Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2760

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 "All in One" Navigation Systems
 [SINGLE TOPIC] Loox N100 and N110 - v1.16 Update
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2006 :  18:38:31  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Updated 19/09 : Fujitsu have recently made available a version 1.16.00 (60Mo) update, here is the direct link. Let's see if it becomes "snappier" and can be used with POI-Warner.

Updated 31/08 : I received a fully functional test model, but unfortunately the user experience is hampered by a sluggish interface, with the navigation menus coming up slowly and with the occasional map display freeze.

UPDATED BY GPSPSASION 07/10/2006 - FSC N100 - A PREVIEW

News Item on the portal
I have just received a Loox N100 test unit. This is Fujitsu's first AIO (All in One) navigation unit after it's successful line of Loox N5x0 (520 and 560 with VGA) GPS PDAs and before the T830 GPS PDAphone. The N100 stands out by it's very sleek design closer in size to a Bluetooth GPS than to a full features navigation device even the smaller ones like the Garmin nüvi, TomTom ONE or Mio C210/Medion PNA210.

Let's start out with some picture galleries and then I will add some first comments.

1. COMPARED TO...

Yes the Loox N100 is that small !

Compared to other AIOs with a 2.8" screen, Mio C210/Medion PNA210 and on the right with the nüvi...

Compared to the nüvi and then to the Mio C210

and now to the TomTom ONE that has a larger 3.5" screen

Compared to the Globalsat BT-359 and TomTom MKII - Hardly a fair comparison since it does a lot more than a Bluetooth GPS

2. THE INTERFACE...

The N100 is built on a WinCE platform with a simple interface to access its main features : GPS Navigation, Music Player, Utilities (World Clock/Alarm - Calculator - Games (Bricks/SmartPixie)

Main Menu - Portrait...

...Landscape

Music Player, Utilities, analog/digital clock, alarm clock

3. NAVIGATION...

The N100 is powered by Navigon v6 and it marks the first official appearance of the follow up to v5 used on PDAs (OCN5 in the USA - now discontinued) and AIOs in europe (Medion v5, MioMap v2, Sony, Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Becker). We'll take a closer look at MN|6 but those who know v5 will be in familiar territory as the version that runs on my N100 test unit is mostly a redesigned UI compared with v5. I did see some lane indications, but not the 3D buildings that have appeared on some screenshots.

The N100 is powered by Navigon v6 - Its first official appearance. We'll take a closer look at it later

The N100 comes with a simple and light cradle.
As with other Loox units, the external antenna connector is unfortunately of the rare SSMB type

4. FIRST COMMENTS...

After a day with the N100 here are some first comments. Live GPS Navigation will have to wait as I was provided with a map of Germany.

1. Very smart looking device, an iPod with a large screen comes to mind. Light and well finished, the first "real" consumer oriented GPS navigation system ?

2. All the connections you need : miniUSB, 3.5mm headphone jack, miniSD (comes with a 1Gb card), external GPS antenna connector (SSMB see above)

3. Two buttons : on/off and a clever "hold" cursor to avoid unwanted action if you have it in your pocket and are listening to music

4. Battery : comes with the same Li-Ion removable battery seen on the Loox N5x0 series, this time with a 1100mAh rating. In conjunction with the small screen that should provide some good autonomy, I'd guess about 6/7 hours in GPS mode

5. Possibly a closed WinCE system : I was able to connect it to my PC to recharge it, and it was recognized as USB storage device, but it not recognized by ActiveSync. My test unit did not come with a CD that could have a PC companion program.

6. Music on the move : you can listen to music while the navigation program is running although it seems to slow it down a bit. Unfortunately the music plays at a volume that is low even with headphone on.

7. Generally speaking I found the interface to be a bit slow, especially in landscape mode. This comes as a bit of a surprise since the N100 is powered by a normally fast Samsung chipset even at 300Mhz

8. GPS sensitivity appears to be good. I will need to verify this on the road, but it got a cold lock in my home office about as fast as other SiRFstarIII based units.

Questions, comments ?

UPDATED BY GPSPSASION 06/03/2006 - N100 and N110 announced see pictures below.

