Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2402

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Mapopolis Official Forum
 Beta Testing
 WMS beta 4.71.04 - "Single Track" - 26 June 2006
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2005 :  16:40:06  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, folks,

Please go here:

http://www.kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/PPC/4.71.04_beta/

And get this:

Mapopolis_Smartphone_v4.71.04_Setup.exe

Release Notes:

Version 4.71.04 - "Single Track"

* Fixes bug with using the Irish major roads map to open county maps
This applies to any region where they use the form "County X" instead of "X County" in naming their counties.

Version 4.71.03 - "Sea Train" - 27 April 2006

* Fixes cosmetic bug in Color Settings window which failed to consider DST when showing the times of dawn/dusk
* Fixes bug which prevented the satellite display from updating while waiting for a fix
* Fixes bug setting the default value of the "Use GAPI" option which had been incorrectly turned off by default for most users
* Fixes cosmetic bug where the text “GPS Not Responding (COMn:)” would not fit entirely on the display. This has been shortened to “Not Responding COMn:” and the font size has been reduced.
* Fixes tab order on GPS Options window

Version 4.71.02 - "Laika" - 25 April 2006

Some of these may apply to Smartphones...

* Adds new option to "[X] Use GAPI for Video Performance" in order to turn off GAPI if undesired. It is not possible to turn on GAPI if it is off by default.
* Fixes incompatibility with the WM5 GPS applet control panel so that virtual ports now work in Mapopolis, including GPD1
* Fixes bugs in the data validation for GGA sentences in GPS data
* Fixes GPS dead zones along 1 degree south latitude, and 1 degree east longitude (no longer uses -1 as an error code)
* Fixes bug which caused the PPC title bar to appear at the same time as a Proximity Alert message box
* Improves error handling for GPS "zero" data
* Shows "GPS Not Responding (COMn:)" over the navigation pane, instead of "Not Responding"
* Improves speed of data validation used for setting the clock from GPS data
* Increases diagnostic build life from 14 days to 30 days from when they are built.
* Changes "[X] Blink LED at Index [list]" to "Select LED or vibrator [list]" with the added list option "NONE" to disable the feature in the absence of the removed checkbox
* Changes the Set Clock from GPS Data feature to allow the clock to be out of sync by up to 2 seconds from the GPS (to improve performance/speed issues).
* Fixes incorrect window title on the Sounds Settings window

But these definitely apply to Smartphones...

* Fixes bug which caused the language selection box to become broken when using left/right D-Pad keys to change the selected language
* Fixes cosmetic bug in the Edit Landmark window which drew the icon slightly outside the allocated box

VERSION 4.71.01 - "Learning to Fly" - 6 April 2006

Some of these may apply to Smartphones...

FEATURES:

* Restructures backend of Landmark and Street/Address searching (search result data management)
* Enhances Find Contacts
- searches by zip code when possible
- searches by city when possible (fixes bugs)
- automatically searches unopened maps for the address, if not found among open maps
* Enhances alphabetical sorting to sort by distance when names match in Find Address, Find Intersection, Find Place or Business.
* Enhances Text-To-Speech to recognize "Ext" as an abbreviation for "Extension"
* Enhances the speed of Finding Contiguous Maps (from >20 minutes to <4 seconds with 1GB of maps), and replaced the related status window with the standard animated wait cursor.

CHANGES:

* Changes default option for "Set Clock from GPS" This is now OFF by default.
* Moves the Map Colors Settings window contents to the left (cosmetic change)
* Changes the Set Clock from GPS Data feature to do nothing at all if asked to change the current year
* Changes the Set Clock from GPS Data feature to set the clock after 30 seconds has passed, instead of after every 20th GPS data cycle

BUG FIXES:

* Fixes bug with mismatched "On or Near Street" text showing incorrect information in Find Place or Business
* Fixes bug that allowed the last-entered Find Address search to affect the Find Contacts search results and default data shown when Find Contacts fails and opens Find Address
* Fixes bug with horizontal scroll bars not scroll list-view contents
* Fixes cosmetic bug in the display of Dawn/Dusk times to include padding zeros, as is the usual tradition when writing the time
* Fixes truncated text "Show Automatically requires GPS" which should now fit entirely on the display
* Fixes truncated text in the warning message about duplicate map files
* Fixes bug in error message which would incorrectly say that a voice file did not exist when the real problem was something else, such as a lack of memory
* Fixes bug that showed "x/y/z" in the status box window
* Adds data validation for GPS time stamps, to avoid using wildly incorrect time values to set the clock such as all-zeroes, or day 32 of a month, etc
* Fixes potential buffer overrun error in the Set Clock from GPS Data feature
* Fixes cosmetic issues with the size of the list boxes in Hardware Settings and Find Place or Business/Landmark windows
* Fixes bug when starting GPS, either manually or automatically, which failed to honor the option to Retry Failed Connections forever
* Fixes bug which would show the GPS Diagnostic message when tapping on the menubar - it now checks for the upper AND LOWER bound of the Not Responding strip for this screen tap response

But these definitely apply to Smartphones...

* Fixes error 5041 resulting from the presence of duplicate maps in the system
* Fixes bug in Find Address window which caused the last letter entered in the search text to be ignored
* Fixes bug which swapped the meaning of the Select Address and Select Intersection commands when finding a route

VERSION 4.70 RC3 - "Primer" - 10 March 2006

* Minor maintenance

VERSION 4.70 RC2 - "Wake me up when we get there" - 10 Mar. 2006

* Removes menu command 'Find > All Places By Type' from the Smartphone edition. It was never intended for this edition.

* Fixes Smartphone menu command Tools > GPS > Show Log so that it now does something

VERSION 4.70 RC1 - "Any Way You Want It" - 2 Mar. 2006

* Fixes slow route calculation and flickering text while the Route Calculation status window is showing
* Removes "beta" indication from version number under general program options because this is a release candidate

VERSION 4.69 - "Fly, Pelican, Fly" - 2 Mar. 2006

* Changes all search windows to clear the last search results when beginning a new search
* Changes thread priority of day/night color switching from below normal to normal, to fix failure to switch colors at dawn and dusk when there is a CPU load or GPS is running
* Changes day/night color switching to check for day vs. night immediately at program startup, instead of 5 minutes later
* Enhances day/night color switching to immediately check for day vs. night when returning to the map view from any other window
* Fixes duplicate map check to allow multiple user landmarks files
* Fixes the back button in the Edit Landmark window on Smartphone
* Fixes bug when searching for the second street in an intersection, so that the search text box will not be ignored
* Fixes internal bug which failed to update a critical data table after accessing a Favorite that required automatically opening a map (related to error 3710)
* Fixes error 3710 by adding automatic error recovery for this logical error
* Changes house number box in the Find Address window so that it accepts non-numbers again

VERSION 4.68 - "Lake of the Ozarks" - 28 Feb. 2006

* Adds cancelable status box while finding contiguous map sets
* Changes status box during "Searching for maps" to show the directory names instead of file names
* Simplifies automatic day/night color switching implementation. Should fix intermittent failure to switch colors at the appropriate time.
* Changes house number box in the Find Address window so that it only accepts numbers
* Fixes Find Contacts window so that it will now close properly
* Fixes text-to-speech with abbreviations "Expwy" (Expressway) "Pkwy" (Parkway) and "Is" (Island)
* Fixes bug in Smartphone edition that was ignoring the house numbers entered in the Find Address window
* Fixes non-cancelable status windows in Smartphone to show a blank menubar instead of a non-functioning cancel button
* Fixes placement of icon on status box window in Smartphone edition
* Fixes invalid memory access error when refreshing the map list (was failing silently under WM5, resulting in a variety of problems such as the directory list not populating correctly or a wait cursor not going away)

VERSION 4.67 - "Fixing a Hole" - 24 Feb. 2006

* Adds horizontal scroll bar to custom list view controls throughout the program, when needed (Smartphone edition had this already, but implementation has been improved)
* Hides the crosshairs on Smartphone edition when GPS is running
* Fixes bug which would say "Please Select An Address" in the Find Address window when a street was selected without entering a house number
* Fixes bug in which the GPS position did not update in the map display
* Fixes bugs in Favorites list management
* Fixes tab order for windows on Smartphone: GPS Communication Options and Map Color Settings
* Fixes bug in Smartphone Hardware Button Settings, in which pressing '1' would not return to the 1-6 page
* Fixes bug which failed to save map position and zoom parameters when exiting the program
* Fixes bug in Choose Maps resulting in the loss of recent selection changes when pressing the Auto Select MRMs button
* Fixes bug in [X] Also Open Contiguous which was opening too many maps
* Fixes bug in Add/Edit Landmark window not initializing to the correct default icon
* Fixes bug in Sound Settings, which would sometimes fail to update the voice list correctly after performing a Refresh
* Fixes bug in Smartphone GPS Satellite window, so that it is now possible to get back to the GPS Data window
* Fixes a bug with thread management and LED blinking
* Fixes bug which prevented the Smartphone edition from opening Landmarks.mlp files created in the Pocket PC or WinCE editions
* Fixes cosmetic issues with the status box
* Fixes crash following the use of an MRM county map icon to close a map
* Fixes bugs in Smartphone edition which were blocking entire windows from opening, including the full-screen windows associated with list selection controls when pressing ENTER
* Fixes error 3700-X after selecting duplicate maps
* Fixes error 3700-X when adding a landmark
* Fixes "too many files" error when uninstalling from the Desktop PC, and clarifies comfirmation message to indicate that all files in the program directory will be deleted
* Defaults the option OFF for [X] Allow Blinking LED

VERSION 4.66 - "Feels So Right" - 20 Feb. 2006

* Enhances Choose Maps window and fixes all related bugs
* Enhances Find Contacts window and fixes all related bugs
* Improves implementation of mapopts.bin file - future versions will be able to load a past version's state file
* Improves performance with large contacts databases (900+ contacts)
* Adds left/right keypad toggling between similar SEARCH windows: Find Address, Find Intersection, Find Place, Find Contact, and Find Coordinates
* Adds option to set the start/end points of a route by using the Find Coordinates interface.
* Adds [Enter] key now accepted as OK when the input focus is on most list view controls (recall route, etc)
* Adds Cancel command to the right soft-key menu on Smartphone for Find Address, and Find Intersection
* Changes the timing of auto-switching colors. Now checks on 5 minute intervals (down from 10), and is completely detached from the GPS thread and the GPS clock sync option.
* Fixes bug that was allowing a background task to close windows and return to the map display, for example while looking at the splash screen at application startup
* Fixes bug in all search windows, which would say "please select one item" even though one item was selected
* Fixes general UI bugs on Smartphone related to list selection controls and various windows malfunctioning
* Fixed a memory management bug which was causing the use of recycled memory in many places. This should improve stability.
* Additional internal changes related to the following systems: MRU list, map file list, map state data, GPS, contacts database, window management

VERSION 4.65 - "Stayin' Alive" - 12 Feb. 2006

* Restructures program code related to all full screen dialog windows
* Divides GPS Options window into a second window for GPS Communications
* Adds user options for LED blinking on/off and which LED (General Program Options) This addresses the vibration bugs.
* Auto-start GPS option moved from General Program Options to the new GPS Communications window
* Adds Auto-Switch day/night colors feature to Smartphone
* Automatic day/night color switching is more pro-active about changing the colors at the right times (may fix bugs)
* Adds user option to control whether to set the mobile device clock from the GPS data
* Will no longer set the clock from GPS data during GPS log playback, regardless of user options
* By default, now accepts Enter key as "OK" when the input focus is on a full screen dialog window (and not focused on a checkbox or other control)
* Fixes help in WM5 (WM help system, peghelp.exe, was hanging with a wait cursor or failing to come up)
* Fixes missing SIP button in the Find Contacts window
* Fixes crash from second use of Find Contacts window
* Fixes bug causing some devices to show an error message about the event "\\.\Notifications\NamedEvents\Mapopolis"
* Fixes a bug in the calculation of turn costs during route calculations (too much weight was being assigned to some turns due to a programming error)
* Fixes a bug that caused the title bar to appear incorrectly after switching between portrait and landscape modes

VERSION 4.63, 2005-12-07

* Adds enhanced error reporting window to replace "Should Not Occur Error Code 1-*"
* If you find any more goodies than that for Smartphone, please report them here.

