Google
  Web www.gpspassion.com

GpsPasSion LIVE!
www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from GpsPasSion Live !. Make your own badge here.

www.NaviBlog.com

Versions

Links/Liens

Portal/Portail
Rechercher

- -

Polls/Sondages
Sondage
Pour vous guider sur la Route :
GPS Mobile (SEM)
GPS Intégré
Smartphone
Autre
Voter  -  Résultat des votes
Votes : 2273

Club GpsPasSion
Soutenez le site!

USA: (US$)
EUROPE: (€)
Guide Paypal

GpsPasSion Forums
Home | Profile | Register/Enregist. | Active Topics | Search/Recherche | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 www.POInUSA.com - Sharing Custom POIs
 Custom POI "Collections"
 ** Sharing Custom POIs - www.POInUSA.com - v4 **
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

njphilwt

USA
696 Posts

Posted - 16 févr. 2006 :  22:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny... I was about to do the same thing. I actually have a program I wrote to do this for another site, and I had started modifying it.

I'm glad I didn't go too much further with it!

Phil
http://www.masterclass.com/guides/garmin2720/StreetPilot_27X0_HowTo.html

Edited by - njphilwt on 16 févr. 2006 22:11:35
Go to Top of Page

florida1

179 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2006 :  15:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have access to a list of 800 USA Harley Dealer waypoints that I would like to easily convert to Custom POI's for use with a 2720, is this possible?

Thank you.

EDIT: This link shows how this is done: http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/gpxtopoidownload.html

Edited by - florida1 on 17 févr. 2006 19:14:38
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 17 févr. 2006 :  23:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by childishidealism

A great POI databaase for me would be of all the biodiesel retailers around the nation. The addresses of a lot of theses can be found at www.biodiesel.org. I will start working on this if I can figure it out.

unfortunately, many of the biodiesel addresses only show "highway 114" with a city name, so those can't be put in an exact location. I tried to place as many as I could and could not find 34 out of 573. Some that I was able to put a lat/long that just had a highway/street name with a city might not be in the exact location either. Might not be worth posting.
Go to Top of Page

FTLOSM

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2006 :  08:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My C340 comes next week, I am reading the posts during my preownership here (never had a gps before) very excited about the arrival and have a road trip for an out of town wedding next weekend & hope it comes before then.

Anyways this is totally jumping the gun since I don't even have my gps yet, but I wanted to ask (still learning about POI's here) when I see links to zip files for WALMART or TARGET Stores etc, wouldn't my gps already have those poi's built in?

Or are these just updates including new stores, corrected addresses, taking out closed or moved stores etc? Hoping my poi's in the unit have most of that basic stuff in there already but I know stores move and open new ones everyday and poi's might need some "help" getting updated by folks that care like you guys and gals :)

I am a big costco/sams/target fan, so if nothing else I will be confirming or adding my own local Michigan stores.

Also, assuming my gps will have for instance locations for radio shack stores in the USA built into them, yet like other stores they move close open new ones often and poi's are behind, may I request if possible a master list of radioshack stores and Speedway Gas Stations nationwide? If requests aren't ok to ask sorry just give me a cyberslap.

As time goes by and I learn more if it isn't too hard I will try to build some nationwide poi lists for stores and or resturants we frequent for myself and others.

Outback Steakhouse is another one we are always looking for while out on road trips, hopefully the preloaded poi stuff is 85% accurate and will include most of these things we would be looking for and get us to our poi choice 4 of 5 times...

Bill :)
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 19 févr. 2006 :  16:47:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FTLOSM:

I (like you) have never used a GPS before - I received my i5 last week and think it is very cool. As far as the POIs go, they are VERY VERY outdated. It is pitiful. We have 4 Walmarts in town and 1 just outside of town, and my GPS only shows ONE. We have 1 Target and 1 Best Buy and it doesn't show either. Best Buy is at least 10 years old and Target is older. So if I were you I would definitely pick these files up (although, the Wal-mart file on this thread only shows 2 of my Wal-Mart's). When we go out of town, we always seem to need a wal-mart, target, or walgreens...some type of store like that. Please note that the wal-mart file in this thread is a little corrupt (there are a few lines where there's an extra comma). Once I found that error, I added the rest of my Wal-Mart's and a couple of others that were in this thread. What's strange is my GPS came with the Walgreen's that's a block away from my house and it is newer than both the Best Buy and Target, so it's like they're not updating the POIs. There are a ton of POIs it seems that comes pre-loaded, just how accurate/current they are?? good question.

As far as asking about POI databases, I'm assuming it's ok to do that here. I just finished a Circuit City one (from their website) and am currently working on Best Buy.
Go to Top of Page

njphilwt

USA
696 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  00:12:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The built in POI's are definitely lacking in V7. Let's hope for something better in V8.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the Best Buy listing.

