Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Smartphones and PDAs with built-in GPS
 REVIEW - ETEN G500 - First PDAPhone with SiRFIII
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2006 :  17:07:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ETEN G500 - PDAPhone with SiRFstarIII - REVIEWED

http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=179

The Eten G500 is the first PDAPhone with a built-in SiRFstarIII GPS chipset and is only the second PDAPhone with a GPS to become available after the HP hw6515 released in August 2005 in Europe and late 2005 in the US (see the full review). I've been testing it for a few days, mainly looking at the GPS side of things. This message will be updated with new findings as well as the feedback of others posted below.

1. COMMENTS AND OBSERVATIONS
    1. GPS Performance : I put the Eten G500 through my usual side by side testing, with the Asus A636 (GPS PDA) and the Globalsat BT-338 (Bluetooth GPS), references in their category. The results can be seen below and confirm the good overall impression made by the G500 in this area. In terms of TTFF (time to first fix), cold starts ("cold" and "warm" fix) are similar to that of the BT-338 and Asus A636, varying between 45 and 60 seconds with a good view of the sky, so there's no comparison with the endless TTFF of the Qtek G100/Pharos 525 (> 180 seconds). Same comments for the hot starts ("hot" fix), less than 2 seconds when exiting a tunnel for instance. Good news overall and it shows that it is possible to build a PDA with no external antenna and retain good performance, something we feared would not be possible after experiencing with the Qtek G100/Pharos 525 (seehere for details) and to a lesser extent with the Loox N520

2. In these three difficult situations with some sharp turns between high rise buildings, the three GPSr's behave well, with some slight multipath drifting that would not cause any guidance problems with road software

The G500 is slightly behind in terms of satellites in the fix, but the margin (need 3+ satellites) remains good. The decent signal level shows that in spite of the concealed antenna, sensitivity remains good

3. GPS Firmware : version 3.1.1 (full list), so it will not be compatible with the AGPS over the internet offered by SiRFInstantFix (faster TTFF, see here for details) unlike the Mio A701

4. Battery life with GPS : my first test runs have shown unexpected results with battery life remaining at an exceptional 55% after 4 hours of continuous GPS use running VirtualGPS CE, with the closest competition (Asus A636 and Qtek G100) showing 20%! This is likely due to the Samsung CPU going into very low power mode, so I will do more testing with a GPS app running in demo mode too. This has now been done, but the results are quite comparable. I have also noticed now that even though the battery level remains high (40+%) the G500 turns itself off so there might be some calibration issues here.

5. GPS Software compatibility : I was able to run Mapopolis, TomTom v5 and iGuidance v2.13 without any problems on COM Port 4. As usual there is a slight hit in performance when switching to portrait mode courtesy of the software rotation forced by Microsoft. Standard GPS utilities (see here) such as CE Monitor worked fine, but APLSiRF made me "lose" the GPS when switching to SiRF and only removing the main battery restored the connection to the GPS

6. RDS/FM TMC Module : The G500 is the first PDA to include an RDS/FM TMC module to receive traffic information, which isn't unexpected since the GPS module was done with the help of Royaltek and as we saw at CES they're going "full out" for TMC. Two major problems at this point though, you need to plug in the external headphones to act as an FM antenna, so no more voice guidance through the speakers (might be possible over Bluetooth thanks to A2DP) and the TMC messages that are added to the standard NMEA messages are not recognized by current TMC enabled GPS software like Navigon or Destinator as they are designed to work with the GNS modules that rely on a dual COM port interface.

