Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 1942

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 Beta Testing
 WMS beta 4.71.04 - "Single Track" - 26 June 2006
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2006 :  07:51:36  Show Profile
Hi Ris, first of all congratulations on the speed improvements in 4.68

I was doing some testing today and tried to add a landmark, when you are on the Add Landmark page you can type whatever you want but if you make a mistake the back key does not work

Also if you try to change the category from Any Category you cant as the back does not work here either.

Orange C550, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2006 :  16:16:14  Show Profile
Have tested 4.68 on i-mate SP5. Colour changes day/night perfect. Very smooth operation and stable. Land mark issue same as Dr StrangeTrick. Opening addresses to find street seems to supply two creating a kind of intersection but I think that is something I am doing wrong. Other than that I think it is brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

diskmemo

3 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2006 :  16:54:53  Show Profile
HI,
i tested 4.70 also on i-mate SP5. I use the logbook regulary to dokument my routes. In this version i could not open the logbook in the Menu GPS/Logbook. It happens nothing.
One question/improvment: Is it possible to export the logbook in CSV Format. It is difficult to import it in Excel in the standard Text Format

Thanks a lot

Go to Top of Page

brobinson

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2006 :  17:13:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by diskmemo

HI,
i tested 4.70 also on i-mate SP5. I use the logbook regulary to dokument my routes. In this version i could not open the logbook in the Menu GPS/Logbook. It happens nothing.
One question/improvment: Is it possible to export the logbook in CSV Format. It is difficult to import it in Excel in the standard Text Format

Thanks a lot

To import into excel, just open the text file from Excel. All of the lines will be in column A. Then go to Data, Text to Columns and parse the text using the wizard. Takes less than a minute.

Dell Axim X50v, Motorola MPx220, Haicom 303E with bluetooth slipper, Royaltek RBT-3000
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2006 :  21:29:29  Show Profile
Hi Ris liking 4.70 very much

But the search is still not clearing and does not automatically start when you start typing or when you press space at least not all the time.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2006 :  00:04:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Ris liking 4.70 very much

But the search is still not clearing and does not automatically start when you start typing or when you press space at least not all the time.

Yes, unfortunately we have run into a limitation from the OS here. After the keypad timeout expires and it accepts your selected letter, the OS is not telling us that new text has been entered. We do not get a notification until the NEXT letter is pressed, or (only sometimes) when the input focus changes. The new letter is not even available to us, making us one letter behind in the program compared to what it shows in the UI.

I have a pending support request with Microsoft to straighten this out, but that kind of thing can take several weeks. In the mean time, pressing space is the best work-around I have found.

I don't think this ever worked in a past version, did it?

Best Regards,
Ris

Project Manager for Windows Mobile Platforms
Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2006 :  07:12:52  Show Profile
Hi Ris in previous versions (4.64 and below) the search page was always empty and the search started (red magnifying glass) as soon as you started typing.

Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2006 :  19:02:09  Show Profile
I can confirm what Dr. Strangetrick says here. The search always started previously as soon as the first character was entered, now you have to some voodoo keypressing to trigger it to run. This needs fixing.

Sorry I'm late to the 4.7 testing here. I see a some new cool stuff in there that I like. Folder based selection of maps on the SmartPhone and the interface works great for that. The ability to selection a location and then there's an option for "Dial Number". Was that ever there before? Little nice improvements to the interface like cancel buttons for the search screens and some rearrangement of the settings. The auto switch of day/night colors are cool as well, though I suspect you almost regretted adding that little feature for all the trouble it's given to get to work properly.

Under the Find menu, there's a "All Places by Type". What is that supposed to do? Nothing appears to happen when I select that.

I also found another bug, but I think is really already present in 4.6 though I think it has been discussed before and declared fixed: If you select find "Place or Business" and search for County, it doesn't find anything! This would be a useful feature otherwise, as it would it much easier to find those "diamond" symbols signifying counties, that you need to select to load a map for an area, where you don't know the file name.

One small but important area for the user interface on Smartphones that I still long to get fixed is the selection of city/postal code. Finding anything on a 1000 item long list by browsing up or down 8 items at a time is unbearable. So the result is, that it's always set to "Anywhere" and then all searches for addresses takes very long time.

The highway split error was supposed to be fixed in this release, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the release notes for any of the beta builds. Has it been postponed? [EDIT] I have tested and found this has not been corrected yet.

Overall, it might be a good idea to make a list of all the improvements made from 4.6 to 4.7, as much of the release notes right now are about intermittent bugs being fixed.

Still, from what's been said in infer, that this version is about preparing for some of the more (most) important updates to come, namely automatic map handling (I hope!), 3D view, improved voice quality and more. Looking forward to that beyond v. 4.7

And this v. 4.7 has also brought the Smartphone version up to par with the PPC version, which is just great. And it seems that the underlying changes has enabled Mapopolis to move much quicker with improvements now, which should bring many benefits in the future.
Keep up the great work.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit

Edited by - AllanHvass on 06 mars 2006 20:06:32
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2006 :  10:55:30  Show Profile
Please don't drop the input from my previous posting right above, just because I make another one right after it

