

Where are u located? Are you leaving the Nuvi outside overnight or in the car outside when it's cold. I've notice a Sat. acquisition problem if the unit is not warm temperature wise. I have reproduced it repeatedly and I'm sure I saw a thread here on it. Just a thought.
I'm on 3.2 now without any problems.

Hey KL maybe I passed you this morning.

Nuvi 350 in Infiniti FX35

Edited by - chrisvl on 04 avr. 2006 15:40:58
Go to Top of Page

sasovics

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  16:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chrisvl,

I am located in Wayne, NJ. And yes, I use to leave my GPS in car overnight. I will try to take it in overnight and let's see what happens. If this is the case, that is a big coincidence that it started happening just after 3.20 FW upgrade. I'll keep you posted.

Edited by - sasovics on 04 avr. 2006 17:22:02
Go to Top of Page

HyperM3

USA
199 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  17:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I finally used my unit after the 3.20 upgrade. I have had no problems getting satellite lock in a very short amount of time. I dont use WAAS anymore though and that has seemed to help aquisition times immensely. That being said, my range showed me 14 feet accuracy but put me on a different road/lane on the turnpike which is about 100 feet away. It kept me on that other lane my whole way until I took the exit. This never happened with 3.10 version. Also, Im noticing icons being trapped under the highlighted path again. Not sure if its the road names or other types of things.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05