VERSION 4.62 beta, 1 December 2005

* Fixes lost user options bug
* Fixes inversion between landscape and portrait mode window layouts for the General Program Options
* Fixes name of DUTCH female voice to say "Vrouw" in voice installer application
* Map copier application now centers dialog windows instead of showing them in the upper left corner

VERSION 4.61pre, 2005-11-28

* Adds feature to hide contacts which do not include street address data (Find > Contact Address)
* Adds landscape display layout for the Find Coordinates window
* Fixes compatibility with contacts database in Windows Mobile 5
* Fixes reporting of lost GPS fixes with certain GPS receivers
* Fixes GPS lockup condition resulting from a corrupted data stream
* Adds handling of unexpected GPS communication behavior when certain GPS receivers are turned off
* Fixes "Too many files" error when uninstalling
* Improves stability of Desktop PC apps (map copier, installer, etc)

Lamar

I once spent a year in Philadelphia, I think it was on a Sunday.
- W.C. Fields

Edited by - lamar@mapopolis.com on 06 juil. 2006 17:31:19

Ads

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2005 :  20:21:27  Show Profile
Great - another beta cycle already

Nothing much new for me to check, I wasn't affected by any of the bugs fixed.

But I hope there's a mistake in the change list: "Krouw" is NOT female in Danish, it's not a Danish word. Probably, this is a fix needed for Dutch, so I hope that's where you fixed, otherwise you will need to fix it back again for Danish.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2005 :  21:06:31  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, Allan,

I voted for "Vrouw," but what is it really? I'm going to mangle this, but is it "kvigen?" (This is in the voice selector.)

Thanks,

Lamar

I knew I was going to take the wrong train, so I left early.
- Yogi Berra
Go to Top of Page

mr_ding

Canada
9 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2005 :  21:16:00  Show Profile
With 4.62 beta1 using PPC (Mapopolis_Pocket_PC_v4.62_Setup.exe), I got mapcopy.exe crashing on WinXP during installation.

Putting the files on SD card, it installs to '\Storage Card\Program Files\Mapopolis' instead of '\Storage Card\Mapoppolis Mapopolis.com'
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2005 :  21:22:28  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, mr_ding,

We'll be discussing Pocket PC in the thread in the News section, and we'll be doing Smartphone discussion here.

If you'll run the installer again and manually point it at the folder on the card, it will install without crashing further.

Thanks,

Lamar

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
- Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 01 déc. 2005 :  21:38:46  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Allan,

You're right - it was DUTCH, not Danish.

Lamar

In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.
- Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

ouymcn

8 Posts

Posted - 02 déc. 2005 :  06:03:16  Show Profile
Hi, I am using mapopolis version 4.62. Every time when I tried to find an address or an intersection, there is a popup window 'Should not occur error. Code=1-183'.

Anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 03 déc. 2005 :  07:15:19  Show Profile
Hi all, one very minor problem I have been experiencing ever since upgrading to the C550 is a misplaced Mapopolis icon...

Not earth shattering but as you are into a new beta I thought it would be worthwhile pointing this out.

On my old E200 the icon is dead centre.

Orange C550, TomTom BT GPS
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2006 :  09:26:01  Show Profile
Hey guys, I have found a problem that comes up practically everyday. I have tried to replicate it after the problem occurs but I cant.

I am using the 4.64 beta SmartPhone version. I switch on in the morning, start Mapopolis, this connects to the GPS and the map is always north up. If I press Menu, Settings, GPS Options the Centre view Forward box is ticked so I untick the box then re-tick the box and press Done and hey presto the map is now track up.

I have tried to replicate this many times but without joy but when I start first thing in the morning the map starts moving north up.

Go to Top of Page

rp1790

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 janv. 2006 :  15:52:56  Show Profile
I had this problem with my PDA, exact same thing and what it was was me changing some settings on the GPS itself with Sirfdemo. Once I reset the GPS back to factory defaults Mapopolis went back to "direction travelled" up rather than North up all the time.

Specifically I turned on the WAAS setting on the GPS which is a Holux SlimGps236 unit.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2006 :  07:53:46  Show Profile
Thanks rp1790, I just have the plain old TomTom BT GPS and I haven't changed my GPS settings (don't think you can on these units anyway) but if I run the 4.6 (official release version) it always reverts to track up its only on the 4.64 this problems happens.

Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2006 :  15:25:46  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, guys,

Just a note - the Palm Treo 700w was announced yesterday and Verizon is offering it for sale today. Palm has gone all out on their website to promote it, too. Coolest feature? Looks like the revised Today screen is the biggie.

Lamar

I know the voices aren't real, but what they say ~does~ make a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2006 :  17:23:58  Show Profile
Not wanting to sound like I am blowing my own trumpet

But this is what you call a fully loaded Today Screen or Home Screen

Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 06 janv. 2006 :  17:44:41  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hey, no fair! You have a big screen model. The Treo 700w has a 240x240 screen like the HPs. I like the look of Palm's version - enter a number or part of a name for the dialer at the top. Appointments, email notification, SMS, etc in the middle, and Google search at the bottom. Want to talk about uninspiring? You should see my MPX200. (Yes, I still ave it, and yes, it's still ticking... on the original battery, too.)

Lamar

I know the voices aren't real, but what they say ~does~ make a lot of sense.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 07 janv. 2006 :  01:49:38  Show Profile
Oooo I like your home screen Dr. StrangeTrick!

Best Regards,
Ris

Project Manager for Windows Mobile Platforms
Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 08 janv. 2006 :  09:44:35  Show Profile
if I say so myself, me to.

Everything I need in one place, Date and time, a decent and free calendar plugin, next 5 days weather for 6 cities, GPRS usage (daily/Monthly) and system information.

It took ages to get it all on one page but I am proud of it

Go to Top of Page

irishjohn

Ireland
141 Posts

Posted - 16 janv. 2006 :  23:19:43  Show Profile
cool stuf Dr StrangeTrick . do you have a program that will run on a ppc

Dell Axim x50v / 1gb sd card / Europe Ireland Mapopolis 4.64 / and a dodgy yakumo deltax gps
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2006 :  07:43:09  Show Profile
HI Irishjohn sorry I don't have a PPC, I am a SmartPhone die-hard.

You can get Fizz Traveller etc for the PocketPC so I believe someone could hash together a screen for you.

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2006 :  21:17:09  Show Profile
Back to my track up moving map problem.

I have been experiencing this for a while and it seems to only happen when...

1. The map display switched to night mode
2. My GPS is running and has acquired a fix
3. Mapopolis does not immediately connect to the GPS (so I start it manually)

After a few minutes it does go back to track up but its a bit of a fright when you are traveling south and hit an island with five or six exits and you have to mentally turn the map image right side up in your head.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 17 janv. 2006 :  22:01:16  Show Profile
Hi Dr StrangeTrick, that's unfortunate. Thinking off the top of my head, only one thing comes to mind that can turn you north-up from heading-up while Auto-Rotate is checked: the Route Step Panel. Could this have popped up for some reason? Perhaps an accidental press of the D-pad switched panel modes to the Route Step Pane, centering you on the next route step with a north-up orientation? It should take about 8 seconds to reset to auto-center/auto-rotate.

Stretching my imagination, I suppose the auto-rotate logic might shut down given an unknown heading, if the GPS has temporarily stopped sending heading data or the speed has become unknown or <5 kmph.

I really can't see night colors having anything to do with it.

What's your option for Center View Forward? I'd be very curious to know if you can reproduce this problem with Center View Forward turned on, and if so, whether the GPS position moves to the center when it goes north-up, or whether it stays near the bottom.

Well anyway, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it. Please keep us advised if you have any more observations about it.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  06:42:52  Show Profile
Hi Ris my center view forward. To be honest I cant remember if the indicator is center screen or at the bottom, I will check next time this happens.

As for the night time colors it only seems to happen when Mapopolis starts in night time mode (I.E. when I set off early in the morning) on the days when I am traveling more locally so I set off later it never seems to happen.

As for the route step pane it has happened without a route active, then when I press route to favorite it starts navigating north up but after about five minutes I look back at the screen and its track up.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  22:21:37  Show Profile
Thanks Dr StrangeTrick, very interesting observations. I'm keeping my eyes open for it.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

irishjohn

Ireland
141 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  23:44:50  Show Profile
Hi again Dr_StrangeTrick

Could it be something silly like you mistakenly Assigned a hardware button to Rotate 90 not sure if this would give the same fault
I done this by mistake with Proximity Alerts and couldnt understand why sometimes Proximity stopped working

Regards
John

Dell Axim x50v / 1gb sd card / Europe Ireland Mapopolis 4.64 / and a dodgy yakumo deltax gps
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2006 :  11:56:17  Show Profile
Hi all, a bit more information for you.

The same happened again today, Mapopolis started in night time mode, the GPS already had a fix and when the map started moving it was north up. I did not have a route open I.E. I was in ‘follow me’ mode.

I waited for a while but the map remained north up The GPS indicator was in at the bottom of the screen I.E. blue dot at the bottom of the screen and the crosshair in the middle of the screen. As I was travelling south it was becoming more difficult to mentally rotate the map and drive at the same time so I pressed my route to favourites key.

But today I got the “Unable to access original map...” message so I pressed OK and when I returned to the map screen I was track up. It looks like when I pressed the route to favourite key it must have ‘woken it up’ also the GPS indicator changed from a blue circle to a blue teardrop.

If this helps.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2006 :  17:03:55  Show Profile
quote:
...also the GPS indicator changed from a blue circle to a blue teardrop.
Ah-ha! I think that's the key piece of the puzzle. When it shows a blue circle, that means the position is known but the heading is not known. When it shows a teardrop, the teardrop points at your heading / direction of travel. So it sounds like the reason it is switching to north-up is because it does not know your real heading. It could be possible that your GPS receiver has trouble getting a heading at night. You should be able to confirm this by showing the Pilot Panel, which I think reports your heading -- though on Smartphone, the Pilot Pane shows less info than on pocket PC, so I'm not 100% certain off the top of my head that it shows the heading on Smartphone.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 20 janv. 2006 :  17:36:49  Show Profile
OK sounds plausible, because once its working no matter how hard I try I cant get it to go wrong again. So its a matter of propping my eyelids up with matchsticks and keeping a close eye on the screen.

It just seemed odd when it 'woke up' after I pressed a button.

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2006 :  19:58:43  Show Profile
Hi again, it happened again today but this time it was lunchtime.

The GPS did not connect first time, so I pressed menu, GPS, Start.

Then I pressed Route to favorite and my route was on screen with directions etc but all north up.

As this was lunchtime the roads where much busier than usual so I had to continue North up for a while. After about 5 minutes I did try and re-orientate the display but that did not work.

In desperation I pressed 0 (Day/Night colours key) and instantly I was track up. So somehow the Day/Night switch is doing something to Mapopolis.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 04 févr. 2006 :  21:48:39  Show Profile
quote:
my route was on screen with directions
Which info panel were you using, if any? The Route Step Panel forces north-up (unless you are doing a route preview animation by pressing the up/down keys on the 5-way) But I think we've covered that possibility already.

The alternative I see is that the program is erasing or ignoring the heading data immediately after creating a route, and then restoring the data when... the day/night colors are switched? unlikely... it probably restored the heading-up because most user actions would have canceled whatever special mode it thought it should be in that was forcing north-up orientation.

We're in the process of a major code restructuring project so I can't look deeply (at a code level) at any issues just now except to talk about them, but we'll definitely take a fresh look at this and several other pending bug reports next week when the restructuring is complete.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 05 févr. 2006 :  07:49:37  Show Profile
Hi Ris the route stared with the direction panel open showing the turn icon and the 3 lines of text with the instructions to turn left or right.

