Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2270

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 ** Sharing Custom POIs - www.POInUSA.com - v4 **
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

njphilwt

USA
696 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2006 :  06:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When it comes to grabbing data from web sites, it does require a specific skill set as well as programming tools and a method of automatically pulling the pages via http protocol.

However, most of the work here isn't being done that way, and a lot of these lists are starting as regular comma-delimited text files. The primary tool for dealing with CSV files is probably Excel. And that doesn't require any programming.

Phil

27x0 How-To Guide
Convert GPX and CSV files with GPXtoPOI
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2006 :  13:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can get as many separate POI databases into your Garmin unit as you want. They just all need to be in the same directory when you run POI on that directory. Save your POI's as separate files - name them Speedway, Outbook, Honda Dealers, Walmart, etc. Those file names become category names on your Garmin. Put all the files in the SAME directory. Then run POI Loader and point to that directory. All of the files in that directory get loaded.
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2006 :  13:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by njphilwt

When it comes to grabbing data from web sites, it does require a specific skill set as well as programming tools and a method of automatically pulling the pages via http protocol.

However, most of the work here isn't being done that way, and a lot of these lists are starting as regular comma-delimited text files. The primary tool for dealing with CSV files is probably Excel. And that doesn't require any programming.

Phil

27x0 How-To Guide
Convert GPX and CSV files with GPXtoPOI

But people are manually entering the data into the CSV file?
Go to Top of Page

FTLOSM

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2006 :  16:19:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffcarp

You can get as many separate POI databases into your Garmin unit as you want. They just all need to be in the same directory when you run POI on that directory. ......snip........

Jeff Thanks for clearning that up for me, put all files from each zip into one folder, did the poi loader and bam its there, thanks again.

As for the all stores target file, my closest 4 targets are not in the custom target file i uploaded here, it shows the closest target at 70 miles from me, can I manually edit the 4 stores near me into that main custom poi target file and will that work? I noticed when i open in excel the target file shows like this

1421 40.80549 -124.1453

by taking the store address, how can I get the proper above numbers so that I can even attempt to load them in.

STore locations are

495 Haggerty Hwy , Walled Lake, MI 48390-3936 US

355 Summit Dr , Waterford, MI 48328-3366 US

27100 Wixom Rd , Novi, MI 48374-1115 US

and a 4th one is about to open down the road from me but isn't in the system yet...

Last note, on the Costco file it works great i see 3-4 stores within 15-20 miles and that is accurate, but they dont have addresses or city names, all that shows up is the phone numbers, wondered can I edit the local ones here by adding at least city name?

If so do i just go in and edit the excel line sorta like these speedway lines?
-88.0054 41.933509 Speedway 8327 17 West 485 East Lake St - Addison, IL 60101 Auto

then save and re-upload?

Edited by - FTLOSM on 23 févr. 2006 20:09:34
Go to Top of Page

FTLOSM

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2006 :  16:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I drive down the street to that new target or that new sams club that isn't on the website for address yet, i pull into parking lot and on map i can see im there, and i save it to favorites...

Can I move that saved favorites file or somehow manually add that new address for that target or sams to the custom csv file that is in my custom poi's list then re-upload it vs having it only in the favorites area?

One last tiny thing and ill be quiet for a while, once I find a new walmart target costco opening here, is there anyway I can help to get the file updated for everyone else too?

My area 45 mins north of detroit is BOOMING, stuff built every 2-3 weeks a new mall or strip mall opens with a major hub store around it... just tryin to help...cuz as much as it may sound like i am complaining im not, just tryin to learn my way around and hopefully i can donate some time to creating a poi list or two down the road here...

Edited by - FTLOSM on 23 févr. 2006 16:44:31
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 23 févr. 2006 :  17:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure others will have their opinion. There are several sites that convert addresses to lat/long:
www.maporama.com
www.mappoint.com (shows up in url after the search)
www.gpsvisualizer.com (by the way phil, i got it to work like you said - thanks)
there are others.
It's a little sad to hear that you have 4 Targets in your area that aren't in the list.