7. Car holder : unlike the HP hw6515, the G500 comes with a car holder specifically designed to host it, a nice touch

8. Portrait and landscape modes, rotation cap and a tightening wheel

9. Bluetooth A2DP Stereo : the G500 includes the Bluetooth stereo A2DP profile that will come to other PDAs with the AKU2.0 WM5.0 upgrade. I did some testing with the Globalsat BTH-820 headset and it worked with MP3s played through WMPlayer, but the quality was poor (think very low bitrate mp3s), and this has to come from the G500 as the BTH-820 offers excellent quality when hooked up to the BTA-830 mini base station. UPDATE after temporarily losing bluetooth connectivity, it is back and I was able to verify that TomTom's voice instructions were streamed to the BT headset too, but at a low quality too

10. Overall impression : Like the Eten M500 and M600 PDAPhones, the G500 does not make a very favorable first impression due to its thickness and weight, especially compared to the HP hw6515, thinner, lighter but wider. The G500 feels a bit like a "brick" in spite of the rounded edges. Still, once you start using it, it's easy to get over this first impression and the good quality case makes it easy to carry it around.

Compared to the HP hw6515, Siemens SXG 75 and Nokia 6680

2. LINKS
    1. Manufacturer : Eten - link
    2. Other reviews : ...

Questions, comments ?

Ads

Marvin Hlavac

Canada
6904 Posts

Posted - 15 mars 2006 :  22:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Marvin Hlavac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice! So there is hope for internal GPS receivers after all! If I were in market to buy a new cell phone or a PDA or a gift for someone, I think this would be it.

Marvin Hlavac______________
iG customization | AR and S&T Tips & Tricks
Go to Top of Page

razza

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 17 mars 2006 :  13:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for yet another good read gpspassion. So glad that internal antennas are capable of producing some good results. I saw that you mentioned the FS N520. Did you do a review of this somewhere because I can't seem to find it? If not what's your general impression? I'm looking at geting the FS N560 (VGA screen goodness) and thinking it will perfrom the same as the N520 if not better. If that all fails I guess i'll wait till the Mio P550 is officially released.
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  11:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just got a G500 myself. However, I cant seem to get a fix /lock over here in Washington DC, even after 5 mins in the open. Am using Tom tom 5.21. How long did you take to get a fix?

Note- I just got here from using the set in Singapore without problems.
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  11:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, which firmware are you on?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  12:00:33  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You mean GPS firmware ? V3.1.1 as mentioned above ;-) As for getting a fix, the standard 45/60 seconds with a good view of the sky.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  12:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
45-60s!...something is definately wrong with mine. Can you tell your GPS and your TomTom settings?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  12:10:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You probably want to use a GPS utility to check that everything is ok, as the GPS module does all the work so if it works with the utility it will work with TomTom. A good one to use is CE Monitor you can get in the download section on the portal.

kuehn

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  21:23:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any plans to compare gps performance with the FS N560 and Mio a701?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 21 mars 2006 :  22:36:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure, as soon as they become available ;-)

As an update on the battery situation, I've run the test with TomTom in demo mode, but the results are quite comparable and I have noticed that even though the battery level remains high (40+%) the G500 turns itself off so there might be some calibration issues here.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2006 :  04:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I'm on the road right now and only have a Mac powerbook with me. Any way I can load ce monitor or similar software onto my G500?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 mars 2006 :  23:01:36  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can download it over the air diretly to your G500 http://www.gpspassion.com/upload/GPSmonitor1.1.zip, just unzip the .exe and click on it.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2006 :  06:08:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guess what. I got a message from Eten that they want to recall my G500 for hardware(not software) updates. Perhaps something WAS wrong with my set.

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2006 :  12:08:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really? Wow, how did they find you?! Any findings with CE Monitor ?

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2006 :  17:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I returned the G500 to the local Eten agent in Singapore( Trendsmobile) and they were kind enough to loan me an Eten M600 for the time being. Someone else also confirmed my findings that the GPS lock took a little longer.

Never did managed to install the CE Monitor...btw Eten M600 and a Holux GPSlim 236 works very well..
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2006 :  15:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im trying to get Tomtom Navigator 5 to work and i cant get it to see the GPS device. How do you set it up as the manual is useless.