I was struggling to find the centre view forward menu option to turn it off and on again but I couldn’t find it so I pressed the day night switch to see if it would make any difference.

After 5 mins driving I would have assumed it should have acquired the heading by now, but with all my other experiences it seems to be something with the day/night change.

Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2006 :  19:00:19  Show Profile
Initial reaction on 4.65....I am trying to calculate a route that previously took about 45 seconds. Now it's taking 2 minutes.

Dell Axim x50v /Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS/2gb PNY SD card/2gb Kingston CF card. Mapopolis 4.60 with North America NE maps.
Go to Top of Page

Lizard_weasel

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2006 :  19:04:25  Show Profile
Also....all folders is greyed out, so it's no longer possible to select maps out of only 1 folder when you have multiple map folders.

Dell Axim x50v /Globalsat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS/2gb PNY SD card/2gb Kingston CF card. Mapopolis 4.60 with North America NE maps.
Go to Top of Page

rp1790

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2006 :  21:57:47  Show Profile
Is it possible to get the Crystal and Custom/Moderate/Concise TTS files updated to work with 4.65? Or is there a trick to it?

Yes, I have done a refresh.

Thanks,

Rick
Go to Top of Page

RonW

70 Posts

Posted - 12 févr. 2006 :  23:51:12  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Lizard_weasel

Also....all folders is greyed out, so it's no longer possible to select maps out of only 1 folder when you have multiple map folders.

Same thing here can be confussing when importings waypoints for geocaching

Only work around is menu/view/refresh to see the new imports

Edited by - RonW on 12 févr. 2006 23:56:43
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2006 :  07:45:11  Show Profile
Hi all 4.65b is unusable for me...

Phone locks had to reboot

Phone locks had to reboot

I could not get any further as it is too painful having to kill my phone then restart. My phone is still running but you cant do anything with Mapopolis so back to 4.64 for me as well

Edited by - Dr_StrangeTrick on 13 févr. 2006 07:46:08
Go to Top of Page

rp1790

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2006 :  15:44:27  Show Profile
Unfortunately 4.65 is unusable for me as well. It displays the same symptoms as I had with 4.64.

1. The display does not refresh properly.
2. Mapopolis seems to be hogging the CPU and the TTS engine cannot speak properly because of this.
3. If I can get a route plotted and start along the road the display does not keep up and /or refresh. Sometimes touching the screen will refresh it and sometimes it won't.

Back to 4.62 for me. I have a Dell Axim X5 with WM2003SE, mapopolis running entirely off the SD card. I uninstall 4.65 and re-install 4.62 to the same locations and no problems with TTS, CPU hog or screen display refresh.

Thanks.

Rick

P.S. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help with documenting the issue(s).
Go to Top of Page

brobinson

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 13 févr. 2006 :  16:41:53  Show Profile
RP1790-

This thread is for the Smartphone version of the software. If you have a Dell Axim X5, you should be posting in the thread that is in the News section.

Dell Axim X50v, Motorola MPx220, Haicom 303E with bluetooth slipper

Edited by - brobinson on 13 févr. 2006 16:42:49
Go to Top of Page

rp1790

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 14 févr. 2006 :  15:43:42  Show Profile
Ok, I tested this on my MPX220 running WM2003SE and the same symptoms happen as I mention on my Axim X5 above. Funny thing is 4.64 gave me no issues on the phone but 4.65 does.
Go to Top of Page

afeudale

43 Posts

Posted - 14 févr. 2006 :  20:25:27  Show Profile
SP5m with 4.65b, same results as Dr_StrangeTrick...unusable. but the new features look nice!
Go to Top of Page

adamz

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2006 :  19:07:49  Show Profile
Hmm there is a smartphone thread but not pocket PC. Well anyway.

Ipag 3650 Pharos Bluetooth GPS with 4.65

Two things I encountered so far.
* If I shut down the Pocket PC (tried both stopping GPS connection first, and just hit the power button when connected). When I power back up and connect to GPS, it is connected but the moving map is frozen.
Here are my repro steps:
+ Started new session of Mapopolis in driveway and all was happy.
Map tracking, navigation pane showing cross streets etc...
+ at a traffic light, GPS menu, stop, then power button on Pocket PC.
+ power back on, wait 15 seconds for Bluetooth to settle, then start on the GPS dialog. I get the "connected" bling.
+ now drive away from traffic light, map still shows me at the intersection.
the navigation pane is showing cross streets, voice status is reciting
correct info.
+ if I go into gps dialog then out, the map is updated but still not moving.
Only recourse is to exit mapopolis altogether and start a new session.

* other issue, real minor.
There is now a "auto day/night" setting. So far I have not seen it switch (dri ving 4:30 (sunset) to 6:30 (dark)). I have reverted to mapping the day/night toggle mapped to a hardware button.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

brobinson

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2006 :  02:23:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by adamz

Hmm there is a smartphone thread but not pocket PC. Well anyway.

The Pocket PC thread is in the News section of the forum.

Dell Axim X50v, Motorola MPx220, Haicom 303E with bluetooth slipper
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  07:52:08  Show Profile
4.66 is complete and should become available within a few days. Having reviewed the problem reports above, not all of them are listed explicitly in the release notes, but I think that all of these issues have been fixed by related changes. Please let us know if you see any problems in the new version.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  21:02:50  Show Profile
Hi Ris, first niggle

Using the SmartPhone version on the GPS Communications page the tab order is wrong I.E. The page shows...

PORT
Baud Rate
Auto Start [X]
Retry Failed Connections [X]

But when you press down arrow the order is...
PORT
Baud Rate
Retry Failed Connections [X]
Auto Start [X]

2nd Niggle
On the Proximity Alerts page pressing Action on the category does not show the usual full page selector. Instead you have to left/right arrow

3rd Niggle
On the Map colours page the tab order is wrong again. So to turn off 'Switch Automatically' you have to press Down, Down, Up, Up, UP

4th Niggle
You cant get to the Hardware Buttons page at all

5th Niggle
The full screen selection boxes have disappeared on the Sounds page so trying to select your sound file you have to left/right arrow again

Also a word of warning, this version resets all of your options/favourites so make sure you have some form of backup. Which brings me to another point. Please Please Please can we have some form of import/export routine for favourites or can we have the favourites saved to a separate file so we do not loose them all whenever we reload or load up the next beta version Please

Not had chance to drive it yet, but I will let you know.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  21:32:28  Show Profile
quote:
Please Please Please can we have some form of import/export routine for favourites or can we have the favourites saved to a separate file so we do not loose them all whenever we reload or load up the next beta version Please
4.66 adds a robust versioning system to the state file so that this should not be a problem anymore. Settings, favorites, the map file list, and all data stored in the mapopts.bin file will be remembered when upgrading. Starting with 4.68, you will also be able to roll back to any version >= 4.67 without losing your settings and favorites either.

An automatic mapopts.bak file has been added in 4.66, to prevent losing your favorites list because of random data corruption errors or locked file errors.

Thanks for your other niggles, they all sound like simple enough problems to fix.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

SPVito

Denmark
9 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  21:41:47  Show Profile
Hi everyone

The hardware button's setting does not seem to work in version 4.66. The program just returns to the map-mode. When pressing # in the map-mode an error message appears.

Regards;
Erik

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  07:33:25  Show Profile
Hi again Ris a couple of other observations.

When the program first launches (I.E. from a clean install) Mapopolis opens with a white screen and the Mapopolis logo (still not centred) saying 'Searching for voice files' then it disappears. You have to press the back key quite a few times to get back to Mapopolis. Once the program has been used more than once this does not happen again.

Additionally upon first program launch the display is landscape however as soon as you load your map or change anything else it reverts back to portrait I assume there must be a portrait/landscape option in the hardware settings page (the one we cant get into )

Lastly and as note to all other users. This version does not overwrite your previous settings MAPOPTS.BIN but creates a new file called MAPOPST.BIN however renaming your old settings file does not allow your favourites etc to be imported. Mapopolis renames this to MAPOPST.BAK and creates a new MAPOPST.BIN

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  10:08:20  Show Profile
Hi again Ris, further problems I’m afraid.

Last night before setting off this morning I added the favourites I needed today. After starting Mapopolis I pressed Menu, Navigation, Find Route (have to do it this was as the hardware button page does not work ) for Choose Starting Point I pressed Action and selected ‘Use GPS Position’ but this just returns to the map screen .

So I thought no problem I will use the This Location feature so instead I pressed Menu, Find, Favourites but this also just returns to the map screen which means you cannot navigate using this version.

An additional point I have noticed today, Mapopolis now always starts you in the default map ‘home’ instead of your last position. So its back to 4.64 for me as well

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  19:50:27  Show Profile
quote:
Lastly and as note to all other users. This version does not overwrite your previous settings MAPOPTS.BIN but creates a new file called MAPOPST.BIN however renaming your old settings file does not allow your favourites etc to be imported. Mapopolis renames this to MAPOPST.BAK and creates a new MAPOPST.BIN
Not exactly, but close. 4.66 creates a new MAPOPTS.BIN file, AND creates an automatic backup of the SAME FILE named MAPOPTS.BAK. The file contents should be identical in almost all cases. The backup file is automatically created because sometimes (at random) Mapopolis has been failing to open MAPOPTS.BIN because of a file locking error. In the past, this would result in a loss of all your settings, favorites, etc. Now it will automatically use the backup file. This means if you want to fully erase your settings, you have to delete both files.

We're looking into all the other problems.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  20:43:24  Show Profile
Hi Ris, it does create or 'rename' the BAK but if I exit rename my bak file something else then rename my bin file bak and then rename the original bak file to bin (I.E. reverse the bak and bin) it still reverts to default settings

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  20:45:55  Show Profile
To clarify about the new version control in MAPOPTS.BIN, noted in the release notes for 4.66: it is the NEXT version, 4.67, and LATER versions which will be able to import the state file from a past version. 4.66 cannot read a 4.65 state file. But 4.66 adds data to the MAPOPTS.BIN file so that 4.67 *should* be able to read the 4.66 state file, and then 4.68 *should* be able to read either the 4.66 or 4.67 files, and so on into the future. It may take a few versions to debug the new system, so you'll have to let us know whether or not it works if/when you upgrade.

In other news, we are working towards a new bug-fix-only beta release by the end of the week.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2006 :  06:56:02  Show Profile
Cheers Ris, looking forward to it.

One last question please, as mentioned earlier upon first install 4.66 opened with the screen in Landscape mode. Is this a feature of 4.66

Edited by - Dr_StrangeTrick on 22 févr. 2006 07:00:57
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2006 :  20:16:06  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I meant to ask you about that landscape issue. Your C550 has a square display, and you run the Smartphone edition of the software, right? That should not use the landscape mode resources in Mapopolis at all, so I think this is a bug. Now, when you say it entered Landscape mode, do you mean it used a landscape display resource in Mapopolis, resulting in a horizontal scroll bar? Or did the display actually rotate 90 degrees at startup so that you had to physically rotate the device to read the text? I want to determine whether we're talking about the DEVICE entering landscape mode, or the SOFTWARE thinking it is running on a landscape device, though the device display is actually square, which is neither landscape nor portrait but should use portrait display layouts in general, so you will get a vertical scroll bar instead of a horizontal one.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 22 févr. 2006 :  20:53:34  Show Profile
Hey Ris, my mistake

The default map/position loaded/displayed made the screen look landscape. I took a close look and moved around and sure enough it is portrait. Sorry for giving you a headache.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  01:49:51  Show Profile
Don't worry about it, I'm always happy when I hear that there is ~NOT~ a bug. 4.67 will fix the bug that caused Mapopolis to forget your previous map position, orientation, and zoom level, so that should straighten out any confusion.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  23:57:58  Show Profile
Results from Beta testing on an i-mate SP5 Smartphone (Windows Mobile 5)using Pocket Speed camera alerts in United Kingdom..
1) Original 4.61 no problems.
2)4.64 no problems ( very fluent)
2)4.65 non operational
3)4.66 would not open destination page in navigation
4)4.67 apart from map loading being a little flaky works well.
Summary.
It looks like 4.67 is very nearly there apart from a little refinement maybe. The auto-select of the night/day mode is a must have. When the program is on song it works brilliantly and has not put a foot wrong so far and I am delighted with it. The pairing with the GPS mouse is first class too.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2006 :  00:24:52  Show Profile
Hi Looby, nice summary. What are you finding flaky about the map loading?

