Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com
fiogf49gjkf0d

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2720

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 English Forums - Hardware
 Magellan Roadmate and Maestro AIOs
 ** Customizing the Magellan Roadmate 800 **
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

gpspassion

94592 Posts

Posted - 01 janv. 2006 :  21:43:26  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
CUSTOMIZING THE Magellan Roadmate 800 *

BEFORE - HIDDEN MENU - AFTER

Here's how to turn your Roadmate 800 into a full Windows CE4.2 mobile terminal with the same navigation features as previously but with the option to play movies with the TCPMP player of use it for "All-Terrain" GPS with OziCE or make it run 75% faster ! )

How to :
The first step was discovered by accident by trying the same key combination as the one used to bring up the system menu on the Roadmate 700 back in 2003.
  1. From the main menu, (screenshot on the left), do the following : ++--+- (volume keys)
  2. You will be taken to a hidden menu, click on "Next" bottom right
  3. On the following screen, click on "Launch Explorer" then on "Exit Shell" (screenshot #2 above)
  4. You are now on the WinCE4.2 "desktop"
  5. Click on windows menu (windows icon bottom left)/settings/taskbar then check "auto hide" and OK
  6. Download the CustRM800_GPSPASSIONe.zip Pack
  7. Extract the CustRM800_GPSPASSION.cab and ReadMe.txt files included in the zip file
  8. Place CustRM800_GPSPASSION.cab on an SD memory card, then insert it in the RM800
  9. On the RM800 go to windows menu/programs/Windows Explorer, navigate to "SDMMC Card" and double-click on CustRM800_GPSPASSION.cab, then click on "enter", the kit will install itself
  10. Go back to the "desktop" and double-click on SoftReset
  11. The DivX player will now install itself, click on OK
  12. That's it !

The RM800 is now a WinCE4.2 terminal with :
  1. Original navigation/photo/Music features (double-click on the TNShell icon to go back to the original menu)
  2. The TCPMP DivX player (ex-BetaPlayer) pre-installed - you can download the Matrix trailer here for testing purposes
  3. OziCE (in demo mode) for full "All-Terrain" GPS
  4. Xclock to make it run at 530Mhz instead of 300Mhz, no problems here so fat with stability but use at YMMV
  5. A virtual keyboard and you can install more applications listed here (link in French)

IMPORTANT NOTES TO READ BEFORE GETTING STARTED :
  1. DO NOT MODIFY the contents of HDD/HDD2/HDD3 or /My Flash Disk as they contain the software and data the RM800 needs to operate properly. Any changes there and your RM800 could be toast - you have 5Gb of space available on HDD4 to store movies or maps for OziCE

2. After the first customization, the screen will switch off after 10 seconds, press any key to bring it back up, once you've launched TNShell.exe it will stay on, even if you leave the original "shell" - the blue on/off button on the left side only operates if the original "shell" is running

3. It's possible to activate ActiveSync by clicking on the third box of the hidden menu (screenshot 2 above), the RM800 will reboot and you can then uncheck "USB detection enabled", connect the RM800 via USB to your PC and AS will detect it like a PDA. If you don't have ActiveSync, you can download it on the Microsoft site here.

4. Installing programs over ActiveSync is sometimes not possible, in that case use the .cab and transfer it to the RM800 where you can double-click on it

5. The GPS receiver is on the COM2 port

6. To reset your RM800 to its factory setting, use the "Reset" cursor at the top or click on "Reset for First Use" in the hidden menu

Give it a try, questions and comments are welcome !

* - I have done this "customization" several times with success, but you are doing it on your RM800 under your sole responsibility and it is not supported by Magellan, so if you need to call them on another support issue you will likely need to reset your RM800 to its factory settings, see Note f. above

Ads

DaleDe

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 03 janv. 2006 :  06:16:39  Show Profile  Visit DaleDe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you have a screen snapshot program that runs in this environment or natively that will work with the navigation screens?
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94592 Posts

Posted - 03 janv. 2006 :  11:36:40  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes you can use the free captce.exe program once you've customized the RM800

schneid

202 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2006 :  02:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried installing and running iGuidance or TomTom on it?
Go to Top of Page

DaleDe

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2006 :  18:39:28  Show Profile  Visit DaleDe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gpspassion

Yes you can use the free captce.exe program once you've customized the RM800

Thanks, WinCE is a bit of a mystery to me so far. I am pretty good on Pocket PC devices. I was able to run it but I can't seem to assign it to a button. It shows on the popup command bar so I can execute it from there but then the bar always shows in the pictures. Any advice?

By the way, to the person who wants to buy a competing application and then run it on this platform, why would you want to spend the money? There is no particular advantage and you pay a premium for this software that you would not be using? Anyway, I would not expect Pocket PC specific applications to run in WinCE in landscape mode in particular. Button mapping would be nonexistent and nothing else is likely to work right. Running an application like OziCE makes good sense as it supports things like topo maps but another road mapping application makes little sense to me.

Dale
Go to Top of Page

AlephNull

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  01:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't working for me. I get the media program to call for a file to open, but when I click on one of the files on the SD card, a tiny window opens with no clip in it. The windown cannot be resized. When I try the "Full Screen" option under the appropriate menu, the window disappears.