Many thanks
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 31 mars 2006 :  23:03:16  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If memory serves it's on the COM4, possibly Serial IRDA, which I must admit is confusing.

marcelo

2 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  15:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice review on the G500.
Just got an Eten M600 and naturally would like a bluetooth GPS to leave behind my Etrex Legend, I am thinking on the Garmin GPS 10 but could not see a review on the site (others will gladly be considered as well).
Would like your opinion on such duo and naturally a software suggestion (is the G500 gps software available for the M600 and if so is it usable?)
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  16:49:21  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums.
I would stay away from the GPS10, nice design but weak performance comparted to the more modern SiRF based receivers, see the chipset comparison on the portal for more details on this.

marcelo

2 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  14:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply.
Done the homework and noticed the difference regarding the mentioned chip. Impressive.

Also reading between the lines appears that the bt338 is your "standard" reference if I am not wrong, thus I should go for that unit (but the solar powered unit appeals to me as well, is it that bad?).

What about a software to go with it considering autorouting/door to door/etc. is not needed since that unit will be used in S.America and as long as shows maps already in Garmin's Mapsource, upload/download tracks/routs/etc. would be OK. GPSDash maybe?

G500 software not available separately/download?

G500 holder (great) not available?

Thanks and sorry for the many questions
Marcelo
Go to Top of Page

bmrjus

36 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  01:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I am on my 4th 6515 and have given up. Being in the US, the G500 seems to be the only other option. In your review, you mentioned:
"GPS Firmware : version 3.1.1 (full list), so it will not be compatible with the AGPS over the internet offered by SiRFInstantFix (faster TTFF, see here for details) unlike the Mio A701"
With the 6515 globallocate was sending out updates -v1.28, 2.02 etc. Does this mean there will not be updates to the G500? I guess, what I'm askng is your opinion is between the 6515 and G500 with respect to AGPS 6515 and non g500. I wonder how much faster a a701 will obtain a lock over the G500? Probably a dumb question but I am new to GPS. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  01:22:41  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forums.
Well I have yet to test an A701, but the idea behind the "AGPS over the internet" available on the 6515 and A701 is that you no longer need to download the ephemeris data if you don't use your GPS for more than 4 hours, so you'll save a minimum of 30/35 seconds. Then the time to a fix will depend on a variety of factors, but in good conditions, the A710 and 6515 will fix in 5/10 seconds while the G500 will fix in about 45 seconds (10+35). You can read more about TTFF here : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157&page=3#ttff

psycogeek

232 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  07:07:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSpassion.
now that your done testing it, just pass it over this way :-)

i like that they finnaly put everything in one package, and left it open enough to link to adapt with, or use anything. and small enough to still fit in the pocket.
camera phone, pda, media, blueteeth,
fm radio too? they say its comming in it also?

Edited by - psycogeek on 06 avr. 2006 07:09:42
Go to Top of Page

bmrjus

36 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  23:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Welcome to the forums.
Well I have yet to test an A701, but the idea behind the "AGPS over the internet" available on the 6515 and A701 is that you no longer need to download the ephemeris data if you don't use your GPS for more than 4 hours, so you'll save a minimum of 30/35 seconds. Then the time to a fix will depend on a variety of factors, but in good conditions, the A710 and 6515 will fix in 5/10 seconds while the G500 will fix in about 45 seconds (10+35). You can read more about TTFF here : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157&page=3#ttff

Thanks for that! What I still don't understand is why you couldn't download the same SW that the A701 has on the g500? Or even use globallocate on the g500? I don't get why e-ten would preclude you from using agps software. Hope that makes sense. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  23:36:11  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sure ;-)
I'm not sure how the ephemeris data is making its way to the GPS receiver on the A701, some type of client application I supposed, but in any case it requires a specific version of the SiRFstarIII firmware and it's not included on the A701. We'll have to see if ETEN make an update available and if it's technically possible, might be some new hardware needed on the SiRFstarIII chipset. I asked SiRF at 3GSM and didn't really get a clear answer on that.