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2006 :  01:04:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Ris, it does create or 'rename' the BAK but if I exit rename my bak file something else then rename my bin file bak and then rename the original bak file to bin (I.E. reverse the bak and bin) it still reverts to default settings

I missed this comment, which was referring to 4.66, and I just noticed it. Maybe if I describe the startup sequence as a list of numbered steps, it will become clear what mapopts.bak is and how it is used.

1) program starts up

2) program reads mapopts.bin to recreate your last program state

3) if there were any problems opening, reading, or parsing the data in mapopts.bin, then we reset to defaults and try again with mapopts.bak. If there are still any problems with mapopts.bak, or the current program state, then mapopts.bak is also ignored and the program is reset to fresh clean install defaults in all ways.

4) Startup is complete, and the current program state is saved to both mapopts.bin and mapopts.bak

5) Program runs as normal. Anything you change with the program state (settings changes, known map file list, the last thing you entered in a search, etc) is saved to mapopts.bin a few seconds after you return to the map. (It's not immediate for performance speed reasons, so the file is saved in a low priority background task, as soon as the program is otherwise idle). Mapopts.BAK is NOT saved at this time.

6) exit the program NORMALLY (i.e. it did not crash) and the current program state is saved to BOTH mapopts.bin AND mapopts.bak.

Renaming the files to swap them should not have any effect, as they should be identical in all cases unless data corruption has occured from some outside source.

So one might ask, why are we making a redundant copy of exactly the same data? There is a long-standing bug which pops up intermittently. When this bug occurs, the mapoopts.bin file exists and contains all the data describing a valid program state, but the OS refuses to allow Mapopolis to open the file for reasons which still remain somewhat unclear. Maybe it thinks the previous instance of Mapopolis.exe is still holding that file open for writing, so it doesn't let the new instance of Mapopolis.exe open the file for any reason. But that's just speculation, and we have not actually found the cause of the bug. Instead, we have adapted the software to work around this apparent bug in the OS so that we have a backup file we can go to if the OS refuses to let us open mapopts.bin for any reason.

For upgrading from a past version to a newer version, the BAK file has nothing to do with it. mapopts.bin files created in v4.66 or newer store the program version number in the file. When we read the file, we check every piece of data we want to read from the file against the version of the file itself, the version of the program that is running, and the version of the program in which that data was added to (or removed from) the state file. That is, the version history of the file format is now stored in the program code so that when v4.67 tries to read the mapopts.bin file that was created by v4.66, it knows what the 4.66 file format was so it can successfully read and parse it for old state data and user options while retaining defaults for anything new. Then it will immediately save both mapopts.bin and mapopts.bak using the newest file format.

When rolling back to an older version, the older version has no knowledge of the future version's state file format. So 4.66 will see that it is trying to read a mapopts.bin file that was created by 4.67, and it won't even try to parse the file. So having had trouble opening mapopts.bin, it will go to mapopts.bak, where it will also see that the file was created by a future version of the software, in which case it will give up again, and you will be left with fresh install defaults for everything.

I hope that all makes sense.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2006 :  08:16:39  Show Profile
Hi Ris thanks for the explanation.

I like the folder selection for the maps now, I just have to get used to it. I have not had chance to take this version out for a drive but it looks good.

But I think I have found a couple of niggles on the address search.

If you type a house number for a road when the list of roads appear they do not have the house number in front of them Previously if you type in say 20 then for street typed in HIGH you list would show...

20 HIGH STREET
20 HIGHTOP ROAD
20 HIGH MALDEN DRIVE
Etc

But that does not happen now, if you type in 20 and HIGH you just get the road names appearing on the list also even more confusing if you select a road from the list then press This Location it appears as ON HIGH STREET

Also the search mechanism appears to have changed. Previously as soon as you typed in any part of the address the red magnifying glass would appear. But now you can type in the whole address and it does not start searching until you press down arrow or back (its different keys all the time).

I could see how this could be useful if you use T9 to type the road name then you don't want Mapopolis to waste time searching for the wrong characters. I.E. typing in HIGH in T9 causes I to appear first then IL which would cause Mapopolis to start searching for roads starting with IL then when you press 4 again it changes to HIG which I imagine gives Mapopolis a headache as it now needs to re-search the roads again.

I cant exactly figure out how the new search is supposed to work on the SmartPhone platform, could you spare a few words please?

Also I like the ability for Mapopolis to remember if you where last in T9 or ABC mode and retain that mode next time round but as another question is it supposed to remember the road as well

But looking nice Ris, keep up the good work.

Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 26 févr. 2006 :  15:00:13  Show Profile
Hi dr strangetrick, when I said loading maps I meant address search and have found the same results as you, it doesn't seem so direct. Also the night/day doesn't seem to switch over automatically, if I un-check and re-check the tick box it then selects the correct one. Is there a setting I have got wrong? If I could have the smoothness of 4.64 with auto-switching of day/night screen I would be very happy. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2006 :  02:18:30  Show Profile
Hmmm, where to begin? Guess I'll just blurt out random thoughts and go from there

It IS intentionally remembering the last street name you entered, and should be remembering the house number as well. This is also persistent after exiting and restarting Mapopolis.

I didn't do anything to make it remember T9 vs. ABC mode. I've seen the wishlist request to do that, but I don't even fully understand what T9 is So I can't take credit for that change, but I'm glad you're happy with it, LOL

It SHOULD start searching instantly after every letter you type into the search box, restarting the search each time you add or change a letter in the name. This is how it has always worked before, and has not been a problem (although there's room for optimization), but apparently it is bugged in a way that is not detecting any change to the text that you entered, until the input focus moves. This is most likely the result of merging PPC and Smartphone code, in a place where Smartphone is using a different notification method than Pocket PC, and the old code was accidentally lost during the GUI restructiring effort for 4.65. It sounds like an easy bug to fix.

The numbers should also appear in the search results. I have no idea why they aren't showing up right now, but will debug it for the next beta. The last detail you mentioned, that This Location shows "On High Street" instead of the house number, implies that the house number box in the Find Address window is being completely ignored. That's usually a very simple problem to fix.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2006 :  02:29:44  Show Profile
We have had some reports from a variety of users about the autoswitching colors not switching at dawn/dusk, as expected, both on Smartphone and Pocket PC. There's no setting you have wrong or missing, it's just a bug. I've never personally seen it fail, and the problem seems intermittent, or may only fail at dawn. I'm usually looking at the program at dusk and I see it change every evening, but I am usually asleep at dawn. There must still be a problem with the background task that is supposed to be doing this, or the logic is flawed when handling the dawn case.

If you have the option for auto-switch day/night colors enabled, then it should be checking once every 5 minutes to see if it should switch the color scheme. If it doesn't switch, then it's just a bug.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 01 mars 2006 :  01:32:32  Show Profile
4.68 is now available in the usual place, but Lamar is not available today to post the release notes, so I will post them here at the end.

* Adds cancelable status box while finding contiguous map sets
* Changes status box during "Searching for maps" to show the directory names instead of file names
* Simplifies automatic day/night color switching implementation. Should fix intermittent failure to switch colors at the appropriate time.
* Changes house number box in the Find Address window so that it only accepts numbers
* Fixes bugs with Tools > Maplets > Add Location
* Fixes Find Contacts window so that it will now close properly
* Fixes folder list in Choose Maps so that it does not drop-down past the bottom of the screen on Landscape and Square displays
* Fixes text-to-speech with abbreviations "Expwy" (Expressway) "Pkwy" (Parkway) and "Is" (Island)
* Fixes bug in Smartphone edition that was ignoring the house numbers entered in the Find Address window
* Fixes non-cancelable status windows in Smartphone to show a blank menubar instead of a non-functioning cancel button
* Fixes invalid memory access error when refreshing the map list (was failing silently under WM5, resulting in a variety of problems such as the directory list not populating correctly or a wait cursor not going away)

----

The following change from the list above will be UNDONE in the NEXT version due to issues of international addresses which I was unaware of when I made the change. Sorry for any inconvenience.

And a word on this:

How many release notes have we shown that were supposed to fix this but didn't? This time, I really think it is OK. At least it looked centered on my SPVe200 without overlapping any text or flowing off the bottom of the screen. So I think we finally got it right this time. It sure took long enough!

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2006 :  07:51:36  Show Profile
Hi Ris, first of all congratulations on the speed improvements in 4.68

I was doing some testing today and tried to add a landmark, when you are on the Add Landmark page you can type whatever you want but if you make a mistake the back key does not work

Also if you try to change the category from Any Category you cant as the back does not work here either.

Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 02 mars 2006 :  16:16:14  Show Profile
Have tested 4.68 on i-mate SP5. Colour changes day/night perfect. Very smooth operation and stable. Land mark issue same as Dr StrangeTrick. Opening addresses to find street seems to supply two creating a kind of intersection but I think that is something I am doing wrong. Other than that I think it is brilliant.
Go to Top of Page

diskmemo

3 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2006 :  16:54:53  Show Profile
HI,
i tested 4.70 also on i-mate SP5. I use the logbook regulary to dokument my routes. In this version i could not open the logbook in the Menu GPS/Logbook. It happens nothing.
One question/improvment: Is it possible to export the logbook in CSV Format. It is difficult to import it in Excel in the standard Text Format

Thanks a lot

Go to Top of Page

brobinson

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2006 :  17:13:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by diskmemo

HI,
i tested 4.70 also on i-mate SP5. I use the logbook regulary to dokument my routes. In this version i could not open the logbook in the Menu GPS/Logbook. It happens nothing.
One question/improvment: Is it possible to export the logbook in CSV Format. It is difficult to import it in Excel in the standard Text Format

Thanks a lot

To import into excel, just open the text file from Excel. All of the lines will be in column A. Then go to Data, Text to Columns and parse the text using the wizard. Takes less than a minute.

Dell Axim X50v, Motorola MPx220, Haicom 303E with bluetooth slipper, Royaltek RBT-3000
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 03 mars 2006 :  21:29:29  Show Profile
Hi Ris liking 4.70 very much

But the search is still not clearing and does not automatically start when you start typing or when you press space at least not all the time.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2006 :  00:04:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi Ris liking 4.70 very much

But the search is still not clearing and does not automatically start when you start typing or when you press space at least not all the time.

Yes, unfortunately we have run into a limitation from the OS here. After the keypad timeout expires and it accepts your selected letter, the OS is not telling us that new text has been entered. We do not get a notification until the NEXT letter is pressed, or (only sometimes) when the input focus changes. The new letter is not even available to us, making us one letter behind in the program compared to what it shows in the UI.

I have a pending support request with Microsoft to straighten this out, but that kind of thing can take several weeks. In the mean time, pressing space is the best work-around I have found.

I don't think this ever worked in a past version, did it?

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code
C Code Run
Run Code Run!
Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2006 :  07:12:52  Show Profile
Hi Ris in previous versions (4.64 and below) the search page was always empty and the search started (red magnifying glass) as soon as you started typing.

Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 04 mars 2006 :  19:02:09  Show Profile
I can confirm what Dr. Strangetrick says here. The search always started previously as soon as the first character was entered, now you have to some voodoo keypressing to trigger it to run. This needs fixing.

Sorry I'm late to the 4.7 testing here. I see a some new cool stuff in there that I like. Folder based selection of maps on the SmartPhone and the interface works great for that. The ability to selection a location and then there's an option for "Dial Number". Was that ever there before? Little nice improvements to the interface like cancel buttons for the search screens and some rearrangement of the settings. The auto switch of day/night colors are cool as well, though I suspect you almost regretted adding that little feature for all the trouble it's given to get to work properly.

Under the Find menu, there's a "All Places by Type". What is that supposed to do? Nothing appears to happen when I select that.