I haven't looked at the recent additions, but are you folks still generating CSV's, or have we switched to GPX now?

I can't see a reason to stick with CSV at this point, since the new POI loader handles GPX.

Phil
http://www.masterclass.com/gpxtopoi/gpxtopoidownload.html

Edited by - njphilwt on 20 févr. 2006 00:47:42
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  00:34:15  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Why not, but csv does work for most of the basic information and can be handled by POIedit for cross-platform compatibility (TomTom, Destinator, Navman, etc...). I haven't had a chance to look into it, but are these .gpx files readable with POIedit ?

njphilwt

USA
696 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  00:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I don't think POIedit reads GPX.

I'm using MapSource as my main editor, and it works nicely. So skipping the conversion and going directly to POIloader makes sense to me.

Most of the lists I've built started in Excel with addresses only. Then I added coordinates automatically using GPSvisualizer. Then GPXtoPOI for converting to GPX for MapSource (to verify and tweak the coordinates, sometimes using Google Earth).

Once I'm in MapSource, I just save to GPX and then I run POIloader.

Phil

Edited by - njphilwt on 20 févr. 2006 00:55:47
Go to Top of Page

gpspassion

93997 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  01:04:27  Show Profile  Visit gpspassion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not good for cross-platform compatibility then, not just Garmin users on the site, lest we forget ;-) Actually POIedit does read GPX, just not sure it reads that particular version, do you have a sample file we could try ? POIedit has the advantage of offering a direct link to Mapquest/Mappoint and its own maps as well (added in paragraph 4 of the first page).

njphilwt

USA
696 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  01:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so I just looked it up. According to the POIedit site, they support the Garmin formats (GPX and CSV) in the last version or so of POIedit.

Also, if people prefer the CSV format, that's fine by me. And it does have one obvious benefit; size. The CSV files are much smaller.

Phil

Edited by - njphilwt on 20 févr. 2006 05:06:24
Go to Top of Page

hcornea

Australia
599 Posts

Posted - 20 févr. 2006 :  08:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GPX is slightly more versatile.

The proximity Tag can be used independently of the speed for (eg)Speed Cams, thus making it possible to restrict the circle in which you are alerted, but KEEP the alert speed parameter.

It also displays as a neat circle on Mapsource, when you do this.

POIEdit will read Garmin CSV and GPX files (see several of my posts, about 2 months ago

The issue with interconversion is the loss of Tags - such as the proximity tag which Mapsource applies to the POIs when they are opened in POIEdit.

Dave from dNote (POIEdit) is apparently looking into keeping additional GPX information when opening files (according to the development ToDo thread on the website), but in the interim there is significant loss of information (both the Garmin 4th column, and additional Tags) when opening GPX files in POIEdit.

My speedcam file is now a GPX - mainly because of the feature above, so I edit in in Mapsource - and I have been (am) a staunch POIEdit user

If someone wanted to use the file in TomTom, it would still open in POIEdit, and then could be saved (albeit with some loss of information) as an ov2.

At least GPX is a standard of some sorts, as opposed to numerous propreitary CSV formats, which are similar but just a little different.
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  15:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a list of Speedway/Superamerica gas stations from their website at www.speedway.com. Note that some could only be located to the city. If there are errors or additions/deletions, please inform me and i'll update the file.

Speedway/Superamerica
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  19:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best Buy POIs:

Well, the Best Buy site is way too slow to get addresses (would take a few more days just to get addresses), so I took a different route and went through whitepages.com (it has lat/long in their pages already). During some cleanup, I noticed 1 Best Buy that wasn't there. I added that one, but there might be others. This list will at least be better than the POIs that are already on your GPS (mine is there although it was on the wrong side of the mall). If there are any corrections, please let me know. Sorry, I'm new at this and am not familiar with formats other than csv. I do plan on finishing running through the bestbuy.com site and will check for any stores not listed.

Best Buy

Edited by - mors on 21 févr. 2006 19:38:30
Go to Top of Page

mors

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  21:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outback POIs:
Outback
Go to Top of Page

jeffcarp

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 21 févr. 2006 :  23:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mors

Outback POIs:
Outback

I am pretty familiar with getting a data set into my 2730 from various sources, using some of the conversion services available and POIEdit, etc. But what is your workflow for actually getting the addresses into a format to start this process? For example, I'd love to have all the Kinko's locations in my system. I don't mind doing some manual labor to get it done. But I am not sure where to start. The location service on Kinko's website gives you 5 or so stores at a time which would inconceivable to develop a comprehensive list at that pace - copy/paste/copy/paste a thousand times! How are you getting the data to begin with to develop some of these POI files? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply/Répondre
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GpsPasSion Forums © 2002-2014_GpsPasSion/Manzanite Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 4,3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05