Honestly, waiting 30 seconds once a day is not the end of the world, not having to wait is nice though ;-)

bmrjus

36 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  00:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood. I'll ask you this then: Bailing out of the 6515 to the G500 is a good move, all things considered?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 07 avr. 2006 :  00:23:20  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm keeping my 6515, I'd miss the keyboard and form factor ;-) If you're concerned about losing the fix in difficult situations, then get a Bluetooth SiRFstarIII GPS for backup.

salmans

United Arab Emirates
6 Posts

Posted - 24 avr. 2006 :  23:34:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a ETEN G500 2 weeks back right before I was travelling to work to Europe. But it has been giving me isues since I got it. Especially that I bought it for the GPS mainly but it just refuses to install TomTom Ver 5 on it. I dont know why this is the case. You have said it in your review that you used tomtom 5 on the G500 with no problem. What do I have to do to make the bloody things work on my G500. please help me.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  01:53:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Refuses to install which version ? Only version 5.21 will install on WM5.0 so that's the first thing to check for,then you need to select COM PORT 4 at 38,400bps.

sundaydiver

Denmark
15 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  11:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuehn

Any plans to compare gps performance with the FS N560 and Mio a701?

You'll find it here:
http://digitus.itk.ppke.hu/~tomiki/drupal/teszt/
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  13:21:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice link but this is a G500 vs A701 comparison ;-)
A very detailed write-up I must say, but it seems they completely missed the GPS SiRFinstantFix aspects for the A701 (I'll finish my review this week) and they're "cold boot" of 5-6 minutes, make no sense, maybe they were doing that indoors or something. Outdoors these receivers will have a TTFF of 45 seconds max.

salmans

United Arab Emirates
6 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  22:38:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanx for the info. on the tomtom version for the g500. I had already sent it to the agents for ETEN and they even helped me out and installed Navigons Mobile Navigator on it to show me that it works just I have to get the right software.

My next question now that I have really started to use it is that the volume on the phone is really low for me. I mean I have increased it to the maximium on the phone but still it is very low compared to my Imate which I lost on a bus in Vienna last week :(
Any tips on how I can get better volume on it? I know how to increase the volume of course, I've been using pocket pc for the last 3 years but this thing even with full volume is not as good as the Imate! I mean am I stuck with it? or you got some tip to help me out. On the bluetooth headset (motorola HS850) the volume becomes even much lower! and the volume on the headset is already at its max!! HELP ME OUT !!

quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Refuses to install which version ? Only version 5.21 will install on WM5.0 so that's the first thing to check for,then you need to select COM PORT 4 at 38,400bps.

Salman
Go to Top of Page

calvingps

Hong Kong
7 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  16:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same volume problem and using it (at max) with my M bluetooth is just too weak to hear. I also have a battery problem, with GPS on, it last only around 3 hrs, without using GPS, it still last something like 9 hrs only and only for a few phone calls (total say 20 minutes) using bluetooth. Any one any help please ?
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  16:42:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally got my G500 back from Taiwan. Firmware's been updated to 094. GPS fix appears to be faster and more responsive. Will test it more extensively and report back.
Go to Top of Page

calvingps

Hong Kong
7 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  18:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Plse advise how to find out the firmware of my G500? thanks
Go to Top of Page

salmans

United Arab Emirates
6 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  22:49:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to another store and tried a new piece with my sim card and the volume seemed fine with that one. So I'm guessing there is a problem with a certain batch maybe. I am going to go to the service agent to get the problem checked out. And also I havent been able to fine the software update for the G500 online. Even on their own support website from ETEN. Any clues anybody?

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow once I've been to the agent's.

quote:
Originally posted by calvingps

I have the same volume problem and using it (at max) with my M bluetooth is just too weak to hear. I also have a battery problem, with GPS on, it last only around 3 hrs, without using GPS, it still last something like 9 hrs only and only for a few phone calls (total say 20 minutes) using bluetooth. Any one any help please ?

Salman
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  08:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
calvingps,

Just do a soft reset, look at the screen top right, last 3 numbers is your firmware.