I also found another bug, but I think is really already present in 4.6 though I think it has been discussed before and declared fixed: If you select find "Place or Business" and search for County, it doesn't find anything! This would be a useful feature otherwise, as it would it much easier to find those "diamond" symbols signifying counties, that you need to select to load a map for an area, where you don't know the file name.

One small but important area for the user interface on Smartphones that I still long to get fixed is the selection of city/postal code. Finding anything on a 1000 item long list by browsing up or down 8 items at a time is unbearable. So the result is, that it's always set to "Anywhere" and then all searches for addresses takes very long time.

The highway split error was supposed to be fixed in this release, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the release notes for any of the beta builds. Has it been postponed? [EDIT] I have tested and found this has not been corrected yet.

Overall, it might be a good idea to make a list of all the improvements made from 4.6 to 4.7, as much of the release notes right now are about intermittent bugs being fixed.

Still, from what's been said in infer, that this version is about preparing for some of the more (most) important updates to come, namely automatic map handling (I hope!), 3D view, improved voice quality and more. Looking forward to that beyond v. 4.7

And this v. 4.7 has also brought the Smartphone version up to par with the PPC version, which is just great. And it seems that the underlying changes has enabled Mapopolis to move much quicker with improvements now, which should bring many benefits in the future.
Keep up the great work.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, BlueTooth enabled Holux GM-210, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit

Edited by - AllanHvass on 06 mars 2006 20:06:32
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 06 mars 2006 :  10:55:30  Show Profile
Please don't drop the input from my previous posting right above, just because I make another one right after it

Found a couple of errors on the Smartphone edition
  • Selecting Language in the Program Options screen by moving the joystick sideways instead of pressing the action button to get to the list of languages leaves a "Language" text in the input field instead of the actual language. After that, the you can't move left/right with the joystick on that input field.
  • Selecting Find Route, and then selecting Address as entry for starting point or destination takes you to the "Select Intersection" search dialogue instead of the "Find Address" dialogue, and vice versa
  • The following settings windows has different titles in the selection of the settings screen from the settings menu and the actual title of the windows: Map Features vs. Map Settings, Program Options vs. General Options, Sounds vs. Navigation Options!!
  • In colors settings, if you even switch between the Day and Night color set, even if you don't change any color settings, it loses the checkmark set at "Switch Automatically"
  • In case of duplicate maps found, there's not room for all the information text about the problem above the scroll window that lists what maps will be used
  • I've had three cases already, where Mapopolis locks up when trying to select maps. Haven't found a specific pattern to this yet, seems a bit random
  • Autoselect Major Roads: When you go straight to the Choose Maps screen and select the Menu key, you won't see a checkmark for this option, whether it's actually checked or not. Only once you've selected it again twice inside Choose Maps will the option display as checked - until the next time you enter Choose Maps, then it will not be displayed again
  • Dawn/Dusk color switching (again...): This morning, local sunrise waws 6.53 according to local tables. At 8.15 I started Mapopolis, and it correctly kept Day colors. At 8.21 I turned off the car & GPS but left Mapopolis running. Within 5 min. it switched to Night colors... I started driving again around 8.30, but for half an hour, it never switched back to Day colors. I then quit Mapopolis and started it again, and it immediately turned back to Day colors as it should. So appearently, it can sometimes lose track of whether currently selected color set is Day or Night and not make the correct switch again, and it appears to also get confused by a lost GPS connection. [EDIT]I've found this was a combination of not having a GPS fix yet to begin with (at least not a 3D fix only a 2D fix) combined with a bug in the implementation of dawn/dusk daylight calculation. The latter part is reported in the main thread under the NEWS folder, as it's probably general rather than Smartphone specific.[EDIT EDIT]I saw exact same behavior today, so there seems to be a second bug in this as well. Seems like Mapopolis gets confused about what color state it's in and what it should shift to, if it loses GPS communication just around the time that switching of colors is necessary.

That was it for now

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Edited by - AllanHvass on 07 mars 2006 09:08:19
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 07 mars 2006 :  12:24:37  Show Profile
Test results using 4.7 on i-mate SP5 Smartphone.
No problems. Fast and smooth. Day/night switching perfect.
Comments.
The only thing I would like to have is a type-in search for the towns as it takes a long time to scroll down the list.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  05:26:03  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

I'm back after a short hiatus while I moved into my new house. I hope I didn't keep anyone waiting too long.
quote:
Under the Find menu, there's a "All Places by Type". What is that supposed to do? Nothing appears to happen when I select that.
Oops. That's a Pocket PC feature which doesn't make sense without a touch screen (yet) and the menu command was accidentally added to Smartphone when we matched up the Find menus between PPC and Smartphone recently. Thanks for catching that.

quote:
The highway split error was supposed to be fixed in this release, but I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the release notes for any of the beta builds. Has it been postponed? [EDIT] I have tested and found this has not been corrected yet.
This was bumped until after 4.7, sorry It has top priority after 4.7 final is released, and some other related routing bugs will also be addressed at that time.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  05:31:25  Show Profile
quote:
In colors settings, if you even switch between the Day and Night color set, even if you don't change any color settings, it loses the checkmark set at "Switch Automatically"
This is by design, because of the logical conundrums posed by manually selecting Day colors while the automatic switching wants Night colors. We found that automatically deselecting the automatic switching option was the clearest, most reliable way to settle all such issues without confusing users or debugging complex timer logic.
quote:
I've had three cases already, where Mapopolis locks up when trying to select maps. Haven't found a specific pattern to this yet, seems a bit random
I have also seen an intermittent problem where the map list appears empty, even though it should list one or more files. I think these problems may be related. If you notice a pattern, please advise.

Thanks for all the other problem reports, and especially the praise, we'll try to get as much of this straightened out as possible for RC2 in a few days.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  07:01:35  Show Profile
quote:
I've had three cases already, where Mapopolis locks up when trying to select maps. Haven't found a specific pattern to this yet, seems a bit random

Hi Ris I've experienced 'lockups' while on the map selection screen and a few other places.

What I have found is if I press Home then open Task Manager I find 2 processes running, Mapopolis is one process and Choose Maps is the other...

If I select the choose Maps application Mapopolis comes back to life

Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  07:57:40  Show Profile
I actually use the exact same process as Dr. Strangetrick to get Mapopolis running again by going into Task Manager and killing one of the processes Mapopolis has spawned. Problem is, that sometimes even Task Manager gets into a hung state when Mapopolis has, and the only recurse is to reboot the Smartphone. And killing processes isn't obviously a thing you would recommend general users

I've seen about three more hangs since my last report, and I've also seen one example (which confused me a lot at the time) about an empty map lists when selecting "All Folders". Haven't been able to reproduce that one.

My closest hunch to what could be a pattern - but this is very much an assumption - is that it happens when at a sub screen, i.e. spawned process visible in task manager, and at the same time a "significant" event happens in the main process, e.g. that the GPS is found or lost, or some other notification is thrown by the main program. Obviously it's not everytime, or there would be loud complaints, but it could indicate some kind of race condition or a critical section not correctly protected by a mutex.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

diskmemo

3 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  15:22:25  Show Profile
Sorry if i ask again. Is the problem with the non working logbook only on my system is it ab bug in 4.7

regards
Dieter G.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 08 mars 2006 :  20:08:40  Show Profile
Hi diskmemo, sorry for the delay in answering. I have verified your problem on my SPVe200 Smartphone 2003. Menu > GPS > Show Log - has no effect. This will be corrected for RC2. As a temporary work-around, I was able to reach the GPS log window via Menu > GPS > GPS (Data) > Menu > Show Log.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2006 :  07:24:19  Show Profile
Hi Ris another minor cosmetic issue...

When adding or editing a POI the icon is not correctly placed in the box causing the box to appear broken

Go to Top of Page

diskmemo

3 Posts

Posted - 09 mars 2006 :  08:31:51  Show Profile
Thanks a lot for your answer and also for the fantastic development in mapopolis.

@brobinson
i import it in excel, but i there are spaces in the street or town names you have a problem. So the only thing i mean with the csv format is to have a delimiter between the fields.

regards Dieter G
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2006 :  16:25:18  Show Profile
At first I thought there was no new Smartphone version only a PPC version, but then I spotted some updates, e.g. updated language.

Despite this, all the bugs I reported last week seems to be there still, incl. strange keypresses required to intiate a search, inability to find County when searching for place, selecting language by using the joystick will leave a "langauge" string in the selection field, Find Route - address takes you to select Intersection instead of Address, wrong titles of settings screens, and no checkmark when Autoselect major roads is enabled. I was not able to check situation with duplicate maps or dawn / dusk switching.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2006 :  16:39:44  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, folks,

4.7 RC2 is up. Only minor changes for Smartphone as far as I can tell.

* Fixes Smartphone menu command Tools > GPS > Show Log so that it now does something
* Removes menu command 'Find > All Places By Type' from the Smartphone edition. It was never intended for this edition.
* Fixes bug in the calculated time of dawn/dusk for southern and eastern hemispheres

and some of the other fixes listed on the beta thread page in NEWS may also apply to Smartphone. The link is here:

http://www.kudzumonthly.com/mapopolis/PPC/4.70_RC2/

Thanks.

Lamar

"Why is it that traveling Americans are always so dreadful?"
— Dodsworth by Sinclair Lewis
Go to Top of Page

brobinson

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 10 mars 2006 :  22:06:13  Show Profile
4.70 RC3

Tab order is incorrect on the GPS options page. Scrolls down to View More Ahead and then skips to over Disable Auto Power Off. After hitting bottom of screen, it then jumps back up to Disable Auto Power Off.

Dell Axim X50v, Motorola MPx220, Haicom 303E with bluetooth slipper, Royaltek RBT-3000
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2006 :  10:15:04  Show Profile
4.70 RC3

Like the 'Move POI' absolutely fantastic (could do with moving faster)

Like the no warning about GPS not being present at startup

The folder selection is playing up, if you go to All Folders and unselected all then change to the next folder all the maps are selected again same if you do unselected this folder and move to another folder then move back all the maps are selected again

The Find pages also still only search when you press up/down etc

The Edit/Create POI page still appears broken (see above)

The Navigation/Find Route options are still reversed for Select Address/Select Intersection

But the move poi makes up for the other problems, fantastic work Ris.

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 11 mars 2006 :  21:08:22  Show Profile
Hey guys another point.

Now I may have missed this a while ago but while trying some sample routes i have noticed the Route Through Here option has dissapeared

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2006 :  04:35:28  Show Profile
RC4 will have most of the same problems on Smartphone, with only a couple of bug fixes shared with PPC. We will return to smartphone-specific issues next week.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 12 mars 2006 :  05:16:52  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
RC 4 is up. I'll post the details tomorrow as it's rather late tonight, but I don't see any Smartphone-specific changes listed.

Lamar

"Hitler didn't travel. Stalin didn't travel. Saddam Hussein never traveled. They didn't want to have their orthodoxy challenged."
— Howard Gardner
Go to Top of Page

afeudale

43 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2006 :  04:43:19  Show Profile
Can anyone confirm in RC4 that the find route options are backwards? i.e. if I select "Address" it brings up the window for "Intersection" and vice versa.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 14 mars 2006 :  07:35:30  Show Profile
Hi Afeudale, yes they are still reversed but loosing the GPS not active message on startup makes up for it

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 16 mars 2006 :  09:30:20  Show Profile
Hi Ris, forgive me if I am double posting (not sure if I have seen this before)

On the SmartPhone version when you press Menu, Choose Maps (opens to All folders), Menu, Selection, Unselect all Mapopolis looses 'focus' and I need to open Task Manager then switch back to 'Choose Maps' and its ok again.

Happens every time

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 22 mars 2006 :  21:21:43  Show Profile
Hi Ris the 'loosing focus' issue is happening more and more frequently when on the map selection screen.

I can loose focus by accidentally pressing Right or Left also I have managed to loose focus numerous times by selecting and unselecting maps (I suppose I must have pressed something but I don't know what) and just going up and down but this is now happing daily

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27 mars 2006 :  20:40:05  Show Profile
Hi once more Ris.