I also don't get the fully populated desktop that I see in the image above. I can't get the system to store the blank desktop instead of the one that says
"Windows CE.net" when I edit the display options in the control panel. I know the clock and keyboard programs were there once, because I used them. But after power cycling the unit they were gone, and the old desktop wallpaper was back.

I also have trouble making individual windows close and move with touch screen commands, and sometimes they don't reven respond to the "escape" and "enter" buttons. If this was a full-size machine, I would say it was suffering from processor overload.

I recently upgraded to the new firmware. Maybe I should have resisted the temptation.

A. Null
(D. Wilson)

Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94592 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  01:47:04  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, not much point installing TomTom, better buy a TomTom GO in the first place.

On captce, you need to click on the icon then click on the screen to make the bar disappear, got to be quick, you could also use the Microsoft remote display program that could be downloaded in one of the plus packs on their site, don't have the link handy, sorry.

@AlephNull - new firmware is not a problem on mine. I'm not really following the problems you describe, "media program", TCPMP ? Get an .avi sample file on the link I posted. "no fully populated desktop" ? So what do you have on it ? Sounds like the install did not get completed.

AlephNull

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  02:16:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll try to install again this evening. I just got the 800 day before yesterday and I am still learning about it. I am poor at describing the problems I am seeing because this is the first time I have ever used a WinCE device. Some of it is intuitive to me and some is not. I finally figured out how to make the task bar go away and come back. Is it possible that running explorer AND the shell at the same time uses too much of the system resources? I don't know whether the processor in the 800 is considered powerful, moderate, or just adequate for its primary job. There may be an indication in the fact that the unit will not function as an MP3 player and a GPS receiver at the same time.

If you turn off your 800 and restart it, when you go to the CE desktop through the secret menu later, are the icons for the new programs still all there? (Soft reset, TCPMP, etc)

Further reports later.

DW
Go to Top of Page

AlephNull

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  05:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, now the process seems to be working. I did a "first use" reset on the unit, then copied the CAB file from the SD card into the windows directory. I installed from there. Since then things have been functioning as you described, not that I think the location of the installation file had anything to do with it.

The configuration survived a "suspend" operation without losing icons. I have not yet done a complete powerdown cycle to see what happens with that. The video quality is impressive. Thanks for this very useful insight into an extended use for the RM800.

DW
Go to Top of Page

1BigPig

7 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2006 :  05:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder about going the other way. Could you "copy" the program from ROM and use it on a regular Dell PDA with an external GPS on the COM port, like say a Meridian GPS? I realize that not all the maps or languages would fit, but you could probably get a few states and a single language on a 1gig CF/SD card.

Just a thought,

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

DaleDe

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2006 :  06:34:42  Show Profile  Visit DaleDe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlephNull

I don't know whether the processor in the 800 is considered powerful, moderate, or just adequate for its primary job. There may be an indication in the fact that the unit will not function as an MP3 player and a GPS receiver at the same time.

DW

The MP3 player and the GPS functions don't run at the same time because of the way Magellan designed it, not because of horsepower limits. If you use the internal audio player that is in the WinCE shell you can have it and the navigation all running at the same time.

Dale
Go to Top of Page

AlephNull

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09 janv. 2006 :  23:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, problems again. Maybe I have the wrong expectations or I'm too clumsy when I do get what I want to keep it from disappearing.

I successfully installed the customization. It survived several suspend/resume cycles. Then earlier today I did a totalpowerdown, not just a suspend. When the unit came back up and I opened Explorer through the hidden menu, all the desktop icons for the new programs were gone, the default WinCE wallpaper was back, and I couldn't find the programs anywhere on the system. I seem to be right back to where I was before I moved the CAB file in.

Am I correct that the RM800s that you customized stay customized when you go through a complete powerdown? I can see that suspend /resume will not destroy the customization, because I did that a few times. But every time the unit has been turned off completely, the customization is gone when I power the unit back up. Is this inherent in the process? If so I simply haven't understood the situation.

Can anyone point me to a good WinCE web site? It feels to me as though I need to know more about how this OS loads, where it gets its configuration information at startup, and how to make sure new configurations are saved. (Assuming I'm not dealing with something that is stashed in ROM.)
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94592 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2006 :  09:59:49  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you're doing a reset, yes that will wipe everything off, it's like a hard reset on a PDA, in that case WinCE reloads from the ROM.

AlephNull

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 janv. 2006 :  21:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Understood. Thank you. I have had hang problems with the unit that required repeated Resets. I now just leave the "custRM800" CAB on the SD card, and I copy it to the Windows directory before going through the install sequence again.

DW

Go to Top of Page

DaleDe

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2006 :  19:05:37  Show Profile  Visit DaleDe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I completed a review of the RM800 and in it I reference this site. The WinCE capability helped me a lot with the review. Thanks.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/RM800.htm

Dale
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

94592 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2006 :  19:58:58  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nice review and thanks for the link ;-)
You write "control the path the router chooses", you can actually remove a road section, that can help.

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2016_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05