I found that when I set the gsm mic gain to the lowest, the other party hears me much better( less background noise).
Go to Top of Page

salmans

United Arab Emirates
6 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  08:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so for the question which is going to make me sound like an idiot but here goes anyways. How do you do the setting for the mic gain? I have used an Imate Pocket PC phone for three years but I never had to do that setting before. Please help.

quote:
SNIP

Salman
Go to Top of Page

calvingps

Hong Kong
7 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  11:56:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the hint on the firmware. Mine is 096 (a Chinese version R11), anyone knows what that means, is it the latest, but I still get this battery problem, charging every half a day is not an option.

Yes, my mate said the backgd noise was too loud and obscure my voice too. I found a setting on the mobile phone mic in the Start/setting/system, but not sure if this is the mic gain setup referred in the above thread? plse confirm. thanks.
Go to Top of Page

calvingps

Hong Kong
7 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  12:22:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I complained about TTFF, but I read some article on how to get fast TTFF and now I got it pretty fast. Take note of the followings and you'd get much better results, hope it helps:-

1. make sure you have clear sight of the sky, it makes a huge difference (30 sec to 15 min !)

2. get it fixed before you move,(i.e. don't start driving yet), otherwise you trick the GPS with data renewing every time before it can fix (htat's for FF)

3. switch off your GPS whenever not in use, it tricks it to think it's warming starting the next time. Plus it saves MUCH power, the GPS is extremely power hungry.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about 3, but yes 1 and 2 would help, for more insight on TTFF you might want to read this though : http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=157&page=3#ttff

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  06:39:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For adjusting the phone mic gain, go to settings, system , microphone. Microphone gains can be set for GSM, Recording and Bluetooth headsets.

Calvingps - I have no problem with the battery, it easily last a full day of use for me. Perhaps you have a faulty battery.
Go to Top of Page

tvuong

93 Posts

Posted - 09 mai 2006 :  02:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I'm new to this world and have a few question:
1. Is the G500 2.8" screen big enough for viewing the GPS in the car?
2. I assume this G500 does not include any GPS software? If so, then in your opinion, what GPS software is the best that works with this device? and how much does it cost?
3. How is the phone reception? are the conversations loud and clear using this phone?
4. Can you still answer/dial a phone call while using the GPS? What happens then?
5. What is the best price you find for this G500? and where?
Sorry for having so many questions cuz I was thinking about getting the Loox N560, but having the phone capability with the G500 is a BIG plus cuz I do travel weekly to work within the 50 states and less to carry is great.
Thanks for any help.
TV
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 14 mai 2006 :  03:57:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For whatever reasons, I cannot get Mapsource to recognise the Eten G500 to be a GPS unit( for purposes of transfering waypoints and tracks). This is even after I added the QueRAPI in the registry. Has anyone else has the same problem?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 mai 2006 :  01:34:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure this is going to work, using Garmin's iQue on a non Garmin device is really a "hack", and you'll have a better chance of getting some feedback if you join the existing iQue threads, there's a good one on the Pharos 525 with iQue if memory serves.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 16 mai 2006 :  15:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, will search for it.
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2006 :  04:56:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that Eten will be incorporating a quickfix in its next firmware for the G500. This is from the distributor in Singapore.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2006 :  19:44:23  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's good news, hope it comes out soon !

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2006 :  15:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just spent the last week travelling through the Lake District in England, and then drove up to Edinburgh.
Was using both a G500(loaded with GPSproxy + Garmin Que) and an Ipaq Rx 3715 with a Holux GPSlim236 to do the navigation. Both setups were very accurate, with comparable gps fixes( Holux will be faster by a little).

Also tested iGO on the G500 - it has very accurate maps but the interface can be more intuitive. Lots of potentiall for this upcoming navigation software.
Go to Top of Page

gsvcc99

13 Posts

Posted - 07 juin 2006 :  18:17:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got this phone today. However, I have no way to know what status is the GPS. It's unlike a bluetooth GPS unit, whihc at least has some light indicator telling me if fixed. Do I need a SW to know this. How can I make the GPS to start to get a fix? only when i start a software?