The issue with loosing focus also happened on the GPS status page today.

I pressed * (my shortcut to GPS) and I was taken directly to the Show Satellite Map page and once again all the keys where dead. Pressing Home then bringing up Task Manager and returning to the 'Show Satellite Status' screen everything was fine.

As I thought it was strange to go direct to the show satellite status page I exited Mapopolis and tried it again. Exactly the same thing happened.

Trying this a third time worked fine

Anybody else having problems with loosing focus

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2006 :  00:35:01  Show Profile
Thanks for all these reports Dr StrangeTrick. I've been watching them, but I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you yet. I understand the problem you described, but don't know yet why it is happening.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 28 mars 2006 :  07:44:06  Show Profile
Thanks Ris, all I can say is that the loosing focus problem has only happened in 4.70.

Also the issue with pressing left/right on the map selection screen can be replicated every time. I know it may be easy to say don't press left or right but its not always easy on the SmartPhone.

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 29 mars 2006 :  10:27:10  Show Profile
Hi Ris, while messing about today I have noticed that if I run Mapopolis via the Microsoft Activesync Remote Display utility (like PC-anywhere for Windows Mobile) that no matter what I try Mapopolis never looses focus

Even when I try the left/right on the choose map screen

I thought you may find this useful if you are looking into it.

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 02 avr. 2006 :  22:31:25  Show Profile
Hi Dr. StrangeTrick, we received a bug report by email today which sounded similar to your lost focus problem, so I thought I'd bounce it off you to see if we can identify any more similarities or differences in behavior here... the user I heard from today says that every time Mapopolis begins to speak a voice prompt, using text-to-speech, the Today screen comes up, sending Mapopolis to the background (or vice-versa: Mapopolis goes to the background, bringing the Today screen to the front). This makes me wonder if device-dependant differences are responding differently to the same bug, where you only lose focus, this other user's Smartphone may be thinking, "Oh, the main application lost the focus, so I'll bring up the Today screen..." The other user said the problem seemed to have something to do with voice prompts. Does that observation fit for your case too?
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 03 avr. 2006 :  06:57:42  Show Profile
Hi Ris thanks for replying.

To confirm I have never experienced loosing focus issues while driving.

On my device I loose focus on keyboard events, no particular pattern to them (except for the choose map screen) but I get several during the day while loading maps, scanning routes etc.

What I will say is I always set phones to the same timeouts, I know it doesn't fit the pattern but you never know. I always have my homescreen timeout set to never and my power management options are backlight timeout = 60 seconds and display timeout =1 minute

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 04 avr. 2006 :  01:36:28  Show Profile
Thanks, your info is priceless as usual
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  21:08:21  Show Profile
FYI the new 4.71.01 beta is now available. Please check the News thread for the release notes and download link.

There were a couple of Smartphone-only issues which I was not able to reproduce in 4.71.01 prior to release. While these bugs are not explicitly fixed by 4.71.01, my hope is that they have been indirectly fixed by other changes. These include:

I had a report that the "Route through here" command was missing... Press the left soft key to show This Location, and press it again for a context menu. "Route Through" is in the menu and appears to be enabled/disabled at appropriate times as far as I can tell.

I could not reproduce any problem with the Today screen coming to the front at the start of voice prompts, or the input focus becoming lost after keyboard events. So I'm not sure what is going on there and I've got my fingers crossed that these problems won't happen in the new beta.

If you are still encountering these or any other problems in the new version, then please let us know.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 06 avr. 2006 :  22:14:35  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, guys,

Release notes are on the front page.

Lamar

"Travel is the frivolous part of serious lives, and the serious part of frivolous ones." -- Anne Sophie Swetchine
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2006 :  16:50:12  Show Profile
I seem to have found a repeatable way to provoke the "lockup" bug in sub-screens in Mapopolis on the Smartphone with the newest beta. Hopefully this allows to find and troubleshoot the issue.

The procedure is simple: Set the Mapopolis GPS connection to start automatically at startup. Map one of the hardware buttons to the GPS subscreen. Start Mapopolis without having the GPS turned on, and immediately after Mapopolis has started, hit that button mapped to the GPS subscreen. Let it sit for 10-20 sec. until the attempt to find the COM port and GPS device fails. Now the GPS screen will not take any input anymore and appear hung. In reality, it's still running, as it will still update status information continuously.

Happy testing Ris

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 09 avr. 2006 :  23:27:45  Show Profile
Thanks Allan, that sounds simple enough, I'll check it out.
Go to Top of Page

looby

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2006 :  11:14:14  Show Profile
I have tried the 'learning to Fly' on my i-mate SP5 and it works a treat. It's very fast and on a recent trip to Gatwick Airport and back from Norwich it didn't miss a beat including all speed camera alerts. Also tried it in Portugal with no problems. Day/night change perfect. Excellent.
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 10 avr. 2006 :  22:06:13  Show Profile
Thanks looby, that's music to my ears
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  20:53:37  Show Profile
I'd like to make a special point about the following release note related to the latest beta 4.71.02:

* Fixes cosmetic bug in the Edit Landmark window which drew the icon slightly outside the allocated box

You guys will have to let me know if it looks OK now. I don't have a C550 or other square-display Smartphone to test on, and it always looked OK on the SPVe200's portrait display, so I took a shot in the dark and tried to make the icon box a little bigger so the icon itself would not overlap the bottom of the box. There is an alternate solution we will try if it still looks bad.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 25 avr. 2006 :  21:59:35  Show Profile
Hi Ris, minor issue with 4.71.2

Tab order on the GPS options page is wrong
The 'Not Responding' message is too big...

Also while on the subject of this message I GPS is dead so this means I cant do any real testing for a while and I will be restricted to map browsing etc but this panel on top of the this location page is taking up too much space on the screen.

What about if Mapopolis determines that the GPS is not active on startup etc then can these messages be removed from the screen I know my GPS is not responding!!! I just want to look at the maps.

Mapopolis still 'Doinks' when you press Done on the choose map screen

The Edit POI dialogue is now fine

Also so far I have not lost focus once

Thanks for the good work Ris

Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2006 :  07:10:50  Show Profile
Downloaded newest beta version (4.71.02). Things look really good now. Here's a followup from my old bug list report over in the News section at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53081&whichpage=2 (halfway down).

• I can not get the Smartphone version to do a lockup anymore, no matter how hard I try. It wasn't in the list of bug fixes, but something has been done that corrected it anyway. Dr. Strangetrick observed this as well. SUPER! This was the most important bug to fix.
  • I fixed the Place translation for Danish, so it's now OK for that language (haven't checked the other ones). Done with that
  • Sound Settings screen title now fixed. However the problem also exist for the Map Features / Map Settings screen and the Program Options / General Options screen
  • Split highway bug is still there I suppose, it's not mentioned in the bug fix list. This is the most important functionality bug currently in my mind (versus most other bugs that are user interface bugs).
  • No fixes yet to the dawn/dusk problem You mentioned you would fix what was displayed in the Color Settings screen. However, today it displays 5:29/20:29 if the GPS is not turned on, 4:35/19:39 if the GPS is turned on. Local almanac says dawn/dusk occurs at 5:41/20:34. Actual color switching takes place at 5:35 / 20:39. So the issue is still exactly as reported on http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=53081&whichpage=1. Interesting to note is, that the time switching winds backwards exactly 50 min. and not 1 hour when the GPS gets connected.
  • Selecting language from the settings menu now works correctly
  • I can confirm Dr. Strangetricks observation about "GPS Not Responding" text not fitting in the window.
  • I forgot to remind you of the ETA bug on the last list. I.e. ETA only takes into account current average speed for the current road segment rather the current route until next direction change, so it hardly adjusts ETA time at all even when stuck in a queue.
  • I did an upgrade rather than clean install. In that case the "Use GAPI for video performance" was deselected initially. Is this intentional on Smartphone Windows Mobile 2003r2? Or is because it was an upgrade? In any case, it's very little observable performance difference, GPS acceleration may be slightly faster when panning across detailed maps with large zoomout.

This is my complete list of known bugs that I can observe. So it's actually pretty short and should be possible to close it completely within one more beta round.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Edited by - AllanHvass on 26 avr. 2006 07:32:42
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2006 :  21:08:06  Show Profile
I'm under a mandated project handed down from the Big Boss this week (more news on that next week when we ask you guys to start testing it for us) so some of this will have to wait a little bit, however I want to comment on a few things...

Not Responding...

The next beta is going to reduce the text size and remove the bold style so that all the text will fit.

quote:
What about if Mapopolis determines that the GPS is not active on startup etc then can these messages be removed from the screen I know my GPS is not responding!!! I just want to look at the maps.
What you have here is a condition where you have basically lied to Mapopolis telling it you have a GPS you expect to be there at program startup, but it's not there. Since you know you don't have GPS available, and you don't want it to show this message, then take one or all of the following actions:
1) Stop GPS manually using menu commands, etc
2) Don't start GPS to begin with
3) Turn off the option to auto-start GPS at program startup

quote:
Mapopolis still 'Doinks' when you press Done on the choose map screen
I'm not sure why this is, but I'll look into it after this secret project to-be-revealed next week.

quote:
No fixes yet to the dawn/dusk problem...
This was overlooked accidentally. The 50-minute offset problem will remain in the next beta. We're fixing it to honor DST first, and we'll see how that effects the 50-minute offset while GPS is connected, and go from there next week.

Highway splits are at the top of the list after this special project, with ETA enhancement to follow shortly thereafter.

GAPI...

GAPI should be OFF by default under any of the following conditions:
1) High resolution VGA display
2) square display
3) no gx.dll available on the system

If GAPI is off by default, it should not be possible to turn it on. This feature is only intended for turning OFF GAPI for compatibility on certain devices or configurations where GAPI is used by mistake and does not work. Note this is in contrast with my original post on the subject over in the News forum, because we changed some decisions between that post and the actual release (after I found out it was far too easy to crash the Axim x50v/WM5 by turning on GAPI, and then it was not possible to get back into the program to turn it off again without a clean install)
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2006 :  21:52:14  Show Profile
One more thing, I'm retroactively adding this release note for .02 which I forgot to note when I made the change:

* Removes input focus management intended to keep Mapopolis visible on top of Bluetooth connection windows

This is apparently what fixed the lost-focus problem on the Smartphone. I'm not sure it ever kept Mapopolis on top of BT connection windows anyway.
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2006 :  22:31:50  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ris
GAPI...

2) square display

If GAPI is off by default, it should not be possible to turn it on. This feature is only intended for turning OFF GAPI for compatibility on certain devices or configurations where GAPI is used by mistake and does not work.

In that case there's a minor bug here. I don't have high resolution VGA (it's plain old 220x176), it's not square, and gx.dll is available on the system since I can turn GAPI on and it works fine. Not a huge issue though, but to reach perfection it should probably be fixed some time.

Agree with the way to get GPS dawn/dusk timing to work. Let's solve it one step at a time.

I've done quite some intense usage with Mapopolis today, incl. a lot of stuff that I KNOW would have caused the lockup previously. There has not been a single hickup - the program seems rock solid now with respect to keep it responding in all dialogue boxes. Thread very carefully now with changing this part of the code in the future, don't lose the stability that has been achieved now

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 26 avr. 2006 :  22:48:09  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AllanHvass

quote:
Originally posted by Ris
GAPI...

2) square display

If GAPI is off by default, it should not be possible to turn it on. This feature is only intended for turning OFF GAPI for compatibility on certain devices or configurations where GAPI is used by mistake and does not work.

In that case there's a minor bug here. I don't have high resolution VGA (it's plain old 220x176), it's not square, and gx.dll is available on the system since I can turn GAPI on and it works fine. Not a huge issue though, but to reach perfection it should probably be fixed some time.