You can edit your csv file to add locations/addresses/etc. Just make sure and don't add another "column" to it.

As far as updating the file for everyone else too, I believe that the "manager" of the file should be the only one to update the file once someone shows new locations in message form in this topic.

And One more note about saving new locations as favorites. I believe that POIEdit can import your favorites and that should show the lat/long. I could be wrong about that, so hopefully someone will share what they do.

Edited by - mors on 23 févr. 2006 17:55:20
Go to Top of Page

James1549

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  00:57:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

-88.0054 41.933509 Speedway 8327 17 West 485 East Lake St - Addison, IL 60101 Auto
then save and re-upload?

If you are setting up a [.csv] file, it should be in this format:

-88.0054,41.933509,Speedway 8327,"17 West 485
East Lake St
Addison, IL 60101
Auto"
-88.xxxx,41.xxxx,XXXX etc...

James1549

Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  01:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James1549

quote:

then save and re-upload?

If you are setting up a [.csv] file, it should be in this format:

-88.0054,41.933509,Speedway 8327,"17 West 485
East Lake St
Addison, IL 60101
Auto"
-88.xxxx,41.xxxx,XXXX etc...

James1549

What is the purpose of the word Auto? Is there a space between 60101 and Auto? Also, is there a comma between St and Addison? Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  04:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The word "Auto" was on speedway.com's site under the "Diesel/K1" option, so I just included it in the csv file as extra information. Basically, there are 4 columns in the csv that I created. The 3rd column is the name that shows up on the GPS and the 4th column is a description. As long as there are quotes around that column, then a comma is ok; otherwise, it'll think the comma starts a new column and would confuse POILoader. I didn't put the chr(10) "return" character to separate the address/city/phone/extra information like he did in the above example. If users request that, then I will do that. I didn't do that because I wasn't sure if it would mess up converting the file to another format or if all GPS's saw that character as an acceptable character.

James was correct in his example (to have the quotes around it since there was a comma in that "field").

Hope this explains what you're asking.
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  04:46:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does column 4 show up on the Garmin GPS's when nearing the POI or just column 3?
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  04:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is just column 3 that shows up (at least on my i5). Column 4 shows up when you are selecting your POIs from the "Where To?" option.
Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
599 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  08:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mors

And One more note about saving new locations as favorites. I believe that POIEdit can import your favorites and that should show the lat/long. I could be wrong about that, so hopefully someone will share what they do.

The difficulty is getting the favorites OUT of your unit. As yet POIEdit won't do this (for Garmin units, others may differ)

If you have mapsource this is no problem - just get the program to Receive from Device, and they'll be added to whatever GPX file you already have.

If not (ala c330 c340, i5, and some others) you could try the Freeware version of GPSUtility to retrieve the locations from your GPS http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

This version will accept 100 favorites, which can be saved as GPX.

From there you can load them into POIEdit to add them to existing POIs, and save as GPX or Garmin CSV again.

Note that POIEdit does not support the Garmin 4th column / GPX description field (as yet)
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 24 févr. 2006 :  15:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I posted the Kinko's POIs, but it didn't seem to take? I'll try again. These are not verified; however, everything was received straight from the Kinko's website (even the lat/long). The Kinko's website also noted whether the store was "Office & Print" store or a "Ship" store. I put this in the name as "Ship" or "O&P". Sorry I forgot to put "NV" in the name to note that it's not verified.

Kinko's
Go to Top of Page

rxg8tor

6 Posts

Posted - 25 févr. 2006 :  20:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New file loaded, Golf Courses in Palm Beach County FL. Please update the link

Edited by - rxg8tor on 25 févr. 2006 20:46:25
Go to Top of Page

Gorilla800lbs

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 27 févr. 2006 :  17:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
redcloud: is there any chance you'll get around to creating and uploading NY/NJ speedtraps? Huge pretty please?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1,59 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05