I hered there is a GPS gateway with WM 5, however, I didn't find this element anywhere. Am I missing something?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 08 juin 2006 :  01:23:29  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You'll see a small icon pop up at the top when an app connects to the GPS module. You can use apps like VisualGPS or CE Monitor to connect to the GPS as you would with a Bluetooth GPS.

@epicurean - thanks for sharing, yes the Holux would have a slight advantage for TTFF thanks to its larger antenna.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2006 :  05:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know the connector type on the back of the Eten 6500, for connection with an external antennae?

eg MCX, BNC, SMA etc
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 15 juin 2006 :  09:44:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd say SSMB, not certain though, see here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3572

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2006 :  07:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read in the Eten forums that its a mcx connection...kind of confusing
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 16 juin 2006 :  09:54:52  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually that's I though too and had typed up yesterday before pulling out the connector cache and seeing that odd connector.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2006 :  01:21:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good news! The firmware incorporating AGPS for the Eten G500 is out!

http://www.trendsmobile.com/main/showsection.asp?SectionID=156&ParentID=140

maybe I can do away with the antennae afterall..:)

Note by GpsPasSion : this firmware upgrade seems to be corrupted, a member of the FRA forums found this link instead : http://www.eten.ru/support/files/ETEN_G500_WWE_R11_101_0097EE.zip
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 23 juin 2006 :  02:26:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good catch, will see if I can update my test version as well !

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2006 :  02:26:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No luck so far, first the corrupted file and now it complains about ActiveSync, will try a reboot...

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2006 :  14:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try the trendsmobile site again. The distributor reloaded the file.

I seem to be having the same SIF problem as that in the A701. Any know how I can get gpsproxy to work without it crashing or hanging on me? The virtual com port is now 7, with the "active device" port at 2. The hardware gps port remains at 4.

cheers!
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2006 :  15:18:30  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's one port too many ;-)
Still can't perform the upgrade myself, it says it cannot connect to the PDA device. Maybe I'll try going to the previous upgrade first.

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2006 :  15:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are also links for this rom at the www.eten-users.net. You need to register to be able to use the rather obtuse download ftp site. But lots of gems there.

I'll be really upset if I cant use the gpsproxy+garmin que combo( which worked great WITHOUT AGPS) on this supposedly better rom.

Have you tried the radio?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 24 juin 2006 :  15:58:17  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can imagine, I think I've found the source of my problem, I'm running XP SP1 and apparently the Eten uploader doesn't like it much...just my luck !

bmrjus

36 Posts

Posted - 21 juil. 2006 :  21:47:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPSPassion, is the TTFF the same for the A701 and G500 now that Eten released a ROM update including AGPS (or whatever it's called)? I'm looking for a phone upgrade from the 6515 that includes SirfIII. SirfIII is much more accurate than the 6515 chipset right? I think the G500 might be the smarter choice since I'm with Cingular in Washington (state) and need the 850Mzh. Just trying to get all the facts...
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2006 :  00:13:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, pretty much, I need to update the article, around 15 seconds versus 12 seconds. As for accuracy it depends, when it works well GL is just as good, but it has these "lapses".

Wasn't familiar with that 850Mhz frequency, I knew about 900/1800 and 1900, is that a new one in your area ?

bmrjus

36 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2006 :  21:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The former AT&T wireless Used the 850Mhz. When Cingular bought them a few years ago (Cingular uses 1900) it created one massive network. You have to have both to capture all of their call towers. At least thats how it was explaned to me anyway... All the phones you buy today through cingular are 850/1900 or quadband. I'll never see somebody using a Mio A701 in Seattle to ask them how the coverage is. The G500 has all those covered. G500 has "lapses"?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 juil. 2006 :  22:15:08  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting for the 850Mhz frequency, so the only PDAPhone that has it is the G500 ?
No the GPS "lapses" are on the hw 6515 as you know ;-)

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 27 juil. 2006 :  23:02:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems there is a new version for G500, the G500+, with 256 MB for ROM.
Do you hear something about it?
Go to Top of Page