Ah, I see why... during program startup it was setting the program option defaults, and THEN loading DLLs... so at the time when it set the default value for the GAPI option, it had not yet loaded gx.dll, so it thought it was missing... but by the time you loaded the program options screen, it could see that gx.dll was available so it allowed the checkbox to be enabled. This will be fixed in .03 so that GAPI is on by default for you, as it should be.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

C Code; C Code Run; Run Code Run; Run Damnit Run!!
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  07:57:19  Show Profile
Hi Ris

quote:
What you have here is a condition where you have basically lied to Mapopolis telling it you have a GPS you expect to be there at program startup, but it's not there. Since you know you don't have GPS available, and you don't want it to show this message, then take one or all of the following actions:
1) Stop GPS manually using menu commands, etc
2) Don't start GPS to begin with
3) Turn off the option to auto-start GPS at program startup

I understand what you are saying and yes you are right I am lying to Mapopolis but I'm sure there must be other users who open Mapopolis just to look at the maps etc and don't have their GPS switched on. Its not mandatory to use Mapopolis with a GPS

What I am trying to say is in previous versions this message never appeared so when it come to map browsing or 'offline' route planning you still had all the screen to use. I don't want to change my options as nearly all of the time I keep the GPS on.

I appreciate the message when I loose connection to my GPS while driving just not when I am at home/work studying maps.

What about putting this message into the title bar so its still there for everyone to see but does not intrude onto the map screen or taking a leaf out of TomTom's book and go for a small flashing icon to show the GPS is not responding

Anyway I would also like to say that after an almost complete day of usage offline (with the not responding message ) Mapopolis did not loose focus once

Good work Ris.

Orange C550, no GPS :-(
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  20:45:05  Show Profile
All bug fixes for this version seems to be in there as expected.

Regarding dawn/dusk display in the Color Settings window now displays the same time as the actual color switching taking place, i.e. it has taken into account DST now. Great

As expected, the other issue with the dawn/dusk switching time winding forward 50 min. when a GPS is not connected is still there. I checked, and without a GPS connected, that is actually also the time the color switching will take place. As soon as a GPS is connected, it will wind the dawn/dusk switching time back 50 min.

I did an interesting calculation: I'm at approx 12.4 longitude. If you punch in 12.4 / 360 * 24 * 60, that's how much off the true local time is to the GMT timeline. And that yields 49.6 min.... So I'm pretty certain that the 50 min. drift is somehow related to Mapopolis doing the calculation assuming a 0 in longitude, when there's no GPS attached. Perhaps it's just not storing the last observed longitude coordinate correctly?

Can't wait to hear what the big news next week is. I hope it's a nice surprise.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, Holux GPSlim-236, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit

Edited by - AllanHvass on 27 avr. 2006 20:47:16
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  21:28:45  Show Profile
quote:
I'm under a mandated project handed down from the Big Boss this week (more news on that next week when we ask you guys to start testing it for us)

Could this be the long awaited PC viewer/Assistant

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 27 avr. 2006 :  22:12:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AllanHvass

I did an interesting calculation: I'm at approx 12.4 longitude. If you punch in 12.4 / 360 * 24 * 60, that's how much off the true local time is to the GMT timeline. And that yields 49.6 min.... So I'm pretty certain that the 50 min. drift is somehow related to Mapopolis doing the calculation assuming a 0 in longitude, when there's no GPS attached. Perhaps it's just not storing the last observed longitude coordinate correctly?
Hmmm, I expected as much. What's very strange is that it apparently uses a correct non-zero latitude. I think it's likely that hemispheres are coming into play... the North latitude is as expected, but the East longitude may be throwing something off. It's definitely a thinker...

quote:
Could this be the long awaited PC viewer/Assistant
I'LL NEVER TELL!!! hehe, actually I can say it's definitely not this... but you'll probably find out on Monday...

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  07:43:05  Show Profile
quote:
but you'll probably find out on Monday...

Cant wait

Anyway just to let you know the not responding font now fits the panel but what about moving or removing the panel

I still get a Doink when I press Done on the choose map screen

The tab order problem on 4.41.01 is now fixed

One question, am I supposed to see the use GAPI feature on QVGA SmartPhone

Other than that it looks good, my new GPS will be here next week so I can see how it performs on the road.

Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  13:54:52  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Boy, is it EVER NOT a PC assistant!

Lamar

"A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." –- John Steinbeck
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 28 avr. 2006 :  22:35:09  Show Profile
quote:
Anyway just to let you know the not responding font now fits the panel but what about moving or removing the panel
How about if we remove the addon panel showing "Waiting for Fix / Not Responding" as it relates to the This Location panel, but allow it to be shown on all the other Panels to Show (navigation, pilot, etc). I think this would address the concerns for Smartphone users, yes?

However, I still assert that you will get better performance, and it is ideally better in general if you stop GPS in Mapopolis when you know there is no GPS hardware available.

quote:
One question, am I supposed to see the use GAPI feature on QVGA SmartPhone
Yes, I believe so. The checkbox should appear at the bottom of the General Program Settings window, should be turned ON by default, and the checkbox should be enabled.

Please note that due to a bug in the previous beta, if you performed a typical "dirty" install, then the option may continue to be off as set by the previous bugged default option. You should be able to confirm that it defaults properly to ON now by either performing a clean install, or by using the Set Defaults command from the General Program Settings window. You should also be able to turn the feature on without creating any problems. I would expect the use of GAPI to improve video performance slightly on most, if not all, QVGA Smartphones.

The rule of thumb for this option is as follows...

GAPI should be turned OFF by default, and it should not be possible to turn the option on under any or all of the following 3 conditions (the checkbox will be disabled / grayed-out):
1) You have a square display
2) You have a display with greater than 96 DPI resolution (e.g. VGA displays at 192 DPI)
3) Your OEM has not provided the GAPI library (gx.dll) in the OS for your WM device

Under all other conditions, GAPI should be turned ON by default, and may be turned off using the checkbox.
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  07:10:27  Show Profile
quote:
How about if we remove the addon panel

Yes I would like to see the message removed from the This Location panel. But this may present a problem, suppose you are driving along and for some reason you loose communication with the GPS. How would Mapopolis inform me that my GPS was not responding

I don't use the This Location panel when I am driving but the "Not Responding" message does appear and without the This Location panel and if it stays not responding for a while the message disappears and the GPS icon turns orange.

I would like to see this message removed when I am not driving but when I am driving I would like to see a notification that the GPS has stopped responding. Thats why I suggested this message is moved to the title bar what does everyone else think as this could potentially be the proverbial can of worms.

With reference to the GAPI feature, until there is some method of exporting/importing favourites then I will always perform a dirty install (do you know how long it takes to add all my favourites from landmarks on a clean install) but to satisfy my curiosity I uninstalled both PC and SmartPhone and performed a clean install but the option does not appear on the General Settings page, if I scroll to the bottom of the page this is all I get...

But it looks like there may be something 'off the bottom of the screen' as this is the only settings page where the scroll bar does not go to the bottom of the scroll region. I have pressed down arrow all the way and back up just in case there was a tab order issue but this makes no difference

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  17:53:40  Show Profile
I will comment more on the Not Responding issue later (not necessarily today). As I'm short on time, I will only point out one thing for now: The OS inserts the words "Not Responding" into the title bar to indicate that an application "task" is not responding, e.g. that it has crashed/frozen/hung. I would hate to confuse that with the completely different situation where the program is operating normally, but is unable to communicate with the GPS hardware... I can imagine users saying "the program stops responding (crashes) when I turn off my GPS hardware "

On the issue of GAPI, there is definitely a checbox off the bottom of the screen, and you have revealed a bug which is preventing access to that checkbox. Thanks! We'll fix it.

Best Regards,
Ris

Mapopolis.com Inc

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  21:41:18  Show Profile
OK I'm back from my friends' play...

The concern has been raised: If This Location no longer shows the Not Responding bar, then how will I be notified that the GPS has stopped responding while driving?

Other existing features should address this already:

1) The GPS icon turns orange
2) A sound is played (lost fix)
3) The Navigation Pane will be shown automatically (if enabled) which includes the Not Responding message

I suppose I should qualify item 3 to say it's not necessarily the "Navigation" panel, but whichever panel mode you last selected (could be Turn Reminder, etc) because it acts like an automatic trigger of "Show/Hide Current Panel".

My concern is this... suppose your GPS unit's battery dies, so it stops responding (or the cable comes loose, etc) If you had This Location up, you might mistake this condition with a normal Lost Fix and keep waiting for a fix to be acquired, not realizing it is worse than a lost fix.

So really this makes me come back to my original point: If you're not driving and you want to hide this message, why not just Stop GPS? It's easy enough to configure a hardware button for Stop GPS, which becomes an equivalent function to "Hide the Not Responding message"
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 29 avr. 2006 :  22:07:05  Show Profile
Hi Ris, I agree with everything you say about the 'Not Responding' message and I agree it needs to be there. I am just trying to suggest an alternative that wont upset everyone else.

If the titlebar is an option then can we not change the message to "No signal" or "GPS not active" but I have to say I have never seen my SmartPhone OS say 'Not Responding' if a program hangs then 9 times out of 10 its a pull the battery out

Also on the SmartPhone there is no shortcut key for start or stop gps the only option available is gps but then you still have to press Menu, Stop then wait a few seconds then press Done before you can do any work.

I don't mean to sound difficult just trying to change it slightly

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  08:00:08  Show Profile
quote:
I don't mean to sound difficult just trying to change it slightly
Hey don't worry about it, I think it's a very reasonable issue I can dig where you're coming from and I have to admit you're beginning to sell me on the title bar idea. I'll have to think about it though.
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  09:29:45  Show Profile
I have to say, that I'm not too keen on getting information to the title bar in general. It will make it even more difficult in the future to then persuade Mapopolis to go full-screen on the Smartphone platform. Right now, the only essential things in the top bar is from the O/S, and those could still be overlayed on a moving map.

Speaking of which, how about at least start with removing the "This Location" and "Menu" texts above the two buttons and gain 10% more screen space?

Like Dr. Strangetrick, I'm also not using "This Location" pane when driving, because it tells me what the name of the street in the center of the screen is, which is often not the same as I'm driving on, because I use the "Center Forward" setting. If "This Location" would be taken the same place as the blue teardrop, then I would probably be using that pane while driving.

(Then we can discuss the title bar later )

In general, the "GPS Responding" text does not annoy me, if I'm using Mapopolis without GPS connected. Either I'm only doing a quick check of something and then it's a very short-term issue, or if I doing some route planning that takes a while, I will turn off GPS from the menu. However, a very quick easy fix to this could instead be to be able to map a hardware button to a "Start / Stop GPS" functionality. That would be handy also for those people who prefer to not auto-start GPS at program startup.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Using SmartPhone QTek 8020, 512MB miniSD, Holux GPSlim-236, Mapopolis, Parrot BT car kit
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  16:33:53  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, Allan,

Good points.

Thanks,

Lamar

"A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." –- John Steinbeck
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 30 avr. 2006 :  20:51:47  Show Profile
Fullscreen is another option

If Mapopolis was fullscreen it would not matter about these messages

Or kill two birds with one stone go fullscreen and use an icon to indicate no response from the GPS

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 01 mai 2006 :  23:53:11  Show Profile
Copied from the News thread...

I promised an exciting announcement coming on Monday... which is today... so the time has arrived to announce...

<-- da da da da Trumpets -->

Mapopolis will be producing a NavCard product for Windows Mobile platforms!

This product will be a 2GB SD Card with Mapopolis Navigator and the latest maps pre-installed and ready to go as an "out of the box" solution. The goal of this project will be to produce a product that we can sell out of a box, on a shelf, in a "brick and mortar" store, to ween off of reliance on web-based downloads and setup/installation issues.

In light of this project, we will be working over the coming weeks on features related to:
1) Simplifying map selection and installation issues
2) Improving the interface for "finger friendly" operation

It is my sincere hope that new features and enhancements that we make for the purpose of the NavCard will also be made available to non-NavCard ("download") users but it is unclear at this time whether the Navigator software will have to be branched for different NavCard and Download versions.

