Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2216

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 AIO (All in One) Comparisons - Choices
 All in one - Choices, choices... ?
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ulugeyik

11 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2006 :  20:12:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Along the similar lines, I am also trying to make a choice with few more requirements :)

1) Navigation in US both in and around major cities-- I guess this is a given for most units.

2) ability to enter POI or waymarks either via computer (better) or using the unit with addresses and with GPS co-ordinates.

3) perhaps an A/C adaptor to do (2) at home. also, should be battery powered because I want to use it for bicycling, hiking, walking.

4)ability to add new maps from Europe/Canada.

5) I want to use it for basic hiking. I donot really to extreme wilderness type of stuff, but I want to be able to enter way-points, get a map screen and may be press a button to mark a particular position as a way-point -- where I am now.bearing to next waypoint support. being able to upload topological maps would be nice.

6) price... this one is importantfor me. this is my first non-research GPS unit. I want something <$500 or if above, I would have to hunt for deals, sales etc. refurbished/second hand is nice but hopefully with a nicelifetime.

7) if computer software is essential for use, I prefer if there is something in linux that supports it already. I do not mind complex installations, command line interfaces as long as they work :)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  00:46:24  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your #5 is going to severely limit your options, possibly to only the Magellan 2200/2500 with topo maps, but it's not available yet, so no one knows how effective the "off-road" features will be.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ulugeyik

11 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  04:11:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, would I be better off with one of the cheap (~$150) units dedicated for that purpose and a mapping software with a laptop for in-car navigation? (I have an old 3lb laptop)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93943 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  04:18:00  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For hiking certainly, for road guidance, I'm not a huge fan of laptops as you can't easily have them in your field of view, but with the current price of MS Streets and Trips, there's not a huge risk in giving it a try.

Discounts and Assistance/Réductions et Assistance (Club GpsPasSion) / Où commencer?
Go to Top of Page

ulugeyik

11 Posts

Posted - 27 nov. 2006 :  07:03:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again. This opens up a whole bunch of more possibilities. It seems like NMEA output is the key for in-car navigation which I plan to do with someone else in the car anyway. Are etrex vista series the way to go then?(I am still considering linux with roadnav or roadster)

Back to my AIO question. Would a MIO C310X which seem to be unlockable and modifiable would work for off-road use if I took the effort to do the following (off-road):
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=69673&whichpage=1
I am able to "hack" this type of stuff generally.

BTW, did someone moderate out my two other posts on the same topic? I can't find them. I had upgraded my requirements etc. Just curious, not complaining :)

Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2008 :  19:35:22  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HI

Well, I'm in a funk! I can't seem to figure these GPS companies out! Why do they all limit their units so much???

Case in point.

I love the Garmin Nuvi 200 for it's maps, but I hate that I can't configure the display to show my speed ON THE MAP PAGE while in a route.
I love the features of the Navigon 2100 but I hate the lag in the menues and I REALLY hate the horrible routing. The maps are older then the garmin but still OK [NAVTEQ!]
I love the MIO's ability to route well and I love that I can skin and unlock it. [since it's WinCE based] I also love the quick response and the fact that the antenna is so good. But, I hate the fact the the maps are SO out of date!!! There are many roads missing that was 10+ years old and that many paved roads show as unpaved! BTW: the jensen NVX200 is just an older version of the MIO C230. I also hate only having 0.9M POIs!

So, what unit do I get that
1. Has up to date maps.
2. Has TTS [low priority]
3. Routes properly [NOT NAVIGON!!!]
4. allows multiple viapoints/Routes/Waypoints
5. displays speed while in a route.
6. Costs under $300

?????????????

GPS history: Garmin eMap + eMap [both broke] >> Magellan MAP410 > Garmin GPS'V' +
JensenNVX200 > Garmin Nuvi200 > Navigon 2100 > MIO C230 > Navigon7100!
Current GPSs: Garmin GPS'V' and Navigon7100!
Jensen & Mio use TA maps which suck in AL. Navigon is only good AIO with NavTeq
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2008 :  01:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that item #4 on your list probably limits you to one of TomTom's units. The only Garmin Nuvi's which allow you to save/load/edit multiple routes are the 700 series and I don't think any are under $300 (although they might get cheaper when the 800 series hits the stores). The Mio lets you create routes with multiple waypoints but you can't save/load them for future use. TomTom's itinerary function will do this however.