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 29 juil. 2006 :  23:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah.. Forum topics #1, G500+, at http://www.eten-users.net/forum20. 256MB ROM for sure, but unconfirmed 1.3 MP versus 2.0 MP camera. Don't have the built-in Wi-Fi though :(
Go to Top of Page

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  00:06:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received my G500 two days ago, which was shipped with most updated ROM WWE R11 101 0097 from BuyGpsNow :) I am using IGuidance v3 in it for GPS navigation. To ensure A-GPS is working, I did the following: In WM5 Start->Settings->System->GPS, (1) I set first tab (Programs) to COM2, (2) I set second tab (Hardware) to COM4 at 4800 Baud, (3) I set third tab (access) to checked for automatic GPS management (1-3 default settings in G500), and (4) WITHIN the GPS software (IGuidence v3 in my case), I select COM7 at 38400 Baud in GPS Options. Are these procedures correct to assure proper performance of A-GPS?

In the Eten User Forum, a 20-second TTFF was claimed after the G500 was turned off for 12 hours. The fastest I have gotten so far after G500 is turned off overnight, however, is around 45 seconds, which is comparable to my previous CF SirfIII+IPAQ 2755+PocketMap Navigator R3.12 WITHOUT A-GPS. I can see drastic improvement otherwise, including hot fix which now takes place in less than 5 seconds (or instantly sometimes).

When measuring TTFF, in cold fix, do we EXIT the GPS software before we turn off the PPC or do we leave the software running in the background (by clicking the "cross" on the upper right of the screen) when we turn off the PPC? I have seen very fast fix (in 10-15 seconds) if I leave the software running in the background (without exiting the GPS software) when I turn off G500. Is this the improvement by A-GPS as I have seen reported on the forum? Or there are additional steps required for the A-GPS to kick in fully?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  00:35:45  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Actually AGPS doesn't help for a "hot fix" as the ephemeris are already stored in the memory of the SiRFstarIII module (independant of whether the PDA is on or off). It's going to make the biggest difference for a "warm reset", the real life counterpart being : you left your car in a parking lot for 4+ hours and drive out. In that case you should get about 20 seconds yes, instead of the usual 40/45 seconds. The Mio A701 is better at 12 seconds and the HP hw6515 even more so at 5 seconds. How did you simulate a "cold start" ? I would do the 4 hours test to see if your setup works.

As to your settings, COM7/4800 would be preferable, but 38400 might work too. You don't say if you downloaded the AGPS data ?

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  02:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so very much for the quick response.. Yes I missed the proper use of hot fix. What I described above are all on-and-off of GPS/G500 in less than the 4-hour period.. I did perform the Satellite Data Update (shown current exp. date 08/04/2006).

I will do the 4-hour test as you suggested. When I leave my car in a parking lot for 4+hours, do I EXIT the GPS sofware (file->exit in IGuidance) AND turn off G500, or should I just turn off G500 while IGuidance is still "running"? I found this makes a huge difference in my setup, with the latter always being within 10 seconds (within the 4-hour period). When I said "cold fix" above, I meant I turned off G500 AND exit IGuidance (file->exit) and left them overnight (more than 4 hours). The TTFF is around 45 seconds if I turn them on next morning :)

The 5 seconds warm reset for HP6515 is impressive, indeed, and I have followed closely about your evaluations on 6515. The built-in SirfIII chip in G500 is simply irresistible :) after knowing 6940 will still used the same GPS chip..
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  12:16:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, raw GPS performance is clearly better on the G500, just verifier that again.

On your testing, it really shouldn't matter whether you exit the sofware or turn off the G500, everything is stored inside the SiRFstarIII module that has its own memory.

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  15:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct, the TTFF in hot fix (with everything already stored in the SiRFstarIII module) is the same regardless whether I exit the software or turn off the G500 or not.

Tested in my yeard with surrounding trees (open sky though), I got a 35 seconds warm reset this morning after the G500 was turned off overnight (10 hours).. A parking lot with even more open space may be needed to achieve the 20 seconds as reported, huh? Will leave the 35 seconds for the time being..