Mapopolis already offers such a product for the Palm platform. Anyone with experience with the Palm NavCard may be aware of the different map data format that we use for that product - large regional maps, rather than individual small county maps. We will NOT (initially) be switching to that paradigm for the WM NavCard product, which will continue to use the same county maps with which you are already familiar. However, we are looking into the least painful way to make the transition to regional maps on the Windows Mobile platforms, and we intend to move in that direction if the WM NavCard is a success.

The earliest demo and feesibility tests for the WM NavCard are already complete, but requires some additional fine-tuning before we will be ready to present it to you, the beta testing community, for testing and feedback.

We will release more news about this exciting new project later this week when we decide how we are going to operate our beta testing program, and have a better idea about a date when the first pre-release/beta will become available.
Go to Top of Page

paulkbiba

USA
5064 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  00:57:45  Show Profile
This is very exciting news. The NavCard was a huge step forward for Mapopolis, and still is the only program that will allow coast to coast navigation on the Palm with full road details of the intermediate areas. This development bodes well for Mapopolis' future.

Don't forget the GPSPassion Club!
Go to Top of Page

AllanHvass

Denmark
396 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  07:01:18  Show Profile
Hi Ris,

I think it sounds super! As already said, it could open a whole new customer base.

I do need to make you aware, that if you want to compete in Europe, especially with TomTom but also with a few other players, it will be essential to have a third major development area: User Experience. This especially relates to 3D map view, Icon based operation (that may already be covered by your finger friendly operation), voice quality, which must move to 16-bit and better displaying of bodies of water especially coast lines.

In the mass market in Europe, those aspects will be important to attract the general consumer, who are quite different from us nerds navigating to the Mapopolis web site, doing online download and buying, and showing up in this forum daily to doing nitty-gritty discussion

Obviously, an even bigger issue would be to find the right distributino channels. In Denmark at least, most navigation systems today is sold through general audio/visuel electronics shops, the largest wholesale markets and the major telco shops.

It's certainly a good thing that so much work the last months has gone into erradicating all known bugs, because that is also super-important in this market. Average consumers would never even find a new version for download anywhere on the web, and may not be able to figure out how to upgrade either.

I would certainly hope that this can be kept as a single Windows Mobile application. I dread to think of the resource drain it will put on a small company as Mapopolis to do parallel development of two almost identical apps. Better keep the code base common and if needed package the differences up in a very few code modules, e.g. as it relates to installation. I also strongly hope, that the NavCard solution will be available both on the PocketPC and Smartphone platforms. Also remember, that you need to offer NavCard on both SD Cards, miniSD Cards and microSD Cards.

Thinking about it, would there even by ANY reason to not have only a single application from a software perspective? For the Navigator product, you buy all of the U.S. or all of Europe anyway. If it puts some additional requirements on the user on how to install a downloaded version of the app compared to something that comes on an 2GB SD Card, then so be it. The only thing that seems to need to be taken into the account is how the application behaves, if not all maps are present on the SD Card (because the user don't have 2GB). That shouldn't be a hard requirement.

Think about it: Mapopolis with (semi?) auto map handling, icon driven finger-friendly operation, 3D map views and high quality audio... That would be a fantastic product

Let us know how we can participate in the beta testing.

Best regards
Allan Hvass

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 02 mai 2006 :  21:49:29  Show Profile
quote:
Mapopolis will be producing a NavCard product for Windows Mobile platforms

Fantastic news, no more map guessing/loading, no more land/water issues, improved performance from the NavCard data structures

I completely agree with the comments from AllanHvass but I am a little concerned about the 2GB SD card.

I still have my original Orange E100, an MPx200, Orange E200 and I now have a Orange C550 and with my contract due to expire in July I expect to upgrade to Windows Mobile 2005/WiFi etc (whichever model Orange releases) but I can say that a fair few of these devices will not accept a 2Gb card.

My C550 and the E200 I believe will be happy with 2Gb cards (haven’t got one to try) and I suspect that nearly all PocketPC's will be happy with a 2Gb card so I fear this turn some users away from you.

Also 2Gb is the limit for Mini-SD cards at the moment so this then raises another question, how big do we expect the map data to be if we are talking about a full 2Gb of data then I am going to have problems with my other applications as I have 160Mb of programs and data on my 1Gb Mini-SD card and this may not fit on the same card at the same time.

In addition Micro-SD cards only come in 1Gb varieties at the moment so this would make their devices unsupported at the moment considering that almost all new SmartPhones coming later this year will mainly be Micro-SD based you could have a bit of a headache on your hands.

Once again don’t get me wrong I am all for this and I wait with baited breath but just so you guys realise what you may be letting yourselves in for

Go to Top of Page

dornier

93 Posts

Posted - 08 mai 2006 :  07:21:13  Show Profile
Hi,

Wondering if someone can help me with a routing issue? I didn't realize that there was a beta topic so I posted the question at http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=55363 .

Thanks,

GP
Go to Top of Page

Jsheathcote

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2006 :  17:23:09  Show Profile
I had a strange problem on Thursday where Mapopolis would not recognise the location of my maps (stored on the same SD card they have always been on). I had on the evening before installed the Sea Train revision.

Repeated reboots and resets did not bring back the maps either. In the end I had to uninstall and reinstall Mapopolis. In fact I reinstalled the previous version to Sea Train. All has been good since.

Anyone else experienced similar problems?

Jay

HP iPaq hx2410 with 256Mb CF, 256Mb SD and Holux Supermouse
Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 21 mai 2006 :  23:22:17  Show Profile
Hi Jay,

I've not heard of that happening and can't guess why it should occur when upgrading from 4.71.02 to .03. When you say it wouldn't recognize any of the maps... what does that mean? Did you go to Choose Maps > View > Refresh, to make it scan for maps, but it didn't find anything?
Go to Top of Page

Jsheathcote

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 23 mai 2006 :  23:09:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ris

Hi Jay,

I've not heard of that happening and can't guess why it should occur when upgrading from 4.71.02 to .03. When you say it wouldn't recognize any of the maps... what does that mean? Did you go to Choose Maps > View > Refresh, to make it scan for maps, but it didn't find anything?

Occasionally I try to find a route, select the start and destination and hit the X to start but it will distort the screen and the Pocket PC will lock up. To bring it out I have to force a reset.

Then when I retry I find that all my map selection has reset and Northern Ireland has defaulted.

On the occasion when it lost all my maps, I could not get Mapopolis to find them again, even thought they were still clearly stored on the SD card.

I'll try and get more details should it happen again.

Jay

Go to Top of Page

Ris

USA
679 Posts

Posted - 24 mai 2006 :  20:27:11  Show Profile
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the added info.

Sometimes when the program crashes as you described, it can leave the mapopts files corrupted so that the user options are either reset completely, or recent changes are not saved. The program has to be idle for 2 seconds and showing the map view in order for the user options to be saved, which includes the list of known maps and the current selection of open maps. So that may explain how the map selection was reset.

But the crash is troubling. When you chose the route start/end points, which option did you have selected, or which option do you typically use for "Return to": First Step, Whole Route, or Text Directions? That might help narrow down why it distorted the screen and then locked up.
Go to Top of Page

lamar@mapopolis.com

USA
2508 Posts

Posted - 25 mai 2006 :  17:02:58  Show Profile  Visit lamar@mapopolis.com's Homepage
Hi, Jay,

Have you tried transferring the maps and application to your other storage card? Failing media can be the devil to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

Lamar

"The journey is my home." — Muriel Rukeyser
Go to Top of Page

dornier

93 Posts

Posted - 30 mai 2006 :  20:52:19  Show Profile
Does the current beta work with the new Motorola Q smartphone?

Thanks,

GP
Go to Top of Page

Jsheathcote

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 19 juin 2006 :  00:22:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Jsheathcote

quote:
Originally posted by Ris

Hi Jay,

Occasionally I try to find a route, select the start and destination and hit the X to start but it will distort the screen and the Pocket PC will lock up. To bring it out I have to force a reset.

Then when I retry I find that all my map selection has reset and Northern Ireland has defaulted.

On the occasion when it lost all my maps, I could not get Mapopolis to find them again, even thought they were still clearly stored on the SD card.

I'll try and get more details should it happen again.

Jay

I have found the cause of the problem with screen distorts when searching for a new route.

If Mapopolis has not yet recognised the GPS signal the program bugs out, messes up the screen and forces you to reboot to unfreeze the iPaq.

Jay

Go to Top of Page

dendthoff

10 Posts

Posted - 27 juin 2006 :  04:48:54  Show Profile
I started using the latest beta on my Motorola Q about a week ago and it works fine. There is a little scrolling required on some of the menus, but other than that it works fine.

The only other small bit of annoyance is that all the hardware keys require you to change your keyboard to numeric mode. Not a huge deal, and very understandable since this is the first QWERTY smartphone.

I-Mate KJAM / Atech GR-102 / 1GB MiniSD
MIO-168 / 1GB SD
Mapopolis 4.63 Beta
Go to Top of Page

Jsheathcote

United Kingdom
32 Posts

Posted - 28 juin 2006 :  00:26:45  Show Profile
If you try to search for a route with "Current position" as the start point before Mapopolis has locked onto the GPS signal the program crashes, distorts the screen and forces you to perform a hard reset on the Pocket PC.

Jay

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 09 juil. 2006 :  09:46:51  Show Profile
Mapopolis 4.71.05, Very nice I like the new method of map management

But do I have some issue...
Previously I would keep all my custom MLP files in a separate folder. Now to be able to combine them with a specific region I need to move the MLP files into that region's map folder

Also the multiple select on the choose region screen does not work if I enable multi select and I have England highlighted then press down to France and press Done it unloads England and only loads France. The MRM's remain open but thats no good for cross region routing as the detail maps have been closed

Now one of the best and worst features in one go.
You can now find an address anywhere in the region and once the road has been found Mapopolis will take you there immediately. So even if you don't know which county 'Eardley End Road' is you can just type that into the street box and you have a match for all Eardley end roads (no more messing with counties) However on my device (UK Orange C550 it takes over 10 minutes to find Eardley End Road

So to make things faster I decided to do a more local search and to change Anywhere to Castle Bromwich. While this does make the searching faster we encounter on another problem. on the City/Postal code screen you have to up/down or page up/page down now this is a complete nightmare to find Castle Bromwich I had to press and hold 5 for 50 seconds to get to Castle... on the list. Trying this the other way I decided to try where I work (Solihull) and this took over 80 seconds to press 4 then press and hold 2 to work up to Solihull.

While we have made fantastic advances in map management the implementation is sadly lacking (or at least on the SmartPhone version) so please please please can we have some form of Smart Filter on the City/Postal Code screen something like the SmartPhones built-in contact search. Like when you are on the home screen and you want to dial Jane you press 5 and that filters the contact list to everything that begins with JKL then you press 2 then press 6 and instantly you have Jane.

If the region multi select and the city/postal search could be fixed then this would be a winner

Orange C550, Holux GPSlim 236
Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 10 juil. 2006 :  21:25:36  Show Profile
Some observations while driving today.

Performance is slightly down, some pauses in the speech and when zooming in and out while driving you would see the purple box and quite often it would pause for a few seconds then carry on. It is just about usable but only just.

Navigation seems to have improved on my drive back home today I was given route which practically matched the way I drive home normally.

Love the new region system

Go to Top of Page

Dr_StrangeTrick

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 12 juil. 2006 :  06:29:07  Show Profile
Very quiet round here, any SmartPhone users left

Anyway downloaded the latest and we now go back from region based mapping to conventional county mapping.

This obviously removes the search issues as now Mapopolis only searches the selected maps but I am pleased to report the 'improved' routing seems to have carried over to the normal version of Mapopolis

So come on everyone give this new version a try and post your comments

Go to Top of Page

GrYph0n

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 04 nov. 2006 :  20:06:29  Show Profile  Visit GrYph0n's Homepage
What happened to the beta testing? I have been using this latest version since I have been back in the states, but this topic seems to have died.

Eric Jones
"GrYph0n"
Editor and Administrator of
www.mobilegadgetnews.com

Using i-Mate Smartflip with GlobalSat BT359W GPS.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2015_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4,19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05