I've been playing with a Mio C520 for the past week and also have a TomTom 920T. I think the accuracy of the TeleAtlas maps must vary a lot from one state to another. In Southern NJ, NYC area and Philadelphia I have found their maps very good. The roads shown on the Mio and TomTom seem to match in my area, however the Mio shows all the small rivers and streams and the TomTom doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2008 :  18:19:44  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It sounds like the MIO maps are based on a slightly more detailed version [if not newer] of TA maps. OR.... do you have the detail settings the same?

Since the TOMTOM uses TA maps, then it's not any better then the MIO apparently!

that seems to leave little or no options. I guess I should just hold on to this one and wait for an update.
I wonder if I can work a deal with TA to get an update free in return for my tracking logs of the area!

Also, I have my MIO unlocked and one of the features is saving the current route. [with a new name] and recalling it later.
So, I have route management on mine.

GPS history: Garmin eMap + eMap [both broke] >> Magellan MAP410 > Garmin GPS'V' +

Edited by - egadgetguy on 18 janv. 2008 18:30:09
Go to Top of Page

Boyd

USA
1721 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2008 :  02:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by egadgetguydo you have the detail settings the same?

There are no map detail settings on either the Mio or the TomTom, so that isn't the issue. But the TomTom definitely doesn't show the little rivers and streams, even if you zoom way in. Not really a big deal for an automotive unit though.

Also, the maps on the cheaper TomToms (like the ONE series) are different from the maps on TomTom 720 and 920T. Not only do they not show the little rivers and streams, they also don't show small bodies of water. There are two small lakes near my home which appear on the 720/920 maps but not the ONE XL. I assume this is a compromise made to fit them in the 1 GB memory of the ONE series.

Edited by - Boyd on 19 janv. 2008 02:41:52
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 19 janv. 2008 :  04:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, terrain detail is optional on Navteq and TeleAtlas maps and can be included, or not, at option of the provider of the GPS. The more detail, the bigger the map files will be.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  17:27:38  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been looking around and I can't find any GPSN at any price that meets my requirements [updated here]

1. NAVTEQ maps.
2. Sirf [sp] GPSR
3. 2d/3d view
4. Speed displayed on map/cockpit view.
5. multi vias
6. route Management
7. Good routing {Navigon has the first 6, but has a routing bug}
8. adequate sound level [some are way too low!]
9. Full USA maps [at least 48 conus]

I will consider any unit that can be modded to have these; EG: MIO C230 can be unlocked and #6 added] I also don't care about TTS, traffic, bluetooth, photo viewers, media players, or if it'll tie my shoes!

Here's what I've found so far.

Garmin: starting with the nuvi 710, I can get all these except for #4
MIO: C230 can get all but #1
Magellan: I can't tell if any support #6
NAVIGON: As stated before, no #7 [yet!]
TomTom: No #1

I can't seem to find any other brands; besides Garmin, Magellan and Navigon; the use NAVTEQ maps...

Any help... TIA!

Go to Top of Page

Tender

1 Posts

Posted - 23 janv. 2008 :  22:50:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An unlocked Mio with a software that comes with NavTeq map (e.g., Destinator)?
Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2008 :  05:12:27  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what's destinator and how do I get it?

Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 24 janv. 2008 :  23:01:09  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
assuming I kept my mio [it's unlocked] where woul I get the software that would work on it and has US maps?

Go to Top of Page

egadgetguy

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 26 janv. 2008 :  16:43:47  Show Profile  Visit egadgetguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: My MIO is history. BB took it back [no restock fee!] YEAH!

Now I just have my GPSV and I am looking at...
Intellinav 3
Invion GPS-7V106-IUS of GPS-4V106-IUS

Thoughts?

EDIT: it seems invion is using teleatlas! oh well!

Edited by - egadgetguy on 27 janv. 2008 00:06:43
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05