I recently spotted this at http://www.firstloox.org/

A dedicated GPS solution from Fujitsu-Siemens.
OS - Windows Mobile 5.0
GPS - Integrated SirFStar III chipset
Storage - 256MB, 1GB, 2GB or 4GB built in flash
Dimensions - 90 x 60 x 15mm; 70g weight
Screen - 2.8" QVGA (240x320), TFT touch
WMA, MP3, AAC, MPEG4 player
Powerful built in speaker
USB 2.0 Host and Client
TMC
Expansion - SDIO slot
changeable cover in 5 different colors
Included - Headset, carrying case, car mount, car charger, ac adapter, USB cable
Available - Q2 2006
Price - €299 - including Navigon MobileNavigator|6
The formal announcement will apparently be at CeBIT 2006 and the source tells us that it is being claimed to be the worlds smallest Windows Mobile navigation system with up to 4GB flash memory and that it will have a look and feel 'like the iPOD Nano'.

Steve

Ads

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2006 :  20:44:37  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hum, wonder if it isn't going to be a rebranded HTC Galaxy, Qtek G100, the Loox N520 was already derived from an HTC platform...

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 02 juin 2006 :  21:35:54  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some more info here http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/products/mobile/handhelds/pocket_loox_n100.html

Nice rounded design, let's hope they have better GPS sensitivity than the N520 and N560 GPS PDAs that are a bit lacking in that department. Not a problem for tracking thanks to the power of SiRFIII but it often means lengthy acquistion times, about 3x the competition.

MichaelLegner

Sweden
206 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2006 :  14:57:15  Show Profile  Visit MichaelLegner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most of all, the N100 and N110 is a PNA alternative and definately not a PDA alternative.

----------------------------------------------------
TomTom ONE owner
Probably a becoming TomTom 710 or 910 owner
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 04 juin 2006 :  15:59:03  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Right, an "AIO" with a WinCE twist ;-)

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  00:58:32  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An here comes the preview, I think it's a world exclusive ;-) See the first message above for the details, but I will say that the N100 is an impressive little unit !

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  12:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like a very nice device . Definitely consumer oriented.

GPSPassion, how is battery life? I hope it does better than most other devices that last only 1 to 2 hours. Is it good to use walking (no static navigation)?

I may get one of those once they're availabe (when?). I have a PDA with TomTom Navigator 5 (v6?!), but a device like this would be most convenient to keep in my car, so my wife can also use it (currently she has to use my Loox 720 with a CompactFlash GPS).

___
Qtek 9100, F-S Loox 720, GlobalSat BT338, Haicom HI303III, TomTom Navigator 5
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 11 juil. 2006 :  12:34:14  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep, nice looking ;-) Battery life should be much better than that, my guess would be 6/7 hours with that 1100mAh Li-Ion battery as the Mio C210 gets about 14 hours with 4 AA 2500Mah batteries. Will look into that today.

yyzdnl

19 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  01:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loox expensive, any thoughts on availability in US?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  13:34:53  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As long as it's just the "look" ;-) FSC have had some good pricing so we shall see. Not sure about US availability, the growth of GPS is not the same as in Europe and Garmin have a big hold on the market....

Fuiub

3 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  15:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I know is that I would love to purchase one of those for the US. My wife would love it.. if she could get it from my cold dead hands :)
Go to Top of Page

dornier

93 Posts

Posted - 31 juil. 2006 :  01:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if USA maps will be available for this unit?

Thanks,

GP
Go to Top of Page

admin_0

1 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2006 :  18:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if you can update the navigon software in the future or install other programe as TomTom? Have you already tried the life of the battery? I´m thinking about bying one but i´d like to know if i´ll be able to install programes as i could do in a PDA.

cheers

SRG
Go to Top of Page

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2006 :  18:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't work as a PDA, it's locked and there is no way to install additional software. That is until someone figures out a way to hack it.

I'm still keeping an eye open to see when it's going to be available .

___
Qtek 9100, F-S Loox 720, GlobalSat BT338, i.Trek M5, TomTom Navigator 5
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94633 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2006 :  18:19:47  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, let's hope it will be sooner rather than later ;-) Based on some limited testing, battery life should be about 7/8 hours, not bad.

igalan

Spain
358 Posts

Posted - 01 août 2006 :  18:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expansys have them listed for pre-order, but there are no dates of availability. I'm guessing mid August, as the T830, we'll see. I know this summer I will travel with my old friend TomTom Navigator 5

___
Qtek 9100, F-S Loox 720, GlobalSat BT338, i.Trek M5, TomTom Navigator 5
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2017_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05