Found a couple of errors on the Smartphone edition
  • Selecting Language in the Program Options screen by moving the joystick sideways instead of pressing the action button to get to the list of languages leaves a "Language" text in the input field instead of the actual language. After that, the you can't move left/right with the joystick on that input field.
  • Selecting Find Route, and then selecting Address as entry for starting point or destination takes you to the "Select Intersection" search dialogue instead of the "Find Address" dialogue, and vice versa
  • The following settings windows has different titles in the selection of the settings screen from the settings menu and the actual title of the windows: Map Features vs. Map Settings, Program Options vs. General Options, Sounds vs. Navigation Options!!
  • In colors settings, if you even switch between the Day and Night color set, even if you don't change any color settings, it loses the checkmark set at "Switch Automatically"
  • In case of duplicate maps found, there's not room for all the information text about the problem above the scroll window that lists what maps will be used
  • I've had three cases already, where Mapopolis locks up when trying to select maps. Haven't found a specific pattern to this yet, seems a bit random
  • Autoselect Major Roads: When you go straight to the Choose Maps screen and select the Menu key, you won't see a checkmark for this option, whether it's actually checked or not. Only once you've selected it again twice inside Choose Maps will the option display as checked - until the next time you enter Choose Maps, then it will not be displayed again
  • Dawn/Dusk color switching (again...): This morning, local sunrise waws 6.53 according to local tables. At 8.15 I started Mapopolis, and it correctly kept Day colors. At 8.21 I turned off the car & GPS but left Mapopolis running. Within 5 min. it switched to Night colors... I started driving again around 8.30, but for half an hour, it never switched back to Day colors. I then quit Mapopolis and started it again, and it immediately turned back to Day colors as it should. So appearently, it can sometimes lose track of whether currently selected color set is Day or Night and not make the correct switch again, and it appears to also get confused by a lost GPS connection. [EDIT]I've found this was a combination of not having a GPS fix yet to begin with (at least not a 3D fix only a 2D fix) combined with a bug in the implementation of dawn/dusk daylight calculation. The latter part is reported in the main thread under the NEWS folder, as it's probably general rather than Smartphone specific.[EDIT EDIT]I saw exact same behavior today, so there seems to be a second bug in this as well. Seems like Mapopolis gets confused about what color state it's in and what it should shift to, if it loses GPS communication just around the time that switching of colors is necessary.

That was it for now

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit

Edited by - AllanHvass on 07 mars 2006 09:08:19
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2006 :  12:24:37  Show Profile
Test results using 4.7 on i-mate SP5 Smartphone.
No problems. Fast and smooth. Day/night switching perfect.
Comments.
The only thing I would like to have is a type-in search for the towns as it takes a long time to scroll down the list.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  05:26:03  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

I'm back after a short hiatus while I moved into my new house. I hope I didn't keep anyone waiting too long.
quote:
Under the Find menu, there's a "All Places by Type". What is that supposed to do? Nothing appears to happen when I select that.
Oops. That's a Pocket PC feature which doesn't make sense without a touch screen (yet) and the menu command was accidentally added to Smartphone when we matched up the Find menus between PPC and Smartphone recently. Thanks for catching that.

quote:
The highway split error was supposed to be fixed in this release, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the release notes for any of the beta builds. Has it been postponed? [EDIT] I have tested and found this has not been corrected yet.
This was bumped until after 4.7, sorry It has top priority after 4.7 final is released, and some other related routing bugs will also be addressed at that time.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  05:31:25  Show Profile
quote:
In colors settings, if you even switch between the Day and Night color set, even if you don't change any color settings, it loses the checkmark set at "Switch Automatically"
This is by design, because of the logical conundrums posed by manually selecting Day colors while the automatic switching wants Night colors. We found that automatically deselecting the automatic switching option was the clearest, most reliable way to settle all such issues without confusing users or debugging complex timer logic.
quote:
I've had three cases already, where Mapopolis locks up when trying to select maps. Haven't found a specific pattern to this yet, seems a bit random
I have also seen an intermittent problem where the map list appears empty, even though it should list one or more files. I think these problems may be related. If you notice a pattern, please advise.

Thanks for all the other problem reports, and especially the praise, we'll try to get as much of this straightened out as possible for RC2 in a few days.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  07:01:35  Show Profile
quote:
I've had three cases already, where Mapopolis locks up when trying to select maps. Haven't found a specific pattern to this yet, seems a bit random

Hi Ris I've experienced 'lockups' while on the map selection screen and a few other places.

What I have found is if I press Home then open Task Manager I find 2 processes running, Mapopolis is one process and Choose Maps is the other...

If I select the choose Maps application Mapopolis comes back to life

Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  07:57:40  Show Profile
I actually use the exact same process as Dr. Strangetrick to get Mapopolis running again by going into Task Manager and killing one of the processes Mapopolis has spawned. Problem is, that sometimes even Task Manager gets into a hung state when Mapopolis has, and the only recurse is to reboot the Smartphone. And killing processes isn't obviously a thing you would recommend general users

I've seen about three more hangs since my last report, and I've also seen one example (which confused me a lot at the time) about an empty map lists when selecting "All Folders". Haven't been able to reproduce that one.

My closest hunch to what could be a pattern - but this is very much an assumption - is that it happens when at a sub screen, i.e. spawned process visible in task manager, and at the same time a "significant" event happens in the main process, e.g. that the GPS is found or lost, or some other notification is thrown by the main program. Obviously it's not everytime, or there would be loud complaints, but it could indicate some kind of race condition or a critical section not correctly protected by a mutex.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

diskmemo

3 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  15:22:25  Show Profile
Sorry if i ask again. Is the problem with the non working logbook only on my system is it ab bug in 4.7

regards
Dieter G.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,52 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05