Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2264

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Advanced Topics
 Maps and POIs
 Help Garmin c330 and Custom POI files
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fr_jack

6 Posts

Posted - 08 nov. 2005 :  19:55:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just recently picked up a garmin c330 gps and have started making some custom POI files. That seams to work ok. My problem is the BMP to go along witht he .csv.

The POI shows up ont he map but the Image is always garbled.

Does anyone have the Exact requirements for the customer POI graffic. IE size, color pallet. etc.

i am using Photoshop to create the graffic's

thanks

Edited by - fr_jack on 08 nov. 2005 23:03:09

Ads

hcornea

Australia
599 Posts

Posted - 25 nov. 2005 :  23:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
specifications are:

24 x 24 pixels
BMP

8-bit colour ensures compatibility with older machines with less colour.

Photoshop won't save in 8-bit, so save and open in Microsoft icture editor, and save as 256-colour BMP

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

fr_jack

6 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2005 :  20:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks that might have been thr problem. saving with too many colors
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2005 :  21:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no, its the software. You should be able to use 1 bit(2 colors), 4 bit (16 colors), 8 bit (256 colors), 24 bit (16.7 million colors), and 32 bit (16.7 million colors with alpha channel).
I had the same problem until I used a different software.
Go to Top of Page

fr_jack

6 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2005 :  21:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was using Photoshop. Is there anything you recomend Redcloud?

Edited by - fr_jack on 07 déc. 2005 22:01:51
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07 déc. 2005 :  23:05:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Paint Express by Slavasoft.
http://www.slavasoft.com/
Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
599 Posts

Posted - 10 déc. 2005 :  16:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please post back and let us know how you got on ...
Go to Top of Page

fr_jack

6 Posts

Posted - 04 janv. 2006 :  17:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally had time now the new year is here to play with it.

Yes resaving the images in Paint worked and solved the problem.

Strange the photoshop did not save in true 8bit
Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  01:13:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried many different settings for my c320. Any setting above 8bit(256)colors wouldn't work. 24 X 24 pixels works great. More than that, you would only get a portion of your bmp in that 24 X 24 "window".

James
Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
599 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  01:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
James ... this is exactly what I found.

I haven't used Paint by Slavasoft as Redcloud suggests, but certainly anything over 24x24 seems to get cropped by the machine.

Anything over 8-bit (256 colour) gets garbled.

Redcloud (or someone)- can you explain alpha-channels to me?
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  02:18:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I would examine the image software you are using to create your bmp file. I used XImage and transported an entire page into the c320 (right before the warnings come up), so if it can import a 240x320 bit image, it seems that you can get greater than 24x24 to work, but then again superimposed on a real time map page...???
Second, I don't pretend to be an expert in alpha channels, but here is the information I copied from elsewhere: "In graphics, a portion of each pixel's data that is reserved for transparency information. 32-bit graphics systems contain four channels -- three 8-bit channels for red, green, and blue (RGB) and one 8-bit alpha channel. The alpha channel is really a mask -- it specifies how the pixel's colors should be merged with another pixel when the two are overlaid, one on top of the other.
Typically, you wouldn't define the alpha channel on a pixel-by-pixel basis, but rather per object. Different parts of the object would have different levels of transparency depending on how much you wanted the background to show through. This allows you to create rectangular objects that appear as if they are irregular in shape -- you define the rectangular edges as transparent so that the background shows through."
The custom waypoints used in Mapsource are 32bit images.
Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  03:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red, I DL the Paint Express program you mentioned above. It works the same way my other 2 graphic editing programs work when you save your file. It doesn't matter what program I use, it can not have more than 256 colors to work, and it can not be more than 24 x 24 to fit properly in the "window". I use XImage as well to transfer data to my c320. And besides, why would you want a POI image larger than 24 X 24? Much bigger and it will start to take over your map area.

When I transfer a "Splash Screen", it is 320 X 240 image, understandable, but for a very different reason than a Waypoint icon. I have yet to have any color size issues with the Splash Screen setting.

James

Edited by - James1549 on 11 janv. 2006 03:19:43
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  15:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K., ironically, I never thought of trying over 24x24 and 8 bit color. This is something Garmin should put in the POILoader help file.
Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  15:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Red, I agree it should be in the POILoader HELP file, but I think it really depends on what the specs are for your particular model. The HELP File does say "see your owners manual for..." So I looked through my manual several times, NOTHING. It appears that most of what we do with the c3x0 models, is mostly trial and error to see what and what does not work. Blazing new trails! James

Edited by - James1549 on 11 janv. 2006 15:32:46
Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
599 Posts

Posted - 11 janv. 2006 :  22:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Redcloud. thanks for the info re color encoding, that's a great deal more than I knew about it.

Interesting to me is how the firmware gets updated, so the unit functions quite differently, yet the downloadable users manual remains exactly the same (rev Jul, 2005)
Go to Top of Page

redcloud

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 18 janv. 2006 :  17:46:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is strange that Garmin uses 32 bit for custom waypoint symbols, but can't be used for the c320, or other units. Some units require 16 bit custom waypoint images. No wonder the confusion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0,62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05