Comparing to my previous CFSirfIII chip, yes, G500 performs significantly better. The hot fix is alomost instant, indoor or outdoor, definitely in less than 5 seconds.
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 30 juil. 2006 :  21:18:18  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds a bit much, I did some testing yesterday in a pretty tough area (between tall buildings) and it fixed in 20/22 seconds, keep us posted.

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2006 :  14:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, AGPS in ETEN G500 works really well! In my continuous tests over the past week, the warm resets over the 10-hour period overnight (daily) and those for over 4 hours (twice daily), have been consistently achieved in 9-12 seconds. Of course, I make sure the setallite data are updated at all times. It's a brand new experience in using GPS, indeed.

I did install the GPS Firmware update before all the tests, which might not be done last week because My G500 came with the latest 101_0097 Rom and I thought the Firmware was already updated. The 35 seconds reported above (still less than the 45 s typical) is thus a hybrid number with Rom update but without the Firmware update :)

Thanks much, Gpspassion, for the benchmarks. I have now been enjoying the AGPS very much.

Edited by - TzouR on 06 août 2006 14:33:04
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 06 août 2006 :  17:33:19  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, you would need the FW3.2 GPS for SIF AGPS to work, your 9/12 numbers are better than my 18/22 seconds, but consistent with the SIF rating, good for you ! Either way that's a big improvement over the 45/60 seconds with no AGPS when you're in a hurry not to mention it will lock in areas where you couldn't lock before.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  07:32:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its been a while since Eten gave us G500 users anything to write about. However I wanna share that for those who upgrade Activesync 4.1 to 4.2, it does mess up the Satellite Updating function. I had to revert back to 4.1 (after a few hard resets!)before I diagnose the problem. There is a new 4.5 beta out, so hopefully they addressed this issue.YMMV.

Looking forward to a new rom update to address the mono sound for the FM radio.
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  07:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also want to encourage existing G500 users to hang on(to their phones) and not change, as more and more GPS programs are supporting TMC functions- which is already built into the eten G500!

Edited by - epicurean on 22 sept. 2006 07:41:32
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94154 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  12:13:57  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the AS tip, seems to be hit or miss here.
TMC functions ? Well you have Destinator 6 for the time being and only for free servirce not premium, what other programs do you have in mind ?

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

TzouR

93 Posts

Posted - 22 sept. 2006 :  22:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.. but Activesync 4.2 does work flawlessly with my G500, for more than 2 months now. The common complaints about low volume and echo in making phone calls by G500 do not happen to my G500 either.. Good news? not really.. Because I do have problems with my Spectech mini sd wi-fi card for internet conections, which don't seem to happen to other users. Updating the satellite data by the wi-fi card has no problem - at least not yet, but the use of Internet Explorer or Messenger has made the wi-fi card blinking forever until I eject it out of the slot. It happened three days in a raw last week even, that my phone lost its connections after I ejected and swapped the wi-fi card by the regular sd card. I had to soft reset G500 to recover the phone. Sigh...

Such inconsistent problems, the ones varying from one user to another, make me feel insecure. Mentally, I am still expecting problems to appear every day, watching for the blinking light on the phone to make sure the phone remains functional. The newly released G500+ seems to have same problems on inconsistencies, if not more.

GPS and AGPS, on the other hand, has been a charm after the benchmarking assistance from GpsPassion (thank you again :) This is the only reason I have decided to keep my current G500 for three years until the next generation comes out and tested by other users for at least half a year - Whatever brand!
Go to Top of Page

epicurean

33 Posts

Posted - 23 sept. 2006 :  06:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mapking G10 by Mapasia is also TMC capable. This is a popular gps program in Asia and has various analogues such as Papago and Kingmap. UNfortunately, there is no TMC service in Singapore where I am now.

I understand Eten is developing a 3G, WIFI,BT, GPS SIRF III chipped, slider phone. Now it would be great if it came with a VGA screen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2,2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05